Johnson: ‘Fans out at practice … means everybody steps up their game’

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on July 31, 2010 – 10:58 pm

“This is my fourth camp. Definitely everything is a lot slower to me. Since I know the whole offense, everything’s a lot easier – I know what to do on every play. I’m not thinking about everything, I’m playing fast.

“Not having coaching changes also helps out a lot. You get used to the system that you’re in and you can progress even more in the system that you’re in. You, your coach and the rest of your teammates can evolve even more with the current situation and I see that happening right now.

“Today was the first practice. I came out a little rusty. I dropped an easy ball in a one-on-one drill – it was right in my hands. Routes were okay, though. I was happy with my routes.

“My man-to-man routes were pretty good today, I felt real good about that. But just that one drop – that messed up my whole day. I try to be perfect when I go out and practice, knowing it’s not really possible. I’m working real hard on my blocking. It’s the first day – I’m a little rusty.

“The big thing about camp as a receiver is that you get to work a lot more man-on-man – on your man-to-man routes. Unlike in the offseason, you can’t do a lot of one-on-one stuff, but we can do it here and do it with pads on and stuff like that. It’s better to get used to that game tempo here with pads on.

“We also have the fans out at practice, which means everybody steps up their game. Nobody wants to look bad in front of the fans, so the competition level steps up and that’s great. It’s only going to make everybody better.”

Posted in Calvin Johnson Blog | 33 Comments »

33 Responses to “Johnson: ‘Fans out at practice … means everybody steps up their game’”

1. By Uncle Bob on Jul 31, 2010 | Reply

ya know Calvin – you and Stafford have all the right stuff to be the next
    Montana, Rice combination. And I’m an old fart that does know Football a little bit.

2. By Jake on Jul 31, 2010 | Reply

How much has Matthew improved?

3. By Dustin Pfeifer on Jul 31, 2010 | Reply

I am 29 years old and i have been a die hard fan for 21 years. I am excited to watch my favorite team, especially since i am confident that this year will be a winning season for the Detroit Lions. We have, in my opinion, the best wide receiver in the game in Calvin Johnson. As an organization you have had one of the best offseasons in the teams history. Mathew Stafford proved to be an exceptional quarterback with the determination to win. Our defense is one of the best we have ever had. I Love this team with all my heart. I wish you all the luck this season and know that i will be there on my couch cheering you on to victory. Thanks for finally making the commitment as an organization to winning. I look forward to many great seasons ahead and know that you have a number one fan for life, and i live in southern Ohio. Go LIONS!!!!!!!

4. By Tom W on Aug 1, 2010 | Reply

Good Luck Calvin….stay health and have a great yeat – I truely hope the Lions are back….Keep the team motivation up and keep working hard.

5. By bob camp on Aug 1, 2010 | Reply

Loved your insight on the first day of practice. Can’t wait for the season to start, and your web page helps to hurry up the time until the first exhibition game. You write stuff we don’t get from the newspapers, and it is personal. Wishing you and the team the best for the new season.
    Bob

6. By Latia Leonard on Aug 1, 2010 | Reply

Calvin, your the best player on the team, dont sweat it.

7. By Chris on Aug 1, 2010 | Reply

This needs to be the year that you carry the team. Don’t use nate as a satefy net. Take this team and put us on your shoulder man. Excited for the future and with you being our vet at WR.

I like stafford alot but we can’t expect him to have a pro bowl season but this season should be about Calvin Johnson and the Lions

8. By Rodaja on Aug 1, 2010 | Reply

Hey Calvin,

Man it is cool that you are your worst critic. That’s what sets stars above the rest of the pack, but man I have never met a perfect one yet. If one dropped pass is overcasting your whole work out, I will just say that it is not healthy. I wonder if a Jerry Rice felt that way during practice? What was the reason that you dropped the pass? Did the defender distract you enough? Maybe you did not shut the door completely on your concentrated mind set; you allowed an entity to enter it. Maybe Stafford fooled you in getting the ball when you did not expect it. Hell, maybe you had gas, but the point is your imperfect and we all need to recognize that and accept it — when we do that we will be the best we can ever be.

9. By Randy Stroesser on Aug 1, 2010 | Reply

This is your year, Calvin. You have a strong arm in Stafford to get you the ball, and we have more weapons on offense than we’ve had in a long time. I’m excited, and so are a lot of Lions’ fans.
    P.S. My beagle’s name is Calvin , and he has an authentic Lions’ jersey with his name and number on it … And I can’t catch the little bugger!

10. By Mark on Aug 1, 2010 | Reply

Great stuff Calvin! I can’t wait to watch you in the regular season. You and Stafford are going to be awesome this year together after a whole offseason together. The best receiver in football! Good luck Calvin, stay healthy and we’re all rooting for you guys!

11. By Lurshawn Williams on Aug 1, 2010 | Reply

Good Luck Megatron….This is your probowl year…Not alternative.

12. By Jake on Aug 1, 2010 | Reply

An improved defense should help you guys out a lot this year. I’m looking for lots of QB pressure and sacks to help out the secondary and team as a whole. Hopefully we won’t have to come from behind every game and rather run some clock. I’m hoping for a huge year Calvin, for both you and the team. I’m not expecting playoffs, but you guys can definitely compete this year in our tough division. Next year I AM expecting the playoffs though. :)

13. By Lorenzo Seldon on Aug 1, 2010 | Reply

I’m hoping to see alot of improvement in the team this year. i hope all goes well for you also and you meet your goals as well as the team goals. i know it gets hard out there but try to keep your fustrations down, it seem like last year your body languge showed it alot. take it easy and I will be watching every game, I will even be in Chicago for the first game……..Fan for life I just can’t help it

14. By Tyrice on Aug 1, 2010 | Reply

Keep up the hard work, Calvin, we Lions fans are pulling for u guys. Plus, as a true fan, I’m extremely excited about the off-season moves and the upcoming season. GO LIONS!!

15. By cutis (aka) bigdubya on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

Calvin

I was at practice and i seen something that maid me most happy,The best player on the team was the last one off the field and was helping a rookie get better that’s what great payers do,i have coached my son and other kids and i would tell them exactly that so today, i noticed a few fathers pointing that out to there kids…… and that young man is better than any touchdown you will score.

THANK YOU ….THANK YOU = )

16. By macman on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

best reciever in the NFL that nobody talks about, soon 2 change!!! keep do’n what u do!!! it’s just of matter of time go get’m calvin!!!

17. By Kurtis J on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

Yo Im picking you as my number 1 WR in fantasy, make sure u come up this season big pimpin! if its possible, NO WR SCREENS! Im pretty sure thats how you hurt your knee in chicago..

18. By Don on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

I am so Very Happy to still have you on Our Team.
    And I for one hope that you are here for your whole career, and within that Time I hope for you and Mathew and the rest of the men Go to some Superbowls and walk away from them as Victors.
    and the More that this TEAM comes together the More that I can see that as a Possibilty.
    I am Not Making any Prediction’s either, I just know and believe that it is Possible and that this TEAm and coaching staff can Make that Hwppen in time.
    I do not like Making prediction’s I just wish everyone would take it one game at a time. Espesially the Fan’s and the Media .
    However that is not reallity? they have been doing it every year fora long long time.
    Anyway’s I Loved it the day that this TEAM drafted you and I have loved every Game and year since!
    It is all going to turn out great, Hopefully, Lord willing!
    and I too am hoping for you to have a PRO- Bowl SEASON!
    GO CALVIN GO!

19. By dave on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

PROUD TO BE A LIONS FAN NOW AND FOREVER 35 YEARS OF GOODTIMES AND BAD . YOU ALL ROCK JUST LIKE MOTOWN GOOD LUCK AND HAVE A GREAT SEASON

20. By Sam Lion on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

We love you so much Calvin. We believe in you and are cheering for you 100%. Thanks for brightening up our season every time you’ve been here.

21. By Chris Smith on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

nice megatron now that we have bumble bee in (jahvid Best) the lions are looking good i wonder if coach schwartz is going to use a wildcat package for best? ggood luck megatron im sniffing out the pro bowl for you buddy!!!!

22. By Bob in Kingsland GA on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

Calvin – life=long Lions fan transplanted to southern GA by the US Navy. Big fan of both yours and Matt’s while you were in college down here. I was very happy when the new management drafted both of you because I knew we had quality talent at both positions for years to come and a great offensive skill position nucleus to build around. It’s been said many times in this post, but I see this as a real Pro Bowl year for you. And I for one can see a distinct possibility for a playoff berth if a few games that went the wrong way the past couple of years have a few breaks that fall our way. As always, the main factor will be inuries. Hope and pray that every team member has a healthy season. For you – stay healthy, stay sharp, keep getting better every day – this Lions family will be praying for you every week.

23. By Tim on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

As a Michigan native I have been pressed to be a Packer fan, a Viking fan and even a Cowboys fan. I ultimately wound up a Colts fan. But I was never pressed to be a Lions fan. I hope they kick ass this year! I hope they even do the Madden video and beat the colts in the Superbowl this year! Go Lions!!!

24. By scott fiore on Aug 3, 2010 | Reply

hey calvin! good luck this yea. i know all the hard work you put in this offseason will pay for you and the lions. u got all the tools to be the best. visualize it and do it! remeber LOSERS MAKE EXCUSES WINNERS MAKE IT HAPPEN. lets make it happen calvin

25. By Dylan Manion on Aug 4, 2010 | Reply

Calvin, 1. Your my number 1 receiver in Fantasy Football this year, because I have faith this will be a ProBowl season for you. 2. Your name shuts people up when I have to defend my reasoning for being such a die hard Lions fan! haha
    You gotta talk Matthew into posting a plog. I have both your jerseys, and wear them with pride!
    !!!ReSTorE thE ROaR!!!

26. By Debbie Martin on Aug 5, 2010 | Reply

Hey Calvin, This is the year. I can feel it. I am from Detroit but have been in Orlando for over 20 years. No team comes close to my LIONS. Looking forward to you guys eating the Buc’s this year. Have a great season.
    In memory of Terry Martin, 7-3-201,. Lions # 1 FAN.

27. By Mike on Aug 6, 2010 | Reply

Thanks Calvin from Hawaii, I am from the Detroit area and LOVE all of my Detroit teams…we have the best sports teams in the nation! Keep working hard for your team, your fans and yourself, we know it takes hard work to be the best!

28. By Marie Campbell on Aug 20, 2010 | Reply

Hi Calvin: Really enjoy reading your blog and the interesting events leading up to Game Day. Wishing you and the Lions a great season.

29. By jacob on Aug 23, 2010 | Reply

after the game on saturday, what drew stanton did with that draw made me think , hey lets use him in the wildcat formation.

what do you think ?

30. By Dean Ford on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

OK guys finally the Lions look like a contender, “I’m 40 I’m a man” I watched Calvin play @ GT he is a Man never fakes the funk on a nasty dunk small db’s can’t hang…

Jahvid- will be a great(RB)he has that extra gear not to many players have and will break ankles like Berry did to Rod Woodson back in the day.

Stafford- saw this kid play at UGA in fact hung out @ Cocktail cove on Lake Lanier many times with him. Strong arm reads coverage very well and a team leader.

The pain the lions fans have gone through for many years, most college teams could beat the lions on any given day…time to man up guys and kick some ass.

31. By Sheryl Peterfi on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

Hey, Calvin. You are one of the best receivers in the NFL and I am tired of you and the Lions being screwed over in almost every game by the officials. You clearly had the game winning touchdown against the Bears. If I hear the word process one more time, I am going to scream. Something needs to be done about these officials who ultimately change the outcome of a lot of games. They had better use that “process” for every receiver in the NFL from this day forward. As far as I am concerned, you guys won that game. Keep up the good work. GO LIONS!

32. By Karen Pleasant on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

I think that was unfair. It may have been the rule, and had had Johnson stay down and not gotten up after putting the ball on the ground it would have been a TD. But I still think from the working man/fans point of view that call stunk…

33. By patanpatty on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

the heads of the n.f.l.. as usual have rob another team of it’s due . and it seems every time detriot makes head way they always seem to find flaw , a blind man could see that the claim againist mr. johnson was ignorant, and i’v along with many other’s have reveiwed the catch , and from what i seen there was a simaler catch in that game to the good of the bears , not counting a few of the other games this last sunday that i watched . i believe that theres alot of corruption on the part of the high archey. i also feel tha the refs. should be fined for bad calls and after so many fired. there should be a investigation into wrong doing and graft – after watching some of these games and superbowls it makes you wonder whos paying who. ? and i already see the rats of the ship (detriot) jumping off , i a true lions fan from day one stand with them , the rest of you fly- by nights need not apply . this is your super bowl champs GO LIONS ………………