Detroit’s 2010 Draft Choices

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on March 29, 2010 – 3:10 pm

The Detroit Lions have seven draft choices for this year’s NFL Draft, acquiring one via trade and trading away three in player acquisitions.

Rd No. Ovr Notes
1 2 2
2 2 34
3 2 66
4 2 100
5 2 133
7 7 214 (From Cle)
7 48 255 (Compensatory)
Rd No. Ovr Notes
5 15 146 (From Denver; Traded to Cleveland)
6 2 171 Traded to Atlanta
7 2 210 Traded to Buffalo

97 Responses to “Detroit’s 2010 Draft Choices”

1. By Lance Manly on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

Good to see that we didn’t swap 5th’s with Atlanta for the CB.

Seven picks; plus I believe we get Caleb Campbell from the Army (the last Matt Millen pick). Schwartz got 100% on his first 10 picks (all played in at least one regular season game and all are still in the NFL) so I know his Mr. Irrellavent pick is going to be a good pick.

Looking forward; of course, to the draft.

Our top of the second round pick is worth more than last year’s 2nd round pick. All 32 teams are going to have a day to decide it is worth it to trade up to get our pick at #2.

Last year; after the 2nd round break; our top of the third became convented; and Jets gave us three picks for their rookie running back; a 3rd, 4th and 7th round pick used to get DeAndre Levy; Sammie Hill (two starters). Every team is going to have all night to decide if they want to give three picks for Detroit’s top of the second which is a round better than last year.

Also, same situation will occur on Saturday for the top of the 4th’s or “best of the rest” picks. Schwartz ought to work the phones and pick up 3 or 4 additional picks. This is a deep draft and picking a few selections back will be worth it.

Go Lions!

2. By David De Young on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

I was under the firm belief that the Lions would trade down a few spots and get an OT like Okung or Campbell to protect QB Stafford (and move Backus inside), but since Suh and McCoy had extensive visits to HQ last week, it looks like Lions will pick one of them. Maybe an OT in the second. So where do we get a RB (3rd round)?

3. By Robbie Ackley on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

I have a feeling this will be a really good draft for us Lions fans. You cant go wrong with Suh McCoy or Okung to stqart the draft for the Lions. GO LIONS.

4. By Marc Jarstfer on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

Its good to see the new managment continually putting the Lions in the right position to turn this thing around. With a second straight good draft the team will be headed in the right direction. Good work so far!

Go Lions

5. By Drew on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

Yeah we got a good draft set up and aquired 3 uprgraded players to our roster (QB Shaun Hill for 2011 7th round pick, DT Corey Williams & 2010 7th round pick for 2010 extra 5th round pick(from Broncos) and CB Chris Houston for 6th round pick) All excellent players for basically giving away picks that most of the time are considered to be weak talented players, i mean sometimes you get a decent player in the bottom rounds example S Marquand Manuel who was drafted in the 6th round in the 2002 draft, another example would be LB Zack Follett 7th round pick, who was drafted in the 2009 draft , eventually he could be a decent backup and a great special teams player. I also hope we resign S Ko Simpson who was another great trade, Simpson for a 2010 7th round pick! Simpsons a great safety when healthy and deserves to be on the active Lions roster for the 2010 season! Good Luck Lions!!

6. By Preston R. on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

Detroit holds the most powerful postion in the draft. When you look at the Lions offensive-line it’s obvious that they need help, but with the encouragement and praise from the Lions coaching staff Detroits LT Jeff Backus will continue to guard Matthew Stafford’s blind-side. Picking at the number two slot allows Detroit a lot of options that could involve a lot of trade possobility’s. I think there is a lot hype on DT Ndamukong Suh, though he is a great player DT Gerald McCoy is just as good in my eyes. A lot people have Detroit drafting LT Russel Okung or a DT, but with emergance of S Louis Delmas and the affect a saftey can have on the game I see the Lions going in a different route. You can always throw over the Dline but the saftey’s are always something an offense has to face head-on. Saftey’s allow more blitz packages, run support, and pass defense. A saftey would help a defense more then a defensive tackle. I believe coach Jim Swartz the former Titans defensive coach will have realized the importance of a secondary player with a 31st ranked pass defense if he has’nt done so already! He will have noticed how the Tennessee Titans 2009 season turned around after getting acouple of their dominate secondary players back. He will also recongize that the Titans defense turned it around and became just as dominate without DT Albert Haynesworth. I think the Detroit coaching staff will also look at how the Steelers loss of Troy Polamalu turned their defense from great to average and see the importance. Defensive Tackle is surely Detroit biggest need on defense, but Detroit drafted DT Sammie Lee-Hill in the 4th round in the 2009 draft and found a solid starter. It’s said Sammie Lee-Hill would have been a first or second round pick had he come from a larger school program, but he’s been solid reguardless. I think the example of Sammie Lee-Hill allows Detroit the acknowledgement to realize they can obtain a starting defensive tackle in later rounds. Detroit passing up Suh or McCoy or BOTH, only allows them more options to fill the defensive tackle need in later rounds with such a deep defensive tackle class in the 2010 draft.

Though we do need to imporve the Oline protection of Stafford so maybe Okung would be an answer killing two birds with one stone, moving Backus inside. Might spring the running game ahead also, killing 3 birds with one stone?

7. By rob on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

GO LIONS…..do what it takes and go get the game-changer named SUH! i’m really hoping the rams go QB(they need it.) the lions need defense BAD. if i had my way they would spend all their picks on defense to make them younger and hopefully stronger, but you guys just gotta get suh! mccoy is good and worth the pick, but only if suh is gone already….

8. By michael stoner on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

after martin mayhew got all those draft picks from dallas in williams trade ala (cool hand luke) i truely knew millen was gone.then last years draft and the quality of players they got i figure he is for real.leave the picks and the trades to mayhew and the future looks bright! should be an interesting season and i am sure a very good next couple of years coming our way.

9. By Kevin WIlson on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

Draft Suh he is the best player to come out in 25 years. You can get a ot in the second rd. we need suh he is the best player in this years draft.

10. By Jerome on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

Last year’s draft was the best the Lions have drafted in a very, very long time. They really did their homework and within 2-4 years they will have to work even harder–not having to draft in the top ten. Mayhew, Schwartz, & Co are building the team the right way. We were only a handful of plays from getting 5 or 6 wins last year.
    The off-season pick ups will pay big dividends this year and for the next few years.
    2010 Lions will finish no lower than 2nd in the division. Watch and see! Go Lions!!!

11. By Don on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

This TEAM is making me happier everytime that I start to think about it.
    And I am very proud to hear that they had a large turn out for the first Practice session. Or whatever you cal it. I hope that everyone on this TEAM stays devoted to this TEAM and turns it around NOW. And that can be done.
    I wont Make predictions. However, I can see this TEAM making a very large turn around this year.
    And there are a lot of talented players to be picked up and we allready have a lot of talented players left from last year also. And it will be great to see them all together on the second year together.
    And I am hoping that The new guy’s can come in and get the Plabook down and help out the guy’s that were here last year.
    I guess that I can put it this way. This is the Most excited that I have been about this team since 1991.
    And I hope that I get to go to some games and see it LIVE. And if not I hope that we sell out all the games because I believe that if people don’t go out and bye tickets this year that we are all going to miss some exciting FOOTBALL. The kind of FOOTBALL that we havent seen in a while.
    LIONS!

12. By craig on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

i have a feeling these picks will be shuffled around quite a bit… hopefully we can trade our #2 overall for some more picks! I heard a rumor that the niners might trade their 2 first rounders to move up to #2???? that would be awesome…
    If we keep #2, we’ll go with Okung… hopefully.

13. By jason on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

SO WHAT DO YOU GUESS THINK DO YOU THINK WE GO FOR SUH OR MOCOY OR SHOULD WE GO OFFENCE LINE I MEAN WE ARE BEEFING UP OUR DEFENCE LINE SO IF WE GET ANOTHER DT WE WILL HAVE A GREAT DEFENCE BUT THEN AGAIN WE HAVE NEEDS AT T OLINE AND A RUNNING BACK ALSO RUNWAY FROM THE EAGLES IS OUT THERE WHY DONT WE PICK THIS GUY UP HE A GOOD T WELL I KNOW THE FIRST TWO SHOULD BE A DT AND A TACKLE AND THEN A RUNNING BACK WHATEVER WE NEED ALL THREE

14. By Jim Phipps on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

I think this year maybe will be better i like our draft picks from last year i like the free agents they have brought in this year. Kyle Vanden Bosch is a great playmaker at DE, Nate Burleson will help out Calvin Johnson out alot because he’s another deep threat at WR, Chris Houston can defend really well at CB i don’t care what anyone says he’s good, Jonathan Wade will also provide good depth at CB as well, and the others will be good back ups as well Corey Williams will also add size at DT to help out Sammie Lee Hill, For this years draft it’s hard to say because there are so many good choices out there, I loved to see them take Nadumkong Suh or Gerald McCoy to add more size on the D-Line but at the same time they need to add depth at O-Line to help Stafford out which is why i think maybe Okung will fit in well because Backus is not the player he was back at UofM and i think it’s time for him to go. but overall they need more depth at the CB ans S positions.

15. By Upson Pratt on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

This will be a draft of the ages, due to the new draft format. I think it will cause alot trades at the start of each day. Martin Mayhew and Jim Schwartz (who has a background in scouting) know what they are doing and I know they will have another great draft this year! I think the pick of the year will be the running back Toby Gerhart who will get drafted sometime in the late third or early fourth round. The guy averaged 156 yards and 2.25 touchdowns a game. Impressive!

16. By Jerome on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

I am excited about the upcoming season also. I get excited every year, but this year is different. I’ll admit, I hoped that we would have drafted LB Curry instead of Stafford, but I’m glad I was wrong. We have a true franchise QB. I know it has only been one year, but you see the effort, the drive, the ability AND especially the guts and leadership Stafford has. The Lions will be more than respectable in the VERY near future. THE DETROIT LIONS WILL BE A FORCE!!!
    This draft will solidify the Lions foundation, and next year’s draft will take us over the top.
    Go Lions!!!

17. By Carl on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

I just can’t WAIT to see all the HATERS in the Toledo area zip their lip. It’s obvious that the Lions have stunk for a loooooong time so it’s easy to make a prediction that they will be bad again if history is any indication. However, the die hard fans like us that are half way intelligent can clearly see the difference in management and how they go about their buisness.They don’t sit around and hope they get better…instead they look like they’re putting a plan together that everyone believes in and then they just keep moving forward with players that fit that profile.ABOUT TIME…! Thank you Mr.Ford for hiring some winners.

18. By Richard on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

uhm i don’t want to burst anyones bubble but calling Stafford a franchise QB is a bit of a stretch….he threw i think it was 5 interceptions in one game last year….not exactly Peyton Manning.

the Lions will finish next season just like they do every season…..with a top 10 pick in next years draft

19. By Zach on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

I’ll be home on Draft day, watching our Picks :)

Go Lions

20. By Osh on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

I really like the direction the team is headed, but we definitely need to bolster that offensive line as well, we have a franchise quarterback for the future and we really need to protect him. Nationally people starting to change there tune about us, lets keep it up.

21. By Easily on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

I just hope the Lions pick Suh with the 2nd overall pick and get an OT in the second round. Suh can just reenergize our whole franchise and make fans interested in seeing one of the best DT’s to ever play college football play on the lions. He’s a phenom and his hype and potential remind me a lot of the hype and potential that came from the time of drafting calvin. Suh!

22. By Joe on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

I believe Suh is the better of the two. Okung is a beast, but OT & DT will go into the second round, i would rather see the lions trade down and take “the knock your head off Taylor Mays” gain maybe a extra second round pick or another first next year. we signed some average/good o-line this year, but none standout. but we did add dfence via FA. Thats why if we dont trade down i believe we’ll take okung. then the backus move to guard will be complete.

23. By wayne on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

I hope the Lions take the OT fron Oklahoma State(OKENG?). Stafford needs some protection. Sue and Mckoy are great players and all, but it seems that we already beefed up the defense with some great free agents. When I first heard that we drew the AFC east I thought OH NO! But we might do better than people think. The NFC east is another story. We got some tough games. If the Lions do well this year, they will gain some respect around the league. Maybe we’ll get a Monday night game next year. I love the fact that they are showing the draft later in the day, and on a Thursday. I get to watch it this year. GO LIONS!!!!!!

24. By Dustin on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

I think Suh is our best option for first round. It will help us get pressure to the QB and we are missing that right now. Other QB’s have all day to look for the open receiver.

25. By Lance Manly on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

Almost April…

The suspense is palpable… Suh or Okung.

I think McCoy is out of the running now that the Rams are basically guaranteed to pick Bradford… (although the Ram’s ignorance can not be under estimated… passed twice on Franchise QB’s third times a charm).

Suh:

Pro: I am getting warm fuzzies dream about one of the most dominate D-Lines since the Steel-Curtain. Vandenbosch and Suh would open holes for the other two lineman and create absolute havoc in the opponents backfield. Immediately making our average CB’s appear like all-pros because of no time for the QB – panic throws.

Con: Both knees already had surgeries. One more and we could potentially have purchased a $60 Million boat anchor.

Okung:

Pro: Getting an All-Pro Pro Bowl tackle is the best friend of a QB and running back. A year after acquiring or Franchise QB is ‘priceless’ – imagine having both players for a decade. The left side of our line would be immediately secured (Backus to LG) instead of a sieve with D-lineman pouring throw it. I would be eager to see how much more production Stafford would create with solid “Blind” side protection.

Con: Andre Smith. Remember him? He was on the short list of potential LT’s last year that the Lions were recommended to take instead of a QB. Hold out, broken foot and virtually no tangible production last year. He is one season from being deemed a “Bust”. Okung could; not likely, but could pan out the same way. Then not only did the Lion’s not solve their LT position, but we would have passed on potentially the best DT in two decades.

Yes, the suspense is palpable…

Glad I am not making the decision.

May the Schwartz Be With You! Go Lions!

26. By todd on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

one person everyone is slippin on is cj spillar

27. By TuteLionHeart on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

Okung as LT and Backus as LG. You have two picks from one. Sammie Hill-Corey Williams, those are our starting DT for a long time.

28. By Faithless Lions Fan on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

I will be home on draft day, just going to PRAY that we get Suh and then a left tackle later on in the draft..

29. By myron on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

I cant say enough about the commiment to getting better by mayhew and schwartz. i think these guys are building a real team the chris houston trade was great. this guy is going to succeed under gunther style of play. vandenbosch suh c. williams sammie lee hill OH BOI!!!!!!!! u have urself a hell of d line wit peterson sims levy holdin down the backer and delmas and lets say 2nd round pick TAYLOR MAYS in the secondary that can really be nice

30. By Matt on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

I am excited about this draft. I think the Lions should focus on Defense. We can”t stop anyone. The Lions are not talented enough to out score someone 50-48 every week. I know Matt Stafford is the franchise, and he needs a Left Tackle to protect him. If there is a stud Left Tackle out there who can start right away and, keep Matt on the field and not the injuried reserve list then pick him up. Howeveer our main concern should be Defense. I know we have picked up some players and I”m glad. However, I ‘m looking at a 4 or 5 win season at best. What do you think?

31. By Anthony on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

Ok. The King Of Lions Blogs Is Back. Detroit Should Pick Suh. If This years draft had a clear best OT like Joe Thomas a few years ago or Jake Long. Then i say get the OT. But This draft is deep and im not sold on Okung being the best tackle.
    Get Suh he is the best Defensive tackle out of college since Warren Sapp. Im tired of lion fans saying get Okung and Move Backus to the inside. If Okung is selected then the defense gets eaten alive again for another year. (Last Ranked Defense in the NFL last year by the way). Suh is just to good to pass up on seriously. I mean detroit has had no dominant line since the days of Robert Porcher. Drafting suh will make the defense get a 2 for 1 upgrade as well. The secondary will have help because of the pressure on the QB. Study football more Okung Selectors. Yall are Idiots. SUH SUH SUH SUH ROCK CITY DEFENSE…….

32. By brandon on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

Suh is our 1st pick then trade 2nd rd and 1 other pick to get in the 1st for a taklr or maybe wait one will likly slip to the 2nd and pickup a free agent back till next years draft

33. By Don on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

Yes we should take Suh and probably will if we do not trade down. Which if we do we can still get a real good DT in the draft.
    I am excited to hear that the LIONS brought in John Conner today to take a look at him. FB from Kentucky 5’11″ 245 LBS.
    The best blocker in the Draft. WE need a FB as much as a guard. And this guy is talented. I hope he is still there in the late RDs.
    If he is gone there is another very talented FB Cory Jackson out of Maryland 6’1″ 245 LBS. Both are great blockers and both can catch out of the backfield.
    And both are great Special Teams players also.It is a need However these guy’s are Talented at thier position.
    And if they are there in the late RDs they would be great pick ups for this TEAM. I wish I knew how the Meeting went. Because Conner is headed to Dallas after he leaves here. And I would love to get this guy. I am glad that there are two guys that are good at this position.
    And I know that we need a really good guard too! Or a OT.
    If we can get a great guard and a great fb this OL will be improved by a long shot. Blocking is the problem however it isn’t Backus that is missing all the tackles.sometimes it is the guard and sometimes it is the FB.
    Alot of people don’t think about the FB when it comes to blocking out D-fences.
    But,Those two positions on the left side are as important as the Left OT.
    LIONS!

34. By Benny Ricardo on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

Can’t wait for Draft Day!

35. By Brian Bouman on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

In order to win a football game you must control the line of scrimmage. Trading for Williams and Van Den Bosch helps us do just that on “D”. Now its time to do the same on “O”. I am JACKED for this season!!!

36. By Fred on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

the last ranked defense–again!! we can’t compete in our division,much less wth the rest of the league. Go get Hargrove and draft Suh and lets restore the roar!!
    we’ve made some good moves and I feel good moving into ’10 as long as we get our DEFENSE OFF THE BOTTOM OF THE PILE!!!!

37. By Clay on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Anthony has it exactly right Suh is the best pick for the lions. People from the”D” should want somebody who’s so dominent on the D Line. why not help the defense out so they can give the offense a more respectable way of playing instead of always playing catch up

38. By Jordan on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

we have to get suh rams are going to get bradford he killed it on his pro day after surgery. think about it you got vandenbosch,suh,williams,and cliff avril. that would be a front four everybody would like. in a perfect world our draft would be 1st suh 2nd sean weatherspoon unless he would be around third then okung but more than likely they wouldn’t be around but like i said a perfect world. but one thing is for sure we cant get suh the offensive line.

39. By Clay on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

If we get Suh we get other teams worried about our defense and how are they gonna manage us. Peppers,Allen,and Clay Matthews will still get to Stafford with Okung there. Okung vs Brandon Graham I believe Graham would get the best of him and Graham is gonna be a later 1st round pick. The point i’m trying to make is we dont need him as much as we need Suh

40. By Forrester on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

I would be happy if the draft went something like this.

1. DT Suh
    2. RB Johnathan Dwyer Georgia Tech
    RB Toby Gerhart Stanford
    3. OT Zane Beadles Utah
    OG/OT Mike Johnson Alabama
    4 CB Dominique Franks Oklahoma
    5 FB John Conner Kentucky

That would be my top 5 rounds. 2 and 3 both has two guys so maybe we can trade back pick up picks and still get who we want! If we miss out on Conner then in the 7th we could look at Manase Tonga from BYU. Add a WR and maybe a return man. I think it would be another good year!

41. By Lance Manly on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

I also like John Conner, but just not getting my hopes up. Our first two selections have to be D-Line, O-Line or CB; which means first opportunity for FB wouldn’t emerge till 3rd round. Not sure when FB’s start going off the board, but it is a long shot that the Lions will get him.

If it were up to me; I’d draft it one of two ways;

Build Defense First;

1: Suh
    2: Best Guard (unless a good tackle is on board)

Build Offense First;

1: Okung
    2: Best Corner back on the board

Pretty much don’t see it any other way.

However; last year I wanted Curry (LB) over Stafford…

I was wrong then… Curry may not even be as good as DeAndre Levy.

Tic toc tic toc… draft is coming!

Go Lions!

42. By zac on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

I think we should get suh the guy looks better then reggie white did coming out of college. maybe taking a WR in the 2nd round like tate if he is still there if not maybe draft a corner or safety if if wilson or robinson arent there maybe take S mays who should still be there and worry about the offensive line in the later rounds we need a MLB to fill in foots spot could even take spikes with the 2nd rouncpick maybe trade down a few spots and get another draft pick.

43. By wayne on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Hey Anthony, I agree that Sue is the best player in the draft. I guess we should take the best player instead of drafting a position. It’s a win win situation either way. I just feel like Stafford wouldn’t have seperated his shoulder if he had some protection. He won’t last if he keeps getting killed on the line. You can’t throw touchdowns on your back.
    But, if our defense can keep the other team off the field, than maybe we can win some games. I can’t wait for the draft! DO IT THIS YEAR LIONS!!!!!

44. By Sean on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Forget Suh, two bad wheels, missing an MCL or ACL in one knee for crying out loud. He is great, but only one play away from being a busted pick.

Draft:
    1. McCoy DL
    2. Iupati OG
    3. Best FB available

45. By Pissy on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Im so happy and very proud to be a longtime detroit lions fan..I”ve stuck with them when things were horrible,Nobnody knows my state like me..Detroit will be like the saints or the cardnals,even better..On defence we have a young safty are linebacking core is very strong with sims levy and peterson and the d line is growing tough with the new players we got..If we draft suh we get a franchise dlimen..On the offensive side we have are quarterback,yea he threw 5 picks in one game but if you kno football you”d kno that payton had a very bad year!!!!and know look at him,probley the best qb of all time..I wish we could get cj spiller in the draft..I dont kno what we should do in the draft,but wow i am glad to say that I trush detroit.I cant wait for the year to start,this is gonna be fun!!!!! P.S. sigh adam pacman jones he would be that conerback that we always needed plus he knows shwartz!!!!!!!!! GO LIONS!!!!!

46. By Joseph on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

People,are you listening. The alleged “greatest DT” in 15 years had two knee surgeries. The answer is no on him…………trade down. Trade down now, if you can.
    - Get Pac and Hardgrove
    - stick with #2 and get McCoy
    - trade down and get Berry with the first
    - OT with the next pick
    - RB or DT with the next pick

47. By Joseph on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

By the way, my friends, the Lions should have won 4 games last year
    - blame Linehan for ST. Louis, poor offensive scheme, misplaced loyalties
    - blame Linehan for the Seattle game, lost aggression and originality

With the FA signings, they can win 6 games now.
    This year, they win 6 games, next year, they win their division (they have to stay healthy)

48. By Anthony on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Suh or Mccoy……. But not Okung he is not a Joe Thomas or Jake Long type of OT. 2nd round we go OT or RB…Detroit needs a running basck very very bad…Okung will be a bust i watched film on him
    Go Bobcats…Until Detroit wins more games then ill call them the lions

49. By Anthony on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

By the way everyone Corey Williams is 30 years old. Which he probably only has 3 good years left in him. I say Suh because he will dominate for the next 10 years

50. By Josh on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

If the Lions dont take Suh then they need to take a dominant lineman or trade down. I think getting a pick in the middle of the first and maybe a second rounder for our first and our fourth would be worth it. We could Mays or Berry with the mid-first rounder and get a lineman for each side of the ball with the seconds….sounds almost perfect doesn’t it?

51. By Josh on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

The smartest move for the Lions is to use the fourth rounder to get Sims from Seattle. Get Adam Jones because if he has changed his off-the-field ways then he is gonna develop into a great player. No need for a lineman anymore cuz we just got Sims who is only 26 so we can trade down get our CB or S possibly a DE or RB with the second and whoever is the best player left in the third.

52. By Roger on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

I agree with Suh’s bad knees. He is 1 play away from being Brian Bosworth. Van denbosch is going to put heat on the passer this year allowing our corners to play better. I know there has been some talk about Pac Man Jones. If Schwartz can keep him in line I’m all for that move. Gives us a good cover man along with a great kick returner. Something the lions haven’t had since Mel Gray. Whoever said draft a wide reciever must me a Matt Millen fan. We DO NOT need another WR. Fullback YES. WR you’re outta your mind. I love Gerhardt. This kid is a STUD. Reminds me of Jerome Bettis with better feet and hands. Isn’t there a LT in free agency worth taking a shot with? What ever way the management goes I got their back. EVERYONE is doing a great job at turning this organization around. All the haters that want the Lions off on Thanksgiving can kiss my A**. WE belong playing on Turkey Day. Thank you Mr. Ford for removing your head from your Deirierre and getting us a winning management team. The lions WILL be in the playoffs in the next 2 years. Man I’m JACKED UP for this draft.

53. By Josh on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

1. Trade down for mid-first and third and take a safety; Mays or Berry
    2. RB or D-Line
    3. RB or D-Line
    3. Best of the Rest pick
    4. Use to get Rob Sims
    5. FB
    7. CB
    7. LB or O-Line

Can always find decent O-Line, LBs, and CBs in the seventh round. This is the perfect way for the Lions to use their picks to their full advantage. Rob Sims is only 26 which gives him half a decade to control the line. RB is a huge concern for the team Jahvid Best is small but may be available in the second…can u say Felix Jones or Chris Johnson??? In the third i think Terrence Cody from Alabama will still be available. He is 6’4″, 346…how can u pass that up. Lions will be a .500 team next season if they stick with my plan.

54. By Chris J on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Does anyone know if the Lions are interested in Atogwe from the Rams he was their franchised player last year and his parents live across the River in Windsor. As the direction of the franchise is moving in the right direction I am sure we would be considered if the money was right. I heard Jones and the ‘Boys are trying to woo him…. it is definitely worth exploring as our defense was ranked last again last year…. thoughts?

55. By Kevin Ladd on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

trade #2 pick with Seatle for OT sims and there first rd pick,take RB Best with that pick and go DT with 2nd round pick,now the lions have top 10 offence in all of football for cheap,they can pay both Best and Sims what they will have to pay Suh,Mccoy or Okung…and they can continue to work on defence with rest of draft!!!

56. By brad on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

i am excited for draft day as well.. i hope they do some major work on the oline to protect stafford.. i doubt it will happen but i would like to see them draft okung and move backus to lg(he is a solid run blocker just doesnt pass block to well as a t) and in the 2nd round try to get maurkice pouncey.. that would give them a great offensive line and give stafford and the oline time to develop together.. and it would give us good depth at line too.. they would be drafting the best ot and the best c/g according to some mock’s and it wouldnt take that much if they had to move up because some boards having pouncey going to the colts at 31.. they oculd then draft a safety in the 3rd round like myron rolle.. and cb arenas in the 4th round and sign pacman.. with those 3 additions to the secondary and all the moves they made for the defensive line that would be huge for the defense.. but the offensive line would be young all under 28 except backus (3 being 25 years old) so with the signing of burleson and pettigrew going into his second year he will only get better.. the offense will look pretty good only needing a decent number 3 receiver and another rb.. they wouldnt have to use a high pick on an offensive lineman for a couple years to replace backus.. the defense would be alot better with the line improvements.. hill is going be going into his 2nd year but the rest of the dline is around 30 so they would have to use some draft picks on them but not for a couple years.. they are pretty high on levy at mlb.. and sims is liking the system.. and then the secondary.. drafting rolle would be good because he is a good player and good off the field too.. and if pacman is close to as good as he was a couple years ago he could help us in st and defense.. i dont think he is going to be a big risk because he wants to play football and he knows he is pretty much on his last leg so he cant mess up again.. and he hasnt had any problems for almost 2 years now.. but with pacman and arenas at corner would be pretty nice.. and the safties rolle and delmas(beast) would sound pretty good to me

57. By brad on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

as much as i would like to see the lions as the best defense in the league i dont see it happening because.. STAFFORD.. they couldnt protect him last year and he got hurt.. HE IS THE FRANCHISE.. If something were to happen it would set us back 5 more years.. So to limit the chance of injury DRAFT OLINE! and then build the defense! with the first 2 picks draft 2 olineman and you woulndnt have to invest anything in them for awhile as long as gosder pans out.. THEY NEED A FOUNDATION and the offense is closer to being built the right way than the defense so finish the offense and they would have that foundation

58. By sftoby on Apr 2, 2010 | Reply

you got a good qb from sf in hill….the guy has the it factor that was never appriciated in sf (what a zoo) i always felt that hill should have been the starter here through qb’s smith…osullivan …..dilfer (he was better than all 3)……sad to see him go…you guys are lucky to have him for a backup……and he will impress if he has to play.

59. By Ron From Maryland on Apr 2, 2010 | Reply

I am a Lions fan from maryland lol(as rare as it gets). I really like the free agent moves the lions have been making. They really need to solidify the defense. Games are won and lost in the trenches so i wouldn’t mind if the Lions drafted Suh, McCoy, or Okung. I think that they will draft Suh. The run and pass defense will get a huge boost if one of the d-lineman are drafted. I would also like to see the Lions draft a middle linebacker or a safety to start opposite of Delmas. Drafting a corner would not be a bad idea as well. Anything to help the bad pass defense is key. If the D improves then i see the lions winning about 6 or 7 games. Look for a trade during the draft.

60. By Brian Richard Hughes on Apr 2, 2010 | Reply

Rd1… SUE

Rd2… SS MAYS,… LG LUPITA,… RB BEST,… CB MCCOURTNEY…

Sue – Mays tandem would be golden… dont think mays will make it to the second rd though… we’ll see…

Mays, Lupita, McCourtney all might not be there… and i think they would take Best’s speed over any other rb…

P.S. – Starting Defense Looking Good

*RCB- Pacman Jones*, FS – Louis Delmas, SS – Taylor Mays, LCB- Chris Houston, ROLB – Ernie Sims, MLB – DeAndre Levy, LOLB – Julian Peterson, RDE – Cliff Avril, RDT – Sammie Lee-Hill, LDT – Ndomikong Sue, LDE – KVB

61. By Preston on Apr 2, 2010 | Reply

By Richard on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

Manning threw 26 Td and 28 INTS his rookie season in 16 games and rushed for 68 yards 0 TD’s
    Stafford threw 13 Td’s and 20 INTS his rookie season in 10 games and rushed for 108 yards 2 TDs

It’s somewhat averages out, don’t it!

62. By Wayne on Apr 2, 2010 | Reply

Stafford may be the best we’ve had in years. I still can’t believe what a bust Harrington was. What a joke. And remember that joker we got from Miami,Scott Michille or something? Charlie Batch…the list goes on. We’ve had our fair share of QB busts. I laughed almost to tears when Culpepper was named a starter. I can only hope Stafford will be the one.

63. By Jordan on Apr 3, 2010 | Reply

well when you have calvin fucking triple covered what do you expect now that we have burelson that not going to happen if it does they will get burned by nate, besides when the defense gives up some third and 8′s leading to scores stafford had no choice but to try to force it a rookie mistake but he’s learned. get suh then offensive line because that’s the best and you can’t win if you don’t take the best availiable.

64. By JD on Apr 3, 2010 | Reply

Suh must be our pick, unless we can trade down (only if we still get a top 5 pick or multiple 1st and 2nd rounders), or unless the front office is too afraid of his knees, in which case we have to take McCoy. Either way we have the beginnings of a truely dominate D, it all starts with the D line. I can only dream that somehow Taylor Mays is still there for us with our second pick, or we move up to get him. Mays teamed up with Delmas, oooooo wow, especially with that front line, add in our linebackers. Obviously our weakness is still gonna be the corners, but with all that talent around our corners won’t look to bad at all, greatly improved over anything we’ve seen in years around Detroit anyways. And with a defense built like that, it would only help our offense, by giving them many more opportunities, keeping the score much, much lower, along with the turnovers, and an occasional TD return thrown in here or there. It seems like an absolutely no brainer on what the Lions NEED to do in this years draft. Go Lions, please finally restore the roar, or at least finally let it out for the first time ever. lol

65. By c roc on Apr 4, 2010 | Reply

I got 4 moves that will win the lions at least 8 games next season. #1 if the rams take bradford take suh, mc Coy’s bench press was terrible. #2 trade up in the draft to get taylor mays, we need another safety and in my opinion he’s the best. #3 find a good RB. and last but not least sign terrell owens, he would stop the double teams on calvin johnson and help him become a better reciever. he’d also show him how to take care of his body and stay in shape.

66. By Matthew on Apr 4, 2010 | Reply

alright here is the way I look at it. Yes we all know that we have areas that need addressed still, however I say we need to still look at drafting the best player available at each pick. Just think if that would have been done the last 10 years. Yes I know things look promising with the staff in place, but if we would have been taking the best available and not the guy that fits the need the last decade or so we wouldn’t be in the mess we have been in. Everytime a coach gets replaced the players that the old coach drafted don’t fit the new style. If you take the best available talent is talent and they should fit into any style of the coach with the right work ethic Granted Millen seemed to try to do this, but he didn’t have a clue on talent we have the guys in place now that do. Talent is talent you can’t teach that and if you have the work eithic to go along with it you can play other positions as well.

67. By Joe Q. on Apr 4, 2010 | Reply

oh what the 2010 draft could hold for the lions…

For starters this draft is very deep in areas the lions need to improve like corner and the running game (OL,RB). Plus we have tremendous value with picks number 2 and the 2nd in the 2nd round. With that being said i feel we need to get a shutdown corner and go with Berry from Tennessee, hopfully by trading down a few spots and picking up an extra mid-round pick (4th,5th). With the 2nd round pick I think drafting a talented running back like Best from Cal or Ben Tate from Aubrun would be huge in addition to Smith. I think in the 3rd round you could see a name like Donavon Warren and if so that would be a great corner with good size to pick up in the 3rd round. Throughout the rest of the draft look to your line both offensivley and defensively and add one speed athleate (WR, FS, CB).

As for the Free Agency period, Vanden Bosch is huge for the development of our younger DL such as Hill and if they do choose an DL an 2 maybe Suh. Also Williams has potential to turn it around here in the 4-3 scheme and Houston from ATL was a great trade in terms of his raw talent. Then with the LB core of Sims, Petterson amd Levy it leaves the Defense in a way better situation than years past. Now all they need to hope for is Stafford developing alot more thiis year, C.J. doing his thing, and the O-Line protecting their young QB. This draft could be huge on the Lions future, and their future might be closer than expected…

68. By seth on Apr 4, 2010 | Reply

I don’t agree with take Suh I say Take Berry he will prove to be the best player in the draft A sure thing hall of famer ERIC BERRY GO LIONS!!!

69. By Jack Mabrey on Apr 4, 2010 | Reply

Lets get our offense and defensive lines tougher, the rest will fall into place.

70. By Mikeylions on Apr 4, 2010 | Reply

The Lions will get Hargrove and Sims, and trade down in the 1st roundand get more picks. They will grab Eric Berry and then comeback and get an OL & RB in 2nd & 3rd rounds…

71. By Randall on Apr 4, 2010 | Reply

In the last 10 plus years, all of us passionate fans had a good reason to 2nd guess the picks made by our team. Millen had a track record of making bad picks. But, since Mr. Ford hired Mayhew, Swartz, and Co., we should have at least a little confidence that they know what is going on. Suh, McCoy, Okung, etc sound like they could help us if we watch the film or listen to the talking heads from the media. The thing that none of us know is what kind of a person are these guys. Work ethic, smarts, spirit, etc. I’m sure our draft staff will look at all these things, combined with talent, to bring in the best fit for the team. Maybe it will not be Suh, McCoy, Okung, or any of the Mel Kiper boys. Until they show me that they are not good at it, I will support the players that are deemed to be the best fit by Mayhew and Swartz. Here’s hoping for a draft that matches up to 2009, and puts us one more step up the ladder. After that rambling, all I ask is: Jim, Martin, Please bring us a Big Bruising RB that can run defenders over (think Earl Campbell, Bo Jackson, Hershall Walker)….. Sorry, I had to add that in….. Thank you……

72. By Anthony on Apr 4, 2010 | Reply

Seth i see you don’t know football. If we pick berry the the secondary will get burned all day because of no pressure. I said Suh but i don’t agree with that. I say get McCoy because of Suh’s knee injuries. Berry will be great but thats poor positional at number 2 and plus Detroit has bigger needs.

73. By Anthony on Apr 4, 2010 | Reply

Tridon Holiday from LSU will be a good pick for the lions. 4.2 speed. He would be great for detroit’s punt and kick return game….Who likes the idea?
    Detroit’s own Darren Sproles

74. By MCDADDYROCKS on Apr 5, 2010 | Reply

It doe’s not matter who Detroit drafts,they will never be a legit power house.How many times have the Lions been in the playoffs?Even with Barry Sanders this team sucked.This team sucked when they had Bubba Smith and every one knows how good of a player he was.

75. By Ryan P. on Apr 5, 2010 | Reply

Take SUH! Or trade down for berry DELMAS BERRYYYY! omg. I think someone will try to trade up for Suh but who knows. I like Okung, but later in the draft possibly get a ot. This is a stacked draft! Every year theres a stud OT in the first round so go dt or safety. I never seen so much hype over a DT’s in a draft. Honestly I see Mccoy being a bust. Just a gut feeling. He just doesnt have the stats to compare to Suh. Diff defensive strategies.. but I like to see sacks for stats, Suh is a beast. 2nd round kyle wilson possibly there. Likely not. We need to help our secondary out.. its still bare. Houston is good, but we still need a a shutdown stud cb. Take the best cb or safety in the 2nd or trade down, I trust the lions for once drafting.. Im so excited.. this year feels diffrent. Deff. in the right direction. Sign Sims, Give Pacman a chance. If we have another solid draft I see 6-9 Wins possible.

76. By Rob on Apr 5, 2010 | Reply

Actually Lance Lyndon Murtha was a 7th round pick for the Lions last year. He was a big LT out of Nebraska. The Lions cut him before the regular season and then put him on the practice squad where Miami signed him away from early in the season.

77. By Lance Manly on Apr 5, 2010 | Reply

FYI, to the guy bashing Stafford for throwing 5 interceptions in one game… noting he is not exactly like a franchise QB like Peyton Manning…

NEWS FLASH: Peyton Manning set his personal high with SIX interceptions against the San Diego Chargers on November 11, 2007.

Guess that means Stafford is NOT as BAD as Peyton Manning.

Also, Peyton only won three games in rookie season… very familiar seeing how the Rams won on the final drive.

Go Lions!

78. By Wayne on Apr 5, 2010 | Reply

I just want people to stop talking shit about my team year after year. It gets old. COME ON LIONS! GET SOME RESPECT THIS YEAR! DO IT!

79. By Danie on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

I want Suh so bad I can fricking TASTE it! Rams are going with Stafford, so we have to draft Suh. He’s an animal. I’ve been a Lions fan since I was 8, and I’m so sick of us drafting crappy and playing crappy. We had a great draft last year, and I think if we follow it up with another good draft this year, we might be setting ourselves up for a decent team for the first time in my memory!

80. By Anthony on Apr 7, 2010 | Reply

What do lions fans think the team should do with the 2nd round rpick?
    I say Carlos Dunlap DE Florida because he could have been a top 10 pick.
    Or Jahvid Best Cal RB

81. By JD on Apr 7, 2010 | Reply

McCoy in the 1st round, he’s a better pash rusher and doesn’t have knee problems like Suh does. For the Lions second pick they should trade up however they have too, far enough to draft Taylor Mays(imagine him teamed up with Delmas). With those two being our 1st two picks, along with what we’ve done in FA and trades, our defense will become a defense that will scare teams, and improve the Lions immediately as well as for the long term.Then with the rest of our picks find a RB and OL help. This years draft is deep. I guarentee that would turn our franchise around quicker than anything else we could do in the draft ( outside of someone giving us a Tony Dorsett type of trade for the #2 pick). GO LIONS!!!

82. By 7718 FresnoLion on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

PK 1 – Okung – You know what i have been saying about him and Pettigrew. I KNOW Mayhew likes that! It makes Backus trade bait. maybe not this year… The ONLY Lions OL with ANY value at all (if NFL GM’s play Madden! LOL) At least its solid DEPTH on the OL

PK 2 – I know you will all hate it… Taylor Mays USC. That is the corner that you all have been crying for! It may take him a few years to figure out HIS spot in the NFL, because he will practice/play anything from S to CB or OLB. And unless Schwartz and Gunny hit it on the first try, he may bounce around a little. I actually HATE USC and I say this guy play a few times in a few different spots… HE IS GOOD

*PK 3 – This is a reach and could be completely flopped with the next pick. Jared Veldheer. Gives us alot of depth and a commitment to saying “Good bye Backus”

*PK 4 – Correy Wooten – Northwestern – Without taking a DL in earlier rounds, Mayhew will be almost FORCED into grabbing someone in the 4th. I dont know alot about Wooten, except that he is a BEAST and that the Lions do NOt want to ADD another small school prospect into the rotation… so Northwestern is as good as it gets with what is left to choose from.

PK 5 – Lanyae MIller – Fresno State – Look up his stats… He is almost better than Ryan Matthews who was a first down back, Miller was put into short ydg situations and still has 5.2 YPC his Sr year. Miller played for 4 yrs for a SMASHMOUTH style team, and Im pretty sure he can hold up in the NFL

83. By Rene on Apr 10, 2010 | Reply

On Draft Day, I’m hoping the Lions get Russell!

84. By Darin Drew on Apr 10, 2010 | Reply

I can’t wait to buy a SUH jersey and draft hat! I’m excited about the draft great off season lions great job but don’t stop now!

85. By Rene on Apr 11, 2010 | Reply

Now with our defense revamped, i feel we should revamp the offense with a new left tackle. Okung will be a great addition to Pettigrew,Johnson,Burleson, and Stafford.
    The defense would be incredible with Suh, but our offense would suffer pass rush completley. I think the defense is set to take a new advantage in the front without him. I would like to see balance in the draft with a pick for Russell Okung! Let’s Go LIONS!!

86. By Anthony on Apr 11, 2010 | Reply

Rene You don’t know anything about football but i’m not going to waste my breath…..How does everyone feel about Carlos Dunlap with the 2nd round pick?

87. By Matt on Apr 11, 2010 | Reply

I really think we need Suh.

I know that there are rumors that we will trade down, but we should not. Suh would be the last piece of the puzzle with the front seven. Put Suh with Vanden Bosch, Williams, and Hunter, and you have one AWESOME D-Line. Add that D-Line to the Linebacker corps of Ernie Sims, Julian Peterson and probably De’Andre Levy, and the run defense will be AMAZING.

DEFENSE WINS BALL GAMES

GO LIONS!!!

88. By Matt on Apr 11, 2010 | Reply

and Anthony,

Dunlap is a great player, but I think that we are good at DE. We have guys like Vanden Bosch, Hunter and Avril so I think DE is not necessarily a priority. I think we should get Suh with the second pick and look at an O-Lineman in the second round.

89. By Kraig on Apr 20, 2010 | Reply

If there is a top 4 tackle remaining at number 10 (Jacksonville wants to trade down and pick tebow) we desperately need to trade our second round pick and first rounder next year for jacksonville’s pick and pick a offensive tackle (after we pick suh at 2) PLEASE DO THIS.

90. By Dante on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

OK lions you did an ok job last only problem was that you took pettigrew when you could have takin some quality players that had major impacts on theri teams last year. this years draft we need OT DT or even CB. I believe that SUH or Okung can have a mjaor impact on the team next year. we need Suh because he will be a franchise player and has great work ethic . in the second round you can still take a quality OT or even CB with that secon pick so i will end this no matter what you do just fill the need and not draft the best valuable player on the board. look at teams that do this AKA winner like Steelers and COLTS!!!!

91. By Dante on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

the only peoblem with that econd round pick is that he is not going to be there so that a corner like the kid out of alabama or mccourtney

92. By Silver on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I am excited the lions are picking up positions needed i I love the jahvid best pick and we are working on our defense and picking up line man Go Lions Im aching for a winning season for us We may be on our way GOOO LIONNNSSSSSS Ive supported this team for 23 years on this earth lets get a fucking win on turkey day this year i do not care we play NEW ENGLAND Lets beat them Work hard Rookies Work hard stafford johnson DEFENSE GET YA GAME UP

93. By jeff mcglinchey on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

the jets actually cut alan fanaca!!!!!!!! We have to at least bring him into the buildng to see what he has left,he is at least depth at the position,PLEASE AT LEAST TRY!!!!

94. By Michael Riley on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Well boys and girls, the draft is over, and so is all the second guessing. I think the lions did well in the draft. Yes I know, there are worries about Suh, the running back out of Cal with his concussions. etc. BUT!!!!! To get a monster DT, that upgrades our defensive line to ONE of the best in the NFL, if not the best (and don’t forget Albert wants out of Washington, I look for him in either Minnesota or here in Detroit before the start of camp) A running back that has similiar moves to a running back that once wore #20 here in Detroit. and a 6’5″ CB that hits like Ronnie Lott or (Anybody Remember?) Bennie Blades. Now, I’m not getting on any superbowl band wagon. However, for the first time in years, YEARS I am excited. Now with such an influx of new players in detroit, I’m waiting to see what happens in the areas of Team Chemistry, and how quickly everyone gets on the same page, gels, and becomes a cohesive unit. History points out that it usually takes at least half a season for all of this to happen. I look forward to the Lions making things interesting this season, and next year making a bigger impact in the NFL, and perhaps even the playoffs. The Lions legions of fans can finally hold their heads up and proudly wear their Lions paraphenalia…..We can root this team on, and know, KNOW better days are ahead, starting today, and not wish for better days, or live on the legends past…….This team right now, is developing into something very very special. and perhaps one day We will all be talking about the legends of this team. GO LIONS!!!!!!!!-A fan, a Die hard fan since 1970!

95. By dp10 on May 16, 2010 | Reply

lions gotz some good players

96. By Caps on Sep 28, 2010 | Reply

thanks a lot!

97. By Detroit Lions #1 on May 3, 2012 | Reply

MEGATRON BEGAN HIS REIGN OF DOMINANCE!!!!!