Offseason will be Significant for Second-Year Offensive Players

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on February 3, 2010 – 7:40 pm

With a month having gone by since the conclusion of the regular season, Offensive Coordinator Scott Linehan is looking forward to healthier players when they return for the 2010 offseason program on March 15.

After the first two weeks of the season, injuries plagued different starters week-to-week, making it difficult for his young skill players to develop as a unit.

Linehan: “Of the pieces that we have, we’ve got a ways to go there because we were never able to consistently have Matthew (Stafford) and Calvin (Johnson) working together. We had our ups and downs with both of them staying healthy.”

This offseason will be big for Stafford and the other members of last year’s draft class. Players don’t report to their teams until the first week of May and then they can’t come back for the offseason program until late May depending on their college’s graduation date.

That leaves rookies with approximately five weeks of total offseason work, something that makes transitioning into the NFL that much harder.

For a quarterback in particular, getting that time with teammates to gel together is invaluable.

Linehan: “It’s him building a relationship with players and getting that trust factor. It’s still going to be valuable to him building his rapport with the offensive line, Brandon (Pettigrew), the backfield – all those guys.”

Working together, going over specific play types and just getting a feel for one another will undoubtedly have tangible results in 2010.

Though players are coming off injuries, the lone factor of having this time to work with the coaching staff is still beneficial.

Additionally, both the players and coaches will be working with one another having already spent a season together. Last year, the majority of the coaching staff was new as well.

Linehan: “I’m excited about the second go-round because you’re not putting together a playbook working with guys you’ve never worked with. Having that continuity going into this offseason and knowing what we have and knowing where we’ve got to get to be at a different level than we were a year ago – that’s exciting.”

Tags: , , ,

60 Responses to “Offseason will be Significant for Second-Year Offensive Players”

1. By kalen santiago on Feb 3, 2010 | Reply

its gonna be nice to see all the players healthy this year i cant wait to see who gonna step up this year…hopefully we get another WR (Brandon marshall) (Vincent jackson). then the offense would be go to go…on the other side of the ball delmas keep ballin like he did last year and a new DT (suh)or(mccoy) with some free agents help with players like (joey porter) and (carols rodgers) we should have a good run into to the playoffs.

2. By Anthony Tsantles on Feb 3, 2010 | Reply

I can only hope that the first year of injuries isnt a set back to Pettigrew and Stafford. Both players look promising. I am intrigued about the LB corps. Who is staying? I would love to see an increased role for both Levy and Follet. If the Lions fail to address both lines and that horrendous secondary though, the LB corps will be pointless to think about. My thought is, why not use one or two of those LB’s to get some other potential help. A strong corner or defensive end would be fantastic. Or just keep using JP on the line and move Foote or Sims out of town for help at corner. Anyway, good luck, Lions, I’ll have your back like always.. Sure would be nice to not have double digit losses this year though. ;-)

3. By Jordan on Feb 4, 2010 | Reply

definetly we should keep an eye on plaxico buress too just in case he becomes availiable!

4. By lee on Feb 4, 2010 | Reply

how about a running back? remember last off season, larry foote was the only guy that actually wanted to come to d-town? the big names arnt gonna come this year either, but here are 2 names that might Lendel White and Plaxico. plax is ofcorse from the area and schwartz was whites coach in tenn. a couple of cheep vetran o-lineman and a good draft focoused on defence with a couple guys like white and plax could make a big difference, I dont dare say playoffs but mabey a winning record?

5. By Alpha Predator on Feb 4, 2010 | Reply

im looking forward to picking up some peices to go with matthew “pimp hand” stafford, optimus nine, whatever you wann call him, kids got an arm

6. By timothy long jr on Feb 4, 2010 | Reply

these are the people we need 2 look at hopefully we get another WR (Brandon marshall) (Vincent jackson)DT (suh)or(mccoy)(joey porter) and (carols rodgers) or some kind of player even if we draft a wr how bout jordan shiply Taylor Mays,Joe Haden,Kyle Wilson Mardy Gilyard Joe McKnight we reall need Dexter McCluster, WR/RB John Jerry Ryan Mathews Miles Austin-Jones Braylon Edwards Jammal Brown Jared Gaither Marcus McNeill Charlie Johnson Jahri Evans Logan Mankins Marshal Yanda Terence Newman Richard Marshall Marlin Jackson Elvis Dumervil Ellis Hobbs Nick Collins Thomas Howard Kellen Clemens Troy Smith Derrick Burgess Tank Johnson Julius Peppers Richard Seymour Jarvis Green ok these are the type of player we need to look at i’m tired of lose season every year you mean to tell me we got a player better no that dont fly wit me some old players gotta go Daunte Culpepper we love you but you noy for are system we need 2 keep cj he are best guy you be going backwards if u get him out of detroit gm need to do they dam job this off season stop sitting on your fat ass and get this team rollin schwartz is the best coach for us we crossman 2 add more scheme try doing a trap blocking if u wanna keep stafford he be gettin killed out there take a look at brees and how they block for them comeon now coaches put some heart in the dam players i know we work hard but let take it up more i’m sick of next year cut the bs we need to start now we going in the right path but we not taking no steps and we need somebody out ther to help louis delmas he ball for us and yes we had almost the whole team hurt but still we gotta get everybody in fighting shape we gotta work wit what we got so yea keep that in mind yoll should already have a list of people u want on your team already so if yoll need me plz email me i can helpout alot its and lets tight up the defense more also look at players at pro day them be the ones who wont to play they got more to prove its a guy i watch his at St. Francis (PA) Red Flash name Terrance Long he had a great season he lead the Northeast with int and had a good season yoll need to check him out a proday…………

7. By Brandon on Feb 4, 2010 | Reply

yea we need to get some attention off Calvin but we need people to block for Stafford to be able to get his rhythm going so he can stay healthy.. NEED to look into picking up another CB.. Can’t have teams going up and down the field on us with big passing yards. But Delmas like you said needs to keep up his game. Overall i think we are gettin closer and we will see what free agency has to offer!!!

8. By Don on Feb 4, 2010 | Reply

Plaxico Buress would be a great WR to get as long as he can keep himself on the Strait and Narrow.
    What we don’t Need is distractions from the Primary Goal. Winning Games!
    I do Believe that we could use some new WRs in the Mix.
    DTs also. However These two Suu or McCoy? I’m not sure that they fit the Philosiphy Of This TEAM.
    And One of them allready had KNEE issues.
    WE don’t Need any more KNEE issues.
    And we also Need an Offensive Guard.REAL BAD!
    If the Tackle positions are as Strong as the TEAM believes that it is Then we REALLY NEED a BIG TIME GUARD!BIG AND NASTY!
    And If we can Find us a RB to Take turns with Kevin and Muarice Morris. That with a new guard and FB would go a long ways. A lot of people arent even thinking about the FB position however in the run game that is VERY important also! With all of that our offence should be ready to go.
    And if they could all be together during training camp It should be an exciting Offensive game.
    I also believe that we could find a good CB and DT in the Draft or FA.
    And If we TAKE the DE Brandon Graham From Michigan! NICE!
    And with all the guy’s that we have from last year as solid Back ups!
    I would like to know if this TEAM is going to look for another corner and safety? Because it would be nice to get someone else to go along with Delmas.
    I really think that if we could find another FB That, that Might be another welcome Man on the offensive side of the ball also.
    A lot of those Missed assignments that everyone including myself were blaming Backus for messing up were actually the missed assignment of the FB.
    I really like Jerome Felton and wish that he would be able to handle the other RB position and thought that he would have a real impact at that FB position however he hasn’t seemed to get the job done consistantly.
    To be able to handle that job you have to be there on every down. Jerome seems to be there half the time.
    Great guy and is Really good when he’s on top of it but when he is not others are paying the price for it.
    Anyways it sounds like a whole lot and it is However, this TEAM and Mayhew and Schwartz can find the right men and get the job done.
    WE just have to Keep Mathew Stafford Standing up and not running for his life.
    He got caught way to much last year.
    So Those two positions have to be fixed.
    Guard and FB is a must. And it can be taken care of by the Draft or FA? I don’t care which but,it has to be done.
    And I SURE wish that we would draft a Guard that will be here for a long long time.
    LIONS!

9. By Don on Feb 4, 2010 | Reply

NO MATTER WHAT? I love this TEAM! Sometimes I get to wrapped up about it all. BUT,I STILL LOVE THIS TEAM!
    LIONS!

10. By Paul on Feb 4, 2010 | Reply

come on! this is the best time of the year for lions fans!! the offseason!!! some how i believe theyll screw it up. Hey i got it… draft a wide reicever number 2

11. By Josh Rigsby on Feb 4, 2010 | Reply

I really want Suh, but if it means Stafford staying safe i say we go Okung or like Don Said A gaurd would be great. I’m Saying a guard in the 2nd or third round unless theres someone good enough in FA. But Go Lions.

12. By Preston on Feb 4, 2010 | Reply

I think Detroit can dictate their own destiny in the 2010 draft by trading down or simply taking Eric Berry over McCoy and Suh. If they take Berry they get Delmas help. You can always throw over a Dline but the saftey’s are always there, besides another good safety can open up blitz’s, play the run, and play the pass. Look at the Titans after Haynesworth…they got their secondary playmakers back and he was never missed. A run stuffing DT is all we need and he can be obtained in later rounds and one will surely be there if Detroit passes on a DT at their first round pick and the Rams take a QB.

13. By matt on Feb 4, 2010 | Reply

I think the draft should look like this… I think we got 8 pix with 2 in the fifth

areas of need on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the greatest) in respect to one another: Dline (11), Oline (9), secondary (7), RB (5), WR(3), LB (-1):

First pick – DT

Second pick – G (if a G like Iupati is there)/DE (if a DE like graham is there)/ or best available CB or S for our scheme

Third pick – G/DT/CB or S/RB/WR/ or DE (G if we didn’t pick a G in the second round, then the better prospect of Dline or secondary unless of course an outstanding player one of the other positions remains that is definitely not going to drop to the fourth)

Fourth pick – As far as I am concerned, hopefully at this point we have drafted a DT, G, and CB or S so that we can adjust our focus to the skill positions on offense – RB/WR (however if one of the 3 positions, DT/G/secondary haven’t been addressed then they should be weighed in also. Of those, the most outstanding player available leaning towards need)

The other picks should apply the same formula as I used. The best player available who is going to improve this team the most. I don’t think we are going to draft ourselves into the playoffs this year, but with another good draft suring our biggest weaknesses, next year it can be plausible.

14. By Alex on Feb 4, 2010 | Reply

Just to play devil’s advocate, without pressure from the D-Line, receivers will have more time to get open and make plays. I am a fan of Eric Berry, but without addressing the problems up front, they will continue to have the same problems.

If the Lions got Suh or McCoy, they could look to steal Graham in the second round. That gives them a viable run stopper and an upgrade in the pass rush as well. In the third round, they can target some help for Delmas in the backfield and in the fourth find the guard they need.

15. By NY LION on Feb 4, 2010 | Reply

Trade down get xtra picks, hopefully stay in the top ten, then go with cj spiller you need a back that can take the heat off of matt! spiller is that man, sign free agents for the DL,two DB’, trade Sim’s,or tell to drop 20 and put him at safety! DE,OSI is available here for the giants, DL, at #2 is spooky, look at the jets, they picked golston from the buckeye’ top five pick????? haven’t heard from him since… I will be holding down the DETROIT LION PRIDE HERE IN THE BRONX , AT BRIDGES BAR EAST TREMOUNT, GOLIONS!!!!!!

16. By Spawn on Feb 4, 2010 | Reply

I really think if we get a DT to pair with Sammie Hill in the First, if we get a Guard in free agency which I hope we do, we can grab someone like brandon graham or kyle wilson at the top of the 2nd round, maybe a dexter mccluster in the 3rd. Whooo!! that would be nice.

17. By Steve on Feb 4, 2010 | Reply

While I agree that Delmas needs some help, I disagree with them getting Berry. McCoy or Suh would give us the QB pressure we need to force dumb throws and more incomplete passes, which will in turn make being a Safety or a DB for the Lions much easier. The QB’s this year had way to much time in the pocket to pick us apart. I am not saying to ignore our secondary in the draft, I am just saying we can take care of that in the 3rd-7th rounds. As far as offense, I agree with trying to upgrade the receiver spot, but if Iupati is some how there in the second it would be a huge steal! Go Lions!

18. By Mike OBrien on Feb 4, 2010 | Reply

I agree they should trade down in the draft and take berry. They should go after peppers in free agency.

19. By Chris on Feb 4, 2010 | Reply

It has been a while, but I am looking forward to the 2010 season. This past season brought back alot of hope towards building a good team. I hope Stafford can keep his leadership abilities without getting to cocky or “over confident.” But he needs a line that can protect him and not let him get beat around like he was last year. Also, I haven’t heard any updates on Kevin Smith or maybe the possibilites of getting another running back. I love the Lions and look forward to the draft and upcoming season. As I said, it has been a long while since I have looked forward to the upcoming season.

20. By daniel on Feb 4, 2010 | Reply

draft Eric berry enogh said! GO lions!!

21. By Mark on Feb 4, 2010 | Reply

Preston man.. listen. While I see where you are coming from, you should know that no team WANTS to blitz. The reason DT is soo important and get 100 mil dollar contracts and safeties don’t is because DT and DEs that get to the QB make the job easier for the safeties. If we have two amazing safeties that are running around all day because there is no pressure on the quarterbacks then the two safeties are gunna look horrible. A safety’s best friend is a rushed throw or sack. We have one stud safety that can make a fill in look better as long as we have a solid D rush. While you say a DT can be taken in later rounds, I say you are crazy. We took Delmas (the #1 rated safety) in the 2nd round. SO we can get a top 10 safety later in the draft while the top 10 DTs will all be gone by the 2nd round.

C’Monnn Mannn.
    P.S. Ill take SUH or McCoy and then Taylor Mays or B Graham in the 2nd. Sounds better than Berry at #2 pick in the draft

22. By jason on Feb 4, 2010 | Reply

i hope next year we get to see at least 8 wins there are key things we nee to appove on one is start putting the rookies in there like williams the line backer zack f and arron brown we have to learn to put our trust in them lets start out young and get those guys in there zack f hits hard if you ever seen him on special teams he is a beast and wr williams need to put him in there he will be a star like calvin i just have this feeling and arron brown put him in there as a running back special teams this guy has talent and of course brandin stafford and delmas we need to draft some defence and o line and we should be doing great this year i will always follow the lions no matter what and hope oneday we win the big game

23. By damon on Feb 4, 2010 | Reply

What detroit needs to do is focus on defense. that is what mostly killed them last season. the secondary needs better talent. and the d-line needs people who can get to the QB quick and in a hurry. And their defensive schemes needs to be re looked at. If i was their defensive coach I would surely do that, I even have some great ideas that has been proven that works. The only thing needs addresed on offense the o-line. better protection for stafford. And stay healthy on offense. If they do that they have a 75% chance of making the super bowl next season.

24. By Nick on Feb 4, 2010 | Reply

1st round Eric Berry
    2nd round OT
    3rd round OT
    4th round CB
    5th round DT
    6th round DT
    7th round WR

Pick up all the rest in the Free Agency!!!!!

25. By JEFF on Feb 5, 2010 | Reply

If the rams take a quarterback first then the lions should trade with San Francisco for their 2 first round picks and get their DT and Gaurd or trade switch with Tampa Bay and let them have the 2 pick and we take the 3 pick plus their 2nd round pick and they could get real better quick.

26. By lionsfan on Feb 5, 2010 | Reply

how about grabbing LT!!! now there is a rb worth going to get

27. By Wayne on Feb 5, 2010 | Reply

I can’t help it every year I get such high hopes for the Loins. Then they let me down. I think they are on the right path though. Very tough schedule this year. It’s crazy to say we need a wide reciever after drafting what, 10 in 10 years. But I guess we do. Brandon Marshal is a big cry baby, but they all are. Just shut your mouth and catch the ball! I will be a Lions fan till I die. I don’t care what anyone says. At least I stick behind my team. I hate bandwagoners! I hope they win it all before I die.

28. By Wayne on Feb 5, 2010 | Reply

The Lions should definatly draft an offenseive lineman. Matt Stafford needs protection. If we can’t stop the rush then it wouldn’t matter if Manning was our QB we will loose.

29. By Kyle Myers on Feb 5, 2010 | Reply

i hope the lions take a LT so stafford can throw a desent pass to calvin johnson

30. By Kyle Myers on Feb 5, 2010 | Reply

we dont need to draft a dt in the first round we got terence taylor from michigan play him i bet he plays well

31. By brad on Feb 5, 2010 | Reply

Regarding the upcoming draft I really hope that the lions select a DE with their number two over all pick. DE is the weakest position on this team by far. I understand Suh and Mcoy look like real good players but I would love to see them take Morgan form GT he is a true 4-3 DE. then pick up a DT in free agency or pick a guy like Houston form Texas in the 2nd or 3rd round. If Matt Millen were in charge he’d take Berry.

32. By casey on Feb 6, 2010 | Reply

I think Matthew will make huge strides in 2010. He will take control of this team as in unquestioned leader. I don’t expect a huge playoff run. I think the Pack,Chi-town and the Vikes will have to earn every inch if they want to win the division this time. We must adress the secondary and bring in one more DT to play with sammie. The Gaurd posistion mostly on the left side has to adressed as well not only for Staffords health but to try and get this running game going. I must also say I AM LOVING FOLLETT the guy plays aggresive and with heart on every play. He can be a true model to some of are players to play everydown with everything you have.

33. By Dereck on Feb 6, 2010 | Reply

wowww! i’m as big of a lion fan as any of you but some of you are just delusional. The lions have 10 or 11 holes right now and 1 season probably wont fix half of them.even if they draft really well every year realistically you have 3 years of drafts and atleast one more after that to develop some of those guys. so playoffs are not going to happen this year and it would take a miracle for it to happen next year too. but .500 is alot more logical somewhere between 5-8 wins

34. By Dereck on Feb 6, 2010 | Reply

and passing on suh if he’s there would be mind boggling. it cant happen over night if your trying to build for the future years to come but i do believe that we got our coach, millen is gone, and mayhew delivered our best draft in over a decade. so we our headed in the right direction for the first time this millenium. but deep into the playoffs or a superbowl birth is just ludicris.If you think thats going to happen this year you havent been watching the same games that i have. they need a whole new d-line,corners, left side of their 0-line, and realistically another running back,and a #2 reciever. bryant is pretty good but he’s really a #3.

35. By Glover on Feb 6, 2010 | Reply

Okay guys I have been on this site for a minute now and I just have to voice my opinion on some things. First of all, yeah the first thing that needs to be addressed is our defense. Suh would be a great addition to go along with Hill and the two DE’s that we have. After that we need another CB that can be top rate with Bucannon and Delmas in the defensive backfield. I think that with these changes we will be more successful at stopping teams from putting up just a few more points than our offense has been able to put up. This has been our sole issue going back to the Wayne Fontes days.
    Then yes we can start to address the offense. There may be two houses of thought where that goes. First with a potent offense the opponent defense will be forced to hold off on some of their blitzes and keep pressure off of Stafford. The second is the thinking that we could become a ground it out team and using the clock and maintain ball control and thus field control. If you are a fan of the first then yes by all means pick up a (I really like this idea) Brandon Marshal, Vincent Jackson, (Plaxico Burress comon guys he won’t even be ready until 2011 and by that time he will be 34 yr old). As a received not likely that he will have an impact on another pro football game period. I think they will address first and foremost the offensive line. The reason for this is we went into every game this year with no less than 10 injuries for those of us that follow the week to week injury report. We had injuries to Stafford, Culpepper, Stanton, C. Johnson, Smith, Pettigrew, Williams, and Northcut and that’s the offensive skill positions that I am able to remember off the top of my head. This comes from poor protection up front causing Stafford, a gun slinging, risk taking, rookie to take more chances and put guys in compromising positions. With us, yes I say us because I am a part of this organizations spiritual core, having so many injuries, an entire new system, new ideologies and all that we haven’t been able to come to complete cohesion on offense, defense, or special teams.
    It is really hard to gauge this team on last year’s performance and potential for future growth with all of the adversities that we had last year. However I do think that this administration has us heading in the right direction. I believe that the more the players accept the ideologies of the coaching staff and learn to trust one another that will expedite the growth of this team to reach their maximum potential. Regardless of the pieces to the puzzle that are brought in success is unachievable without acceptance of the ideals taught by the administration. We are rebuilding and that’s the bottom line. No overnight success was built overnight.

36. By Nino on Feb 7, 2010 | Reply

I love the LIONS!!! I think we should think defense in the draft…. Take Graham, Suu, or Berry! Also we have to hit free agents hard to find a OL and help for MEGATRON!!! We never take full advantage of opportunities in free agent, a young Vincent Jackson wont hurt…. or even T.O!

37. By nick on Feb 7, 2010 | Reply

LIons need defensive back help. they are usualy in the ranked low in pass defense. if they draft berry he could be the next Darrelle Revis. berry was the top rated CB out of highschool. if he doesnt work out at CB they still have the best young saftey duo in the league

38. By Anthony on Feb 8, 2010 | Reply

1st Round – Ndamukong Suh ( Neb) DT
    2nd Round – Brandon Graham (Michigan) DE
    3rd Round – Dexter Mccluster (Ole Miss) RB
    Lions We Really Need Help On Our D-Line Look At The Vikings D-Line & Colts D-Line..It Dictates Their Whole Defense, We Don’t Need A Corner The D-line Pressure Will Make The Secondary Better…But I Know The Lions Administration Will Draft Stupid In The 2nd & 3rd Round As Usual…….Need A G & KR if anything

39. By Anthony on Feb 8, 2010 | Reply

Don’t Trade Down & Don’t Draft Berry….SUH is the man….We need a dominating defense not a finese defense with Eric Berry…Most Fans don’t know football i see by the other posts

40. By Anthony on Feb 8, 2010 | Reply

Jon Asamoah (Ill) G – Is a monster that will dictate things in the trenches. I see alot of posts where fans i want CB.. There are notable good CB in this draft that can be picked up late. Kareem Jackson(ALA), Patrick Patterson(Flor State), Kyle wilson (Boise State)

41. By Chris on Feb 8, 2010 | Reply

can we please bring in some talent via free agency, i mean seriously lets trade some of those valuable draft picks. Why arent we gunning for ladanian or b marshall? we need big names to help guide the young guys, obviously taking the lower end guys from other teams didnt benefit us too much last year (although im a firm supporter in having brought in foote and peterson). Lets trade some draft picks, get some talent, and spend the rest of our picks on linemen.

42. By ryan on Feb 8, 2010 | Reply

we needa stop taken offense players, we got a top 5 reciever, great tight end, good running back, good quarter back, need o line, but defense we cant stop any good offense. we needa get tougher.

PFC MCKELVEY
    SCOUTS OUT!!!!!!

43. By nick on Feb 9, 2010 | Reply

1st round – Eric Berry
    2nd round – Graham MI/ Hughes TCU/ Paul Pierre USF. Any DE pass rusher
    3rd Round- Oline help

44. By Casey on Feb 9, 2010 | Reply

I like Jon Asamoah too…

Hey, Lions brass PLEASE sign free agents DE Aaron Kampman and LG Eugene Amano!

Kampman would thrive in our defensive system and Amano is probably one of the most effective pull&trap guards in the league…come on boys…that is the type of talent this roster needs..

45. By Jordan on Feb 10, 2010 | Reply

all i can say as far as the dante stallworth thing forget that! we need offensive line like GUARDS! AND TACKLES! not recivers we have those they were rooks they will get better and also not as injury prone! if linehan goes after a free agent how about julius peppers? whats up with the new rb we just signed? we have three good ones epescially if we mix the pass and run instead of pass with a little bit of run!

46. By Jordan on Feb 10, 2010 | Reply

hey anthony that is a pretty decent draft you got there man good stuff!

47. By Thomas on Feb 10, 2010 | Reply

I like the direction the Lions are moving. I have been a fan for nearly 30 years and have seen it all. The good times with Barry running the ball and the bad with the 0-16 season. I agree with many of the posts above, Suh or McCoy would be nice but so would MORE draft picks. I believe that a player of top 10 caliber could be found later in round one or even early on in round two. Free agency is nice, but it would be better to get players that are hungry to prove themselves coming into the league, rather than dealing with those who have already been in it for numerous years. This upcoming draft is heavy with talent. Giving up picks next year could get us more quality players this year. With a strong nucleus in place, we could shoot for free agents in 2011 (If we’re playing in 2011) who would want to come to an improving team. Trade down, Pick up a player like Berry or Okung, Brandon Graham or Pierre-Paul. Focus on defense or protecting Stafford. I hear rumors of possibly picking up WR Stallworth. Good idea. Give him a chance. I like the fact that he stopped and didn’t run from his responsibility. That shows CHARACTER. Also, don’t forget about Joique Bell. I think he would fit well into the system that’s in place and provide the Lions with some bite. Hopefully, he’s on your list. Good luck in the upcoming year. Work hard, play hard and let’s get some wins….

48. By Josh on Feb 12, 2010 | Reply

As a Tennessee Vol fan I would love to see Detroit draft Eric Berry. He really is the freakin man!!! However, I do say that if Suh is there at #2 you gotta get him. Hell, trade down and get the big fat guy from Alabama, he is a run stuffer!! Go Lions!!

49. By Patrick on Feb 12, 2010 | Reply

No matter how many recievers you have or how good your back, it is useless if you cant protect the quarterback. If he’s injured everything is for nothing.

50. By Anthony on Feb 13, 2010 | Reply

No Problem Jordan. I check the site regularly….just want the right picks in D-Town…..Who do you think Suh or McCoy???

51. By McIvor on Feb 14, 2010 | Reply

I want McCoy in the first round and Wilson in the second. (Iupati I see going late first round to Dallas.) Wilson is the cornerback equivalent of Delmas and Follet, something we need desperately. Couple that with McCoy rushing the QB and our defense shoots up the charts. (Still leaves us with the problem at LG though – are there any decent ones in round 3?) I’d also be happy picking up Boldin or Breaston from ARI. Either one would draw attention away from CJ, but Boldin is pretty fragile. Lots of people think we should sign Reggie Bush if available, but I don’t see much difference between him and Aaron Brown. Morris, Brown, and Dorsey should be able to hold down the RB position until Kevin Smith heals up.

52. By Marcel on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

I think Suh due to the fact that they say he can cover sideline to sideline. They say he has football inteligence,and a guy built like that with smarts is a tough find!

1. Suh
    2. Graham
    3. John Jerry
    4. Jordan Shipley
    5. Legarett Blount

53. By Aaron Wilson on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

Trading down I believe would be our best bet. If we can squeeze out 2 or more picks in the top 100, you could see this ship turn around pretty quick. I would trade next years picks off for this years even if it is not face value. example. next years 3 and 4 for a second this year. Even our 1st next year for a 2nd this year. By doing this we will have acquired picks in this deep draft, and avoid paying top dollar to not as good talent next year. This draft will be by far better than next years. If some projected 2nd round pick this year say if they come out next year they would be 1st rounders. Avoid another top 10 pick, stock up on talent this year. We could land 3 to 4 additional picks if done right, all with potential starting talent. By 2011 we could be championship contention!!

54. By Aaron Wilson on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

1. Suh or
    2. wilson or robinson at cb
    3. guard
    4. pass rushing end
    5. young athletic safety
    6. rb or wr best available
    7. cb with return ability to pair with brown

i actually would love to see this scenario

trade down from 2 with seattle and get 2 first rounders.

6. MORGAN
    13. SPILLER

second rd

say we get TERRANCE CODY dt
    and cb KYLE WILSON

OR BRANDON GRAHAM and PATRICK ROBINSON

now were talking 4 starters.
    trade next years pick for a couple 2s and 3s
    we could be looking at potentially 6 starters.

Go Lions!!!

55. By Don on Feb 16, 2010 | Reply

If any of you really want Brandon Graham he will have to be taken with the 2nd Pick in the first round.
    Because there is NO way that he is there for the 2nd pick. Or our 2nd pick,
    I think that as far as talent goes he is more talented than SUU OR McCOY.
    and we should take Graham with the 2nd pick of the 1st round.
    then if McCoy is still there with our 2nd pick then take him.
    I would pass on SUU all together.
    As far as a safety I would wait until the later rounds to take one of those.
    As far as a good Guard I don’t know where to take one or if we shuld try in Fa to get one? All I know is that we NEED one bad, real bad!
    Because like the man said earlier if the B goes down this thing is a done deal.
    We NEED Mathew STAFFORD TO STAY healthy.
    LIONS!

56. By Big J on Feb 17, 2010 | Reply

Solid Defense is the KEY! We get them off the field, we can win!

57. By Anthony on Feb 18, 2010 | Reply

1st – Suh
    2nd – Graham or Dunlop
    3rd – Mike Johnson From Alabama or Any Guard
    4th – Shipley

58. By seth on Feb 25, 2010 | Reply

draft barry he can halp the team and ifyou dont git barry tack ty law and put him at ss or fs he is a little old for cb but he will mack a good ss and and the cb from teaxis and then go brand gram i hpe i spelled that rigth 2round any wy you go i trust in you so go lion

59. By Anthony on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

After The Combine…Its Def Suh over McCoy….His Knee Doesn’t Matter Its Fine…..Suh in Detroit..He reminds me of Albert Haynesworth

60. By Detroit Lions #1 on May 30, 2012 | Reply

I can’t wait for this season!!! Super Bowl here we come! GO LIONS!!!