Lions Prepare for Redskins

Posted by Tara Altman on September 23, 2009 – 8:43 pm

The Detroit Lions went back to work this afternoon in preparation for the Redskins at Ford Field this Sunday.

After limiting Vikings’ running back Adrian Peterson to 92 rushing yards in last weekends contest, the Lions defense will have another tough back to face in Pro Bowler Clinton Portis who carried the ball 342 times for 1,487 yards last season, finishing third amongst NFL rushers.

Head Coach Jim Schwartz: “They’re running a lot of the zone stretch stuff. It’s more of a one cut style. Adrian Peterson has the strength to go blast it inside (and) he’s got the speed to go outside. Clinton Portis is the classic one cut running back. He’s got great vision. He’s got great open field ability to run the screen. They run a lot of screens to him. He rushed almost 1,500 yards last year on a team that ran the ball very well. That’s because what they do fits him as a runner.”

The Lions offense will also have a challenge ahead of them with defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth in the middle.

Haynesworth, who posted 75 tackles and 8.5 sacks (52.5 yards) in 2008, spent the previous seven seasons of his career in Tennesse under Schwartz.

Haynesworth: “I just like him (Schwartz) as a person. He’s a good dude. You can joke with him. You can have fun with him, and then he’s serious. He knows the game and if he’s going to be your head coach, and he coaches the same way when he was a d-coordinator, you should expect good things out of Detroit.”

9 Responses to “Lions Prepare for Redskins”

1. By JB on Sep 24, 2009 | Reply

I want the lions to win this Sunday. This is the week to show the NFL that you are professionals. The Redskins have not produced much offense so far this season. Take advantage – run up the score. Come on team, I believe you know how to win. It’s time you believe you will win. Look the Redskins in the eyes and pound out 4 quarters to victory. Come on team; you were good playing college ball and that’s why you are now playing professional ball. Be professionals and win. Move the ball – score in the red zone.

2. By big wezzie on Sep 24, 2009 | Reply

why dont we play derrick williams we need a shifty receiver that can make something happen in space the kid is the perfect slot man.

3. By RICHARD on Sep 24, 2009 | Reply

HEY COACH SEE IF YOU CAN GET THE TEAM TO UNDERSTAND FOOTBALL
    IS A 4 QUARTER 60 MINUTE GAME….JUST A THOUGHT

4. By R. Ramirez (Texas) on Sep 25, 2009 | Reply

First of all coach. I think you’re the perfect man for this job. Like your attitude and what you have done. It takes time to rebuild a team, and i honestly believe you are doing a great job in the fastest smartest manner. Glad to have you as the Lions coach. The wins will come about..We just have to be patient and hard working..All aspects of the team will come around! Let’s Go Lions!!!

5. By RICHARD on Sep 25, 2009 | Reply

WELL HERE WE ARE AGAIN, TALKING ABOUT HOW WE NEED A WIN, AND WHAT WE NEED TO DO TO WIN. BUT IT HAS BEEN 9 YEARS SINCE THE LIONS
    HAVE DONE AT LEAST 8 AND 8, YES THE YEAR 2000, BOBBY ROSS WAS
    HEAD COACH. (BUT FOR ONLY PART OF THE SEASON). SO YOU WILL HAVE
    TO FORGIVE ME WHEN I SAY “TALKING DOES NOT WIN GAMES” AND WE THE
    FANS HAVE HEARD JUST ABOUT ALL OF IT ( FOR 9 SEASONS), DOES NOT
    MATTER HOW UPBEAT THE TEAM IS, THEY HAVE TO PLAY TOUGHER AND
    SMARTER THAN THE OPPONENT. THAT IS THE BOTTOM LINE, IF A WIN IS
    WHAT YOU TRUELY DISIRE THAN SELL YOURSELF OUT TO THE GAME. THE
    QUARTER, THE PLAY, BUT PLEASE DON’T COME TO US MONDAY AND TALK
    ABOUT WHAT SHOULD HAVE DONE DIFFERENT, BECAUSE HAD YOU
    HAVE DONE IT ….WELL GUESS YOU WOULD’NT HAVE TO TALK ABOUT IT.

6. By don on Sep 26, 2009 | Reply

I am here to apologise to backus for blaming him for the missed blocking opertunity!
    And to the one who’s responsability it was I am very surprised that you would make that kind of mistake!
    I’m not going to mention your name,you know who you are and so do I.
    And I know that you are more than capable to remember what you are to do with these plays and I hope that if you don’t that you would digg out the playBook and make sure you know them all.
    That way you won’t miss the assignment and I won’t blame the wrong people!
    BUT anyway,I totaly believe in this TEAM and I know that this TEAM can take this game!
    And I don’t know what happened after the half last game BUT, this has happened in the past with this TEAM. I don’t know if it feels so ggod to get a touchdown that you forget that you have another half to play or what?
    However I know that this TEAM is better than that!
    SO this week and from now on when we score a TD.THEN we go get it back as soon as possible and go score another one.
    AND with this TEAM I believe that it can be that easy!
    THIS TEAM IS READY!
    MY advice to Mathew would be to stop forcing the ball and if your not sure than do something else with it.
    either run,find another open man or throw it away.
    It is that simple.(:
    PLEASE< stop listening to all the negative people!Media and whoever.
    THIS TEAM is ready to break out and start winning.
    THIS is it.SO GO take it!
    WIN and KEEP ON WINNING!

7. By Zach on Sep 26, 2009 | Reply

I’ve seen more downs then up with the Lions since 2001. I really understand that everyone what a win and rightfully so. We the truly loyal Lions fans are hungry for a win. I also understand the point of new regime is trying to make. We are bringing personal in to fill in gaps.
    I can always find negative issues to bring up, but the one thing is that I like so far is the no quit aspect in this team.
    We want a win, the players want a win, lets do it and make the league respect this franchise again.

8. By Doug on Sep 26, 2009 | Reply

I am the president of the SW Florida Detroit Lions Fan Club. Last week we had over thirty “die hard” local Lions fans show up at our local Beef O’Brady’s to cheer on the Lions. My point is this…Lions fans are EVERYWHERE. We all live and die with each game, and lately we’ve been dieing. It does my heart good to see our club members come out each week and keep the faith. Sure, it’s tough being a Lions fan, but our day is comming, and Swartz and Company are the coaching staff to get it done. All things being equal in the NFL, motivation is key to winning games…more mental than physical…last week the Vikes turned it up and we retreated! Coach, challenge these guys to “man up” and take the battle to them, not the other way around!

Lions lover in Florida

9. By Dijuu on Sep 27, 2009 | Reply

HEY ALL YOU LIONS FANS! I heard about the blackout and I’m sorry for you because even though I’m a Redskins fan for life the Lions are kicking butt today! You should see the rookie QB, Stafford…poetry in motion! He nfloats the ball! He moves…I bet he has the most rushing yards at half time, lol. That’s what it is now, Lions 13…Redskins 0 at the half. Gotta give props where they are deserved and you should see them!