NFL.com’s Fantasy Football Sees Stafford, Johnson and Best as Prime Investments

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on July 15, 2010 – 6:09 pm

Detroit Lions fans can sign up free for NFL.com’s All-New Fantasy Football game and put some stock in three of Detroit’s top offensive players.

In articles ‘Special from NFL.com,’ quarterback Matthew Stafford is named one of the top-10 sleepers in this year’s fantasy draft. In his company are fellow quarterbacks Joe Flacco of the Ravens and Kevin Kolb of the Eagles.

NFL.com says of Stafford, “A talented young quarterback, Stafford should take the next step in his development into an effective NFL starter this season. Not only does he have a very favorable schedule, but Stafford also has new weapons in Nate Burleson and Tony Scheffler to go along with his top option, Calvin Johnson.”

Johnson is cited as one of the top-10 undervalued players of 2010.

Johnson’s 2009 season wasn’t what he would have liked, battling a knee injury throughout the year. Since Stafford also missed games due to injury, consistency was also lacking in the receiver-quarterback relationship.

Says NFL.com, “Things should turn for the better this season, though, as the man called ‘Megatron’ is past his knee [injury] and now has Nate Burleson and Tony Scheffler to help draw coverage from opposing defenses. Don’t be shocked if Johnson posts the same sort of numbers he had during his breakout fantasy season of 2008.”

Finally, running back Jahvid Best is listed as the No. 2 on NFL.com’s top-10 rookies of 2010.

“Best did have durability issues at the college level, but he has amazing potential in the Lions offense which should be much improved,” said NFL.com. “Best’s speed will only make him more lethal on the Ford Field turf, and he’ll have middle-round value as a potential flex starter in all formats.”

NFL.com’s complete list of top rookies is:

1. Ryan Matthews, RB, Chargers
2. Jahvid Best, RB, Lions
3. C.J. Spiller, RB, Bills
4. Ben Tate, RB, Texans
5. Dez Bryant, WR, Cowboys
6. Montario Hardesty, RB, Browns
7. Demaryius Thomas, WR, Broncos
8. Arrelious Ben, WR, Buccaneers
9. Sam Bradford, QB, Rams
10. Toby Gerhart, RB, Vikings

Tags: , ,

30 Responses to “NFL.com’s Fantasy Football Sees Stafford, Johnson and Best as Prime Investments”

1. By nitty on Jul 15, 2010 | Reply

Its going to be a solid year overall for the lions. Stafford should have a qb rating of at least 83. Huge improvement. I project Best to gain 1200 (rush and rec) total. And megatron will be megatron.

2. By TheDunn on Jul 15, 2010 | Reply

I would love to see 8-8 but realistically we will probably see 6-10. I think you are accurate with an 83 projected rate for Stafford. I think we may see Burleson with about 700 to 800 yards and 6 TD’s also

3. By T.N.E. on Jul 15, 2010 | Reply

I agree nitty. Our team (on paper) look’s as if we can top the NFC North in a hand full of important statistical facts. Since we’re talking fantasy league, I’m looking for our defense to have a big season this year as well. You lucked up Jordan. I’m asking myself, were we a little hard on Ernie? Look at our D-Line, and with Dre back. What-up Dre. We would have “somebody” doing some extra covering.

Defense, we have to step it up this season. F*** what people have to say about our secondary, and linebacker core…Peterson.
    We this year’s Superbowl Champions!!!

4. By Jake SEO on Jul 15, 2010 | Reply

Cant wait for the season to begin. Just hope I am not being too hopeful like year past. I really do think my Hope for this year is justified!

5. By Jordan on Jul 15, 2010 | Reply

yeah with bly coming back thats awesome the offseason including all the moves was solid not so sure about ernie sims leaving but? all in all the lions had one of the best off seasons i have ever seen, i will be there at the home opener against phili can’t wait!

6. By michael Hildebrandt on Jul 16, 2010 | Reply

I cant wait to see them on the field this year. stafford could put up some good numbers this year. Megatron has the ability to put up recieving numbers we havent seen in years, especally this season. sims leaving though is a huge loss for the defense. but this is one of the best offseasons i have ever seen from the lions. and if brandon pettigrew can fufill the promise he showed right before the injury, look out matthew could be dangerous with his new toys. GO LIONS.

7. By jalen on Jul 16, 2010 | Reply

i think we should get t.o to

8. By Walker on Jul 16, 2010 | Reply

So, we are looking at our young QB Stafford running the O with Smith and Best in the backfield, Pettigrew and Sheffler on the line and running routes with Megatron, Burleson and a bunch of other hungry young talent at WR! I hate to say it yet again but it’s hard to not get excited about the Lions this year! I don’t think that we are talking division champs or playoffs yet but this should be a much better team than we have seen here in Detroit in many years! Way to go Coach Schwartz, keep up the good work and make a team out of these guys and who knows what we will be talking about over the next few seasons!!!

9. By BILLO313 on Jul 16, 2010 | Reply

everything is looking good so far. i just hope the offense can come together to win some games. we have all the right pieces so there should be no excuses. defensively…. um yeah… these teams dont know what they are in for when they play us this year!!!

10. By Billy D. on Jul 16, 2010 | Reply

As it has been for my entire life as a Lions fan 1956 we always go into each season with high hopes and dreams. This off season I have seen some what I feel as great moves and of course hope they pay off. I can no longer afford to go to games but from home the new field and team look to be heading in the right direction. Predict 7 / 9 season cautiously

11. By Kslab on Jul 16, 2010 | Reply

I have to agree with many of you. It’s really hard to hold back the excitement for the 2010 Season, it ranks right up there with the 89 draft when we heard Barry Sanders was going to be wearing Honolulu Blue & Silver. In my 35 years of watching the Lions I don’t think I’ve seen a better offseason. Hold on tight fans this is going to be one heck of a ride!

12. By Don on Jul 16, 2010 | Reply

I Liked Simms a Lot. He was one of My favarite Players.
    However, He was losing something These past few years and I think that He and the Lion’s Needed to part way’s.
    As far as the LBer Core is though I’m Not worried at all.
    With Levy, Peterson and Follett this is a Strong LBer unit!
    I Do not ubderstand where everyone is worried so much about the LBer situation?
    I believe that we are in great Shape!
    And Enie has been ther for a while,it is Nice to get some young Studs in Like Levy and Follett.
    I really think that there is not only nothing to worry about BUT, We should be excited to see these guy’s start a New Beggining.
    I believe we are going to have a great year!
    And a Lot of Fun!
    GO LIONS!

13. By nick on Jul 16, 2010 | Reply

im really excited about the defense. everybody is saying the line backers are not good. thats a load of crap. the d-line is much more improved and is ready to start knocking heads. the secondary is the only thing that worries me. but if thay play better then anyone expects them to that will make the d-line and the LBers that much better. this team has the potential to be great. and with more experience and getting in sync with his recievers matthew stafford can shred d fences

14. By jonjon on Jul 16, 2010 | Reply

This year is wayyy different than years past when us fans post high hope only to come into the season to be completely let down and game by game we watch as our team shows nothing short of pathetic play and managment. This year we have a legitimate shot at taking the division. with KVB,Suh,Williams and avril at the front of the helm the lions could wreck havok on any oline in the game today. and as any true analyst on talent could tell you our offense is LOADED with Young Talent that could take the league by suprise… If this team stays healty with the coaching we have im pulling for a 10 win season this year and a wild card birth that cracks a 10 year drought start drinking the kool-aid boys its tasteing mighty fine.

15. By Mike on Jul 16, 2010 | Reply

Let’s hope it works, god knows we need it.
    If the club is good, the fans will be more than happy to bring their “A game”.
    We got talent and great coaching…with some optimism and some confidence we’ll roll for sure!!!!

16. By Seth on Jul 17, 2010 | Reply

Lions Release Daniel Bullocks why he a good SS what are we so good a SS that we don’t even give a guy that wasn’t a back up for another team ??

17. By Seth on Jul 17, 2010 | Reply

a chance

18. By Don on Jul 17, 2010 | Reply

I know I have to say that letting Bullocks go was Kind of a shock?
    I know that he has Been injured a lot But, he was just getting well? And the Last time that Bullocks was healthy he played the Position pretty Darn good.
    At least with the Run support. I know that his pass protection could be a little better BUT?
    Well, What I Really came here to talk about.
    And I don’t want this to sound like it is personal because it is not.
    It is Just My Opinion,However I believe that I am Right.
    I like Bryant Johnson, He is OK as far as I know of the Man. And probably a Good dude and Maybe even a lot of of laughs or whatever as far as the TEAM goes or as he might or might not be as a man.
    However, He DID NOT produce enough Last year to Warant Getting the WR Job again this year.
    IN Fact I did not even think he would still be on this TEAM again this year?
    With ALL the Improvements that have been made with this TEAM, I’m Sorry but I CANNOT believe that he will hold that WR position again for a 2nd year.
    And I believe that this will be one of the BIG Mistakes that this TEAM Makes this year by Leaving him where he did not produce very much last year.
    People have mentioned Eric Fowler and to be Honest I would rather see him with that position than Bryant.
    Maybe Bryant will step it up and Make a Real showing this year? Maybe?
    But, So far, Just about every year Bryant has come up with reason’s why he can’t seem to be able to get the Job done.
    He has Not lived up to what his potential was supposed to be.
    If we keep him there in this position I trully hope that he proves me wrong.
    I have been believing that this TEAM would go beyond what has been predicted as a win total this year. Or at least what a lot of people predict.
    But, knowing that Bryant is still on that side of the field does not instill as much hope as once before.
    Like I say he is probably I fine person, But he Needs to DO what he WAS SUPPOSED TO DO when he came into this League,and with every Team that he has been with he has Fallen short of that potential every time.

19. By bobo on Jul 17, 2010 | Reply

Don, I agree with what you said about bryant johnson not producing. He is probably a good personality and all, but it seems he has trouble catching some balls, which is a shame because he is a big receiver. But, although I’m not 100 percent on this, it looks like Nate Burleson is slotted to be the other receiver playing opposite of CJ. All the articles I read on the Lions talk about Nate being able to draw attention away from double teaming Calvin. It got to the point that I wasn’t even sure that Bryant was still on the team! I think maybe they will move bryant johnson to the number three/slot receiver. That seems like a better idea because he cant handle being a number two receiver. Hopefully he has a better productive upcoming season.
    As for Bullocks, I was shocked too. The only thing I can guess is that his knee still is bothering him…because I don’t really like the other options we have at S.S. Marquand Manuel STINKS!!! He is terrible particularly in pass coverage. He may play with passion, but he always gets burned. I guess the position will go to that CC Brown guy from the Giants (can we turn dre bly into a safety, haha?)

20. By Russell Wayne Project on Jul 17, 2010 | Reply

The D is being brought back to DETROIT. A defensive line that can rival any D line in the N F L. The D line will make everybody better, they got quick cornerbacks to pick off passes because QB will have to get rid of the ball or get sacked. The offense looks as good as it could be. No excuses this year, they have the talent to compete with any team.

GO LIONS

21. By Tyson on Jul 18, 2010 | Reply

Im the only LIONS fan in the state of utah it seems so i get crap every year. i have liked the lions since i was 7. 17 years ago and nothing will change i hate every damn team in the league. except one team im not getting my hopes up like i do every year like when we went 6-2 i was on cloud 9 when that crap happened. so im not gaurnteeing anything but truly i believe this was the best off-season ever since i have been a fan. im way stoked for this year ill be @ the game week 16. when we play the dolphins @ miami. ill be flying there i all ready got my tickets. and i will be the only fan there so im for sure going to meet one of the lions. sitting 2nd row behind megatron and the gang LETS TEAR EVERY DAMN TEAM APART GO LIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. By mike slak on Jul 18, 2010 | Reply

i agree Don,
    i think the same can be said about northcut.
    if they are still on this team it gives me doughts about their potential
    both players should not make the roster!

23. By mike slak on Jul 18, 2010 | Reply

sorry about the typo it shoud say doubts about their potential

24. By mike slak on Jul 18, 2010 | Reply

again with the typo should say doubts about the lions potential,

25. By jay on Jul 19, 2010 | Reply

can you imagine if we got to man we would goto the superbowl for sure because no one would be able to stop us i wonder if there even thinking about it would be nice for sure

26. By Gary on Jul 19, 2010 | Reply

I agree about Bryant it always potentail enough! also Northcutt has to go too many drops and to old. DeVries is another one that needs to go, he’s old and servicable at best if the Lions like him that much make him a coach. There are several young players I’d like to see what they can do, starting with Young at LB he needs to shadow Peterson, Stamper, Park (I hear he’s very fast and can catch), Berry (CB),Palmer (LB),Phillips(Safety) Galloway (DT) Douzable (DT)and Brown (RB) . Trade J.Cohen and Fluellen and 5th rd pick to the Chiefs for Page and last but not least Spievey. Lets get a good long look at the young guys I think there’s a couple of Diamonds in the rough that will get the LIONS over the hump this year!

27. By T.N.E. on Jul 20, 2010 | Reply

My apologizes to Jason Hanson, a.k.a J. Han, b.k.a “The Best Damn Kicker in the World” for not making a mention for his spectacular special teams play, and loyalty. T.N.E : There’s No one Else.
    Let’s go Lions.

28. By lions fan from cincinnati on Jul 23, 2010 | Reply

I GOT TO SAY ALL OF U GUYS IS RIGHT THEY SHOULD DO BETTER THIS YEAR THEN THE LAST PAST TO SEASON THEY GOT THE TALENT LETS JUST HOPE THEY CAN PUT IT ALL TOGETHER AND WIN SOME F—ING GAMES….. LETS GO LIONS!!!!!

29. By Seth on Jul 23, 2010 | Reply

why aren’t we making more of a move a Jared page the guy could become a star in the right coverage and and we need a big hither to fill that SS spot make them fear the middle off the Field the cover two work a hole lot better then <3 seth go lion

30. By Detroit Lions #1 on May 30, 2012 | Reply

I hope Jahvid comes back healthy….