Johnson: ‘I caught it, no doubt, but it’s the rule’

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on September 13, 2010 – 2:20 pm

“Overall, we had chances. We did have some lapses. We had some bad field position, but still had opportunities. We let some things go, had two turnovers. The Bears were sitting back the whole game – Cover 2. Kind of like the same thing they did last year. We really couldn’t get anything going against them.

“The bright spot to me was the two-minute drive we had at the end of the game. We went down and we did some good things on that drive – I’ll leave it at that.

“It’s tough to have your leader go down, being your quarterback – that sucks. But at the same time, the bright spot in that is just having Shaun Hill, the veteran. He knows the offense just as well as Matt does, so our offense shouldn’t really miss a beat.

“The only thing I can say to the fans is that it’s one game out of 16. We’re going to try to bring it, but we do have to step it up a little bit. We can’t go into any lapses coming out after halftime when we get the ball first. We’ve got to be able to do something to at least put our offense in good field position.

“But, other than that, based on the play: I caught it, no doubt, but it’s the rule. They found a rule real fast and put it to use.”

Tags: , ,
Posted in Calvin Johnson Blog | 103 Comments »

103 Responses to “Johnson: ‘I caught it, no doubt, but it’s the rule’”

1. By Dallas Varcoe on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Next week stuff that ball in your shirt and walk it over to the bench. You’re too class Calvin. You’ve got to ask yourself, ‘what would ochocinco do.’ .. He’d get fined and cut that check and then one for the ref’s favourite charity to match- that’s what he’d do! Too class…. Good luck next week.

d.

2. By Joe Deighton on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Calvin, you guys played the best game I have seen the Lions play in a long time yesterday. Keep playing that way and good things are going to happen. Hope you and Hill get some good reps this week. Go beat the Eagles!

3. By Mark on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Dear Calvin,

Let me first say…BEAUTIFUL “CATCH”. I believe the rule should be changed and called The Calvin Johnson Rule. BOTH feet, shoulder, butt, one knee with control of the ball and in-bounds has ALWAYS been a catch. I have seen MANY, MANY running backs DIVE in the end zone and it’s ruled a touchdown as soon as he breaks the plane of the goal line and BEFORE he even hits the ground with the ball. So, why was it different here? The ruling WAS correct, but the rule MUST be changed.

I am a purple-blooded VIKINGS fan forever, but will be rooting for the Lions in all but the two Vikings games :)

You will have a GREAT career Calvin, stay healthy!

Mark H

4. By Corey Lions for life on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

You caught it, plain and simple. I’ve watched it probably atleast 50 times now and thats a catch. Lets not let that one game define the season. Come on Lions! We can bounce back from this. Your the leader now Calvin, lets roll!

5. By Jimmy H on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for being the bigger person. It is amazing how quickly they turned to that rule, and even other highlight reels on sports network showed lesser catches that were ruled a TD.

Keep pressing forward and trying to bring Football back to Detroit. We are counting on you guys.

6. By goodcatchcal on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Good catch megatron, the whole leaguel knows you caught that ball. beat them eagles next week

7. By Jordan Goll on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Yeah it sucks losing matt but what can you do he was hit by Julius peppers i know that i wouldnt get up from a shot like that. Bring your A-Game next week Calvin and win against the eagles. Hope Matt is ok for next week but if he isn’t Shaun proved he can do great when you give him that football.

8. By Lion 4 Life on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Forget that play, we all know you snagged that ball. Go get the next one. Out work, out prepare, and then out play Philadelphia next week.

9. By Chris on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Detroit Lions 1-0
    Chicago Bears 0-1

It was clearly a touchdown. Calvin, nice catch! You were screwed. On to the next game. GO LIONS!!!!!!

Here’s hoping Staffords shoulder injury is not severe. Get back on the field son!

Nice work overall by the Defense.

10. By Jacob Hufford on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Calvin for your next touchdown catch when the ref comes to get the ball walk over to the sidelines with it and hold onto it until the offense is back on the field. Don’t put the ball down at all. Make sure you send a message to the refs to let them know that it was a complete pass.

11. By Jonathon Schuster on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Calvin man, its a good thing to know that you have the toughness to keep your head up and everybody knows that you’ll use this to light a fire, and you’ll just stay modest and come out next week and play even harder than you did this week, its inspiring to see a player like you who doesn’t gloat and just uses everything as motivation to improve on already almost flawless skills. Keep trucking man and you’ll be rewarded. Come out next week with the mindset that no one can cover you, even though you would never admit it that’s the truth, you really do have the potential to be one of if not the greatest to ever have played the game when you hang them up.
    Thanks for giving me someone who’s a real role model to look up too.

Jon

12. By Regan on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Beatiful catch…you deserve the postivie recognition for going after the ball…we had them on the ropes…they had the rules. Let’s go Detroit…you have the momentum!!!!!

13. By rob on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

That was absolutely ridiculous! You boys did great and this season will still be unreal

14. By Andrew on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

I am a huge fan of the Detroit Lions and I am still not satisfied with the game you guys are playing. I think you are greatly improving and that you need to keep up the hard work! I have all of my support invested in you guys. I moved to Montana about a year ago and all of my friends laugh when they hear I am a Lions fan, but I will be always and when you guys win I super bowl I will still be supporting!
    GO LIONS!!!!!!!!!!!

15. By Bill Koseboski on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

The defense looked great. Coach Schwartz made a comment after the game
    about the defense on RB Forte’s 91 yard touchdown with 1:45 left in the first
    half. Coach Schwartz and Coach Gunther had time at the 2:00 minute warning
    to discuss the defensive setup. With a 14-3 lead for the Lions. In a road game
    the conservative approach is to be in a prevent. Giving the 5 to 15 yard gains. The defense did not fail on the Forte’s 91 yard run. Coach Schwartz failed to
    use good judgment. Coach Schwartz will become a good and maybe even a
    great head coach in time. Make Coach Jeff Fischer proud.

16. By Walt on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Echoing what was already said, you handled that with class man. Much respect; there is optimism is around this team despite the bad call. Been a fan of the LIONS for the longest. Go out there and continue to represent the City, and bring the playoffs back to the D. Peace.

17. By Andrea on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

I just want to tell the team that we are behind you. The loss was sheer agony but we still love you guys!

There are only loyal fans left here. We are digging in with you!

To the guys with injuries: we are praying for you!

18. By Yax on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

calvin, was definatly a catch….too bad they couldn’t see it….was that jim joyce calling that call…they need to implicate motion into the rule…like a qb throwing a pass…arm going forward…incomplete…in your case you were on down and in….on YOUR WAY UP……and still in control…..Hopefully on your next TD you lay there & look at your watch for a min……I belive you need a 10 second rule in Detroit….Go Lions…..get better Matt

19. By Mark on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

That was a beautiful catch over the top Calvin…me and the rest of the Lion’s Nation look forward to Lovie and his team coming to Detroit.

20. By Brian on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

I am a Bears fan. You caught the ball… we lost (even though not on paper). Truth be told, we didn’t deserve to win if we couldn’t even score from the one foot line! Black and Blue!!!!

21. By dkunkel on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

I disagree with the ruling. Here is why. I understand the rule. However, I believe than Calvin was not going to the ground, but in the process of getting up from the ground. I belive the process of the catch had already been completed. Lets say he got up to spike the ball and it slipped out of his hands. That would have been ruled a touchdown. I think because the process of getting up was so close in time to the ending process of completing the catch, the two have been mis-interpreted to be the same time frame. I completely disagree. Watch the game film again, He was getting UP from the ground, not going down to the ground, IMO. I am a Chiefs fan and have no bias. You guys got jobbed. The refs think they are following the letter of the rule, but they got it wrong. The catch process had already (albeit just barely, I think) been completed.

22. By anthony "pnut" on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

grat grab calvin you were robbed u guys just get focused for this week hopefully stafford comes back if he didint get hurt you guys would have blown out the bears hands down. great job defense d line balled and the db’s were bringing it best db play i have seen in a long time

23. By Matt on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

This may be the worst call in the history of the NFL. Rule or not, he caught the ball. No different than somebody getting away with a crime because of a technicality.

I can’t wait to see CJ explode next week and put up some record breaking numbers!!!!

24. By mike on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

this new rule is a prime example of an industry over regulating itself. It also discounts and disregards all aspects of a catch which is catching the ball having control of the ball catching the ball in bounds and being down by contact. This was clearly a touchdown and this same type of play will happen again during this year, the question is will it be called again.

25. By Jeremy on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

That rule is crap. Calvin made a highlight reel grab and it got called back because of some stupid rule. Oh yeah, earlier in the game Jahvid Best scored a touchdown by getting the nose of the ball over the goal line and that was it. Calvin catches the ball, comes down with two feet in bounds, and maintain control all the way to the ground but it still is not a TD. STUPID!! I understand what the rule is saying but here is what I am saying: Get rid of that stupid rule!

26. By Trent on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Ochocinco? really! what a joke. TD CJ.

27. By david r on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

ROBBED ROBBED ROBBED PISSED PISSED

28. By Brian on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

I agree with Dallas. A clever celebration in protest next week would be perfect. I understand you don’t want to cause this team a penalty, or bring bad press. I know you want to take the high road here, but honestly the sports world is behind you CJ! You have to embrace that. Maybe just carry the ball subtly to the side line and don’t let it go till the offense gets back on the field, that should avoid a penalty and would make a great statement. Please think about it…

29. By yooperman on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

everyone know ‘s by now it was a blown call ! i’m no longer mad at the officials , i now take my angry out on the GM & MR.FORD! i’m still wondering why there has been no protest filed ? as kids we were always taught to the rite thing and we teach are kids to do the rite thing! now it’s time for the leaders of this team to tell the commissioner to do the rite thing ! and rite a wrong ! if not it looks like someone has made a lot of $$$$$$ by letting this call stand ! and i’m starting to wonder if it someone in this organization !

30. By Bill Koseboski on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Shaun Hill looked real good. I hope the qb center exchange will get worked out
    during this week. I hope the Lions will consider the wildcat in future games.
    Drew Stanton would be great in that role. Good hands and a strong arm if
    needed. Drew Stanton and Shaun Hill do not seem as fragile as Matt. A tight
    end to help Jeff Backus block. Will Heller would do a good job.

31. By Walt Reid on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Just tuck it in next time big buy. Bet you won’t do that again:)

32. By JERRY BALLENGEE on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

CALVIN GREAT JOB ON THE (TD)CATCH DO YOU KNOW IF THAT WAS PAYTON MANNING THAT THREW THAT BALL THEN THAT WOULD HAVE NOT EVEN BEEN REVIEWED IT WOULD HAVE BEEN A TD BUT I THINK YOU GUYS ARE GOING TO BE A GREAT TEAM LOOK AT THE PIECES THAT ARE A ROUND YOU KEEP YOUR HEAD HELD HIGH YOU GUYS ARE GOING TO WIN GAMES THAT IS FOR SURE

33. By Anthony on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

A ruling like that just ruins the whole game for everybody.The lions won that game

34. By Jason on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

That was the biggest BS call i’ve ever seen! What a great catch Calvin! You are the man! Story of our Lions Lives! So close but another loss! What do we have to do to win a game on the road?

35. By Joseph Taylor on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

This is the NFL. None of the games are easy! An upset could happen at anytime. All these guys have being playing football since birth. The world best football players is going against the world best football players. So sometimes it comes down to the final minute regardless of mistakes and missed opportunities that both teams experience during the game. The referees make a strong impact of the game of football. I think Jim Schwartz should speak up for his players. As far for the catch, that rule does not apply. The rule states that if a player doesn’t have control of the ball before he hits the ground then it is not at catch. Calvin had control of the ball the entire play. Once his feet touched the ground the play was over. If he decides to fall afterward then so be it. Calvin had two feet, a knee and a forearm. A knee count as two feet. So he took four steps.I’m having a hard time interpreting this catch rule. So, I’m guessing if a player is falling to the ground with the ball , you can actually hit him while he is on the ground and make the ball come out. ALSO, Imagine if the ball was thrown to Calvin in the field of play near the sideline. Calvin jumps up,he catches the ball, he land on his FEET and a player knock him out of bounds, he then fall to his butt, his forearm hits he ground, then the ball comes out. They would have ruled this as a catch because he got two feet in. The whole thing is crazy. oh…… Kyle Vanden Bosh is my favorite defensive player in the NFL now. That guy is amazing. and of course Calvin is my favorite offensive player.

36. By David L on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Well, cry me a river. The Bears won, good call or bad, that is the way the game played out. You can continue to cry about it, or be a true Lions fan and take the loss, you should be used to it by now!

37. By Tim on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Did somebody call buffalo wild wings for a win?
    That was a great catch. You had pocession of the ball to the ground,
    then released the ball getting up. Come on man!!!!!!!!!!!!

38. By Good call on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

What a great call,finally some officials that know the rules.

39. By Scott on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

This has to be the worst call I have ever seen in the 40 yrs that I have been a Lions fan…and there have been many. The year started off with high expectations…for a Lions fan. What I don’t understand is the management of this team not showing that they care that they lost. Don’t they understand that showing some emotion toward the NFL leaders would help the team and fans overcome this emotional loss. Until someone in this organization has the cahones to stand up to the league, they will remain a has been organization. So, after yesterday 4pm I will not watch another NFL football game this year! Why go through the emotional torture.

40. By Jo Jo on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Great catch Calvin. You were robbed. I agree with the last comment. Seems to me anymore that these games are set up.Somebody is making $$$$$.
    I sure would hope to god that they are not, but alot of funny / strange things happen every week that makes me wonder. Calvin’s touchdown catch being a perfect example. Seems like certain teams get the calls. Good luck Calvin your a class act.

41. By cv on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

yooperman, let’s start by teaching our kids how to spell “right”. That should have been a TD. But the Bears will show up on Detroit’s schedule later. Redemption i suppose?

42. By IowaLionsFan on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

TD all the way. Lions 1-0, Bears 0-1.
    On a different note, my Lions field jersey and hat just landed at my shed, can’t wait until next week to wear it my local sippen hole

43. By russ heinrich on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

to calvin johnson,i am a bears fan 65 years old and all though i am glad for a win,i think it sucks to get it this way.really nice catch sorry about that dumb ass rule.i like the old way ,catch the ball 2 feet in and you are good.any way nice catch and sorry you got ripped by the league. russ h chicago

44. By Terri on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

I don’t understand that stupid rule. Did they just make it up this year? Calvin, you clearly caught the ball. It was soooo exciting the last 2 min. I was so proud of you guys. Although I have to admit I went from hollering and screaming, to hollering and cussing. Which is not very lady like of me, and my mother would’ve washed my mouth out. But hey? We are passionate about our Lions!!! Go LIONS and here is to a Great year!

45. By dShane on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Bottom line is this …CALVIN YOU WERE ROBBED on national television th whole world seen and witnessed that infamous chicago 12th player but no matter the skanks know they didnt truly win that game no matter what it shows in the standing and they still have to bring there butts to motown …SO IT S ON ..now moving on to philly …hey D LINE that o line of philly loooks ripe for the picking green bay exposed them and green bay aint got nuttin on you boys . SUH YOU A BEAST SON kyle u the laeder of that line show philly nwe here to stay and c williams u show the world especially cleveland that u still got it louis how bout that rookie cb he is gonna fit in just fine and finally to coach schwartx …man we been waiting on you for a long time coach finally someone with some genuine integruty to put our boys where they belong nice choices you made in the off season and i want you to know the cirt of detroit and lions fans around the globe are behind u and we love you guys ,,,thanks coach for bring the roar back …….GO LIONS

46. By Packersfan on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Detroit,

I agree….that was a TD! I don’t know what more you have to do to make that a catch! I am sure this rule will not live long and it will be called the Calvin Johnson catch rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best of luck with everyone in the division except the Pack!

47. By cathy on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

I lost all respect for the NFL on that call. If that wasn’t a touch down then neither are the ones where they jump and catch it and fall out of bounce. If that is how the games will be called then there is no sense in watching football anymore. I guess they knew who they wanted to win!!!!

48. By santos and cam on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

I wonder what is this coming too. How is that not a catch. We won that game. I think someone made some money off that. But we should of not let it have come down to that. Way to go defense. Just a slap in the face. Get it together guys. Time to attack Philly. We are not going to take it lying down. Lets hear the Lions ROAR. My nine year old son was crying and hates the refs. Just don’t give them another chance to take away our victory. Go Lions!!!!!!!!!

49. By Ryan O'neill on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

even though the rule states that you must maintain possession while going to the ground it should not matter considering he had already made more then enough contact with the ground

50. By LionsFan1984 on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Redwings robbed in the playoffs because of bad calls, Sharks MVP was the ref. Tigers pitch a perfect game this season and yet another bad call. I suppose that it was just the lions turn to get a bad call Oh well get them next game.

51. By kmyer on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Yeah – an amazingly stupid ruling. The truth was the reality of the ref, who was standing right there, called a touchdown without hesitation. End of story.

Now, the rest of us out here…you know, the one’s that pay for all of the Direct Ticket subscriptions, tickets, hats, shirts, etc., etc., etc., have to swallow that loss and hope for the first win. I’ve been a Lion fan for 45 years now and I’m thinking I may have to walk from California to Detroit, just to get a first win (again). We were robbed!

Come on Lions – get’er done! We’re all behind you.

52. By Jon on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Class act sir! Catch? You bet. Interpretation of the rule? Justified. Need to be changed? Given. Incredible year on the horizon? Absolute.

Coming in from Alberta, Canada for the rematch at Ford Field on December 5th, and I couldn’t have hoped for a better script for the impending equalizer!

Only 1 out of 16 gents, many more great things to come!

GO LIONS!

53. By Drand on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

CJ,

ON TO THE NEXT ONE!!!! You are correct, there isn’t anything you can do about that stupid rule now. Just get the message to the rest of the team to use what happened yesterday as motivation to smash the rest of the league in mouth and let the rest of the league know who the new Lions are all about!

54. By Natlpro on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Not a Lions fan but definitely Johnson had possession throughout the catch. Can’t blame the refs but blame the NFL. The NFL blew that call, BAD RULE, change the RULE, Goodell

55. By pingzinger on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Nice catch Calvin!!!
    Nice goal-line D when it counted.
    You’re moving in the right direction!!! Keep it going!

56. By michael Haase on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

nice catch calvin. How many more body parts could you have put on the ground LEft foot Right foot left knee right knee behind left hand and yet no catch. Nfl rule is dumb Good Defense lions by the way you played great with terrible feild position all day

57. By Chris on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Hey Lions, We all know that should of been a catch and the refs screwed us big time. Megatron, you just keep doing what you do best and make those defenders look bad. Lions, just use that anger of being robbed of your road win to fuel your intensity the rest of the season and take it out on the other teams!! We are behind you guys and schwartz as well. Keep bringing the pain D, especially that front four, and leave no QB standing! GO LIONS!!!!

58. By Tyson on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

This is what i think. it feels like im the biggest lions fan in the world since 1992 but i ran in to some lions fans at the bar and i was loveing it and im 24 and im from utah. and theres not that many lions fans here but they came out of the woodworks and watching that game are defense was really impressive. I hate bears fans so much when i saw them at the bar I just wanted to run them over in my car cause they thought this was just going to be a walk in the park and they where scared that whole game. and after that game they all took off knowing they just got handed the game to them and of course there going to take it but my point is whatever it would of been and the polls and the media said 82 percent of americans said touchdown on c.j. s catch and 18 percent said no touchdown makes me wonder about the NFL just think when hurricane katrina happened then the saints won the superbowl and on that that 2 point conversion when they called it good it makes me wonder. and that game yesterday just feels like it was a dream and when i woke up monday morning knowing that was for real it feels like i have been hungover all day over that game GO LIONS i dont really have high hopes right now with stafford being hurt for 4-to 6 weeks it kills me. but no changing time now. i think they should put stanton in at halftime if hill isnt working out. enough said calvin is pretty pissed right now im sure and the all lions so lets take this next game V.S philly to a another level and put that shit to the past thanx for understanding from T.C. Gottfredson GO LIONS

59. By Rev. Michael E. Bradfield on Sep 13, 2010 | Reply

Calvin, nice catch! This is only game number one. I can’t wait until Sunday’s game. God Bless

60. By Raul on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

I am a Bears fan, have been for 35 years. Detroit deserve that touchdown. Period. The guy catch the ball, two feet in, one leg, one nee, his butt, the elbow, then when he is falling he is showing the ball and holding it away from his body to keep it from hitting the grown. When he goes to stand up he “lost” the ball. What else do they want. I hate that the game finished with a touchdown because THERE SHOULDN’T BEEN A CATCH IN THE ENDZONE in the first place, why waste our time talking about a rule, when we should be talking about our team “the Bears” blowing a safe lead AGAIN.
    They gave us the game? well YES, but 10 weeks from now, that win is still going to be a win, and no matter what you Detroit fans say, we still have the W and you don’t. Worry about your QB and we will worry about our defense. Cheers

61. By Bearfan777 on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

You guys make me laugh, if the shoe was on the other foot than the rule is good. You keep saying it was a bad call. It wasnt a bad call, it was made following the rule, it can be reveiwed by the commissioner and ILL go even further, the supreme court and it will stand as an incomplete pass. You keep talking how great your defense is, well lets just see as the season progresses. The Bears were struggling offensively due to a new offensive coach and system, and in return made your defense look better than what it really is.

62. By Bryon on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

It’s being said that the player has to have the ball in posession all the way through the play. Action #1 player caught ball, landed on both feet, fell to his leg , then to his buttock, all within 3 to maybe 4 seconds. That is one action. 2nd action he spins around in a complete 180 with ball in full posession, then he gets up to celebrate. no matter what the rule states, when a ball is in control and in full posesion for that long most would call it a touchdown. let’s conssider how someone running for a touchdown can break the pla of the end zone, hav ethe ball knocked out and if he have it in one hand for 1second it is good for 6. lets get real and open our eyes. God says we have eyes but we don’t truly see. that’s a fact, look at the rule and make the change. wha tis right is right and what is wrong is wrong. GOD BLESS YOU GUYS ,ASK AND
    YOU SHALL RECEIVE.

63. By Michael on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

Your 1- 0 in My book. Go Lions.

64. By Mac on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

I am a BEAR FAN – We did NOT deserve a win, especially when the Lions actually won the game – in my mind this was a victory for Detroit – you won the game with your goal line stand.

this is so similar to the baseball decision about that no-hitter earlier this season – everyone (including us Bears fans) knows it was a catch…..please know that Chicago fans also think it was a rotton call.

65. By Eric on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

Everyone knows this was bs…come on Jim speak up for your team…show some emotion..your guys are fightin hard for u..They should reverse this..receivers barley get 2 toes down touchdown..wtf Calvin won that game period..that was a play that will be showed forever..one of the alltime worst calls ever..this will be used for motivation..watch out philly!! CALVIN U THE BEST IN THE GAME..THEY SHOULD THROW IT 2 U EVERY CHANCE THEY GET..why wait till u get behind 2 start throwin the damn ball!!! earth 2 Scotty…..Mayhew tell these guys 2 quit playin not 2 lose..f— bein conservative..were sick of that…

66. By Barry Seward on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

Calvin,

That was a great catch. You got a touchdown..it doesn’t matter what anyone else says. Philly is next and you have a HUGE opportunity to make some great things happen. Tear it up! All eyes will be on you and how you handle this situation…stay classy and show the skills you have to the world. I am impressed with the coaches saying that they wont blame the refs for the loss..thats what Super Bowl teams do. They respond on the field. You have the opportunity to get to the playoffs and once there..Detroit has a legitimate chance to go far. Play hard, have fun and don’t get eaten up by a bad call. You are a pro bowl receiver and soon to be Super Bowl Champion. No one can tell us different!

67. By Don on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

Coach, You don’t seem to understand that Noone cares what the rule say’s!
    We have watched this rule Being broken in allmost every game that the NFL has ever had!
    And then, When it serves the entrests that they want, then it is used!
    We understand that you are a Company Man. And from one of the White collar States. But, When people in this Ctiy and a Ton of places around this country, when we see a Injustice, we file a Grievance.
    Don’t think that people don’t want the NFL players union to step up and make a stink about that play.
    And Most people don’t care if he Came up with the ball or not.
    And we also know that he did’nt drop the ball. He simply let it go and left it on the ground Because it was a touchdown.
    You can Word it any way you want.
    You can tell us the story about not wanting to tell the TEAM that they are better than ONE play?
    The Facts are still the same. He caught the Ball. WE won!
    To bring up the NFL technicalities, Rules, is Just a slap in the face, Again!
    No Rule changes were made. Noone ever thought there would Be.
    There doesn’t Need to be. It is the Same old Same old.
    The NFL using some BS rule that it has Never been used before in Millions of Games And Season after Season. And then Pull it out, So that it serves thier Own purposes in a Game against. The Chicago Bears! One of the NFL’s Favorite TEAMS!
    A game in which they are playing the Biggest Sucker TEAM in the NFL!
    And by that I mean that this team is the sucker that has Play after play after play Taken away from them over some Garbage rule or another one of thier penalties that works time after time to put a stop to this TEAM winning.
    And they did it Again!
    And you are sticking up for them and trying to Explain to all us “Stupid People” who just Don’t understand?
    That is a lot of Bull and Blah, Blah, Blah! And we have heard it all before!
    And if we keep on watching and supporting this TEAM and this League WE WILL SEE and Hear ONCE again in another Game either this year or Next!
    And get the SAME kind of ruling on another GREAT PLAY that will be again be taken from OUR TEAM in order for one of thier TEAMS to win.
    Because something like this Happens ALL the Time and has happened over and over and over again.TO THIS TEAM!
    This TEAM will NEVER WIN A SUPERBOWL!
    Because the LEAGUE IS”NT ABOUT TO ALLOW IT TO HAPPEN!
    And they will allway’s find a way to make sure that, that Never Happens.
    After what Happened this past Weekend, That was proven to the People of Detroit! And the rest of this Country. But, GO Ahead, Smooth it all out for them, THE NFL.
    (N/OT F/RIKIN L/EGIT)
    This TEAM the Detroit LIONS is This.
    A Fill in Team,A Team that the other TEAMS of the NFL play during the regular season. In order to have enough TEAMS to play the Games that the NFL needs to be played in order to make the Money that they need to showcase the TEAMS that they want to win the SUPERBOWL!
    YES, the LIONS are merely a TEAM to fill in the season with.
    An Opponant for the other TEAMS of the NFL to play until the TEAMS that they Love to showcase in the playoffs get to the Playoffs.
    Those TEAMS would be for this division, GreenBay, Chicago, and Minnasota.
    And Now they are one step closer to sending one of THIER TEAMS TO THE Superbowl.

68. By Don on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

I won’t be commenting on this Issue again since it is a waste of time

69. By J.T. on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

I’m sorry that Jaff Backus is responsible for the regression of yet another Lions QB. He is a very dangerous player for the team and I can’t believe he’s been a starter for ten games. Jeff Backus gives up an average of over 7 sacks per season which statitistically makes him the worst starting LT in the game to have atleast 100 starts. I blame Jeff backus for allowing Matt Stafford to take such a vicious hit. Hopefully we can acquire a LT that can actually protect the leader of our franchise.

70. By speakerpops on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

I hate to admit it, but if that call had been made on Matt Forte instead of Calvin Johnson, I’d STILL be giggling and doing a happy dance in front of my television!

No doubt, it was a great catch. No doubt, the rule needs some further review/refinement. No doubt there will be another chance to square off against Chicago in December – we’ll see about “completing the process” then!

GO LIONS!

71. By BILLO313 on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

usually we are getting bashed by opposing teams fans… especially division rivals… Chicago has been MIGHTY DAMN QUIET!!! i would love to hear from one of the fans in Chi-town to see if any of them have the Cajones to call it like it is. CALVIN WON THAT GAME FOR US HANDS DOWN!!!

72. By walter mahan on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

Why does this always seem to happen to my Detroit sports teams as if the Jim Joyce incident wasnt enough we have to start one of our most anticipated seasons in along time off on a note like this no doubt it was catch and it even seemed as if he was just trying to keep his feet inbound to gaurentee that he was inbound I hope that ref has the dignity to apologize publically like Mr.Joyce because he took that catch away not only from Calvin but the franchise his teammates and most of all us the fans im not going to start to lose faith yet but being how I have to wait all the way until thanksgiving to actually see them on t.v. I hope its not a year ruined by one play or one game stay poised lions its along year and we will be a team to beware of before its over…..Good job D.

73. By walter mahan on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

@J.T. there is no I in team our line is a unit Matt will be alright and so will Bakus and the rest of the lions we must stay strong as fans like that line must stay atrong as a unit we will overcome some day…….. Go Lions!!!!!

74. By Erik on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

I’m a huge Chicago fan… and I can tell you that at the end of that game, most of my fellow Bears fans could only sheepishly mutter, “Well, a W is a W.” Yes, I was relieved that we won the game… but even bigger than that relief was disgust with the way that it was won.

We couldn’t move the ball one yard in 4 plays, and then a stellar end-zone catch gets taken away over a technicality? What decent fan could legitimately feel good about a win that came that way, or proud of a team that won that way? Everyone is trying to focus on the big offensive numbers that we put up as a band-aid, and something to help us look the other way over the embarassing end of the game.

You guys got robbed. But you never know… maybe this will put enough of a fire under your team’s ass that they’ll play better for the rest of the season. “Everything happens for a reason”, as they say. You guys deserve a turn-around.

Don’t bother with focusing your anger at the game or the owners, though… put your energy into supporting the players! The players will win the games… your anger won’t win anything.

75. By D. Miller on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

I have been a lions fan since 1985. I just moved to chicago and the bears fans are saying the lions won that game. What I would like to know is why I haven’t seen any member of the lions org. standup for themselves. And say that was BS. At least show some heart and emotion. If you don’t care why should the fans. If I put everything I had in into winning a game and that happened to me. I would blew up!!!!!! I would have told the media that it was BS.

76. By Jeremy on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

At this point forget about the TD that was robbed lets all worry about Matt Stafford’s shoulder. Matt is a great guy and one hell of a QB and I hope he comes back sooner rather than later! LOVE YOU MATT STAFFORD!

77. By Brenda on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

It was a TD, no doubt. We can’t let that get in our way…use it as incentive for the next game. I don’t like Stafford being out either, but again, we have to be able to play well without him. We have great weapons on offense and defense. This is the BEST team (and yes, I meant to imply that Javhid is a big part of it) I have ever seen us have. We are winners now and we have to have that mentality regardless of who is injured and who is playing. I like Hill and I’m glad to hear that Calvin has faith in him because that’s the most important thing, but I’d also like Stanton to step up and be our second QB. He has mobility and arm strength plus he has been on this team for years. He knows the Offense and, more importantly, the guys on Offense who have been here for over a year. That being said, I will not accept that we are the chosen ones to lose. We have had that mentality for 50 years and it’s time to change. We haven’t given up….the team hasn’t given up…so let’s just outplay the other teams and show everyone who we really are. RESTORE THE ROAR!!!!!

78. By MIke on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

Though I understand football quite well 9or at least believe that I do) I do not understand the play calling Sunday. With the Bears running so much Cover 2, and us unable to run with 7 in the box (another issue that really needs to be addressed) why did we not start running short routes to split the seams in the center of the field? With a 2 tight end set, (and I understand keeping one back to protect Stafford though that did not work either) I would think that we would be running one tight end into the cover 2 seam on nearly every play. Or at least let the slot receiver run a deep crease on occassion to make the safety’s have to make a choice on who they are coing to double. It seems to me that some of the other people have it right on the money. Instead of playing to win, we were playing not to lose!

Coaches trust your defense to recover and take a few chances will you please. If they turn sour then so be it you have a defense that can hold tight! Put those corners and safeties on their heals and make them defend our long ball, short slants, quick outs etc. Make the ends hesitate in fear of the tight end screen or the pitch to Best around the edge with a TE in front of him. Use Calvin on the reverse, good things happen when his hands touch the football. With the speed that best has try the old double reverse once in a blue moon. Sure it is a gadget play, but gadgets plays not only work once in a while, the infuse your team and the fans with excitement.

While I believe that the O-Line is average, I do not believe that they have the superior skills needed to constantly run between the tackles. If you want to keep Best healthy, and the team winning, then I think that the play calling has got to get a lot more creative. Quit trying to not get beat. Start trying to win by a landslide. Let this team be what it can be — fantastic.

79. By Mary Ann Leonard on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

Is there something about Detroit?? Refs feel the need to stick it to this city?? How about baseball season and the blown call ending the perfect game??

I think there needs to be an investigation about why officials, year after year, consistently do NOT call games fairly where a Detroit team is involved!!

80. By Robert Smith on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

No matter how you slice it, that’s a catch and it should have been ruled a touchdown. every toher time we have seen two hands on the ball and two feet down it’s a catch. every other time we’ve seen a rear-end on the ground with a ball firmly in hand it’s been ruled a catch.

81. By Mark on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

What a bunch of whiners. The Lions played a great game, but they should be embarassed by their fans here. Blaming the officials for enforcing the rules is crybaby at it’s finest.

82. By Jack Robbins on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

That is the worst call I have seen for along time.Calvin you got ripped off.Another thing I hope that this will be Jeff Backus final year as a Lion, he needs to go.

83. By Michael M. Daugherty on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

hi Calvin! If we would have gotten something done before the 4th quarter the catch you had would not be an issue.You are a great reciever and you will have a lot of chances to prove it!! GOOD LUCK!! :-) :-)

84. By wendymaddy on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

The whole world watched no. 81, Calvin Johnson, outleap the opposition, grab onto that football, land and lay it down on the turf in the end zone, winning the game. No stupid rulemakers can mismatch the rules with the actuality of a completed play! He had complete control of that ball until he chose to flick it out of his hand, and the whole world watched the closeup that proved it! I hope Detroit pursues this protest to the Supreme Court, if necessary, and then takes it to the people if that doesn’t turn out as it should! Detroit mustn’t take anything like that lying down! Chicago just couldn’t bear to lose their opening home game, so they cheated their way out of their actual loss!Calvin Johnson is a great player, and he won that game fair and square, and Shaun Hill’s toss to him was awesome, too! Don’t get mad, get even! Get justice in the courts and win all your other games, too! Way to go, Lions! You’re a great team this year, ALL of you, and don’t you ever forget it! GO LIONS!

85. By Josh Myers on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

That was a shame. No wonder the NFL is losing all confidence with the fans. Just like anyone on or off the field<they have a job to do. I watched alot of football this weekend and its the same around the league. Just like players, the NFL needs to take responsiblity for thier actions and admitt they were wrong, instead of hiding behind< what they believe to be a good rule. THE REF STANDING RIGHT NEXT TO HIM, WHO HAD A SUPERB VIEW, RULED IT A TOUCHDOWN!!!!!

86. By michael on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

BEAR DOWN lions fans a rule is a rule if calvin wouldnt of came down with the ball like he did you would have been good and i cant wait toplay you guys again so we can crush u like we should have this game a couple lucky fumbles was the only reason the score wasnt 21 0 illsay you played good goal line defense but thats about it if a QB throws 350+ yds and 2 tds with 10 yds per throw then i dont think u played good defense but u guys are the lions so i guess fans need to be happy about something

87. By Douglas on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

Even though i ain`t a LIONS fan, i saw a few minutes of that game and that tochdown pass Calvin Johnson made was a touchdown. i don`t know what the officials were thinking when they said it was not a touchdown. I saw that play, Detriot should be 1-0 in week 1 with that 21-19 victory and Chicago should be 0-1, the refs lied. Detriot tried to prove they was the better team in that game.

88. By Dave on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

I am a lifelong bears fan. I have never been to this website before, but I had to say, the Detroit Lions won that game. No doubt. Sorry guys, that’s embarrassing.

89. By Derek on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

WERE NOT GOING TO TAKE iT!!
    PLEASE LIONS play the song were not going to take it by Twisted Sister right before the kickoff, its time for us the real lions fans’s to get our butt’s back in the seat’s and reclaim the motor city madhouse!!!!! This call has proven to me there’s still alot of passion left for this Team we can’t change the call but we can give our team a homefield advantage they been lacking for years we, can make as much noise as possible and it will help. Lets end this habit of letting other teams use us as a door mat, like the thousand’s of Pittsburgh fans
    that came into our house last year, it disgusted me but now I know there is alot of passionate fan’s left so let’s use this terrible call to our advantage

WERE NOT GOING TO TAKE IT

DEFENCE DEFENCE DEFENCE

LET’S GO LIONSSSSSSSSS

90. By kots on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

Sorry dude. No catch. We see this call 100 x a year, what is so new about it. IF YOU HIT THE GROUND AND THE BALL COMES OUT IT IS INCOMPLETE. WTF is the controversy about.

Next time don’t take your hand off the ball to break your fall..sorry. Anybody who disagrees needs to put 7 more points on the board for the Bears.

2nd qtr Devin A. catches a pass in the left corner, hits the ground, ball comes out…no big controversy there?

Lion fans get over it. You got lucky the Bears fumbled as much as they did. Score should of been 35-7 Bears.

Good luck next time.

91. By jblaze on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

ROBBED!!!! and now that they got evrybody hyped up they better keep it up not try just do it!

92. By royalprince on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

That catch by Calvin Johnson was excellent, and he should have been awarded a TD. But let me say this:The Lions offense pretty much let down the team, while the defense did an outstanding job. If the defense keeps playing this way, the team will win at least 8 games, even without Stafford at QB.

In my mind, the Lions are really 1-0, ot 0-1! Go Lions!

93. By Paul on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

I was just wondering if a half back or runnig back extends the ball over the goalline and it breaks the plane, and then he loses the ball, after it has been signaled a TD is it going to be called off because he did not maintain control. Probably not. But I would hope so. It was clearly a catch he had two feet in the endzone after he caught it and then his butt hit the ground. Just a plain stupid rule for the officals to catch the Lions in. Have never heard of it before. Must have been instituted just at that time for that game. STUPID RULE!!!!!!

94. By Teammac1 on Sep 15, 2010 | Reply

For the rest of the season when ever there is a touch down, the player needs to take the ball and give it to the coach and let him give it to the refs!!!!!

95. By dan a on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

remember nothing good comes easy.winning will be that much sweeter now. the floodgates will open soon.

96. By Rob D on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

What a crock of b.s. this call was. The NFL should be ashamed for even trying justify their argument as an incompletion with a ludacris spin on technicallities. If that was not a catch then nothing is a catch. There is no justice, the people that support the incompletion argument are morons, period. What a joke!

97. By Thomas Smith on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

This call is a humiliation for the NFL. Sport has been sacrificed to referee interference! I don’t know how many true sports fans based on what they saw, gave up on watching a sport taken over by officials who have lost contact with reality. To think that they are immune and enjoy impunity might give them a feeling of security as they defend the undefendable, but surly there will be long term consequences for allowing this aberration to stand. They have taken fair play out of NFL football, and this is a sure receipt for decline! From America’s sport they have created America’s sham.

98. By Rieksfier on Sep 16, 2010 | Reply

Watch the replay folks. He WAS NOT able to hold on to it when he hit the ground. The rules state that you MUST carry AND hold onto the ball through the whole process of the player landing on the ground. On the slo mo you can see his hand trying to re clutch the ball but fails to do so. Get over it because your team hasn’t won a division title in over 15 years and it’s not going to happen this year.

PS. Get a tougher QB as well…

99. By BlackWolfStanding on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

I’m for what Don said… Plus, when you tell the entire team that they had chances and basically that one play at the end didn’t matter, you are telling the team that they sucked and didn’t put out the effort the whole game. Also, that they shouldn’t try to win the game in the end if they are losing going into the final minutes. They should pack up their bags and quit before the game is over. Coach, that’s why you play 60 minutes. the final minute of the game can sometimes correct for 59 minutes of ‘had your chances.’

I do believe that there are people in the NFL management that want to see the LIONS fail. I do not know what their motivations are. But when there is slightest chance to get the LIONS to lose, the 12th man will make them lose.

Coach, don’t let them do that! Pay attention to the current play at hand! Not what you will do the following play. The players need you to discuss the rules to the referees. Make your case when it happens. The catch rule is simple. The player needs to establish possession of the ball. Come down with both feet in play. Then make some type of athletic move OR retain possession until stopped. Calvin did all of the above. His athletic move was putting the ball into one hand to show the referees that he had the ball. He thought he was going out of bounds, but when he did not, he simply let go of the ball because he already meet the criteria for a legal catch. What the referees focused on incorrectly was the criteria for if you go out of bounds which is different. Know the rules coach and know the play that just happened in front of you so that the referees won’t be the 12th player anymore!

Coach, it would probably be wise to have a copy of the rule book to show the referees the exact rule too. Heck, maybe even sell copies so that the fans can see what the exact rules are too.

100. By BlackWolfStanding on Sep 17, 2010 | Reply

I agree with Mike. Our Offensive line still needs work. Whether it’s chemistry or just needs more talent, I am not clear on yet. But you got to plan your game to the talent level you have. Make the maximum use of the players you have.

You have a very fast small half back. Does his bread and butter play sound like running between that tackles or finding the edge? Now, I know there will always need to be a between tackles running play. That keeps the defense honest. But does running between the tackles sound like it should be the norm? Or does trying to find the edge sound better? Misdirection anyone?

TE vs MLB? I know most coaches would want that match up any day of the week. With Chicago running Cover 2, that should happen about just about every time the TE goes for a short crossing pattern while the receivers go on deep fly routes.

We worry about teams putting 7 men in the box against us, well the only way to stop that is by making the other teams have to cover outside the box, My question is if other teams can so easily cover our receivers, why can’t we find ways to stop other offenses? We always seem to be running short on defenders. We leave receivers wide open, yet the reverse isn’t true? If we can’t find ways to get receivers open, then there is something wrong with our play calling strategy. Maybe we are telegraphing our running plays and passing plays too much. In the game against Chicago, I accurately predicted the Lions running/passing plays by over 90%. And I’m just a arm chair quarterback. I’m willing to guess there was at least one Chicago defender that probably never missed a beat. With predictability on our offense, comes defeat.

I have said a lot so far but this is the last point about play calling. We simply still do not have the talent to establish the run first and pass second. As long as the games are called on this basis, the LIONS will lose.

101. By Jake on Sep 18, 2010 | Reply

Calvin, now you owe us 2 touchdowns this week against the Eagles. I had you winning the Bears games and losing to Eagles. Rectify that bro.

102. By doug vieth on Sep 19, 2010 | Reply

The catch made by Calvin Johnson that was ruled incomplete has everyone referring to the NFL rulebook; Rule 8 – Sec. 1 – Art. 4.

The rule states: If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball after he touches the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the
    ground, the pass is complete.

Why is this still a catch? Let me tell you. All the italicized words are the rule as it reads.

#1- This rule does not even apply to Calvins’ catch:

Calvin was NOT going to the ground in the act of catching a pass. As a matter of fact, Calvin
    leaped into the air to grab the ball. The act of catching the ball was the the leap into the air and his
    return to the turf was with two feet. Falling was not an act of the catch. He caught it, possessed it
    and came down with both feet. Once the officials establish the fact that the catch and going to the
    ground are not simultaneous, they should know this rule does not apply. They distorted the rule
    and robbed Calvin of an incredible catch and his team the game.

#2 – How long a receiver must “maintain control of the ball after he touches the ground, whether
    in the field of play or the end zone.” is never addressed and can’t be an issue:
    Calvins’ legs and behind slid along the ground and he STILL possessed the ball. Calvin did
    maintain possession after he touched the ground. That is exactly what the rule states. The
    word PROCESS is not in this rule. It is a subtle way of expanding the rule so people like
    Mike Pereira can give justice to the gross error in its’ application Sunday in Chicago.
    (I say this in the spirit of debate. I respect Mike Pereira and all NFL officials. It is a relentless job I do
    not envy)

#3 – The control of the ball was never lost before it touched the ground:

Calvin hit the ground and then the ball hit the ground as he palmed it. When the ball hit the ground
    He possessed it. Besides, You can’t palm a ball without possessing it.

#4 – Calvin never had to regain control before the ball hit the ground because He never lost control
    before the ball touched the ground.

#5 – Calvin never ” loses control of the ball prior to the ball touching the ground”. Therefore, the pass is
    complete.

#6 – Calvins’ body language tells you he is done with the play as his shoulders and body are coming
    up. As he does this, He lets the ball go. hand still palming the ball as the ball falls BACK to the
    ground.

#7 – Defending it: (I say this with great respect for these guys, it is purely debate)

Point #2 discredits the use of the word PROCESS.
    In Bill Polians’ explanation he tells us the rule means the receiver
    has to complete the play. When you have to “describe” the rule with words and phrases
    that are not in the rule, YOU ARE LISTENING TO SOMEONE RATIONALIZING to force the rule to
    defend the call.
    The result of those explanations means that a receiver could catch, possess and run 90 yards,
    fall or be driven to the turf and if the ball comes loose; it would be ruled incomplete.
    As a matter of fact, unless the ball is stripped from the receiver, it would be nearly impossible
    to recover a fumble after a catch. A smart receiver who loses control of the ball would simple fall to
    the ground and turn a fumble into an incomplete pass.

#8 – Is this a bad rule?

NO. They have just distorted it. Read it carefully. A receiver who has caught the ball with an act
    and has the ball secured (caught) before any act of falling takes place, this rule does not apply.
    A receiver falling in any manner while attempting to catch the ball must maintain control before
    the ball hits the ground.

#9 – Having to defend that catch as complete means we need ex – football players helping officials
    make reviews. There is NO player that has ever held a football that would tell you it was not a
    catch.

Douglas E. Vieth

103. By Cindy Gburek on Sep 19, 2010 | Reply

Calvin,

Been a Lions fan my whole life every year I start hopeful but this year I know we are going to do well, I was so excited when you caught the ball and clearly made a TD in my book Lions are 1 and 0 and you r the best keep it up. I need you bad you and Best are big part of my Fantasy Football team this is our year.