Lewand on Getting Suh Signed

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on July 31, 2010 – 8:18 pm

With RB Jahvid Best signed and at camp, the only player remaining is DT Ndamukong Suh.

Prior to the Lions’ first training camp practice on Saturday, Team President Tom Lewand spoke about current negotiations with Suh’s agent and the sense of urgency the team is placing on getting him signed.

Lewand transcripts from the interview:

On team negotiations with DT Ndamukong Suh: “We’re still talking – nothing to announce. We’re still working hard at it. I just got off the phone with Eugene (Parker) and Rosey (Barnes) and we’ll keep diligently working at it until we get the deal done.”

On whether it helps that deals are done for the No. 1 and No. 3 overall picks: “I think the more reference points we have, the more helpful it becomes but at the same time every deal is unique, every deal is its own deal and the only thing we can do is continue to work hard to get a fair deal done for Ndamukong Suh and for our club.”

On how close he can ‘gauge’ that a deal is to being done: “It’s hard to gauge. I really try not to gauge any individual deal because they are very different; negotiations are all very different. You can think that you’re very close and have something catch you late in the process and delay it, but you can also have something that seems like it’s very far away and then it gets done quickly. We just continue to work at it and work at it and with the idea of getting it done as quickly as possible.”

On whether he would say it’s closer because the No. 1 and No. 3 overall picks have signed with their teams: “Well, they’re reference points, but it really does take both sides to get a deal done. It takes the involvement of a player and his representatives and obviously the club to come to a meeting of the minds. Generally speaking, the more information that’s available, the more helpful it is but each negotiation and each contract is different.”

On it not being as easy as just ‘slotting him’ based on the other deals that have been done around him: “Again, it is a process – there are lots of variables in a contract in this process that take some time and it takes both parties having a meeting of the minds.”

On whether he is disappointed that Suh was not signed in time for the first practice: “It’s always our goal to have them here as early as possible and I think our track record suggests the importance that we place on that has been realized in most cases. Even when they haven’t, when players who we’ve selected particularly high in the draft haven’t been here for their first practice, it hasn’t been that long after. Our goal is to stop talking about contracts and start talking about football.”

On whether the contract the team did with QB Matthew Stafford last year is a reference point: “There are lots of deals that are done this year that looked towards a reference last year or the year before that. I don’t want to get into specifics, but there’s lots of different reference points whenever you’re dealing with a rookie contract.”

On Suh having stated previously how important it was for him to be at camp on time: “What I’m focused on right now is getting the deal done as quickly as possible and having Ndamukong (Suh) miss as little time as possible. Knowing him as I’ve gotten to know him over the last few months, I’m sure he’s feeling the same way about wanting to get our here as quickly as possible. As I said, I just got off the phone with those guys a minute ago, we had an extended conversation and I’m sure we’ll have another one here shortly and both sides are focused on trying to get this done as quickly as possible.”

On whether it could get done tonight: “Again, I don’t predict.”

On whether Suh is in town: “I believe he is but I’m not positive of that.”

On whether progress is being made: “As long as we’re talking, we’re making progress and we continue to talk. We are very, very focused on trying to get a deal done.”

On whether he has spoken to Suh at all during this process: “I have not talked to him (directly) for a few weeks and I wouldn’t try and negotiate with him at all – but I always welcome the opportunity to talk to the player directly.”

Tags: ,

9 Responses to “Lewand on Getting Suh Signed”

1. By Dale Hoard on Jul 31, 2010 | Reply

Just get it done!!!!!!!

2. By mdetc on Jul 31, 2010 | Reply

The problem with slotting Ndamukong in between Bradford and McCoy is not an automatic fix. I think Ndamukong was widely thought to be the best player in the draft this year, but the Rams needed a QB. Suhs camp will think that he should be paid the most since he is the best player. Lewand will counter with the fact that QBs are always paid far more than DTs, and DTs have a historically high Bust rate when taken so high in the draft. Of course, this is just my opinion and probably is wrong. My guess is that Ndamukong will probably be paid closer to Bradfords deal than he will to McCoys. No matter,with all the guaranteed money that will be in the deal, I doubt Ndamukong will be going hungry in his lifetime. C’mon you guys, lets get this thing done.

3. By gary on Aug 1, 2010 | Reply

I would set some numbers and if that wouldn’t work, see if a rookie cap next year will work for him. Or, pay him incentives: if he reaches certain goals, he gets paid accordingly. Also, look at who the agent is next time you draft. Is there a pattern with this agent?

4. By Big Buck on Aug 1, 2010 | Reply

So much for Suh going out if his way to get into camp.I hope that his agent isn’t looking for the same kind of money that Stafford is making.This is a no brainer contract now that Brafford is done you put the number that yoy want to pay and tell him to come sign the contact. If he don’t want to take the money that you want to give him. Let him sit out and pay him lesss for ever day he misses. For one, he doens’t hold the cards in a lock out year and two by the end of the week he will cave in and sign anyway. He agent is a greedy person who has a history of draft bust anyway. I hope to have him by next Wedesday so I can see him but I hate guys how hold out when it comes to way to much money,

5. By kenny on Aug 1, 2010 | Reply

I”m not a Lions fan but, a die hard, life long Husker fan. So I follow and disect each player separtley. Mr. Suh (as known to all Husker fans) is a very dedicated and caring man and football player.Hes pretty unique. Hes very family orientated and all about being a team player, (soon to be a leader). He works so hard at being the best he could be. There is no chance of him being a bust. So what i’m saying is, and it’s just my opinion. Be patient Lion fans, has worth the wait and every penny.

6. By Jake on Aug 1, 2010 | Reply

I agree like all the analysts said; he was the perennial best player in the draft. But that doesn’t matter. All that matters is where you were drafted. I understand that it isn’t all about the slot but I hope his agents aren’t expecting #1 money on the argument that he was considered the most talented player. It shouldn’t work that way, but I’m sure Suh will get on the field soon. We shouldn’t worry too much, the NFL is a business after all, and Suh is worth the wait.

7. By Don Brake on Aug 1, 2010 | Reply

Hey, does anyone have the latest on Suh getting signed or not? We need to get the big guy in camp!

8. By drake barns on Jan 10, 2011 | Reply

The lions need to keep BOTH kickers on the roster for next year. Hanson deserves to be apart of there success to come.

9. By Detroit Lions #1 on May 30, 2012 | Reply