Lions’ Rookies and Vets Participate in OTA

Posted by Tara Altman on May 18, 2010 – 8:08 pm

Today the Lions held their sixth organized team activity (OTA) day, the first in which Lions’ rookies participated with the veterans.

Among the rookies present were first-round draft selections defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh and running back Jahvid Best.

Head Coach Jim Schwartz was pleased with what he saw on the field, but doesn’t want to make any judgments until the pads are on.

Schwartz: “It’s a non-contact organized team activity; let’s not judge them on what they did today. Their heads were swimming a little bit just coming in. They came in late Sunday night, got here yesterday, went through a workout, went through a run and then all of a sudden got (to this). I think they realized that they thought they were far along at rookie camp and then realized how far they have to go still. Both guys obviously showed why we drafted them, just running around athletically and things like that. There’s a reason that we drafted them and you’re not going to see anything other than that in mini-camp and offseason program days like this.”

For full audio of Schwartz, click here.

For Suh, today was a chance to get a feel for what practice is like at the professional level, working with the veterans at a faster pace.

Suh: “It was definitely good. I liked being with the vets, getting a true feeling for what the next level is like and really being able to see what true practice is going to be like.

“(Stephen) Peterman is definitely a vet; he knows what he’s doing and really knows this offense. Going against him, who I primarily went against today, he definitely has quick feet, (he’s a) strong guy and he’s more schooled in being able to pick up on things. You can’t give off little tips like you did in college, you have to really disguise your stuff because they start to pick up on things and those tendencies that you do. They’re a lot more schooled in that area, strength wise; do I feel like I can push him around? Not necessarily, but I think I’m strong enough to beat him to the quarterback, or I wouldn’t be at this level.”

For full audio of Suh, click here.

Best felt confident coming in today in terms of knowing the playbook, but still had some first day nerves when he took to the practice field.

Best: “It was exciting. I was a little nervous to start, but once we got into the roll of things, the game started slowing down a little bit. I got a good grasp of the playbook, so I wasn’t really worried mentally and it was just fun out there, just being with the guys. The running back group is great, they’re kind of like my big brothers right now, teaching me the ropes and everything. It’s been fun so far.”

For full audio of Best, click here.

Tags: , ,

32 Responses to “Lions’ Rookies and Vets Participate in OTA”

1. By Robbie on May 18, 2010 | Reply

lets go boy’s

2. By lancemanly on May 18, 2010 | Reply

Depth at Running back… when is the last time Lion’s could say that…

Basically, Lion’s now have two #1 RB’s; definately they will combine for over 1,000 yards this season.

Suh… what else is there to say… Let’s get it started!

Ready to Roll in Motor City!

3. By Chris on May 18, 2010 | Reply

PLEASE KEEP THEM COMING…..the articless, for the first OTA for vet and rookiest.

Really enjoy the website.ILions fan all the way in Houstonm TX. When will the practices be open to the public?

4. By Rodney Crowell on May 19, 2010 | Reply

Love the team website coverage of OTAs! No one at FOX or ESPN has a clue as to what the Lions can do this season. Czarnecki on FOX is saying the Bears offseason stunk, yet they will “barely” finish ahead of the Lions in third. Keep flying under the radar guys–then kick some Bear b*** on Sept. 12 !

5. By Anthony on May 19, 2010 | Reply

LETS GO LIONS!!!!!!!WERE GOING TO TAKE THE NFC NORTH ALL THIS TALENT HAS TO ADD UP TO A WINNER

GO LIONS

6. By Jordan on May 19, 2010 | Reply

Go lions
    by the way schwarts is rebuilding this team
    they are going to go from 0-16 to 16-0

7. By det2020 on May 19, 2010 | Reply

I havent felt this good about the direction of the lions since 1989.

8. By Nick McCuiston on May 19, 2010 | Reply

Let’s back up our talk with some game this season. 8-8!!!

9. By Kevin B. on May 19, 2010 | Reply

The Lions hold some of the most weirdest records. I always tell all of my friends that when the Lions finally go to the BIG DANCE, they will win, get a true taste of that sweet smell of victory, and be the first NFL team to win 3 Super Bowls in a row. So, go and kick some butt this year guys. We’ve been waiting a very long time since the last championship.

10. By Maned 1 on May 19, 2010 | Reply

Yes I ! Now it’s all I can do to wait til summer’s over, and fall comes bringing the cold again lolz . . . BUT freel tho, WE as lifelong fans that have NEVER been able for one reason or another to afford season tix, BUT still live and die on EVERY snap of that football when you men are there with us on Sundays, I know that the trend of being an underachieivng squad gas ended . And, as we speak, The transformation has begun. I personally know that it’s a lot further along than many believe.. . . .

11. By xyu022 on May 19, 2010 | Reply

I hate to say this but I’m really looking forward to this season. The reason I hate to say it is because they always let me down but I like the new direction and management we have & all the off-season moves via free agency & the draft. Let’s go lions!

12. By Craig on May 19, 2010 | Reply

Shwartz, just keep doing what you do. Spotting talent and bringing them to The Motor City……….I fully trust in all of your decision making as a die-hard Detroit Lions Fan!!!! MAYHEW AND SHWARTZ FOR PRESIDENT IN 2012!!!!!

13. By married 2 the Lions on May 19, 2010 | Reply

We still need a linebacker and one more DB, some o-line depth and d-line depth. We headed in the right direction and when was the last time we could say that? I like Schwartz and Mayhew is slowly earning my respect. Good draft two years in a row. Calvin Johnson is poised for a breakout year.

14. By BILLO313 on May 19, 2010 | Reply

the lions of 2010 will be a beast to reckon with. stafford will have a great year and the defense will crack skulls. i love the burleson pick-up, and sheffler too. we are only getting better and with all the new acquisitions, we should makle a post season appearance. die hard lions fan. lets go fellas!!!!

15. By Arthur on May 19, 2010 | Reply

Too many people drinkin the kool-aid as usual. I am a die hard fan as well and while they are definitely making strides and finally adding some key pieces to move forward with they have a long ways to go to be considered a respectable defense let alone making a post season appearance. Considering our secondary woes and all the weapons in Minny and Green Bay I see it as virtually impossible to make a playoff run for at least another 2 years. Here is to a staff finally moving us in the right direction though!

16. By DTHSTAR on May 19, 2010 | Reply

GO LIONS!!!!!!!!! You guys have alot of fans here in Tucson!! I can’t wait to see Suh/Williams/Vandenbosh crush Farve into the dirt! If he’s not in the turf, he will be lobing one up for Delmas!!! Great moves in the off season and the draft! I will be flying to Dallas to see a win!!!! ROOAARRRRR!

17. By Reese on May 19, 2010 | Reply

The lions are looking good. I thiink they will make the post season. They’re not getting alot of credit in the NFC North but come game time they’ll show everyone. Go Lions “Restore the Roar”

18. By Keith on May 19, 2010 | Reply

Let’s get real, we learned to walk last year, expect us to run thisyear by having an above 500 season. Be patient this year and happy with a winning season. Now next year it will be a whole different season one that we haven’t seen since the days of Billy Sims. Go Lions.

Life long dedicated fan

19. By Bruce on May 20, 2010 | Reply

I think postseason hopes are a little too much. I think we go 6-10 at best this season. But thats alright. We still need time to grow. We are a young time with some pretty glaring weaknesses despite our excellent offseason. Come 2011 though, when we have another free agency to fill the LB, CB, and OL voids, thats when playoffs will be in our grasps. LETS GO LIONS

20. By dashawn on May 20, 2010 | Reply

I cant wait till the season start alot my friends been hating on my boy but we looking great in this offseason wit our picks and pick-ups so lets get it LIONS.

21. By jwilliams621 on May 22, 2010 | Reply

This year will be the most exciting since baby retired I am looking forward to seing the best running game we have had in a long time and to see how the new additionas in the offseason will change the defensive attitude in detroit this is the first year in a long time that I can say with confidence that we are a team to look out for because if you dont we will catch them sliippin and I dont think they want to get hit by Big Suh when they dont expect it . OHHHHH Boy we gonna knock some heads off this year!!!!!!!!!!

22. By djdan on May 22, 2010 | Reply

Lets not be hasty fellas, this team has not proved anything yet. i do see a close to .500 season, but postseason is a stretch. “IF” they make the playoffs I’ll eat my words, but lets not forget this team has not had the chance on field to prove to us they can do it. I love the draft picks and the free agent acquisitions are a definite improvement. we should field a better team on both side of the ball, but until game 4 or 5, we still don’t know what to expect. Die hard lions fan here and will be for my lifetime, i want to see a winner and someday see that Lombardi trophy here in D-town. But I won’t let myself believe anything, until I see it!

23. By kenny on May 22, 2010 | Reply

the lions have been the underdogs for too long and we always had the people but this season we will show them all. johnson is unstopable and withh all the other tools we have can you say super bowl baby yea go lions

24. By kelly on May 22, 2010 | Reply

the lions are getting better but still have a looong way to go.
    I just hope for more improvement in year two.
    Go lions and I can already hear the roar

25. By Travis Hardy on May 23, 2010 | Reply

Iwould feel better if we would have keeped Larry Foot Amd Ernie Sims We get Good players but we dont keep the other ones we already have

26. By DEEETROIT Sportsfan on May 23, 2010 | Reply

All, I am in agreement this is the most optimistic I’ve been in a long time. on defense, Kieth V, Suh, and others will make our ‘D’ very respectable. on the offensive side, the rookie @ RB, Burleson, and of course Megatron CJ, will provide some pop…big question will the O-Line show up every sunday!!!

27. By Greg on May 24, 2010 | Reply

From an Australian, Diehard! Detroit Lions Fan..

Go! you good thing!

28. By Lance Manly on May 25, 2010 | Reply

Read the article on Hill; a guy that is 330 and 6’4″ and has been kind of over shadowed by our three big changes to the D-Line (KVB, Suh, Corey)…

Hill was looking forward to being 1 on 1 this year. Last year he was doubled most of the time.

Imagine that, Corey, Suh and KVB all easily could require double teams and now what do you do with Hill? I mean the opponents may need 8 players to double team everyone!

The D-Line is going to be awesome this year; you can’t double everyone; so teams will start by doubling a player or two; once other D-Line mean in 1 on 1 start making plays then the double’s will switch and the originally double guy will get his turn to make plays.

This should be our best D-Line since the Fearsome Foursome.

Go Lions!

29. By deezy on May 25, 2010 | Reply

The lions are looking impressive this off-season, but they’ve also had great off-season’s in the past, they have had great preseason records etc. Their going to have to get another big name to that defense or offense in order for me to be truly impressed. the lions also need to incorporate some play action into their offense and have JB go to work! LETS GO DETROIT!

30. By Aaron on May 31, 2010 | Reply

what do you think of picking up a guy like L.White or leron mcclain for a little goal line help? the lions seem like they will have trouble with all there small backs.

31. By T.N.E. on Jul 15, 2010 | Reply

Great observation Suh, glad your here! We like Petermans history, we know he can perform. Fourth in the NFC conference for allowed sacks(if our scheme recognition is fairly on point) is an issue. So is that the problem with out O-Line, we’re not as strong or strong enough? Let’s us know! I actually like our O-Line, but there’s been talk of a lacking since Barry. We have gotten a lot better then outsider’s know, so let’s go. This season (on paper) in the division, we shouldn’t be second in allowed sacks, and our running backs should average a good 3 to 4 yard’s a carry.

Question: How is our getting off the snap for run play’s?

32. By Jacky Humphrey on Sep 28, 2010 | Reply

Lions I have been all over this Blog game trying to get discoverd like a rap artist trying to seek a new music deal. I am the dude who keeps on raving about this magical playbook that will take the NFL by storm. Now I can go any where with this playbook but only the Lions have a big enough stage for me to Play on. After we win the Super Bowl this year with this playbook Movie deals talk show interviews and books will the story of this playbook and the Lions taking a chance on an NFL fan. Contact me humphreyjacky@yahoo.com