Delmas Taking a Leadership Role

Posted by Tara Altman on March 31, 2010 – 6:38 pm

Entering his second season, safety Louis Delmas is coming off of an impressive rookie year that included 91 tackles (63 solo), a sack, 2 interceptions (including one for a touchdown), a fumble recovery returned for a touchdown and 8 pass defenses.

After enduring several injuries over the course of the season, Delmas took a “good, hard month” off from football and is back to feeling good, relaxed and ready to take his place as a defensive leader.

Delmas: “The big thing is me stepping in and – I don’t like using the term rookie – but as far as me stepping in as a rookie (last year), coming in and playing my role of being a leader on the team, I think I did an okay job of that; (but) I don’t think I did well enough to get a couple of more wins out there.

“That’s one thing that I’m really focused on right now, trying to be a leader on the field, that way once the game situations come, where there needs to be a leadership role, I can be that person that steps in and says something.”

One of the things that has enabled Delmas to be more comfortable in a leadership role has been taking part in the offseason program and getting to know some of the new acquisitions on the secondary.

Delmas: “We have a lot of great guys. One thing up until this point is that everybody is very cool with each other. We listen to one another. We don’t have a couple of different groups that while one is working out, the other is over here talking – everybody respects each other’s work and play out there. I think we’ll be great.”

Another area on defense that the Lions have worked on strengthening this offseason is the defensive line. With the addition of defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch and defensive tackle Corey Williams, Delmas is excited to see how that will help the secondary.

Delmas: “Let me tell you, that helps us tremendously. There’s nothing like having a quarterback have three seconds to throw the ball. That’s real big on the secondary. That gives us a chance to let our hair back and take more shots instead of sitting back and letting the quarterback take shots on us. Having a great d-line is a big thumbs up for us.”

14 Responses to “Delmas Taking a Leadership Role”

1. By Lance Manly on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Delmas should have been a rookie Pro-Bowl player; scored every way possible…

- Fumble for touchdown (1st game ) vs New Orleans
    - 101 yard Interception for Touchdown vs Cardinals
    - Safey vs Packers.

Anything stand out about those teams?

That’s right, they were all in the Playoffs last year.

Add a rookie CB and our improved D-line; things are looking up for our secondary.

Delmas also wants Pac Man – as long as him helps win games – me too.

Go Lions!

2. By Anthony on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Need Suh on the D-line and Delmas would get even more better

3. By Josh on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

I think it would be smarter for the Lions to take Suh than an offensive tackle and i would like them to take a CB or S with their second round pick. I think Taylor Mays out of USC is a player that could slip into the second round and he will be a solid NFL player. Many teams get good lineman in the third and fourth rounds of the draft so why cant we ever do that…?

4. By dylandowrick on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Heres what: Don’t draft Ndamukong Suh, Sign Anthony Hargrove, trade for Rob Sims, and trade the first for later picks (49ers, Seahawks,) those are the most publicized teams to trade with. Then draft a LT with that first and with the second grab a corner (Devin McCourty), and the third? A safety such as Larry Asante or something like him. The fourth goes toward someone like John Jerry if he’s available and work your way down the draft…. A name like Ben Tate(RB) comes into mind for later in the draft also. This seams to be the safest (but longest) way around the draft and not through, because this draft either busts Jim Schwarts or makes him the next Bill Belicheck or Tony Dungy.

5. By Mike on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Delmas is DA MAN! The thing I really like is that HE says he didn’t do enough to help the team. I love the attitude! Can you imagine what he would do with the addition of Adam Jones at Nickel and if we could somehow get involved in the McNabb trade. McNabb to Oak, Our 33 pick to Phi, Nnamdi Asomuah to Det. Add Suh to the d-line and we are flirting with a top 10 overall defense.

6. By Don on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

I love it. This D-fence is going to go from worst to first in no time.
    Now I have to talk about the O-LINE or at least the Offence.
    I was saying how we could use another Fb on this TEAM and from what I hear This TEAM brought John Conner here for a work out. Is there any way we might get to hear how he did. Cuz I for one would love to see him on this TEAM. The fact is though that other TEAMS want him too and by the time we might be able to get him he might be long gone.
    So I said that there was another REALLY TALENTED FB CORY JACKSON out of Maryland 6’1″ 245 lbs and all that and that he is REAL good at the FB position. and I am wondering if you are going to take a look at him just in case John Conner isn’t there?
    Anyway’s there is even ONE MORE FB that is supposed to be like JOHN Riggins or Sam Gash. YOU know a real good FB.
    Well people are comparing him to John Riggins anyways?
    TOBY GERHART 6’1″ 237lbs Ran for 1,871 yards last year and 3000 yards in the last 2 years. And he is supposed to be Great in the Pass protection area also.
    I know that I keep pushing these FBs on you However I just believe that in the blocking dept. we really could use another one with Talent. And there are three OUT there this year that are Very Talented. So this would be a great year to pick one up.
    I know we have a lot of things to make right on this TEAM so we need all the talent that we can get. and this position I believe is a need,However these guy’s all three of them are Talented.
    If any of them are left in the late RDS Any of them would be a great Pick UP for this TEAM.
    REALLY out of the three I don’t think we could go wrong with any of them.
    LIONS!
    P.S. Just something to keep in mind. And I will shut up now about it.
    However I am REAL GLAD that you brought John Conners here to check him out!

7. By BILLO313 on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

this is by far the best free agency i have seen!!! if they can get a quality guard with the 4th pick so be it!!! the O-line really needs to be revamped so if we can do that AND still take suh, im in. key thing: MUST GET SUH TO SOLIDIFY D-LINE!! GET EM LIONS!!!

8. By jimmy dude on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Went to Norco HS as did Gerhart. I have been hoping to get him on this team. He is an all around TUFF DUDE. We’ll be at Denver for the pre-season game. Can’t wait!!! I really think we have some great talent coming in….

9. By ken gunderson on Apr 2, 2010 | Reply

We need to come up with a nick name for our great defense we’re going to have.MAYBE LIKE THE LIONS CLAW…..( TLC )….

10. By Jerome on Apr 2, 2010 | Reply

I’m sold that we need to draft either Suh or McCoy, preferably Suh. Look at the Ravens. They have been pretty good for several years–all because of their Defense. Now their offense has caught up.
    For years, we had good offenses, even sometimes scary to opposing defenses, but we haven’t had a top 15-20 defense in probably over 15 years.
    If we keep the #2 pick, we have to take Suh. The “experts” say that a DT is not worth the money, but really are any athletes/entertainers “worth” the money they earn for our entertainment: NO! Draft Suh, sign him for 6 years as soon as possible, front load the contract for this uncapped year and that will solidify the D-Line for years to come.
    Starting D:DEs: KVB, C. Avril; DT: Williams/Hill, Suh/McCoy; LB: Sims, Levy, Peterson/Dizon; CB: Houston, Hobbs/King; S: Delmas, Pearson

11. By Lance Manly on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

Bill: Hey, it is even better; Lion’s acquired a “quality” guard for a 5th round pick! Nice…

Seattle traded us a 7th round for a practice squad DE they could have got in 5 months for free. But, then again, he wouldn’t be with them through the off season workouts.

I am strongly considering Suh as our #2; no that the O-line has a “starter” in each position. Suh is a BEAST; only concern is his two knee surgeries.

McCoy is great also, although my concerns are his 22 bench press; no regular gym regiment, and his lay back attitude. I mixed on rather that lay back attitude will fit right in with Stafford or be a “work effort” issue.

I know that Suh won on stats in college; but I have never seen either play.

Has anyone seen them play? Which is better consider the negatives I mentioned?

Go Lions!

12. By Brad on Apr 10, 2010 | Reply

The Lions are not going to have a great, or good defense this year. MAYBE if we take Suh and then a CB in rd. 2 we could have an alright defense, and not give up the most points in the NFL for a 3rd straight season. While that may sound “good” to us lions fans, lets face it, that’s still not “good” in comparison the the rest of the NFL. Even if we did go for almost all defensive players in this draft, everyone is acting like Suh and whoever else we take if we go that route, are going to hit the ground running and start playing at their highest level. While that may be nice to dream about, the reality is, is that we need at least one season minimum to develop the players we get in the draft…get them used to the speed of the league over college, the different schemes, everything. Stafford was good last season, but he’ll be better this season, and even better the next season (assuming there is actually a 2011 season). Players don’t develop overnight, and we shouldn’t expect them to. Yes the Lions will be better in 2010 than in 2009 as they were better in 2009 than in 2008, but lets face it, that doesn’t make our team good, it just makes us feel better than 0-16 ;)

13. By seth on Apr 18, 2010 | Reply

pic berry and robinson pacman Jone and trade for Albert Haynesworth and we got a dt that and play 3 good safety Eric berry blocks delmas row tat them in and out and cb as well with robinson pacman and Chris Houston hill and Albert Haynesworth and Kyle Vanden Bosch mack them throw and pic them off !!!! ya

14. By koch lex on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

as much as detroit needs defense help why go with best at rb? our track record with rbs staying healthy is not very good. it sure would look good getting another cornerback or off. tackle in the second roung rather than a running back. they could have picked a decent back on the third of fourth round.. best will get injured in preseason or shortly after in the regular season, hope this pick will ot turn out bad.