Suh Comments on First Day of Orientation

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on April 30, 2010 – 10:16 pm

The Detroit Lions kicked off their rookie orientation Friday with an afternoon practice outdoors.

All drafted rookies were in attendance, including second-overall selection DT Ndamukong Suh.

Suh on what he thought of his first day: “It was a good day; we got out there and I’m happy to be back on the field, that’s really exciting. No more combine training and those things. It’s back to football. I’m learning the basics and I’m excited.

“I love this scheme. I’ve just got to really hone into it because it’s a little bit different. It’s like in Nebraska and third-down rushing every single play, so I’ve got to get used to that and incorporate that in my body.”

Suh came from a defensive scheme in Nebraska where he wasn’t asked to rush the quarterback every down. Instead, he was asked to play the run first (on first and second down) and then rush the quarterback on third down.

The Lions’ system wants Suh to rush on every down.

Suh on whether he looks at this defense as treating every down like third down: “Yeah, as in my get-off and so forth. Obviously the game is going to change – they’ll keep it even running and passing the ball. But for the most part, I take that view of third-down get-off every single time.”

Suh says there haven’t been any surprises in regards to his first day of professional football. Without the veterans in attendance, the entire group was getting used to a faster pace and a different coaching staff.

Suh is just glad to get back to football after months of combine and draft preparation.

Suh: “When you get back on that field, it’s all about football. It’s whatever you do in between those white lines. Obviously my learning curve is going to be a lot faster than what it was in college being a freshman coming in here being a rookie. So my mindset is just to pick it up as quickly as I can and then learn what I have to get done and get it done.”

21 Responses to “Suh Comments on First Day of Orientation”

1. By kalen santiago on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

suh is gunna b a beast to stop on the d line, to bad with havent got adam jones YET…and y did best pick that ugly ass number 44 the number is bigger then him for all those people that dont like him has the 30th pick in the draft ARE crazy but wont b long b 4 those same people are all over his nuts im from cal so i seen all his game…people say the he is prone to getting hurt but who in the NFL isnt eveyone is just that one hit away from seating out the season….GO LIONS SUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHH

2. By Preston R. on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

Detroit is changing. For the first time in my life instead of hope, I have goose bumps.

3. By Dave on May 1, 2010 | Reply

I think you summed up well Preston what a lot of us are thinking

4. By terrance gentry on May 1, 2010 | Reply

o yea baby we on our way

5. By jleadfoot on May 1, 2010 | Reply

bring WO OWENS in on contract for 3 to 4 year and maybe charles roger should come back to be an all star instead of oweing the kiuns till he wins a spot no money till he shows off his spead we need big time middle linebacker add a couple of more free agents o put the ss and s with first 1lt army and you have a sound lavar arrington were can you go wrong soild offence and d add pacman if speed is ther

6. By quarter2midnite on May 1, 2010 | Reply

I know how you feel Preston R. I get goose bumps every year……this year they’re quite a bit bigger than usual. I think the defensive additions will make all the difference in the world. I’m excited about our offensive improvements, too!
    But we lost about 4-5 games last year because our defense couldn’t get off the field, and that put more pressure on our offense to take risks at times we normally wouldn’t have. With what we’ve done, if we don’t make the play-offs, we’ll be just a frogs hair away.

7. By Mike on May 1, 2010 | Reply

Suh is the man and I am happy he is a LION. The front 7 is shaping up nicely. Still very concerned about the LT and SS positions though. Stafford is in for another very long year.

8. By md on May 1, 2010 | Reply

Mike, I share your concern about protecting the QB. My hope is that with our D being better, we can keep the opposition from just marching down the field. Some 3 and out series will hopefully give Matt & Co some more time to run the ball or some quick, short passes that will be completed before the O-line folds. Who knows, maybe with a more balanced skill position team, the bad guys (other team) won’t be able to just triple CJ and send everybody else to the QB. Of course, I’m always optimistic at this time of year.

9. By Mitch on May 1, 2010 | Reply

It’s a bit too early for me to drink the kool-aide, but Suh is the MAN. ON and OFF the field, Hardcore old school Lions fans (and I’m proud to say I’m one of ‘em) should be fairly excited. On the field, Suh is going to wade thru OLs like Godzilla thru Tokyo. He is a MONSTER. And a very well-spoken young man off the field. He’s going to give of himself to the community, because that’s who he is. I know it might sound like i’m on his payroll, but picture being a bears fan and drafting a Dick Butkus. Or a giants fan drafting L.T.. these guys changed the way the game is played. And although it is way to soon to compare him with these legends of the game, this is one of those guys like the the mentioned greats where coming in, you just kind of “know”…of course this is all contingent on the lions not messing everything up :) Kudos to Mayhew and CO….So Far, So Good…now the OL, that worries me! Normally, I’m this guy: First you take out the mortgage (stafford), than you get the insurance (OL)…I’d really like to see Matthew survive long enough to have a chance at a great career. I think Suh is just one of those guys it’s better to have on your team than play against. And we need all of those players we can get!

10. By Eric on May 1, 2010 | Reply

I think The reason they got Scheffler was to run alot of two TE sets to help out with the edge blocking. I think if you have those guys on the outside to slow down the rush and then they split off into routes, it will be very hard to defend, especially with Best in the backfield and the addition of Burelson on the outside. WHO DO YOU DEFEND?

11. By Eric on May 1, 2010 | Reply

Add Pacman to play CB and put Spievey at SS…..

12. By Eric on May 1, 2010 | Reply

Defense: Avril…..Williams…..Suh…..Vanden Bosch
    Campbell……….Levy……….Peterson
    Pacman…..Delmas…….Speivey……Houston

13. By Stein on May 1, 2010 | Reply

If the OL can protect satfford A LITTLE BETTER, they will win some games, I have hope..

14. By aaron on May 2, 2010 | Reply

I was born In Michigan. Now i,m down in Florida. And none of these Floridians believe that the Lions are even close. Any way i,m so looking forward to the 2010 season where the Lions may be able to contend.Due to the fact the Favre case is in limbo, and Jay Cutler in Chicago is a diva that cries , and Aaron Rodgers is always on his back because his o-line blows.

15. By kalen santiago on May 2, 2010 | Reply

y did best choose that ugly number 44 that number is bigger then he is……ihope thats the number of touchdowns hes guuna have

16. By nate on May 3, 2010 | Reply

Suh,Best,Spievey are all going to be studs hopefully, they were all drafted to start the new era of lions football

17. By Lance Manly on May 3, 2010 | Reply

SEVEN 1st round picks in last FIVE Years…

Only three via Matt Villian… Ernie (Gone); Calvin and Godsler.

Schwartz; Stafford, Petigrew, Suh, and Best.

Delmas is eight if you count him; look at his pick either as last pick of 1st round or 1st pick 2nd round.

Last year at this time; only one guy was a “guaranteed” starter; Calvin.

A year later; Calvin (WR), Stafford (QB), Best (RB), Sims (G), Nate Burleson (WR), Scheffler (TE), Pettigrew (TE), Vandenbosch (DE), Suh (DT), Corey Williams (DT), Peterson (LB), DeAndre Levy (MLB), Houston (CB) and Delmas (S)

More than half on both offense and defense… talent is there…

Schwartz proven as great Scouting coach;
    Schwartz proven as great D-Coordinator;

… now can Schwartz be a great Head Coach.

Go Lions!

18. By rick on May 3, 2010 | Reply

the pieces are in place now matthew stafford should have a great year.playoffs are not out of the reach with the choke artists in this division.

19. By i love suh on May 10, 2010 | Reply

Suh and Best are gonna change things in detroit and its going to be a very exciting expersience for everyone except the players who have to go up against him on the field get ready quarterbacks here come Ndamukong

20. By g.r. on May 11, 2010 | Reply

can you say (silver rush?)

21. By Kory on May 12, 2010 | Reply

Husker Nation will continue to follow Suh in Detroit. UPS just delivered my custom Lions T-Shirt with #90 & SUH on the back from NFL.com – I’m a new Lions fan, despite living out West. Now, I just need to get the Lion’s schedule….