Lions Grab First Win of Season

Posted by Tara Altman on September 27, 2009 – 9:44 pm

The Lions picked up their first win of the season today as they defeated the Washington Redskins, 19-14.

QB Matthew Stafford put out a solid performance as he connected on 21-of-36 passes for 241 yards and a touchdown for a quarterback passer rating of 87.8.

Stafford: “It’s awesome. It’s great for not only the guys in the locker room, but the fans, the town – everybody. Hopefully we can keep this thing going. We played well on offense, defense and special teams. It wasn’t just one part of our team that got it done today. Defense stopped them when they needed to. We mustered up enough points in the second half to get the job done and it’s just a tribute to everybody sticking together and pulling through.”

Head Coach Jim Schwartz was pleased with the team’s performance and the fact that the weight of last season’s record has now been lifted.

Schwartz: “We weren’t 0-2. Our guys were carrying the burden of 0-19, and it was unfair to them. But this gets us off of that and puts it behind us.

“Half our team was new, so they didn’t have the burden, but I think the organization had a burden and the city of Detroit felt it. Honestly, that game shouldn’t have been that close. We had a couple of plays that we left on the field that we could have not had to hold on at the very end of that game.”

Tags: ,

8 Responses to “Lions Grab First Win of Season”

1. By Dino (georgia) on Sep 28, 2009 | Reply

congrats!!!!!!!!!!!… great game!!!!!!!!!!!… as i said.. foundation set.. build from here… good luck next…. week win number 2? it will be a great game

2. By Tana Blue on Sep 28, 2009 | Reply

I am so proud of my team! Being away from home makes me sad, however, I’m still representing for my home team. Good job guys! I knew you could do it. No matter what, I’m still down for my team…

3. By Doug on Sep 28, 2009 | Reply

How is Kevin Smith???

4. By Zach on Sep 28, 2009 | Reply

Great Game yesterday Lions. I’m still waiting for the Nay Sayers to say something. A complete game from everyone. Great job to everyone. Hope that Smith’s shoulder is doing fine? Again, great work out their Lions.

5. By R. Ramirez (Texas) on Sep 29, 2009 | Reply

I knew it was coming! Thanks a lot LIONS!! I know you can keep it going! You all will be just fine! Way to go Matthew Stafford! Awesome job O-Line! Way to get at them Defense! An all around effort this past Sunday against the skins just like all the other games except we got the win this time well deserved!!! Get the Bears I know you can.!!! Let’s Go LIONSSSSS!

6. By don on Sep 29, 2009 | Reply

Well, I am very proud of my TEAM! They played as if they believed it even before it happened!Do the same with the next game prepare and believe and trust and do what you got to do!
    That is what I’m talkin about a total TEAM effort and no excuses! This TEAM will just get better and better as time goes on!
    IT makes me totaly happy to see a TEAM out there on the field working together for one purpose one common goal!
    And I hope that this TEAM becomes the band of brothers that it is ment to be.
    Yes,you left a few things on the field BUT,you didn’t leave the game on the field! And that is the important thing! YOU left NO excuses! And I am proud of that!
    The ones that you left there will start to come to fruition,because the only reason that some of them got left there was because this TEAM was trying so hard!
    Next game it will be less left on the Field because you know you can do it!
    And you can do it with confidence and skill.
    I knew that you were going to win! I don’t know how but I did. I think it is becuase I and we as fans believe in you. And because I believe that you are Finaly believeing it too!
    I LOVE THE DETROIT LIONS! Thank you for this win and all that will come in the future one at a time!
    IT feels good to win!
    Again thank you for working so hard and believeing that you can and being a TEAM!
    LIONS!

7. By Shahji on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

I really like that.

8. By Detroit Lions #1 on May 30, 2012 | Reply

I can’t wait for this season!!! Super Bowl here we come! GO LIONS!!!