Despite Injuries, Culpepper sees Positives

Posted by Tara Altman on October 16, 2009 – 8:03 pm

Heading into their final game before the bye week, the Lions are one of many teams suffering from injuries and several players have been thrust into greater roles than they had taken on previously.

At wide receiver, the injury to Calvin Johnson that took him out of last week’s game vs. Pittsburgh forced other receivers to step up their game. Dennis Northcutt and Derrick Williams, who saw his greatest amount of playing time since being drafted in the third round of this year’s draft, both made plays in the game to give the Lions a chance to come back.

Quarterback Daunte Culpepper, who also stepped in for the injured rookie Matthew Stafford, believes that the ability for backup players to step in is a positive for the Lions, and expects players to do the same on Sunday against the Packers.

Culpepper: “You’ve got guys who have to step up. It’s an opportunity for certain guys who have made plays in the past and have worked hard to get to this level, they know that when you have an opportunity to go out and make a play you’ve got to step up and do it.”

Since the Lions bye week—and a chance for injuries to heal—is still a week away, those players stepping up will be key to getting a victory at Green Bay.

A Lions win at Lambeau Field which would be the first since 1991, but despite the losing streak, the Lions insist that they’re approaching this one like any other road game and focusing on winning, no matter where it takes place.

When asked if he thought about breaking the streak, Culpepper was quick to rule it out as a factor.

Culpepper: “The thing is you’ve got to focus on what you can handle, and that’s going out and playing winning football. That’s what we’ve got to do to come back with the win, and that’s our main goal. Everything that happened in the past really doesn’t matter. It’s all about us going out, executing our game plan at a high level, and doing whatever it takes to win.”

14 Responses to “Despite Injuries, Culpepper sees Positives”

1. By RICHARD on Oct 16, 2009 | Reply

WELL MR. CULPEPPER DON’T KNOW IF YOU READ THIS,,BUT FOR WHAT IT’S
    WORTH..THE “PAST” DOES MATTER, BECAUSE IF ONE DOES NOT LEARN FROM ONE’S MISTAKES ONE IS DOOMED TO REPEAT THEM…
    CHAMPIONS ARE CHAMPIONS BECAUSE THEY ARE PREPARED TO MEET
    ADVERISITY HEAD-ON…IT IS OF MY OPINION THAT “E V E R Y” PLAYER
    THAT HAS THE ABILITY TO TAKE THE FIELD SHOULD BE PREPARED TO
    THE BEST OF THIER ABILITY, AND WITH SOME THAT MAY MEAN EXTRA
    TIME IN THE PLAYBOOK,,FILM ROOM,AND PRACTICE FIELD, AND YES
    SOMETIMES BY THEMSELVES,,TO BECOME FULLY PREPARED TO TAKE
    ON THE CHALLENGE,,,I’VE HEARD MANY, MANY TIMES IN THE PAST THAT
    THIS TEAM HAS AN ATTITUDE TO WIN,,BUT ATTITUDE IS ONLY THE HALF
    OF IT,,ACTION MUST ACCOMPANY ATTITUDE…A COMMITMENT TO GO
    ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ACHEIVE WHAT HAS COME TO BE KNOWN AS
    EXCELLENCE…AND ONLY THOSE WHO TRUELY UNDERSTAND THIS HAVE
    BECOME GREAT PLAYERS,,,,,WHO WILL BE THE NEXT GREAT PLAYER???
    WELL THAT IS UP TO THE INDIVIDUAL,,,ISN’T IT,,,WILL IT BE A DETROIT LION?
    I WELCOME ANY AND ALL COMMENTS……

2. By don on Oct 17, 2009 | Reply

Well, Richard I have to say that I agree with what you are saying.
    I am also wondering and i’m pretty sure that I right if you were brought up in the Detroit or metro Detroit area.
    Because there are and still is a lot of us that have these idea’s about Football.
    I know that Larry Foote Grew up in Detroit and I grew up in the metro Detroit area.
    And most of us that played Football in this Town were Taught to play with the attitude that there is NO exuses and you must give it everything that you have and it is not just your right BUT YOUR DUTY TO DO YOUR VERY BEST OR GET OFF THE FIELD!
    AND I BELIEVE THAT THERE ARE A LOT OF CITIES ACROSS AMERICA AND SMALL TOWNS THAT HAVE THIS SAME TYPE OF FOOTBALL UPBRINGING!
    And It is disturbing then to watch YOUR football TEAM your PROFESIONAL FOOTBALL TEAM LOOSE OR NOT GIVE IT THIER ALL OR THE VERY WORST MAKE UP EXCUSES!

WELL, I believe that we are putting together a TEAM that has the same type of mentality that we were brought up with.
    The mentality of win at all costs or go home a loser! AND THAT IS UN EXCEPTABLE

And THIS TEAM is going to be a WINNER!
    I don’t know when it is going to hit this TEAM? BUT it will. WHY? Because we have a coach that doesn’t believe in excuses!
    And he is finding FOOTBALL PLAYERS THAT DON”T BELIEVE IN EXCUSES EITHER!
    So HOLD YOUR PANTS ON AND WE WILL SEE THIS TEAM BLOSSOM.
    The seed has been planted.
    And the roots are hanging on as they should and the plant is starting to grow.
    And right now it is small and as it sits it is being stepped on here and there by passers by that travel the same neck of woods.
    NOW the test will come. Will this TEAM become the Giant REDWOOD that we have planted OR will it get trampled underfoot!
    THE coach plants the seed and NOW IT”S UP TO THE PLAYERS TO KEEP IT GROWING AND KEEP the SEED WATERED.

I know we all want some miricle grow.
    And I here that that stuff works great.
    If there is a coach that has any for this TEAM I believe that it’s the coaches that we have. AND the Players.
    TIME TO BUST OPEN PLANT AND GET Some more LIGHT!
    I believe That we will BECOME THAT GIANT REDWOOD!
    SO LETS TAKE PART OF OUR ROOT SYSTEM AND EAT US SOME CHEESE, Heck LETS DEVOUR THE CHEESE! EAT IT ALL!

I HOPE that this TEAM realizes that if we devour this cheese right NOW that there wont be any cheese to smuther us with for a long time.
    IN other words and I trully believe this that the cheese is really afraid of us right now and if we consume all the cheese today(Tomorrow) that it will not have enough cheese made to smuther us with again for a long time! SO DEVOUR IT ON SUNDAY!

IF we beat GREENBAY this weekend I believe that we will have thier NUMBER for a long time!
    AND we will take the advantage from them for a long time.
    OUT OF ALL the TEAMS in this DIVISION I believe that this TEAM GREENBAY is more worried about us than the other two! SO TAKE THESE CHEESEBALLS DOWN WHILE THEY ARE WORRIED. and THEN WE CAN KEEP THEM THERE FOR A LONG TIME.

WE CAN WIN THIS GAME AND THERE ISN’T ANY EXCUSES FOR A LOSE! NOT INJURIES NOT QB NOT RUNNING BACK,NOT D-LINE OR O-LINE! NOTHING! NODDA!

we WALK AWAY FROM THIS ONE WINNERS,I DON’T WANT TO HEAR NOTHING DIFFERANT.

AND DON’T EVEN TRY TO USE PENALTIES OR ANYTHING ELSE AS AN EXCUSE!
    GO OUT THERE AND PLAY A PERFECT GAME AND WIN!

OK I’LL SHUT UP NOW.
    LIONS!

3. By RICHARD on Oct 18, 2009 | Reply

WELL..MR DON , I AM NOT FROM MICHIGAN, BUT HAVE LIVED THERE FOR
    THE BETTER PART OF 20 YEARS. AND HAVE ON MANY OCCASION SLIPPED
    ON MY DETROIT JERSEY, HEADED TO PONTIAC HRS. BEFORE THE GAME
    SET OUT THE LIONS FLAG BUSTED OUT THE GRILL AND LIONS COOLER.
    THREW A FEW THINGS ON THE GRILL, GRABBED A BEVERAGE,AND TOSSED
    THE OLE LIONS PIGSKIN…BUT AS EVERYTHING DOES,,,THE GOOD OLE DAYS
    ARE NOT SO GOOD,,,ALTHOUGH TAILGATEING IS FUN FOR THE FANS.THE
    GAME OF FOOTBALL HAS SOMEHOW LOST IT’S (for lack of a better word) CHARM, SINCE IT BECAME LIKE A BUSINESS, THROUGH FREE AGENCY,AND
    THE SALARY CAP…SO YOU SEE (AT LEAST FOR ME) TO LATCH ONTO A
    TEAM AND OR PLAYER AS WE DID AS YOUNGSTERS SEEM TO BE GONE.
    AND THAT IS A DAMN SHAME…..BACK IN THE DAY WHEN A PLAYER WAS
    DRAFTED HE PRETTY MUCH STAYED WITH THAT TEAM FOR HIS CAREER.
    BUT NOWDAYS PLAYERS AND COACHES SEEM TO “HITCH” THEIR LOYALTY
    WAGON TO WHATEVER CITY THEY ARE IN…AND PLEASE PEOPLE DON’T
    SAY I’M OFF KEY HERE….’CAUSE I’LL GIVE YOU JUST TWO GOOD EXAMPLES
    BRETT FARVE, AND 0UR NOW BACKUP QB I KNOW THAT JUST A FEW
    SHORT SEASONS AGO WE ALL WANTED OUR “D” TO SACK CULPEPPER AND
    NOW WE WANT OUR OFFENSIVE LINE TO KEEP HIM ON HIS FEET. I STILL
    WATCH EVERY WEEK,,EVERY SEASON,,, BUT NO LONGER DO THE TAILGATE
    AND AT THE END OF EVERY SEASON ME AND THE BOYS WONDER HOW
    MANY PLAYERS WILL STILL BE LIONS NEXT YEAR,,,SO HOW MANY SEEDS
    WILL GROW IN DETRIOT IF THEY KEEP GETTING PULLED OUT OF THE GROUND
    BECAUSE OF THE BUSINESS OF FOOTBALL? SO AS FOR ME I SAY TO HELL
    WITH THE BUSINESS OF FOOTBALL LETS BUILD A TEAM IN DETROIT THE WILL
    BE FEARED AND TALKED ABOUT “IN THE POSITVE” FOR YEARS TO COME
    WHOS WITH ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LET’S HEARS IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

4. By don on Oct 18, 2009 | Reply

I’LL TRY TO GET BACK WITH YOU ON WHAT YOU WERE WRITING rICHARD BUT FOR TODAY “game day” I JUST HAVE THIS TO SAY TO THE team IF THEY ACUALLY READ THIS STUFF!
    NO EXCUSES!
    WE can WIN this game and I know it!
    AND that is what I expect to happen today!
    If you have really paid attn. to your rival this past week you would relize that even though they have had some cocky things to say(some of them thier fans)that they are really worrying about how this game will go today!
    WE have this rival where we want them.
    And If we don’t win this game it isn’t because they won it will be because we lost it!
    SO,Today LIONS! you should be going into this game knowing that if you give it all in this game that we should be comming home the VICTORS!
    AGAIN,NO EXCUSES! TAKE THIS GAME! THE WHOLE GAME ALL THE WAY TILL THE END! AND DEFEAT THIS PACKER TEAM!
    LIONS!

5. By mick on Oct 19, 2009 | Reply

All I heard from the media in Green Bay and Chicago is that the Lions are a joke. I bring this up not to rub it in the faces of the Lions but as a fan it’s quite disheartening. I understand the turn around is not going to happen overnight, but losing is getting old. I feel sorry for JS who is trying to revamp the Lions. Without Calvin or Stafford the Lions are pathetic at best. I’m already looking forward to the 2010 draft. The secondary,o ffensive line and defensive line need to be addressed. Draft needs on defense in order S CB DE DT. On offense OT RB OG. I think our biggest need is Safety. Delmas needs help and especially with our corners. Our second and third pick should be OT or CB which ever is the best of the two positions. The rest of the draft DE then OG. Since Cullpepper trade bait has fallen off the map, Mayhew must find a way to obtain an additional second round pick. The Lions need a complimentary running back to Kevin Smith. A running back with alot of speed and a background of durability. Backs get nicked up all the time and Brown has come along way from when he started, but I know we need someone quicker. Unless the Lions can turn it around I can guarantee Mr. Mayhews first pick will be Eric Berry. Mr Mayhew please protect your QB by revamping the offensive line. Not with NFL retreads from other teams but drafted players. I believe that many Lions fans are unwilling to wait another 3 to 4 years before everything falls into place. This coming draft the Lions need to acquire extra early picks even if it’s trading away 2011 picks. Their is only so much losing one can take.

6. By RICHARD on Oct 19, 2009 | Reply

MICK I BELIEVE THAT YOU MAY BE MISSING THE POINT,,,,THIS TEAM HAS
    BEEN TRYING TO REBULID FOR QUITE SOME TIME,,WITH THE THOUGHT THAT
    SOMEHOW THE TEAM WILL BE BETTER,STRONGER,MORE AGGRESSIVE..
    I AS WELL AS MANY OTHER FOLLOWERS OF THIS TEAM HAVE HEARD
    THE SAME OVER AND OVER….HERE ARE A FEW EXAMPLES OF WHAT’S
    BEEN SAID ….WE ARE AWARE OF THE PROBLEMS IN THE SECONDARY AND
    WE WILL BE ADDRESSING THIS…OR OUR DEFENSE NEEDS TO TIGHTEN UP
    AND BE MORE AGGRESIVE IN GETTING TO THE BALL AND WE PLAN TO WORK ON THIS,,,OR MAYBE THIS ONE….SPECIAL TEAMS ARE DEFFINTLY
    WEAK IN SOME AREAS AND WE KNOW WE NEED TO ADDRESS THIS ISSUE.
    AND MY FAVORITE….THE OFFENSE HAD SOME MISSED OPPORTUNITITES
    TODAY IN CRITICAL SITUATIONS AND PLANS ARE I N PLACE TO WORK
    ON THIS IN PRACTICE THIS WEEK,,,,,ANY OF THESE SOUND FAMILER TO
    ANYONE…THEY SHOULD,,, WE BEEN HEARING THINGS LIKE THIS FOR QUITE
    A FEW SEASONS NOW,,,,I WON’T CLAIM I KNOW WHAT WE SHOULD DO
    TO FIX THIS,,,BUT I KNOW THIS …DOING THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER
    AGAIN…AND GETTING THE SAME RESULTS,,HAS’NT WORKED YET…THERE
    IS NO EASY FIX,,,A COMMITTMENT NEEDS TO MADE AND COMMITTING TO
    THAT COMMITMENT WOULD BE A START….IN OTHER WORDS ..WORK
    WITH WHAT YOU HAVE,,GET THEM BETTER,,BUILD A TRUST BETWEEN
    PLAYERS ,,,AND THE REST WILL TAKE CARE OF ITSELF,,
    BECAUSE,,, FROM WHAT
    I SEE THERE ARE 11 PLAYERS ON OFFENSIVE,DEFENSE,SPECIAL TEAMS.
    THAT ARE’NT OPERATING AS A UNIT ,,,,CHANGING PLAYERS AND STAFF
    YEAR AFTER YEAR MAKE THIS HARDER TO DO,,,,,WHAT ELSE CAN I SAY
    BUT QUALITY PREPERATION EQUALLS QUALITY PERFORMANCE…OR WE
    WILL CONTINUE TO HEAR THE AFFORE MENTIONED REASONS….JUST GET TOUGH ….BE TOUGH,,PLAY TOUGHER…..

7. By mick on Oct 20, 2009 | Reply

Richard, I can appreciate your perspective on how the Lions should improve but I respectivly disagree with you. The top NFL teams have the top talent in key positions. As a matter of fact the top NFL teams have a backup that can fill the spot of their injured player in many positions on the field with additional top talent. Thats how far the lions are behind the eight ball. If they lose a player in a key position due to injury they don’t have the talent to cover their losses. You have an offensive guard Peterman playing DT against the Pack. The lions have many DT on their roster. Why don’t they play them? Because the Lions lack talent at DT. Why is Julian Peterson playing DE instead of linebacker? I think you get the picture. The Lions must have top talent in key positions to compete in the NFL. I do agree with you that you must coach the players up and the team must have a consistant plan for success like the Steelers. (Rod Marinelli could coach that team with success) BM that stands for before Millen the Lions had decent talent and decent results. I believe the Lions have the right head coach for once and give him time with more talent and watch the Lions roar. Unfortunately, the Lions have more growing pains and as a fan it’s getting old. The Lions talent pool isn’t bare, but if they are going to compete they must acquire and keep top talent in their den.

8. By mick on Oct 21, 2009 | Reply

Mr. Mayhew,

We need, as you well know, more draft picks. Now is the perfect time for the Drew Stanton dog and pony show. Pateller dislocation is a non surgical condition that requires rest and eventually theraband exercises after the inflamation dissipates. Even with a knee brace because of instabily issues there is a high degree of probability of re-injuring the knee without the proper period of rest. I don’t pretend to know the status of his condition. I have to believe he is not ready to play. Therefore, why not a small dose of Drew Stanton for a few weeks. He can beat St. Louis at home, and maybe we get lucky in Seattle. While in the meantime we rest Stafford for another few weeks and let him take over for the Minnesota game. If Stanton performs well you might get lucky and get a second for him before the next draft. You would also provide Stanton an opportunity to start for another team. There is no need to keep Drew Stanton next year when we have many positions to fill.

9. By RICHARD on Oct 21, 2009 | Reply

MICK YO

10. By RICHARD on Oct 21, 2009 | Reply

MICK YOU MAKE VERY VALID POINTS,,,AND I BELIEVE WE ARE TALKING
    ABOUT THE SAME THING…..MY WHOLE PLATFORM IS HOW LONG WILL
    WE HAVE TO WAIT FOR ALL THIS TO HAPPEN….EVERY SEASON SEEMS
    TO START WITH SUCH PROMISE,,,BUT SEEMS TO FALL APART SO FAST
    …AND I THINK THAT IS WHERE FUSTRATION SETS IN FOR FANS….WHO
    HAVE BEEN WAITING YEAR AFTER YEAR FOR THIS TEAM TO SOMEHOW
    GET SOLID IN THESE AS WELL AS OTHER POSITIONS….THE DOWN SIDE IS
    IF THE TREND OF THE PAST CONTINUES I’M AFRAID THAT COACH SCHWARTZ
    MAY NOT BE IN DETROIT LONG ENOUGH TO FINISH WHAT HE STARTED…
    I HOPE I AM SO WRONG, BUT ONLY TIME WILL TELL……

11. By mick on Oct 21, 2009 | Reply

Richard,

I’m no prognosticator but, I don’t believe you will see wholesale changes in the win column until about this time next season. Stafford needs to season and Williams, Brown, Delmas and Pettigrew need to get up to NFL speed. All five have made rookie mental errors, but overall are doing just fine. When they were clicking you saw glimpses of hope for the future. You can’t expect rookies to carry your team. Mayhew must speed up the transition of failure to success by working his mojo through the draft even if that means trading drafts in 2011 for extra drafts in 2010. Waiting for all this to happen is a difficult pill to swallow because of the Millen debacle. If the Lions brass do their job getting us extra picks in the 2010 draft, as well as picking up gems in free agency, the Lions should shake their losing ways in the very near future.

12. By RICHARD on Oct 23, 2009 | Reply

MICK

WE CAN ONLY HOPE THAT ALL THESE THINGS HAPPEN,,AND THAT THESE
    PLAYERS ARE STILL HERE WHEN IT DOES. THE LONG TIME FOLLOWERS OF
    THIS TEAM HAVE WAITED OH SO LONG…BUT DISAPPOINTMENT AFTER
    DISAPPOINTMENT ONLY LEAVES ONE SCEPTICAL…AS TO WHAT THE
    FUTURE IS FOR THE LIONS….IF WE COULD ONLY GET INSIDE AND FIND OUT
    WHAT THE REAL PLANS ARE…MAYBE IT COULD TAKE AWAY A LITTLE
    OF THE STING….

13. By BlackWolfStanding on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

With the coach having the team pointed in the right direct, an opening day upset is not out of the question.

The LIONS will be the underdogs in every game they play this year. It’s not to discourage the players, but should be a GOAL of every LION player (and fan) to make this team win.

Culpepper: “…and doing whatever it takes to win.”

14. By Detroit Lions #1 on May 3, 2012 | Reply