Schwartz says Crossman will add more than scheme

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on January 26, 2010 – 3:21 am

There were a couple changes made to the Detroit Lions coaching staff in the past couple weeks with the departure of quarterbacks coach Jeff Horton and the addition of Special Teams Coordinator Danny Crossman.

Head Coach Jim Schwartz says he is pleased with his coaching staff, but is always looking for other opportunities that may come up.

Schwartz: “It’s always a work in progress and different things may arise or something like that.”

Offensive Coordinator Scott Linehan will continue his role as the team’s primary quarterbacks coach – something Schwartz was particular about during the hiring process last year.

Schwartz: “It was very important to me that the offensive coordinator speaks directly to the quarterbacks.”

There won’t be much of a change when it comes to the quarterbacks room – Linehan was in charge of meetings last year – but it will change some things during practice.

Schwartz: “(The quarterback coach) generally takes guys through the practice period, the individual period and then, also, when Scott’s talking to the first quarterback, is talking to the second and third quarterback.”

Schwartz says he chose to reorganize the staff at this point instead of fill the position.

As for Crossman, he is down at the Senior Bowl with the rest of the staff after having two days in Allen Park. Because of that, he hasn’t had much time at all to review Detroit’s current roster from a special teams standpoint, but is looking forward to doing that in the near future.

Crossman: “We’ll spend the next couple of weeks really evaluating and seeing where we’re at and go from there.”

One thing Crossman is looking to do is make changes. Even though the Lions have had some success in certain areas of their special teams, he believes a fresh start would make a positive impact.

Crossman: “Sometimes something new and fresh excites guys. So we’re going to change things. I won’t go into detail of exactly what we’re going to do but it’ll look a lot of different schematically. Then it all comes down to getting good players to play hard, to play tough and play fast.”

Though Crossman is looking to make schematic changes, Schwartz sees him making an impact beyond that.

Schwartz: “Special teams, you need to touch every single player on the team. Head coach, special teams coach (and the) strength and conditioning coach need to touch every single player. It’s not just all scheme. There’s some more to it and I think Danny fits that really well.”

Tags: ,

9 Responses to “Schwartz says Crossman will add more than scheme”

1. By Don on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

Welcome Mr. Crossman!
    Help us get this show on the road.
    If no one Has Mentioned it to you yet? This city really wants a winner. Bad!
    LIONS!

2. By Find Jobs on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

I’m sure you thought this article out well, but I slightly still disagree with what you say here.

3. By LIONAGE40* on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

Well coach, Im in for 40 + so u r going to do the right things we need for serious success , and Ihave a hope that I’ve nevr felt in the 40+ yrs that we’ve been waitn on up here in the greatest, hardest city this side of the planet. I know that this is a great thing we r about 2 see , and I hope to show all doubters that I’m right . So go forth coach . I for 1 amongst the DLN (Detroit Lions Nation) have already felt the change of destiny,

4. By Chris on Feb 4, 2010 | Reply

it’s obvious we really can’t get much worse. we had an 0-16 season followed by 2-14, but where were the saints last year? the aint’s are in the superbowl for the first time ever. i don’t care who we hire to tell you the truth. we have the talent and the motivation from coaches and the fans to get better. see you in the playoffs next year! and you can quote that

5. By McIvor on Feb 14, 2010 | Reply

One thing I love about Crossman already is that he said something to the effect of “if we lose, its my fault first, then the players.” It’s nice to have a coach who’s willing to take responsibility in Detroit. As for the scheme changes, obviously the previous scheme didn’t work out so well, so I’m all for a good shake-up.

6. By rawsushi10 on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Detroit Lions has the worst Defensive unit ever in the NFL. Its as bad as a little league team can even scores on their Defense, that is how I see it. In order for Detroit to be a contender team or at least start winning games next season, they need to solid their defensive unit to stop their opponents from scores. It doesn’t matter how good the offensive unit is, if the Defensive unit can’t stop, then there is no way the Lions will ever win a games. So, the bottom line is take advantage of the draft 2 to select one of the top DE, either suk or McCoy to help Bosh put pressure on the opponent’s QB, they don’t have so much time to look for receivers to pass ball.

Then use later draft choices to pick a few more defensive back to help the secondary unit to stop opponent’s receivers. FOCUS on Defense first because Lions Offense is already an average team compare to many other teams.

Lastly, I feel the design of the Lions’s LOGO is weak that has not strong or threat significate to the team. An animal with a tail lift up is a looser. This has a lot to do with the Lions organization/team. The Lions will not be a best team until the Logo is redesign… I suggest a new logo of a very mean facial expression of the Lion’s head without the full figure of the Lions. Its like the Lion is about to bite something etc…

As a fan of the Lions for many years it is sadden that I saw many good football players came into the organization and end their career their for un worthy… like Barry Sander, Andrew Ware… all those guys are very talent football players but they just end their career with the Lions that has no meaning what so ever. The Lions organization had misused many of the great football players and I feel its time to stop and try something else. If the organization doesn’t change it way os operation and ways of build players, I can guranttee, Coach Schwart will be out in another seaon cause its all loosing records. The Organization has a disease the need to be cure, if not, even if GOD comes down to coach the Lions will still be a looser team. My 2 cent to the Lions! Good luck next season.

7. By rawsushi10 on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

BTW, I heard Lions going to draft another first round OL to protect Mathew. If you have that kind of $$$ give it to me and I will give you some ideas to win football games without another OL. Maybe the owner /coach/GM of Lions need to read my reply. another 2 cent for the Lions.

8. By Jeremiah on May 17, 2010 | Reply

Well rawsushi, I agree with you on several aspects, however, the logo must stay! Discarding the logo will not make them better. I like the improvements on detail that they made to it already and i think they need to leave it alone. As for your statements at the end… The Lions have historically had some success. They won championships before it became the Super Bowl. Barry had a very successful career, and it wasn’t a waste. They were a few plays from being in the Super Bowl one year. Andre Ware was talented yes, but his success or lack there of had nothing to do with the Lions and everything to do with his motivation. If you are basing your judgment on talent alone, then Heath Schuler, Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, and Jamarcus Russell would all either be in, or on their respective ways to the hall of fame. Jim Schwartz will be our coach for the forseeable future because he is installing a winning attitude and toughness that has been lacking. Yes, we were only 2-16 last year, but the 0-16 record wasn’t his regime. Gotta give time to overhaul a team that has been bad for so long. Lastly, you gotta have faith. If you are in fact a Lions fan, they don’t need to hear you say there is a “disease” in the in the organization. Trust and believe they are on the rise. Maybe it won’t be this year, but soon we will be atop the NFC North and making a push for the Super Bowl!

9. By Brainstorm5 on May 26, 2010 | Reply

Go, Lions!
    I agree whith the overall feel of what everyone is saying. The highlits on defense, seem to be almost exactly what they are doing. But I think the logo change is out of order. I like the new logo, but I would love to see them in the black jerseys more often. Lets give them a reason to talk about the black and blue devision again. Go Schwartz, go Stafford, DETROIT LIONS FOOTBALL!!!!