Could Detroit trade the No. 2 pick?

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on February 25, 2010 – 7:29 pm

The question of whether the Lions could potentially trade their No. 2 draft pick away came up on Thursday at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Head Coach Jim Schwartz didn’t endorse trading or keeping the pick, but instead said the organization would be open to anything.

Schwartz: “I think that whether you keep the second pick or whether you trade down, it doesn’t change what you have to do and that’s make good decisions in the draft. We mentioned Louis Delmas before; there’s not many players in the draft last year that right now we would trade Louis Delmas for and he was a top pick of the second round. There are blue chip players available in a lot of different spots in the draft.

“We drafted a starting linebacker in the middle of the third last year in DeAndre Levy from Wisconsin. So, whether you trade down and get more picks (or) whether you move up, it’s more about identifying the players and getting the players to fit what you do, rather than getting more picks and things like that. More picks aren’t useful if you don’t use them wisely.”

When it comes to using those picks wisely, Schwartz has an advantage over many head coaches in that he has a scouting background.

Schwartz: “I think every coach is focused on winning on Sunday and that’s about as far as you look ahead. You want to do everything you can to win that game and coaches, for the most part, don’t look long-term. Our goal every week should be to win that game, but there’s also a lot of other things that you need to manage.”

Because of his scouting perspective, Schwartz tends to base his decisions beyond the immediate or upcoming season and instead look toward the development of young players and the team as a whole.

Schwartz: “(You are) making sure that your team is going to be good next year and the year after and things like that because not every decision in this league is short term, so I think that background definitely helped in that. I’m not a very patient guy, but it gives me perspective, it gives me that appreciation for that perspective when it comes to building a team.”

34 Responses to “Could Detroit trade the No. 2 pick?”

1. By JustinL on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

Lions trade out of this pick because of the financial situation they have put themselves in. Stafford and JOhnson both have monster contracts. dont think the lion scan have 3 contracts that big in a losing season! if were contending fine. Trader back for 2 or 3 picks

2. By Rene on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

i think its great that the organization is opened to anything bcus they might see a better fit for the team in someone else. i think its a great idea to keep an opened mind on that. a 2nd overall pick is a good trading tool. besides if they dont , they still have that pick! Go LIONS!

3. By brent on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

Schwartz and his Gm both like to keep everything and their decisions close to their chest. I think we will end up picking up either Suh or McCoy depending on the first pick, but Schwartz is going to test every possible option to get the best players for the team. This talk about playin the whole thing out is logical, but with a desperate need for a solid DT that can both stop the run and put pressure on the QB, and that can relieve the constant pressure on the secondary, id be surprised if we passed up on one of the two best players in the draft. I remember watching games this year where the opposing QBs would just stand in the pocket all day just waiting for someone to get open. Its inevitable that a receivers gonna get open. Unless some team is able to give up a playmaker on the DLine and also a top 15 pick, or a top 10 and 20 pick, I think we’ll end up picking up the best DT available at no. 2.

4. By Lance Manly on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

It is obvious that you will explore trade offers; why not? Suh has had two knee surgeries on both knees; two years ago, still plays great… for now. One more surgery and he may just be a good player. Lot of money for just an average Joe.

I’d rather have McCoy and two good knees than Suh; but for me… rather get that Pro Bowl Left Tackle to protect Stafford; Okung would be my choice. This year would immediately compete for either Cherilus’s or Backus’s job… put preasure on both of them. Eventually going to need a replacement for Backus; and Cherilus hasn’t cemented his position after two seasons.

As far as a trade down; sure that would be great, good players at more reasonable pricing, but that’s the problem… I doubt anyone will trade up to any of the top four positions… the cursed top four mega-millions where it is hard to get value for the dollar.

Go Lions.

5. By Motorcity Lions addict on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

This draft is heavy, excuse the pun, with defense lineman. I love McCoy over Suh primarily because he is more explosive and disruptive and Suh’s knee issues.

I think Stafford is the most talented QB in the past 50 years, so if they wise up and grab a stud LT and Center to protect Matthew that would be a great move.

I also hope they make some moves next week and grab a couple stud linemen on both sides of the line. I would also start talking to the Raiders for their CB, sorry can’t remember his name, for Calvin and their 1st round pick. Or whatever works.

Then we can go into the draft with a couple more holes filled with superior starters and make some moves on draft day that will get us more than two picks in the first two rounds, since this years draft is so loaded with talent.

Let go LIONS!

6. By Don on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

Yes I would be fine if we Traded down I would be fine with that .
    I really believe that there is enough depth in this draft to get some awesome players.
    On the DL or Offensive line or both.
    YES, Okung would be a great pickup or Vlad Decusse, Mike Iupattii, Trent Williams.
    and with DT and DE There is Suh, McCoy, Brandon Graham. I should have more names for you BUT, YOU know what I mean. there are enough good players in this Draft to come away with some Bluechip players for the Defence and Offence and strengthen both sides of the ball.
    Also we can if we find a way to trade down get some other Fine players at finesse positions also.
    WR, RB Safety,CB.
    SHOP TIL YOU DROP! KNOW EM ALL! AND GET THE RIGHT ONES!
    YOU GUY”S CAN DO IT ! GO GET’EM MAYHEW AND SCHWARTZ!
    lions!

7. By Cody on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

I think the lions should trade out of the 2 spot, we could pick up some Dline through Free agency, and they could get possibly 2 first round picks for that number 2 pick, and then they could pick up other positions that they need, maybe Seattle would trade us both their first round picks for it! then we could get CJ spiller, and attempt to run the Wildcat, and with the second go after a DB like Taylor mays or get that offensive lineman that we need! i would love to see it work out like that, but that is just an opinion!

8. By Mike on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

The rams are generating buzz with the “idea” of taking a QB. I don’t think it will happen, but should it really happen…there would be great demand at the #2 spot as teams sitting at 5-8 have a legit shot at landing Suh or McCoy. I agree with you 100% Lance, LT is a need and we can fill that by taking Okung and picks by trading down. Let Backus compete at RT or even inside at the Guard position.

9. By Anthony on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

Heck No!!!!!!! Detroit Needs Great Players….It Seems Every Year This Franchise Thinks Of Stooopid Scenarios…Keep Your Draft Picks…….We Only Won 2 Games….Draft Suh or McCoy and Lets Go……….

10. By dlions23 on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

We need suh. we went 7 and 9 when we had a d line and lead league in take aways

11. By Ed on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

Hey the Lions need a quick fix with proven players. Chargers have no RBs left. They need a high pick to get the best RB (Spiller) in the Draft. They are also shopping CB Cromartie. Why not work something out with the Chargers for Cromartie by trading down their #2 pick for the Chargers #28 pick. The Lions will have to give up a #3 or #4 also. If they need a QB Charlie Whithurst could be included in some deal.

12. By Lance Manly on Mar 3, 2010 | Reply

I understand the desire to draft a franchise DT with a big name; and believe me that would be a great pickup. BUT…

…Backus is in his 10th year, either this year or next the Lions are going to need another LT. This year; they have the opportunity to take the BEST LT that will be around for a decade – let’s lock it up. Also; imagine Suh & McCoy go 1 – 2; that would make them the 2nd and 3rd HIGHEST paid DT’s in the League! That is ridiculous! That position doesn’t pay that well even for Pro Bowlers.

High paid positions? Well, QB and LT’s.

That is why Lions took a QB #1 and Rams took a LT #2 in ’09. This year; look for the exact opposite – Rams QB – Lions LT.

Rules for winners.

#1 – Get a franchise QB
    #2 – Protect your QB
    #3 – Get after opponents QB

Simple; build defense next year… at least if Stafford has time (and not beaten into submission like Harrington and Carr) then the Lions can score. Make it a “last one to score wins” scenario.

Remember; Drew Brees was putting up 4,000+ yard seasons and still not winning in playoffs until they finally got a defense last year. But, Drew was getting them to the playoffs and putting fans in the seats!

Go Lions!

13. By seth on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Dunta Robinson cb and pac man j cb and eric berry s mack them ether run or throw but out both so let win so game go lions !!!

14. By jake on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

once you’re with the lions you never have to worry about quality.

15. By dennis cook on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

i think the lions are headed in the right direction matthew stafford will be great been a lions fan 40 years restore the roar

16. By Kevin Gray on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Suh Suh Suh…….everyone say it with me now!!!!! I am excited about Nate, Kyle, and Corey joining the team. This staff is obviously focused on producing a competetive football team. The defensive line has been a problem for years…..the last time I remember having a dominating line was when Ellis and Porcher played (no offense to Shaun Rogers, but he didn’t play hard every down). Suh, Corey, and Kyle will definately change the pressure up front. The linebackers should be solid but we need big help in the secondary. Delmas looks very promising. I would like to see another offensive lineman, a couple corners, another quality rb added this year. We may be closer than we think to going .500. Sad…….but that would be a GREAT YEAR for Lions fans.

17. By BILLO313 on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

i read alot of good scenarios on this matter. i truly believe that whatever Shwartz decides will be the BEST POSSIBLE MOVE for the team. he brought in quality players last year and i highly believe that we will be in the running for a wildcard season!!! GO LIONS!!!

18. By Dino (georgia) on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

way too early to speculate.. there has to be a team that wants the pick… untill that happens.. the Lions are locked at #2… with all the great off season moves the 2 pick gets harder to forecast.. still leaning DT… but OL could be addressed with the improved DL….. Berry at S could also come to play

all we can do is wait and see… get excited

19. By Dino (georgia) on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Watch out NFC North!!!!!

20. By Joe Q. on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

I think the Lions are in a great position when it comes to trading the number 2 overall pick. Not only is the draft very deep and talented, it is deep in the areas the Lions need. If the trade down they will still be able to get talented defensive player and adress the running back issue. In the third round we can address the corner position and the rest of the draft devote to the offensive and defensive lines and add 1 more speed guy. With the free agents the Lions have aquired and the young talent they have developing right now (Stafford, Johnson, Delmas, Simms, A.Brown, Levy) a solid draft would be huge for the city of Detroit.

21. By Darin on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Detroit has to take the best player at #2 nobody will actually move up that high to get a player in this draft! You either take Suh or trade down get a Joe Haden or Two potential game changers. They cant screw up this is the year they can make a run at the playoffs if they can keep it together and pick up some keep pieces.. OT are great in this draft and RB. Both can be addressed or go after a Lendale White from the Titans he would be a perfect combination with Kevin Smith. Suh is the logical choice if you dont trade out of the #2 and I would be extremely disappointed in them taking McCoy I just dont think hes better. McCoy reminds me of Mario Williams gets drafted so high off combine and now you really dont hear about him. Mario williams they showed the same six clips about him but Suh has about 25 highlights I dont see the difficult choice here. Suh should be the close to the last KEY pieces on that defense next to a premiere corner!

22. By Ryan on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

We need to pick up one of these FA Runningbacks, “whats the hold up Mayhew?” were not gonna get the premiere back we desperately need in the draft in less its in the first or second round and that can’t happen when we need trenchwork, besides theres an abundance of backs in FA this year that can fill a starting role and go after a back in next years draft, mayby someone like Mark Ingram with the 7th overall pick the lions will likely have next year
    I would like to see Mayhew pickup 1 of these guys

Aaron Stecker RB UFA 5-10 213 11 Falcons Insiders Only
    Chester Taylor RB UFA 5-11 213 9 Vikings Bears Insiders Only
    Pierre Thomas RB RFA 5-11 215 4 Saints Insiders Only
    LaDainian Tomlinson RB Released 5-10 221 10 Chargers NY Jets Insiders Only
    Brian Westbrook RB Released 5-10 203 9 Eagles Insiders Only

23. By jason on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

I think the lions should draft players that fit thier way of playing they have made some good moves already and that’s all good. If any thing they have already beefed up d-line, get a running back smith is good but knee and shoulder issues also kevin is in his last year of his contract get stfford some protection and beef up on a few ots and def. remember when the lions had barry sanders or when the lions went 6-2 then slid after meeting the giants also the lions are going to play some tough teams this year i have alot of faith in Jim S. better then rod or millin will ever be lions rule.

24. By jason on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

I’m from Maine anyway barry sanders is still the man

25. By mike on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

we already got a key pickup in kyle vandenbosch so now protect matthew stafford and get a o-line

26. By BlueLionsfan on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

I would not mind that the Lions trade down to get 2 first picks. Maybe they can trade with San Francisco. I believe you should always get the best talent available, however where the Lions are in the Talent pool they should get 2 players that will fit in and have the talent to start right away. The offense and defense needs to improve their lines. A quick RB is needed and another reciever (scary) and some defensive backs. Really all postions can be improved with either a new starter or for depth. I just hope they make wise decisions. Adding more draft picks and using them wislely could get us to the promised land.

27. By keith robinson on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

the lions should trade to get Brandon Graham (DE-Michigan)

28. By BRENT on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

Get ERIC BERRY BCUZ THEN WE WILL HAVE THE STRONGEST SAFTY CORE IN THE NFL AND CAN GET OLINE NEXT YEAR THERE ARE SOME GOOD PROSPECT AND DONT TRADE CALVIN YOUR NUTS GO LIONS!!!!

29. By Dalles on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Rams take bradford at number one 1.which leaves schwartz and mayhew holding all the chips.schwarts has said it repeatedly:you get the BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE.clearly suh or mccoy are better than okung.clearly the lions ranked last in defense last year.clearly in my opinion they draft suh or mccoy.personaly i think they take mccoy.suh’s knees are too iffy.They’ve geared up so far by getting wiiliams and bosch at the outside.leaves tackle open for mccoy to fill in and boom the lions are gonna make QB’S cry! love the choices so far this year. go lions!

30. By John Webb on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

I’m gonna be straight up I’m a Cowboys fan(And trust me I’m not too pleased with the cowboys) but I’m gonna make a prediction for you Lions fans. I believe this season coming up with be a really good year for the Lions. I’ve been following the Lions this off-season and I’m really impressed with the players they’ve required. More than any thing, this defense got the most improvement with Vaden Bosch, and Houston to add on with the already talented players on their defense. No more 2-14 this season. Lions go 8-8 barely missing the playoffs and then its up-hill from there. Good Luck Lions!

31. By Maverick on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

I’m with billo313, I believe in Jim Schwartz, and his staff. They will make the best decision when the time comes. You can speculate all you want “and some of the scenarios were awesome” I think this season is going to be exciting. And I hope the rumors about PAC MAN Jones are true he would make the secondary strong. I’ve been a fan all my life and have been through the up’s and downs with this team. It shows that they are trying to put a contender on the field every Sunday! GO LIONS

32. By HitstickDelmas26 on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

Barry Sanders is the man! All you guys who think we need to take Suh, I would like you to reconsider… This draft is deep, especially with DT’s, but I’m not sure we need one early on! I hope the Rams pass on Bradford so our pick becomes extremely valuable to teams looking for a QB. We could go down a couple spots to the seahawks, and get there other first rounder, or a second rounder. We could really use another draft pick in the first or second, that would be a dream come true! We could still get a guy like Eric Berry with the fourth pick and have the baddest safety tandem in the league! Since the draft is so deep this year, We will have two more picks with guys that have first round talent. Pick up Kyle Wilson, or Devin McCourty with 34, whoever is left. Even Patrick Robinson, those three CB’s all have first round talent. Then take a Brandon Graham or best OT/DT left with our other first or second round pick with the trade! Then, with the third round pick, take the best RB avaliable, or another O lineman, we need a guard…We can find a good RB in the fourth. I would love to trade our pick to add another starter for us. Let me know what you think…

33. By Rick Mohr on Apr 4, 2010 | Reply

Now that the Lions are FINALLY showing some leadership, I hope they dont screw this years draft up ! As of today there are still some very good free agents out there. Notabaly 1- Flozell Adams ot ; Pacman Jones cb ; etc.
    They should NOT trade down but take Suh dt from Nebraska. Seldom does a player like his potential come along !

34. By Detroit Lions #1 on May 3, 2012 | Reply

How disastrous would THAT have been??? WOW, scary to even think about!