Scheffler Glad to be Home

Posted by Tara Altman on April 21, 2010 – 6:32 pm

After spending the first four years of his career in Denver, tight end Tony Scheffler is glad to be home.

As a Chelsea, Michigan native and a Western Michigan graduate, coming back to the Detroit area has been a welcomed change.

Scheffler: “It’s a beautiful facility, top notch. I’m happy to be back in the home state. My whole family is from the down river area, so I make my home here in the offseason. It was kind of cool to be able to pull my car into the driveway yesterday after practice and it actually felt like home.”

Having proved tremendous pass catching abilities throughout his career, it’s no surprise that Scheffler is looking forward to working with second-year quarterback Matthew Stafford.

While he hasn’t had the opportunity to get on the field with Stafford yet, he’s impressed with what he’s seen so far.

Scheffler: “He’s very similar to Jay (Cutler). I was watching practice yesterday – I’ve only been around for a couple of days – but he sits in that pocket and throws that thing with some zip. Just watching yesterday, he made some throws that you don’t see a lot of guys make.”

Another player Scheffler is looking forward to playing with is on the opposite side of the ball.

Second-year safety Louis Delmas, who the Lions’ selected in the second-round of the 2009 NFL Draft out of Western Michigan.

Scheffler: “It was good to see Louis. He was just a little freshman when I was a fifth-year senior at Western and I got to say, he still has the same personality. I reminded him yesterday that he’s still a rookie here, so he got a kick out of that. It was a good to see him and a couple of other guys that I’ve played with in Denver. It was pretty cool.”

17 Responses to “Scheffler Glad to be Home”

1. By Mark on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

Coach , take that 7th pick and go get LenDale , that’s all the Titans want for him . GO Get HIm

2. By seth on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

draft to day

3. By Don on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

I’m going to come right out and say That I hope that this TEAM doesn’t have some dumb trade senario going on so that we can get Haynsworth.
    I think that,that is going in the wrong direction.
    And it is a coaching decision that is the wrong one.
    Albert Haynsworth Is not worth what Suh is worth.
    Suh Is young and has a lot more to give. And he isn’t Lazy or selfish like Haynsworth is.
    I just see the Haynsworth trade Just so we can get an OT as a HUGE mistake.
    And IT looks like one that will give a a good year,Maybe two, and then we will be right back where we were before. Because Haynsworth will be done.
    Haynsworth just isn’t as young and Hungry as Suh is going to be.
    and as far as the charactor issue goes it isn’t even close.
    We can Take Suh and still get a OT with the 34th pick that is Talented.
    Or we could take a good Guard with the 34th. OR we could take Brandon graham and suh if graham falls that far and really have a D-LINE that is just unforgiving. I know that getting graham is a long shot and we do need a Talented RB also so taking Graham might be messing with taking a talented RB However,it would make this D-Fence something VERY Special.
    I guess That I feel that you will Make the right decisions With the Picks it’s just that when it comes between Albert and Suh I just TOTALY believe that Suh is and will be the best answer for this TEAM. Over the LONG haul.
    Man I am excited and I know everyone there is excited too.
    My hope is that we will make the right decision on everyone that we take and get the Men that we need to get, to take us to the superBowl and Win it.
    Everything is going to turn out Right.
    And we are going to win.
    LIONS!

4. By seth on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Knowshon gets to Know Berry suh i sorry to say shit about you os i take that back but berry how i go with ..

5. By Don on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

I just wanted to drop a line to say How Proud of this organization that I am.
    YOU men are changing The Face of this TEAM the way that should be.
    And I am Very proud also of the FORD Family and the Moves that they have been making Also. I have allways Known that you have wanted this TEAM to be a winner Mr.Ford and I want to thank you for all that you have been doing to Make it one.
    This TEAM the Owner,and the Fans of this city deserve a winner.
    And I believe that we are Surely on the way to not only being a winner BUT,To be a Winner and a well OILED MACHINE for a long, long, long time.
    It has allready been a lot of fun watching this TEAM Being put together And it will also be fun watching it Get to where we all want it to be.
    A winner!
    Again, Thank you all from the front office to the coach’s and to the owners.
    THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!
    lions!

6. By Don on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Yea, It’s me again, and I have to say: JOB WELL DONE MEN!
    I Believe that we had a great draft. And great FA Pick ups.
    All the way around I believe that we have improved this TEAM!
    I have to say that I even love the two 7th round picks and that they can do a lot to help this team win.
    I wish that I was better at remembering Names.
    However I believe you know who I am talking about.
    The 7th rounders. The Impressive DE from North Carolina and the WR/KR From WEBER STATE.
    I havent seen a lot of video on the DE YET! However I will find some you can bet on that. However Just his Stats had me smiling a mile wide. And he seems to be a great guy. I love the Dudes who love the outdoors. Fishermen Hunters and the LIKE. And he seems like he just Really has a great personality.
    I liked that about Ernie Simms, Just a real nice guy. except on the field (:
    and ( I know, we had to do what we had to do).
    And I did get to watch The WR/KR And he has really surprized Me with the Speed that he has and some of the catches that he Made. He actually plucked some right out of the air,came down and still got yardage after the catch.
    That’s cool. And I hope that this kid get’s a real shot at making the TEAM. He looks like he could be a great little return man also.
    I can see where he Might need a little training or coaching up on the Returning thing. As about Looking for a hole and takin off and all that.( Never mind)!
    BUT, i”m glad we have a new special TEAMS coach that can help him out there.
    OH and the OT that we picked up in the fourth round! Fantastic!
    I got to watch video on him and he is going to be a great OT. DO NOT put him on the Practice Squad this year.
    If he can PLAY at all GET HIM OUT there playing and learning right away.
    This guy is THE GUY! The one that we should train and get ready to take over when Backus decides to retire.
    However, if Gosder isn’t doing what he is supposed to be doing And this kid is Healthy and ready to go I would throw him into Gosders position and have them take turns and stuff. This OT is TALENTED!
    IT has been a long time since I have seen a guy open holes like this dude can.
    Really Mayhew and Schwartz if I was a crying man and not a whiner instead.
    I would be crying it up right now over the great things that you guy’s have done and are doing for this TEAM.
    Now just bring the whole thing together as one with one common goal And a well oiled Machine and Get on the road to winning.
    And don’t Let anyone put a time limit on it.
    If it happens this year great if it happens next year great. It will take what it takes to bring it all together and have it work like a machine.
    I mean your dealing with people for crying out loud! (:
    THIS THING IS GOING TO HAPPEN! LORD WILLING IT WILL HAPPEN!
    LIONS!

7. By seth on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

pick up out of free gents Stephen Williams he a player and at 64 a big target and run a 44o i think. so fast

8. By seth on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

and when are we going to talk with pacman

9. By Don on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Here is an Idea and a good one.
    I have been watching some more u-tube video of Mike Moore WR out of Geargia. One of Staffords old Targets.
    Well we Let go of Dennis Northcutt and sign Mike Moore Instead!
    And Let go of B.Johnson and take the New Kid Tim Toone.
    Well I Guess we should see what Tim Toone looks like at camp. However, watching the film on him shows that he can Really run after the catch and as far as Kick returns go he looks better than anyone that we have had so far.
    LIONS!

10. By Jocelyn on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Welcome home Tony.

11. By Casey on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

I think they will figure things out just fine guys. Go get em’ front office…doing a great job! Glad to see that I may be able to earn a little bit of respect back when I say I’m a lions fan. Tired of getting flack from everyone (I live in Indianapolis and its tough to be a detroit fan here!). Another great draft, another great off season. I am thrilled to have Jahvid Best, I’ve had my eye on him since his sophomore season…glad we got him and don’t have to face him!

12. By mike on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

I think that the lions did an outstanding job with free agency and the draft. van den bosch and suh on the d line. what a combo. welcome back to michigan tony. lets restore the roar that has been lacking in detroit the past few years. looking forward to the season.

13. By Lance Manly on Apr 29, 2010 | Reply

Suh.

Best.

CB & T

Think there was something for everyone in this year’s draft.

Young, DE, was rated as a 3rd round pick; so he was a steal in the top of the 7th.

I am rooting for Mr. Toone; or formal name, Mr. Irrelavant. I want him to be among the most productive Mr. Irrellavants in history. Another Lion CB Ramsey had a good career from that location; hopefully he can play special teams and work his way into a Wes Welker slot postion. Good Luck.

Can’t wait for the season to start; added Six new starters this off season easy; Suh, Best, Spievy, KVB, Corey Williams, and Houston.

Going to be a Great Season to be a Lions fan – That is to A or A- drafts in a row… Nice Job Schwartz!

Lions go 10-6 this season.

14. By Terry Scheffler on Apr 29, 2010 | Reply

I am from Ohio and know I have relatives in Indiana and Michigan. Tony MUST be a cousin. Glad you are home. My father played for the Portsmouth Spartans way back when. Have a great season.

15. By Anthony on Apr 29, 2010 | Reply

I say cut Kevin Smith he is too injury prone. Get Marshawn Lynch from Buffalo for a 6 or 7th round pick. Lynch and Best would be a great duo. Our schedule is tricky this year. I looked at it and i see us going 6-10 this year Honestly. Go Lions the biggest thing is that our linebacker core is horrible. Hopes Stafford stays healthy and im eager to see if he will get better this year!!!! Suh is a monster ROCK CITY DEFENSE

16. By seth on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

pacman i feel for you bro they have know clue what your going throw having the game you love rip away and all this alleged bull i hoping for you to get back in the NFL

17. By Don on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Glad to have you back Toney Scheffler. From What I hear you are a great Pass catcher. Well That’s what we need is Someone that will catch the Ball.
    Glad to have you back.