Schwartz on Day 2 of Rookie Orientation

Posted by Tara Altman on May 1, 2010 – 5:24 pm

With the second practice of rookie orientation completed, Head Coach Jim Schwartz was able to make some clear distinctions between Day 1 and Day 2 in terms of how players performed.

Having gone through the first day, rookies have a better feel for what’s expected, making less mental errors and feeling more comfortable on the field.

Schwartz: “The guys are a little bit more relaxed and that happens anytime that you start off. The first day they’re overly enthusiastic, trying to impress and don’t know the routine of practice, don’t know all of those different things and where they’re supposed to be. Quite honestly that’s why we do this, so they’re not doing that with the vets when they come back here and we’re able to flow better and work these guys in a little bit more.

“They adjusted in, they know the terminology a little more (and) we had way fewer mental mistakes. There’s definitely a comfort level. You can’t imagine how nervous you’d be if you had something you’ve worked your whole life to do and you finally get there and have that opportunity. That’s a hard process to go through all day yesterday. After they practice, all of a sudden you see football players again.”

One of those players is defensive end Willie Young, who the Lions picked in the seventh round of the draft.

Young: “You kind of settle down a little bit; you’re not so tense. The first day you’re trying to figure out where everything is. The second day comes around, you know (more) and you’re a little bit more comfortable with yourself and your surroundings. You kind of get a little bit of a feel about what the coaches expect.

“We picked the pace up a little bit today – but nothing extreme. It was a good Day 2.”

Tags: ,

19 Responses to “Schwartz on Day 2 of Rookie Orientation”

1. By Don on May 1, 2010 | Reply

I Really like this Draft class. Just as I did last years Draft.I Like Willie Young and hope that this guy can make the TEAM. I know that he needs to work out in the wieght Room and turn more of himself into Muscle.
    and then there is Suh who of coarse is going to be great. Or at least this is what I hope for him and for this TEAM.
    I also hope for the Same for javid Best.
    And then there is the OT Jason Fox. And I am hoping for VERY large Things for HIM With the Fact that if he works out For this TEAM.Watching the footage on This Young Man I believe that we walked away from the Draft With a very Big Steal When it comes to Jason.
    I also like the New CB I wish I was a better speller. Spievy Or something like that ? Anyways another Player that can help out The TEAM.

2. By grandrapidshomebuying on May 1, 2010 | Reply

The office in Detroit has been impressive the past two drafts….really looking forward to watching this group progress…both the front office and the team. Great direction and improving the player personnel ALL of the time. Impressive. Still a ways away, but you can see the consistent direction and unwavering voices from the front……thank you for getting rid of Millen!!!

3. By Don on May 2, 2010 | Reply

It would be Really nice if you would find out who is hitting the MIC all the time when you are TAPEING THE AUDIO.
    At the Press Confrences. Doesn’t that person relize that when you hit or rub on the Mic That it Ruins the sound?
    I thought these reporters were supposed to be professionals?
    The are Hitting it so much and rubbing on it that YOU can’t even hear what’s going on or being said.
    If you could find out I’m SURE that there are a TON of us out here who would be very pleased if you could get them to STOP IT!

4. By Preston R. on May 2, 2010 | Reply

We snatched up DE Hunter who the Packers drafted and never gave a chance after drafting him. If you consider the time Hunter played last season and what he accomplished I’m not sure why you’d invite Davires back with Hunter showing so much promise? Then you got Avril who has a non-stop motor and improving aswell. To me the left DE spot was fine with Hunter,Avril. So we invite Davires back and that seems like solid/average production from LDE. What we needed was a guy to come in and play behind Bosh at the RDE postion but there was none in the draft that late, so why draft another mediocore player to battle out the left DE postion and have to cut somebody when it’s all said and done. If anything Hunter is going to be the guy who seperates himself from the rest of the DE’s playing the left side (Avril,Willy,Davires)! There were other postions of more important need. The only person I want to see get cut out of the situation is Davires if I had to choose, it’s a new begining and it’s time for change.

5. By Lucian Best on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Jahvid Best is the type of player anyone would want in their organization! Humble, hard working, dedicated, and loyal!

6. By Brian on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Mr. Mayhew & Co. have done a very good job turning this team around. A good pass rush will help a very bad secondary. I think this team is staring at a 6-7 win season.

7. By Mark Reynolds on May 2, 2010 | Reply

My hat is off to the brain trust of the Lions. The past two years you have proven time and time again that you know what it takes to turn this team around. I have been a faithful Lions fan all my life but I have to admit it has been a tough strech but I am commited. I think its time to take the North and put the rest of the conference in the back seat. I know that might be asking to much but nobody tries for second place. Good luck guys, I have your back down here in Florida.

8. By Tom Ivezaj on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Great Draft!! i would like to start out sayin Suh is gonna be the next reggie white.. but one weakness on the team that i think needs to be addressed is olb we traded away sims who gonna start there i reallly like caleb cambell but then theres follet as welll but i dont know if there ready to be starters yet i say we look to pick somone up like a clint ingram or adelius thomas.. and SS i dont know if bullocks comming off that injury is the answere there either we need ball hawks playmakers in the secondary exspecially bc the divison we play in these QB’s we eat up are secondary i like spivey, houston what about adding PACMAN!! i dont know your the coach in schwartz i trust GOOO LIONNSS

9. By Tom Ivezaj on May 2, 2010 | Reply

i like the addition of rob sims but i awlays thougth backus was a guard i would of liked to see him move to LG. and give jason fox the oppertunity to play left takle the best experince is playing time all the guys are great athletes you dont make it to the NFL if you cant play we need to believe in this young talent.. jahvid best is unbelievable if we use him right he’ll become the next CJK2 are backfield is loaded im happy with the running backs we have smith, dorsey, brown, but i dont know where that leaves maurice morris at the odd man out?
    i say we make a trade with bears there loaded at safety exspecially adding major wright in the draft i really like craig steltz i think hes a playmaker and starter they didnt use him right or even a kevin payne maybe we wait around they’ll get cut but i doubt it. give them a 5th or 4th rd. pick for steltz and that would be a great duo at safety delmas, steltz

10. By Mike on May 2, 2010 | Reply

I am pretty upset with the trading away of Ernie Sims. I just dont understand what the thought process was. How does he not fit the scheme? He is fast, he loves to hit, and he can cover. What else do you need in a backer???? Plus we lost Foote, and we didnt sign anybody or draft anyone to fill his spot. Hopefully you guys have a plan

11. By richard kallao on May 2, 2010 | Reply

the lions will be cintenders this year with eight wins:) go lions……………………..

12. By Drew on May 2, 2010 | Reply

Yeah they did a hell of job with only 6 picks! If u consider the trades as well, we aquired promising talent: CB Chris Houston, DT Corey Williams, OL Rob Sims, TE Tony Shefflier, QB Shaun Hill & SS Ko Simpson! Plus Draft picks DT Ndamakong Suh, CB Amari Spievey, DE William Young, RB Jahvid Best , OL Jason Fox & WR Tim Toone! 2 CBs, 2 DTs, 2 OLs, TE, SS, RB, QB, DE, WR! Excellent draft! Now we need to address CB & LB situations! I dont know why we dont sign Adam Jones, if not atleast resign Anthony Henry & William James! Cuz right now our CB is pathetic exception to Chris Houston, Amari Spievey & maybe Eric King & Jon Wade! we should sign a LB like Adraulius Thomas (from NE) or Rocky MacIntosh (from DC)

13. By billy boy on May 2, 2010 | Reply

they should turn willie young into a LB

14. By Shane on May 3, 2010 | Reply

Man I am so happy with us picking Suh!!!

15. By BILLO313 on May 4, 2010 | Reply

we shouldve just picked up pacman. i think Detroit would have been a perfect place for him. He, as do the Lions, have alot of people that need to be quieted. Either way, Detroit will be shuttin alot of haters up this year.

16. By Lance Manly on May 10, 2010 | Reply

I glad Lion’s passed on Pacman.

Watched him play at Dallas, nothing special.

More importantly, he is a disruptive force… Schwartz is building a team with good hard workers… don’t need a slacker or problem maker.

… if we got him virtually for free with heavy penalties against his pay for bad behavior… then, he might have been worth the risk.

I am happy he is the Bengals problem.

17. By lancemanly on May 18, 2010 | Reply

Sports Illustrated – Peter King…

Ranks Lions 24th – up 7 positions from last year…

… And they are non-believers!

Go Lions!

18. By lancemanly on May 18, 2010 | Reply

Oh… by the way…

New Orleans was his 24th pick last season!

19. By lancemanly on May 18, 2010 | Reply

Finally…

The Bears are rank 25th on same list…. Lion’s not celler dwellers of NFC North.