Schwartz: ‘I think it’s obvious that we have enough ability to play’

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on September 26, 2010 – 4:46 pm

Head Coach Jim Schwartz says that from looking back at the last three games, it is clear his team has the ability to play and win, but self-inflicting errors are costing the Lions victories.

This week, the Lions started the game 7-0 after a Corey Williams interception led to a 5-yard touchdown from Shaun Hill to Tony Scheffler. Following that drive, however, a muffed punt gave the Vikings the ball at the Lions’ 24-yard line and quarterback Brett Favre quickly capitalized with a touchdown to Percy Harvin to tie the game.

Schwartz: “Obviously (our own errors) played a big part in this game – particularly the first half – honestly keeping Minnesota in the game.”

A missed field goal and big plays negated due to penalty on both offense and defense also contributed to Detroit falling behind.

Schwartz: “We have playmakers, we can’t afford to have stuff called back due to penalties, no matter what the penalty – no matter how it’s called. We’re good enough to not be in that situation. Our penalties are aggressive penalties and some of those they’re going to call. We need to do a better job of it.”

The message Schwartz delivered to his team following the game placed an emphasis on Detroit’s ability to compete.

Schwartz: “I think if you look at our first three games, I think it’s obvious that we have enough ability to play. We have some big-time injuries that we’re dealing with right now, but even with that we’re still fighting and putting ourselves in positions where we have chances. We need to get over the hump; we need to be able to make plays that win us the game rather than have the play that cost us an opportunity at the game.”

53 Responses to “Schwartz: ‘I think it’s obvious that we have enough ability to play’”

1. By TIH2C_ThisIsHard2C on Sep 26, 2010 | Reply

I’m 20 now and it has been since my 4th grade year in grade school that the lions have really put on a season to even remember but the sad part is that the season that I remember would have been a forgotten season by any other team in the NFL. Its getting harder and harder to be a fan, so much amp each year and nothing. I just want them to have one good season for everyones sake here in the D. The first game of the season for us was a representation of the lion official curse. The last game was the official representation of the amp they give only to let down. This game represented a typical game that Ive seen for ten years, turnovers when it matters the most, lots of amp and then we make nothing of it, and quarterback issues everywhere we turn. It’s been ten years and no solution. As far as I’m concrened a good season would be 6 winning games as of right now, other teams would die if this was there goal but for us lions fans it would be triple the happiness that we have seen in the last ten years.

2. By Say What? on Sep 26, 2010 | Reply

I agree. The ability to win is there. Keep the faith! I’m still optimistic! As far as I’m concerned, we are 1-2. We have the ability to win….again. That will start the upward trend!

3. By AJ on Sep 26, 2010 | Reply

I said the same thing while we were messing up every big play from field goals to botched punt retuens and frickin stupid penalties. We have way to much talent to be acting stupid and shooting ourselfs in the foot. This was a hard game to watch. I cant wait till stafford gets back. Hills doing good we just need are guy back there. we also need to get rid of CC brown and put spivey or somebody else at safety cause he aint geting the job done. Lets GET A WIN AT GREEN BAY NEXT WEEK LIONS.

4. By Adam Radmanovich on Sep 26, 2010 | Reply

Detroit fans deserve a better product on the field. I blame this on our coaches & the rest of the management. We can’t catch punts, make 40 yard field goals, and multiple pentaties. Wade shouldn’t even be in the NFL yet starting. I can’t ever remember saying we’ve out coached the opponent. Game management and planning has been terriable. The end of the second half, I’ve seen better time management from high school teams. Ford Field will be empty this year.

The long time Lion’s fan

5. By david "pissed off fan" pardo on Sep 26, 2010 | Reply

Open up the play book, and put STANTON in. Honestly can he hurt us anymore the Hill already has!!! Why have him if he is not gonna play. Hill never did anything in San Francisco that would warrant the respect he is getting in this organization!!!!!!

6. By Peter Richards on Sep 26, 2010 | Reply

Hello anyone who will listen. The team is getting better amd yes mistakes!! It appears to me they continue to get no breaks from the officials. I thought today the calls that went against them at crucial times for the most part should not have been. The players must really feel snake bitten!!

7. By Sheryl Peterfi on Sep 26, 2010 | Reply

Agreed, some of the penalties were the fault of someone on the team, however, the officials made calls that were indeed questionable and always agains the Lions. When is this going to stop? It seems like the officials have it in for the team and don’t want them to suceed. Who can protest this kind of stuff and why aren’t you protesting this kind of stuff? The officials are determining the outcome of many games this season and it is only week 3! What is going on? Granted the Lions need to cut out all the penalties, but not all of them are their fault. Get mad, Schwartz and make it known this will not be tolerated!!

8. By Jon Fillman on Sep 26, 2010 | Reply

I agree, I would love to see Coach Schwartz get mad about some of these HORRIBLE calls. I’m talking about the pass to Calvin Johnson in game 1, and today when the refs blew the whistle killing the backwards lateral/fumble. I know the team had some self inflicted wounds, but putting it all on the team is not fair. We seem to be playing two opponents each weekend, the refs’ horrible calls and whatever team we happening to be playing. The NFL is turning into a complete joke, both in officiating and rules in general. Favre’s head got bumped on the fumble and it gets negated, what a complete joke. If the NFL is trying to convince me to stop watching their games they are well on their way. I have already decided to search for my games online(even though I get the games on TV as I live in Michigan). I have no problem with you taking responsibility for the mistakes your team makes, but if you are going to do that HOLD THEM RESPONSIBLE FOR THEIR MISTAKES.

9. By Mike on Sep 26, 2010 | Reply

Coach;

You say that we have the ability to play but the issue is the dumb mistakes. Perhaps some of the issue is the coaching and lack of an aggressive game plan. They say that the definition of stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again yet expecting different results. 3rd and 2 and you put in the jumbo package (just like last week when you did it on 3rd and 4th down) and once again it fails? This is unacceptable play calling period.

Again the QB could not find Calvin when we needed him to do so. Two pics in the endzone? After the first one it should have been obvious that CJ was the go to guy in the end zone but instead once again you repeat the mistake by doing the same thing that did not work the first time only you expect different results. The result were the same, another pic and the end of any chance that we had at a comeback.

You managed to run a couple of reverses that were so patently obvious that the defense just sat and waited for them and then shut us down for a loss. After the first time of it failing why would you do the same thing a second time and expect different results?

At halftime you made no adjustments that were apparent. You kept running the same things and had the same effect. Obviously a change was required but none was made. The result being that we scored no points in the second half of the game.

Just before the half you allowed time to nearly expire instead of taking a shot at the end zone which (if incomplete) would still have left enough time on the clock for a field goal.

Is this your definition of professional coaching?

Your players are frustrated and are making stupid penalties negating the successful things that we do like fumble recoveries. Why are they frustrated? Because the coaching is boring, unimaginative, predictable, and destined for failure.

You have so little belief in your team that you never even challenged Favre’s backward pass which would have resulted in a fumble recovery for us had you done so.

I know that we are injured. I know that we lost a couple of close games. But coach today you were simply out coached entirely. This one falls on you not the players.

As a fan I am sick and tired of watching this franchise get their butts handed to them week after week. It is time for them to play like the multi millionaire professionals that they are paid to be. But it also way past time that you coach like the professional that you are paid to be. It is time to quit making excuses and to start laying the hammer down on your coordinators. They are failing to put together a gameplan to win this game and coach Swartz that falls on your shoulders to correct.

If you can’t live up to that expectation then I think that you should do the honerable thing and step down to allow someone else to live up to that expectation. Mayhew has done a great job at providing you with exceptional talent. You need to coach that talent to victory instead of allowing them to embarrass themselves and their fans week after week.

10. By Edward Huffmaster on Sep 26, 2010 | Reply

(lol) (lol) … Looks like another 0-16 season, how many more #1 or #2 picks in the draft to we need before we start winning. How come all the sports talk shows are talking about how great other teams are when most of them have ex Lion coaches and players,.hummmm, anyways, i’ve been watching the Lions every sense 1958 and i’m really getting tired of all the B.S. excuses ..the bottom line is the team lacks talent. always has always will.

11. By B. Anderson on Sep 26, 2010 | Reply

It’s not the coaches fault like someone above said are coaches are very good.. The players are playing hard enough to win. I think because of all the new players playing together for the first seeason and the injuries to some very valuble key players. We really need them to be on the field to win games. We do not have enough depth on this team and this is a tough schedule, but we very well could have won the 1st and the 2nd game and be 2-1 now. we will start winning. This team will end up being respected by the end of the year. I might be going out on a limb by saying that, but I see more good plays being made and harder hitting then last year. Some of the same mistakes but very few compared to last year. We will have a streak of wins this year that will give us a good season. Even Bret Farve said think what you want but the Lions have a very tough defense and people don’t believe that yet! Keep the faith Lion fans. The Lions winnning games will happen and when it does all this will be forgotton! I Hope??? :)

12. By AJ on Sep 26, 2010 | Reply

hey I have to agree with mike. that was another point i meant to address. Scott linehan offensive coordinator needs to be fired. the play calling has been terrible. A FRICKIN DRAW ON 3 down is PATHETIC. he is just testing my patience. Schwartz needs to be held accountable indeed. but I like schwartz, he just needs to keep it real and check his staff no doubt. GOOD WORD MIKE

13. By Jim from florida on Sep 26, 2010 | Reply

I have been a lions fan since I was 8 and heard the lions win the then nfl chamionship, I am almost 60 now anyone want to talk about frustration,but it something that gets in your blood and you just dont stop…I now live in florida i watch the stat’s online as the game is progressing…here is my question can Hill complete a pass to the right …I agree with a few others I want to see what Stanton can do he, has been here for a long time if you compare him to most quarterbacks that have played for the lions and I know Burleson is out for now which causes double coverage on Johson but have we completed a long pass yet. seems like we are making it easy for defenses to cover us..one more thing if our offensive line is so improved why do we end a game with little ground gain……Just things I think about

14. By John M on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

I’m a bit down like everyone else seems to be however, you have to have your head examined if you think it is the coaching. I believe we have some real talent on this team, we just have to get healthy and PROTECT THE QB, AND IT WOULDN’T HURT IF OUR DEFENSE COULD PUT THE OPPOSING QB IN A RUSH SITUATION. HOW ABOUT SUH FALLING ON SOME OF THEM…ENOUGH WITH THE COMMERCIALS ALREADY, LETS WIN FIRST OKAY!

15. By Eric on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Well u cant win em all…Calvin is a true sportsman..by not openly complanin about hill..who is having major problems getting him the ball..again drew stanton should play..we should be 2 an 1..shit we could have won this one 2..we self destruct..why i dont know..its time 2 change qbs now..but u guys are gonna come right back out wit hill..and his wobbly passes..LOGAN u were very casual with that punt fumble! that changed the whole game dog..that was real messed up..then they score..the secondary has no cofidence..alfonzo smith..is playin well..these guys actin like they dont wanna tackle nobody..it was good 2 see derrick williams make a few plays..why are we tryin 2 run on 3rd an short!!when u got calvin?..and u been stoped 3 times counting last game..somethin aint lookin right..suh sttaford delmas calvin levy are the future of this team..u stuborn ass coaches are wasting these guys ablities..no way in hell calvin shouldnt be puttin up big numbers..! No need 2 rush stafford back yall aint gonna block for him anyways..some of these personel moves aint lookin 2 good right now..2 right the ship coaches gotta put there egos in check..Get hill outta there before the same ol same sets in..D Line not your fault..u guys doin your job..these other guys need spike there gator aid with some cofidence..!! nuff said…

16. By Daniel on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Once again the play calling sucks. For Best to work you have to throw it down field, NOT DUMP OFFS. They where all in the box to stop Best, no one fears CJ because no one has the balls to throw down field.

17. By Bill Scaletta on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Time for Drew Stanton. It is also time to run the 2 minute drill from the opening snap. When we have a sense of urgency, we play better. Don’t wait until the last quarter to pass the ball to Calvin Johnson.

18. By Lions Fan on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

I know, lets blame the loss on George Bush. Yeah, thats the ticket.

19. By Tampa Lions Fan on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Well, another disappointing Sunday. What gives with this team? No cohesion, can’t make first downs??? We’ve been fans since the 80′s…we’re used to being the butt of jokes and being disappointed every year. Detroit deserves much better from this team and this, we thought, was the year we would make a comeback; instead, it’s more of the same, more of the same. Shame, shame on the Lions ONCE AGAIN!

20. By Al Goodreau on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

I’ve been a Lions and Michigan all sports fan for about 70 years and I sure miss the old days when the Lions were just that – LIONS. When I was a young kid (before tv came out), I used to listen to every Sunday game the Lions played on the radio. In these recent years I can’t even watch more than 10 minutes of a Lions game because the results are the same game after game. I guess I’ll have to be content to watch Brady and Manning to ease the pain of hoping for what used to be.

21. By Lance Lindstrom on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

I have been a Detroit Lion fan for as long as I can remember I am currently 25 And I just want to know when Mathew Stafford will be able to play also, I believe the Lions should take a chance and give Drew Stanton a shot at a start. I mean when I listen and watch through the pre season, it seemed Drew Stanton and Calvin Johnson seemed to be on the same page with big plays. These big plays will once again add the big weapon the Lions built the team around Calvin Johnson aka megatron.

22. By Mick on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

I know it’s early to talk about the draft but our back 7 needs alot of help. I’m trying to deal with the loss of Stafford. He will be back after the Lions first buy week against the Lambs. My mind has a dificult time dealing with loss after loss after loss. I guess you could say this is my escape by saying hopefully next year the Lions will turn it around.

1. Patrick Peterson- can be a shut down corner- can return kicks- can play press coverage.
    2. Von Miller- nose for the ball and a awesome blitzer. He probably won’t be around in the second round so you will have to pick a top saftey like Mark Barron or DeAndre McDaniel or Duenta Williams out of NC
    3.If your not able to move up for Von Miller than you go after a pro bowl OLB. You know the guy out of Pittsburgh. This way you don’t have to waste a pick on a position that requires a year or so to learn. Now you pick the speedy running back out of Oklahoma DeMarco Murray 6’1″ who runs a 4.4. Someone to complement Best. This guy can also run routes putting him in the slot receiver position.
    4. You need to get a steal on an offensive lineman. Your left guard is good but held together with spit and glue. This position can be taken care of in FA. Look what KC has done with their offensive line. If you resolve this pick in FA then pick another CB. You can never have enough.

23. By Ed on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Not to worry Lions fans. When we go out and get a win vs Green Bay…… Sorry I couldn’t even finish with the fake optimism……

24. By DMK on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

I can’t ever remembered getting paid for comming last for 3 years straight with the worst record in a profession. Come on guys, I stuck with you for 42 years, loyality not an issue, but you need to produce now.

25. By Mike d from tenn. on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

im a little surprised by some of these comments! Schwarts is a good no nonsense coach who will turn this team around” they need one more good draft and they will be there. If u were looking for playoffs your not watching the team. 4 or 5 games realisticly! But u have to take baby steps ! With suh stafford best and delmas i like what i see! Next couple years look out! Dante hightower lb alabama in the draft next year. Go lions4 life!

26. By Michael M. Daugherty on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

It takes time for even the greatest players to play good together!We have the players that can be Champions,but they need time to gell! We need to give Green Bay all it can handle! I do not see Lions beating G.B.but we can put up a good fight! Green Bay is at the level of play we need to be at and are not,but we will be if we work hard.

27. By Benn on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

I’m just wondering why the team never starts a game with the same type of urgency it finishes them with.

Why does it take falling behind two touchdowns before we run some less-expected plays?

It seems as if every one of our competitors is studying our playbook in their defensive huddle, as predictable as we are.

I think if that changes, if, from the start, we mix in “creative” plays rather than the mundane off tackle stuff, we’ll actually make a first down before the second quarter and be more competitive throughout the game – instead of just at the end, where we find ourselves echoing the same thing over and over again – - -

Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda!

Thanks for listening.

28. By Don on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

O our GOD, Will You not exercise judgment upon them?
    For we have no might to stand against this great company that is coming against us.
    We do not know what to do, but our eyes are upon you.

We Must understand these three things.
    1. We have no might against our enemies
    2. we don’t know what to do?
    3. we need to focuse our eye’s on the Lord

And then this is what he would say to us.

Be not afraid or dismayed at this great multitude; for the battle is not yours, but, God’s…..
    You shall not need to fight in this Battle; Take your positions, stand still, and see the deliverance of the Lord…..

Stop worrying about it all and take your position’s and Play. And let God take care of your enemies. Or of our enemies.
    LIONS!

29. By M.Walker on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Sorry too say but we are playing for pride and next years draft pick so we should shut down so we can be healhty.

30. By Bill Mi on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Look Matt Millen destroyed this franchise that was already reeling with the loss of Barry Sanders ( What moron drafts 3 recievers in the first round for three straight years)..after an 0-16 season (God it hurts saying that lol) it was apparent that it would take time to turn this thing around…Quitting is never an option. Mr. Schwartz all I can say as just another arm chair quarter back is “Don’t Quit”.

31. By Mick on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

The Lions must pay the piper and get LaMar Woodley born in Saginaw Mi. You give him the same contract J Peppers got in Chicago. Pay the 25 year old man the big bucks. But go 7 years 85 million not six years. Put Spievey at saftey with Delmas. Draft Peterson and then move up to draft Prince Amukamara or Ras-I-Dowling. Whoever presses and tackles the best according to your scouts is the one you obviously take. If your going to have to give something to get one of the two, so what, the Lions fans have waited enough. You give up a second and switch 1st rounds next season. Put Aaron Berry and Chris Houston in nickel or dime packages.
    1. Patrick Peterson – no brainer
    1. Prince Amukamara or Ras-I-Dowling

Your receiving core is thin to say the least. You must draft a wide receiever who can play day one. We don’t need any projects.
    3 Terrance Toliver or Jonathan Badwin bookend for CJ

You Need a kick returner who can change the outcome of a game.
    4. Derrick Locke 4.1 4.2 40 are you kidding me!!

Last but not least you need to get an all pro rt. guard out of FA to give our RB room to roam. Look what KC has done. Peterson is held together by spit and glue and it might be his last season.

Mr Mayhew, you put something together like this and your Lions will rock in 2011!!!!

32. By Jason Ortman on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

My name is Jason and I am a loyal Lions fan. I am 25 years old and always am a fan. I will never trade my team for another one. The thing that I have noticed is that Calvin Johnson doesn’t get the touches tha he deserves. I watch them week in week out not using him to his potential. It seems like when they need a big play it is always at the end of the game when it is out of reach and they always throw it to Calvin. I just don’t understand why he makes the big plays at the end of the games and not during the game like quarters 1 through 3. He is an amazing player and he can out jump anybody in the league. What do you have to lose? Just throw the ball to him and let him make the play. You are already 0-3. Don’t you think it is time to start getting the wide receivers involved instead of the running backs and tight ends. The wide receivers get paid to go out for passes and catch the ball. They can’t do their job if you don’t pass it to them. I hope things will be different in the comming weeks. I will be cheering for you. Thank you for listening to me rant and rave.

Always a fan,

Jason

33. By robert on Sep 28, 2010 | Reply

I am a true lions fan because i still think we can win these games. Ok so or big draftpick Qb is out and our coach wont tell anyone whats wrong. We can get to the Qb but they dont even need to through the ball because we make everyone look like superman running on our team and when they do pass the ball they get big plays allover the place. Coach if he is broken tell us whats the worst thing that could happen you get fired if we dont start winning you will get fired anyway so tell us.

34. By BenR on Sep 28, 2010 | Reply

I’d like to know why we are not getting Calvin the ball. I watch all the other games in the NFL and I see teams like Miami…the Dolphins and Chad Henne, MANY of their plays were simply fade routes where Henne threw the ball up in the air and let his wide receivers go get it. EVEN in double coverage! Calvin is good enough to be exploiting double coverages and getting the ball even with 2 guys on him. We are not showcasing this “explosive” offense we heard all this offseason about. Even with Stafford in we almost never take shots downfield, and many other teams do it on a regular basis. I think it’s getting to the point now where teams don’t even look for us to go deep. I’m starting to think the coaches are giving up on the team. Have some faith in these playmakers and let them go get the ball, who cares if we throw interceptions anymore?? We are 0-3, we should be fighting hard and not being typical Detroit Lions and laying down to die. I know we can win some games but it is starting to feel like we might just go 0-16 again. We have a hard schedule and it doesn’t seem like the coaches are willing to put our guys on the line to try and make some plays. I’ve been optimistic this entire time, even saying we could beat the Vikings this week and it’s like every week us fans and our team just get humiliated. We can’t afford to keep being so apprehensive on offense and we need to just start gambling, do a fake FG here and there, a fake punt, ANYTHING to get a W for once. Most everyone thinks our team is a joke anyways so why not start taking some chances, what have we got to lose? By 14 instead of 7? I wasn’t expecting playoffs this year, but the hardest part of our schedule has yet to come, and if we can’t start making some noise on offense another 0-16 season is looming overhead…and I’m not even saying that as an angry fan. Our team needs a win before even they start to question their ability to win.

35. By darrin on Sep 28, 2010 | Reply

ive bine watching this team since 1980, the play calling is aweful aweful..an u cant get the ball to calvin. is a joke. other teams get the ball to there super stars.the offensive corr. was line coach not that long ago. an was aweful , an here he is the offeensive corr.its sad as a fan i can sit my butt on the coach an guss the plays u run if i can then the other team can….

36. By Lavon on Sep 28, 2010 | Reply

0-16, 0-16, 0-16,… The Packers – Charge the win to Green Bay already. Here we go.

37. By big syph on Sep 28, 2010 | Reply

i been a loyal fan every since i was a little kid in toledo ohio its a lot of detroit lion fans there im 26 now and live in dallas tx do u have any idea how hard it is to be a lions fan in dallas these cowboy fans are relentless at talking trash. and i can not defend my self because we never win WHY DONT WE EVER WIN? im tired of making escuses for one of the oldest football franchises we have the talent we have new coaches brand new stadium WE NEED TO STARD WINING

38. By Jacky Humphrey on Sep 28, 2010 | Reply

There is no doubt that the Lions can play thats not what is in question here. Self inflicting errors has been costing us, well I guess you can say every team in every sport Always. My thing is to also help with the play design and approach to the game I know that im no professional coach or have your exp, but I have some new ideas that I know will help your team put quick and easy points on the board. All I am asking for is a chance to help show you that, I mean you dont even know what I have And niether will the other team. I love the Lions just as much as you do and for years There has always been a new coach with a new approach. My wildcat formations will completly and simply help you if you just take a look. what harm is it in that.

39. By Mike on Sep 28, 2010 | Reply

I myself am a Die-Hard Lions Fan, Now starting the first week we should of had the game against the Chicago Bears, but once again we shoot ourselves in the foot with penalties and bad calls on the field by the Refs or the Head of the NFL. Calvin’s catch in the endzone shoulde have been counted as a Touch Down. Now in week Two we bounced back and showed alot of promise between our run game and using Javid Best to as receiving the under throws, Not only that we have other receiver’s like Calvin ” The Spider” Johnson” our fine list of tight ends losing to Philly by 3 points hurt but from what I seen on the field i myself am exstatic and was hoping for more of the same intensity when we went into week 3 against a troubled Bret Favre team I thought for sure we would win now granted we made mistakes by turning over the ball especially when we decide to take our eye off the ball before we catch it and end up fumbling in our own zone, does not make it easy. But also when our team comes out on that field and it’s first down it seem like Shawn Hill is somewhere else , boom there it is 3 strikes now we are punting, Shawn are u ok out there is there a ghost over there in Minnesota we have not won a game there in I don’t know how long . Hell we could not even do it last year with Donte Cullpepper. Seems like every time we go there our QB not u Stafford ends up freezing whether they try to rush the play like Shawn did the first 9 touches of the ball and not really getting anywhere, Coach with the way things were going is there a reason Hill stood in instead of bringing Stanton in? Ok look at this week and we see the team we should of have beat yes the BEARS are now top of the Division and unbeat . This LIons team has alot of Heart and great tenacity but I as a fan believe we should be 2-1 my thought , But if Stafford is not ready yet intertwine our QB’s Let Hill come out first tell him to shake the Cobb Webbs himself and put them sae #’s up against GreenBay Like we did against the Eagles, and watch some sparks fly and if we look good coming from 3rd to4th quarter use Drew Stanton I think maybe we might seee something. Just my thought. #1 Lions Fan till the day I Die. Good luck to all of you DEfense and Special Teams have really been working hard and C.C Brown you are here for a reason if u cannot play your position then maybe we can put someone in there to supersede what he is supposed to do.

40. By Michael M. Daugherty on Sep 28, 2010 | Reply

The refs are NOT out to get us! they are just calling the game! We need to play a more solid game in every aspect!! Tackle and block,If you can’t do those two things well, you will not win games.We need to get back to the basics!

41. By Jacky Humphrey on Sep 28, 2010 | Reply

The Lions fans seem to be shaken up and only three games have been played. Every year we get our hopes up and it seems we get the most unqualified coaches and players and playbook for the job at hand. The great teams of the League win because they are willing to do what ever to stay on top. New ideas from the fans will help our team only, why not have a fan contest to see who has the best ideas for the team to help and bring them on board. I said it more times than once I will be the one who leads this team to victory just E mail me back Lions

42. By Jacky Humphrey on Sep 28, 2010 | Reply

By Jacky Humphrey on Sep 28, 2010 | Reply

The Lions are the only team that has not evoled in the NFL today. Prehistoric play calling and ideas like the Lions coaches have are out dated the game has changed with the new concept of the Black QB The problem is that the Lions and the NFL are light years behind what I can do and already know. For years they have tried every thing but inventing a new offense for the Black QB until Randell Cutingham and Mike Vick changed that. Now you hear about this new (only to the NFL) offense called the WildCat and Look at how slow it is evolving. Im like the Buck Rodgers of the NFL Detroit Let Me take you there What is hard to the NFL is simple to me. Look at Madden Nation everyone likes to play John Madden Football and what do most people do when there offense is slow in moving the ball they run it with the QB But for some strange reason the NFL is slow to this concept my new and never seen before playbook will shock the world with this new revelation humphreyjacky@yahoo.com

43. By Tim on Sep 28, 2010 | Reply

I have been a Lions Fan for over 15 years and I gotta say the Lions have for sure upgraded the talent on both sides of the ball and have looked good in spurts throughout the season so far….But year in and year out we are so prone to injuries which just devastates this team. Hill hasn’t done great, but all you fans that think Stanton is the answer should probably look back at the games he played last year, especially the game in Lambau Field (we got shut out). Stanton should not start! We basically need Stafford to get back on the field to have any chance to win some games this season (though he has a second degree separation in his throwing shoulder which doesn’t heal over night and he might not have the same velocity on the ball that he had once had right he comes back, but he has started throwing with the team this week so any signs of showing back up are good signs. Though I don’t expect him back until after the bye week, but hopefully I’m wrong). Our Defense of Line has been showing what it can do and is starting to make other teams game-plan around them (Suh, Avril, Williams, Mcbride, and obviously Vanden Bosch are all playing there hearts out week in and week out they deserve a W more then anyone) . Our secondary has one stud out there in Delmas but he can only do so much. Linebackers are pretty beat up right now though I think if we get them healthy that Peterson is obviously an Animal, Levy is coming off a tough Injury but has shown what hes has to bring to the table but we need our other guys to show up and make game changing plays. O-Line needs our best blocker in Peterman. Backus should go at the end of the season for he is the reason Stafford’s out. Receivers are good but losing Burleson is really tough especially for Calvin. The Tight ends are killing it, and BEST, he has a chance to be the real deal if he can stay healthy! Also I hope Kevin Smith can get back in and be our power runner to compliment Best. He had a solid year last year and I think he will help us move the ball. So on the bright side I feel this team is making some good strides, not in the win category yet but once we re healthy I think we will win some games!

44. By Jarrod Burt on Sep 29, 2010 | Reply

Weighing heavily on my heart.

1-I know that we have Hill who was a starter at SF, but this is not the bay area. I want to see Stanton start a game and I don’t think I’m alone on that. He’s got to know the playbook and the man can run with the ball. He’s the 3rd string QB, let him go tear it up and if he doesn’t you pull him and we go 0-4, which would be different from strarting Hill how? He’s not terrible, but he is God awful in 4th quarters.

2-THROW THE BALL DOWN FIELD!!! Hell, over throw the WRs on deep passes on purpose even, but there is no treat from an offense that won’t take shots down the field. It shows you have no confidence in your QB, and you can’t expect defenses to not notice either. Hell I’m suprised that defenses don’t just put 11 men in the box every play.

3-Get Calvin the ball some before the 4th quarter. If it doesn’t lead to wins atleast I can trade him in my fantasy league for someone better than Crabtree.

4-The secondary needs work and i’ll leave it at that.

5-THROW THE BALL DOWN FIELD!!!!!
    I have been a Lions fan for 18 seasons and I will be for 18 more. But if we go 0-18 in an expanded year, you will forever have lost me.

45. By JB, surviror of milen era! on Sep 29, 2010 | Reply

Frist of all it was very hard to watch the game on sunday. EVERY team that we put on the field was man handled. Bottom line. Take my hat off to the o-line for who you went up against and playing ok. I love his attitude but were was DELMAS on sunday? If YOU want to be an elite safety you have to have a better showing. WADE needs to sit and play the rookie amari or alfonso. Vikings knew coming into that game that they were going after wade and if you dont think Rodgers will your wrong.

46. By Paul on Sep 29, 2010 | Reply

How hard it is to be a Lions fan living in Dallas??? try being a Lions fan living in Chicago my friend. These Bears fans are pieces of garbage, plain and simple. Quick story for ya though, my Vikings buddy and I went to WWE Night of Champions 2 Sundays ago in Chicago. I wore my old black alternate Roy Williams jersey and he wore his Vikings #4 favre jersey. [He's a Vikings fan, but he hopes for the best for our team, with the exception of 2 games a year]. ANYWAY, I go to use the john afterward and he goes outside for a smoke. I come outside and I see 8 Bears’ jerseys bouncing around him in a circle, grabbing at him etc. like a bunch of hyenas or something. SO, I jump up right in the circle with him and elbow a dude grabbing the back of his jersey. They’re talking smack and then, they notice my Lions jersey, my Lions jacket, my Lions hat right in the heart of Chicago. One dude goes to grab my arm and I push off him. They’re running their mouths, and my friend and I aren’t saying a word, our fists are doubled up standing back to back about to throw down with 8 Bears fans. Ended up they realized we weren’t about talking smack and we must not be too panzy if we’re knowlingly wearing our gear there so, they left.

These Lions irritate me beyond belief with their futility, but I love ‘em and I dayum sure wear my gear around here hoping, praying someone’s dumb enough to open that hole in their face.

GO LIONS!!!

47. By TL on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

Mike,

I have been saying the same things for weeks, this team has had a chance to win all three games and it is because of inferior coaching that we have not won at least one.

Terrible play calling in crucial situations, we should shelf our short yardage defense and utilize the playmakers that Linehan and Schwartz coveted. This coaching staff it not much different than “pad level Rod” and his cronies.

Both are ultra conservative, don’t take any chances even at opportune moments in the game, both have unimaginative and unproductive offenses. They do not coach to win game, but rather “coach, not to lose” and ultimately this only makes you lose.

They need to open up, show us this “explosive offense we all heard about all pre-season and has Herman Edwards once said. “you play to win the the game. I say to Coach Schwartz…Coach to win the game!!

48. By Jacky Humphrey on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

The Detroit Lions still have a solid shot a winning the Super Bowl (In 2025) It’s not that they dont have any talent, we all can see that they do. Its just some how some way we keep getting stuck with the coaches that have a horrible time getting our group of guys to understand their vision. We always every year have had talent from the Barry Sander days to the present time its just none of the coaches have been able to execute a solid game plan great enough to win in Detroit. My prediction for the game VS the Packers. Detroit – 17 Green Bay 28. Calvin Johnson 65 yards catching and Best 120 yard of total offense. The coach will say that we have alot of work to do and need to make more plays on offense and stop more on defense. 0-4 The Lions will make out and here we go again

49. By Jacky Humphrey on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

I hope someone from the Lions see’s this blog im offering $5000 to the team just to hit me back and try my plabook. If not on the field how about the practice field at Allen Park, I know that $5000 isnt alot of money to you guys but to me its every thing.
    Im willing to pay this team to just give my playbook a look no one has seen or can stop the things that I am doing if I cant do what I say that I can do on the practice field keep the money and the playbook
    humphreyjacky@yahoo.com

50. By Jacky Humphrey on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

Detroit needs to show the fans some love why not try and let the fans help with this long time problem.
    its obvious that if something doesnt change soon someone will be fired from the team again. we pay good money to see this crapy mess every year and even in this depression. we put up with alot of crap from this team and still are willing to hope and beleive in this team win the Fords and the Lions players and coaches wont even listen to are fans. you can take my money every year but not our ideas.
    My playbook baby come on call me up
    humphreyjacky@yahoo.com

51. By robert on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

I am 33 i have been a lions fan for as long as i can remember. In the early 1990s we were looking at the playoffs every year but as soon as matt million toke over its been bad. So i know it will take some time to get all of his players off the team and get the good players on the team and i think we have a great coach but i am scared the ford family will fire him if we dont start winning games. So take my advice the front 4 is great and they will just get better the front 4 is more for pass rush and to stop the run we need LBs i know we are going for younger players but we need to get an outside LB to work with Peterson so sign Keith bulluck he knows the D we are using he is a freeagent right now have the young LB that is in his POS learn from him just 1 year as a backup to Bulluck will do him some good. And we will win some games so we can keep our head coach!!!

52. By charlie waggoner on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

I to have been a lions fan since i was ten back in the days when barry sanders tore up the turf. I know that its been hard and I to hope not for a good season but for a decade of good seasons. this will happen soon i know this team is getting better you can see this they will break out soon and if they keep what they have and add the last of the pieces the need the next few years should be looking up. No matter what happens though i will always be a fan till my last breath. thats what being a fan is all about !! you dont pick in chose for good or bad im a true fan!! I was born in kallamzoo mi lived there up till ten years ago. now i live in marrinette wi about 45 miles from the cheese head capital of the world green bay and i where my lions gear with pride all the time in season and out i guess it would be harder if i was a bears fan lol . but go lions and go lions fans stand strong!!

53. By Thomas on Oct 1, 2010 | Reply

I would like to start off by giving BIG MIKE his props…I could not have broken down our crappy play calling any better, also I could not agree more with the problems with the coaching staff…Why in the world do we not utilize CJ more??? Are the coaching staff really that afraid to go long?? I think I speakfor a lot of us Lions fans when I say, “WE ARE TIRED OF ALL THE CONSERVATIVE PLAY CALLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” I understand there is a time to be conservative, but it looks to me like it is all game long…The difference between a winning team and a losing team is the coaching. I am sure you look at all of the other teams in the league…The winning teams are the ones where all of the coaches are on board… It takes everyone to come up with a solid gameplan…It also takes execution to win games…If the players are not executing the plays, then that means the players did not do their jobs…For example, I am a chef at a local restaraunt…My boss brings me paperwork for a big function, I talk it over with my staff, I assign positions to them, the big day gets here and most of the work gets done…Notice I did not say all…Those players who did not execute, will be reprimanded, and probably let go…I’m not saying it is all coaching, because we need to hold the players accountable too…Coaches give the directions, it is the players responsibility to execute…One of my HS coaches always told us, ” I can not play this game for you…If you want to win, it is up to you…” This is something that the players should already know…I think players who commit stupid penalties should be held accountable…I know penalties are a part of the game, but if you get a penalty, I think that is a lack of discipline and focus…These guys make way too much money to be committing all these stupid penalties…As far as coaching, lets see some more creative and agressive play calling…Lions fans have waited too long for a winning season just to be let down again… Thank you for listening to me…Lets Go into Lambeau and show Green Bay what we are made of….WOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!