Stafford’s Surgery a Success

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on December 30, 2009 – 3:46 am

The Detroit Lions confirmed that rookie quarterback Matthew Stafford had minor knee surgery Tuesday and that it was a success.

Stafford’s surgery was performed by Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, Alabama.

Head Coach Jim Schwartz announced last week that Stafford would be placed on Injured/Reserve after it was ruled that he wouldn’t be ready to play in time for the team’s season finale against Chicago.

The surgery was perfomed to clean up his right knee to which he suffered an injury Week 4 at Chicago.

31 Responses to “Stafford’s Surgery a Success”

1. By Lance Manly on Dec 30, 2009 | Reply

Get Well Soon Matt!

Thanks for a great season, setting an Lion’s Rookie record for Touchdowns and for entering the NFL Hall Of Fame for the Best Lion’s comeback since 1957 while setting FOUR NFL records along the way.

Lance

P.S. Drew Brees became the SECOND player to throw a touchdown to FIVE different recievers… you were Number One.

Also, Brett Farve has still yet to win one game (43 chances) where he was behind by 17 or more points… you already did that!

2. By houston on Dec 30, 2009 | Reply

Will Stafford play?

3. By tim on Dec 30, 2009 | Reply

have a good off season good luck

4. By Bill on Dec 30, 2009 | Reply

Get well soon, team isn’t the same without you. I look forward to seeing what you can do continuing on next few years :)

5. By Lauren on Dec 30, 2009 | Reply

Stafford is my hero! Get well soon, but take it easy. I really hope next year he can bounce back.

All the boys played GREAT this year. Feels good to win a few. Next season is gonna be the one! I’ll bee cheering them on from Hollywood, CA!

=D
    LOVE MY LIONS!!!

6. By Aaron on Dec 30, 2009 | Reply

Thanks for the great memories already….I know you will be great. Get well and rehab, Ill see you next year.

Aaron in CA

P.S. Missed you in SF

7. By Duane Freese on Dec 30, 2009 | Reply

Thanks for some memorable moments and get well soon — and then, to create even more of them, you, CJ, BJ, DW, WH, DN, AB, MM, JF get together (with BP, CF and KS invited to lift their spirits during their rehabs) and make sure you’re all on the same page next year. Take your linemen out to dinner to the best place you can find.
    If you take care of your friends, your friends will take care of you.

8. By John Heintz on Dec 30, 2009 | Reply

Get well soon Matt!

We are gonna need you healthy for next year so we can take the NFC by storm. Can’t wait to see you play next year, I have a feeling it’s going to be a great one!

Sincerely,
    John J Heintz

P.S. GO LIONS!!!!!

9. By lump on Dec 31, 2009 | Reply

I will pray for you mat and I hope everything goes well. I live columbia sc, and
    I am from Detroit. I get beat up a lot for talking about you guys , but I think you are the missing piece the city has been looking for. I knew that when you said “I want to play for the Lions!!!”. That statment showed courage and dedicaction. I will look forward to buying my first lions jersery (I am 39 years old , long time I know) for me and
    my seven year old son , he said daddy I like that QB ; can I get his jersery??? I smiled and said “you know it!!!!!!! I”m getting it two. This wasn’t the cleveland game , it was the washington game… See you next year Mat……

10. By John Heston on Dec 31, 2009 | Reply

Thanks Matt for your grit and guts that put us back on the radar of the NFL I pray you will have a speedy recovery and do us well and better next year. Im 13 and you are right now my fav Detroit Lion right now. See Mr. Stafford and God Bless!

11. By Jeremiah Hines on Dec 31, 2009 | Reply

I second Lance! Great season Matt we are all behind you! I think we learned alot this season and can sense the excitement for the 2010 Season. We all knew this was going to be another rough year but that is all in the past…Restore the Roar Matt! The D will erupt when the Lions win and you will be LEGENDARY! Get well soon…

12. By mohamed turfe on Dec 31, 2009 | Reply

thank to matt i love you man. your a great qb and hopfully next year you will set veteran reords… and the clevland game was awsomeeeee

13. By mohamed turfe on Dec 31, 2009 | Reply

and lance i like ur comments

14. By wendymaddy on Dec 31, 2009 | Reply

Looking forward to final game; they may be tired out from their Monday win and be easy prey for the Lions. On the other hand, even if they do put up a fight, the Lions can devour them!

15. By Jim on Dec 31, 2009 | Reply

Matthew,

I’m glad to hear that your surgery went well. I’m looking forward to your return and a good/great season next year. Best of luck.

Jim

16. By maggie on Jan 1, 2010 | Reply

Get well soon!
    I have been a huge fan of you since you
    were a bulldogs.
    You are so excited to watch and I LOVE
    your play.

I wish you best.

Looking forward to watching you next year.

Maggie

17. By Double-D on Jan 1, 2010 | Reply

Grit and Guts wins games, I can’t wait to see what 2010 will bring! Rest easy Matt and we will see you guys in the fall. Take the Bears out!!!

Happy New Year

18. By kris-kenai alaska on Jan 2, 2010 | Reply

im glad 2 hear that his surgery went well i was born in detroit moved around alot as my father was in the military 4 more then 22 years and have followed the progress of the detroit lions my entire life i believe stafford is the future of the lions and i hope and pray 4 his full recovery and remember stafford just had a better rookie season then peyton manning did!!!!!!!…….late

19. By Edgar on Jan 3, 2010 | Reply

Hey Matt! Hope ya heal up good! I see badass potiental in you man and I like your style.. Lets make it a great 2010 season my friend! I’m looking forward to seeing more long bombs to CJ and KS!! Take care man!

Your loyal and proud Detriot Lions Fan…

P.S. I think your waaaay better then Joey whats his face lol..

20. By Michael on Jan 3, 2010 | Reply

Don’t let these people scare you with 0-16 and Bobby Layne crap!! It’s YOUR team, has been since the day you arrived. Just listen to your teachers and play your game and make everybody say Drew….. who? see you this year!!

21. By angie on Jan 3, 2010 | Reply

matt im so glad your surgery went well & you’re on the mend rest along with the rehab so your body will be strong im a true loyal lions fan & take a lot of garbage becuz of it but i dont care i proudly wear my lions shirt & talk proudly about my, our, team thank you for wanting to come to detroit to make our team the best it can be im so glad you are here ! i dont like the season ending but look forward to the next & all that the lions will be & acomplish
    with you as our quaterback ! you are outstanding !!! wicked, radical !!!
    you are in my prayers hope you liked the cookies & cake —–
    blessings & peace angie ;}

22. By Jay Rock Richards on Jan 3, 2010 | Reply

Hey Matt:
    I’m also a transplanted Detroiter. Longview TX is home now and has been for 19 years, but I haven’t lost faith in my Lions. Like many,I have taken a beating, but I will never give on you guys. Not to put any presssure on you but i di believe that you are the guy to put the Lions back to prominence.
    You along With Calvin Johnson, a few others, abd a great draft, the Lions will be back. We’re all counting on you.

Good Luck, Matthew.

23. By Mike on Jan 3, 2010 | Reply

Matthew,

I’m glad yours surgery went well, and I wish you well for years to come. You will need lots of luck unless the the Lions brain trust gets their heads out of there butts. The Lions last desent OFFENSIVE LINE was back in the 90′s when they had a guy by the name Eric Andolsek, god rest his soul. The lions are facing yet another good draft pick (second overall), I pray they do something with it, to go along with you Matthew.

Mike

24. By Mark on Jan 4, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for giviing it your all this season its players like you this team needs to finally turn things around. I gave up my season tickets after 20 years when my 14 year old son refused to go with me to the games. But after I talked him in to watching you play he has become a big fan and he is begging me to get tickets again next year. Hope you are 100% soon and good luck on finally bringing what the loyal fans of this city deserve.

25. By Jeremy Ballreich on Jan 4, 2010 | Reply

I am so glad to hear everything went well, and here’s to a speedy recovery. Get well soon. Can’t wait until next season.

26. By MICHAEL YOUNKER on Jan 6, 2010 | Reply

Matt you played well hopefully the line will hold up next year, if that happens i see us movin up the NFC NORTH, if we can get u and Brandon, Kevin helthy add another piece for Calvin i see playoffs. The deffense is headed that way with Delmas,Foot,LeVe and hopefully Suh or Barry watch out NFL. But thanks for your effort and heart cause you are the FUTURE. Im from Sacramento and all my life i have gotten crap for bein A DIE HARD LIONS FAN and im only 25 but no more crap cause thats run is bout to end thanks to u. GOD BLESS GET HEALTY

27. By Amy on Jan 8, 2010 | Reply

GET WELL SOON!!! EVEN THOUGH THIS SEASON WAS NOT IDEAL… I KNOW GREAT THINGS ARE IN STORE FOR YOU HERE IN DETROIT!!! CAN’T WAIT TO SEE YOU HEALTHY AND BACK ON THE FIELD FOR 2010!! GO LIONS!!!!

-AMY

28. By Jordan on Jan 17, 2010 | Reply

matt work hard and get back to 100% and don’t forget about the pump fake! i will be looking forward to the season next year!

29. By Raul Valenzuela on Jan 18, 2010 | Reply

I’m really looking forward to your season! I think you’re definitely the franchise QB. The guts you showed in the Cleveland game are PRICELESS!! Congrats from Mexico. I guess you are the true heir of Bobby Lane.

30. By Santos and Cam on Jul 20, 2010 | Reply

Me and my eight year old son are true Lions fans. I know that you will do well this year. We Love our Lions very much. Give it your best, and may God bless you all.

31. By Detroit Lions #1 on May 3, 2012 | Reply

I’m so glad were past all of that! Now Matt’s just slinging it!