Help Vote Barry Sanders to the Most Valuable Draft Pick of All Time!

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on April 8, 2010 – 5:43 pm

Lions’ Hall of Fame running back Barry Sanders has been announced as one of the top-20 vote-getters in the NFL’s 75 Most Valuable Draft Picks of All Time.

The vote is in celebration of the 75th NFL Draft, which kicks off in primetime for the first time in exactly two weeks: Thursday, April 22.

Lions’ fans can help Sanders get to the top of the list by voting, which ends April 18!

Following the conclusion of the fan vote, picks 75 – 11 will be announced from April 19 – April 21 on NFL.com and NFL Network.  The top 10 greatest Draft picks then will be revealed during the 2010 NFL Draft, which begins Thursday, April 22 at 7:30 PM ET.

The 10 Most Valuable Draft Picks will be announced during Round 1, when many of the Top 10 will be in attendance at Radio City Music Hall, the home of the 2010 NFL Draft.

The order of the Top 10 will be revealed following the conclusion of the Second Round of the Draft on Friday night. Many of these players will be on hand for the announcement.

MOST VALUABLE DRAFT PICK TOP 20 VOTE-GETTERS THROUGH APRIL 7 (in alphabetical order)

Name

Lawrence Taylor
 New York Giants
 1981; 1, 2

Rod Woodson
 Pittsburgh Steelers
 1987; 1, 10

23 Responses to “Help Vote Barry Sanders to the Most Valuable Draft Pick of All Time!”

1. By remy on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

you dont think of the lions w/o thinking of Barry Sanders [period]

2. By davis on Apr 9, 2010 | Reply

if it wasn’t for barry the lions would have sucked as bad when he was tere as they do now, although they are making some positive moves in this off season, but we’ll see.

3. By Mike Fitzgerald on Apr 9, 2010 | Reply

Barry Sanders is the ONLY bright spot us Lion’s fans have had since winning the NFL Championship in 1957.He was a crucial part of our ONLY playoff win since that ’57 Championship.Thats ONLY 1 playoff victory in 53 years,but we have had 9 LOSSES.Still,ONLY 10 playoff appearances in 53 years is far beyond pathetic.wcf you are the most incompetant owner of any major sports organization in the world.

4. By brad lipke on Apr 9, 2010 | Reply

All you had to to is to got to one of Barry Sanders games to feel the electricity in the air, every one in the stadium new that Barry would be on the highlight reel on tv that evening.

5. By Lance Manly on Apr 9, 2010 | Reply

In my hours of voting; Barry came up less than eight other Lions; only Bobby Lane (actually a Bear), H. Walker and Joe Schmidt came up less often than Barry.

They may have had some behind the scene logic; like if Barry to 95% + of the votes than it counted for two or three votes. Only one player beat Barry head to head; Jerry Rice.

Way to go Barry!

Go Lions!

6. By Kurt B Young on Apr 10, 2010 | Reply

Barry Sanders
    Detroit Lions
    1989; 1, 3

7. By Rene on Apr 10, 2010 | Reply

Barry Sanders in my mind will always be the best player the lions ever had.

8. By Wayne on Apr 10, 2010 | Reply

Barry is the #1 pick the Lions ever made. There may not ever be another running back that had the effect Barry had with the Lions. I miss those days.

9. By seth on Apr 10, 2010 | Reply

Eric Berry !!!

10. By seth on Apr 10, 2010 | Reply

barry here to you !!!!!

11. By blasphemite on Apr 11, 2010 | Reply

this list is absurd.

where’s johnny unitas? he was drafted very low.

why is terry bradshaw on this list? he was worth taking, even at #1 overall, but that doesnt mean he was one of the top 20 best values ever.

if johnny U was taken so low, and bradshaw was taken so high, and yet bradshaw is here but johnny U isnt then can we conclude that bradshaw was better–far better–than johnny U? ridiculous.

12. By rick m on Apr 11, 2010 | Reply

barry # 1 draft pick of all time

13. By Don on Apr 11, 2010 | Reply

I wish that I was going to comment on this voting situation, However I’m still turning in votes.
    Well back to what I really want to talk about. The draft Of coarse.
    Well, Most of the Time I would probably go ahead and say to take a LT or something for the O-LINE. However this year I’m not.
    I really believe that we can Take Suh with the first of our picks and still get a talemted OT If we want to. There is a Really good LT comming out of usc that they are comparing to Okung.I wish that I could remember his Name. I know that he is alittle bigger than Okung. BUT, just as powerful. He does Need a little work around the edges BUT? YOU know.
    I also believe that this guy might be there in the later Rounds.
    That way we can go for a RB or CB or Safety. with the second pick (our 2nd pick no.34)
    It Looks like Javid Best might be there to take.
    If NOT there is a lot of the draft experts giving the Idea that Toby Gerhart would be a very go FB to take in the later Rounds.
    Iwish that I was More excited about this Draft.
    I am VERY excited about the way that FA went and relize that we picked up some really great Talent there and I am really excited to see how these guy’s do for us in the Regular Season.
    However even thoughI believe that I would like to see us take Suh I would also like it if we found a way to get some more picks also.
    I really believe that Taking suh though will make our D-Fence the Strongest D-fence in the League. Maybe not right out of the box BUT, very soon after.
    And I am still not forgetting about the FB position and that isn’t even got to do with Toby Gerhart. It just has to do with the blocking situation.
    Allthough they say that Toby can do it all.
    Ireally like the Conners kid from Kentucky too.
    Jerome Felton would be great on his own if he would just start Blocking when he is supposed to. However I have been watching and waiting for him to step up into that role and he just doesn’t seem to get it or want to? He is great at everything else. He may be a little better at the passing game than the running game though? He really hasn’t moved the ball on the ground very well.
    Well, He can catch the ball.
    anyways I know you guy’s will do great in the draft and I’m hoping that the right men will be there for us when it is our time to pick.
    And I’m hoping that you know who they ar when it is time to take them.
    LIONS!

14. By Lance Manly on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

Barry Sanders – best ever Lion? Hmm…

Gotta remember; the Lions had Four Hall of Famer Defensive backs that STILL rank in Top 15 pass intercepters to this day.

Plenty of our Hall of Famers came before most fans were born so tough to say Best Ever Lion.

Best Ever Running Back for Lions – Easy – but Lion player; now you are weighing RB vs Bobby Lane QB and every other position.

15. By MikeyZ on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

I think Barry was the best thing the Lions ever hsd. I’m glad that I got to see him playing for my beloved Lions! They’re moving in the right direction it seems. I guess we’ll see.

16. By Norm on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

Tom Brady is the top one Rd. 6 pick 199 3 super bowls league mvp future hof come on now he is the most valuable pick of all time barry number 2 sad to say but in this he is

17. By Jeff Kruchkow on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

This list is in no way legit.Barry is the best draft pick ever.The whole time I voted I only had Barry come up once.I voted for a long time too.till I realized Barry wasnt coming up enough and I was only boosting other peoples value over the 1 who really deserved the credit.But we dont need a rigged election to say who is the best the proof is on every highlight and in the hall of fame.Numbers mean nothing there will never be another talent to match his.

18. By Trent on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

(Lance manly) Please dude you’re reaching!

19. By dchoward on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

If Barry Sanders ran behind the same Oline Emmitt Smith ran behind, Barry would have had 20,000 in 12 or 13 years. Remmber Detroits Oline was so bad Barry lost alot of yards. And they couldn’t open holes at the goal line.

20. By mdetc on May 15, 2010 | Reply

Barry Sanders was truly in a class of his own, not even debatable…. That got me to thinking about having Barry, maybe throw in Lomas Brown and Kevin Glover on this 2010 team. With Staff, CJ, and our improved D-Line, the Lions would be a scary team every Sunday. Since it’s my fantasy, I’m going to pick up one of my all time favorites, Lem Barney, to play CB and return punts…… We have had plenty of down years this decade, but I can look back to those great players, and also look ahead because our Lions are situated to have some good years in the not to distant future……..Its going to get better every year…..

Lions Fan 4 Life

21. By dp10 on May 16, 2010 | Reply

barry sanders rockssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. By Nina Adams on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

how can you even think of the game of football with out the name of
    Barry Sanders.. he set the standard for others to follow..

23. By dale on Apr 14, 2011 | Reply

by dale BEST RUNNINR BACK of all TIME. JUST GREAT………………..