Johnson: ‘The more Jahvid touches the ball the more we’ll keep getting better’

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on August 23, 2010 – 7:09 pm

“This last game was the same as the first game. I think both sides of the ball did even better. As an offense, we were moving the ball up and down the field. We didn’t score as many touchdowns as we wanted, but we were definitely getting points off of those drives and getting the ball in the red zone every time we touched the ball.

“Capitalizing in the red zone will get better when we have more time to game plan when the season comes around. Preseason, we work on us first and then we go to work on the other team for a day or two. The coaches probably look at it more than that, but as far as we go, that’s as much as we really get to practice. It’ll get better after the season starts.

“The touchdown I had on Saturday was a great throw by Matt – only where I can get it. That’s what Coach talks about all the time: letting me set my feet so I can go up and get it and that’s exactly what we wanted to do.

“The offense was more in sync and the more Jahvid touches the ball the more we’ll keep getting better. He’s so fast; when he gets around the corner, you never know what’s going to happen. He looks like he’s running fast already, but when he hits the corners, he kicks it up two more gears and rolls by everybody and all of a sudden it’s an eight-yard gain. It looks like it’s going to be two yards and it turns into eight.

“On the long run he had, he might have gone all the way had the guy not grabbed his facemask. I had one guy, so he would have had to beat that other guy. He probably would have had to make a nice little cutback because I was on the sideline with my guy, but you never know with him.

“We’ve got some weapons at tight end and Nate converted a couple crucial third downs for us to keep drives going. We’ll really see what impact these new guys have once the season starts.

“While it’d be great, I don’t think we’ll be seeing as much cover-one as we’ve been seeing right now. It is preseason and teams want to work on things that they might struggle with. They work on it in the preseason because they don’t want to work on it during the season. I think we’ll see a lot more two-high during the season, so it’ll be interesting to see what happens.”

Tags: , , ,
Posted in Calvin Johnson Blog | 31 Comments »

31 Responses to “Johnson: ‘The more Jahvid touches the ball the more we’ll keep getting better’”

1. By thomas price on Aug 23, 2010 | Reply

i know its still pre-season,but i hope that the defensive cordinator is working on stopping the bootleg this yr. as for green bay , we all know that they love too run the bootleg and pass for a 30 or 50 yrd. touchdowns alot ! As for the start of the pre-season , i am ver impressed with our offense and our defense ! Swartz wanted speed this yr. on our defense , and i believe he got it ! GO LIONS !

2. By mdetc on Aug 23, 2010 | Reply

Calvin is right, the starters looked pretty good both ways. The opener at Chicago should show us a little more of what to expect from the DB’s. I can see that Mike Martz offense throwing on us 75% of the time. I’m hoping these guys can come together and give a good showing for themselves back there. That group is probably my biggest concern for this year. Things are looking up…..

Lions fan 4 Life

3. By Nice 40 on Aug 23, 2010 | Reply

I was really impressed with what we’ve done over the past two weeks. Both the offense and defense were impressive. I knew the offense would be good but what i was most impressed by was the defense. The front line put heat on the entire first half and kept Orton uncomfortable and we got to recognize that the db’s and safety’s were at least where they were supposed to be for the scheme. We all know in past years guys would be way out of position. Once Wade and Delmas get back and this new end Jackson we’ll be even tougher on D. I watched the game with my cousin who is a serious Bronco’s fan. He expected to rub it in but we shut him up all first half. Thanks for a great Saturday night.

4. By Don on Aug 23, 2010 | Reply

I watched the game also and I am very happy to see the way that our D Fence is Playing and Our Offence Too.
    I relize that the Team isn’t game planning. And I am Hoping to see More Power Runs into the endzone when we get within the 10 Yard Line. I would also like to see How Felton does in that Kind of situation. I know that he did a lot of scoring in College Punching it in On the ground.
    I did think that we might see some of that in this game. We Need those 7s.
    However, it was a very good game and I liked how the 2nd and 3rd stringers Came though in the second Half. If we can Keep our Backups producing This will be a NICE season. I also believe that it is going to be a great season I HOPE to be a LIONS FAN!
    GO LIONS!

5. By blair on Aug 23, 2010 | Reply

I enjoyed both preseason games…stafford looks great and the recievers did as well.Jahvid is a wonderful addition (he reminds me of Barry Sanders). i have been a lions fan for 30 years and to watch what has happened in the last 2 offseasons has been an extreme pleasure!!!! i havent felt this good about my team since barry herman moore and perriman were exciting the fans,,,MAY THE SCWARTZ BE WITH YOU!!!!!!

6. By mark on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

The Lions are better of than we think there alot of teams are having alot of offensive line problems all the critics and football teams will fear the King of the jungle when they hit town GO LOINS!!!!!!!!

7. By Kevin on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Calvin tells it like it is, and you have to love his modesty, always willing to praise a guy for a good play, but never one to give the credit to himself.

8. By Billy #20 on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Hey Blair,

You’re a legend! May the SCHWARTZ be with you!! I too, have been a Lions fan since 1980, the year that one of my favorite Lions, Billy Sims, was a rookie. That marks 30 years. From Monte Clark, to Cocaine Wayne, to Bobby, the loss, Ross, to Marty, we’ll take the wind, Morningweig!! Are you from Detroit? I was born and raised in the east side of Detroit, and live in Arizona now. I am 41 years old, and sport my new Lions logo on the back of my truck. Most people here aren’t knowledgeable football fans, and laugh at me for being a Lions fan, thanks to Matt Millen. Ya know what I say, never awaken a sleeping giant; the Lions now have an abundance of talent. Spievey, Suh, CJ, Scheffler, Delmas, Houston, Burleson, Morris, Vandenbosch, Williams,…the list goes on and on!! Go Lions, and Restore the Roar of the SILVER RUSH!!!!!!!!!!

9. By T.N.E. on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

I agree. The more we develop a solid running game, the more the Offense will open up for the team, trick plays in all. The O-Line played phenomena!!! And might I add, the special teams did too. I guess it couldnt hurt to get the acknowledgment back in Sp. Team’s when folks like Mel Gray was returning the Ball, and some more greats that I can think of off the top of my head. I believe Toone is going to be special doing just this, and more.

Lets keep our Defense fresh, so that if need be, we can play a great game of Field Position.

Go Lions.

10. By Jeremiah on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

I agree with everyone… the Lions. Are looking fantastic so far. The important thing will be how it translates in the regular season. I think we are going to surprise some ppl! We all remember when the Pistons went 32-50 one year and turned it around to go 50-32 the following season, well the Lions have a chance to do the same thing this year. With the Johnson duo, Burleson, Scheffler, Best, and Stafford to name a few, the Lions offense could be among the best in the league. Our front four on defense could become one of the best as well. It’s all speculation right now but I am loving our potential! Go LIONS!!!!

11. By S.J.D on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

well thats really the most important part…. transition into the regular season. We went 4-0 in 2009′s preseason and then 0-16 in the regular season. It just wasnt our year not to mention injuries to some key players, but im glad that they brought in Schwartz for head coach. Hes really going to give our team a boost and i hope he stays our head coach in many years to come.

12. By joshie on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Calvin is a really great player to watch and his attitude is inspiring. It has to be hard for a guy with such a great skill set to be on a team that doesnt win. Im glad that he is so positive and is giving his best because its guys like him that will eventually turn the program around and start bringing wins and winners to Detroit. The only way that Detroit is going to get better is if they pick a gameplan and stick to it. We all remeber the “West Coast Offence” of martz and the “Thunder and Lightning” that tatum bell and tj duckett were suposed to supply. One year the lions are supposed to be a high powered passing team and then the next they are a power running team. Its no wonder they have only won 3 of their last 40. I like Shwartz because he is all about physical football. Hopefully the football Guru’s who run the lions will realize that they need to be consistent in their program to turn it around.

13. By Mike on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Two years in a row of wise draft picks! Offensive line that is giving Stafford time to distribute the ball (at least the other team isn’t in the backfield taking the handoff). Speed and size on the defensive side off the ball. Need to work on red zone productivity. Jason Hanson has always been solid but this new kicker what a leg. Forgive me Jason but it’s been awhile since you put every kick off in the endzone. GO LIONS, my support has never waivered don’t let me down.

14. By David Pernie Sr. on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

I’ve been a Detroit Lion’s fan since coming up as a little boy in the 1950′s. Believe me, there were some interesting characters and good, (maybe lucky), teams during that period. As tough as it has been for the Lions for a long time now..I’ve have been steadfast in my love for this team. It DOES appear that our Mr. Swartz IS the man who will very soon pull our Lions back to respectability. I’m looking forward to this season…just hope and pray that injuries don’t play a big role toward thwarting their success. Go you Lions!

15. By Jake on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Our offense will put up some points this year. Our defensive line will hopefully STAY HEALTHY and consistently harass the QB and plug up running lanes. If we are fortunate enough to stay healthy, and if Staff’ has grown as much as I think he has, thinks are not only looking UP for us but they are looking downright PROMISING. My worst fear is that we go 8-8 this year (WORST fear? WHAT?!) and before you all call me and idiot, let me finish. My worst fear is that we go 8-8, miss the playoffs (of course in our division) and then can’t live up to our expectations next year, and we get a lot of injuries or something and go 6-10 NEXT year. Don’t get me wrong, I want us to win every game, I just hope expectations don’t get too high too fast. After all, we have a young bunch of guys. Regardless, even though nothing has started yet, I just feel so much promise with this team. I’m smelling playoffs relatively soon, which is to say next year. But hey, who knows, Minny is getting hit with some injuries with their wide receivers, and Green Bay’s offensive line and defense might struggle. It’s not TOO beyond reason for the Lions to be at least in consideration for competing for the division by halfway through the year. I’m a dreamer, but it’s hard not to when we’re actually ACQUIRING TALENT through drafts.

16. By Jake on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

@thomas price
    I agree, stopping Aaron Rodgers is going to be tough. Not only for us, but for every team that plays them. We may give up some big plays on bootlegs, but there’s no denying that our vastly upgraded defensive line will work wonders in that department. I don’t know how many times last year I watched the Lions in complete misery, as we got absolutely no penetration whatsoever on the quarterback and were forced to just wait 3-4 seconds every play for Rodgers, Favre, or whoever to find a guy wide open down the field. I don’t see that happening nearly as much this year. Green Bay gave up a LOT of sacks last year, which is why they put Rodgers on so many bootlegs. But if their o-line still struggles and our d-line lives up to its potential, we may just have a chance of stopping the Pack attack.

17. By Det Steve on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

Nothing impresses me about the preseason the only thing I can take from it is that it looks like the dline is getting a push the Oline looks ok but still defense is too vanilla to tell how they will do when its for real

18. By G. Jones on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

We’ve got a really good team this year, with the exception of the secondary> if we can somehow fix that, man we could be talkin playoffs as early as next season.

19. By detroit lions all the way on Aug 24, 2010 | Reply

we look good on offense and defense. the thing is can we compete all 4 quarters, can we win the close game with 2 min left in the fourth. will we get too comfortable with a 10 pt. lead and lose a game in the 3rd cause we got comfortable. these are things we havent seen yet. can our 2nd string step up if needed during regular season. can we win the big games and can we be as 1 when all objects are thrown at you. you got to give the saints their props now its our turn!

20. By ricco on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

Stafford and the boys do look good but one glance at that schedule and I’m afraid its gonna be bad news.I figure it will be a season to grow on,I just dont see them slowing down a Green Bay or Minnesota.I have been a die hard Lions fan for 37 yrs and would love nothing more to see them win again consistantly.Good luck guys.

21. By T.N.E. on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

I was thinking today, that maybe BP, AND Kevin Smith along with the rest of the slightly injured(recovered) to injured Lions should maintain a “Stay Healthy” mind set, esp. if “you” didnt like the way “you” performed in a game. Its all coming together, so I’m like be competitive(physical), but Stay Healthy….Everybody. We wanna see “everybody” active for the regular season.

No offense intended to you Jake, but some things you have to wake up to. I was a “dreamer” a few years ago when I was saying we’ll win the Super Bowl for that year, along with being 6-10 for that year(do I have to mention our record???). Next year being the same, but realistically we were 8-8, or better. And in 2007 I actually thought that we would have made it to the playoffs. I woke up Jake. You’ll never see a bag over my head!

We’ve always kept a good batch of Linemen who worked well in other teams system. Mike Compton never got the props he deserved, until he went somewhere else. I’m like as long as we play smart and physical I dont care, to say the least. I’m just a fan that wants to see good football from his home team. Run the ball to the FB, and tell Cory to come home.

Got **** right the Lions as an organization has something to prove, and now you know The City love’s you. Super Bowl Champions!!!

22. By T.N.E. on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

A Little Locker Room Humor:

Ah Calvin, get BP right with the hair cut…LMAO
    BP, we want you back 150%, trust and believe that.
    I’m just joking!!!

23. By Roy on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

I’m most impressed with the defensive front four. Those guys played with relentless violence. I dont think an opposing QB took one comfortable snap in both games so far. Opposing teams can still get the big play on us. I hope Louis is on his game when he gets back, and that we focus there in the draft in 2011.
    The offense looked impressive as well, so many bloggers have been dogging the O-line for years including this year. But Matt has been standing upright in the pocket and has been getting good protection from what i’ve seen. there isnt any depth though, so I really hope those starters can stay healthy all season. Our offensive armory is the best i’ve seen since Moore, Morton, and Sanders. In the first pre-season game against the Steelers, it seemed like Matt wasnt getting enough air under the ball going to Calvin in single coverage, but threw kinda high to Jahvid in the flat. I’m sure they saw the film and fixed that, because it was good to go against the Broncos.
    It’s gonna be fun to watch Jahvid once camp breaks, after the 2-a-days are over.

24. By J on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

I nearly fell off my couch when I saw that 1st quarter TD to you Calvin. That ball was a lazer to the back corner of the end zone and you just went up and got it. Looking forward to 16 more weeks of that!

-J

25. By james on Aug 26, 2010 | Reply

Went to the game in Denver. The team looked good. I too have been a fan since the Wayne Fontz daze. I was about 15 then now 39. Cool story…. me and the family were walking down 16th street outdoor mall and who do we see…… Dominic Riaola eating ice cream. I was shocked and could’nt approach. Wanted to leave him alone to enjoy our beautiful state of Colorado. We will see you all in Detroit for a game. GO LIONS!!!!!!!

26. By TorinoGo on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

Does anyone else think that Drew Stanton should get a shot as the back up QB? I just think the kid looks impressive every time I see him on the field . From pre against 2′s & 3′s to regular season after the starter goes out . I say give the kid a chance , anyone else ?

27. By terry on Aug 27, 2010 | Reply

GO LIONS! ive been a detroit lions fan for 20 years and living near the illinois/wisconsin border this has not been easy for me. Every year i tell my friends that this is going to be our year but this is probably the first time ive ever said it and actually believed it. Just look at all the top 10-50 lists or the fantasy or sleeper lists and you find a lot of lions players on those lists. listening to the announcers even refering to things like the lions front four as if to say theyre something to respected. Or to talk about the offensive line as something to look out for amazes me and even more importantly, excites me. In last weeks game when detroit went into no huddle and kept denver on the field, that just shows me that some brains have been drafted as well. No offense to R.Maranelli. He truelly had a lot of heart and i think there was to much to soon asked of him. LETS GO BOYS!

28. By jacob on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

I love the way our offense is working, but I also like a lot is the pressure from our front four. Pretty soon we’ll be taking interceptions and fumbles back for tds. I am getting more and more excited as the preseason gets closer to an end, and as the regular season gets closer to the start. I can’t wait to see us tear down jay cutler and the bears on that first week of the season.

GO LIONS!

Big fan J$

29. By cpidaytrade1 on Aug 28, 2010 | Reply

Follett, Best, Nick Harris. CAL does right by us. Go Bears Go Lions

30. By Makdawgy on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Go Lions!

From watching the game vs Cleveland it seems like our offense has all the weapons it needs to be really good this year!

The first drive Jahvid’s long run and then catch were very exciting to watch, and I hope we get to see a lot more of that during the season.

31. By tae on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

i not a saints fan but I’m inspired that a team that historically suck could win the Superbowl that any team can. the lions do have a slightly tough season but you never know what could happen when the season start. with all teams you want everyone to be healthy. i believe the lions can sneak some wins. if that secondary can shape up i see a bright future. IF THESE PLAYERS SHOW A LOVE FOR THE CITY THEN THEY WILL WIN A SUPERBOWL SOON!!!!!!!!!!!