Campbell Anxious to Return to Football

Posted by Tara Altman on April 30, 2010 – 2:07 pm

Linebacker Caleb Campbell was originally selected by Detroit in the seventh round of the 2008 NFL Draft out of West Point.

Based on the Army’s alternative-service-policy, he was allowed to enter the draft upon graduation, with the plan to complete his military service as a recruiter while also pursing his football career.

But on July 8, the Army revised this policy, stating that Campbell would first have to serve his military service time, preventing him from signing a contract with the Lions and playing football until 2010.

Campbell: “It was really tough for me, initially. But I knew I had to carry on with my orders. I allowed that pain I was feeling of having your dream at your fingertips and then having it taken away from you, I guess you can say I embraced it, and allowed it to make me a better person.

“Over the last two years I’ve definitely matured as a person and I think that pain and that hard time built character. Over the past two years it’s been a blessing still and I’ve matured in a lot of ways off the field.”

With his service time accounted for, Campbell arrived at the Lions’ training facility anxious to get back on the field with the other rookies.

Having been away from football for the past two years, the idea of getting back on the field is both nerve-racking and exciting.

Campbell: “It’s really exciting to know that I have an opportunity to be here because over the last two years I’ve been battling with the idea of whether I was even going to play again. I’m trying to work out at the levels that this caliber of athletes in the NFL workout at and being unsure of whether or not I can even play again.

“I’m pretty nervous, but I’m also excited to get out there and to run around with the guys again and put a helmet on. I’m anxious to see how my body adapts to it. I know that I’m my own worst enemy, I’m an over achiever and I’m very critical of myself, so I know it’s going to take a little time to get back into things. It’s been challenging, but I’m really excited to be here.”

16 Responses to “Campbell Anxious to Return to Football”

1. By Emalee on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

This is awesome I hope Caleb makes the team. I’m pretty sure I’ve got the only Caleb Campbell Lions jersey that exists.

2. By Lance Manly on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

Congradulations Caleb!

I’m lookin’ forward to seeing you in a game.

Go Lions!

3. By Ben Kivela on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

welcome back Caleb Cambell,

As both a hardcore lions fan, and a member of the military I salute you, and wish you a long successful career in the NFL, give em hell out there.

Hooaahh!

4. By Minnu on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

Should be a great addition to this already beefed up roster…GO LIONS….lifetime fan

5. By bobby olse on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

good luck caleb….. when the lions drafted you i was looking forward to seeing you show the discipline, and the mental fortitude it takes to break some bones out on that field…. turn those coaches heads man!!!

6. By bobby olsen on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

i mean break some running backs bones…not yours…. anyway good luck caleb

7. By bobby olsen on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

get out there and show all the nfl you belong out there caleb

8. By seth on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

when the last time you seen the lion tack achance on a player need of a football family . go lion

9. By G. Jones on May 1, 2010 | Reply

I hope that he makes it. How “convenient” it was for the Army to change their “policy” when he had already been allowed to be drafted only to get shafted.

10. By mike on May 1, 2010 | Reply

im excited to have you back here, your just two years more seasoned, mature, ready for the big game, im putting my money on you to excell, (and just in time for a open spot that needs a focused mind).

11. By Malik Houston on May 1, 2010 | Reply

When the first time we saw you.You were good so have fun and hit hard

12. By Mike on May 1, 2010 | Reply

Welcome back Caleb! I remember the day you were drafted, and I was saddened by, and also proud of the fact that you were called back to serve our country. It’s people like you that keep us here in America safe. I was raised a Lions fan and will always be one, and I’m sure you’ll be a great addition to our Lions.

Go Lions!

13. By Shelby Pond on Sep 9, 2010 | Reply

Growing up with you and watching you play on the field, I always knew you would be able to go far with football. I’m glad your dream has finally come true! I have to say that I never really watched the Lions play, but I now will be. I’m rooting for you and I know everyone from our hometown will be too! Good luck, Caleb!

1. 3 Trackback(s)

2. Apr 30, 2010: Military Sports Report - After Action – Campbell officially a Lion
  3. Apr 30, 2010: Caleb Campbell joins Lions — finally | FantasyAces.com