Johnson: ‘It is what it is. You have to move on.’

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on September 12, 2010 – 5:09 pm

Detroit’s regular season opener at Chicago began with momentum on the Lions’ side, but halted after a long touchdown from Matt Forte and the injury of quarterback Matthew Stafford. Stafford left the game with less than a minute remaining in the first half and wouldn’t return.

The Lions’ offense struggled in the second half, but it seemed things would end on a positive note. After the Bears took the lead with 1:32 remaining in the game, quarterback Shaun Hill connected with wide receiver Calvin Johnson for what appeared to be a potential game-winning touchdown.

The catch was ultimately ruled an incomplete pass, however, based upon the rule that Johnson had to maintain possession of the ball as he got up off the ground.

Johnson, who says he didn’t talk to the officials, said after the game, “It is what it is. You have to move on.”

With obvious emotion following the loss, Johnson recalled what he and Hill talked about prior to the drive.

Johnson: “He said he was going to put it up for me and give me a chance. He gave me that chance and I went up and grabbed it.”

There was no doubt in Johnson’s mind that he came down with the touchdown pass, saying “that’s why I got up right after and took off running.”

Head Coach Jim Schwartz, who was also asked about the play, said, “The officials officiate. They made the call and that’s the way they saw it. When he goes to the ground, as part of the catch and the touchdown, he has to come down with the ball. He didn’t come down with the ball. That play alone didn’t cause us to lose the game.”

Tags: , ,

146 Responses to “Johnson: ‘It is what it is. You have to move on.’”

1. By pono88 on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

Worst call in the HISTORY of pro sports!!1 EVER!! Is that offical on the Bears payroll or are the Vegas odds makers telling him who should win. I’ve got no respect for a league that has to cheat to get the outcome that it wants. The NFL needs to start changing the rules to apply to the law of common sense!! If a reciever catches the ball in the end zone with two feet down then has his knee down after a defender touches him then has his left had go out of bounds all before the ball touches the ground then it should be a touchdown!! I’m proud today to be a Lions fan but ashamed today to be an NFL fan! The Lions need to PROTEST the call!!! Grow a pair and show that we got cheated!!!

2. By ROBBEDLIONFAN#01 on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

That is some kind of defeatist attitude going on there. If I would have “known” I had the ball I would have fought the decision till my last breath!

Both hands, both feet, solid possession. TD!

3. By Katrina Hawley on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

Nice game!

4. By Jimmy on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

We Still got Screwed that should have been a TD.

5. By Brian on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

Once again the officals have to dictate the out come of a game

6. By Robert Smith on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

Coach has to say that. The truth is that was the worst reversal in the history of instant replay.

7. By Jon on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

The NFL’s new continuation rule is one of the worst rules I have ever seen. How terrible can things get!?! The Lions deserved to win that game! What an injustice to this hard-working team. It’s good to see that the team can put a corporate face (read: we don’t want to be sued by the NFL) on this but this was a tough call to swallow.

8. By Bill Comber on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

Calling back Calvin’s TD was among the worst officiating calls in NFL history! What’s done is done. However, why didn’t they nullify Chicago’s first TD when the receiver was showboating and let the ball go before he ever crossed the goal line? If they are going to officiate, how about officiating for both teams?

9. By Brian on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

U r right ,,,,,,lifetime. Football fan,,,,great td calvin,,,,,and to the people with the poweer to make it right………if that is what it is,,,,no thanks,,,,great game lions???????where is the players pride,,,,,,,,if that’s the game,,,,no thanks u can have it

10. By James Rosenberger on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

Attn: Jim Schwartz. He DID come down with the ball under control. Also both feet in bounds. Also rear end and rest of body in endzone. Ball in hand. It was a touchdown. No wonder this team doesn’t win. They have to play another NFL team and the whole NFL administrative organization. Next time, have the players take a schmoo into the endzone with them. Like the “process”, no one knows what that is either.

11. By Lin on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

That was a touchdown! You earned that touchdown because you caught the ball in the end zone; catching the ball should count as possession of the ball in the end zone, over the plane…You’re a good sport, and I’m a Vikings fan…Lin

12. By detroit lions all the way on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

lions has to blow teams out to get respect by the officials. its ok we will blow the bears out at home and officials cant save em next time.

13. By colo.lionsfan on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

the call was terrible. How much more can someone define what a catch really is? Now a running back should not be allowed to streatch his arm out with the ball due to lack of real possesion and control. GO LIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. By Robert on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

And as was brought up by the announcer, if a running back lets the ball go after crossing the goal line its still a td, wheres the rule for that? is running the football not still a “process” ? The lions won that game, nothing more to it.

15. By detroit lions all the way on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

the defense did an amazing job! i am proud to be a fan and the offense last drive of the game was awesome good job.

16. By Haywood Jiblowme on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

The bears should have lost that game, but also the lions should not have had that touchdown either because the runner never crossed the goal line. And so much for your awesome running back today that had 20 yards.

17. By Phuoc Nguyen on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

Wow i totally agree with u james. It will be impossible for us to win. Our defense was amazing till that forte pass. I know we gave up big plays but we held steady at the end. So sad and depressed.

18. By thenflblogz on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

Schwartz has to say that to the press or he’ll get fined, sanctioned, suspended… maybe we should wonder why Scott Linehan’s offense played so conservative all game? How about mixing it up a bit so the Bears LB’s don’t just keep blitzing freely. How about the no call when CJ got tripped and pushed to the ground that resulted in an interception. When you are a last place team. The NFL officiates in the same manner. Last place teams don’t get any calls, they pay hefty price tags for high risk draft picks, its a vicious cycle of a losing team. After losing the game today, I’m convinced the Lions have absolutely no chance this year. You’re looking at 0-6 now and that’s a shame. The defense played their heart out. The much talked about revamped offense is now leaderless and played horrible today.

19. By Rhino on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

In the event of all my celebration that hell yes, we did it to then have a rule like that which didn’t even apply was gut wrenching. Wanted to break my TV, smash something but I couldn’t. Never can I remember feeling so PO’d. But I will say it seemed that we were playing not to lose even though we were backed up the whole game. If your going to throw on 3rd down at your own 2 then do something the first 2 downs and get a damn first down. I saw this coming all the way!! Die hard Lions fan all the way!!

20. By Nathan on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

Did anyone else see the official right near calvin johnson? He signaled it a touchdown. So did they change the call on the field and then review it? The
    Lions won.

21. By Burgundy on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

What a joke.. everyone in that stadium knows that CJ won the game for the Lions, and the officials didn’t have the balls to make it right. Two feet and an azz down with possession should make it a catch, just like it would anywhere else on the field. The way I see it, the Lions are 1-0. Great job by the D, and the offense came through when it counted, regardless of what the “officials” say.

22. By Swampy on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

The NFL is over regulated it has become like the federal government. I hate the government and now I don’t like the NFL much either and if that is not a touchdown
    I can do without the NFL. Thank you NFL for black outs of Lions games. I can see I haven’t missed much.

23. By Eric on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

On the Calvin TOUCHDOWN,the Bears should have been called for too many men on the field…. oh wait that was the officiating crew.. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWFFFUL call!!

24. By timmy on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

I wonder how that play would of been called if it was the cowboys or vikings playing. Go Lions!!!!

25. By Mike Garrett on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

This is another one of those rules that resembles the “TUCK” rule whereby, an official has to forget what his lying eyes see but what some overly detailed rule states. That was the most RIDICULOUS call. I haven’t witnessed a call that bad since the officials ruled that VinnyTestaverde scored a TD because his helmet, not ball, crossed the goal line.

Then, what was worse was instead of trying to get a first down, on the last 4th down play, they throw a jump ball in the endzone.

Oh well, next week we’re at home against the Eagles.

Go Lions!

26. By Mike Platten on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

It’s tough being a fan of a team like the lions over the years because of all the games they lost on their own. But when a game winning catch like that gets taken away from you because of bad officiating it’s really tough. Why bother showing up at all when the officials aren’t going to let you win anyways. Great defensive front today guys. Let’s hope this pisses the team off and they come out next week and the rest of the year on fire.

27. By Benn Perry on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

No doubt about it, we got Galarraga’d AGAIN! Why is it that Detroit cannot keep from getting jobbed, regardless of the situation?

NOBODY can tell me, regardless of the incessant yammering by a “former” head official, that that pass to Calvin Johnson was INCOMPLETE!

NOBODY!!

The rule was probably intended to prevent guys from diving over the end zone in hot dog fashion, but was wrongly invoked on this play, period!

The saddest part is, it’s not going to even be reviewed by league officials because the NFL IS the league official! Wouldn’t want to prove a new, stupid rule to be ridiculous, so they have to stand behind the call.

I’m still wondering, though, why the “ruling on the field” wasn’t a TOUCHDOWN, especially since the closest referee who was trailing the play raised both his arms high in the air symbolizing TOUCHDOWN!

Someone has to explain to me WHO ruled it an incomplete pass and why THAT official’s opinion was considered “the ruling on the field!”

ROBBERY, plain and simple robbery – to another Detroit team…AGAIN!

What’s next, the Red Wings get an overtime winning goal waived off in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals?

The Pistons lose to the Russians when the referee gives them 3 opportunities to inbound the ball?

Puhleeeeze already!

I’m sickened by the NFL and if I wasn’t involved in a friendly weekly pool I probably wouldn’t watch another game this year. Either way, next year will be my final year of watching the NFL ~ when the strike or lockout occurs! Could never get my head around millionaires fighting about money with billionaires!

28. By Nicole on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

We can complain about the rules all we want, but the fact is that CJ didn’t complete the entire “process” today. Ball on the ground = no catch. It really is that simple.

29. By Jonny Lad on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

I am a Titans fan. After watching us clobber the Raiders, I stayed to watch the Lions// Bears game. Honestly, I was surprised to see the score in favor of the Lions most of the game. The bar I was at was filled with Bears fans. It was the most awesome thing watching Calvin catch the ball and palm it in front of the official followed by using it to get up of the ground. He springs up from the ground, releasing it. The official in front of him puts his hands up calling a touch down. I have never been so pissed watching all these F-ing Bear fans get a cheap win. I totally agree with you Pono 88. I will be routing for the Lions the rest of the season. In my mind Lions are 1 and 0. Any bear fan deep down inside knows it. I am a football purist and if we won like that I would be pissed.

30. By The Brick on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

The refs called the play the way the rule is written. It is a ridiculous rule and is in dire need of changing. There seems to be absolutely no point in having a rule like this. If it is a catch when a player has possesion and two feet in bounds on the sideline, why is it not that way in the endzone when it counts the most? CJ had two feet, his butt and an elbow down with obvious possession (he was holding it out with one hand the entire process without bobbling it). Only when he reached out with the ball to push himself up, did he “let go” of the ball. A similar incident happened last year to another team but I can’t remember who. It should have been changed this past offseason, but for some reason the NFL decided not to.

31. By Dan on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

Are defense did an amazing job in the game. That definitly was a win in my book. Calvin made an excellent catch at the end of the game. Was a touchdown no doubt about it. I could have sworn they ruled it a touchdown at first, and then after the review they said the call on the field stands. How was it overturned then? I’m pretty disgusted with the NFL right now. I just watched several plays on other games that people drop the ball after hitting the ground on a catch in the field, and none of them were incomplete. I would like to hear how this PROCESS works! Or if you run the ball in the end zone and fumble it is still a touchdown though! Hmmm. Weird!

32. By Nush on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

New Low in Professional Sports Officiating

That call was atrocious. It was worst than the MLB Call. This call begs the question when “common sense” is used in officiating games.

Ball crosses the plane; two feet down + Butt licking the ground; complete one handed-possession up till the ball touches the ground; after which he releases the ball in celebration…

Verdict: No touchdown……

Its time to usher in the next generation of refs. Obviously, This group is senile….

33. By all refs hate detroit on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

First it was jim joyce with a bad call. which im giveing him credit he came out as soon as he send what he did and admitted that he blew the call big time. it was a amazeing catch and kept both feet inbounds TD all the way. i bet if bears where down by 5 and made the same catch and it was over turned on a bad call they would be mad as hell. but they did not and they keep saying to bad rules are rules even if they are stupid rules. if it was them they would be complaining also.

34. By David V on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

Proud to be a lions fan today, I curretnly live in Chicago and will be wearing my lions gear in pride. Tough call, gotta move on, get Stafford back in action and focus on next week. Calvin…great catch, there will be plenty more where that came from.

35. By James Shoulders on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

To bad we are not allowed to swear on this site because this comment would be filled with them. I can’t even believe they could even call that anything but a touchdown. The next lions touchdown the hardknocks crew has to follow them into the shower to make sure they still have possesion of the ball all the way through the showering process. I do however think that the NFL needs to update their vision plan for their officials. Its getting to be like the WWE wrestling on TV. Pick the winner set up the scripts and screw half of the fans.

36. By CB on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

NFL officiating is totally out of control. Since when has a process mean more than common sense. THAT WAS OBVIOUSLY A CATCH. I have talked to Lions, Bears, Brown, Cowboys, and Raiders fans since the so called no-catch. Everyone agrees, even the Bears fan, the lions got a screw job. I am sick and tired of the NFL taking the fun out of the game and trying to control every aspect of the game. Let the boys play some football and let the players decide the outcome of the game. Good catch Calvin and awesome job defense.

37. By lions21 on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

The lions won the game fair and square, I was infuriated by the call and it was a flat out catch hands down.The officials rob’s players of there talent by making calls of this nature. I’d like to know who’s payroll these officials are on myself!! The lions WON that game… process? What a joke!

38. By jblohm on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

Any body who knows football..knows that was a TD. Hell..even somebody who doesn’t know football, knows that was a TD. How in the world can the NFL allow things like this to happen. If it’s “the rule” it’s a absolutely terrible rule! Even so..have some discretion! How could they look at that replay and not see that he made the catch and he was getting up to celebrate with his team when the ball was let go. I just can’t believe what i saw today! Just another example of the Lions getting shafted. And i don’t believe in that conspiracy crap about the league wanting the Lions to loose..it’s just that the Lions have the absolute worst luck of any franchise in sports and it makes me terribly sad! I know this might sound dumb for me to say, but that call could possibly make the difference between us making the playoffs or not. I’m disgusted because the Lions won that game, no matter how ugly it was, and have nothing to show for it. My day is ruined and football is dead to me for the rest of the day. Thanks NFL, for the worst call i’ve ever seen!

39. By John I on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

I would not take the team on the field again until that loss is overturned. What if the lions are able to win 8 games ? This cowardly act may keep them out of the payoffs. Now I know they are not SB contenders and perhaps the league only cares about those teams that have a chance to win and can bring big money and TV RATINGS. But this is a shameless act of the league and the officials. Why not stay out of the game and let the teams play. You so d— board with your lifes that you sit around ib the off season I find ways to affect the outcome of games. This was not an mental laps of judgment this was planned and the officials could not wait until they could find a situation to screw some team. This was perfect for the league and the officials. They found a Patsy they could screw and not affect the real good teams that help get the ratings.

If the lions agree to field a team for any more games until this loss is corrected, I would not blame all fans for boycotting the rest of the season. You must stand up to wrong. You must

40. By Dan Findlay on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

Calvin,

Great Catch…Class Act On The Comments…”Move On”…
    The Hall Of Fame Awaits…

“It Is What It Is”…

41. By Shack on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

ZCome on Schwartz, let’s get angry about this one. “The officials officiate”, “one play didn’t lose this game”? Give me a break!!! i called a friend of mine who coaches high school ball and he told me that he would have been ejected from the game had he been the Lions coach. Let’s see some fire from the head man in charge please!!!!!

42. By Lynn on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

Funny how Donald Driver basically had the SAME type of catch in the endzone today, and the Refs ruled it as a TD. The Lions deserved that TD! So much for “progress”…

43. By Me on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

Suck it up! Atleast the Lions showed up and played well for a game. Yes, it was a bad call, but they played really well. This is the first time in years that they have showed any progress at all!

44. By Benn Perry on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

Nicole, then please explain why it’s a touchdown by merely crossing the plain of the goal line, regardless of whether someone slaps the ball out of the player’s hand or if he drops it. PROCESS my eye!!

45. By Rob on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

On the rushing TD review, you can clearly see after the initial stop that he swung his elbow with the ball over the line before going down. TV didn’t show it for but a split second, but if you have the footage and pause it, it WAS a TD. This is what the refs were able to see.

CJ didn’t put the ball on the ground on the way down, he put it on the ground on the way UP. This is the worst call in the history of the NFL. I will not be signing up for NFL ticket as I had planned when I move to Virginia next month. I will give no more dollars to a corrupt organization.

46. By bill on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

we got scewed clearly he was down with both feet 2 second ruleor 3 sec. rule he when down on to knees 2 second rule then he set the ball down and started to celerbrate the touchdown the commish has got to look into this one

47. By Kev Dogg on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

Man, you guys got robbed. What a BS rule. I was rooting for the Lions, too.

48. By James Scott - Ypsilanti on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

It goes to show that EVERY time I think I know this game they make up another silly rule NO one has ever heard of. Even the bears fans thought it was a touchdown. Even the official in the endzone signalled a touchdown. So much for breaking the plane of the end zone, knee down, control of the football, etc. Another thing it shows is the powers that be in the NFL are more worried about flexing their big brother rules than living in reality. Kinda like the stupidity of the 75 mile black out rule. Its like a kid asking to do something and the parent saying NO CUZ I SAID SO. No room for voicing your mind after the game either if your a player or coach for fear of the big brother NFL commission.

49. By James Shoulders on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

Benn Perry I agree the official in the endzone raised his hands in touchdown fashion and the ruling was play call stands which should have been the touchdown. But, no one seems to have seen the official calling it a touchdown, but all of us pissed off lions fans, at those idiot officials. I never once heard that anyone called the play incomplete when did that happen. I was surprised when they called it play stands and it was 3and 10 again

50. By Bill Mi on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

Isn’t the first rule of instant replay reviews that the evidence must be indisputable to over turn a call on the field? The call could have went either way,but it was called a touchdown, the evidence is 50/50 at best..the touchdown should have stayed…did these officials gather together and realize the Lions might actually win and pull another screw over on us Lions fans…seems that evidence is indisputable there…same old NFL games…

51. By Fred on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

Every receiver that reaches the end zone and drops the ball should be called back if you want to follow that rule.

I don’t care if it is a 1 yard catch, or a 99 yard catch.

Just being sarcastic, sorry.

To tell me that Calvin didn’t have COMPLETE control of the football is crap!

Fred

52. By James Shoulders on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

Everybody should e-mail the NFL like I did about 25 times.

53. By jackieo. on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

I’ve read the “explanation” of Johnson’s no-catch several times and it just gets dumber and dumber with each round. I agree with those who have said if that’s Peyton Manning or Tom Brady (Drew Brees, Brett Favre, etc.) throwing the ball, it’s a touchdown, pure and simple. Oh well, it’s just Detroit, right? Go get em’, Lions. Play with a chip on your shoulder the rest of the season. You’ve earned it. Gutless refs, gutless Bear fans cheering the call. You shouldn’t be holding your head high on this one.

54. By lynn on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

Robbed! lions looked great- especialy defense. Rule says must have control in act of catching when go to ground, but the ball was ALREADY caught when he went down. Can’t wait for Philadelphia home opener. Coming in from IN to see them win their second game and go up 2-0

55. By C on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

I hope Stafford is O.K. The defense looked great.

We are in big trouble without Matt

56. By Chicago100 on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

I’m a Bears fan but I agree that was a TD even if the rulebook says it is not. The continuation rule of ’09 is not logical. I was actually ready to take the Bears loss during the booth review, so I didn’t quite understand why it was even under review. However, I think it’s wrong to blame the Bears for the lousy call. I can tell you no Bears fan is proud of today’s win but we’ll take it since we can’t give it back.

57. By MPL on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

I understand it was the right call given the rules that are in place. But that rule needs to be changed so this doesn’t happen again.

58. By dh200921 on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

He Lost control of the ball yes he had both feet down and he had one hand not two on the ball and when he hit the ground he let go of it obvious fumble which makes it an incomplete pass if he would have had two hands on it and hit the ground like a champ they would have won

59. By Pro Wrestling on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

This is great! Maybe people will now Relize, the NFL is a for profit, Entertainment Business. High Revenue Teams must be in the playoff race in December. Detriot is not a High Revenue team.

60. By Dan D on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

I AM sick that was horrible not that they played worth a crap after Staford got hurt but that call was SICKINING

61. By yooperman on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

MR FORD please file a protest with the commissioner or the LIONS will keep getting screwed they should rule it a TOUCHDOWN and finish the game with 24 seconds remaining before the next BEARS/LIONS game at ford field this will be fair to both teams.

62. By David Heath on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

Wonder if he will get a Vett like the Tigers pitcher. Worse call
    ever!!!!!

63. By art on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

How is it the right call? He wasn’t making a diving catch where you would not be taking steps, therefore would need to hold the ball throughout. Does the rule apply when steps are taken, with control, then hips and knee down?

64. By James Shoulders on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

Montana to Clark for the winning touchdown of the superbowl what no touchdown because Clark threw the ball to the officials after the play, that would have been just as rediculus as this call with CJ.

65. By Andrew on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

Green Bay should have challenged LeSean McCoy’s touchdown in the 3rd quarter. He clearly ran into the endzone, fell down on his own accord, then got up ran for the goal post and lost control of the ball. His effort for additional yardage and a “second touchdown” was clearly a “continuation” of the play that should have negated the original touchdown. At least Calvin maintained possession on “both” of his TD efforts.

Every time someone jumps up and spikes the ball that should challenged for loss of possession during the continuation.

I’m embarrased for the NFL. Horrible call.

66. By mazbdkgo on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

Bears did a better job anyway 400 yards of offense compared to less than 100.

67. By Jeff Kulju on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

A 5 year old could of made that call better then the so called officials did! you would have to be completely blind not to see a touchdown!! were did they get the CLOWN that made that call?? off the streets of chicago?? this will go down as THE WORSE CALL IN NFL HISTORY!

68. By Bears Football Fan on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

The call was the right one based on the rule, but the rule is flawed. It was very obvious the CJ had complete control over the ball. He thought he had it bagged and didn’t try to hold on any longer. I agree, Lions should have gotten that one.

However, the TD that Best got was questionable. I thought it looked like he was down without crossing the plane but they called it aTD anyhow.

Either way, good game and very entertaining. I hope Stafford is okay and healthy enough to play next week.

Good luck, Lions.

69. By mazbdkgo on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

also he bobbled it and let go in the process when a running back crosses the plain its a touchdown because he is on the ground with full pocession throughout the process.

70. By mommamel on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

The Chicaco Bears organization need to stand up and do the right thing!!! I am both a bears and Lions fan, but even the Bears know the Lions won that game. The Bears should forfit that game to the Lions if they really are the true sportsmen they claim to be!!!!

71. By roger on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

Last game of 2004 — Bears in Detroit and they grab a TD pass right at the end of the game. OH NO! Overturned by the officials even though it was an obvious correct call on the field. First game of 2010 — justice is finally served for that blown call. Yes, the Lions should have won but as a Bear fan I will take it because official’s bad calls and in this case a bad rule to begin with are all part of the game.

72. By Chris on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

Granholm….Joyce….NFL replay idiots…how much more can we take?

73. By Matthew on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

That was the most bogus call I have ever seen….and the replay official IN Chicago? A coward!

74. By rap77 on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

That was a TD.

75. By Joseph Donohue on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

What a shame, live in New Jersey, but have been a lions fan since I was a kid.That was some game and the ref, stoled a win.

76. By Gary Carr on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

That was a touchdown. Everybody so focused on watching the ball in the replay, nobody saw his free hand sliding to the back of the endzone. I did slow motion on the replay and his back hand looks like it touches out of bounds. With that said I believe it then should been dead ball before the ball comes out of his hand. TOUCHDOWN.

77. By Jesse on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

SAD!!! so sad when these guys are out there busting there butts for us michigan people and they get shafted…. I hope this makes are lions team hungry and mad as hell! if you saw k.v. after the game that man played his heart out soo sad… worst call i have ever seen!!!!! REDICULUS

78. By Randy Sorensen` on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

What happens when someone spikes the ball in the end zone. This is the NFLs way to control the winner in any game that way Favre can win another super bowl then go away for good.

79. By kevin b on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

Wow, Calvin makes a great catch then puts both feet on the ground for a touchdown, yet what he does after that makes it not a touchdown? HONESTLY….thats just ridiculous, the NFL has the dumbest rules, i guess if i go on a killing spree and then give some money to a charity immediately following the murders, It would be ruled that iI am a good person because of what I did last, and that my first action doesnt count. Way to screw a team , good job NFL officials and rules commitee, hope your all very proud of your rule making skills. WHAT A JOKE!

80. By Nanook on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

Someone ask the ref’s how much they made in vagas on that call. I’m done with the NFL

81. By Eric on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

If the Lions organization does nothing about this miscarraige of justice, then I will not care to watch this team again. I would care anymore about them, fines be darned. Any money paid should be considered worth it. When a player hits the dang pylon with the football its a TD. When the player holds the ball at the plane and loses the ball, its a TD, when the Lions score a TD, it is not. If the Lions do not stand up for what is right, then they are as pathetic as everyone says they are. Stand up for yourselves, cause nobody else will. Way to go CJ.

82. By Skip on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

The Lions got Scewed from a win that the team and city deserves. I think that the NFL needs to realize that bad calls only cheapen the game and ultimately if you make the fans upset they will lose value and fans will turn to another sport and away from that that corporations control the outcome. Come on NFL lets start playing by the basics of football and give back the sprit to the team!

83. By Nalu on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

Terrible call, plain and simple.

84. By Bears Fan on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

Im a die hard Bears fan and I and every other Bears fan i talked too totally knows Calvin Johnson scored the TD. It wasnt a great win for us Bears fans being hand fed to us like that. Sorry for the loss and hopefully when we meet up again the Lions will put up a fight at your house. Good luck to you all.

85. By PackerFan on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

You have a right to be PO’d Lions fans – that was one of the most ridiculous calls I’ve ever seen.

As I Packer fan I love it when anyone (except the Vikings) beats the Bears. I also have Stafford as my fantasy QB – hope he is OK!

I also have Jahvid Best – any thoughts on his debut? Only 20 yds in 14 attempts, but two scores. Bears run defense is brutal, so I’m sure that was a factor

86. By #1DetroitSportsFan on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

Worst call I’ve seen since the phantom pass interference call gave ohio state the national championship against Miami. Miami won that game and the Lions won today end of story.

87. By Mike on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

As a Bear fan, I really totally agree. Pictures do not lie, but stupid refs agree. I would have taking the loss in stride, but a win is a win. I feel for you guys, besides I have to admit it, it’s a TD.

88. By matt paulic on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

Im sickened by the way the Lions keep coming up BLACK an BLUE. Maybe they need to change their colors. I want an answer by the NFL and not some run around like a prison attorney answer on why THAT was not a touchdown. It has to be fixed. The Lions are 1-0 no matter what anyone says. Even in the booth ,they got it wrong . It wasent like the Tigers no hitter getting spoiled. There is no review in baseball. This is a much larger scale of corruption and game fixing going on in the NFL. Maybe Ill just stick to High School football. I have lost the desire . Should we continue to give in to corporate corruption by supporting the NFL? If your a Detroit Lion reading this, keep your head up and may this inaction by the NFL robbing you of your dignity be the motivating factor to play for broke. lay all your cards on the table and scream to the top of your lungs. WIN the division this year and dont let NOBODY get in your way . I promise you, this is the motivation you needed to show the world your for real!!!!!!!

89. By AP on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

Another win taken away for no good reason.

90. By Jeff Quider on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

The sad thing about this call is that the Lions might only win four or five games ths year, and that was a game that could have been a win. The rule was not applied correctly in this case. I agree that if a player dives for the ball catches it in the air and then lands they should maintian possesion thought the “process”, but in this case the player left his feet and then came down with possesion and both feet…Play over, Game over, LIONS WIN, Any Questions???????

91. By michael Haase on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

It’s like those buffalo wild wing commercials where they fix the game. Ha Ha.. but seriously I’m pissed off!!!!

92. By Adam Norton on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

So if this would have happened on the sideline than what? I usually see a catch than two feet in before they fall out of bounds. What is the difference?????

93. By S.J.D on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

yes i watched the game… yes i watched that play…. and what i saw was a win for the lions. Bogus call by the ref… Jim Schwartz cant say it so i’ll say if for him. We got screwed out of an amazing game. That referee needs to be referred to a eye doctor before he refs another game. The line judge got it right. TOUCHDOWN! As for the other officials… NO RESPECT FOR THEM AS OF NOW.

94. By K.P. on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

Robbed !!!

Ex- Viking fan turned Detroit Lion fan

95. By Eric on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

Really Calvin had 2 touchdowns taken away.! We were kickin the bears tails up an down the field! im a life long lion fan..and i have never seen nothin like that..The secondary can really lay some wood on u..i was really proud of those guys..THAT DEFENSE..balled outta control..with bad field position this is the best lions d i have ever seen! We need 2 give Drew some burn if Matt cant go..SUH is the truth..Keep ya head up guys>>everyone saw that..nfl get on ya job..

96. By michael Haase on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

the NfL knows they got it wrong they took the Video off of the Main Website

97. By yooperman on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

worst call in the history of the NFL! MR.FORD please show you care about LIONS football and protest the call file a protest if this happen to any other team , say like the cowboys ,patroits,packers, or colts you’d never hear the end of of it. show some guts and make this rite! by the way isn’t the FORD MOTOR CO. the largest advertiser for the NLF TV DEALS!

98. By Pack12 on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

I am not a Lion fan or a Bears fan however all I can say it is so SAD to see the NFL change the rules to be so totally un-football friendly. This was a touchdown in any common sense of the football world. But what you may have seen is that there seems to be less and less common sense in the NFL – (No Footbal League) and its so called changing of rules. It really is time for the commissioner to step in and take charge of this absolute crazy rule as well as some others. I really have a hard time believing that the owners and leaders of the other NFL teams thought this was a good idean and rule??? C.J. great CATCH!!! You really derserved the WIN. Lions are 1-0 how bout it Com-MISS?? They seem to be able to take wins and bowl games away in college. Maybe this it is time to take them away in the NFL and award the Lions the win. Just a thought.

99. By sorehead on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

I’ve watched football and the Detroit Lions all my life. If that was not a touchdown then nothing is. The refs calling this game are a joke. It makes me sick. Cheated by the refs.

100. By Spydre13 on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

Let’s get serious here, the ball popped out of his hand and he tried to make it look like it was on purpose. The call was right. All he had to do was tuck the ball in, but instead he put his arms out trying to brace himself.

On his catch right before that he turned the wrong way, instead of going out of bounds, which led to burning an extra 10 seconds and losing 1st down because they had to spike the ball.

The defense was incredible today, but the offense was TERRIBLE! How many times did they pick up 0 yards on 2-3 run plays in a row, or pass to a receiver standing on the line of scrimmage? I don’t care who the QB is, if they would have called plays like they did in the last minute they would have won easily. The only reason they scored any points at all is because the defense forced some turnovers, there really isn’t anything positive the offense did besides that last drive.

I’m not sure if I can suffer through another season cheering for the worst team in the NFL.

101. By Angry fan on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

Nothing in the rule says he has to stand up with it..the rule says he has to maintain possession through hitting the ground which CJ did..or does hes butt hitting while keeping complete control of the ball not count…This is not just a bad rule..it was the wrong call! Absolutely rediculous call.

102. By gene brunette on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

PACKERS FAN HERE: Terrible NFL Ruling for you fans. I’m sorry you all had to experience this. It should have been a catch and was a great catch in my opinion! Horrible that our NFL has come to this! It will most likely get worse, rules, rules, rules, rules. stay tough

103. By Rugerman on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

Hey guys,

I’m a Bears fan, but have always like the Lions (it’s a Barry Sanders thing). The rule sucks, but they did apply the rule right. I do, however, think that there needs to use a little more sense about the applying the “spirit of the law” vs the “letter of the law”. This same rule contributed to one of the Bears losses last season, so I know your pain. But really, It was just one play.

104. By Dan Retzler on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

Ok, I wish that just a split second after Calvin caught the ball, took a bump, and his second step/lunge, he’d been hit by another defender knocking the ball out. I wish this because there is no doubt in my mind that in this case they would have reviewed to see that he got his second foot down before the ball was knocked out, and ruled it a touchdown. Imaging that! We all know it’s true. GEESH!, the man established possession by taking two steps and landing down without a bobble, and he further established the touchdown by rolling over and touching the ball itself down in the endzone with still full control and possession. Supposedly then, the rule means that if I catch a ball in the endzone, take two steps then lean down and with full control of the ball touch it to the ground, leaving it there for the officials, I’ve not scored a touchdown. This cries out for rectification! Yes, hold the first ever NFL replay event, of just the last seconds after the touchdown. It’s the only way, and surely the right way. It wouldn’t take much time, if considerable expense (TOUGH!).

105. By Eaglesfan4life on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

WOW im a die hard Eagles fan but I love the Lions. There skill positions just seem to have so much swagger to them. Yeah I have never seen a worse call then this he had 4 feet, two knees, a cheek, and an elbow down and he got up to celebrate….. Hopefully we will see these officials going to jail for contract violation in a few weeks.

106. By Edward Huffmaster on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

….Great Catch CJ, Bad call Ref’s, I’ve been a Lions fan my whole life, my first game was back in the mid 50’s at the old Tiger’s Stadium and i can’t tell ya how many times i have seen the lions loose because of a “close call” but c’mon man, this was a real bad call. so where does the process of the catch start and stop because i have seen a lot of receivers catch the ball at the 2 yard line and while in mid air as they are going out of bounds reach out with one hand to break the plain of the goal line and that’s a touchdown. or how about when the ball is caught with one hand and one step later they are slam dunking it over the goal post. Just what is the process of the catch ? Oh well, just another day in the life of a Lion’s fan.

107. By what on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

@Eric “We were kickin the bears tails up an down the field!” Did you watch the same game as me? There’s not a statistic in the entire game that will support that. How many total yards of offense? How many first downs in the second half before the final drive?

And while I think it should have been a TD, I agree that the call was a good call. The rule might be shaky at best, but it was definitely correctly applied here. According to the rules as they’re written, Johnson did not have possession of the ball because at the end of the catch he trapped the ball using one hand and the ground, regardless of what happened while he was in the air.

108. By TJ on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

I’m a Vikings fan, and I am most disturbed by the officials’ ruling (and also with the NFL, if some rule now exists to nullify what should be considered a touchdown) at the end of today’s game at Chicago. The ball was caught, the ball was not bobbled, and then two feet were down — end of story. Or so it should be. But then this is the NFL that lets QB Vick play again after what happened with the dog-fighting incident (not to mention the QB Rothinsberger – sp? – matter).

109. By randy p on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

ford family pay the fine that the coach should get for calling a spade a spade. the call was bad. you say it or have the coach say it. on the up side …. the team played well today. lost the starting QB but pushed on. most teams would have folded right there. God help me but i love the lions. now go out and win the next 15 games. GO LIONS!

110. By mark on Sep 12, 2010 | Reply

someone give calvin johnson a new car !!!!!!

111. By Upset in Traverse on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Unreal, sorry for the Lions:-( Welcome to Chicago!!! Detroit was not supposed to win this game, and the refs made that happen. Very reminisent of another blown call against Detroit earlier this year for Galaraga and the Tigers. Sad to be a Detroit sports fan right now, because there is nothing us as fans can do.

112. By Packersfan on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

As a Packers fanwho lives in Chicago, I watchedthe game out of sheer interest in the NFC North and a total dislike for the Bears. As the game proceeded I found myself cheering wholeheartedly for the LIONS. When they last drive began, I was on my feet in my living room pacing. When the CJ caught the ball, I cheered, loud enough that my Bears loving neighbors could hear me. But then, I watched what has become the Norm for the NFL. Giving the game to the team THEY feel should win. If that same play had happened on the field, not the inzone, it would have been ruled complete. But because Lovie’s job is on the line, and Jay the Trust Fund Wonder are both about to get axed, they decided that the team that played their hearts out should get screwed! Win you come visit Lambeau, I hope you have a much better time with the officials. (but I can’t cheer for you that day!) Good luck agains Philly!

113. By detroit1 on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

What a bunch of BS! They took a rule out of a dusty rule book implanted in their ass to take that play and the game away from this team. What was CJ supposed to do? stand back up cradle the ball, walk around the end zone for a min, than personally hand the freaken ball to the official. Cuz if that wasnt a TD than all them players who catch the ball than spike it a second later shouldn’t be called for a TD either. They could take that rule and shove it back up their ass, it obviously doesnt get used very often, but of course if its gonna get used on any team might as well be the lions…complete BS!

114. By David Howard on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

I’m a Bears fan, and in my own belief that was a catch. But the way the NFL rule reads, he did not make that catch. I’m not saying I agree with the way the rule is, but I don’t get paid to make the NFL rules.

115. By drunkoffjuic on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Life long Bears fan, and i thought the call was bad. But after looking at rule books i came across this:

If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball after he touches the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone.

Johnson did not do this. He had the ball in his right hand and as soon as that hand (with ball) hit the ground, the ball poped out. PASS INCOMPLETE!!

Sorry guys, tough loss.

116. By scarro0 on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

we have a bar in sacramento that has got to be the biggest Lions following in NoCal. I’ve watched every game with almost the the same group of guys since i was 17, (and getting kicked out for no ID at the age of 17… 16 yrs ago) and i’ve never seen, 90’s playoff games included, us this low. that should say alot. “By the letter of the Rule” it’s still a touchdown! “Got to have possession when coming down” How is his butt not considered “coming down” Did anyone see him juggle the ball when he landed?!? He held it like michael jordan would hold a softball! So don’t buy for a 2nd how the league explains this! Something BAD happened today. to all of us. i hope we, and Detroit, can recover

117. By Tony on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Great call, I called it myself as it happened. if this would have been anywhere else on the field it would have been an incomplete pass. The endzone is no different. He was in process of catching the ball, and falled to do so as he landed. End of story…

118. By jonathan on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

The bottom line is this. The Lions were out gained by 300 yrds…The Bears tried to give them the game, but the refs wouldn’t let them. What’s done is done. (There was still 24 seconds left in the game. The Bears would have probably kicked a game winnnig field goal anyways)

Bad call, bad team.

119. By bob on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

for those who say he lost the ball look again he sat the ball on the ground. it was a great catch and a td and yes if it had been a popular team aka pats,indy,giants you can bet it would have been a td. i now truely believe that the games are fixed and the head refs of each game are on the take ..one of thier own call the touch down and before the booth they change the call then the booth review,maybe the booth should have reveiwed it and not the guy who changed the call to start with. i would want to call myself wrong either.lol,,,still see alot of hope for this team if we can get past the poor officheating.

120. By tater55salad on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

If they allow them to over turn Johnson’s “catch” then they’d have to overturn every other catch over the years where the reciever didn’t complete the catch…

121. By Frank Nicholas on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Johnson,
    Feeling bad for you today! I guess this proves I’m getting old, but in my day
    you’d have had that touchdown. I looked and looked at that scene and for the
    life of me, I couldn’t see what you did that was wrong. I’ll pray that the Lord will give you the strength you need to get through that experience. Phil. 4:13 Keep your chin up! You have a great team there! Just think about the things your team did
    that were right. That goal line stand was awesome! Your catch was awesome, as well! Maybe that sad experience will keep you from celebrating so enthusiastically
    and inspire your team to win the next ones. Oh yes, I’ll still be cheering for Chicago, but I’ll never forget your outstanding effort!

122. By krytos on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Watch this play from the super bowl last year and tell me why this was overturned into a completed pass and 2 point conversion and why CJ’s TD didn’t count. Bunch of garbage.

123. By Diggsjd on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Yes it was a bad call and yes that call cost the lions their first road game win in 3 years. Yes Tron shoulda got up with the ball, went to the sideline with the ball, taken the ball into the locker room, taken the ball on the bus back to Detroit, and finally taken the ball out to post game meal. Maybe, just maybe things woulda been different.

124. By Eric on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

too bad for us lions fans lookslike we dont stand a chance playing against 11 guys on the other team and the refs too. no wonder we cant win

125. By Jay N FL on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

That was a TD, I am a Falcons fan watching all the games at a bar in Florida. And I am absolutely disturbed about bad calls. I am becoming a Anti- NFL fan and more of a players fan every bad call! Whoever decided that call should be fired and sent to water cooler status! Sad day for anyone who watched the Lions and anyone who loves a true fought out game, just like Steelers and Falcons! NFL needs to Man UP! and Change that call or i will be looking forward to a lock out next year and do more fishing in FL waters! Fish on!

126. By Matt on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

We should have won that game. Awesome try Calvin. you Should have continued to have control of the ball, man, you know better than that. GO LIONS!!!!!!

127. By jason on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

well all i can say is swartz is very wrong about that call any other coach would be pissed i mean the guy got to feet in and then landed on his butt/knee i mean what else does the guy have to do do a couple flips and a dance before it is a touchdown worst call i have ever seen in my life…

128. By LionsFan4Life on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

First off all im going to say is wow.. This is possibly the worst call in the history of all sports!!! Calvin…what a spectacular catch you are the man! i mean i didnt know that if a reciever catches a pass in the endzone with both feet down his butt and hand on the ground that it wasnt a TD catch?? and he was clearly getting up to celebrate with his team calearly! its soooo obvious when he is getting up he kind of snaps his hand on the ball to make it roll if you watch carefully. He had possession the whole damn time. This is such an outrage for any fan even if your a sick bears fan?? This by far has to be the NFL’s darkest hour. So proud to be a LIONS fan but the officials wont allow the lonely 0-16 winning lions to win a damn game i just love it. way to go detroit good game out there.

129. By LoneStarLion on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Nobody seems to be talking about the fact that the original ruling on the field (by one ref) was that it was a TD. They huddled up and decided that “the ruling on the field was incomplete pass” — WHY? What made them change that?? There is no way that it was an “obvious” incomplete, otherwise the outrage wouldn’t even be there…

What did the “ruling on the field” mean?? As a practical matter, we know overturning the ruling is harder — the old “incontravertable proof” burden. But that’s just the point… before he let go of the ball, he was down; one of his hands had slid thru the endzone (thus out of bounds, thus ending the play).

If the ruling had been TD, there was not enough video proof to overturn. If the ruling was incomplete, there was not enough proof to overturn (though I might still argue that one, since he slid out of bounds before he let go of ball). The ruling on the field matters, and refs are supposed to make the call that is most obvious — then let replay fix it if – and only if – it is “incontravertably” wrong.

AGAIN, I ASK: Why did they change the call on the field to incomplete pass??!?!!?

130. By Emily on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

I haven’t been this proud to be a Lions fan in well – a really long time. The team played great. Who knows, if Cheap shot Urlacher might have played nice, the second half may have looked different. Hill did alright, last drive. WOW – what a defense. Offense sells tickets, Defense wins championships. Nice job guys. All I got to say is Philly – be afraid, be very afraid. We’re back and we’re pissed…………Go Lions.

131. By BILLO313 on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

i read through each and every one of these comments thats posted and i believe there was only one that agreed with the call. i am SOOOO effin pist right now that they called that incomplete!! i agree with each and every one of these comments. Lovie smith said it was “CUT AND DRY”… he is just happy he got over because his butt is on the hot seat!!! if i were a bear i would have called a spade a spade and said hey, we lost fair and square!!! we deserved that win. not just the team, but the franchise, the fans, the city!!! the official that threw his arms up should be interviewed. i bet he would say exactly what everyone here is saying. it was obviously a TOUCHDOWN. im not taking anything away from the bears. they played a hard fought game. but if the shoe were on the other foot i wouldnt be so proud of “that kind of victory”. i have been and always will be a die hard lions fan. that will never change. its bad enough we lose alot already, but for our wins to be taken from us as well… thats just flat out BS. and to the official that called it incomplete… get your mind right turdburgler!!! GO LIONS!!!

132. By Don on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

The only reason the ball came out of his hand was because he was turing over to stand up, even with this bogus continuation rule hes sitting on the ground with the ball in his hand and turns over to get up if thats not a catch I don’t know what is, ridiculous call that cost the better team the game, Im looking forward to a bears beatdown at the end of the season.

133. By Tricky Dicky on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Guys – If Calivn had held the ball until he stood up, TD – game over. He didn’t. He was still in the act of falling, hit the ground, dropped the ball. It sucks but the game should have never gotten to a final play anyway.

Remember all this Dec 5th .

134. By Makdawgy on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

I can’t believe we even made the game that close. That was an awesome effort by the defense the entire game, keeping it close. And the final drive that almost won us the game was a good effort. It was definately exciting. People would’ve thought I was bipolar yesterday cuz of my running around my living room cheering and jumping all over to pounding the couch with my fists and swearing loudly at the TV. I seriously just hate how the zebras can affect the outcome of a game like that, it’s so freakin ridiculous.

135. By Fiscusd on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

The NFL fines coaches, front office, and players for complaining about calls on the field, no matter how justified. Schwartz is right about one thing, this call alone did not lose the game. Dumb turnovers before the end of the half, cost us the game. This rule is just stupid, I really can’t believe that anyone voted for it. Then it was not interpreted correctly in this instance. Any blind fool could see it was a catch.

136. By HAWKEYE HOULE on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Well Detroit pro teams are not getting any breaks. The young Tiger pitcher gets robbed of a perfect game and now the Lions get robbed of a win. It is really a sad state of affairs when the officials determine the outcome in prof. sports instead of the players!!!!!

137. By Dan The Bears Fan on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

OK Lions fans…..here’s an opinion from a Chicago Bears fan’s perspective…..

1 – The officials made the call on the field….and after review….correctly as it applies to the rule of “the process of the catch”. The rulebook says it wasn’t a catch, so it wasn’t a catch…..the call was “officially” correct.

2 – I think the rule is STUPID in the way it’s written. If Johnson had been going out of bounds, and got both feet in (not to mention his hip AND left hand), and THEN the ball had touched out of bounds, it would have been a TD.

3 – You can argue that the ball “popped” out of his hand when it hit the ground, thus causing him to lose possession…..or you can say that he simply “threw” it down so that he could showboat….either way, he lost the ball.

I don’t agree with the rule, but I do agree with the fact that it was called correctly. I don’t like getting a win like that, but hey – a W is a W.

I see a lot of comments about the Lions “getting robbed”, and the Lions “should have won”. The bottom line is that they just couldn’t close the deal – teams and fans feel like they got robbed each and every week somewhere around the NFL. It’s all part of the game. Tell your receivers to stop being in such a hurry to beat their chests, and spend more time reading the rulebook.

The Bears should have lost after giving the ball up so many times. But they didn’t. So stop crying and move on.

Bear Down Chicago Bears! lol

138. By Angry fan on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Dan the bears fan..the fundamental problem with your argument is that you have obviously not read the actual rule that is being cited.The word “process” is nowhere to be found. the rule states that “he must maintain control of the ball after he touches the ground”..He touched the ground with his butt and on hand while maintaining very clear posession of the ball. This is not a case like the “tuck rule”, where it was just a bad rule. This is an incorrect application of the rule. It is indiputable that by the letter of the law..this was a touchdown, he fulfilled every requirement that this rule stipulates…In other words the Lions got SCREWED

139. By Dan The Bears Fan on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Angry Fan…..

I did re-read the actual rule (yes, SOME of us in Chicago can actually read).

I stand corrected – when I as a regular guy read the actual rule, I interpret it the same way I saw it – it was a TD. If he needed to maintain control of the ball after hitting the ground, I feel that he did so – both feet were in, and once his butt hit the ground, my opinion is that he should have been declared “down”. Unfortunately the rule is subject to interpretation – if he had hit the ground, and decided to keep rolling over and over for 10 seconds, then dropped the ball, it would have been called incomplete.

But I do stick by my guns – he should have held on to the ball instead of being concerned with getting up and beating his chest.

Anyway – I seem to recall that one of the TD’s by your RB was called a TD even though the replay CLEARLY showed the ball never crossed the plane of the goal line.

PLUS….a TD wouldn’t have necessarily meant a win. Cutler was doing the “Ginsu Knife” demonstration on your secondary all day, and they had plenty of time to run off a few long pass plays and stick the nail in the coffin (if they could have avoided turning it over again).

All I can say is……better you than me. I’ll take the win, as they may be hard to come by in Chicago this year.

140. By Dan Retzler on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

May all know that this call was NOT by the rule as written. For the Tigers stolen no-hitter, the ump had no problem admitting that he made an error. The NFL officials need to admit the same concerning this stolen touchdown. Quickly!!! It WAS a touchdown per the rule and again, here’s why (hopefully better said than before). Calvin gained full possession in the air above the… end zone. He maintained possession in the end zone through a step, a 2nd step, a “football like” lunge move, and a hit down to the ground. At this point comes the rule saying he needs to maintain control “after hitting the ground.” What happened after he hit the ground? Honestly! AFTER he hit the ground there really are but two basic possible interpretations in this case. He either went on to roll and put a hand out of bounds with possession all the while, or he went on to roll and touch the ball down in-bounds with full possession all the while. Either way, he satisfied the rule requiring he maintain possession after hitting the ground. It is what it is indeed. The call was NOT THE CORRECT CALL PER THE RULE AS WRITTEN! The Refs should apologize just as the baseball ump did, minimum. Calvin actually did no wrong here.

141. By Dan The Bears Fan on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

Ironically, when the Bears played in Detroit late in the 2004 season they had an “obvious” TD “stolen” from them due to the same rule…….and again when the Saints came to Chicago in 2008. Those 2 examples were WAY more controversial than this one was (especially the one in Detroit).

If this play hadn’t been at the end of the game there wouldn’t be so much whining about it. All Johnson had to do was pick that ball up in his hand for a split second (it’s called following through).

Get over it….suck it up…..and move on. Both teams made a ton of mistakes during that game, and the better team won.

142. By Michael M. Daugherty on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

score the go-ahead t.d. in the 3rd quarter instead of trying to win in the last seconds of the game! We need to put it behind us and move-on! go Lions!!

143. By Dan Retzler on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

Most of the discussion here, even my additions, seem relatively moot now. Aside from the fact that Calvin did hold on to the ball in a controlled fashion after hitting the ground (if briefly, but surely until he touched it down) as required by the literal rule, the rule MAY also be considered to require the receiver be in a falling mode before it comes into effect. Calvin caught the ball at the peak of a controlled leap from which he could be expected to land on his feet, not while in a falling mode (hope this helps re-write the rule). He was hit and sent into a falling mode only after he possessed the ball. Therefore too, the rule may allow his touchdown!!!

Ok, the rule isn’t clear on this point, it uses the phrase “when going to the ground” I think, in an unclear way (plainly though, Calvin wasn’t “going to the ground” at the moment he gained possession! Look close. Again, he was at the peak of a controlled leap from which you’d expect him to land on his feet when he gained possession, then bumped to falling mode only AFTER gaining possession).

So be that as it may, consider this: Suppose that in the field of play, a guy leaps and catches a ball (so that you’d assume he’d land on his feet, i.e. he’s not yet “going to the ground”). Then he gets bumped knocking him off balance (all exactly like Calvin’s case). Then he manages to get two feet down with solid ball possession in a futile effort to regain his balance (as with Calvin, again). Then his body hits down and the ground causes the ball to pop out of his hands and roll away from him. What’s the call? Yes, Reception and Fumble! every time (or in Calvin’s case, simply a touchdown normally, since possession in the endzone ends the play regardless)! If this rule was called right in Calvin’s case, then it would make my example here just an incompletion every time (as in Calvin’s case). And what would the call be if the ground doesn’t knock the ball out, but the receiver then touches the ball down and stands up leaving the ball behind (as Calvin did)? Yes, it’d be ruled a simple reception and “down by contact” every time! But we couldn’t call that “down by contact” anymore, if the NFL insists this rule was called correctly. Will the NFL, The Lions Coach, the Commentators, or etc., now insist plays be called this way until the rule is changed? Gimme a break! Heck, if this rule was called correctly then if a defenders bump sends a receiver falling the receiver could take 3 or more off balance steps with full possession before losing the ball (losing it for any reason, such as hit by another defender after off- balance step # 3, for example), and it’d just be an incompletion.

144. By Dan Retzler on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

Come on folks, tell me what you think about my post above. Where is the error? I see one or two, but nothing too significant to my point. NFL, fess up!

145. By richard hill on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

the rules and the missing of obvious calls dont help,but the defensive laps that comes at the most inoppurtune times is incomprehensible.All future picks need focus on defensive backs.this is letting the solid part of this team down.i thought the quarterback was ok..why run two plays in the heart of thier defense.,with no push forward,it sucked.we got screwed on one touchdown,they pushed off,and they never called it.Vick played great.he looked like the old QB/ before.i dont see Hill as to blame for the defense,and going to the same running back too often after they had thier scopes on him.more play action is needed.defense needs to improve,35 points is terrible to give up.Well it dont get eisier.

146. By acrossthewall on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

keep up the good work shaun hill wish you was still in sf you got a raw deal last year, you maybe dont have the best mechanics, but you know how to when games and make plays when it counts. didn’t get to see the game, but that obvious was a bad call