Pettigrew, Lions Get In Bye Week Practice

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on October 21, 2009 – 6:30 pm

“So far this year we’ve played really hard. Last game, though, I think we just had some breakdowns. There’s a lot of stuff we didn’t do right. I’m glad we’ve got this bye week to go back and look over everything and make a lot of improvements so we can definitely change things up next week. There’s a lot of stuff we can do in this bye week.

“In a game like that, it’s not really an ‘off day’ – all you can do is keep battling through. Sometimes it happens like that where everything’s just off and everybody’s off and you’ve just got to keep on keeping on. I don’t think we laid down – stuff just wasn’t going right.

“As far as how I’ve seen myself improve, I’ve seen flashes here and there. A lot of stuff we work on I have definitely seen improvement. We’ve reviewed all the film from all the games.

I’m going to keep doing that throughout the week. Definitely there’s a lot of stuff I need to work on. Nothing really just stands out as one particular strength – I’ve seen flashes and really need to work on all of them.

“There have just been a lot of mental errors and it’s keeping me from playing at the speed that you want to play. It’s just being indecisive. It will slow you down a lot on the field and you can’t do that here. I’ve heard as a rookie that it’s supposed to happen, but if you’re a player you’re not going to let it happen. But sometimes you think too hard about it so you’re not going to get it done.

“This week is really about just focusing on us and what we need to do and, I guess, just getting back to the basics. Last week we broke down. We just need to get back to the basics, focus on what we need to focus on and do what we do best.

“As far as this weekend, I’m not sure what I’m going to do yet. I don’t know if I’m going to be here – I may go home. I’ll relax – of course, but I don’t know if I’ll be here or in Texas.

“Once we get back it will be about trying to get some wins. Just go out and get everybody on the same page. That’s No. 1 – everybody on the same page and hopefully we’ll get it together and turn it around.”

Posted in Uncategorized | 14 Comments »

14 Responses to “Pettigrew, Lions Get In Bye Week Practice”

1. By carl sayre on Oct 21, 2009 | Reply

I question is to the coaches the first thing to build a team is the trenches. all I see is wide receivers or running backs you go get. But look back at all the other coaches that have coached the lions lousy lines. offence line needs help is there no big tackles who were all Americans out there. or big d-line who were all Americans you have to start with the lines then get the pieces you need basics.I had a good freid on the Lions for a few years a wideout and started. but I was rideing with him one day and he told me that alot of the time the ones with the big contracts play not always the best player. just tired of the same old sound,

2. By Papa Giorgio on Oct 21, 2009 | Reply

Keeping up with your blog, thanks for taking the time. I do not like sports much (my hobby is reading), but I am a native Detwoi’er and look forward to someone other than the Red Wings win big.

Hope you get yourself more focused: “The first and the best victory is to conquer self.” Plato

PapaG

3. By Sanders97 on Oct 22, 2009 | Reply

Work on catching. Jugs, jugs, jugs! Stand five yards away from Stafford and let him rilfe balls at you at full speed. Whatever. Just work on making those catches. The Lions and the fans are counting on you.

P.S.

That one catch against the Steelers was great. Hope it wasn’t as painful as it looked. Just don’t let that be your rookie year highlight.

4. By myron muhamma on Oct 22, 2009 | Reply

what is going on brandon i live in oklahoma but am from detroit i have watched u since u were a cowboy u are doing jus fine we are a little banged up rite now lets get healthy and finish strong this last 10 games of the season. I have really been impressed upset for the green bay game but i am praying for u guys and stay healthy GO LIONS

5. By Jason from Lansing on Oct 22, 2009 | Reply

Hope the bye week helps everyone heal up from the bumps and bruises. Looking forward to the week 7 game.

6. By Rodney Crowell on Oct 22, 2009 | Reply

I’m smacking my lips waiting to chew on all the media critics of our JUMBOTRON! Stafford, Delmas, Levy, Williams, Brown & the rest are doing their part and they think Pettigrew can’t? Come on! TE is one of the most demanding jobs in the NFL, from blocking LBs to finding the seams of zones. Keep working, BP–when you have your breakout game, Lions fans will be all over the idiot experts, and you’ll have the last laugh.

7. By Jimmie Brown on Oct 23, 2009 | Reply

I have a question about the offense. Why don’t the coaches work in more screen and draw plays, especially against really aggressive defenses like pittsburgh? Also I think they should work u in more while the offense is in the red zone.

8. By don on Oct 24, 2009 | Reply

Yes, This TEAM has been through a lot and has been disected and scutinized enough to make anyone that is human have to shake thier head and say WHAT?
    BUT, This week I am hoping that this TEAM and all of you Rookies and Vets can settle down a bit and just VEG.and take it all with a grain of salt!
    Go through your evaluations of yourselves and be HONEST with yourselves and regroup come together and WIN the rest of your games the rest of the year!
    It can be done.
    This TEAM has and still is going thru a lot of growing Pains but,the Important thing is for this TEAM to COME OR STAY together as a TEAM.
    EVERYONE OUT THERE IS PULLING YOU GUYS IN 50 DIFFERANT DIRECTIONS.
    And I know it doesn’t seem fair and I myself don’t think that it is ? HOWEVER IT IS THE WAY IT IS!
    I don’t know why BUT in this Town as much as everyone says they love this TEAM and I believe that we do it also seems that the people here just can’t get past that Losing attitude!
    THE MEN ON THIS TEAM are the only ones that can change that Negative attitude.
    And the only way that they can do that is to WIN!
    Nobody is going to care if you make a great play or have the fastest runner or the greatst reciever.
    ALL THAT IS GREAT!
    BUT, like the coach said without that “W” in the “WIN” column it doesn’t mean much to these FANS.
    AND I am one of them.
    WE WANT TO WIN! PERIOD! NOTHING ELSE WILL DO!
    However I believe that we have the Men here that we CAN WIN WITH!
    ALL of you have to stop 2nd guessing yourselves and go out and rock that other teams world.
    NONE OF THOSE TEAMS OR CITIES THINK THAT THE LIONS CAN DO IT!
    THATS EXACTLY WHY IT CAN BE DONE!
    STAY TOGETHER AND JUST GO OUT PUT IT ALL TOGETHER AND SLAM THEM!
    And I DO NOT MEAN go out there and just try to out muscle them. BUT,follow the plan and execute it!
    AGAIN THIS TEAM HAS TO BELIEVE THAT YOU ALLREADY HAVE THE GAME WON BEFORE YOU EVEN STEP ON THE FIELD!
    AND THAT TAKES BEING PREPARED ENOUGH THAT AT GAME TIME YOU BELIEVE THAT THERE ISN’T ANYONE OR ANYTHING THAT CAN STOP YOU! THAT EVERYTHING YOU DO IS GOING TO BE DONE RIGHT! AND THAT THIS TEAM IS A WELL OILED MACHINE THAT IS READY FOR WHATEVER COMES YOUR WAY!
    IF YOU DON’T FEEL THAT WAY, ALL OF YOU! THEN SOMEONE ISN’T DOING THIER PART.
    If everyone on this TEAM does thier part and knows all thier plays and puts all of themselves into every play then this TEAM Will WIN!
    THERE ARE REALLY NO EXCUSES!
    Everyone,all of you players are profeshionals NOW!
    AND NONE OF YOU GOT WHERE YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU COULDNT DO IT!
    Your ALL in the NFL because you are winners and good at what you do!
    SO,whats the problem?
    Never MIND I DON”T WANT TO HERE IT!
    GO OUT AND WIN THE REST OF THESE GAMES!
    LIONS!

9. By richard on Oct 24, 2009 | Reply

WELL I MUST SAY DON,,THAT IS QUITE A LITTLE PEP TALK,,,UNFORTUNATLY
    OUR BELIEF IN THE TEAM ISN’T GOING TO CHANGE THIER BELIEF IN THEMSELVES….THERE IS A LARGE GROUP OF US WHO’VE HAD THE BELIEF
    IN THE TEAM FOR A REALLY, REALLY,,REALLY LONG TIME ..AS FOR ME I
    WOULD BE HAPPY JUST TO SEE CONSISTANT EXECUTION….BUT TO WATCH
    WEEK AFTER WEEK SEASON AFTER SEASON,,,WELL IT BECOMES A BIT
    DISCONSERTING….TO SEE PLAYERS WHO DON’T SEEM TO KNOW WHAT
    THEY ARE SUPPOSE TO DO IN THIS PLAY OR THAT PLAY..IT’S IF THEY HAVE
    ETHIER LOST THE PLAYBOOK OR JUST DON’T KNOW IT WELL ENOUGH AND
    TO ME THAT IS THE INEXCUSABLE PART…..I MEAN EVEN THE BEST TEAMS
    CAN BE BEAT….AND I BELIEVE MOST IF NOT ALL OF US CAN HOLD OUR
    HEADS HIGH AND SAY AT LEAST THEY PUT UP A GOOD FIGHT….BUT TO WATCH THEM OUT THERE AT TIMES LOOKING MORE LIKE THE KEYSTONE COPS IS THE MOST FUSTRATING…FOOTBALL IS A VERY PHYSICALLY DEMANDING SPORT…MORE SO IS THE MENTAL PREPERATION TO DO BATTLE….FOOTBALL IS A GAME OF INCHES NOT CHUNKS….THEY GET 4 CHANCES TO MOVE 10 YARDS…THATS 2 1/2 YARDS PER PLAY…OR 90 INCHES…CONCENTATE ON DOMINATING 90 INCHES OF TURF AND YOU WILL BE AMMAZED AT THE RESULTS….SAD PART THERE ARE 11 MEN IN FRONT OF YOU THAT ALSO WANT TO CONTROL THAT SPACE AND MORE…BUT HEY I COULD GO ON AND ON….WHAT I BELIEVE DOES’NT COUNT…..WEATHER YOU THINK YOU
    CAN OR YOU CAN’T ETHIER WAY YOUR RIGHT…………………

10. By Dino (georgia) on Oct 25, 2009 | Reply

just do it..one game at a time.. it will happen… offensely the potential is endless… once we get our hands in t he 2010 draft ,, the lines will move up and secondary another step plus another year of Schwartz…. better and better

beat those Rams!!!!

11. By Dino (georgia) on Oct 25, 2009 | Reply

of course get healthy!!!!!

12. By Richard Lowman on Oct 26, 2009 | Reply

And you are good lions TE. You can do it. Trust me. =)

Richard

13. By Emmanuel on Oct 26, 2009 | Reply

What it really comes down to is desire. Do the players want to win badly enough to do the work that it takes to win. Of course, everybody “wants” to win, but not everybody wants to put in the work neccessary to win consistently. All players have to know the playbook front to back, not just some, but all players. If a player doesn’t want to learn the playbook, they shouldn’t be playing, period. If they don’t want to study film, they shouldn’t be playing. The difference between the Manning’s and the Brady’s in football and everyone else is work ethic. If you work hard to learn your playbook, and spend quality time in the film room, the physical play takes care of itself. Physical talent is what gets a player into the NFL. Mental toughness is what makes them winners.

14. By Detroit Lions #1 on May 3, 2012 | Reply