Schwartz, Staff Make Last Preparations for Senior Bowl

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on January 22, 2010 – 4:32 pm

Head Coach Jim Schwartz and his staff are in Allen Park putting the finishing touches on their preparation for the upcoming week’s Senior Bowl.

Schwartz and his staff will head the North Team, featuring local players like QB Dan LeFevour (Central Michigan), RB Joique Bell (Wayne State) and DE Brandon Graham (Michigan).

Schwartz: “You know a little bit about the players before you go down there, but I don’t want to get too much into evaluations. We’ll have the scouts give us a thumbnail on each guy but if we have a really good scouting grade on a guy and we don’t have as much feel for him, that’ll taint or prejudice our evaluation. Same thing if we have a low grade on a guy and then we really like him. You tend to hedge bets. I’d rather go with a clean slate.”

Because of the rules surrounding the game (e.g. teams can only rush six players on a punt; defenses can only play Cover-1 or Cover-3; offenses can’t shift), there really isn’t much of a game plan.

“It’s more just letting the players play,” said Schwartz.

NFL coaches around the League attend the Senior Bowl, so evaluating the way players practice or compete in the game isn’t foreign territory to Schwartz or his staff.

But actually coaching them during those practices has its advantages.

Schwartz: “Watching practice habits and watching the way a player moves through practice and being that close to him when he does it are all important. It’s all part of the same picture, but it’s a different part of the picture.”

The primary benefit the Lions’ staff will have, however, will be getting to know the players themselves. The staff will spend a full week with all of the players in attendance, sharing meeting and meal space and – in regards to the North team – practices.

All of those factors will add an element to evaluation debates leading up to the draft.

Schwartz: “You’re having breakfast with them. You’re riding the bus over to practice with them. It’s not just 15 minutes. At the combine you get 15 minutes to interview. When you bring guys here before the draft for physicals, you’re spending eight hours with them, nine hours with them. We’re with them for a week, so by the time the week’s over, we know them pretty well.”

19 Responses to “Schwartz, Staff Make Last Preparations for Senior Bowl”

1. By ron jewell on Jan 22, 2010 | Reply

Finally lions fans have a coach to root for someone that is capable of turning the lions franchise around.I am 57 years old I have watched coaches come and go finally ford got something right even if it was by mistake it had to have been by mistake because he has nothing right since he purchased the team in the sixties.

2. By Jimmie Knight on Jan 23, 2010 | Reply

I like Kevin Smith, but Joique Bell should be our next starting RB,the kid is from my hometown and he has always been a star. Just because he went to a small school does not mean he can’t be a big time player so I encourage the Lions scouting staff and for all the Lions coaches to take a serious look at the kid.

3. By sharrone harrison on Jan 23, 2010 | Reply

What and who are going to draft in the 1st round,(ala)lbacker (Mcclain)or dt(neb)

4. By Don on Jan 23, 2010 | Reply

I hope this Organization Learns a lot down there about the best players that may become available To this TEAM.
    And I think that the Danny Crossman pick for the Special TEAMS coach was a Very Very good choice.
    Thank You for going out and getting a very Good addition for this TEAM.
    It’s exciting to get new additions to this TEAM That have the credintials To help this TEAM over come.
    I also hope that This staff has some fun coaching down there in this Senior Bowl.
    I wish I could go !
    anyways have a great time and find us some more great players.

5. By Jordan on Jan 23, 2010 | Reply

If he’s still available at the number 2 pick, I think me and a bunch of fans would love to see Suh in blue.

6. By R. Ramirez on Jan 23, 2010 | Reply

Love the way Schwartz is handling things despite a rough year. he seems to have an eye for talent. hopefully they’ll see someone they see fit for the Lions when coaching the Senior Bowl. I really like this coach and feel he is the future of Detroit! On the other hand, i feel great opposite about Scott Linehan the Offensive Coordinator! I think we need to change him up for a new one. its been long enough with no true results!

7. By R.Ramirez on Jan 24, 2010 | Reply

man coach schwartz thank you for being there for us and taking on such a responsibility. i thank you from the bottom of my heart and paray the lions win 20 games next year! Vamonos!

8. By Don on Jan 24, 2010 | Reply

I know that we need a DE and I believe that this TEAM will get a GOOD de in the Draft this year.
    I personally am not sold on Suu Because I am afraid(yes fear) that he may have trouble at the next level with durability. He has had Knee problems allready.
    As far as McCoy from Okla. I like him a lot better allthough I do not know his Medical History.
    However Both of these DT SEEM to be Small to me?
    I will leave that up to Mayhew and Schwartz.
    HOWEVER,

9. By Don on Jan 24, 2010 | Reply

Sorry I was not finished when I did something wrong.
    NOW, For the reason That I started writing.
    I have Looked at the RB Joique Bell and I am Very Impressed With his STATS!
    I know that he is From a small School,and SO is Sammy Lee Hill and he is still Impressing me today.And I believe that he is going to turn out to be a Very Very good Tackle.
    Anyways, Joique Bell Not only had GREAT Numbers,BUT went far and above the Norm Even for a small school.
    I wish that there Might be a way to See him against some bigger Schools.
    OH,YEA! THE SENIOR BOWL! (: LOL
    If this Guy can give a REALLY good show at the Senior Bowl then I would really have to give him some consideration.REAL Consideration!
    And being that he is a Fellow at least Metro Detroiter That Gives me another good feal for the guy.
    What I am wondering however With the Ability that he has WHY he wasn’t picked up by another School (college)?
    Anyway, he seems to be a work horse and a FAST one.
    I am also wondering about our DE Jared Defries?
    How is it going with him and will he be back?
    Because even though a lot of the people don’t see Jared as a Good DE. I see him as an animal when it comes to his play! I love that dude at the DE position.
    And I would like to know how Many Pics this TEAM Has and where they are?
    And 2nd pic in the first rd. is all I know about?
    I can’t do any figuiring with that?
    And even though you may or may not care about who I might pic or think that we should pic?
    I still like to see.
    Last year I could NOT believe How close I was to the Picks that were made.
    AT least the first couple.
    I trully wanted Mathew Stafford, Brandon Pettigrew,and Louis Delmas.
    I really could not believe it when you picked Brandon Pettigrew. I went through the roof with Happiness.
    He will turn out to be a weapon that not everyone thinks about as a weapon.
    Sometimes I wish we would tone it down about our weapons and not talk about them so much.
    Kinda move the thoughts about our weapons in a differant direction so as to not have others thinking about them ALL the time.
    However, in this city it is hard not to have to talk about what is good about our TEAM.
    GO LIONS!

10. By jason on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

i think they need a good o-line guy to protect stafford, but also need a better running back to open the pass.

11. By Anthony on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

1st round – Ndamukong Suh
    2nd round – Carlos Dunlap DE Flor or Trent Williams OT OKL
    Simple you will never be good if you are not good in the trenches that makes your secondary better!!!!
    Jeff Backus is too old to be blocking for Stafford this is a young mans game come on Lions…Hire me !!!!!

12. By Rom on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

If you guys can’t get Suh or if McCoy doesn’t impress, trade for 2 first round picks and then build defense. We did offense last year, so it’s time for some 1st round defenders (unless there’s a really good offensive lineman on the board). Good luck with this senior bowl, cheers.

13. By Don on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

Well, I cannot and will not say that Ford hasn’t done anything right since he bought the TEAM Ron.
    Allthough we are all entitaled to our own opinion.
    BUT, I am Glad that We finally have a great coach that knows what he is doing too!
    Lets See if the Media and or others in the Organization let him Finish the Job. Usually at the End of A coach’s 2nd year or the Beggining of his third year This TEAM or Organization will cave to whatever the Media and Fans (so called)are crying for because they didn’t get thier Imediate Gratification and then they dump the chump!
    Well the whole NFL knows that Schwartz is not a chump.
    So this time if they fire him like they have all the others Then they prove that as a organization that they are NOT Very smart and that justifies thier losing.
    I am wondering how long this TEAM will keep blaming the coach for what the players wont do!
    Well Hopefully this coach is going to get the right players that will listen to thier coach and follow his Lead!

14. By Bob on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

With the second overall pick we really need help on the D line and would take either Suu or McCoy which ever is available. From there not knowing how bad Smiths knee injury is I would look at either rb’s or help with the secondary and try to pick up a good / great cb out of the pac 10 and with our third pick in the second round I would take either a rb or cb also known as best player available that fits our needs on the defensive side of the ball. The offense is pretty much set except for a few minor needs such as a good secondary / slot receiver and a decent back up for Smith so I expect this draft to be heavy on defensive players and with this coaching staff I expect some great picks from them. I have been a Lions fan since day one and am actually looking forward to the draft intstead of fearing it. All I can say is this team looks like it might finally be turning the corner and become the franchise it was meant to be.

15. By Drew on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

Yeah I hope we get another Bell at RB, In 2007 we had Tatum Bell, then he got injured and Rod Marinell1 cut him for rudi Johnson then we have been losing since! So hopefully he could be our lucky break!

16. By TristanTheGreat on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

Man hopefully we can get on the right track this year.lol but we need help all around a second wideout dat can help big play Clavin Johnson and a running back like LT and some help on the the other side of the ball.

17. By John on Jan 25, 2010 | Reply

Bell would be fine on day 3. However, the focus of this draft should be improving the defense. The Lions need some impact defensive linemen to create pressure on opposing QBs, but more importantly, some starting quality defensive backs. Delmas can’t do it all by himself.

18. By kalen santiago on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

detroit lions 2010 draft picks
    1st…….DT (suh)
    2nd……DE (Edward)Michigan
    3rd…….RB(best)california (move up to get him boy got skills)
    the rest are all toss ups hope we get those first two picks
    GO LIONs!!!!!!!!!!!