Stafford Nominated for Two Weekly Awards

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on November 24, 2009 – 3:24 pm

Rookie quarterback Matthew Stafford has been nominated for two weekly awards: 2009 Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Week and FedEx Air NFL Player of the Week. Stafford was also nominated for 2009 Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Week for his Week 3 performance against Washington.

Fans can vote for both awards on NFL.com. Voting for both awards ends Friday, November 27 at 12 p.m. ET.

Vote Stafford for FedEx Air NFL Player of the Week: http://www.nfl.com/partner?partnerType=players-air-and-ground

Vote Stafford for 2009 Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Week: http://www.nfl.com/partner?partnerType=rookies

Stafford’s nominations come after a gutsy performance in Detroit’s win over the Cleveland Browns on Sunday.

After the team fell behind 24-3 in the first quarter, Stafford helped rally the Lions’ offense to five touchdowns including what would prove to be the game-winner with no time remaining on the clock.

He finished the game 26-of-43 for 422 yards, five touchdowns and two interceptions for a QB rating of 112.7. His 422 yards were the third-most in team history and the most by a Lions’ rookie in franchise history. His five touchdown passes were also the most by a rookie league-wide since Ray Buivid of the Chicago Bears on December 5, 1937.

10 Responses to “Stafford Nominated for Two Weekly Awards”

1. By elgin on Nov 24, 2009 | Reply

great game

2. By Shane Lemcool on Nov 24, 2009 | Reply

Hey B you are a very bright spot in the lions offense you have brought a serious scoring threat to a once depleated offensive system We all see how hard you guys work on the field now. And we l;ove your dedication andwilligness to win we all know better days are comming or all of you you have given Lions fans something to be hopeful for once again forgqat hopeful something to roar about we know you all are and comming superbowl champions and maybe not so far in the distant future keep up the great job were are proud and love you….. be well we need you brotha man

3. By wendymaddy on Nov 24, 2009 | Reply

Go Matt Stafford, and all your worthy teammates!

4. By Dawn McGeorge on Nov 24, 2009 | Reply

I am a die hard Ravens fan even though I have lived in Michigan for a long time but Matty Statty (aka Mathew Stafford) may convert me to a Lions fan. I believe he is just what the Lions need and he has my vote for Rookie of the Week and Player of the Week!! Take care of yourself Matty Statty – you’re giving me a reason to watch Lions football again!!

5. By Robert Reyes on Nov 25, 2009 | Reply

Matthew Stafford I have been a detroit fan since I was little. I don’t know if you’ll read this but way to pull through at the end on Cleveland. My birthday was on Nov 19 and I turned 20. I just wanted to say thanks for winning that game it made my week. Thanks for the birthday win!

Sincerely,

Robert Reyes

6. By Jim Wittersheim on Nov 25, 2009 | Reply

I have been (and remain) a lifelong fan of the Lions. I was born and raised in Detroit and began following the Lions when Milt Plum was throwing the ball to Gail Cogdill (that tells you how old I am)!

What I saw against the Browns last Sunday was phenomenal and I would have been moved by it regardless of the team that did it – the fact it was the Lions fills me with hope that I will see a championship in Detroit yet.

I am very interested to see if the Cleveland game is just a blip on the radar or if it will be viewed in hindsight as a pivotal point in the turnaround of this franchise. Football is a funny game and winning and losing starts between the ears. The Lions have been mired in a losing attitude for so many years for a variety of reasons from the top on down. We finally seem to have gotten a coach with a good plan AND the will to carry it out, a front office run by true “football people” (instead of TV personalities) and ownership willing to write the checks necessary to get the talent on the field.

But 0-16 is a helluva legacy to live down. Schwartz came in and cleaned house and changed the perception of the players – but he cannot play the game. He has them playing hard for 4 quarters and tolerates NO ONE taking even a single play off even though they are overmatched from a talent perspective. Yet he does not allow for the missing talent to be used as an excuse for losing and has that team rightly believing it can win every week if they will simply execute their assignments.

The statement that Stafford made last week (ala Kirk Gibson) by going on that field and making the play that wins it could be a thing of legend – time will tell. But he won the hearts of his teammates and the fans with it in that one moment. That kind of heroics is contagious and elevates the play of those around them. This week’s game will reveal the character of that team and I would not be surprised when they go out and give GB all they can handle and win the game on sheer guts and effort – the will to win!

Teams that win consistently in any sport absolutely believe they will win every contest they engage in – winning is an attitude, it is a decision of the will. In fantasy football we focus on a handful of the “stars” and pour through stats and box scores – but the reality is that winning in the NFL requires all 53 men in uniform (most of whom never make it to the stat sheet), all the coaches + the 8 on the practice squad. I got a “kick” out of the fact that “Mr. Irrelevant” made the game winning field goal that beat the Steelers this week – it requires every man on the squad to be ready when called upon. This will be Daunte’s challenge this week.

The Lions have the opportunity to build upon what transpired last week and even though Stafford was the poster boy of that victory, Pettigrew still had to make the catch, the O-line still had to block, Kevin Smith still had to jump into the line after the play fake to hold the LB’s and create the space for Matt to throw that ball – it is a team game. Inferior talent CAN be overcome by a superior attitude – all these guys are pro’s and all of them can make plays. Last week’s game was sure fun to watch but it was one game, one play – where they take it from there is between their ears and in their hearts and I will be interested to see if anything rubbed off from last week.

7. By Drew on Nov 25, 2009 | Reply

Great Job Lions Finally good to see my team shine again! Havent heard the Lions roar since 2007 and before that it was the 1990′s! I know we will get .500 or more soon keep up the good work! 200% improvement since 2008 at 2 -14 in 2009 at worst

8. By Mike on Dec 6, 2009 | Reply

After the age of 10, you really aren’t supposed to cry in football. However, after watching Stafford’s determination through the agony of a shoulder-crushing near-sack, I had to fight off that welling up feeling. His display of “want-to” resulted in the first football game I ever watched and felt I may have learned a lesson that I could apply to my own life.

9. By Ryan on Apr 29, 2010 | Reply

Holes are being filled and im pumped the lions are looking talented. Great job with the draft, and in my opinion get PAC MAN JONES!!! Him, Delmas , Houston and Spievey will be a physical bunch. However, its great Jim has had experience with Pac Man, i’d trust his judgment.

10. By Detroit Lions #1 on May 3, 2012 | Reply