Fans to Choose 75 Most Valuable Picks of All Time

Posted by Tara Altman on March 23, 2010 – 7:23 pm

In celebration of the 75th NFL Draft, which begins on Thursday, April 22 at 7:30 pm ET, fans have the opportunity to vote on NFL.com to select the 75 Most Valuable Draft Picks of all time.

10 players from each team were selected by NFL.com editors to compile a list of 320 players from the first 74 drafts. For the Detroit Lions: Jerry Ball, Lem Barney, Lomas Brown, Jack Christiansen, Yale Larry, Alex Karras, Barry Sanders, Charlie Sanders, Joe Schmidt and Wayne H. Walker, have all made the cut.

Fans will begin the process of determining the Most Valuable Draft Pick by choosing between pairs of players randomly generated from the list of 320 greats. After selecting winners of 30 random matchups, fans will begin to build their own Top 10 list. Fans may continue to vote in order to make changes to their personal Top 10 list as well as the All-Time Top 10 announced at the Draft. Users then may share their lists and their head-to-head winners on Facebook.

The results of picks 11-75 will be announced from April 19-April 22 on NFL.com and NFL Network. The Top 10 greatest Draft picks will be revealed during the 2010 NFL Draft.

24 Responses to “Fans to Choose 75 Most Valuable Picks of All Time”

1. By Lance Manly on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

Barry Sanders; obviously should be top 20 if not top 10 ever.

This list is going to be stacked heavily by QB’s, WR’s, and HB’s – the name players. Also, I noticed; spend 3-4 hours voting, that it favors recent players over legends; 20yr + veterans.

In my experiments; Lem Barney came up for votes 11 times while Barry only came up 6 times. The “Lion” that came up the most was a guard Mutalio which was actually drafted by the Ravens; but pictured in Lion’s uniform.

The first couple days; you could “pass” on a vote; thus, not racking up votes for the other players – yesterday you could no longer pass on votes.

Still the voting process if heavily favoring certain players; Fitzgerald comes up often.

Hopefully, being a programmer myself, there is behind the scene logic… For instance if Barry slaughters his advisary 95%+ then he moves up to the “next” level, not having to compete on this level – or counts for 2-3 votes for instance.

That would explain why so many repeats of other players come up more often than Barry; you know – filling out the bottom of the roster. Other wise; Barry may not even make the cut – which if occurred; would render this list irrelavent.

Barry Sanders; best NFL running back ever.

Lance

P.S. Possible other’s to be consider only include “Sweetness”, Emmitt and Jim Brown.

2. By lionsden55 on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

i believe that if Jim Swartz keeps looking towards the future of the team , the long term benefits will be really something for us fans too loo forward too ! get that #1 pick for our defense , and find a running back that can carry the load ! we cant waist anymore time on players that just wont produce !

3. By lionsden55 on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

Barry Sanders is the top draft pick of all time , because we will never see another running back that can do what sanders did ! on and off the field , he was the best of the best ! when was the last time you seen the whole team prepare itself too stopping a running back , and that’s what teams had too do all of sanders career !

4. By BILLO313 on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

barry was untouchable. i think he should be in the top 5 on that list.

5. By Gordon on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

I think Barry is absolutly the best RB of alltime. My thought on others on the list would be Walter, Gayle, and Jim Brown. Emmet would not be on my list.

6. By blasphemite on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

tom brady was the most valuable draft pick because he is one of the best quarterbacks of all time, and quarterback is the most valuable position, and he was picked so low. thus his value was enormous.

7. By craig on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

you guys are getting this wrong… its NOT who the best player is, its who was the most valuable pick. If Tom Brady and Barry Sanders squared off on this list, I would pick Tom Brady every time since he was taken in the 6th round, where Barry was the 3rd pick??? overall. Brady was a steal in the 6th round! Joe montana was taken in the 3rd round… etc…

8. By Richard on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

Barry Sanders is the best running back ever in the NFL. He carried the Lions on his back for 10 years. The only running back to play for 10 years and go to the pro bowl 10 years. His stats don’t lie. He would be No. 1 on my list. On that not he should definetly be in the top 10. Along with Favre, Singletary, Montana, Elway, the fridge, Bettis, Rice, Marino, Archie Manning.

9. By LouisvilleLion2020 on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

I absolutly agree with Barry being in the top 5 of all-time but why hasn’t anyone mentioned Billy Sims!!Billy was the Lion King before Barry came on the scene. Thier numbers were similar to start thier careers. It’s just sad that Billy got hurt early in his career! Who knows, if he didn’t get hurt we might be talking about him! He played just short of 5 years and is still ranked in the top 50 runnin’ backs of all-time…..just somethin’ to think about!!!!!

10. By LouisvilleLion2020 on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

I can’t help it i love my Lions!!!!I get nothing but crap about it but oh well it will pay off one day!!!I HOPE!!!

11. By keith on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

tic toc tic toc… Everyday for the last two weeks I have woke up hoping lions managment has does something exiting, and obviously i keep being disapointed. There are all of these rumors and no action. It makes me think they arent going to do ANYTHING, which really wouldn’t supprise me but I just hate how the media builds the story up bigger than it really is. I just want something to be excited about is all. There are still a ton of free agents out there. go get em motor city kitties!

12. By Dalles on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Barry sanders top ten bare minimum. emmit never came close. he always ran up the middle where his monster offensive line fell on the defense.Barry sanders ran the left middle and right.and did it in half as many attempts as emmit smith.If smith shows ahead of sanders i’m not watching it.

13. By Lance Manly on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Keith, acutally, I am okay with the Lion’s not doing anything with free agents still on the wire.

An offensive lineman might be nice, but most would only add depth… same is true with most still on the market.

T.O.; yes – big mouth, might be good for a one year deal. He doesn’t talk too much when he knows he’ll be looking for a job at the end of the season. Three recievers; with Nate and Calvin, would make it virtually impossible to always double Calvin – and triple teams would be obsolete.

Only other guy is Pacman – no big hurry, another team jumps up and takes him – good. Saves us a few head aches; however, if he sits out there long enough he may agree to a contract with no up front bonus; a back-end bonus contingent on him playing all 16 games without “off field” issues. That way; if he messes up, drop him, even in training camp.

I am not in favor of trading our draft picks even for good players on other team’s rosters; if they are good they would charge us through the nose for them. Now if we can “steal” a good player – not likely, because the team with the player holds the cards.

What other player would you like?

Go Lion’s!

14. By Don on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Sorry this hasn’t got to do with the 75 most valuable picks of all time.
    However this does have to do with valuable picks For right now this year.
    And I am talking talented players.

John Conner Kentucky FB 5’11” 245 lbs.
    Best Blocking back in the SEC, Good pass catcher, Good special Teams player.
    They call him ” The Terminator” And his tailback says that when running behind him that he feels like he will never get touched when following behind him.

Cory Jackson Maryland FB 6’1″ 245 LBS.
    Excellent Blocker, solid pass catcher,Plays all four special teams units.
    There is a lot bigger write up on him from the senior bowl But, I can’t remember everything. However since you guy’s coached him you should know all about him. He is also supposed to be someone special.

Both or either of these two men could come in here and Make a large differance in our running game and with the protection of our QB right away.
    Both of them are very talented if that is what you are looking for is talent.
    If they are around at all in the Later rounds then they are definitley Talented players that should not be passed up.
    If you want to help with the running game and protect the QB then these are the men that can get that job done. And they are both Talented runners also.
    I like Jerome Felton, However he doesn’t seem to be getting the job done.
    Good FBs are very important on offence. As important as the tailback any day.
    They LEAD THE WAY.
    Both Men were in the Senior Bowl, One from the South and One from the North. (:
    LIONS!

15. By keith on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

I want them to go and get another RB with just as much skill as kev smith. You have to have two good backs in the nfl these days. Smith is good but he continually fails to break big gains. Par of that problem is that the run blocking isn’t good enough so i wouldn’t mind if we found a vet FB to aid in that and pass blocking. But we definatley need someone to spell smith that can get more than 1-2 yards a carry. better run game means better pass game.

16. By Lance Manly on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

Keith; good running back – I agree; but who?

There is no one out their in free agency that is good enough to throw money at. Westbrook (concussion) is/was good/great, but one more hit and he takes our bonus money as a retirement package. L.T. wanted a Super Bowl contender and Chester Taylor (my favorite) chose Chicago. The only guy out there is Fargas from the Raiders; and he is 30.

Don: I saw the footage on the “Terminator”; good film work, the guy delivers devastating “pancake” blocks, catches and runs with the ball. Don’t know how he can slip to the Lion’s; our needs in first two rounds are LT, D-Line and CB; so he would have to slip to at least the top of the third or forth.

Go Lions.

17. By HitstickDelmas26 on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

I like these FB’s, but you are crazy if you think we could even consider one at the top of the third! This draft is way too deep for that. Maybe with our fourth pick though, but that might be a reach! I like what you guys are saying about needing a good FB, but we have plenty of needs, and I beleive we need to draft a RB in the fourth.

18. By Don on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

The reason that your giving Lance is another reason why I feel that going out and getting a good FB is so important.
    Not only can he help in the protection of the QB BUT, He will also be able to help an average RB become a great RB by opening holes for the Tailback.
    When you have a FB that can open holes and lead the way giving the Tailback the opertunity to find his way through the line and up the field.
    John Riggins was this kind of back and the kind that could put some numbers up himself when given the chance.
    OUR coach that we have NOW that I can’t remember his name because of this mind of mine that can’t seem to remember Names or anything else for that matter. Anyways the coach that is coaching our guy’s right now was that kind of FB. Gash, is that it SAM GASH I believe. Anyways he was a great FB in his day that wasn’t that long ago.
    However these men do more for the blocking schemes than most people understand because they are the silent blocker. The ones that don’t get noticed BUT that are VERY important.
    In both the protection of the QB and the LEAD runner thru the hole. Or the decoy for the tailback.
    Anyways, The FB on any TEAM is very important and easily overlooked as to how important that he is.
    A good FB must take every aspect of his game as Very important.
    And it is a lot harder to find an ALL around FB than what you would think.
    Either you have one that is a good catcher out of the backfield and a good runner but doesn’t show up to block or vise versa. Good blocker and isn’t there to catch or run.
    In order to be trully effective he must be both or all three. Catcher,Runner and blocker. And that is a lot to have strait in your head. A lot of plays in your head.
    BUT,you Need a FB that can do it all.
    they are hard to find however there are two in this draft that fit that bill.
    And I for one hope that we get one of them.
    I also am wondering which way we are going to go in the draft.
    I know that skill players are hard to come by. Good RB and WR and the like CBs?
    BUT, this one time IF we are at NO. 2 and we don’t trade down. I hope that we take SUH if he is there.
    This time it is the pic that we should not pass up on.
    I understand if we trade up and get picks in the RDs 1 thru 4. We can get a lot of Talented players and a good DT still.And a good OT or Guard also.
    This draft is deeper than people think.
    There are good DTs that have anywhere from 14 to 16 sacks a season comming out in this draft. So we can get a good DT even if we pass on SUH.
    However if we don’t trade down and we are there SUH is who I would take.
    OH well, this is too much to take and so many ways to go and I’m glad that I’m not Mayhew in a way and on the other hand HOW much FUN it would be also.
    GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS, MAYHEW,SCHWARTZ,LEWAND, AND SCOUTS. AND THE FORD’S ALSO.
    i BELIEVE THAT IT IS ALL GOING TO TURN OUT GOOD!
    AND THIS SHOULD BE AN EXCITING YEAR FOR THIS TEAM
    GO LIONS!
    P.S. SORRY FOR THE LONG POST

19. By wayne on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

OKUNG! GET OKUNG! He’ll play ten or more years, and help protect Stafford.

20. By Kevin on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

I think with Kevin smith and Aaron brown we have speed.If Toby Gerhart is available later round pic him up.We need A power runner! He led the nation with 1,871 rushing yards and 28 rushing touchdowns He is big and hard to bring down.

21. By john on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

This was originally about the best Lions draft choices of all time. I don’t go back that far, but I know that there are some names that need to be included: besides Joe Schmidt (a GREAT middle linebacker, like none other we have ever had).,Alex Karras, Lem Barney, Barry Sanders, I’d add Lou Creekmur, Dick Stanfel, Darris McCord (what a defensive end), Harley Sewell, Charlie Ane, Billy Sims, Leon Hart, Jim Doran, Doak Walker, Les Bingeman, Jim Martin, Lou Carpenter, Chris Spielman (all heart!), Gail Cogdill, Jim Doran, Gerry Perry, Tommy Tracy, Jack Christiansen, Yale Lary (one R, please), Greg Landry. I’d of course also add Bobby Layne and Dick “Night Train” Lane, but we got them through trades.

22. By Dana on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

These are all great names….aren’t we forgeting Bennie Blades on Defense that played with Barry Snaders….

23. By matt on Apr 7, 2010 | Reply

I know it is the best pic and all. But I’m sorry, 8th rd. or 1st rd. Yes, we have not been the best over the yrs. But for the player/money, not that we have not had our share have super stars, cause we have. Some day maybe, someone might be close. Been yrs. since and no one comes close, no one. 1 in a billion. I get so pissed when I think we couldn’t surrond him with the extra talent to get it done. Unreal. 12th or 1st, Barry is all alone for sure. (Ask any of the players that played against him). Before or since, only #1 that has no one even close, on any team. What he did, with what he had, can’t touch that. And I remember most all the players in the comment before me but know of all of them. All great for sure. Only one Barry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. By dennis on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply