Suh: ‘If we do make mistakes, they need to be minimal mistakes’

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on September 20, 2010 – 5:38 pm

“The atmosphere at Ford Field is amazing. I was definitely excited to see that and I definitely think that the defense fed off of it. It was definitely a good atmosphere; I hope they keep it that way throughout the year and don’t take this loss too hard, because I don’t foresee any more losses at home.

“I can only speak for the defense and, as a whole, our performance was average. I think we played 85-90-percent of that game pretty well, but when we did make mistakes, they were big mistakes. Those then turned into big plays, which turned into points and touchdowns. Those are the things that we can’t allow. If we do make mistakes they need to be minimal mistakes and they need to be at the most maybe a 10-yard run, a 20-yard pass at the very most. And those 10-yard runs became 50-yard touchdowns and things of that sort.

“We had a tough time with cutbacks yesterday. The running back did a very good job – he’s a shifty running back. But we knew that coming in and we knew that were going to have to watch that he liked to cut the ball back. He wasn’t really a guy that liked to hit the hole. A lot of the time if the hole is wide open he’s going to go through it. If it’s not, he’s going to try to create it and cut it back or bounce it outside. I would put that on us, without a doubt.

“As far as Michael Vick’s performance, we definitely give credit where credit is due. At the same time, the one thing we didn’t want him to do was extend plays, which we allowed him to do. When we had our shots, most of the times we took them, but some of them we didn’t take and he extended those plays. Then instead of him running, he threw it, which hurt us even more. We can’t allow those things to happen no matter who the quarterback is. We’re about to get ready to go against a guy that likes to extend plays and really likes to find plays far down the field. So that’s something we have to get correct very quickly in practice.

“It’s a passing league, so sacks mean more than stopping the run and I am definitely looking forward to getting a sack on Brett Favre. At the same time, I definitely want to get after Adrian Peterson. I know him personally, so I want to be able to talk some trash to him when I see him outside of the field.

“I’ll only talk to him after the game – I’m not the guy that likes to talk before the game. Maybe before the actual game, warm-ups or something like that, but other than that I’ll talk to him on the field while I’m hitting him.

“I actually met him for the first time during the Super Bowl through a Nike event. We’re both Nike, obviously. I talked to him, went to another Nike event with him and talked to him. So, he’s a good dude. I’ve played against him – we played against each other my true freshman year in college – but I didn’t play that game, I was hurt.

“He’s a powerful runner, but he’s also got speed. I think his biggest thing is he likes to try and to run over a lot of guys. He was prone to fumbling last year, so hopefully we can create those again. In the two games that I’ve watched so far, he hasn’t really fumbled it, that I’ve noticed. We definitely want to be able to put that in the back of his head. Hopefully we can get an early one, and continue to do that throughout the game. He’s definitely a guy that’s dynamic that wants to try to break tackles and run over people, so we have to be ready for both. You have to be ready for both. You need to make sure you wrap up.”

37 Responses to “Suh: ‘If we do make mistakes, they need to be minimal mistakes’”

1. By Craig on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Like all, I am disappointed in the loss but I saw some things to be positive about. Let’s be honest, no one really thought we were going to the Super Bowl this year and the loss of #9 before 1/32 of the season had been completed is frustrating but the front four on D with Suh is dominant and with another good draft to fill out the back 7 next year, we will win a games like these.

GOOOO LIONS!!!!!!

2. By Jordan on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

yeah baby rap him up i almost cried when we got you man they were saying we were going to possibly take brian bulaga if rams don’t take bradford or you man i screamed when when they picked bradford because i knew you were next suh!!!!!

3. By cito on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

defense played good i would like to see less cover 2 and more man to man with some different blitzing schemes next week going to be tough running the ball vikings defense is great against the run hopefully well be in more 3 wide sets to take an extra linebacker out the game my give us better chance of running

4. By M.Walker on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Suhhhh! You getting better but how long can you and your pals hold that pressure up front cause yall aint getting no help.I would sit on my defensive backs for evey bomb the oposing team catches. I would be in the locker room on a wild injuries or not where the help. In this game of football its hard bro i understand butttttt? You have a good chance this week cause Brett Farve cant run so this lion or lions will eat. We couldnt kill a bear and we like playing with eagles so a viking is human its time to eat eat eat 8-8 men this year.

5. By Brad on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Well, I was hoping the Lions would look into giving that pro bowl L tackle from the Chargers who is holding out a contract to try and shore up the offensive line some more. If that is even possible. Not that I don’t like Backus, I just wish we had someone who could do the job better. They need to keep Stafford upright and I am guessing that would be a pretty good way to do it. I love all the pontential you guys have, you just need to start having it all mesh together. Eliminate mistakes and play together as one and the sky is the limit. Nice effort trying to come from behind and good game.

6. By Don on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Please Suh, and the rest of the Defence. Wrap Peterson up And do the Same for Bret Farve. Not that I want him or any players to get hurt.
    Well I don’t care for that Jay cuttler dude?
    Anyway’s, the next time we play him youcansurely take him out of the Game!
    and for the rest of the Season as far as I’m concerned.
    Now, About Farve. Take this dude out of the Game and I don’t mean by injuring him. What I mean is to stop that dude from moving that Ball at all.
    Farve has Ruined Playoff Games for this TEAM TO Many Times!
    And just the regular season games I have been to a few games where he And thePacker’s were Behind and he came back and finished the game to beat us on the last drive of the Game.
    So, Beat him Down And Make him wish that he stayed in Louisiana.or mississipi
    or wherever he is from.
    GO LIONS!

7. By ROCKY! on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Suh, we are very happy to have you and the new exciting players on board, but the linebacker that went in on the Blitz from the left side, with a clear shot, needs to go back to the Tackling Dummies over on Oakwood BLVD… He whiffed on Vick and it wasn’t pretty! #24 needs to do his job better and not let those receivers get behind him so often…..he’s killing us!! When I watched the film a few times last night, I just can’t believe that Jackson was so wide open on the reception right in the middle of the field and went in for a touch down???? This game was reminiscent of last weeks game on the HUGE PLAYS……fool me once, shame on you, Fool me Twice……I’m an IDIOT!!! Who looks at these tapes to fix what is wrong??? I know it can’t be Coach Clem…..he’s a film nut and would not let this continue. The back 6-(omitting Delmas)……need to stand up and play like men, or get off the field and let someone else have the chance to do the job….How about Vassar #30??? Anyone can go out there and give up huge plays week after week, but it takes a man to go out there and stop them from happening!!!

Rocky

P.s. Sack FAV-RE a few times for me!!! :o)

8. By Darren on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

This next game between the vikes and the lions will be a great one! I believe the Lions can pull it off if we take out adrian peterson.

9. By robert on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

SUHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! love you man can not say how looooooooooooong i have waited for a player like you to come here i have been a lions fan my whole life and the only player i have been this excited about on defence has been robert porcher i know you will have a long and great carreer get after them vikeings espiecely farve and i know you have a challenge with A. D. but i know that line is something speciele and you guys can do it thanks for signing and comeing to detroit

10. By Mike M on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Mr. Suh,

Please continue to tell the team we will not lose another home game. I love the positive attitude. I am coming from Montana to see you play the Pack on Dec 12th and know we can beat them. I have always told people that being a Lions fan has made me a very humble person. I’m sick of being as humble as we’ve had to be the last few years.

Tell your partner #93 he needs to take a few plays off on the sidelines to stay fresh and not to overpursue on the fake runs. Bringing him in this year and having Foote last year has definately changed the D. You guys are the real deal, keep up the good work.

11. By samuel ballard on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

think superbowl YES i say it we will be in the superbowl in three years the days of days of losing is coming to a END this team is going to be somthing i just wish i could be there an not in dallas detroit is on its way back thank you lions. an to my detroit people dont let nobody talk about our city i dont in dallas never detroit is a great city LETS GO LIONS

12. By Joe Deighton on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Go get a road win big man!

13. By lions414 on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

suh is a very good player i just hope we(the lions) get the old vasher the good one that can get 8 ints because in that department we could us a little help we have a really good line and i think at 100% playing and health wise there are a top 3 line in the nfl as of suh wanting to hit favre i cant wait he has a sack in ever game he has played keep up the good work d-line

14. By Dan Sturgis on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Suh. You impress me man. Do your whole fan base a favor… WIN US A GAME ON THE ROAD! It’s been how long? Bring out that thirst and quench it on the Brett Favre and Adrian Peterson. You have a ton of fans behind you. I feel that some people have failed you this year, but your true fans are here. WIN ONE FOR US MY FRIEND!

15. By Andrew on Sep 20, 2010 | Reply

Yeah what about Vasher, maybe us Lions would of won that game with Vasher getting us an INT or 2 that might of kept us is the game. I will give Jon Wade some personal credit since this was his best game as far as tackles go! but Vasher has the talent to stay on this team for more than this season! If he started atleast 12 games we could see him pan out atleast 4 or more INTs this year, we cant boo Vasher if they only play him 1 or 2 games, but if he fails with a fair shot we should all start crying lol I know this has been sad times for us but the way we played this year is atleast getting our respect back! and we all must believe there is hope again! ” And to be the BEST we have to own the Best” and which do lol Go Lions lets kick the Vikings Ass up and down the field for a change!!!

16. By KillTheVikings on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

Speaking of Vasher…why is he third on the depth chart? He should be starting games for us. Our secondary is suffering! Either our current starters like Wade, Houston, Smith etc. step it up, or Vasher needs to get a few starts for us to see what he can do. The linebackers need to step it up a few more notches as well. Other than that, this team is doing an awesome job! Hopefully Shaun Hill warms up and starts firing more rockets down the field. GO LIONS! Kill those Purple Pansies!

17. By jalen brightwell on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

go lions but are back feld need to get better man foreal. thats why we should get dre bly back an c wht happen more picks. put wade on the side let bly start an let vasher an the nickel. come on lions do tht. houston is good.

18. By Jason on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

GO Lions im so pleased with yur play the last two weeks. way to go special teams. SUH!!!! your the man i look forward to you laying brett out tell him that jason sent you PLEASE!!! yall got this W on sunday cant wait

19. By Dan on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

Suh – you and the D line are great. I especially like Kyle VandenBosch. We need to win some games, for sure. Make sure that there is NO QUIT in this team – ANYWHERE!!! Kick ass LIONS – LET”S GO!

20. By Jason on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

yea go LIONS

21. By Eric on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

This team has potential..Turk Mcbride is not lookin 2 give that job back..he an big sammie are playin well…both of those games were wins for us..we are hangin an beatin these teams!! this team has the makings of a monster team! still a work in progress..im just glad we competin..and giving qbs fits..this is the best front four we ever had period…i have complete trust in wat u guys are doin..shit im going 2 get me a SUH jersey…

22. By BILLO313 on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

BIG DOGGY SUH!!!! I SOOOO hope you get to tee off on Favre this week!!! And i hope A. Peterson tries to show you whats up and go heads up with you!! im sure that if he does hell drop more than just the ball!!! lol. i couldnt have asked for a better first round of this draft!! its a blessing to have you in Detroit! just keep on bustin chops! THEY CANT STOP YOU MAN!!! WREAK HAVOC!!! GO LIONS!!!

23. By Craig on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

Am I the only person that thinks Drew Stanton should get some time out there???? He needs to be splitting some time in there with Hill!

24. By JB, surviror of milen era! on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

What I’d love to see…. Calvin playing like Andre Johnson (who could of been a lion). The offensive line pass block as well as they run block (not sayin much) and Brandon Petgrew to start playing like hes capable of (watch T-Gonz,or Charlie Sanders)

25. By JB, surviror of milen era! on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

As far as DEFENSE. Front four could compete with any line in the L. DeAndre Levy is a beast looking forward to seeing him on the field. Secondary needs to help out on 3rd downs and turnovers.NEED TO FINISH PLAYS

26. By Ryan on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

I’ve been reading these blogs all year on my sprint phone and have been reading all these posts about the lions now and haven’t ever said a word on any of them I live down here in NC and I loved watching you tear dehlomme’s head off Great Job! between you and vanden bosche I’m really loving what I see and love the optimisim of all the fans0 and players just hope we still have that after the bye go out on Sunday and get farve and get us a win I’ll be watching and cheering you on make us proud!! 1-2 sure would look nice about now

27. By Mike on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

This is SO FRUSTRATING. Didn’t expect the super bowl or even the playoffs, but didn’t expect the same old Lions either. Things will be a little better when Levy returns, but we need so much help. I want to cry when I watch Backus. I wonder if Stafford is really hurt, or does he just not want to get hurt with that guy blocking his blindside? So much for the probowl, eh? It’s sad to look forward to next years draft when we are only heading into week 3 now. LT and CB have to be priority and I have to believe since Schwartz was brought in for D, he will go CB. Maybe the kid from LSU? At this point we need a bandaid to get us through the year because Wade is worthless. Admit the mistake and get Bly to come back for the rest of the year. He’s still better than what we have. FIX IT! Get it done before Megatron decides he wants nothing to do with this organization and we start over on offense too. C’MON MAN!

28. By S.J.D on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

i say give Wade some chances!! dont hate on him because of two games! remember he still has to learn all the schemes of the defense with the Lions. But Vasher i was surprized to see in such a low starting spot. I thought he would make it a little higher on the depth chart, but Wade you got to capatilize on those interception oppurtunities! Dont give us any more dropped chances!!

29. By Jordan on Sep 21, 2010 | Reply

yeah you have got to pick that ball get levy back and get rid of jeff backus!i would like bly as well! he wanted to come here thats why he left 49ers

30. By M.Walker on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

Throw bricks at the cornerbacks and make them catch em’ like Jerry Rice father did him!

31. By Eric on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

DRE BLY DRE BLY DRE BLY….START STANTON START STANTON…alfonso smith is a dog..why aint he startin man! put that quick ass punt returner in the slot..! get creative…is bly on the waiver wire..yall messed up wit that..these corners can tackle..but no hands..aint no way we should have lost those games..secondary is killin us..delmas u strong as hell 2 bad u got hurt liftin weights..cause u aint crackin heads like u normally do..i know one thing doe..we got these qbs runnin for they life lol…we got a runner now..when kevin gets healty watch out.. and we need a world class receiver 2 go with calvin and nate..and someone got dre blys number lol…

32. By greg hysell on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

BRING BACK DRE BLY AND START NATHAN VASHER AND DREW STANTON IF YOU WANT TO WIN!! SHOW YOUR LOYAL FANS THAT YOUR SERIOUS ABOUT WINNING! YOU SHOULD BE 2-0 NOT 0-2 WE KNOW THIS BUT THE SECONDARY IS STILL GIVING UP TOO MANY YARDS DOWN FIELD ESPECIALLY WADE…HES A JOKE AND DOESNT HAVE HANDS AT ALL! WE NEED DRE BLY IN THERE ALONG WITH NATHAN VASHER, SEE HOW MANY WINS WE’D GET THEN…GUARANTEED!! ANYWAY GOOD LUCK SUNDAY AGAINST THEM PURPLE SISSIES IN MINNESOTA! IF WE CAN GET A SOLID RUNNING GAME FROM MY BOY JAHVID AND GET THAT SECONDARY TO LOOSEN UP A BIT, WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO WIN THIS GAME AND GET OUR FIRST ROAD WIN IN 21 TRIES!! MINNESOTA HASNT GIVEN UP A 100 YARDS ON THE GROUND IN OVER 5 YEARS NOW!! LETS CHANGE THAT AND DO IT THE “BEST” THE VIKINGS HAVE SCORED A TOTAL 19 POINTS IN THEIR 2 GAMES COMBINED…LETS NOT GIVE UP THIRTY SOMETHING OK GUYS! LETS GO OUT THERE SUNDAY AND PLAY THE ENTIRE 60 MINUTES LIKE YOUR LIVES DEPEND ON IT!! 2-1 BABY AND A START TO SOMETHING SPECIAL!

33. By Michael M. Daugherty on Sep 22, 2010 | Reply

Hi Ndamukong! We can not afford to lose another division game! the front four needs to put a lot of pressure on Favre and company,that will help the dbs!When you score 35 points in a game you should WIN! We need to step it up!We need to play like blood-thursty animals! Losing one more game IS NOT AN OPTION!! Eat those Vikings up!!!

34. By ELIJAHTHEPROPHET!!!!!! on Sep 23, 2010 | Reply

LIONS UPSET VIKINGS!!!!!! WIN WIN WIN

35. By Eric on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

I just wonder how much longer that Jeff Backus is going to allow free runners to kill our QB’s. Both times Matt has been injured is do to Backus.

36. By D & D on Sep 26, 2010 | Reply

Oh my GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Another loss!!!! Do the Lions know about hurry up offense??? Coaching was really bad.

37. By Brandon Mcclennon on Oct 3, 2010 | Reply

It is such a great resource that you are supplying and you’re giving it away totally free. I honestly appreciate seeing web sites that understand the importance of offering a helpful resource for free. I truly enjoyed reading your post :-) Many thanks