Delmas Glad to See the Rookie Class On the Field

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on May 25, 2010 – 10:20 pm

“First and foremost, just having numbers out here adding in the rookies makes it a lot easier for guys who take a lot of reps. Also having guys like Vanden Bosch and Wade and Chris Houston out there – guys who have been in the league before and know the game – makes it a lot easier on young guys like me because I don’t have to think as much. Just having them taking a leadership role as well as myself brings a lot more excitement to the game.

“The guys in my group want to learn. They want to be here. Like I said, they’ve played the game for a long time already. That just makes it that much easier for me. I guess the most important thing is: they’re good guys.

“They’re not just football players who come on the field, do their job and don’t communicate. That’s what makes my job easier. Just having those guys in the room, coming in, stepping in with a clean head and clean slate is great.

“Obviously the players we drafted are going to help us out tremendously this year, especially with Best back there running the ball. He’s a very small, scatty back, but he’s very powerful and fast. We need a guy like that.

“The DB we’ve got, Spievey, he’s going to be a very important factor for us because we were low on numbers last year. We ran through maybe 20 DBs. Just having somebody that’s drafted that we know will be here for awhile and hopefully stays healthy is something I’m very excited about.

“It’s funny because today I told the two rookies to go get some Gatorade and I was singing the song mocking them. I remember when I was a rookie. But, technically, I’m still a rookie. I guess they have this thing where you’re a rookie up until your third game of the season in your second year. So I guess I’ve got three more games left. After that, I won’t be a rookie anymore.

“So, since I still consider myself a rookie, I treat them accordingly. I try to give them the insight on what and what not to do as far as being a rookie. You’re going to have to carry people’s helmets in. That’s something they trusted me with last year – carrying everybody’s helmets in. I’m not going to do that to them.

“So the biggest thing is we will probably go out to eat and I’ll just show them a good time. Try to show them that they’re loved.”

Posted in Uncategorized | 38 Comments »

38 Responses to “Delmas Glad to See the Rookie Class On the Field”

1. By ferg1975 on May 25, 2010 | Reply

So glad to have a guy like Delmas in the secondary for the Lions. One way to combat the negative cloud that has hung over the franchise forever is to have a guy who is a vocal optimist and leader on the team, glad to hear from the other vets that they enjoy playing with him too, now go Lions!

2. By Brian Ballard on May 25, 2010 | Reply

Your the man Delmas! Not only were you a huge sign of hope last year but you save the team constantly in madden 10. Cannot wait to see what you can do with some backup this year.

3. By sweetdv on May 26, 2010 | Reply

lions need morew payers like delmas..have a good year

4. By romano on May 26, 2010 | Reply

Delmas,,,,Your a class act! Keep the faith in your team and they will follow and I promise; so will the fans. Thank you….brother in arms.

5. By Erik on May 26, 2010 | Reply

Delmas is the man. Go Lions!

6. By Robert on May 26, 2010 | Reply

L.D!!….. Your not only my favorite player on Detroit but one of my favorite defensive players in the league. Dont be so worried about being a leader but be worried to make plays. The best leadership is through example.

7. By Adrian on May 26, 2010 | Reply

Guts, strength and brains only get you so far… Dedication, planning and persistence wins wars. Seems like the new Lions might have it all. I’ve been skeptic of buying any jersey other than #20 for 20 years… Well this week I bought a #26!!! p.s. I live in ALBUQUERQUE, NEW MEXICO. I’m the ONLY fan out here, but I’m also the LOUDEST!!! GO LIONS!!!

8. By Craig on May 26, 2010 | Reply

The same goes for This Guy!!! You’re well on your way fellas!!! MAY THE SHWARTZ BE WITH YOU!!!!

9. By Scott Maurer on May 26, 2010 | Reply

You are a very good guy Louis! I just can’t wait to see your mean side come out when you are sacking Favre, picking off Cutler, or stripping the ball out of Peterson’s small hands! Best of luck to you sir!

10. By ready2roar on May 26, 2010 | Reply

I love this young man’s promise and what he brings to the team in the form of enthusiasm, confidence and leadership. Louis got robbed when “Cushie” won DROY (2ce), but it’s o.k., Delmas will go to the Pro Bowl repeatedly, while Cushing’s year was a fluke (a steroid fueled fluke) like Forte’s rookie year. We’ve got the better man and we know it! GET READY TO ROAR TILL YOUR THROATS ARE SORE (and they can’t make fun of my team no more)

11. By Big buck on May 26, 2010 | Reply

Delmas, you are the man and you have to step in and be the leader again. The gave your award to a cheeter. Just keep doing what you are doing and the wins will follow. The fans have always been here they just took of durning the Millan years. PS great job Mayhew.

12. By Digitz on May 26, 2010 | Reply

Delmas is someone that us fans have been waiting a long time for. Smart, aggressive, talented, humble. It’s his character (along with KVB and others) that solidifies a team. We finally have strong, talented leaders ! Keep it up bro !

13. By Scott Maurer on May 26, 2010 | Reply

LMBO! Well said “Dr. Suess.” I see that along with the kool-aid, you are also eating Green Eggs and Ham! : ) Farewell Stevie Y.

14. By big bear on May 26, 2010 | Reply

As a life long lions fan i approve. I like how this franchise is being build. If you think about it next years draft weither we do good or bad in the season will be HUGE!! It felt like this year we really had to draft on need. As for this year i can feel detroit buzzing! everyone is hype for the season to get underway. keep up the supafly work

15. By ajjaaj on May 26, 2010 | Reply

the man?…..correct way is: THEEE MANNNNN!! I see him having like 10 interceptions this year :)) ahah I don’t want to jinx him but yea I got a feeling.

16. By Lurshawn Williams on May 26, 2010 | Reply

Wow…Delmas is the Man. They keep adding Good role models to the team like this I will be moving back to Detroit so I can watch my games live.

17. By justjeffrey on May 26, 2010 | Reply

Sir Louis: we appreciate you, a talented and thoughtful person, being on the Lions. I was 7 years old the last time Detroit won the championship.( you do the math lol ) We live about 25 miles from Kalamazoo so a double thank you for the Bronco years as well. I do find it rather amusing if all the folks HAD TO CATCH A PASS IN FRONT OF YOU IN would they still boast how nice a guy you were? Good luck buddy…

18. By MJL on May 26, 2010 | Reply

Well, hope is here again. This is very positive and I can not wait until the season starts. If the injury bug would have avoided us last year, I think we could have easily won another 2-3 games. Hopefully this year we avoid the injuries and with a little more clock management, our your D can get some much needed rest on the sideline and we can pick up 6-9 wins this year.

Kool-Aid, I know, but lets say this. With out some horrible breakdowns, we should have at least 1 win against the bears and probably should have won both games against the Vikings. Lets not forget that Dante almost won against Pittsburgh, even when the officials helped Pittsburgh on two horrible calls. We were close a lot last year, but we are still 2nd or 3rd in the division.

If not for injuries, I still think GB could/would have went all the way last year.

19. By mike graham on May 26, 2010 | Reply

hell yeah delmas winning the super bowl in dallas 2012 LETSSS GOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. By shane lemcool on May 26, 2010 | Reply

delmas is undoubtedly a a great assest to the lions organization and will be a great player for years to come he is professional and positive and is going to help in leading our boys to the playoffs soon very soon and ready to roar i have to say brother you have the right idea our boys are ready to burn some asses off this season they are gonna sneak up on alot of teams this year cause they are not ready for our new and improved defense or that new speedster known as the best BEAST and ya ll true lions fans i say lets come up with a name for the defensive line cause they will undoubtedly let some people know this year that we no longer are the baseent team of the league that now belongs to the bills buhahahahahahahahahahaha

21. By Andrew on May 26, 2010 | Reply

I am so glad that we have some great young talent and mature players like Delmas,Suh,Spievey and Best. I think we should call our D line the Detroit HITMEN or Detroit Maulers just some suggestions on names of the next greatest D line in NFL history I hope!

22. By David on May 27, 2010 | Reply

He is wat we needed in the D a smash player that can make plays. Lets Go LIONS 2010

23. By Casey on May 27, 2010 | Reply

You’re awesome Delmas. Playing for the Lions probably wasn’t your ideal dream but Michigan loves this football team and we are happy to have you here. Thanks for working so hard and giving the fans so much hope for their home team. Go Lions!!!

24. By Branden on May 27, 2010 | Reply

Louis, you’re the best. You literally are the hero that we want to see. You are so much fun to watch on the field and your attitude is exactly the thing we need to finally become a winning franchise. We’re building a great team around some young, talented players and I’m really excited to see what the future holds for the Honolulu Blue.

25. By Anthony W. Gibbs on May 27, 2010 | Reply

I surely hope that Mr. Delmas is right. It has been bumpy to put it mildly in that secondary. We get a pass rush and suddenly these DBs will get a chance to pick off some mistakes and some wounded ducks.

I personally hope that the Lions come out and try to brutalize people on defense this year. I am fired and ready to see these guys. The State of Michigan needs this. We’ve suffred enough. GO LIONS!

26. By K.B. on May 27, 2010 | Reply

Keep it up Delmas. Finally starting to see a bright light at the end of this dark tunnel.Makes me proud to wear my Lions hard hat out here in Missoula Montana. I’m the only one who has one here.

27. By Mr Cool Dawg on May 27, 2010 | Reply

I have been Die Hard Lion fan for almost 40 years good or bad. I have been reading all of your posts for ever and I never respond.

I just did not see the point as I LOVE my Lions but did not drink the Kool Aid or eat the Corn Bread in over 10 years.

With the arrival of Swartz and Company, I felt the spark from coaching that this team needed to become the leader of the BLACK and BLUE again, It is in Swartz to be a leader and he breaths it and eats it every second of his day.

He and Mayhew have got a serious grasp on what it going to take to turn this TEAM around and I’m drinking Kool Aid by the GALLONS and the CORNBREAD is really Fresh. LOL!!!!

Let the analyst and other teams and players say what they want, because I believe the tides will turn and the turn is in our favor.

My fellow Loyal Lion fans, this is the beginning of a journey that we all have been longing for and the time is near, maybe not this year, but soon,this is the year of SUE-PER SIZE to get his feet wet and next year will be the Rookie LB and CR and then the next is Play off, maybe SUPER BOWL BOUND.

I’m sure Dijit would have something to add but he drinks SUGAR FREE CLEAR KOOL AID and we all know it’s not the same and the CORN BREAD, Dijit you know it’s not a sandwich, You sir are one string away from straight up CRAZY!!

One last thing, We need to get our Crowd ROAR ready willing and able this year, so we can help our team.
    This city needs to scream, yell and become the 12TH MAN as they do in other cities, it is our JOB and it is our DUTY as fans WIN OR LOSE.

SO EVERYBODY, SPREAD THE WORD GET YOUR GAME FACE ON,GET YOUR VOICES READY TO ROCK THE LIONS DEN,WE NEED TO SCARE OUR COMPETIOTION EVERYTIME THE GET THE BALL.

I look forward to posting again and becoming a regular as I have stock in the KOOL AID NOW!!!!

Peace Out
    Mr Cool Dawg

28. By dPAW on May 28, 2010 | Reply

It is good to see Delmas with such a sound mind. A humble approach and you will always find love in whatever you do. Delmas loves football and he has a big heart. As a lifetime Lions fan that’s exciting.

29. By Don on May 28, 2010 | Reply

Louis Delmas,Martin Mayhew,Jim Schwartz And MR. Ford and his Family I have to tell you that I have never been as proud of this TEAM as I am right now!
    I have never in my life read so many positive posts as I have right here on this site right NOW! And I want to thank all of you and all the Detroit LIONS Players and thier Families that are all backing you on this and in this journey to A NEW DETROIT LIONS TEAM! And I am Like a lot of the Fans that are writing on this site. I am eating the CORN BREAD and DRINKING THE KOOL-AID and I love it!
    I here say, by alot of people and usually are, the same ole, same ole people that say the same ole stuff every year. That this TEAM has This much more time to make it happen. Well if you keep saying that it will never happen.
    I Trully believe again that this TEAM can win! And can start doing it right now!
    We need to just take it one game at a time and win every game one game at a time.
    People will say that the team to beat is the Minnasota Vikings. NOT me.
    The TEAM to beat is the Chicago Bears in our first Game at thier Stadium and we can! And then the NEXT and the NEXT and the NEXT and etc.and etc.
    one TEAM and one Game at a time until we win them all!
    This TEAM Has the Talent to do that and they can.
    ONE TEAM ONE GOAL! one day at a time!
    What has this City done more than most cities in this Country?
    WE have built well oiled machines that move and carry people and merchandice all over this country and the world!
    And I have NO Dought that we can build a well oiled FootBall TEAM that can win the SuperBowl!
    And I believe that that TEAM is being built in DETROIT Right now!
    LIONS!
    P.S. Thank YOU my fellow LIONS FANS for your Positive outlook about our TEAM! Keep the Faith!

30. By quinnie on May 28, 2010 | Reply

i cant belive it ….we really have a smart competent GM at last..
    50 years in the making,….russ thomas then millen,….we were the ultimate laughingstock because of them … they didnt know a coach from the waitress down the at the bar…lol

from the roy williams fleecing to the latest draft, he has constant hit on all cylinders…..09 draft was something to build on for sure….also like the way him and schwartz go about free agency..

for the first time ever i see a nice talented nucleus being assembeld with a purpose.

LOUIS IS THE MAN!!

GO LIONS!!!!

31. By Dylan Manion on May 29, 2010 | Reply

I’m in Afghanistan right now with the Marine Corps. We just finished pushing through Marjeh and now have solid satilite communications back to the US. This means, internet, which in turn means, Detroit Lions updates! Louis Delmas you just made my day. In addition to seeing that we made a huge upgrade this offseason, our leaders are stepping as well. I remember when you played for the Broncos, and I would go up to Western and party after you guys won. This year I’ll be partying twice as hard after we kick the crap out of the NFC North!! Brought up a Lion, and will be 4 life!

32. By ben dornoff on May 30, 2010 | Reply

i hope the lions go to the playoffs thisyear

33. By Lionsfan on May 31, 2010 | Reply

Great to see a guy like Delmas on the team. Proud to have his jersey

34. By ryan on Jun 8, 2010 | Reply

delmas your the man!!! i hope you can push the managment into signing OJ Atogwe. with you and atogwe back there, holy crap i cant imagine what kind of havok you two would wreak. best safety tandem in the league with out a doubt.

35. By Jizzle on Jun 11, 2010 | Reply

Delmas isn’t a great player….because all great players fall off, such as T.O., Julius Peppers and L.T., he is a solid player. He is like a Ray Lewis. He will put up the 100 tackles a couple sacks and a couple interceptions every year until he retires. Should have been a pro-bowler last year as a rook.

But Delmas isn’t what im worried about. It is the defensive side of the ball that needs to prove itself this season but not him. Nor is it Julian Peterson or Cliff Avril or even Jason Hunter but the young guys and new additions to the team. More than half of players who join a team after the age of 28 dont have 75% of the production in the previous season. With Williams and KVB both not having the greatest seasons last year this would be killer to our defense. But i think the difference maker is the players we drafted and the players we already have making the workload for those two much smaller. I predict six sacks for KVB and 3 for Williams and a grand total of over 40 for the entire d-line. With 6-8 different players gettin significant playing time on the d-line this is very possible.

36. By snowmeetoo on Jun 12, 2010 | Reply

man im a 57 year old die hard detroit lions fan PLEASE you guys dont let me die without seeing a detroit lions superbowl . wayne almost did it .PLEASE jim take us to the promised land

37. By snowmeetoo on Jun 12, 2010 | Reply

oh yeah you da man louis,but i could’nt resist my last comment im desperate.good luck to you guys this year ill be faithfully watching [GO LIONS]

38. By DanYoInDaLionsDen on Sep 29, 2010 | Reply

GO LIONS!!!!!! We Just Gotta Jell In The Secondary. It will come. Keepin the faith …

Lions Roar!!!