Lions Wrap-Up Rookie Orientation

Posted by Tara Altman on May 2, 2010 – 4:32 pm

Today the Lions wrapped-up their three day rookie orientation with a final morning practice and rookies will begin departing this afternoon.

Regardless of whether they’ll be returning to the team’s training and practice facility on May 16, Head Coach Jim Schwartz sent the same message that every player’s effort was appreciated and for each to continue working towards their goal of playing in the NFL.

Schwartz: “No. 1, (I told them) thanks for their effort. We have a lot of different guys here. We have a couple of guys who still haven’t gotten an accredited year, that have come and worked this camp for us. Other guys are drafted players, other guys are signed free agents, other guys are unsigned free agents that were here on an extended tryout. When we got them all together on Thursday we said, ‘The one goal that you all have to have here is to leave here on Sunday a better football player then you came.’

“There are a lot of different circumstances: guys that make it as free agents, guys that don’t make it as draft picks, guys that persevere and I just told them a couple stories about guys that I’ve known that have stood right where they have been standing and have left the building as these guys are leaving today and have gone to have 12- and 14-year NFL careers. There were guys that were unsigned after a camp like this. These guys have worked very hard and we were able to get a lot of work done this weekend.”

For the Lions first round draft selection, defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh, the past few days have better prepared him for where he’s going to fit in once he returns to practice with the veterans.

Suh: “The weekend was good. I learned a lot and that’s what I wanted to come in here and take this weekend to do, just to really learn the scheme and understand what I had to get done and where I’m pretty much going to be placed in their defense. It’s obviously not set in stone and things can always change, but as of right now I have a good idea of where I’m going to be, what I need to get done and what I need to work on when I get these next two weeks off and come back for OTA’s.”

For the full audio from Schwartz’s media session, please click here.
For the full audio from Suh’s media session, please click here.

Tags: ,

12 Responses to “Lions Wrap-Up Rookie Orientation”

1. By Shane on May 3, 2010 | Reply

After seeing Suh on Sports Science, I BELIEVE!!!

2. By Lance Manly on May 3, 2010 | Reply

Suh Best.

I have a great feeling about this season… can’t wait till opening day in Soldier Field; time for a little “Bear Hunting”. It is where the Lions feasted on their last road win; might as well end the drought by defeating Da Bears again.

Enjoy mini-camps and training camp; then strap on the helmets for a great season.

Go Lions!

3. By ryan on May 3, 2010 | Reply

why did you not bring in Lamarcus Coker? If best gets hurt this dude could fill in nicely

4. By jleadfoot on May 4, 2010 | Reply

bring T O to detroit hes a starter you can reley on dependable tough and pro bowler ask stafford if he thinks his numbars would go up hes earned time to chill and hes always a beast for anyteam to take down and someone should look at charles rogers without millen schwartx 2 players see if rogers has cleaned up and still has the speed with T O save a spot

5. By Lance Manly on May 4, 2010 | Reply

Ryan? What?

What the heck kind of thinking is that? Why not bring 53 backups in cause they all might get hurt.

Dang, one thing we don’t need is negative thinking.

Besides, behind Best is last year’s starter Kevin Smith and last years back up Maurice… Lions already added depth to RB with addition of Best.

6. By Don on May 6, 2010 | Reply

I Don’t want to be a Negative thinker Lance, However someone should Tell the New TE Scheffler to watch it in that first game out.
    Because if Cuttler Is Worried About him being one of Staffords Go to guy’s then you can bet that he’ll be trying to get someone to take Scheffler out of the game.
    I am Trully sorry about that Negative outlook on things like that, However, that is the Kind of person that I see when I think about Cuttler and the Bears.
    Chicago HATES the LIONS. And they would do anything to beat us.
    Yes, I believe that they would even hurt guy’s on purpose in order to win.
    Now, I do Not believe that Lovie Smith or Rod Marinelli are like that.
    They just want to win Strait up like your supposed to.
    I would just like to be able to play the Bears and be able to think “This is a strait up Game” But I never ever have. I allways believe that there is dirty Pool going on when we play the Bears.
    And then you have to think that the only coach to give us the worst Season in history Now works for our RIVAL. The Bears. HHHMMMM!
    Was he working for the Bears when he was coaching for us?
    Kinda Makes you go HHHMMM?

7. By Lance Manly on May 6, 2010 | Reply

Where is Suh?

Looking at the team roster; Suh’s not listed?

Why?

8. By Lance Manly on May 6, 2010 | Reply

None of the rookies are on the roster…

They were a week ago… guess they pulled them off for some reason…

I know none have signed; nor will they for another month.

9. By Don on May 8, 2010 | Reply

Today one of the Articles was about Cory Wlilliams.
    I am TOTALY excited About Cory Williams and Can’t wait to see this man in action. I am hoping for this Man to have a REAL BREAKOUT YEAR!
    It is exciting to have a dude on your TEAM that has it. That Ability to Totaly Dominate our oponants and Make thier RBs and QBs feel th fear of him comming after them.
    And NOW with this TEAM we have three Men that canput that fear into the hearts of our oponants.
    Cory Williams,Kyle Vanden Bosch,And Ndomukong Suh.
    Cory has to Know that he has a very big oppertunity to to become one of the most domanate DL in the League
    And that my Friends is going to be very exciting to watch.

10. By Don on May 10, 2010 | Reply

I was reading an Article By one of the writers at the National Football Post.
    And He was Saying That With our New Running Back Javid Best That the other TEAMS would be able to get to stafford because Javid wouldn’t be Ready to help out With Blocking and Protecting Mathew.
    I just want you guy’s to be aware that The other TEAMS are looking forward to using this as a way to Sack Mathew and are counting on the Fact that javid will not be ready or remember that it is his job to protect mathew.
    I just Found it Funny that this Writer Who Obviously Wants to see Our QB get sacked Felt that it was his job to figuire out how to get to our QB and to let the other Teams in our division Know about the Little Secret.

11. By Lance Manly on May 10, 2010 | Reply

Don’t worry about that; Best not being able to block for Stafford… that disadvantage is out wieghed dramatically by the threat of Best offensively.

The other teams will have to slow down to ensure Best doesn’t have the ball; if he can’t block well, then screen passes work… wiff on purpose catch short pass and take it 20-40yrds down field.

Also, additions like Nate and Scheffler are going to put preasure on the LB’s and CB’s to cover short and long passes.

I see Stafford throwing less, cause won’t be behind by 20+ points, and when he does throw; more open recievers.

12. By Lance Manly on May 14, 2010 | Reply

Guess the posts are getting screened now…

Okay… guess that is what “Report This Post” link was designed to handle… but whatever.