Vanden Bosch: ‘We gave up big plays, but we made big plays’

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on September 19, 2010 – 6:46 pm

The Detroit defense had plenty of peaks and valleys throughout its 35-32 loss against Philadelphia.

Looking at the good, they sacked Eagles’ quarterback Michael Vick six times for 37 yards, also holding Philadelphia 6-of-14 on third-down conversions.

On the flip side, explosion plays became a factor. The Lions surrendered receptions of 18, 20, 29 and 53 yards and rushing touchdowns of 14 and 46 yards.

DE Kyle Vanden Bosch: “We gave up big plays, but we made big plays. It’s another one of those games where we have a lot of things to clean up, but also have some things to build off of. It’s not a complete disaster. I think we had some big-time plays. Some guys really played well, we just have to put it together. We can’t have lapses; we can’t give up big plays. In the game, we rose and gave ourselves an opportunity to win at the end. We just have to win it. That’s it.”

One of Detroit’s strategies for defending against Vick was to blitz. Unfortunately for the Lions, Vick made some quality plays.

Head Coach Jim Schwartz: “(Vick) made a couple great plays. We dialed up some blitzes and we had free runners to him, and he got away from guys that were free to him. Those are match-ups that we need to win that he won. He’s won a lot of those in the past, and that’s one of the reasons he is where he is in his career. I think we had at least two of those drives, maybe three, that we had our hands on him on 3rd down, and we weren’t able to get him on the ground. Hats off to him, and that’s something that we need to do better.”

The one thing the Lions were able to do was keep Vick from running the ball himself, though containing him allowed the Eagles to convert those big plays.

DT Ndamukong Suh: “For the most part, I think we limited it. We had to just continue attacking against him, but he did make some plays with his arm as well.”

Vanden Bosch: “I think we had a good game plan. I think he scrambled a few times, but we had guys around him. Our defensive coaches put us in a position to stop him and to stop that offense and 90 percent of the time we did. Then we just had lapses and we gave up those big plays. That’s something we have to eliminate.”

Tags: , ,

32 Responses to “Vanden Bosch: ‘We gave up big plays, but we made big plays’”

1. By Ron on Sep 19, 2010 | Reply

Good game detroit but I think we need stafford back

2. By Lee on Sep 19, 2010 | Reply

Now, you can’t put sole blame on the QB. Yea, Stafford has done some great things but so has Hill. He did a GREAT job on offense, shook some great plays.

3. By wendymaddy on Sep 19, 2010 | Reply

well,I, for one fan, thought you all played extremely well overall, with both quarterbacks playing their hearts out to good effect. We almost won this game, too, coming from behind. If we hadn’t run out of time, I believe the Detroit Lions would have been sitting on a victory today! One lesson is that the huge play you made at the end of the fourth quarter under pressure could have happened earlier, and we would have then had the leisure of just slamming in a couple of extra tds as icing on the cake. I’d like to see the Lions get to that space. You have the talent, that’s for sure, and the heart, as well, and the skills. Now that Hill and no. 81 are connecting at last, you can make beautiful music together. That was so satisfying to see Johnson finally get his touchdown that he has so richly deserved! Too bad he had to go down the way twice today, again! At least he didn’t let himself get robbed twice in a row! So look forward to drubbing the Minnesota Vikings back with all you have learned in the past few weeks and the last couple of games. You’re a really quality team and being coached by brilliant quality people. I thought to the very end you might just get a little miracle and finish Philly off after all! Look how close those two last scores were! You ARE CONTENDERS!

4. By Ed on Sep 19, 2010 | Reply

How much longer is almost going to be good enough. The fans deserve better. At what point do we begin to wonder if this is going to be another horrible season where we almost win a lot of games……

5. By californiaLion on Sep 19, 2010 | Reply

A little too little a little too late… But you’re right, this is something they can build on. they are a far cry better then they were this time last year.

6. By Edward Huffmaster on Sep 19, 2010 | Reply

Look, i’ve been a Lions fan my whole life, from my 1st game in 1958 now it’s been my team, but it looks like we are on our way to another loosing season and all I’m hearing the players and coaches say are the same things that the players and coaches before them have said, looks to me like the same old Lions, same old excuses. looks like we should start scouting the college games for the next #1 pick in next years draft.. can we really go 0 and 16 again ? wouldn’t that be something !

7. By JB, surviror of milen era! on Sep 19, 2010 | Reply

Getting back matty is not the problem. The PROBLEM IS OUR TACKLES. They got stafford hurt, and just about killed shawn today. But just like last week our DEFENSE kept us in the game with a chance to win at the end. GOOD JOB!

8. By buczko on Sep 19, 2010 | Reply

i think that the team is much better then last year leap forward…..we are competitors in the league we just need to learn how to close games

9. By nancy mcfaddin on Sep 19, 2010 | Reply

Geez Edward and other doubters – these are definitely not “the same old Lions”. I share the enthusiam of MOST lions fans – who see incredible young talent with stafford johnson best delmas levy pettigrew SUH et al surrounded by some vets who are bringing them along. We played a great game today and I guarantee there are many wins in this team’s future

10. By ROCKY! on Sep 19, 2010 | Reply

If Hill is our best possible Quarterback at this time, I will not be back at the home games until they, as a team, can show us that HE can do more than have a 64. something quarterback rating, 12 yards rushing in 6 attempts, 2 fumbles, and 3 interceptions! On the other side of the ball, the back 6, (omitting #26, Delmas), is still a joke! Number-24 should take a long hard look in the mirror for the last two games and at all the preseason games as well!!!. How is it, if you have one job to do in man coverage, does the one man you are to cover, get behind you and so open? I love Cunningham, but what is it with the opposing receivers being so open for all these HUGE plays???? Chicago had 2 and Philly had 3……..am I missing something, or are we 0 and 2 again??? I am a Season ticket holder for 22 years, I love the team and am a die-hard Lions fan for the last 47 years, but this is just burning me out!!!

Rocky!!

P.s. You are a STUD and I love the pressure our new D-STRUCTION LINE is putting on the opposing teams…….Please Keep it Up, You are our only hope for happiness this year!!!

11. By Josh on Sep 19, 2010 | Reply

Yeah a loss..Go Detroit! You guys have one the of the best lineman in the nfl..Big Suh…(I’m not a Detroit fan, but I AM a fan of big Suh)

12. By JohnMan on Sep 19, 2010 | Reply

We got this, I’m feeling it this year! I like the confidence, and I like the young talent. We just need to tear it up next weed and shake off these rough losses.

13. By Eric on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Well last 2 weeks..we have a winable game an we give it away..again awesome job..that onside kick was a big play..we had em down just like the bears..an we let em convert on a 3rd an forever. when u up 17 2 7 u are not supposed 2 lose..the small things are hurtin us..why not give drew stanton sum burn..at least he can keep plays alive get the ball 2 calvin..we gotta finish..i still think we can have a winning season ..best is lookin like the truth..! Im proud of u guys..what effort..! we should have won both these games…..

14. By Devone on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

As a long time Detroit Lions fan, I would like to say good job out there today. Although the team could not come up with a win, I have noticed much improvement. There are still a few flaws, which I’m sure the team will work out; but the team played hard, and put up some good points. I have been a fan of the Lions since Barry, Moore, and Blades was on the team. I haven’t seen this team look fresh in a while, but I thought that I saw a little sneak peak of what is to come. I see a young team that has no where to go but up, and I would sure enjoy watching you guys get a few wins under your belt; God knows you deserve it. Keep up the good work guys and we are guaranteed to get a win.

15. By Michael Riley on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

In all do respect to Mr. Huffmaster, these are NOT the same old Lions. I too, am a die hard Lions fan. Since 1970, I have slept, eat, breathed, rooted, and even bled honolulu blue and silver! This team is on the fringe, I truly believe that. Once the Lions get their first victory, and I do believe it will happen in Minnesota by the way, I think we’ll see this team start to roll.. What people tend to forget is it takes time for a team to gel when there is such an influx of new personal like Detroit has witnessed in the off season. I DO worry about our lack of depth, and our tendacy to give up the big play, HOWEVER, there is something here that this team has been seriously lacking in the past, and that is toughness, gritiness Schwart is the first decent coach we have had since the “Big Teddy Bear” of the early 90s. I truly believe he can lead us to the playoffs eventually, we have to remember to be patient a little longer, as this team goes through some growing pains. Let me reiterate to everyone, THESE ARE NOT THE SAME OLD LIONS! In fact this team is emerging, and developing into something beautiful! To lose by 8 points over the last 2 weeks hurt, and yes they should be 2-0, but every week I see this team growing and emerging, and little by little they ARE serving this league notice, and the NFl is going to have to learn to respect them! The Lions are making them that way, and unlike past teams they are going out and taking it! Folks this IS a new era, believe it, just a little more time and patience, and we will ALL see the fruits of this team’s labor…..Starting in Minnesota! GO LIONS!!!

16. By Michael Riley on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

One other thought, Favre looked human afterall against Miami, next week, I do believe He’s going to falter as The Lions “D” do the Blitzkrieg Bop” on him. One thing is for sure, history has proven it, time and again, put pressure on FAVRE, and he’s going to make huge mistakes! These vikings are vulnerable, and ripe for the pickings! Yes they are dangerous, true. but If the Lions 2ndary can eliminate the BIG play (You paying attention guys?) The “Silver Blitzkrieg” will do some major damage and rattle Favre! You can take that to the bank! Finally, I coined the Lions “D” the “Silver Blitzkrieg” ’cause this “D” needs an identity, the steelers, had the “Steel Curtain”, Denver; it’s “Orange Crush” Dallas its “Doomsday” and lest we forget Minnesota’s “Purple People Eaters” Defense Hell, in the 80s the Lions had the “Silver Rush” (Anchored by Al “Bubba” baker, and Doug English no less) anyways I’d love to hear what you all think, or if anyone out there have a better alternative…..(No deragotory, or cutsie remarks) I think the “Silver Blitzkrieg” Or “Blitzkrieg” Defense is appropiate…What do you all think?

17. By Don on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

This TEAM is a LOT better than Last year And getting better than they have been in 50 years.
    We should have wonthat game also. There were again about % penalties that the other TEAM Commited that were again ignored by the Official”s.
    there were three Face masks that were not called against the Eagles.
    and there was pass enterfearance calls that were completely ignored also.
    That is what is stopping this TEAM. Not the way the TEAM played!
    The TEAM played a great game.
    I loved watching Javid run the ball! that was great. Allthough I do believe that we used him too much. To the point that the Eagles knewwho was getting the Ball.
    I also believe that the play calling was a little bit less than I expected.
    I know that Calvin does’nt like to go across the field on that crossing pattern that we used to use him with before when he would catch it at mid field between the hash marks and just take it in. Every snce he was knocked out in Minnasota. However we never use that play anymore and if he would try to do it every once in a while we might win some games.
    Just one or two of those Passes yesturday and the game would have been in the Bag. Unless of coarse the Ref’s found a reason to bring it back.
    And if we would have had more play Calling like we did at the VERY end of the Game That also might have clinched it for us!
    Anyway’s it was a very exciting game to be at, and the Crowd was Great TOO!
    I think people would have Kept up the rooting if the refs would have stopped making bogus calls against us.
    GO LIONS!

18. By Michael Riley on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Next week’s prediction: Lions come out angry and wanting to fight, Minnesota also wounded and angry will come out playing hard. I do feel the “Silver Blitzkrieg” will eventually find the cracks in Minnesota’s offensive sets, and exploit them. Lions win their first in a very physical game, leaving Minnesota reeling, and Favre pondering retirement for good!

Lions get 4 sacks, and 3 intercepts, in a 24-10 victory

19. By Don on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

That should have said 5 Penalties.

20. By Lions Fan on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

I think the loss is another conspiracy. But who can we blame this one on? The refs again? Who got paid? LOL

21. By Don on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Yes Michael Riley, I am with you on that!
    I want to know something? I also want you to know that I am not trying to discedit Calvin with this Question.
    Are you Affraid to take passes acoss the middle between the hash marks Like you used to do? When you would catch the ball on the run across the middle and take the ball right into the Endzone.
    Because I know that we used that Pass play a little too much until Teams (minnasota) knew where to meet you and put a wayto hard of hit on you that should have given us the ball at about the one yard line because of the brutle hit that they laid you unconsious with.
    Well, all I was going to say is that if you could get yourself or the coordinator to use that Play Every once in a while, IT could help us win some games.
    If we would have used that play yesterday it would have won us the game.
    Or it could have?
    I hope that eventualy you will let yourself try to make that play again.
    Because it wasyour bread and Butter PLAY!
    If we only used that play every once ina while Teams would’nt be ready to defend it. andyo could score more TDs and not get Hammered.
    I love Javid Best However he can’t win the whole game for us. He needs help!
    He allmost won the whole game for us, but came up short.
    Use your bread and butter at the very end of that game or even in the Middle of that game And we walkaway Winners!
    GO Calvin! GO LIONS!

22. By Mike Swarts on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Quit pondering on what you didnt do! Look at what you can do! Its a shame the media gives Vick the dog killer all the lime light! Best was the MVP of that game. Philly’s line gave Vick the dog killer all the time needed playing a great game. Any QB would of suceeded a decent game which all that was displayed by Philly.

23. By Kevin on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Good game but I would like to see the team be as aggresive in the whole first half as I have seen them do the last couple minutes of the past two games. You can see the talent come through during last minutes. Let the horses run free!

24. By San Antonio Lion on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

When are we gonna get some decent CORNERS??? Draft some , go after some top free agents but GET SOME !!!! PLEASE

25. By chris pruitt on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

At least they are an entertaining 0-2, we had chances to win both those games. I havent had this much hope in the Lions since 1991 when we went to the conference championship game. I think we will improve weekly as we so clearly have, and predict a close game next week. My biggest worry is the offensive line, we definately wont win any games if we cant protect our QB.

26. By Joe B on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

with all due respect, i hate when people say the fans deserve better because i believe that discredits the effort these players put forth. now, on the contrary, the teams focus at this point needs to shift, in my belief, from putting forth solid effort to deciding to win games. in the locker room before the game is the time to decide you are going to win and go out there and play the entire game like u believe that… and if you don’t believe in yourself and your teammates, that needs to be addressed.

27. By Bill Mi on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Well I’m 48 yrs old and have been a Lions fan since I was 15 and I’ve always said that the biggest problems for the Lions have always been the same..1. their secondary always stinks and their linebackers are never usually better than average..No Ray Lewis kinda back..No Deion Sanders kinda corner..
    2. Not a single good quarterback since Bobby Lane ..they all have been either made of glass or wind up getting fat..where’s our Peyton Manning?
    3.Have never learned to finish games!….the number one problem with this team!!

Oh well I will remain a fan and hope that one day we’ll have a season like the “Aint’s” … opps, I meant the Saints (winning earns respect right)…and I am going to bask in it..I’m going to lose my ever loving mind…I will for once be able to point a finger in my friends faces and say.”.How bout them Lions”…oh well one day.

28. By Bill Mi on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

On the comment of a name for our defense…I think winning earns a name like the “Steel Curtain” or “The Orange Crush”..we’ve got to start winning first otherwise it really means nothing..like when Roy Williams points his finger every time he gets a first down..it means nothing if your losing. One day (hopefully before I hit the dirt) we will start winning and the name will just come..like the Piston “Bad Boys”..until then it’s just finger pointing for show.

29. By Kongsuh90 on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

Is it just me? I think you guys should run more of a hurry up offense to get the miss matches you want. Use the clock and hand the ball to Jahvid. You guys are so close to being really good!!

30. By JDinCincy on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

I am glad the Lions are looking better. They played a great game Sunday. However, I am an Eagles fan who traveled from our home in Cincinnati to Detroit to watch the game and enjoy the atmosphere. The trip and experience was generally enjoyable and yes since the Eagles won I was happy. Most of the Detroit fans were great, supporting their team and playfully booing us (two adults and two 14 years olds, a boy and a girl) as we walked by in our Eagles gear to Ford Field (a beautiful structure). However, shortly after game time, the small minority of “bad” Detroit fans seemed to appear behind our seats. They were foul mouthed and extremely, not just a bit, but extremely rude and derogatory. We just ignored them, but it continued on and on. Apparently another Detroit fan nearby texted Security and they stepped in and settled down this angry and drunk bunch. I want to thank that person and the Ford Field Security Team for handling the situation and allowing us, and more importantly, the kids to enjoy the rest of the game. Too bad the drunks left at the beginning of the 4th quarter as the missed a great comeback by the home team. I know these type of people exist at all sports venues in all cities, Detroit, Cincinnati, Philadelphia, so it is not a surprise, it was just disappointing they sat right behind us and made it a quarter or so of misery. Again, with the exception of this group, the Detroit fans were great, as was the Security Team. Good luck to the Lions this year. That Suh is a beast.

31. By terry on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

i cant believe what some of the veteran fans are saying about the lions. Im a 15 year fan from iowa(gohawks) but you guys have to know that some of the circumstances of our o n 2 were just plain ol bad luck that happens in the nfl. Stafford will be back for greenbay and by then our secondary will b a little more seasoned and some other key injuries should b back on the field. wait till kevin smith is back and at the very least will make Best a triple threat. our front four is incredible and delmas will b a 100% in the next week or 2. Suh hasnt even been broken in yet and either is best and look at those guys. pettigrew playd like he was never injured and that was his first real game and vandenbosch looks like he should b locked up to protect the general public. Detroit wins in minnesota and will probably take Favre out the game by the third quarter. they go over 500 for the year and make run for wildcard and win first playoff game next year!

32. By Jacky Humphrey on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

Lions lets get this win, this Super Bowl and make this thing happen my playbook baby lets do this. Calvin, Best, Suh I mean somebody has to see this hit me up baby lets turn this thing around.
    Just E-mail me back and we can talk then practice this then we win its that simple.
    humphreyjacky@yahoo.com