Best Voted Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Week

Posted by Tara Altman on September 24, 2010 – 1:20 pm

Voters on NFL.com have made their choice and selected Detroit Lions Rookie running back Jahvid Best Pepsi’s NFL Rookie of the Week for his remarkable performance in Week 2 against the Philadelphia Eagles.

Best compiled a total of 232 yards from scrimmage (78 rushing, 154 receiving) and and three touchdowns in the Lions 35-32 loss. Best became the first rookie in NFL history with at least 75 yards rushing yards, 150 receiving yards and three touchdowns in a single game.

Best on the honor of being Pepsi’s NFL Rookie of the Week: “That makes you feel good because it’s not just an ESPN analyst, or the guys that do that for a living. It’s the actual fans who are voting, so that makes you feel good because it’s the people that enjoy the game who are voting for you.

“I just go week-by week (when asked about the prospect of being named Rookie of the Year), because if you focus day-in and day-out about getting better as a player and helping the team win, all of the stuff at the end of the year will take care of itself.”

Best was selected from among five finalists through fan votes on NFL.com/rookies.  The other finalists were wide receiver-kick returner Antonio Brown of the Pittsburgh Steelers, wide receiver-kick returner Dez Bryant of the Dallas Cowboys, wide receiver Demaryius Thoams of the Denver Broncos and wide receiver Mike Williams of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

After the regular season, five players will be nominated for Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Year honors.  Fans can vote for the winner on NFL.com/rookies throughout the month of January.  The winner will be announced at a press conference at Super Bowl XLV in North Texas.

This is Pepsi’s ninth year as the official soft drink sponsor of the NFL and the ninth year that Pepsi will present the NFL Rookie of the Week and NFL Rookie of the Year awards.

16 Responses to “Best Voted Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Week”

1. By Joe Deighton on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

Awesome! Go Best! Hope you get it this week too.

2. By Alvin Johnson on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

Alright Jahvid!! Way to go!! Make it happen again!

3. By M.Walker on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

That’s good keep playing strong, 14 games or more are ahead.

4. By ChristopherWayne on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

Working towards that Rookie of the Year Award!!!

5. By J.T. on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

congrats on staying healthy with Jeff Backus blocking for you.

Best for Rookie of the year!!

6. By DETROIT-Q-BALL-11 on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

Way to Go. Keep Bringing back the Roar, an swagger that we all Know to be Detroit! Great Job

7. By Jordan on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

if backus gives up a block and has to chase the defender one more time bench his ass he lets the defenders get a full hit on the qb he has to not let that happen this is the last chance i will give him he’s a ten year vet he should know i don’t car who it is mess up you’re benched!

8. By Don on Sep 24, 2010 | Reply

Congrat’s Javid on a great Game!
    And I was there, and saw it happen as many Detroiters were.
    I am not here to compare you to Barry Sanders either, you are your own Man as he is.
    However, I do have to say that it was kind of a flash back to the Day’s when Barry used to break away and take it to the Endzone! And that is very exciting.
    I was at the Tampa Bay game where Barry ran for over 250 yards in that game. Me and my Nephew. It was great.
    The thing is that when you broke away and took off to the Endzone it was much the same feeling as it was with Barry.
    The Kind of feeling that you get when you know you are witnessing someone great do a great thing.
    Keep Going Javid your only just getting started!
    And I hope that you end up with Rookie of the year!
    And maybe someday the Hall of fame and maybe someday the SuperBowl.
    And I hope you are wearing a LIONS Uniform With every accomplishment.
    Go Javid! GO LIONS!

9. By Don on Sep 25, 2010 | Reply

I Only have this to say about the things that Favre was saying and how he was saying good thing’s about our D-Fence.
    And this is it! Favre is blowing smoke up you tahootie. And he does not respect our d-fence or anything else about the LIONS.
    I have seen and heard this very same speech from him for about What15 16 years. Or however long he has been playing us.
    I comes on the radio and does his enterview and say’s this and say’s that about how our D-fence is getting better and how the Lions arent the same TEAM. And poor,poor Bret is just gettin to old. And the streak that he has against us has to end sometime.
    Yea, It does and you better believe that he is planning on that happening.JUST AS SOON AS HE IS REALLY DONE with Football.
    But, there is one thing that you CAN count on and that is that he Is going to go out in that viking stadium And do everything that he can to defeat the LIONS!
    So Be ready! And do NOT bye into the snow job that he is setting you up for!
    Do I believe that this LIONS TEAM can win against Bret Farve on the Vikings home turf ? Yes, I do! I know that we have the talent to win this or any other game that this TEAM put’s it’s mind’s to winning!
    Just don’t bye into his Brett’s Wee,Wee, Bo Ho, Bo Ho I’m to old the Lions are so good Speech. He is a sharp as he has ever been and he know’s it!
    and as long as this Lions TEAM know’s it too, then we should be able to Win this Game. But if we let our Guard down?
    GO LIONS!

10. By Don on Sep 25, 2010 | Reply

THIS IS FOR BRANDON PETTIGREW.
    I just read an article That “MORON” TOM Kawalski Wrote about.
    Something about the great debate, Garbage?
    Well, Let me tell you that I havent heard of any great debate Garbage at all, Except for the one that Kowalski himself is trying to start.
    This dude does garbage like this to our players in order to cause division between Players and Fan’s! And I believe it is all about trying to Move the issue of football out of the way and cause a rift within and without the organization.
    He goes in with one of these Stupid questions and lay’s it on you and you don’t even know where it is comming from.
    And right there is where he Put’s these stupid Idea’s in your head and as many of the players heads as he can. To try and mess the whole TEAM up.
    Well, DO NOT listen to this MORON!
    There have been a few people that have wondered what things would have been if. But the Bottom Line is that those people can just go on wondering.
    Apperantly he is one of them.
    I and countless other’s do not wonder and do not care!
    I was one of the (your) Fans that wanted you to come here from Day one!
    I saw you Play in a game and then I started reading up on you and I was sold on a great TE that could catch and Block like there was no tommorrow!
    In Fact I did’nt think that we would get you because of everyone here Yelling about getting a LT.
    But, Then Watching the draft here you came! TO US THE LIONS!
    And I have to tell you that I have been completely Happy about the Pick and that I know a PlayMaker when I see one! And YOU ARE ONE!
    And, I and, a whole lot of other people are VERY GLAD TO HAVE YOU!
    And I do not Ever think about having it any other way!
    And I know that it was ment to be and that you are supposed to be here.
    This TEAM is being put together to win the Superbowl! and Nothing Less!
    So don’t let Moron reporters come in and tell you stupid things that have No bearing on how this team performs, Or how you perform.
    I know that it probably Made you feel Rotten about the city and the Fans.
    But, It really is’nt true. It’s just a way for him to start contraversy. And THAT is what his dude Kowalski LIKES! He has said it himself.
    He was even going to try and start contraversy about the QBs. But, With Mathew doing so well that makes it a little harder. But, just wait he will do it first chance that he get’s.
    and I have to say that I wanted Mathew Stafford when everyone wanted that LBer. What was his Name?

11. By Don on Sep 25, 2010 | Reply

I believe that we are going to win this Sunday!
    And 2ndry It is time to step it up and start playing over and above!
    Johnathan Wade, That Ball in the Eagles Game was your’s and Your’s alone!
    And even though you were playin, You were somewhere else at that moment.
    It might have even been in the game But, not where you at.
    You know why you missed that ball? Because you were thinking!
    I don’t know what you were thinking about? But, you were thinking.
    Play! Play! play! Do not think! Not once that play start’s. Think before, Think after? But, Not during! You know how to play this position. You can play it with your eye’s closed. And so can the rest of the 2ndry.
    And I know that you guy’s play a lot of Zone, right? Well that does’nt mean that you have to Play the whole time behind the WRs.
    With all that thinking that you guy’s are doing, do you ever think to step in front of that WR and entercept the Ball?
    Or does something tell you that you must stay behind the WR and tackle him after HE catch’s the ball? Yea, If he catch’s it you have to tackle him. However when you see the ball comming and you have the oppertunity to step in front and take it, Why Dont you?
    I will say it again, The best part of being a CB or a Safety, IS The Interception!
    It is also what REALLY help’s to win games. THAT IS THE most important Thing about the 2ndry! GET THE BALL!
    And then if the other TEAM makes the catch! Then plaster the WR! (:
    Anyway’s, this TEAM Showed this City a Very good Game last Week.
    Very GOOD, and VERY exciting.
    SHOW us a GREAT GAME THIS WEEK! A VERY exciting, GREAT GAME!
    A WIN!
    GO LIONS!

12. By Mike on Sep 25, 2010 | Reply

Way to go Javid! You are absolutely right, this is an award voted on by analysts and fans…not just analyst. That means the public is noticing how good you are playing. I have to admit that I was really hoping they would get a CB with that pick, but you are the steal of the draft! I’m very happy you are on this team and I picked up your jersey after last weeks game. Keep your head up Javid, you are one of the best running backs in the league right now. Just wait to see what happens when it all comes together. Do us all a HUGE FAVOR and keep Calvin’s head up too. We need you two in order to get this ship turned around. Congrats again brother…you are the man!

13. By californiaLion on Sep 25, 2010 | Reply

Why is the point spread so high? 11 1/2. I f the Lions have been competative in both games then why is the point spread so gosh darn high.? I hope that the Lions win by 24 points and this will shut all the ney sayers up for little while anyway…

Go Lions!!!!!!!

14. By Mike d from tenn. on Sep 25, 2010 | Reply

Congrats to jahvid best! When the lions moved up too get u in the draft i thought what a steal! U r definetly livin up to expectations. Keep up the good work! Go lions!

15. By Eric on Sep 26, 2010 | Reply

BEST IS A BEAST..we u see him out runin everybody..u know his speed is stupid! we need another real wideout 2 go with calvin..nate is cool in the slot..we had say um a vincent jackson..we would really be ready..i think we are gonna turn it around..we should be 2 an 0…

16. By Jacky Humphrey on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

The Detroit Lions still have a solid shot a winning the Super Bowl (In 2025) It’s not that they dont have any talent, we all can see that they do. Its just some how some way we keep getting stuck with the coaches that have a horrible time getting our group of guys to understand their vision. We always every year have had talent from the Barry Sander days to the present time its just none of the coaches have been able to execute a solid game plan great enough to win in Detroit. My prediction for the game VS the Packers. Detroit – 17 Green Bay 28. Calvin Johnson 65 yards catching and Best 120 yard of total offense. The coach will say that we have alot of work to do and need to make more plays on offense and stop more on defense. 0-4 The Lions will make out and here we go again