Johnson: ‘I hope he does outrun me – that means he’s scoring’

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on August 30, 2010 – 5:48 pm

“It was good to be back at home – in front of the home fans. We hopefully gave them something to look forward to so they can come out on Thursday as well. We were shooting ourselves in the foot there a little early – had some big plays get called back. But one thing I did like is how we responded to Coach after halftime. He said we wanted to score and we marched down the field and scored.

“I can already tell that defenses look at us differently with the way Jahvid can run the ball. And now, everybody’s going to see that film and see how explosive and shifty this guy is. They’re going to have to put more men in the box, which helps us out and vice versa. If that’ll be there for us on offense, we should get some good looks.

“It’s exciting when you have a guy who can take it to the house any time. One thing it does – it makes you have to block every play. If you don’t block, you’re going to get exposed. Definitely has us on our convoy.

“I hope he does outrun me – that means he’s scoring – but we’ll be able to get out in front. That’s one thing that Coach Jefferson is stressing, is that we get across the field to get those safeties so we get those touchdown blocks for him.

“I think so far this preseason, we’ve seen a lot of positive things in our position group. I don’t recall any drops – that’s a plus. Our route running has been pretty good. There’s a lot of positive things to be taken out of it. That’s really all you want to do right now. It’s really just a correction period before the season starts. We want to take all the positive and then turn all the negatives into positives.”

Tags: ,
Posted in Calvin Johnson Blog | 39 Comments »

39 Responses to “Johnson: ‘I hope he does outrun me – that means he’s scoring’”

1. By tony on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

All you fellow Lion fans……dont be surprised if this team sneaks into the playoffs this year. I cant predict the future, but dont be surprised if it happens.
    GO LIONS!!!!

2. By Mike on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

While I don’t think they will make the playoffs this year, I pray that they do! The Lions first team offense has been outstanding this year and will score some points. The front four has been dominant at times and I could see the Lions win the first two games. They are up against weak Offenses with weak O-lines and with weak secondary’s. It might all add up to 2-0.

3. By Dayle on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

We should see the playoffs coming a few weeks before they would actually make it so it’s not a matter of being surprised. Uncontrollably excited however, that’s more realistic. The day we clinch a playoff spot, I better be wearing a diaper. We bleed Honolulu blue! We, who are stilling supporting this team after what we have been through, deserve to see our Lions in the playoffs. Or at least kicking the crap outta GB.

4. By Tyson on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

I would really love to see that tony but if you have looked at are schedule we have the 13th hardest schedule in the nfl so im look at 6-10 year maybe 7-9 but i would be stoked to get 6 or 7 wins GO LIONS lets dominate are division. so far i think we can sweep chicago and go 1-1 against minnesota but green bay is looking pretty damn good even know preseason dont me nothing so we have to play hardcore defense against the pack and we can score points on offense no question about it but are defense has to hold them on 3rd downs. hate the packers. GO DETROIT!!! LETS DOMINATE!!!!!

5. By Chris on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Oh, while it would be fantastic to see the Lions have a winning record this year, thinking of the playoffs is a little premature at this point. I’ve been a loyal Lions fan for over 30 years, and every year I get excited about the new team. Then frustrated when the season starts. While I will always remain optimistic, let’s not jump the gun yet. There once was a team that went 4-0 and looked great in the preseason, and ended up the first team in the history of the NFL to go 0-16 in the regular season the same year.

6. By stetson on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

ya i would love to see the lions do good. we haven’t been doing that well in the past few years but its us loyal lions fans who go through thick and thin. So i think that the lions fans are the most die hard fans in football. i know we will do good because i believe in Matthew Stafford, and of course my man Calvin Johnson. between these two we can do some damage. so all i have to say is GO LIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND TO MY FELLOW FANS I RAISE MY CUP TO YOU AND SAY LETS KICK BUTT THIS YEAR

7. By Matt Helm, AZ on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

Out here in the desert it’s hard to hear good things coming from back home… Thanks for putting this up. What I’ve seen thus far is not a lot but what I hear are players looking inward for the betterment of those around them. I am so looking forward to putting up banner at work (in the courthouse).

8. By Flinger on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

I’m not an expert, but I have watched the Cle replay several times. There are a lot of people downfield looking for a block. Offside tackle. Receivers. Raiola trying to find someone to hit.

If you’re looking for something in the third pre-season game, it’s stuff like that. Guys looking for a chance to smoke somebody. Suh biting the head off a veteran QB. JuP plastering the receiver on the reverse after a big gain instead of shoving his shoulders out of bounds.

When’s the last time you were a little embarrassed because a Lion was too aggressive? Hmmmmm, I was NOT around for Night Train or Karras.

Rock on Lions.

9. By Greg on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

For what I’ve seen in our Defence and Offence starters, we should easily make a wildcard spot. If not, it means we made the playoffs. Yes… it’s Preseason… I know, doesn’t mean much. But if you compare the atitude of all the players from 3-4 yrs ago to this season. They look a hell of alot more relaxed and finally seem to be enjoying themselves.
    And that! is what will win the games for us this year.
    From Australia, GO LIONS!

10. By Ryan on Aug 30, 2010 | Reply

I agree with all of you. If we can force some 3 and outs and put the ball in the offenses hands we can make alot of noise this year. Especially in our division. LETS GIVE EM HELL LIONS!!!

11. By BILLO313 on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

i also believe a wildcard spot is in our future this year!!! i see alot of promise in this teams progress. and thats all we need is a chance. if we do get to the playoffs i believe we will make some noise there!!!

12. By BlackWolfStanding on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

With a core of youth with some ‘Old Salt’ sprinkled in, this team is heading in the right direct.

Did anybody see the Lion’s schedule this year? It looks like they played in the Superbowl last year with how tough it is. I always thought the NFL tried to match playoff teams with playoff teams the following year. And match the high draft pick teams with the other high draft pick teams. But where’s our token bad team in this schedule?

Yepper, it looks like one of the toughest schedules in the league. But good teams are molded from being pounded against great teams. And the hardest metal is hammered against an Anvil — not feathers. If this team is going to make steps towards greatness, then it’ll have to defeat only the toughest teams in the NFL. The fans of the Detroit LIONS would want nothing less. The Detroit LIONS would want nothing less.

Do you hear those footsteps? Is that victory coming?

13. By lamarkb77 on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Hey fella’s,

I don’t want to sound negative but there is nobody in the sports media that is giving the lion a chance at winning more than 5 games this year. I like to be a realist and I do think they’ll win at least 6 games, but the playoffs? lets not get ahead of ourselves… we are still struggling in the secondary and we have 2 of aur starting linebackers out with injuris. let’s hope we can claim a couple of L-backers that other teams have cut in the next 2 weeks. I hope we do have some upsets this season and yes I think we’ll sweep Chicago, but we have to have a better pass defense for any hopes of making the playoffs.

GO LIONS!!!!

14. By Scott B. on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Yes, our schedule is tough. That’s because the NFC North was pretty good last year with two teams over 11 wins. That matched us up against the AFC East and NFC East as the divisions the North plays against this year (OUCH, I know). However, our two extra games are St. Louis and Tampa, so that’s where our performance last year comes into play.

With that being said, as much as I’d love to say we will be in the playoffs, our schedule is just not to the point that I can feasibly see a 9 or 10 win campaign. I’m hoping 7 or 8 wins, and a playoff push next year.

15. By Josh on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Well we may not make to playoffs, but I think we’ll put hurting on some teams and they will thinkw twice before under estimating. Playoffs would be good, but going five hundred would a step in the right direction.

16. By Tony Tsantles on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Cool to see everyone is excited, but I think Tyson might be the only one who is in touch with reality. I LOVE the offense and the defensive line, past that we are in big trouble. The secondary needs some help and unless unproven vets like Houston and Wade can really step up at the corner spot than we are going to get screened to death. If I was game planning against this defense I would throw screens about 30% of the time, change my snap count continuously, and throw some 2-3 step drops in there with quick slant routes. If Delhomme’s sorry butt can work us with long drives and post 20-25 for completions to attempts we got HUGE concerns.

But who gives a damn, right? With Cool Breeze Stafford and Co, we’ll atleast put up enough points to compete. Bute lets stay in the 6-10 range for our feelings sake.

17. By DanYoInTheLionsDen on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

I to have a great felling about this team. we have pretty much everything we need. i just hope that we can build depth. i am really stoked and yes we have been looking real good this preseason. i’m ready for the regular season…. Lets Go Lions Hear The Roar!!!!!!!

18. By Kurt on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Man… what an optimistic crew. Do you people not pay any attention to games? Our defensve secondary is the worst in the league, has been for years. We will score plenty of points this year, but that won’t be enough to overcome the other teams scoring 24+ every week. If we got to 6-7 wins I’d be really happy. The playoffs though, It’s somewhat unrealistic with our D the way it is. The front 7 is starting to look pretty good, but if the guys behind them can’t cover anyone we’re still in some trouble.

19. By Jake on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

@Kurt Thanks for having some rationality. I have predicted numerous times on various NFL topics that I think we will go 6-10, and that is slightly optimistic itself. Certainly our offense and defensive lines are vastly improved, but if we fail to get pressure we are going to get lit up. I guess I can’t blame you guys for being overly optimistic, but don’t read too much into the preseason. Remember going 4-0 a few years ago and then not winning a single game? Yeah, that means preseason tells you nothing. Considering most of it is played by guys who won’t make the roster.

No way around it, however, things are looking up for the Lions. But playoffs? In this division in this season? Highly unlikely. You’re only setting yourselves up for disappointment. Next year is the year that the playoffs should be entering the realm of feasibility, assuming we build our secondary in the draft. Don’t get me wrong; it should be exponentially more fun to watch the Lions than it has been in a long time, but we still have a talent deficiency in special teams and the secondary.

20. By BlackWolfStanding on Aug 31, 2010 | Reply

Hi Kurt,
    Are we optimistic? Hell YES! Did you see the new players in the Lions Secondary? Let’s not forget, the improved Defensive line?

What does having a stronger defensive line got to do with pass defense? If the D-line can stop the run, then the secondary won’t have to cheat up to help out as often. They can sit back in the passing lanes and pick off balls or cover receivers.

I have no delusions about how good the defense will be. It will have to crack the top 16 in order for the Lions to stand a chance. From being near last in all categories last year, moving into the middle of the pack will be a tremendous step up. I feel there’s enough talent to be one of the top 10 defenses, just the team needs to gel. Chemistry must happen.

And let’s not forget the 12th man. The fans. They must believe. With out them, the team won’t try as hard. People give up. It’s human nature. You can read between the lines from some of the player’s quotes about how attitude has improved from last season to this one. WE MUST SUPPORT THE TEAM!

21. By chad on Sep 1, 2010 | Reply

Everyone knows the back 7 is weak, but if they make a few big plays a game whether an int or forced fumble, that alone could help win a few games. Look at what the saints did (im in no way comparing us to the saints), they stopped the run and took chances to make big plays that change the game. The way I see it, who cares if our DB gets beat going for a pick, he’s probably gonna get torched anyways.

22. By Tirique on Sep 1, 2010 | Reply

I also feel stoked about this season but I want to add a pinch of salt to everything…

We are very thin. We have little cover for key positions, we are struggling to stop third downs, we are down right horrible in the secondary (but we are not playing starters atm), we still need to be much less injury prone.

Here are a few questions…

1. What happens if Stafford goes down?
    2. What happens if we lose a few lineman, either side?

Trust me I want nothing more than a wonderful season for the lions but I will be happy with a more realistic 5-7 wins :)

GO LIONS!!

23. By jared on Sep 1, 2010 | Reply

tony, the lions would need a straight miracle just to finish 8-8, and im a lions fan too. lets just be real

24. By Walter Mahan on Sep 1, 2010 | Reply

I start every year off thinking da Lions are a playoff team and this year is no diffrent except maybe now others think so. As for tha schedule everyone is 0-0 right now ur season has ups n downs everyone equal right now GO LIONS!

25. By Bill on Sep 1, 2010 | Reply

I think the biggest hurdle for the Lions will be depth. We are finally as good as many teams in the NFL at the key positions, but our depth is weaker than many of the “top” teams. That doesn’t mean we aren’t a lot better than the past few years, we are. It does mean that we are probably a year or so away from a serious playoff run. However, I live in Chicago now, and the Lions are much better than the Bears, which almost every NFL analyst has at 9-7 and ahead of the Lions.

The biggest question marks for the Lions this year are in the secondary and on how much the O-line has improved, and the LBs positions. It’s great to actually see those as the questions marks for once, because those are what almost every team in the current NFL struggles with. We are finally catching back up from the Matt Millen debacle, and it’s great to see it.

26. By Lions4life on Sep 1, 2010 | Reply

I love how optimistic u guys r I am the biggest lions. Fan u will ever meet but I can’t believe u guys think playoffs. Don’t get me wrong that would b sweet but I’d like 5 wins. GO LiONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

27. By lamarkb77 on Sep 1, 2010 | Reply

Hey Tirique.

the answer to your first question is Sean Hill – An excellent aquisition from SF 49er’s, and A starter For some other teams in this leage. he played well in that game against the vikings in fact they had that game won if not for Favre’s hailmary.

As fr as the O-line We picked up a couple of them on waivers from Seatle and from Denver I think. Anyway, your right we are not too deep in any position except the QB position.

GO LIONS!!!

28. By Mark on Sep 1, 2010 | Reply

I have said this many times. i see the lions winning between 7 and 9 games this year. sweep of the bears, one against minnesota, beating st. louis, tampa, washington, and philly…that is 7, but the lions could steal one against miami or the jets(sanchez is not very good and they let their best RB go). no one in the league will be able to stop the offense as long as the line can keep stafford up, and teams that have trouble pass blocking will probably lose their QB because of guys like suh, vanden bosch, and avril.

29. By dylan on Sep 1, 2010 | Reply

5 and 11 is my guess but hopefully better lets do good boys!

30. By Walter Mahan on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

Injuries are a part of every teams season and the lions dont have much deepth but who does I mean who picked da Saints to win the superbowl last year its Da Lions time we as fans should just sit back watch and enjoy we deserve to see a winner out there cause we are the best fans in the NFL. Lets Go Lions!!!

31. By BEN B. on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

GO LIONS !!!!!! Long time fan from South Florida. Can’t wait till the Lions play the Dolphins.

32. By ward elliott on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

I THINK THIS TEAM WILL BE 500 OR BETTER, I KNOW WE PLAY ALOT OF TUFF TEAMS, BUT I THINK MATT STAFFORD WILL TURN THE CORNER FOR A BREAKOUT SEASON THIS YEAR. IF MEGATRON AND RECEPTICON STAY HEALTHY, THIS TEAM WILL PUT UP SOME POINTS

33. By Bob on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

We finally have a coach that can put a defence together. Now a couple of good o-line men,
    line backers, coner backs, cant be beat .
    GO LIONS

34. By lionsfan on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

im a big lions fan as long as they do better then last year im happy!!!!

35. By danny payne on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

i think we should do good this year… if the def holds up good the off will kill other def….. GO BEST….

36. By shawn on Sep 2, 2010 | Reply

cant wait to watch the human highlight real jahvid best. i think he alone is going to be a huge key to the lions success this year. he will open up the dangerous threat of our talented qb and recieving core.

as for defense, we have the potential to creat enough havoc in the pocket to make up for the weak secondary, a hurry can be just as affective as a sack if it causes a forced play . besides dont forget about the head hunter we got at saftey.

37. By Justin Perry on Sep 4, 2010 | Reply

GO LIONS!!!!!

38. By chris on Sep 5, 2010 | Reply

Big Steelers fan here but I had to check out the site to see the state of the Lions, I’ve got Stafford as my starter and Best as a backup on my fantasy team. I think I made a good move trading Burleson but who knows. What do we have in common, Lions fans? we both hate the Packers. Good luck silver and blue.

39. By Freddie Robinson on Sep 6, 2010 | Reply

Keep on keeping the faith, Lion fans. There is one intangible factor that I feel is not considered, and that is synergy. In essence, the sum of the whole is greater than the totality of the parts. For example. Vanden Bosch’s singular work ethic permeates and elevates his teammates’s work ethic. Thereby making the team as a whole more focused like a laser beam in their goal-specific workouts. Synergy is always exponentially graphed. It cannot be measured by normal empirical methods. Much like Suh’s raw agressive, indomitable will, this team HAS synergy which will be crackling like untapped lightning. The league will soon see and fear the Lions!