Delmas: ‘Coach Schwartz does a great job of holding us accountable’

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on December 17, 2009 – 10:01 pm

“There’s really no excuse for (last game’s performance). They came out, they dominated on their own turf and they knew exactly what they wanted to do, which was run the ball. We knew exactly what they wanted to do also.

“We knew they were going to come out there and try to run the ball and start the running game to get the counter game going, but we couldn’t stop it. I’m not going to use the weather as an excuse or miscommunication as an excuse because that wasn’t the case. We still went out there and played, we just didn’t perform like we should have.

“Coach Schwartz has been doing a good job of hiding how upset he gets from the media and only getting on us in the locker room, but there comes a point in time where you just can’t take it anymore. You’re tired of pulling your own hair; you feel like you’re by yourself and you just want to relieve stress by giving it to everybody else.

“I think he did the right thing. He let everybody see that he’s still a great coach and he’s trying his best to get us going. If that results in having us on the field screaming at us – any great coach will do that.

“Coach Schwartz does a great job of holding us accountable. He preaches every day that we’re not little kids, such as myself. I’m a rookie, but I’m not a little kid, I’m a grown man. This is a job. And in order for us to keep our job, we’ve got to do what we’ve got to do on the field to maintain that in order to keep that job.

“I think he does a great job holding the players accountable and also the coaches accountable. Everybody’s on the same page. Now we’ve just got to go out on the field and get it done.

“I think us struggling falls back into us not knowing who we are yet because there’s no way a great Super Bowl team will play good one week and play bad one week. That’s not going to happen. We’ve played good and we’ve played bad multiple weeks and that just comes with us getting comfortable with each other – finding ourselves.

“We know we can do it, but we don’t do it and that comes with preparation and getting close to everybody. We need to unite and just try to bond with each other more when we’re out on the field.”

7 Responses to “Delmas: ‘Coach Schwartz does a great job of holding us accountable’”

1. By don on Dec 18, 2009 | Reply

I believe that Coach Schwartz did the right thing also.
    I also do not think that it was his entention to to try to embarass anyone either. He was upset I believe because he has along with Martin Mayhew gone all out in finding men. Men that they believed still had it in them to be great players and when you see men not taking the full advantage of that opertunity it is trully upsetting.
    And It may not be that the men werent taking the opertunity but that things just werent going right at that time in the coarse of life.
    But, it still doesn’t mean that he doesn’t want it to.
    If you get the chance, Players Listen to the Kurt Warner enterview and see how the one reporter is talking about our secondary.
    And then listen to the enterview with Whisenhunt the cardinals coach.
    Oh and there hasn’t been any fans to my knoledge that has been asking for Calvin Johnson to retire.
    Listen to the Point after on M-live.com and you will hear where that topic came up.
    the Fans in this city love Calvin Johnson and most of us would love to see you spend your entire career here and that at the end of your career that you have a few superBowls and pro bowls under your belt. And you have a line to the Hall of fame by that time too!
    Whatever you do Calvin DO NOT listen to garbage like that!
    This TEAM will OVERCOME THE PAST!
    DO NOT GIVE UP EVER!
    LIONS!

2. By KDem on Dec 21, 2009 | Reply

After the Arizona game, I firmly believe Delmas is the DROY. Period. This guy plays like a man possessed and makes the team better. He was the diamond of the draft last year and Lions fans need to be very thankful he plays for us.
    The losing is old, but not permanant. Play the last 2 games with pride and do your best to win one or both of them.
    The way you guys have tried despite the injuries is just awesome to us real fans.
    Happy Holidays

3. By rob on Dec 22, 2009 | Reply

I have been a Lions fan for over 50 years, born and raised in Eagle country. I believe we have the right coach’s in place. The just need time to build their team. I know it is hard being a lions fan watching them lose week after week. But I have watched the eagles and Dallas go down this same path, before the good times of getting to the play offs. The Eagles have a winning record every year and make it to the play offs but have no ring to show for it. Dallas has a winning record also and nothing to show for it at the end of the season, let’s give coach Schwartz before we send him packing.

4. By don on Dec 23, 2009 | Reply

This TEAM played a better game against the Cardinals And I was impressed with the D-Fence!
    A lot of the fans say that they want this TEAM to lose the last Two games of the year so that we get a good Draft position.
    NOT ME! I want to know what we trully have here and who really wANts to stay here. And who really wants to win!
    If you want to stay here in this city and play for our TEAM then I a Fan would ask you to play the Best that you can.
    However, I would like next year that whoever stays here does not stay here and then let ANY LITTLE issues get in the way of PLAYING FOOTBALL!
    I don’t know what issues where here or what they are about? And frankly I don’t give a darn!
    If your going to be on this TEAM then there can only be one issue And that issue is winning NO Matter what!
    And in that case you will make a promise to yourself,the TEAM and the FANS that you will play your VERY BEST NO MATTER WHAT! AT AND IN EVERY GAME!
    And that NO matter how you feel about any certain subject that you will put it on the back Burner until the season is over and THEN you will DEAL with it.
    BUT, during the season it is one thing and one thing only and that is winning and backing up your TEAMMATES NO MATTER WHO THEY ARE OR WHAT EVER ELSE!
    This city has gone thru to many years with this TEAM and the issues that it has had.
    The PEOPLE IN this city NEED ONE thing from this TEAM and ONE THING ONLY! AND THAT IS TO WIN!
    OH, we wnat to know you and care about you and for you to care about us also BUT after that:WINNING!
    IT MAY SOUND COLD,BUT, ALL WE WNAT IS FOR THIS TEAM TO WIN!
    WE WANT YOU TO WIN AGAINST EVERY FOE THAT YOU FACE ON THE GRIDIRON!
    THE THING THAT TROUBLES ME THE MOST THIS YEAR AS A FAN IS THAT I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT THIS TEAM IS REALLY WHERE IT IS AT AT THIS TIME.
    I KNOW THAT ALL YOU PLAYERS COULD HAVE WON AT THE VERY LEAST ABOUT 6 TO 8 MORE GAMES THIS YEAR WITH THE TALENT THAT WE HAVE ON THIS TEAM.
    AND I KNOW THAT YOU ALL WENT THROUGH A ROUGH YEAR WITH THE WAY THAT THE MEDIA IS AND ALL THAT.(WHICH IN THE FUTURE YOU GUYS NEED TO TURN THE MEDIA OFF AND DO NOT LISTEN TO THE BOZO MEDIA IN THIS TOWN!) LETS FACE IT MOST OF THE GUYS WRITTING THESE STORIES NEVER EVEN EVER WORE A JOCK STRAP.MAYBE SOME BUT OF THEM THAT DID NONE OF THEM WENT AS FAR AS MOST OF YOU.
    WELL I HAVE TO GET GOING FOR NOW.
    I KNOW THIS TEAM IS BETTER THAN IT PUT OUT THIS YEAR AND FOR THAT IT ANGERS ME SOMEWHAT.
    HOWEVER THINGS HAPPEN AND ALL,but SOONER OR LATER YOU NEED TO PUT SOME THINGS AWAY AND JUST DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO THATS RIGHT THERE IN FRONT OF YOU.
    AND FOR fOOTBALL PLAYERS THAT MEANS PLAYING TO WIN AND PUTTING PETTY LITTLE DIFFERANCES DOWN.
    So If you really want to play and win for this team then give us what you got and stick yourself with us!
    If YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE Here and do not care if we win or not then please by all means move on.
    Don’t waste our time or the TEAMS TIME!
    If you want to be a trouble maker and take up issues that do not have anything to do with winning for this TEAM then please take your issues up with another TEAM Because all this TEAM and FANS And City wants is to win.
    There are issues in life and they all should be delt with at the right time and the right context.
    That time is not on the Football field. All bringing up issues on the gridiron does is cause one team or the other to lose.
    And this TEAM and city has lost Enough! I hope that you wnat to come back and play for the LIONS and I hope that your reason is to WIN for us,YOURSELVES AND your coach’s and your Families@
    GOD BLESS YOU ALL!
    AND MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILIES.
    LIONS!

5. By dennis lumpkin (LUMP) on Dec 24, 2009 | Reply

You doing a hell of a job! Keep it up , i’m in Columbia South Carolina and
    I love the way you stay aggressive!!! I play semi-pro football here and I
    in tend on getting your head coach my film in the off season. I too am a
    big hitter. I have tackled guys from 220 – 285 one on one they always
    lose. I’m only 5’5 (170) , but the last 6 yrs I have raised my play in a 3-4
    or a 4-3 defense. I have the video to prove it. My thing is “don’t talk about
    it , be about it!!!! Do what you do. LUMP

6. By Drew on Dec 27, 2009 | Reply

well they changed the drafting policy starting in the 2010 season, so why the heck do ppl want to see our team lose, thats stupid! Im hoping we can get atleast another W this year! we need all the W”s we can get bc of the lousy 2008 record! Im thankful for the 2009 team, and coach for being a great improvement, and atleast we got 2 wins this year! 2 – 14 at worst is better then 0 -16, I believe we been sabotaged in 2008 by Rod Marnelli and the rest of who was behind them losing

7. By Detroit Lions #1 on May 3, 2012 | Reply

Jim Schwartz is already my favorite Lions coach!