Schwartz sits down with Sirius NFL Radio at the Senior Bowl

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on January 26, 2010 – 7:08 pm

After Tuesday’s North team practice in Mobile, Alabama, Head Coach Jim Schwartz sat down with Sirius NFL Radio to talk about the Senior Bowl and the Detroit Lions.

Schwartz was more pleased with day two of practice after the players struggled to get things down in day one.

Schwartz: “They made a big jump from yesterday to today and hopefully we’ll make a big jump from today to tomorrow. We didn’t have meeting time before this morning’s practice, so we had to install a bunch yesterday – it’s just part of the game.”

Though Schwartz and his staff are preparing for a game on Saturday, practice methods are slightly different than they normally would be for game preparation.

Because this game is so closely tied with player evaluation, players are rotated through different positions and put through more individual drills to better see their skill set.

Schwartz: “You want to install enough to see how well they learn and see them in different situations, but the one thing you don’t want to do is overload them.”

In his interview with Sirius, Schwartz was asked whether he had studied the crop of defensive linemen coming out in this year’s NFL Draft.

Schwartz says he makes a point not to pre-evaluate players because he doesn’t want it to skew what he thinks when seeing them practice.

Schwartz: “A lot of times if you pre-judge – if you already say, ‘Hey, this is what the player is’ – you don’t accept (his performance at face value) in a game like the Senior Bowl. You say, ‘Well, he looks good in this, but I don’t think he’s very good.’ Or, ‘Hey, I think he’s really good’ and then you excuse him not doing so well in a game like this.

“I try to keep an open mind – let these games stand on their own – and then circle back and really get a good evaluation after watching them in a game like this.”

Listen to the full Sirius interview

Tags: ,

14 Responses to “Schwartz sits down with Sirius NFL Radio at the Senior Bowl”

1. By Cannusaylion on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

The lions will take mcoy or suh in the first
    then do you take iupati, Graham or jahvid best?

2. By Don on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

I have to say that even though there have been a few things that I may or may not have agreed with at times.
    I am Very excited to have Mayhew and Schwartz out there evaluating More prospects again This year.
    And I have High expectations of who they Might or Might not Bring into our LIONS DEN.
    I watched the practices today and was Very Impressed with Mike Iupati! This guy is the real thing when you talk about multi Dementional.
    However I would just Love to see him at Left guard.that would make me very happy to have him in that position. Or at least from what I saw.
    I know this I trust that these guy’s(Scouts and Mayhew and Schwartz will have a good idea of who is right for the team and who isn’t.
    I just wish there was a way to Keep our No. two pick in the first rd. And still get another first rd and a bunch of second rds.
    Oh,well I should Be happy for what we have.
    I wish someone would say just what it is that we do have?
    LIONS!

3. By Don on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

OH, Vladimar Ducasse was very impressive also.(:

4. By Don on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

I don’t know how the Lions are thinking And even though we have not allway’s agreed and Maybe the Lions would not agree with me here either and that would be ok Knowing that I am not a Scout.( even though that would be a dream come true!)
    I REALLY believe that we need a TRUE LG. And THE best one that we can get.
    I just REALLY believe that Getting a LG is the MOST pressing NEED FOR TALENT on this TEAM.
    AND GOING with the Best Player Available at that time I would believe that LG WOULD be the Head of the REBUILDING PROCESS FOR THIS TEAMS Foundation!
    WE NEED TO GET BIG AND STRONG and be smart about it.
    I would Love to See either a DT or DE be the Next pick up in the Draft!
    And if that Pick up was Brandon Graham I believe that that would be another GREAT Pick up at our 2nd pick of the Draft. Whatever our 2nd pick is.32 OR 35 OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT?
    As far as I have seen the DT position is Deep this YEAR.(IN THE DRAFT)
    And picking a good or Even GREAT DT can still be done even after we would take Brandon Graham.
    Which would be a great Position to go after,after we would take Graham.
    A DT.
    This is all speculation of coarse.On my part anyway.
    And I believe that there would Still be time for a RB and a CB.
    IT is hard to say because NO matter which way you go somewhere one or some of the Guy’s that you would like to take are going to be taken in the Meantime?
    That is a Bumber.
    Because I would also Like to See Jioke Bell RB at Wayne ST.( I may have the Spelling wrong on his name,Sorry) Come to be on our TEAM also!
    And I believe that there is a DB from Tennessee that I would like to have a shot at also.
    However,I believe that This TEAM NEEDS Talented Players to be added to this TEAM UP FRONT ON BOTH LINES!
    Like I say That is just what I would like to see.
    I know however that I am not a Scout.(DARN)
    BUT,I do TRUST THAT Mayhew and Schwartz and the Scouts that are out there Are going to Make the Right Picks.
    I will say this if I haven’t allready? I am not sold on SUU and or McCoy for DTs.
    I know thats what Mayock is saying However With the Profile that this TEAM discussed last year.
    It soundwed to me that we would GO after VERY BIG MEN UP FRONT! VERY BIG!
    And even though SUU and McCoy are big BUT not that big and at least one of them have Injury problems with his knees.(That has never gone right when we pick a guy that allready has injury problems). I believe that this TEAM can Find a better Bigger, Stronger,Faster,smarter DT out there in the DRAFT.
    There is at least one out there that was on the ALABAMA TEAM that is awefull enteresting.
    I have to get ready to watch the Practice With OUR GREAT COACHING STAFF Coaching at the Senior Bowl.
    OH, and anyway’s I hope this TEAM sticks to the VERY, VERY, VERY, BIG,STRONG,SMART,FAST GUY’S.
    LIONS!

5. By Don on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Oh and there is a lot of time left yet! (:
    And I didn’t get to watch the EAST WEST SHRINE GAME?
    ): SO NOW I missed all the opertunities there were with that Scenario.): BUMMER!

6. By Kim on Jan 27, 2010 | Reply

Hey, where are you guys(Lions) hangin out tonight in Mobile?

7. By Drew on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

It would be nice to see Brandon Graham and Joquine Bell as Lions im sick of Lossing, Everyday i wear my Lions Jerseys just praying for an average season, havent seen that since Tatum Bell was a Lion in 2007! Hope we do well recruiting! If this organization is smart they will keep Anthony Henry, William James, Larry Foote, Julian Peterson, Grady Jackson, Phillip Buchannon, Marvin White, Dennis Northcutt, Bryant Johnson and Patrick Ramsey!

8. By Aaron on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

I disagree with keeping Dennis Northcutt. He was brought in for punt-returning and to be a threat out of the slot and so far he cannot do either. I saw him drop way too many passes and couldn’t even bring a ball in correctly on some punt-returns, that’s why they went out and got Brian Witherspoon whom I think will solve the Lion’s problems on punt-returns. The first two picks for the Lions should be either both D-Line or Both O-Line. With the number 2 pick they should take Gerald McCoy (assuming the Rams make the smart choice of drafting Suh) and then with the 34th pick take Brandon Graham. These two moves, should these two guys live up to expectations, would bring instant credibility to the D-Line. If they decide to go O-Line then they should take Russell Okung with the No. 2 pick and Mike Iupati @ 34. Matthew Stafford is the face of our franchise so you need to get him some better protection out there. Another thing they could do is trade out of the number 2 spot, mostlikely with the Raiders at number 9 whom are looking to move up in the draft to get either Suh or McCoy. I think this would be a great option as this draft is so deep at both sides of the ball. If this is the case, they could take Rolando McClain as he may be the best player available at that spot or Dan Williams, either pick-up would be great. In one of the later rounds we could also end up taking Runningback Toby Gebhart as a good physical back if he’s still available. The thing I like most about this draft is that we have a lot of options to help us get competitive. Of course I’m sure my opinions will change when things get closer to draft day :-)

9. By Mike on Jan 28, 2010 | Reply

I read the Lions webpage everyday and have become an eternal optimist hoping for Lions Glory. If anyone that makes decisions is reading please trade down the No. 2 pick in 1st and 2nd rounds to maximize draft picks in rounds 1, 2 and 3 (hopefully 5 picks vs. 3, we need players). Even if you have faith in Backus (Coach’s comments at end of year) get a good tackle in the 1st round for the future and move Backus to LG after one year of taken a young drafted tackle under his wing. Backus is a great run blocker, but the lack of defending the edge speed killed Joey’s career. Other priority is lock up Foote for life so his work ethic and smarts can build the Detroit defense. Next to last, if you can draft Michigan born players they may be more willing to stay in Detroit longer for less money. The current NFL has a solid starting lineup of former Lions players at almost every position that got away. Lastly, if Mike Williams isn’t strung out on coke somewhere and has actually grown up, sign him to a minimum salary and make him a possession receiver out of the slot. We never used him right the 1st time and either did the Raiders. He was built to run over the middle at 5 -7 yards and make catches in traffic. Great hands, great talent, wasted. He’s still young, give him a call.

10. By lionsfaithful on Jan 29, 2010 | Reply

If your Lions Fiathful, Visit http://www.lionsfaithful.com and show your faith!

11. By dan tyler on Feb 7, 2010 | Reply

I believe that the Lions should pursue Brandon Marshall of the Broncos or at least try to get another explosive wide receiver of that caliber. The new coach in Denver and Marshall clash big time. I think that Marshall would be a good fit here with Shwartz and Stafford. They definately need help in the backfield, defensive end (pass rusher), defensive tackle and help on the offensive line. If they tweek those positions, they will be a solid team.

12. By scott lowe on Mar 8, 2010 | Reply

long time lions fan since 1980 question SUH or MCOY?

13. By robert on Nov 28, 2010 | Reply

I can’t see jim being our coach after the season because we still can’t win games. I think we should try to get one of these top of the line coaches before it’s to late to get a good coach.

14. By Detroit Lions Junkie on May 18, 2012 | Reply

I could not be happier at the coaching and GM combination that we have going on right now!