Schwartz says Lions are Open to all Positions at No. 2

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on February 25, 2010 – 6:11 pm

After all was said and done with the 2009 college football season and bowl games, two of the top players in just about every top-10 draft list were Nebraska defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh and Oklahoma defensive tackle Gerald McCoy.

Head Coach Jim Schwartz was asked about those two players on Thursday at the NFL Scouting Combine. It was proposed that, regardless of which player St. Louis selects at No. 1, the Lions would at least be sure to get a quality defensive tackle at No. 2.

Though Schwartz agreed that Detroit would, in fact, get a quality player, he doesn’t want to stop at the defensive tackle position.

Schwartz: “(Let’s not say), ‘We have to take a defensive tackle or we have to take (a specific) position.’ Last year at this time were saying sort of the same kind of thing. ‘Hey look, we’re not saying that we’re definitely drafting a quarterback. Let’s let the whole thing play out – let’s get the best player. If that happens to be a quarterback then that’s good.’

“We could probably say the same thing with defensive tackle. Let’s not make our mind up right now, let’s let everything play out. Let’s let all the information be brought, let’s make a good decision on that. But regardless, we need to find a good player for us at that spot.”

Tags: ,

28 Responses to “Schwartz says Lions are Open to all Positions at No. 2”

1. By Dwayne on Feb 25, 2010 | Reply

I will be real happy if yall get that guy from nabraska…….that would be lovely.

2. By damon on Feb 25, 2010 | Reply

I think schwartz is starting to sound like matt millen. everyone knows you need weapons on your team to be a competitor. not all cherry pops on the team.

3. By Rene on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

I for one trust that Schwartz knows what he is doing and trust in his philosohpy! Go Lions!

4. By Lance Manly on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

Matt Millen? Please get a grip.

Schwartz drafted 10 players last season; all ten played in the NFL at least in one game last season. All ten; still in the NFL. Matt’s record thru ’06 – only one player; Sims, still on the team. Not even close. Schwartz would have to have an “0-fer” (zero keepers) this season to even deserve mentioning the “Mil-villan” name calling. Personally, Schwartz has done a darn good job to this point. My choices for #2 at this point Okung (LT), McCoy (DT), Trade down for 2 or 3 picks, then Suh… but, what do I know. Let’s watch and learn, then play backseat driver. May The Schwartz Be With You.

5. By Motorcity Lions addict on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

Last year was the first year in too many to remember when our Lions actually got it right. Yeah! Now we need to build on that with as much new talent as possible.
    I hope they use the first pick for a lineman, preferably the D-line or a LT or Center.
    IF the Rams take a QB, then the offers will roll in and if we can still get a top 10 pick along with an additional second rounder, then do it!
    I also would like the Lions to accept the reality the Calvin is a luxury we cannot afford at this time. How about Calvin and Peterson to Seattle for both of their first round picks or whatever team for two or three 1st-2nd round picks. Then we will have 3-5 picks in the first two rounds; all of whom will be starters for the Lions.
    Remember DL, OL, CB, LB then look for a RB and WR-PR. What do you think?

6. By Don on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

Lance Manly, I TOTALY AGREE!
    These People in this city? What are they Looking at Listening to when they make comments like the one posted first about this issue.
    THIS coach if Given a true chance and with this TEAM WILL get this team to a superBowl someday I believe. However it might take 3 to 4 years.
    then again we might be in the playoffs next year who knows?
    But, Schwartz is the coach that can get it done.
    The problem with this city and this TEAM is usually they allow the coach 3 years and if it isn’t done in that time then he must hit the skids!
    There is the problem right there. then they go and get another coach and start all over again and then it never happens.
    We have a GREAT COACH we need to stick with him until he gets the job done.And he will get it done.
    I’m so tired of listening to these crybabies whine and whine when the job doesn’t get done when they think it should be.
    Let the Man finish the JOB and you might WIN a SUPERBOWL someday.
    LIONS!

7. By Don on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

OH, and as far as weather or not the LIONS will take one of the DT or not I do not know?
    Maybe you will trade up and try to get more picks. If the picks are for this year then it would be good.
    Taking picks that come next year or the year after doesn’t really help in the Long run because by that time everything could be differant than they are now.
    Which with this TEAM has been the case plenty of times.
    If you can move back and get picks that count now then good and if we can get a deal to go back BUT not to 23 or something.
    If you can go back a few picks and pick up a few more picks in low rounds then go for it. If your just getting a bunch of 7th rounders then forget it. If your getting some 2nd 3rd and 4th rounders then your making progress. If not then take the Man at the 2nd pick of the first round!
    I love this time of year.
    and I believe that after I have been checking them out that if we can get Suh then take him.
    If not then McCoy is really going to help us out if you take him.
    If you trade down I am believing that you guys have done your homework and know what and hwy you are doing what your doing.
    LIONS!

8. By TuteLionHeart on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

Hey guys, i’m an old lions fan from Argentina, yea, just in the but of the world. Nobody likes football over here but i just love it. Anyway it makes very dificult to me to get good information about the lions. Would anybody tell me wich players are undiscuss starters for next season and witch positions are we needing the most?
    Thank you, and go lions!

9. By Jackson on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

Let’s get a defense before we start talking super bowl. Ok guys? There is nothing aside from an exciting QB that we have to be very excited about. Kevin Smith falls down every time anybody so much as touches him, our O line is terrible, Calvin hasn’t proven to be a true super star yet and the defense is the worst I have ever seen in my life. This team will NEVER win a super bowl, there is still a lot of work to do.

10. By Jordan on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

detriot needs to get suh or mccoy then we will see but trading down hell no take the best there is a reason for having the no 2 pick we need badass people!

11. By MICHAEL VICARI on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

IM WITH YOU DON AND COACH WHY WOULD YOU NOT TAKE THE BEST PLAYERS ,IM 50 YEARS OLD, AND FOR THE FIRST TIME IN A LONG TIME I THINK THIS COACH,WILL TAKE US WERE WE HAVE NOT BEEN ,PEOPLE WANT CHANGE OVER NITE . WELL WE ARE LIONS DIE HARD FANS, AND IT WILL NOT HAPPEN,lets give credit to are coach,WE HAD A VERY GOOD DRAFT LAST YEAR, WE LIONS FANS HAVE WAITED THIS LONG, LET DO IT RIGHT .GO COACH JIM SCHWARTZ, FINISH THE JOB

12. By Sergio on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

I love Schwartz as the HC. He has been the man so far. I hope he keeps his badass picks up! Get Suh or McCoy they will be an instant impact on our D then maybe a WR in the 2nd pick give our man Stafford Some Weapons! like they did with Manning they drafted him then got E.James, R. Wayne and D. Clark they already had Harrison just think of the war machine were going to have in the next couple of yrs! Cant Wait for all us loyal Lions fans to shut the other teams up! GO LIONS!

13. By Don on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

Before just jumping out there and taking a DT.
    I would hope that this organization would please take a LONG,LONG look at Okung The Left OT.
    This guy would be a force on this line for a long long time.
    Even if Jeff Backus is good at the tackle position I believe that in time this kid will be better.
    I do not understand how things can change soooo much from year to year.
    Last year everyone either wanted a LBer or an OT and some things changed with the LBer unit But, Not much with the OL and yet noone even seems to remember that we NEED a lot to fix this O-line.
    And there are more DTs in this draft to choose from than there are OT or OGs.
    Well I am sure that Mayhew and Schwartz will make the right picks at the right time.
    LIONS!

14. By Josh on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

Die hard Lions fan first off…. Matt Millen… seriously? Worst GM of all time. Hands down.

#2 pick best player available. Hill starts and he was not drafted in the first round. What about Berry? 2 good safeties could help hide our corners, a DT will not. I will be happy with 1 of 4 players. in no peticular order….
    Berry
    McCoy
    Okung
    Suh

Lets be honest Jeff Backus is an above average LT and nothing more. He isn’t the worst in the league either.

The thing that stuck out the most to me this year was watching the secondary get torched on a regular basis. We need defensive help. Our Lbs are better than our corners. Without Delmas our safeties are not that strong either talented speed would be a wonderful thing! Go Lions!!!!!

15. By Sergio on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

Yeah I think we need a DT more then an OT I mean last yr we could put points on the board but we could not stop anyone!! I mean a shoot out with the browns, if we had some kind of beast on the DT or Secondary that would have not been the game it was we would have owned. I mean thats my point of view We can score but we lose more games not being able stop anyone rather then it being cause of our Offense

16. By Anthony on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

1st – McCoy
    2nd – Brandon Graham or Carlos Dunlap
    3rd – Dexter McCluster or Joe McKnight
    4th – Offensive Guard or Tackle

17. By todd on Feb 28, 2010 | Reply

die hard d lions fan says playoffs next year

18. By Cody on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

we need to trade our no. 2 pick draft 2 decent players that will help us in the long run and we need to sign peppers and get LT for 3rd down plays

19. By settlemyre on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

The lions need help on both sides of the line. We have got to get some pass rush from the defensive line.

20. By kevin on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS C.J.SPILLER!!!!!! 1/2 OF HIS TD’S WERE FOR 50+ GUESS HE’S FAST ? LOL THEN TAKE A LATE ROUND DEF TAKLE!

21. By kevin on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

OH YEA TRADE DENNIS NORTHCUTT A.S.A.P.!!!!

22. By Lance Manly on Mar 3, 2010 | Reply

After the combine; Okung looks even stronger for the #2 position. He bench 38 times; second and best among the top five LT’s on the draft boards. The guy can alternate with Backus this year; keep em both fresh.

McCoy, my pick for DT because of no surgeries, only bench 22 times. That is weak for D-linemen and shows he wasn’t a weight room junkie… slight red flag. Still my choice if we “HAVE TO” pick a DT; but second to Okung.

Suh, an impressive 38 in bench is good, but it is not his upper body that concerns me; it is his two surgeris – one on each knee that is his weak link. He is still my forth choice; third is to trade down for a LT plus a pick or two.

Why is Payton Manning so good?

Check out the film – the guy is never touched. Not even after throwing the ball. Let’s protect our franchise QB – they don’t come along that often… last one was 51 years ago; a guy named Bobby Lane.

Go Lions.

23. By HitstickDelmas26 on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

First off, I don’t like it when everyone says draft DT with the 2nd pick. If you have not noticed, this is the deepest DT draft class in the history of the NFL draft! I am a DIEHARD Lions fan and I beleive you do have to win in the trenches to be successfull. Trade down a couple picks and get the best player in the draft, Eric Berry! With the second pick, take the best DT available, someone will slip if not a couple! Then take the best player available with the third with CB McCourty or best RB. We will probably get another 3rd rounder with the trade, get another guy that can start, a RE or Best lineman on the board. We are not far away from being an elite team, there are 10 DT’s in this draft that have a 1st round grade, if we must take a DT, please take Suh! McCoy is not worth a #2 pick!

24. By HitstickDelmas26 on Mar 10, 2010 | Reply

Oh, I forgot, I agree with all of the Schwartz fans, get off his back! He knows his stuff and is the right man for the job! I love his intesity and demeanor, and with a great 09 draft, I hope it follows with a better 10 draft! GO LIONS!

25. By Michael Riley on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Other than Lance Manly, and DON, the rest of you don’t know what the hell you’re talking about! The life expectancy of the average NFL player on one team is less than 5 years! I have been a DIE HARD LIONS fan for a long long time! Since 1970 to be exact. Finally, FINALLY the lions are building a defensive line not seen since the days of Al” Bubba” Baker, Luther Ellis, and Doug English (Late 70s-Early, mid 80s) so NO you DON’T trade your number 2 pick, if the Rams go after one of the 3 QBs available, then you go after Suh! Surgeries or not, he is the first FIVE TOOL DT to come out of the draft in a long long time! You DON’T PASS UP ON A GUY LIKE THAT! Gettin him would add a good mix of youth and experience to the Def. line, and make a decent defensive line now, into a dominant force in the entire NFL, not to mention taking some pressure off of our CBs! So no, we donot trade down, not even for other players. We fix the defense this year, work on the offensive line next year (If there is a next year, thanks to the impending strike) Also why can’t we go after an OL with our 2nd pick? Finally to the olf (MCLIONSFAN) who said, “Calvin is a luxary we can’t afford right now” and “Trade him and Pedersen to Seattle” What planet are you from? You’re not much of a Lions fan are you, you just thought you should get on here and say something to feel important right???? First off, Pedersen is from SEATTLE whom we recieved in a trade!!! 2) YOU DON’T TRADE Calvin Johnson, heir apparent to Randy Moss, and one of the PREMIERE WIDE RECIEVERS in the NFL!!!! What we are looking at, is the organization after so many long agonizing years, is finally going in the right direction, hopefully they’ll stay the course, and not screw it up. Schultze is the right coach, and we all need to be patient….my parting shot: Thank GOD some of you aren’t in charge of this organization…..We’d still be expecting our first “W”…..Trade Calvin Johnson….What a nimrod!!!!

26. By john on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

you want su… straight from the husker nation.

27. By Jason on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

I have waited for this moment all my life…for the Lions to get to the Super Bowl & win! I know for a fact that they will soon if not this year win & go undefeated! let me tell you why & how. Why: For the past 50 some years this team has been the butt of the NFL continuously laughed at & humiliated over & over & in 2008 lose every single last game, & you can’t be any worse than that, so the only thing to do is get better & win. (Remember how bad the Patriots use to lose! They got that one piece to there puzzle & built around him! Doesn’t that sound like what the Lions are doing?) How: When the Lions do go to the Super Bowl (with Calvin) they will have won all their games if not only losing one, because over a fifty year span they’ve become professional losers who are loved by there die hard fans. Now if they were losers with no die hard fans then there dead, sale the team & move on, but with die hard fans (and a owner who’s never going to sale) in do time & season eventually get what they want. Now is that time & season! If you want something you never had you have to do something you never did & with the Lions past moves & changes recently there doing just that. When losing every game one day your going to want to win every game! The Lions play in many Super Bowl games cause every team they was up against played them hard cause nobody wants to lose to a losing team. So Lions with all that losing you have nothing to lose, but the right to win

28. By dp10 on May 16, 2010 | Reply

suh is coooooooooooooool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he rocks but hes a rookie