Steelers Present Tough Defense

Posted by Tara Altman on October 8, 2009 – 9:10 pm

From day one of training camp, the offense’s main focus has been to run the football. In Week 5, the philosophy remains the same.

Last week in Chicago, the offense rushed for only 90 yards, and this Sunday it won’t get any easier. The Steelers defense brings its patented 3-4 defense, which is ranked fourth in the NFL in rush defense.

Center Dominic Raiola is aware of the challenge and feels this game will be a good measuring stick.

Raiola: “Every week we are trying to improve on it. That’s what we set out to do going into this season. It’s going to get better every week. We’ll have to see what we can do. I mean, you figure out things to improve on week-to-week, and come up with better things to do. I think it is just more of a challenge to see where are run game is.

“It’s just different. We make our little adjustments here and there. We have 3-4 rules and then we have 3-4 rules, so we just go over the 3-4 rules. It is a little more preparation because we don’t go against it a lot, but it’s going to be good for us because we are going against two 3-4 defenses in a row.

Fullback Jerome Felton, who has played an essential role in the Lions offense, believes the running game has suffered due to a lack of execution and this week he knows there will be no room for error.

Felton:  “I just think it was execution (against Chicago). We watched the game and went back on Monday and watched film and I just feel like we didn’t execute when we needed to. We knew they were going to put a lot of people in the box and we were going to throw it early and that’s what we did and we were successful at it. Then, when they took a guy out and went to stop the passing game we should have been a lot more successful running the ball.

“It all comes down to execution and that’s something that’s always a work in progress and that’s something that we have to come in here this week and correct. They’re not going to give you anything cheap; you’ll have to earn everything you get. They’re just a tough bunch and you have to match the intensity and be physical to go play against them.”

The majority of the defenses the Lions will face this year will run a 4-3 defense and Raiola and Felton that facing a 3-4 requires extra preparation in game planning.

Felton: “We practiced against a 4-3 all through training camp and most of the team’s that we play have been a 4-3, so when you go up against a 3-4 you have two big outside linebackers that are really good at rushing the passer and you have three big guys in the middle. You don’t really get a lot of push on it because they’re really big up front, so you have to get a lot of stretch and try to respond to gaps on the defense. It’s definitely challenging and something that we’re really going to have to focus in on and execute our game plan to be successful.”

8 Responses to “Steelers Present Tough Defense”

1. By don on Oct 9, 2009 | Reply

Well I hope that for your sakes and ours that it all comes together! I know that it can.
    You guy’s can beat out every team that we face. And I know it. And it’s the same thing with you guys ias it is the QB don’t second guess yourselves so much.
    I would hope that you guys are studying the plays all the time and not just going thru them once or twice and then just go along with game plans.
    And I was wondering and not that it will matter right now for this game BUT, I would hope that you guys are continueing working out in the wieght room.
    Sorry, I think I know it all or some garbage.
    I just know that this TEAM this Offnce and this offencive line can do it and beat out yes the Steelers and not just them BUT everyone else too!
    And again some of you guy’s have to get this TEAM Pumped up after half time. I would really like to see you guys come out and just completely take over the Game after the half!
    This TEAM can run, and I expect to see us running a lot and making it all the way into the endzone!
    Someone has to get Kevin motivated aalthough I think he will feal more like palying this week than he has in a while.
    Felton you are the Man! And I have liked what you’ve been doing in this offence I know you have made a couple of mistakes but everyone does.
    However I love watching you use that power of yours to make your runs and when you drive to that endzone!
    Lets do it somemore!
    Anyways I don’t have much more to say other than I wish I would try to give so much advise.
    Jus tgo get this WIN!
    NO exuses, DO IT!
    WE CAN WIN AGAINST THEM ALL!
    as far as the 3-4 defence you have been practicing it so you must know it now go Exacute it!
    LIONS!

2. By don on Oct 10, 2009 | Reply

In this Game it should make NO diierance who the QB is in this Game.
    Whoever the QB ends up being weather it is Dante or Mathew,everyone should be trying to win this game.
    And I hope and pray that,that is the way it is!
    Stafford getting the Nod over Dante is NO differant than Levy getting the Nod over one of the other LBers.
    I truly hope that there isn’t any contraversy over the QB position.
    Because if there is then it will end up hurting the FANS and the PLAYERS who could have all wins if everyone would back everyone up!
    NO matter which one gets the NOD!
    If it’s Dante then everyone should back him!
    If it’s Stafford then everyone should back him.
    If you don’t back one as much as the other then your NOT A TEAM!
    LIONS!

3. By Brian, Detroit, MI on Oct 11, 2009 | Reply

In the poll many people have been choosing the passing game on which to focus. Hasn’t that been the focus for the past several years? And, pardon my asking, but what has that shown in the past several years. We focus on the passing but continue to fail anyway.

If you ask me the running game defense is where the focus should be.

And I know that Culpepper has more experience but when the pass is not there, he looks like a deer in headlights, at least that is what I’ve seen from the preseason. And when the pass isn’t there for Stafford, he at least looks for a few yards. But then he is not defended well so it looks like your offensive line prefers Culpepper. But at least Stafford can get a few yards.

So maybe tell your offensive line to back Stafford when he can’t find a receiver or please someone teach Culpepper to RUN!

4. By don on Oct 11, 2009 | Reply

I too wish that this TEAM would back Stafford and I donj’t think that everyone on this TEAM is really behind him all the way and that is Sad.
    I believe that we should back whatever QB is in the game. And I do NOT believe that that is the case!
    It will only work out to hurt the TEAM as a whole.
    Well today we have the Steelers and I hope that whoever is the QB that this TEAM backs the QB and Plays the whole game thru, and WE win the Game!
    There is no way that this TEAM can’t win against any TEAM in this League, The Only ones stopping that from happening is the LIONS!
    So Let’s let this happen from NOW ON: LETS WIN!
    I hope that this TEAM turns into a real TEAM!
    And in order to be a REAL TEAM YOU HAVE TO BACK YOU TEAM MATES NO MATTER WHAT! YES,

5. By don on Oct 12, 2009 | Reply

That was a great game Today and hard fought by all of you. I was proud to be a LIONS FAN today with the WAy we fought the Superbowl champs.
    I hope that we have that same effort in every game that we play!
    And No matter who the QB is.
    Whoever is the Qb they cannot do it by themslves.
    So Back our QB NO matter who tha QB is.
    LIONS!

6. By mick on Oct 12, 2009 | Reply

Again the offensive offensive line showed its true colors. Kevin Smith could not drive through the small windows and the Lions could not establish the run. Maybe with double tightends and a pro set with Calvin running his lonesome would allow Culpepper time to throw. That’s crazy. You must DRAFT offensive linemen. Williams was a pleasant surprise. Culpepper lacks the punch of Stafford in the red zone. That means alot of field goal attempts and games lost because of lack of points.

7. By mick on Oct 13, 2009 | Reply

The Lions need better talent in key positions. The secondary needs more press coverage. We could use Ed Reed in a big way. Our first pick should be Eric Berry or Taylor Mays if their available. Then focus our picks on the best OT move up get a running back in the late second for a Culpepper trade(you will probably have to give up a 4th or a 5th) if our TCU back does not kick it up a notch this year. Then a CB then a pair of OG. I wish I could be more positive because I know the players want to win. Sorry, but this team needs more talent.

8. By mick on Oct 14, 2009 | Reply

Jim Schwartz needs to start kicking booty. No more mistakes accepted and start getting in the faces of players on the sidelines during the games. From the little I know of this coach, this is probably not his style. Lack of talent or not this team needs a kick in the pants big time. I would have called a time out after the first sack during the game tying drive. Pulled my offensive line together and give them a nasty stare for 60 seconds. No, this won’t solve the lack of talent on this team but you might squeeze out more wins this season and set the standard for next year.