Follett Taken to Local Hospital for Evaluation

Posted by Tara Altman on October 17, 2010 – 5:32 pm

In the Lions 28-20 loss to the Giants, Detroit lost both QB Shaun Hill and LB Zack Follett to injuries.

Follett was injured in the fourth quarter after a helmet-to-helmet collision on kickoff return coverage. He was immobilized and taken off the field to a local hospital for further evaluation.

Head Coach Jim Schwartz after the game: “Zack Follett is getting some tests right now. We don’t have the results of those tests, but he’s got feeling in his extremities and was getting some of that back before he left the field. There’s still a lot of other things that we need to test and that we need to see with him. Let’s keep him in our prayers.”

In a statement from the team regarding Follett: “Both the MRI and CT tests performed on Zack this evening at the Hackensack Medical Center were NEGATIVE. Zack is resting comfortably and has feeling and movement in all of his extremities. He will continue to be monitored throughout the evening. We expect no further updates until Monday.”

Hill fractured his non-throwing (left) forearm and was replaced by QB Drew Stanton in the second quarter.

Hill on leaving the game: “It’s part of the game, it is frustrating. We’ll keep our spirits up and this team is going to keep battling. We’re going into the bye, we’re going to get Matthew (Stafford) back, and the other guys that have been playing hurt are going to get healthy and we’re going to try to make a run at this thing.”

52 Responses to “Follett Taken to Local Hospital for Evaluation”

1. By Ralph on Oct 17, 2010 | Reply

My prays go out to Zack Follett that he will get better and will play again for the Lions.

2. By Lhunt007 on Oct 17, 2010 | Reply

Hill has a fracture??? And Stanton was looking pretty banged up after the 2m warning.. Come on O-line, we gotta keep these guys off our QBs!

3. By Lhunt007 on Oct 17, 2010 | Reply

Honestly I’m more concerned with Follett, I’m praying hard he pulls through just fine. That hit has a lot of us worried, my prayers go out to him and his family.

4. By John M on Oct 17, 2010 | Reply

Lions played a good game, unfortunately there was a questionable call concerning a loose ball (I couldn’t see any replays from where I was) but it appeared to me that Burleson was down. I guess all we can do is come back after the break and kick the Redskins butts.

5. By Tom on Oct 17, 2010 | Reply

You know what I really hate…Is when a team plays its heart out and gets screwed a few times by the officials. I think the officials should be viewed on tape and judged by their performance, just like players. There were 4, Four, at LEAST 4 penalties called against the Lions that were not penalties and several missed penalty calls on the Giants. When is the friggin bias crap going to stop!!! I am almost fed up with the NFL. Not saying this is why the Lions lost, but it did not help and stole some enjoyment from the game. Special prayers for Zack Follett and his family.

6. By dave on Oct 17, 2010 | Reply

Yeah it’s too bad about shaun hill…but I thought it was an illegal hit diving into the quarterbacks legs, but not if you are on the home team

7. By thachamp31 on Oct 17, 2010 | Reply

way to many penalties but a couple at crucial times like on burlesons 20 yard reception we had them at 2nd and 20 suhs illegal hands to the face bad time to get penalties against a good team

8. By william rhoads on Oct 17, 2010 | Reply

i dont care what you say,this is a team on the verge of turnig the corner and i belive they will be awesome next year these guys have been playing good offense against some good teams.

9. By thachamp31 on Oct 17, 2010 | Reply

all said and done good job giants but come on detroit i like that we are not losing by much but its time to say the hell with that and pull some wins out i have faith in this team

10. By David Pernie Sr. on Oct 17, 2010 | Reply

This bunch of guys that Jim Schwartz has put together is doing everything right but winning. What a bunch of hard nosed gritty guys! I still think, and always will think that they were robbed in Chicago, (Calvin Johnson’s catch). I’m glad they’ve got the bye next week because it’s not going to be long and “nobody” is going to want to play the Detroit Lions. Jim Schwartz is a winner! Go Lions!

11. By larry on Oct 17, 2010 | Reply

The Lions are no longer the least talented team in the NFL, but they are clearly the dumbest. Getting an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty after a third down stop, illegal hands to the face when the opponent is third down and 20 to go, blocking a guy when he is out of bounds. Do these guys know the rules even? They are killing themselves.

12. By Mark A on Oct 17, 2010 | Reply

Glad to read that Zak has movement, our prayers will be with him..A Giants fan.

13. By Rick Long on Oct 17, 2010 | Reply

Lions are getting better. I like this team and the coaching staff.They seem to have 3 good QBs. Penalties need to stop as do some questionable ref calls. Maybe I am a homer? When is Pettigrew going to hold onto the ball? He has to be tougher and come down with the ball. The last pass was high but looked to be right through his hands. I counted drops or balls that should have been caught and there were at least 5 just when Stanton was in the game. What gives? Does Bryant Johnson have an aversion to pigskin?Anyway it seems the Lions can win with any of their QBs. Stantons legs are an added dimension, but the penalties and dropped passes need to end. It wouldn’t surprise me to see the Lions whip off 6 or 7 wins in a row.

14. By bruce cottingham on Oct 17, 2010 | Reply

7 men on the line we had eight and the giants line shaped like a curve they never had 7 on the line half the game could someone explain this to me.

15. By vishlat on Oct 17, 2010 | Reply

Tough Loss! Pray Follet is healthy! Lions show toughness on defense but a lack of discipline! 11 + penalties? 4-5 of those were just stipid especially when Nate was setting up a 1st and goal (Thanks to Suh!). Scott Linehan calls on 1st down are just horrendous – how many times were we 3rd and long? We need some one to pound on the run and Jahvid is no answer (yet). Drew Stanton did an excellent job considering he gets the least # of reps in practice.But I love the ‘Silver Streak’ defense. GO LIONS!

16. By Nathan on Oct 17, 2010 | Reply

As a long time Lions fan, I can see we are getting closer and the wins will come. Stafford will be back and will lead us to wins.

17. By Dave on Oct 17, 2010 | Reply

I”m proud of this team! They are not quitting no matter what the odds! They referenced it in the broadcast that the Giants escaped! It wasn’t what the Giants did it was what the Lions didnt do! There is a fine line between 1-5 and 5-1 this year. Margin of loss was 6 points in four games total. We got what we wanted a competitive team that has a chance to win games. They are there we just have to be positive! Keep a positive attitude and things will start going our way!

18. By Doug Hampton on Oct 17, 2010 | Reply

There is no question that this team has improved but there are just so many stupid and silly penalties.Today was an excellent example of that. Matt Millen has done to the Detroit Lions what George Bush did to the country and it’s not going to improve over night.Schwartz has them on a good path.What’s with this team with injuries of which some in the past have left players crippled for life….perplexing

19. By G. Jones on Oct 17, 2010 | Reply

OMG!!!! Can we PLEASE STOP the LOSING NOW?!?! I’m sick and tired of the canned post-loss speeches about “mistakes” and “we didn’t do all the things it took to win” I think that’s pretty obvious. Just freakin win already> Damn!!!

20. By thachamp31 on Oct 17, 2010 | Reply

the way i see it and let me know if you guys agree please. our dbs are playing much better our d-line is solid as they get we only have one olb (peterson) the other ones are not hitting their gaps and thats causeing big runs and open recievers in the middle . please swartz find some hard hitting reckless linebackers thats all we are missing

21. By thachamp31 on Oct 17, 2010 | Reply

and when the linebackers do hit the gaps they get exposed we NEED LINEBACKERS BAD merriman is going to be out there but we need guys now. and shaun hill great job filling in but im happy stafford will be back

22. By thachamp31 on Oct 17, 2010 | Reply

man i could go on for days but just to let you know im a diehard lions fan keep up the progression but we need wins now. and as for the o-line make some damn running room . and to help best out run plays that fit his speed like some sweeps or something

23. By Chris on Oct 17, 2010 | Reply

Good to hear the tests were negative for Zack. I hope he gets back on his feet and back on the field soon. I love the way you play. Get better soon Zack. Best wishes!

24. By matt on Oct 17, 2010 | Reply

hey dave, thats only a rule if your tom brady…

lions just need to keep the penalties and tempers down, and turnovers.

25. By david on Oct 17, 2010 | Reply

Again, another good effort but to many miscues (bonehead moves) at bad times…We really need a linebacker..had a chance at Malaluga from USC but passed him..Stanton is horrible..had a chance at Chad Henne too..We almost have to play a near perfect game to win..we need more discipline

26. By brokenglass on Oct 17, 2010 | Reply

My prayers are with Zack Follett and Sean Hill for speedy recoveries. I think it is extremely unfortunate that we have lost two quarterbacks due to poor offensive line play. We need to get replacements and fast. Both Raiola and Peterman got beat terribly and it led to Hill breaking his arm. Film doesn’t lie, and the negatives are definately outweighing any positives that this current group of linemen bring to the table. cut a deal with the patriots and get Mankins!!

27. By J.T. on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

you have to be concerned about the mental capacity of some of the players on this team.

28. By Don on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

I hope that Zack Follett Is going to be OK. He did Take a Horriable Hit!
    But I have to say that I think that the Man (Or Boy) that hit him should be fined!
    Zack was not the Only player on our TEAM that wasTaking shot’s from the Giants that were being givin with thier Helmits.
    Well we played a game that we should have played better!
    And I do NOT blame Schwartz for the Fact that our Players Just can’t SEEM to use some self control. You can coach Men and let it be Known that they have to use self control ( And I know that Schwartz has Talked to these guy’s before about that Issue) But you can’t hold thier hands and Makethem use it!
    I usually complain that we are getting bogas calls But, Yesterday Our Players were Making a lot of Bad choices when it came to self control and creating penaltees! I WILL say that, again, a lot of the things (Penaltees) that the Giants committed Were being EASILY Missed as if they werent commiting any?
    But, our players were Commiting to many penaltees in this Game.
    I believe that Schwartz and Mayhew are going to Get this TEAM to be a winning Franchise, This year or next, probably next!
    However, I believe that people blamming Schwartz for the Losses are way off Base. I can explain it again if you would like?
    He has Taken this TEAM and Took it from )0 and 16 to a 1 and 15 and SO far this year. But also a TEAM that is Losing by a Touchdown or a field goal or a TD and a FG in this game.
    And again I believe that this Game Falls AGAIN on the Players ( For sure in this Game) And some of thePlay Calling again.( Linehane)
    When we were Behind and Stanton Threw the TD pass to Calvin Johnson I Thought, SEE, we can WIN this GAME! Open up the Field, Send our WRs down field And having Stanton Feed them the Ball as they ran it into the Endzone.
    NOT! Instead of Giving Calvin and Nate Routes down field where the Ball is being caught on the run in the open Field ( either down the Sideline, Across the Middle) Like Jerry Rice used to do! And that Calvin And Nate should be able to break away and catch the ball on the Run and strait into the endzone!
    But NO! Giants Get the ball and don’t do anything with and we get it Right Back.
    That is when Linehan should have Struck the Giants!
    Sending the Ball to one of these two WRs And letting them take it down field and in for the score Or at the very least Getting the Ball down field where we could have sent it (The Ball) into the Endzone! YAAA! we take the LEAD!
    Again, NOT! Linehan ( or someone) Get’s conservative Again! And Starts Running the Ball for Very short Yardage and dumping Little Short Passes That Take us NOWHERE and ends up us giving the Ball right Back and allowing NY to do what we HAD the oppertunity to do And Did’nt! WIN the GAME!
    I love this TEAM, And I Believe that Schwartz is a VERY GOOD coach With A Very good Football Mind within him.
    However, I believe That he should talk to his OC And explain what Going for the JUGULAR MEANS!
    There was NO REASON to get Conservative at that Point in the Game, when we have the Talent to Make those BIG Plays! And there was NO reason to worry about weather or not Stanton could have made the play happen or not.
    He allready showed you that he could when he threw the first one to Calvin.
    At that Point of the Game is when we should have been trying to Make those Play’s, Because that is when we were not as rushed as much and everone involved would have been more up to the Task at that Point in the Game!
    YOU See, we ended up trying to Make those Same play’s that I am talking about. We ended up trying for those long Passes at the VERY end of the GAME Because that is all we had left to try at that Point!
    Bad Timing by Linehan, because you were going to have to make those same type of throws to our WRs at some point!
    That Time should have been After we scored with Calvin,after the Giants gave the Ball back! That was the Time to try and Make those long pass plays, Not at the very end when the QB is being Rushed and trying Manage the Time and get the plays off and going with no huttle and Rushing and rushing to get it done at the very end, When It should have Allready Happened and at that point THE END we could have been relaxed with a comfortable lead and just running the Ball to burn the Play clock!
    You Ended up thowing the Passes down Field in the end anyway, DO IT when the TIME is RIGHT!
    This TEAM Can WIN! Stop Being Conservative AT the WRONG TIME!
    GO LIONS!

29. By Don on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

I just want to say one more thing to Linehan, You talked a lot about this team being a lot like the TEAM in Minnasota back in the day and that this Team Might be a lot simular with an Explosive Offence.
    I remember How you won a lot of those Games.
    You had Cullpepper throwing the Ball Down field to Randy Moss While Randy was running at allmost full speed down the field, and he would catch it and run it The rest of the way down into the endzone.
    What is the Problem? Why are you Not being explosive with Calvin like you were with Randy? Why SOOOO Conservative?
    I know Calvin can do that very same thing, and I know that the QB’s that we have can throw it to Make those Happen. SO, Why arent You allowing that to happen? I know that we want a Running game, But, when you have the personel to make those play’s and you don’t use them, We lose.
    OPEN UP THE GAME!

30. By Bill Mi on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

Heard Zack was going to be okay on T.V…glad to hear that.I like that guy a real solider…well one more road loss and we set another bad record no one wants. The last ten years have been nothing but setting records that no one wants.I haven’t enjoyed football for years now!!What’s with all the penalties..killing this team…and enough with the shouda coulda wouldaa’s ………win already .this win one; lose 11 is shameful.

31. By AJ on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

GET WELL ZACH. WE NEED YOU BIG DOG. AS FAR AS THE LIONS ARE CONCERNED IM DONE TALKING ABOUT WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE. THEY KNOW IT, WE KNOW IT, TAKE THE BYE WEEK GET HEALTHY AND LETS WIN SOME DAMN FOOTBALL IN DETROIT BABY. GO LIONS.

32. By ap on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

Man we got busted up. Good job by Stanton battling it out. Don’t know why we caught a kick going out of bounds. Here’s hoping Zack’s ok – scary. Get well, too, Shawn.

33. By Rob on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

I have been a Detroit Lions fan for over 40 years, I have been living in south Florida for past 21 years. I watch Lions play every Sunday, And i am sick of thls team losing every Sunday. Every year i get the NFL Sunday ticket. Thinking that we are going to be a good football team, but it is the same thing the lions played bad football. can not run can not catch can not block and the stupid penalties that kills a win! I was always mad at Berry Sander walking away from the game like he did, Until Sunday how i know why he did. Just like him i am giving up on this team too. After watching the Lions lose on Sunday Now i know there is no football gods in Detroit. After wacthing the lions lose every game for the past 10 years it is hard to watch other teams play on sunday. All i can say i hope they win a dam football game be for i die!

34. By Lions Fan on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

Don, quit taking up so much room on these blogs with your long meaningless comments. Quit blaming bad calls and David still talking about the Bears game for a losing season. C’mon man. A good team will overcome these obstacles.

35. By Michael M Daugherty on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

If we contenue to improve we will win some games! We need to find that extra effort to put us over the top in these close games! We are playing well and getting ourselves in the position to win games! We just need to put it together on both sides of the ball and special teams!We need to play ERROR-FREE FOOTBALL!! :-)

36. By Carol on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

I LOVE THE LIONS NO MATTER WHAT!! GOOD, BAD OR INDIFFERENT!!WIN, LOSE OR DRAW!! ENOUGH SAID!!

37. By J. Wells on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

Glad to hear your doing okay Zack.
    You need to take a little better care of that mellon of yours!
    It’s really exciting watching you grow with the Lions. Keep up the greatwork!!

Best Wishes

38. By RH on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

As a fan of another team who was just checking this site to see how the injured player is doing, I’d like to comment on the lions fans that are posting. I’m impressed that there’s not a lot of whineing going on. Good comments inteligent, I think the franchise has a future just by the way the fans act. You go Lions

39. By Johnny Sanderlin on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

Way to go Lions!!! This team is doing nothing but improving game by game!! C’mon no, picture that giants game a couple of years back. The mentality of the team today is more focused then they have ever been. Work on the penalties guys!!! Develop another figure to run the sidelines with Calvin Johnson and the points will rain like hell!! Keep up the good work and lets take it to McNabb and the Redskins! GO LIONS!!!!

40. By David Gomes on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

It’s easy for us fans to say win some football, but thats not gonna win us games. Someone talked about Linehan not opening up the playbook and I agree with that. He seems to open up the playbook when its too late. And since our line seems like they can’t get it done up the gut then get some screen passes or some pitches/sweeps going, but make sure there is enough help for example. We tend to run plays the way they are designed to be run, well news flash, some of our players can’t get that done and if they are the best players we have for their position then compensate. You watch the film, if a team is already good at getting penetration then add more help to the screen passes or pitches/sweeps. Best is too darn good to not be utilized on a weekly basis. And why haven’t we been using a two back systems on plays, Best & Smith? They are both good backs, maybe you could confuse defenses if you did that more. Other than that just stop making penaties cause you kill yourselves more than anything that way and we do need a linebacker and we do need some help in the secondary so if you want to win get the extra help the team needs, our offense would be great if they just didn’t make mistakes

41. By Jim on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

Hey all, I’m a Giants fan checking into your website to see how Zack is doing. Great to hear he’s got feeling back. As a really quick comment, I don’t think our rookie Pierre-Paul made a bad hit, I just think it was one of those hard head-snapping hits that the spinal cord doesn’t like (I remember 1992…NY Jets Byrd coolides with Mercereau and gets paralyzed). Not fun. Watching halftime of the NBC Sunday night game saw way too many helmet-to-helmet hits. Sounds like NFL is going to start suspending players. Good call. As far as your Lions go…we’ve all been there in losing seasons, nothing seems to go your way. I like the Lions, always have, and it’s gotta suck. From my side of the TV here’s what I see. Your coach sat there screaming at the refs for bad calls, but dude…something like 9 or 10 penalties?? All at the absolute worst possible time, and some (not all), completely unneccessary and due to a lack of discipline all around. It’s time for the coach to look inside the locker room and start to hold players accountable. On paper, I shouldn’t have been nervous yesterday as a Giants fan. I was when I was watching, which says the G-men were playing badly (not really), or the Lions were looking pretty good. I thought they put together a bunch of great drives, Stafford looked fine, no nerves. One or 2 more offensive threats and it goes the other way. Your guys simply have to buckle down and man up. Good luck next week, I need the help in the NFC East!!

42. By Jim on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

Sorry… I meant Stanton looked good replacing Hill.

43. By dez on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

Get well Zakarian. . . . PLEASE !. Cast thy burden upon the Lord he shall sustain thee. He shall NEVER suffer the righteous to be moved.

44. By dez on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

Are we soft ?.. . . . .

45. By Casey on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

The team looks a lot better this season. If we can keep stafford healthy from this point on we’ll end with a few more wins. 1 more draft from the current staff and we’ll be real contenders. That is if there is a season next year of course.

46. By dean on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

its time to look at who is getting same penalties every week and sit them down a week if they cant learn the rules its hard to win a game if you give up 100 yards every week in penalties mayb if the players doing it have to sit out or not get paid for a week they will learn or the team should fine each player for the stupid penalties something has to change

47. By Angel on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

I see the potential in this team as do all the rest of the fans. We just need to see you tap into it and quit killing yourself with penalties. Just take what has happened in the previous games this season and learn from them and it will be a series of wins before we know it!

48. By James Reulbach on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

I was wondering how you coach a team to not take dumb penalties, if someone can tell us great, otherwuse leave Coach Schwartz alone, Ithink hes doing a good job. The one thing we lack is better offensive line play in order to allow better running plays and deeper pass plays. Looking forward to Staffords return, but the line needs to play better to keep him healthy and able to make plays. GO LIONS!

49. By bronx13 on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

Great Job Shawn Hill! Hope your feeling better Zack, stafford coming back? hope they install a force field around him,the kid can’t take a hit!! stanton can make plays let him play! HEll I’m use to seeing stafford on the sidelines he’ cute! this is getting spooky! bradford’ ten times better than stafford! Kids got 3 wins already, and the lions knock him around when he two teams played, if stafford would have taken th hits bradford took that day he would have been out of the nfl career ended! I hope on wrong, but this kid is looking like a bust, I know he can throw it and has all the right answers but he can’t take the heat, he may be to soft for the NFL! hope I wrong but look at bradford and than look at (the great hype) softford!

50. By Gary on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

SHAWN MERRIMAN!!!!

51. By hoveround on Oct 20, 2010 | Reply

we are sooooooo close I’m watching every game and follow everything lions! Hang in there! we are gonna be winning soon! i can smell it! and so can every1 else!

52. By George in Columbus on Oct 20, 2010 | Reply

This season has been the most encouraging since the days of Barry…Come on, we are all seeing really good things, that we haven’t seen in years. Jim Swartz and his crew of assistants are doing a great job with the young talent we now have. I can see these guys are hungry for victory, and will find a way to accomplish that goal. It takes time to jell into a winning team in contetion for a championship. I made a pack with the almighty, that I could see the Lions win just one super bowl before I die….I hope I don’t live forever!!