Wade Looking Forward to Opportunity in Detroit

Posted by Tara Altman on March 10, 2010 – 9:32 pm

On March 10, the Lions announced the signing of free agent cornerback Jonathan Wade, who spent the previous three seasons of his career with the St. Louis Rams where he was drafted in third round (84th overall) of the 2007 NFL Draft.

For Wade, Detroit offers a fresh start and an exciting opportunity.

Wade on signing with Detroit: “A great opportunity was here. I felt very comfortable with the coaching staff after meeting with them Monday morning. The vibe I was searching for was definitely present.

“A vibe of honestly; (their) only purpose is to win games, to find a way to win games and (they) want people who firmly believe that they’re going to turn everything around and start winning games.”

Over the span of 47 career games, including six starts, Wade has recorded 47 tackles (42 solo), 2 interceptions, 7 pass defenses and 23 special teams tackles.

As a player who can contribute on both defense and special teams, Wade is looking to make an impact in any area that he can – but is aiming for a starting spot.

Wade: “I’m coming here to fight for a starting position, no matter what. I’m not coming here just trying to make the team. At the end of the day, you do what you are; you want to make the team, you want to have a job at the end of the day. But beyond that, I want to start on this team; I want to be a part of this team turning it around and going to the Super Bowl. I want to be a very strong part of that.”

On his visit, Wade got a good feel for the Lions’ defensive philosophy from defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham – and that got him excited to be a part of it.

Wade: “I guess everybody that plays defense wants a hard-nosed defense. But at the same time, they like animals; someone who’s going to go out there and just become an animal. After talking to Coach Gunther, I really get the sense that he’s a very exciting coach and he really got my blood flowing. I felt a good sense of honesty because he bleeds honesty and I felt that looking into his eyes and listening to him speak – I felt that he’s going to find a way to win, and not just win, he’s going to find a way to dominate and destroy. All of that is how I think.”

12 Responses to “Wade Looking Forward to Opportunity in Detroit”

1. By Lance Manly on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Super Bowl?… I like the way you think!

All joking aside, Schwartz has put together two 2007 CB’s taken in the 2nd & 3rd rounds; which is good. Young, Talented and Speedy… yes, I am talking about Lion’s CB’s. Add a rookie and we have the secondary of the future… cross you fingers.

Now for some fun; I am predicting Lion’s playing three times next year in the new Dallas Cowboy stadium… second for the NFC Conference Championship… Hopefully, we go 3-0, but I’d be satisfied with 1-2 as long as the Lion’s win the last two!

Go LIons!

2. By Michael Riley on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Wade, first of all, welcome to Detroit! For the first time in years, I am really truly excited! Now I’ve been a DIE HARD LIONS FAN since I saw my first game in 1970. a 5-0 loss to Dallas in the playoffs. Other than 1990 Lions fans haven’t had much to cheer about, oh don’t get me wrong, we have had some outstanding player, Chris Spielman, Bary Sanders, Kevin Porche, Herman Moore, and Bennie Blades to name a few, but make no mistake The Lions have been absolutely horrible…….Now, FINALLY, FINALLY! We have a Quarterback of the future, a Defensive line being put together, the likes of which Detroit fans haven’t seen since the days of Al “Bubba” Baker, and Doug English. (Late 70s-mid 80s) now the lions are finally getting corners to help out our “Superman” Safety, Louis Delmas. I am geared up, I’m excited, and the guys on the offensive side of the ball, should be too. Now they don’t have to go out and play catch up, from the word “Jet”. Sure We in Detroit yearn for a championship, the Seahawks, Cardinals, and Saints have made it to the promise land, and If Schultze and crew continue to go forward, and continue in the right direction, then yes, I whole heartedly believe the Lions can be REAL Contenders for the championship. I think we are still a year or 2, from that, as it takes any team time to gel, especially when there is an influx of new people added. However, I believe an 8-8, or 9-7 season this year certainly isn’t out of the realm of possibility. Either way it’s been a long time coming to us REAL Lions fans who have agonized over one excrutiating horrendous season after another….More so for me, as I moved from Downriver, Michigan, to Central Ohio, Right smack dab in the middle of Cleveland Browns/Pittsburg Steeler Country….Yet Every Sunday I wear my honolulu Blue and Silver, this year, I think It will be different, in the fact, that I will be able to hold my head high, and still wear that same Honolulu Blue and silver proudly! Good luck to you Wade, as well as the rest of the Lions…May God be with you all, and may he finally shine down on the Lions and give us a championship the organization, City, State so richly deserves.!!!!!!

3. By keith on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

that doesn’t make any sense. the cowboys aren’t in our division so we would only play them once in the regular season. so the most we would play there is twice.

4. By seth on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

why is Larry foot out come back to the lion we are git better but out bring back foot is gay as hell he is a in packed player who’s go to fill that spot with the same ferocity as foot come on . and bring in PAC man j and Kevin Jones he can still play i was hoping to git Larry johnson and how come we didn’t mack more move ?

5. By adam on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

mayhew, swartz and coaches great job so far this offseason. all the moves made have been really great, all of them. wade sounds like another great fit and i hope he earns a starting spot. i know with his talent and attitude hes going to give anyone on the team now or in this coming draft a run for their money. speaking of the draft heres who i want…suh,iupati, vlad ducasse, and the best available corner. maybe trade up for a pick between 55-70 without giving up those top three picks! lions for life.

6. By BILLO313 on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

so far so good. im very pleased with the free agents that we acquired. im also very pleased with Shwartz. he will be the coach that takes us to bigger things!!! i only hope that we do as good in the draft as we did in free agency. we cant trade down. we have to take suh or mccoy if available. we need a running back. the o-line needs work. i believe if the draft goes well we can bang out a 9-7 10-6 season. and even thats pushing it. GO LIONS!!!

7. By The Chad on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

First off his name is Schwartz. I would really like to see consideration spent on Berry. The guy can play anywhere in the defensive backfield. If we need help in the secondary than maybe (Consider the Corey Williams trade) Suh and McCoy aren’t the way to go. Linehan has been preaching that Matt Stafford wouldnt have had as many hiccups if he would have stayed on his feet, enter “Big” Russell Okung another pick that would be better suited toward postitional value and draft value. To those of you who think Berry shouldn’t go #2 take a look at this years DPOY Charles Woodson, second overall pick. I also believe if Berry were to play Cornerback just some of the time, he would be worth the second overall pick. Im hoping to hear Berry’s name second, but wouldnt be too upset if I heard Russell Okung’s either. Larry Foote on the other hand was expendable. The proof was watching him on third down. With the emergence of rookie DeAndre Levy, who can actually move well in coverage. He could be depth, watch ARI though.

8. By Lance Manly on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Keith; FYI about the three times at new Dallas “Taj Mahal”…

1st – Regular Season Schedule
    2nd – NFC Championship Game
    3rd – Super Bowl

Makes perfect sense to me…

I would love a second “Catch” by Calvin Johnson to seal the win in NFC Championship from Stafford in last minute; but not necessary – Just win baby!

9. By Eric Paullus on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

I love that the front office has taken on a new attitude and seems to be determined to turn this franchise around.I live in Terre Haute, IN. and surrounded by Colts and Bears fans, that always take jabs at me during the NFL season.I think the coaching staff is the best we have had in many years and is trying to put together a product on the field that can win. If the players believe in them, which I think they do better days are coming to Motown.It is time for the Defense to get nasty, and the Offense to get exciting. I felt good about the off-season transactions, and think smart choices are upcoming in the draft.The bottom line is not how I feel or fellow fans feel, but how the Cats playing on sundays in the fall feel.Believe it gentlemen you are elite players now go fight the good fight!

10. By seth on Apr 10, 2010 | Reply

Barry Parkman Jones robinson

11. By seth on Apr 10, 2010 | Reply

two in draft and jones

12. By dan on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

keith, dont forget the superbowl is in dallas…..the little D