Lions Evaluate and Recharge During Bye Week

Posted by Tara Altman on October 22, 2009 – 6:53 pm

The primary focus for the Lions this week hasn’t been game planning for the opposition; instead, players and coaches are taking the time to evaluate themselves individually and as a team and are looking forward to a couple of days off to recharge both physically and mentally.

TE Casey FitzSimmons, who’s entering his seventh season in Detroit, feels that this year’s bye couldn’t have come at a better time.

FitzSimmons: “I think that this is the latest that I’ve ever had a bye since I’ve been here, but it’s probably one of the best positions for us to be in with Calvin (Johnson), Matthew (Stafford) and all those guys being banged up and injured.”

In years past the week of the bye has generally been a short practice week, wrapping up on Wednesday.

This year, the practice schedule was a little different as players had Tuesday off and a practice on both Thursday and Friday morning.

FitzSimmons: “If we’re not winning and not doing the things that we need to get done then obviously we’ve got to fix it. That’s what we get paid to do: practice and work. It’s our job, so for us to come out here during the bye week, I’m looking at it as a chance to get better and get this team on the right track and win some football games.”

For ninth-year veteran tackle Jeff Backus, the extra days of work this week have been beneficial, giving players an opportunity to reflect on the past six weeks.

Backus: “This is definitely a different approach than we’ve had the last few years and I think it will give us a chance to make some drastic improvements here in the second half of the season. There’s nothing wrong with putting in a little extra work and doing some self-evaluations and trying to get better.”

13 Responses to “Lions Evaluate and Recharge During Bye Week”

1. By Chase on Oct 23, 2009 | Reply

Couldnt agree more, having the bye this week. Calvin and Matt getting healty. Rams will know whats coming. But wont be able to stop it.

2. By detfan4lfe on Oct 23, 2009 | Reply

ok im sayin this every run for smith should b to the outside with a te block and give brown more playin time and and go deep more and trust delmas to make plays trust me thats my fav player i knw he wnt let big plays happen

3. By ROGER LEE on Oct 23, 2009 | Reply

POSITIVE ATTITUDE IS A MUST FOR WINNERS.
    CAPABILITIES IS A MUST FOR WINNERS.
    NO PENALTIES IS A MUST FOR WINNERS.
    NO NEGATIVITIES IS A MUST FOR WINNERS.
    NO FLAWS IS A MUST FOR WINNERS.
    NO ‘OH CHUCKS” IS A MUST FOR WINNERS.
    DOING MORE(110%) EVERY PLAY IS A MUST FOR WINNERS.

“I CAN” IS A MUST FOR WINNERS.
    “I WILL” IS A MUST FOR WINNERS.
    “I SHALL” IS A MUST FOR WINNERS.
    “I DID” IS A MUST FOR WINNERS.

4. By Steve Collins on Oct 24, 2009 | Reply

This week will give guys the opportunity to look each other in the eyes and say “Help me be better”

Irish Lions Fan
    Dublin

5. By Dave Moore on Oct 25, 2009 | Reply

I feel for the veteran players… I’m 43 & been a fan since I was 7, It’s been heartbreaking, to say the least. It seems we’ve always been lacking in some area. When we had talent, the coaching was terrible,when we had good coaching, the talent was terrible. Now, I think we’re almost there and I see a different attitude. Good luck guys… I’ll always love my Lions…Win or lose.

6. By Dan Smith on Oct 26, 2009 | Reply

I have been a Lions fan all my life (and I just turned 60). It has been very hard, but I am obviously die hard “Honalulu Blue & Silver”. I will never give up on you guys – NEVER!!! NOW – that said – I believe in Jim Schwartz and the entire coaching staff. I like their approach and I know that the guys that are in this locker room can win some games, AND IT STARTS with the ST. LOUIS RAMS on Sunday.

GO LIONS – you can do this!!! Get tough & BELIEVE!!!

7. By damon rembert on Oct 27, 2009 | Reply

I hope that the team is not going in the second half of the season like the first. their needs to be poise and sheer determination to play all 4 qts in each and very game.

8. By mike simpson on Oct 27, 2009 | Reply

dear lions been a die hard fan since 75 still dreaming of the day the lions get in the superbowl unfortuntly i live in ohio since92 havent been to lions game in forever i still watch or listen to them every week i cried know kidding when they beat the redskins to end the streak ive seen the lions through some good times but mostly the bad ones i hope and pray coach schwartz and his staff can finally turn things around with mr.ford and the gm and front office despite the 1-5 record i see progress but the bottom line is winning as we all know in the last 10 games i hope the lions can finsh at least 5-5 but most importantly expect to win each week not hope to its been a diffcult year with economy so i wont have money to go to a game this year ill keep watching and coaching from my home i do wish the players coaches owner mr. ford and the entire lion organazation a happy holiday season and safe healthy and winning rest of the season go lions sincerely mike simpson

9. By Del on Oct 29, 2009 | Reply

Alright fellas time to impress some people and make your FANaticS proud. I’ve been a LIONS fan since ’78 and I’ve died been born again and died again with this team. I don’t know how many times I’ve said “this is the year”. Well I wasnt foolish enough to say that this year because of the young talent, new staff, and most importantly the schedule we have this year. I thought if you had a bad season you got a softer schedule. Anyways the talent is there the coaching is there. Let’s see if the HEART is there. We dont win if you dont play with HEART. This is a very winnable game. Go out there and kick The Rams butt. Let this be the beginning of a win streak. I dont care if it is a 2 or 3 or 4 game streak. Its time to get this thing turned around. I know that you can do it and I’m ready to see it and finally be able to do some s— talkin of my own. Go LIONS!!!

10. By RICHARD on Nov 3, 2009 | Reply

“P E R I O D” DROPPED PASSES MISSED BLOCKS BLOWN ASSIGNMENTS
    IS WHAT HAPPENS TO TEAMS WHO ARE NOT PREPARED…..AND NOW I ASK
    YOU STEP OUT OF THE BOX FOR A MOMENT AND REALLY LOOK AT THIS
    TEAM….OR SHOULD I SAY THIS GROUP OF MEN (CAUSE A TEAM WORKS
    AS A UNIT) AND I DON’T SEE IT…..’CAUSE OUR RECORD WOULD LOOK MUCH
    BETTER IF THEY DID…AND IF THIS SORT OF PLAYING CONTINUES THEN THE
    BEST THEY WILL DO THIS SEASON IS 1-15……

11. By don on Nov 12, 2009 | Reply

I ahvent read what you guys have wrote yet nor did I read the article that has been written.
    However I have a question to ask the coaches or the GM?
    Why would we not play Jason David when this guy has clearly been a producer at the CB position?
    Is he hurt or damaged goods or what?
    From his stat sheet he looks as if he is exactly what we need at the CB position. BUT, we have let him go without seeing or hearing anything about the player?
    And also If NOrthcutt is still being benched which I really do not know if he is or not at this time.
    anyways if Northcutt is no longer playing at the slot position then why did we let John Standeford go?
    True that Standeford isn’t the flashiest WR out there however he usually seems to come down with the ball in most cases.And isn’t that another thing we need is men that land with the ball in thier hands!

12. By jerry oberfoell on Oct 26, 2010 | Reply

I been alions fan for 66yrs,I put up with alot of hassle in them yrs,I hope before I die I can give some hassle back,I pay extra just to watch them play every week here in Iowa.I believe they are on the right track,lets bring that roar back BIG TIME GO LIONS

13. By Detroit Lions #1 on May 3, 2012 | Reply