Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on September 27, 2010 – 2:43 pm

“When we came into the game, I felt we were right there in it. On defense we were getting some pressure on Favre. On offense we probably came out a little rocky. Then we finally got a groove going. We got the turnover down there and we scored on the turnover.

“The way I feel about it – if we find a way to get into the red zone, we can score every time. We came close to that yesterday. We had the turnover down there for us yesterday, but I feel if we get down there, we have a great chance to score. The thing is just getting down there consistently.

“The big thing for me is seeing these other receivers get the rock – that’s just going to open things up for me. Especially when they start getting up there in yards in the game and start causing damage. Then they can’t just pay all this special attention to me, then I’ll have more opportunity myself to go down the field and make big plays.

“We’ve lost starters in each game, but it’s not deflating. We’ve got people who can come in and fill. Shaun came in and filled in for Matt. Nate went down the second game – Bryant stepped in. Then the last game, Jahvid went out in the second half and we’ve got Mo who can step into that spot. Peterman went out and Dylan stepped in.

“That’s what Coach said: ‘Guys, you’ve got to step up.’ Coach said it yesterday. Guys have to step up when they have the opportunity to and some of those guys definitely have the opportunity and they need to make the best of it.

“I’m definitely going to be watching the Monday Night game tonight because we’re playing the Packers next week and it’ll be good film – I can get a head start on film. The Packers have some good linebackers. Their front performs well at times and they’ve got some good players in the secondary. So they’ve got some good all-around talent on defense.”

Posted in Calvin Johnson Blog | 41 Comments »

41 Responses to “Johnson: ‘The big thing for me is seeing these other receivers get the rock – that’s just going to open things up for me.’”

1. By Alex on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

I’m 16 and a die-hard lion fan in Indiana. I just want to see you guys progress, to many stupid penalties and misscommunication in the defensive backfield. Ii particuraly made me mad when they ran those quick 10-step turn around, throw, catch and the corners waited for the receivers to run up to them to make the play, our corners are not agressive at all! We don’t make the key tackles, and get embarasses on defense ( except D-line ) watch the brian dawkins/reggie bush play from a few years back on youtube and show the guys and tell them thats how they should be playing, with that enthusiasm. I don’t expect us to hit that hard, but to run up and have an agressive defense! I feel so dissapointed at 3 P.M. CT. every sunday when we lose, I just want my team to be respected by other NFL teams.

Go Lions

Sincerely A.P.

2. By jake on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Calvin, your doing just great, the only problem is that Sean Hill has to stop throwing stupid passes. Maybe we will upset the packers on their home grass at Lambeau Field.GO LIONS

From BigfanJake$

3. By Bill Mi on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Keep up the hard work Calvin…It’s tough on everyone..fans.players,coaches,but giving up sticks with you forever.As long as you keep fighting..that’s what really counts..GO LIONS.

4. By M.Walker on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Calvin you are playing for pride again what for 4 years now.

5. By Ed on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Calvin I can appreciate you being positive but we keep hearing how the other receivers are going to open it up for you.

How about this. Open it up for yourself and pull a Keyshawn.

Make them throw you the ball!!!!! Go get it for crying out loud. That is what great receivers do.

6. By John on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Please just stick with it, Calvin. All the losses must be extremely frustrating, but from the outside, the change in talent level around you is evident. There’s a hump to get over today, but there’s a bright future for this team as long as everyone keeps buying in. Thanks for all you’ve done, and all you will do in a Lions uniform.

7. By lionsfan on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

i think the lions need to stop trying to run to open up the passing game and pass to open up the running game we have a really good receiving core y not use it itll help best be the best and im sure calvin and all the other guys wouldnt mind getting the ball more often,,,,

8. By Dwhite on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Mabye the lions instead of the jags should be the ones to move to LA. Heck look qhat it did for clevland when they moved to baltimore, because it looks like it could br another 0-16 or 1-15 year.

9. By Jordan on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

you know the first play of the drive against the packers we need to launch one down field and see what the are made of that will change how the defense plays us and when it’s 3rd and 2 pass the fucking ball they can’t stop our tight ends thats how we convert the shorts

10. By jgibson on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Can’t wait to see the endzone celebration you didn’t get in Chicago. Don’t fully understand why Lions wait till desperation time to start throwing down the field. Want to have healthy Stafford and entire offensive weapons on the field at the same time. Gonna be a great show. Staying loyal here in Las Vegas. Please don’t get injured. Want to see that long stride heading to the end zone!! Keep a positive attitude and so will we>

11. By L. Lopez on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

As a Lions fan since 1978, I have seen alot. i do see the Lions better this year but it is still not enough. Stupid penalties are killing us! I would hope to see the ball thrown to Calvin more especially in the red zone and on 3rd down conversions. If you watch other great teams, they no where to go at the right time. I dont see that with the Lions. This is what bothers me. I still have faith and know that they will win a few more games than last year. Throw the ball to Calvin and watvh him make plays!

12. By Tom on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Keep working hard and stay optimistic Calvin. You have the full support of Lions nation. Just wait until Matt comes back I assure you and every lions fan that the offense will look a lot better

13. By Phil Vincent on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

What’s up with the play calling? I’m completely baffled by some of the choices made. it’s like someone just says, ‘well let’s try this, maybe it’ll work…’
    I am amazed everytime I see you play. I watched you bump a guy and knock him over yesterday, catch the ball, get the first dowm… let’s get some more quick passes to you off those bumps! I mean, as soon as you touch the ball, you’re a monster! Instead of trying to force it to you when we’re desperate, how about we go with the plays that work and show the NFL what you can do?
    Also, 0-3 is nothing. You guys are ten times the time I watched last year and playoff caliber. I whole-heartedly believe that.

14. By omar.a.hayat@gmail.com on Sep 27, 2010 | Reply

Hang in there fellaz!! Born a lions fan, die a lions fan no matter what!! The secondary needs to pick it up.

15. By thachamp31 on Sep 28, 2010 | Reply

our defensive line is awesome but i think we have solid tacklers in our corners but not playmakers except delmas we need guys to make interceptions and knock passes down not just tackle. as for offense throw the ball to calvin i watched the jets vs. miami game and marshall was killing them even being double teamed and calvin is a better reciever then marshall. lets go lions im tired of watching a losing team but ill be watching every sunday

16. By domenico on Sep 28, 2010 | Reply

Calvin,

That leap to grab the ball out of the air on your route streaking down the sideline was SICK!!! Megatron! I saw that and said “helluva” catch, and if I were coach you’d be getting more of those routes.

Man, if you could slip out of those leg/feet tackles on those quick curl routes you’d be seeing paydirt. Don’t be so quick to lunge forward to get the couple yards. Let the rb’s get those for ya’ll!!!

BTW, can you go back to Tech for your last year of elligibility. We need a reciever! HA.

Take care. Go LIONS!!!

Best of Luck to the Lions.

17. By J.T. on Sep 28, 2010 | Reply

This team is getting better but it’s still the same ol lions. The improvements don’t matter if you lose all the time. You would think that as men the Lions would’ve punched someone in the mouth by now and done something to not embarass all the loyal fans who support the team through every pathetic loss. Each year we hear “we are getting better” and than you guys seem to invent new ways to lose. You lose all credibility after going 0-16. Our starting LBs might be the worst in the NFL except for Julian Peterson. for the last 10 years I’ve watch pretty much every team in the NFL get better while the Lions are the longest running joke in the league. It feels so crappy when i turn on NFL network and see teams like Kansas City and Houston who have built respectable teams and are actually moving in the right direction and than they show a Lions highlight……

But I’ll never give up on this team because we are starting to acquire talented players and we have very good young players on the team. But hopefully Stafford will be back soon. As if it matters, you could put Jesus back there and Jeff Backus would get him put on IR. But good luck vs GB, you’ll need lots of it cuz GB does’nt accept losing. Go Lions. Happy belated B-day BTW

18. By Dwhite on Sep 28, 2010 | Reply

Well you know i dont want to hear anymore about pogression, how they “feel” the team is going in the right direction. They neef to shut up and prove it when it count….. Talk is cheap

19. By Daniel on Sep 28, 2010 | Reply

Once again the play calling sucks. For Best to work you have to throw it down field, NOT DUMP OFFS. They where all in the box to stop Best, no one fears CJ because no one has the balls to throw down field.

20. By Getting Old on Sep 28, 2010 | Reply

LOL GREAT receivers don’t need to be open. Look at Andre Johnson down there in Houston, heck alot of them take on double teams and still gets the ball. In my eyes CJ is starting to look like a number 2 WR compared to the great WRs. Its the OC that is screwing this up. Throw down field and throw it up to CJ and let him do something or trade him for a CB.

21. By Brian on Sep 28, 2010 | Reply

Wer’e finally getting a good d-line that can put pressure on a quarterback but what good does it do if the corners are gonna play 10 yards or more off the receivers and let them always make the catch before coming up to make a tackle if they make the tackle. Com’n defensive backs get aggressive look for the ball when it’s in the air start making plays start covering receivers do something back there. Go Lions win 1 for us die hard fans.

22. By Jacky Humphrey on Sep 28, 2010 | Reply

By Jacky Humphrey on Sep 28, 2010 | Reply

Lions I have been all over this Blog game trying to get discoverd like a rap artist trying to seek a new music deal. I am the dude who keeps on raving about this magical playbook that will take the NFL by storm. Now I can go any where with this playbook but only the Lions have a big enough stage for me to Play on. After we win the Super Bowl this year with this playbook Movie deals talk show interviews and books will the story of this playbook and the Lions taking a chance on an NFL fan. Contact me humphreyjacky@yahoo.com

23. By Jacky Humphrey on Sep 28, 2010 | Reply

The Are consistant in one thing and thats inventing new ways to lose every year it seem to be a trend that we set. We are the only team who always loses and will never take a chance. Look at philly and mike Vick, The Bingals and T.O Look at the Raiders I mean come on Lets take a chance on the fans for once and lets get my playbook into action here its the only hope. humphreyjacky@yahoo.com

24. By Jacky Humphrey on Sep 28, 2010 | Reply

All I need to hear is come on down like The Price is Right and the Lions and the Lions fans is going to love this. This playbook is magic baby hit me up
    humphreyjacky@yahoo.com

25. By Jacky Humphrey on Sep 28, 2010 | Reply

The Lions are the only team that has not evoled in the NFL today. Prehistoric play calling and ideas like the Lions coaches have are out dated the game has changed with the new concept of the Black QB The problem is that the Lions and the NFL are light years behind what I can do and already know. For years they have tried every thing but inventing a new offense for the Black QB until Randell Cutingham and Mike Vick changed that. Now you hear about this new (only to the NFL) offense called the WildCat and Look at how slow it is evolving. Im like the Buck Rodgers of the NFL Detroit Let Me take you there
    humphreyjacky@yahoo.com

26. By jc pauli on Sep 28, 2010 | Reply

Its good to see fans all over the country, im from vegas, but now in college in hawaii and i absolutely bleed blue and silver for this team. Its just so hard to watch Linehan’s terrible offensive schemes that involve 6 passes to megatron for 60 yards a game. Every other good receiver in the nfl gets double teamed, calvin johnson can handle any double team from any two people on any day, just put it in the right spot and he will go get it!!God help us until we get stafford on the field and the rest of our linebackers/secondary start stepping up

27. By Jordan on Sep 28, 2010 | Reply

the tight ends we have can’t be covered jeff backus has to go call back dre bly and lanch that damn ball down the field to open up the secondary it’s way better than a run on first and 10 for one yard what it up with stafford?

28. By J, B on Sep 28, 2010 | Reply

Once the team stops trying too hard to win, and just play their team
    game plan, everything will work out fine. There has been so much
    losing in the lions history, people just want to see a winner. We
    in Detroit remember the red wings and what they went through
    in the 70′ and early 80′s. They had the same problem. What fixed
    that situation was more an attitude then anything else. This team
    is well on their way to winning. Go Lions!

29. By garren on Sep 28, 2010 | Reply

Hey there Calvin. Glad to see you’ve got your head up. I was really dissappointed in the offensive scheme this week. It seems like they haven’t figured out how to use your talents yet.

30. By paul on Sep 28, 2010 | Reply

the problem is the secondary defense. those CB and SS get burned all game. i say bring back dre bly. i also say get a new offensive line look how much time brady has to throw compared to our QB’s.

31. By domenico on Sep 28, 2010 | Reply

I have to say that one thing these great recievers have are great qb’s…. do the lions have one? Stafford needs to hit the gym and loose the double chin because he is frail… so Peppers lands on you, get up and play. He needs to hit the gym and stop hanging out with his UGA frat boys.

I like Stafford but he is a pretty boy…

Those other great recievers, have great qb’s or at least another good 2wr. Where is our second wr? Oh, Burleson… his strength and health is suspect, B Johnson (well we wouldn’t have got Burleson is BJ was a good 2 wr)… so opponents just beef it up on CJ. Put him with Manning, Brees, Brady, hell even Cassell and CJ would be TURNED UP!

Best will be good and have that AP effect those clowns have in Minn. But I hope he’s healthy… what a big toe? Great…

32. By Eric on Sep 29, 2010 | Reply

Calvin man u are a positive man..i am glad 2 see petigrew sheffler, williams..up there game..but u are the biggest threat in the nfl..bet u breeze or manning would give up there best reciever 2 throw 2 u!! I love Stafford cause he knows that..an he can get u that ball..indeed we have some nice peices on this team ..i know u see that..i see u not the type of guy 2 complain..and i admire u for that..but u an Matt,Suh,Best,Delmas,vandenbosh,levy,an the other young guys..got somethin special brewing..these are growing pains..stick wit it calvin..jim is gonna turn it around..yall gonna reel off 3 super bowls in a row somethin crazy..i beleive in u guys…Stafford we waitin on him!!! bobby layne baby!! part 2…

33. By Cory on Sep 29, 2010 | Reply

Calvin I have you guys at 12-4 this season man and I keep hearing this is ya last year as a Lion. Please dont go you’re one of the pieces of this Detroit team. I’m still not givin up on you guys you have the tools to become a championship team

34. By Mick on Sep 29, 2010 | Reply

I predicted last year the Lions wouldn’t gel until game six. Thinking it had to do with chemistry not injuries. Lets face it, our offensive coordinator needs to become more innovative in his prep for the pack. I think his game plan must fit his quarterback replacement not MS. He needs to become more unpredictable…More wild cat… more reverses…double screens…hay what ever it takes!!!Lets open up the play book so when MS returns were not 0 and 5.

35. By DanYoInDaLionsDen on Sep 29, 2010 | Reply

Keep Pushing things do look better. We need help at offensive line and CB too. Dre’ Bly would be ok there. i was kind of shock to see him go. I got your back. Lions Roar.

36. By DanYoInDaLionsDen on Sep 29, 2010 | Reply

I agree with Eric. Well said.

37. By Jacky Humphrey on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

The Detroit Lions still have a solid shot a winning the Super Bowl (In 2025) It’s not that they dont have any talent, we all can see that they do. Its just some how some way we keep getting stuck with the coaches that have a horrible time getting our group of guys to understand their vision. We always every year have had talent from the Barry Sander days to the present time its just none of the coaches have been able to execute a solid game plan great enough to win in Detroit. My prediction for the game VS the Packers. Detroit – 17 Green Bay 28. Calvin Johnson 65 yards catching and Best 120 yard of total offense. The coach will say that we have alot of work to do and need to make more plays on offense and stop more on defense. 0-4 The Lions will make out and here we go again

38. By jalen brightwell on Sep 30, 2010 | Reply

we ok go lions jus got to get back on track.

39. By LYDELL (Detroit) on Oct 1, 2010 | Reply

Excellence!!!!!!! in the fundamental basics!

.(receivers)
    see the ball,catch the ball,secure the ball, protect the ball, look for chance to advance the Ball!
    .defence (corners)and (safeties)
    be aware of the ball in the air, be aware of the run, tackle by rapping up!
    .(offensive line)
    wait for the snap of the ball,carry out assignment to the fullest, protect quarterback, and consistantly stick to the basics!
    .(conclusions)
    Sticking to the basics is what will make it all come together.We are lacking the sharp attention to the basics! We dont look sharp because there are some still not paying close enough attention to the fine details, exclusively the basics.This can be related to ‘mistake free football’. Why so many mistakes? because of the lack of consentration on performing my job with basic skill! So, let me be clear resort back to the fundamental basics of doing your jobs and we shall taste both excellence and success! (not u calvin) I think you have a total grasp of this concept, but need to spread this knowledge by taking the ‘laggers’ by the hand..ie extra time with them, including the back up qb!( who did a good job) but is also exposed of his lack of disipline to the basics! Ask any authority if I have it right or wrong and I bet I have it right! Throw everything else out the window!and clear your minds! much love!

40. By craig casto on Oct 1, 2010 | Reply

WIN WIN WIN PLEASE WE NEED TO BE HAPPY SUNDAY FOR A CHANGE HAVE FUN OUT THERE.

41. By Don on Oct 3, 2010 | Reply

Well, Nackie Hukphry, Who does’nt know jack about Football!
    The REASON that the Players never get what the coach’s are talking about is because a coach never stay’s here for more than 2 to 3 years.
    When the players arent sure if the coach’s are going to be here next year or not it is hard for them to make a choice as to weather they sgould learn the system or not? Why learn a system when it is or might change next year?
    Your another Moron, that think s he know’s what he is talking about. And one that allway’s calls for the coach’s job.
    And with everyone in this city calling for every coach’s job that we have ever seen or had. Where has that gotten us?
    Oh, yea, 0 and16. That is the one thing that is MOST evident that this is a losing TEAM. it is a losing city that does’nt have and never will have a coach that is good enough. because the media and the Fans think they know it all. Yea this city has proven that they know football allright.
    They havent had a winning season in 50 years.
    And when they did have one they ran that coach out of town too!(: LOL!
    The best thing for this TEAM would to get out of this city because the people here are the reason for all of the loses. well some of the people and a LOT of the media. When thing’s don’t go right blame the coach.
    This city would scream for a great coach and if Vince Lombardi was alive and this city got him to coach here they would be screaming about something that they did’nt like about him. And then, they would run him out on a rail.