Rookies Report to Offseason Program

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on May 17, 2010 – 3:03 pm

This week marks the first that the 2010 Detroit Lions draft class will work with their veteran teammates.

Rookies checked in and participated in on-field workouts on Monday and will take part in their first OTA tomorrow.

Detroit’s first selection in this year’s draft, defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh, had this to say about working his way into the defensive system at the outset of Rookie Orientation:

“When you get back on that field, it’s all about football. It’s whatever you do in between those white lines. Obviously my learning curve is going to be a lot faster than what it was in college being a freshman coming in here being a rookie.

“So my mindset is just to pick it up as quickly as I can and then learn what I have to get done and get it done.”

Detroitlions.com will have full coverage of tomorrow’s OTA day in Allen Park.

44 Responses to “Rookies Report to Offseason Program”

1. By Lance Manly on May 17, 2010 | Reply

Suh!

Be great to see them together for first time, KVB and Suh.

That D-line has potential to Restore the Roar and earn a name; like the Lion’s Fearsome Foursome did.

Can hardly wait till preseason… Go Lions!

2. By Lucian Best on May 17, 2010 | Reply

Jahvid Best baby!!!

3. By mdetc on May 17, 2010 | Reply

Lance, I could very well be mistaken (old age is catching up with my memory), but wasn’t the Fearsome Foursome associated with the Vikings or Cowboys several years ago? Either way, your point is well taken to “Restore The Roar”. I’m trying to limit my expectations, but at the same time, it is almost impossible to not get pumped up with the new guys on our D-Line……

Lions Fan 4 Life

4. By Tufflynx on May 17, 2010 | Reply

The 1962 Detroit Lions featured a defensive line that was nicknamed “The Fearsom Foursome. But the name was also used by the NY Giants, San Diego Chargers, and the Los Angeles Rams. You are probably thinking of “The Purple People Eaters” from the Vikings teams with Alan Page and Carl Eller.

5. By Detroit_Lions_4_Life on May 17, 2010 | Reply

i am definitely excited about this years team. i’m not expecting playoffs, but i do see us very capable of winning more games than we have in a while. I really like how coach S is building our defense, because one of the basic fundamentals of american football: DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS…GO LIONS!

6. By RYANO on May 17, 2010 | Reply

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO STAFFOOOORRDDDDDD

7. By Denny Petfield on May 17, 2010 | Reply

If this new D-line comes alive like most all of us Lions fans are hoping for, they could be “Heavy Metal”. It would go along with those great lines from the 50′s and 60′s and when Motown was putting out some great muscle cars Just a thought

8. By Robbie on May 17, 2010 | Reply

Let’s go Lions – this will be a fun team to watch this season.

9. By windsorlions on May 17, 2010 | Reply

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to:navigation, search
    The “Fearsome Foursome” was a title first used in reporting American Professional Football, when referring to the dominating defensive lines of the San Diego Chargers of the American Football League in the early 1960s, the New York Giants, Detroit Lions and most widely, the Los Angeles Rams of the 1960s and 1970s.
    Detroit Lions
    The nickname “Fearsome Foursome” was later used to describe the 1962 Detroit Lions line of Roger Brown, Alex Karras, Darris McCord, and Sam Williams.

10. By njones on May 17, 2010 | Reply

MDETC, Old age has caught and passed you!!!!! Fearsome Foursome: 1. Roger Brown 2. Alex Karras. 3.Daris McCord. 4. Sam Williams.

11. By Jeremy on May 17, 2010 | Reply

Who is expected to take those starting CB jobs? We obviously have anchored our defense with our defensive line, but our corners are gonna have a helluva rough time this year…Chris Houston seems to be a formidable player with his youth and speed, but who else would start? Amari Spievey??

12. By bryan on May 17, 2010 | Reply

the fearsome 4some was the LA Rams back in the days of Decon Jones and that one dt who just died (sorry his name escapes me)

13. By Jeremiah on May 17, 2010 | Reply

You can’t quell the excitement… I know we are just starting OTA’s but being a lifetime Lions fan like I know most of you are, there has not been much to write home about lately! I LOVED the Delmas pick last year, Sammie Hill has potential, and if Avril can produce on the other end, our defense has the potential to be a brick wall! Our front 4 have the “potential” to become among the best in the league. If Bullocks is healthy then we have a solid safety. Only concern is our two starting corner positions and weak side linebacker. I am VERY optimistic!

14. By Maned 1 on May 17, 2010 | Reply

Yes I . At last that blessed day has come ! We shall look them ALL in thier eyes
    and they will know fear such as NEVER before. . . . . GET THEM . No QB is safe anymore when facing this unit. I LOVE this !

15. By Ken S. on May 17, 2010 | Reply

Forget Fearsome Foursome. Used and abused far too often. We need something new. “Motown Maulers”, “Motor City Manglers”, “Detroit Dominators”, “Detroit Ndominators”, Then my mind goes blank, but I am sure someone out there can come up with the perfect name.

16. By Big Buck on May 17, 2010 | Reply

I would love them to win 8 games for a change. They have drafted well and now its time to go out and make it happen on the field not on paper. Sue is gong to take a while to adjust to pro speed and we still can’t stop anybody in secondary. Just let Stafford go out and wing it and put up some points.

17. By wanted on May 17, 2010 | Reply

all i keep hearing is we have “potential”. but for a 2 n 14 team weve got weaknesses. for example. if we play minnisota they got rice, berian, n harvin. who is our third cb?. thats a matchup nightmare. also wen ernie left r defence became worse. and also do u guys actually think that backus wil b able to keep peppers. allen. mathews. off of stafford for 6 games?. suh might b a good player but now sammie is on the bench n u slowin his progres.

18. By Bret on May 17, 2010 | Reply

I am very happy with what the Lions are finally doing. I will continue to cheer for them as I have for my entire life. Other than the 0-16 season under Rod Marinelli/Millenitus, I have attended many games at the Silverdome/Ford Field every season. I plan on going to at least 4 of them this season. Keep the core of our team healthy and we will wreck some teams this season. I think not this season, but the season after we will compete for our division. I’ll be at plenty of games Restoring the Roar.

19. By Preston on May 17, 2010 | Reply

I like the fact that we took Suh and I believe he’s everything as advertised as a college player. Problem is I actually liked McCoy better then Suh because of his speed, DT’s that have strength as their gift usually don’t dominate in the NFL because everyone else is stronger then the players they faced in college. I don’t think Suh will be a bust! I think our Dline will be extremely better, but NOT because of “just” Suh. DT Corey Williams will be a major contributor in a 4-3, he’s a hog and he should help Suh be great, but I don’t think Suh could shine without someone like Williams next to him. If Suh can’t shine without someone like Corey Williams next to him or possibly only shows an average skill set for a DT in his rookie season, he’s a bust. If he can’t produce in his rookie season with the guys we have on out Dline he’ll never show anything.

20. By Don on May 17, 2010 | Reply

I am not trying to FEED all you guy’s cornbread or get you to drink Kool-aid.
    However if everything Gels with the Rookies and Vets and this TEAM gets All the Plays down and Really knows what they are doing, AND if Everyone would stay healthy.
    And If We would somehow pickup some Good Backup in a few more positions.
    I believe that this TEAM Has enough Talent That we could actually make a run for the playoffs right now.
    All I am saying is that it is not impossible. I’m not going to try and sell anyone on it’s a sure thing or anything like that However we do have the Talent to be able to do it.
    NOW, That would mean that EVERYTHING would have to go just about perfect.
    Like I was saying, It would mean that allmost everyone would have to stay healthy and Every Player would HAVE to know that playbook like the back of his hand. And in time These Player’s will know it like the back of thier hand if they want to ever win the SuperBowl.
    Being that The Rookies Have to get the Playbook down and the Fact that we do not have Depth in a lot of our positions and everything, it will probably take another year or so.
    BUT,Not necessarily!
    WE DO have the Talent. NOW it is JUST the Matter of getting everyone IN sinc with each other and getting everyone Totally on the SAME page.
    In Fact Except for Depth and everyone getting to know and execute ALL the plays Without ANY Penalties. WE ARE as good as any TEAM in our Division.
    And I Totally Believe that if not this year (and if everything Goes ok and there are NO HUGE Setbacks) That Next year we will Own this Division and WE will be the TEAM to take this division.
    AND I for one am Praying that the LORD is Willing to Allow that to Happen.
    Because I know and I hope that most of us do. That we can do all that we can do However We still need the LORDS Blessing.
    So, LORD Bless this TEAM! The Players ,Owner,Fans and Foes.
    It could Happen this year. I’m not saying that it will BUT, I am saying that it could.
    GO LIONS!

21. By phsyco on May 17, 2010 | Reply

we need to pick up anderson( the guard from the eagles that ppl seem 2 forget) and trade for merrimen follet wont do for now we also should’ve signed pacman but since that went through we need another corner p.s. when did we get a forum on this site

22. By DaLionRoarIsComin on May 17, 2010 | Reply

I can’t wait until the 2010 Detroit Lion season because I have a feeling that the defense will be revamped with the key additions of KVB, Suh, and Williams on the D-Line and Houston holding down the secondary. Also on offense we finally got some more fire power to compliment Calvin with players such as Best, Burleson, and Tony. With the addition of Sims and Fox, our offensive line should create running lanes for our backs as well as give Mathew time to get the ball down the field…

Bring the ROAR back to Mo-Town…..LETS GO LIONS

23. By scott on May 17, 2010 | Reply

all i know is that if best is as fast as we think he is and we run a 50/50 pass rush than calvin will b open on the long ball and every one who watches knows that if he dont have to break stride it is a touch down 4 sure so as lont as stafford learned to arch the ball we might b able to make a run for the playoffs with our new defense holding them

24. By Hamadybrother on May 17, 2010 | Reply

Playoffs seems just a little too optimistic, would love to see it but just seems like you’ve bumped your head. D-fence should be better, but think about how bad it was for two years, giving up near NFL record point totals. Better is relative. Passer rating of 107+ against.

Can be better, but playoffs?

I will be happy with improvement on O, D and ST – that should lead to 4-6 more wins. Win more than half our home games – be a tough defender of the home stadium.

I want to see Calvin, Delmas and Suh make the Pro-Bowl .. that would indicate that we had improved and our stars were productive. Want to see Stafford throw for 25 TD’s and 12 or fewer INTs.

25. By Mike on May 17, 2010 | Reply

The DLine is solid, but the secondary scares me a lot. I know we have a lot of names on the roster, but I prefer quality over quantity. The O line is still a major issue as well. At this point, I would be very suprised if we get more than 4 wins this year. Not so much because of the team, because we are improving, but moreso because of the schedule. It’s brutal. Would love to see us trade a late round pick for Justin Smiley of the Dolphins. He could beat out any of the guards on the roster at this time. If he hits free agency there is no way he comes to the D. Late round pick for Smiley and a mid round pick and Gos for Gaither. Backus to RT. O Line is fixed and we might win 6 games this year.

26. By Bill on May 17, 2010 | Reply

Don’t forget the SILVER SACK ATTACK. Wasn’t that with Al “Bubba” Baker and others?

27. By Cory on May 18, 2010 | Reply

Everyone sounds really optimistic and that’s good but let’s not forget there is still a long rosd ahead.. the o-line still needs help. We need some depth at cb and special teams is still a disaster.

28. By Craig on May 18, 2010 | Reply

I think our schedule is brutal as well, but I still think we can pull out 8 wins and/or possibly make the playoffs with some luck. No, its not impossible! Our offense is built to scores points and our defense is well on its way to shutting other teams down. When you put it all together, its a formula for success! MAYHEW AND SHWARTZ FOR PRESIDENT IN 2012!!!!

29. By Chris on May 18, 2010 | Reply

GO SUUUUUUUHHHHH!! We will miss you in Nebraska Suh. Restore the roar.

30. By Joe Eisermam on May 18, 2010 | Reply

Byron- The name that escapes you is Merlin Olsen

31. By lancemanly on May 18, 2010 | Reply

Mdetc: The history is; the Giants in 1957 were called “A Fearsome Foursome”;

Then in 1961 the San Diego Chargers were called “Fearsome Foursome”

Detroit Lions in 1962 was also calle the Fearsome Foursome” with Roger Brown, Alex Karras (still future HOF’er), Darris McCord and Sam Williams.

The final Fearsome Foursome team was the Los Angeles Rams of 1963.

But, this D-Line can Restore the Roar and nickname

32. By BILLO313 on May 18, 2010 | Reply

I think this will be a very pivotal year for Detroit Lions football. I cant wait to watch this new defense terrorize the division. Obviously we are being counted out due to our track record… but that makes it all the better when we leave them on the field wondering what the *#%@ just hit em!!!!

33. By lancemanly on May 18, 2010 | Reply

The corner backs are an improvement over last year.

Losses;
    Buchannon – average or slightly above average…
    Henry – can hit, but can’t cover.

Gains;
    Young and Speedy CB’s
    2007 – 2nd Round Pick – Chris Houston (Starter for Atlanta ’09) 4.4 speed
    2007 – 3rd Round Pick – Jonathan Wade (Rams ’09) 4.3 speed
    2008 – 4th Round Pick – Jack Williams (9 out of 10 in man coverage)
    2008 – Johnathan Hefney -undrafted. CFL Eastern Division ROY & All Star
    2009 – Jahi Word-Daniels-undrafted.
    2010 – 3rd Round Pick – Amari Spievey 4.4 speed
    2010 – Aaron Berry – 4.3 high (Penn pro day) 4.4 combine

Veterans
    Dante Wesley – Big Hitter; Special Teams – Possible move to Safety

From 2009
    Eric King – Coming back from injury

What I see, is a good CB; Chris Houston, and a pletheria of SPEEDY, YOUNG and UNPROVEN talent…

Just need 1 starter and a nickle from this group; combined with a Great pass rush and Lion’s will have a good to great secondary for a long time to come.

Go Lions!

34. By lancemanly on May 18, 2010 | Reply

Sports Illustrated – Peter King…

Ranks Lions 24th – up 7 positions from last year…

… And they are non-believers!

Go Lions!

New Orleans was ranked 24th last season; same guy…

Bears are ranked 25th on same list… Lion’s not the celler dwellers of NFC North

35. By Orlando on May 18, 2010 | Reply

may be wishful thinking but would still LOVE Albert Haynesworth to once again team up with KVB and teach the young padawan SUH. That would be my Football prayers answered

36. By shane lemcool on May 18, 2010 | Reply

All i have to say id this the new defensive line is gonna be a huge change from years past and on top of that the fearsome foursome was not origional it was lame cause so many people used it there name should be THE PRIDE i am tellin you that ours boys will make the playoffs this and will finish no less then 9 and 7thay do have a pretty tough schedule which is another thing that pisses me off cause of the schedule strength everyone expects them to fail but none the less we gonna shock the league this year VB <SUH< HILL< AND AVRIL WILL BE VERY DOMINANT THIS YEAR AND FOR YEARS TO COME NOT TO MENTION THE LINEBACKERS AND SECONDARY HAS BEEN SIGNIFICANTLY STRENGTHENED THIS OFF SEASONWITH THE ADDITION OF BEST AND BURLESON WE ARE GONNA BE HARD TO STOP THIS YEAR WATCH AND SEE …..SUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHH DEFENSIVE ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

37. By Quinton on May 19, 2010 | Reply

I think the lions still should look in free agency and they still have carlos rogers and fabian washington two average corners that have experience and talent also they should sure up linebacker position with Keith Bulluck or a possible trade for Shawne Merriman or Adalius Thomas who was released who in free Agency

38. By detroit lions all the way on May 19, 2010 | Reply

On how far the lions go will depend on Matt Stafford and if all the db’s and lb’s are on the same page and can play as one.

39. By sampapi3 on May 19, 2010 | Reply

As a long time lions fan I was always fond of one nickname that was always original with the lions that no one seem to bringup and it was used during the 70s for the lions defensive line. The SILVER RUSH It was the best and most original nick name that I knew of and was never used to my knowledge by another team,lets restore the roar eith the return of the SILVER RUSH!!!

40. By Don on May 23, 2010 | Reply

The O-LINE is much improved from last year also. With Simms and this new kid that we picked up Jason Fox, this kid is a lot better than what has been written about him. If you check out some of this kids video of him on the line on Miami you can see what a differance this kid could make. So Gosder better get his behind in gear or this kid might take his job. He can make holes in that line like he is cutting butter. And with the Guard position’s filled? And Backus was never really the problem. I used to blame him myself, However I now believe that a lot of those missed blocks came from other;s not picking up thier men like the FB’s let a lot of sacks happen that shouldn’t have. And we are looking to make that better also. AT least we are aware of what is happening now and can make a change.
    This TEAM Has improved the LINES by a long shot and we are going to win on the road too! When and if you are going from bad to good you win the away games as much as the home games. So we are going to win some of those also and maybe all you never know. This is the NFL!

41. By Don on May 23, 2010 | Reply

P.S. A game is a game no matter where it is played. Home or away. WE should be ready no matter weather it be here or away.
    WE can win on other TEAMS turfs. If we want to win the SuperBowl we better learn how to win away too! Because the SuperBowl is an away game.
    If this TEAM is going to win we can’t fear anything not the away games, not TEAMS that everyone says we can’t win against not anything.
    If this TEAM gets Totaly gets in sinc and everyone on this TEAM get’s that one common goal we can win against any and all other TEAMS no matter what the situation. This TEAM is equal to any that we play against. All we have to do is be BETTER THAN the other TEAMS.
    And this TEAM can be.
    LIONS!

42. By mdetc on Jun 3, 2010 | Reply

@Lancemanly……… Well buddy, I am back to admit that you were right…. I was reading something on Lions HOFers a couple days ago and the article mentioned Alex Karras and the “Fearsome Foursome”. I knew I had better come back here and give you some props. I actually do remember Alex Karras. He was my very first Lions hero, but I was only about 10 years old at the time…..Anyways, “Fearsome Fousome” or “Restore the Roar”, will both be good enough for me…….. Have a good day, buddy…….

43. By jerome!!! Det.mich..2nd n 3rd st. on Jul 26, 2010 | Reply

well football world!!! News flash the detroit lions will exceed any and everybody expectation,also if we ten yard.emb, to nohuddle and toss more wideouts,throw long on more firstdowns problem solved…… Won-11 and lost? U do the math… Gooooo lionnnnnns….

44. By Billy #20 on Aug 14, 2010 | Reply

I agree with sampapi3. I am a long time Lions fan, and am very fond of the Lion teams of the early 80′s. The Lions defensive line was called the “SILVER RUSH”!! That defensive line, one of the most underrated of all time,was composed of Al “Bubba” Baker, Doug English, Dave Pureifory, and William Gay. Those guys were wrecking balls and Bubba Baker recorded an incredible 23 sacks, IN A SINGLE SEASON!!!! Let’s bring back the nickname of THE SILVER RUSH in honor of now deceased and underrated, Dave Pureifory. I think the players of Suh, Cliff Avril, Kyle VandenBosch, Williams, and Sammy Hill. Let’s Restore the Roar and bring back the name SILVER RUSH from the archives!!