Johnson: “We see where we killed ourselves”

Posted by Tara Altman on October 18, 2010 – 1:59 pm

“Physically, I don’t feel any worse than I did going into the game, so I can take something positive out of that. As far as the game goes, it’s the same old story – it’s become a cliché now – but with penalties we just keep shooting ourselves in the foot. I think there were two times yesterday where we got a first down inside the red zone and then got a penalty. We have a pretty high scoring percentage when we get in the red zone, so that really hurt us, that takes points off the board. We look at these games and they’re so close, we see where we killed ourselves.

“A lot of those penalties are so unnecessary, you get a personal foul and things like that, you just can’t have those. That’s not smart football and you’re hurting your team. It takes W’s off the board, it takes points off the board and when you come in here on Monday, Monday’s are no fun when you lose.

“It’s tough in the locker room after those games, the close ones, those are the ones where you feel like you’ve invested a lot in the game and just to come up so short, guys are just really beat up. You’re down after the game, but you have to have a 24-hour mentality and try to move on to next week. We have the Bye, so we just have to focus on getting our bodies back right now.

“Personally, I want to go back this week and watch all of the film from all of our games and evaluate myself. I feel like I’m my hardest critic, so I’m going to go back and look at all of the film and see what I could have done better and at the same time, take care of my body, stay in treatment and get ready when we come back and play the Redskins.

“I hope everyone takes a look at the film, not just this game, but prior games and kind of do the same thing that I’m doing. Like I said, this is a good time for self-evaluation. I don’t want to say that we’re pressing right now, but you definitely want to get more W’s, you don’t want to be sitting at 1-5 right now.

“I think this is a good week to have the Bye. In the past we’ve had it at Week 4, and you’re not even ready for a Bye Week at Week 4 because you’re just getting into the season. Having it at Week 6 and then come back for a couple of games and get a mini-bye after Thanksgiving, that will be big for us.”

Posted in Calvin Johnson Blog | 48 Comments »

48 Responses to “Johnson: “We see where we killed ourselves””

1. By david pardo on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

We are so close. Just have to stay mentally tough. Bring in some officials for practice to try to eliminate penalties. Matt will be back. Just get healthy and give the “skins” hell!!

2. By pl on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

cheer up guys!
    I still belive in You, even after ‘the perfect’ season! I watch every game so excited that I`m a Lions Fan :) Just eliminate that silly penalties and all will be grow up! :)
    Greetings from Poland!

3. By detroit lions all the way on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

next couple of weeks coach’s should just work on things that would keep us out of the eye of the refs. we can beat any team in the nfl by large margins we cant because we always taking ourselves out of the game.

4. By Andrea Molinari on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

A lot of the penalty thing is learning to adjust your thinking: What is best for the whole team? Yes, I want to punch McKenzie. He has been holding all day and getting away with it. He is chubby and slow and I could beat him all day. He is a cheater. That is the only way he can play with me. So, should I punch him? No. It is not best for the team. The ball is kicked off and I want to make a difference and return this ball. But the ball is headed out of bounds. If I let it go, we get it at the 40 yard line. If I catch it, people will see me make a play (maybe). What is best for the team? Let it go out of bounds.

Team first. The many, not the one.

5. By mike legue on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

As a fan, I can see a ton of improvement in the Lions. While they are not yet presenting a winning product, I think it is important for fans and players alike to remember that we started over just a few short years ago with what was basically the equivalent of a really good high school football team. I truly believe that Martin Mayhew and Jim Scwartz are doing an excellent job of turning the franchise around, and we are probably just one or two more offseasons away from being the most dominant team in the NFC North. Keep the faith, Calvin, and keep up the hard work! Your reward is coming. Just have patience and persistance.

6. By blair doty on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

penalties oww….injuries oww but what can you do? offensively i believe we need to work on some of the basics…tackling…blocking…winning at the line of scrimmage…we have jahvid who is awesome but often rendered useless cause we cant get him to the next level…beyond the line…cant we run him behind felton more efficiently? injuries to quarterbacks are killing us…more o-line issues there…i think stafford has potential to be simalar to elway but if he spends too much more time injured……ugh….so stop the penalties fix the o-line and we are a winning team…ive been a dedicated lions fan and have been pulling the bandwagon for 30 years…proudly through adversity..and still will….i believe in schwartz and what has been done is great….thank you…just like a coach says “finish the tackle”…lets finish this ….
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOO LIONS!!!!!!!

7. By David Barnes jr on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

I am getting tired of seeing Lions get silly penalties. Makes me wonder where can we find smart offense linemen and Defense must act like knowledge of football rules how to playing good way without getting penatly? We must be playing wise choice to avoid getting penalty and keeping ball going to Red Zone for touchdown than makes fooling themselve. Lions Defense needs aggressiive against the oppose team. Lions needs to find the puzzle to getting together to become Impact playing against the offense on 1.2,3 and out instead of allowing them get their first down.

8. By terry putman on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

I don’t even know what to say any more? I have a 4 yr. Old son and 1 year old son and I’m not sure I can put them through what I’ve been goen through for the last 15 yrs. I could never root for another team but maby its time to let Mom have the boys on sunday…..

9. By bob camp on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

The Lions are trying very hard and you can really see improvements over the last couple of years with the improved players. These senseless penalties and stupid mistakes though, are the real problems the team has. Every team has injuries and have to deal with them, but discipline is the key. Not only discipline from most of the team, but discipline from each and every player. Once they start playing like a unit, and start going 10 yards forward instead of 15 yards back, the wins will start coming. We are not that far away.

10. By Michael on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

I no longer live in Michigan but follow the Lions becasue they have always been my team..I remember watching the Lions at the old tiger stadium..I remember my first games watching the Lions back in 1960…Since that time I have always been disappointed by the end of the year with the Lions and what they should of done to win more ball games..It seems to me over all these years that we are so use to loosing that we eventually do something to eventually end up loosing..The game against Green Bay the first two plays of the game were penalties on the Lions..One was a personal foul and the other was off side..We are giving ball games away like it has already been predisposed that we are the ones who will loose this and the team plays that way I think without even thinking about it…I do believe there were almost a dozen penalties by the half…You can not have that many penalties and still expect to win no matter how talented your offense and defense are..That is just undisciplined behavior which I think goes back to it is expected of us to loose and sometimes subconciously the players think they are more likely to loose than win therefore the uncharacteristic and undisciplined play…My question is this a reflection on the coaching staff for not having the players disciplined and ready to play smart football…I know other coaches that would absolutely not accept that from their players all the time…Bill Cower, Bill Parcells, Tom Landry, Chuck Knoll, Mr Belechick from the Patriots would not accept the undiscipline play the Lions seem to exude each and every Sunday..Some how some way we just find a way to loose…As a fan aspect this is very, very disappointing to say the least..With a smart play here and a play there we should be heading into the bye week at 5-1 good enough for first place and a time to heal and enjoy the fruits of sucess instead we limp in at 1-5 in last place..It also is very frustrating to hear the coach every week say we just need to get over the hump and that he is very proud of his players…That hump has been there for over 40 years and beyond that even…How can we be proud of a 1-5 record or is it just a fact that is all we will ever have is the fact we played tough and never gave up but in the end we will still have another loss in the column…There are 10 games left we would have to go 7-3 just to have a 500 record..We would have to go on a win streak of probably 9 out of 10 to even have a shot at the playoffs…When will be able to believe in the Lions again as this year looks like more and more it is going to be another disappointing year..

11. By Jay Clark on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

or man on the ground, let me dive into him while the whole world watches and hit him with my forearm to the head.

12. By Al Montes on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

As long as we as a team can fully realize that we can beat any team out there then there will be no stopping us. All we have to do is avoid the stupid penalties and mistakes, stay stoic, and stop showboating till the end of the game. Then those “close” games will be W’s instead of losses.

We are in every single game and if we just just play error free ball we will be on top!

Coach Schwartz and staff have turned this team around to become a force to be reckoned with. We play with a lot more heart out than I have seen in a long time.
    Let every team know that when they play the Lion’s they better not only bring their A-game but better play with HEART!

13. By David Gomes on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

Calvin I hope everyone on the team uses this time to do what you are doing, evaluate yourself. That’s the only way everyone will come together and play better ball. I heard Nate Burleson say he was and you said you were, but what about the rest of the team? You are a team Captain, you need to pull the whole team together and tell them how you feel face to face. Like Blair Doty said we need to fix the run, screen passes are like runs so if our line is too small or just not getting it done then find another way to utilize Best. We all saw when we found out how to utilize him he had over 200 total yards of offense in one game. And like ANrea Molinari said, why would you even try to catch that ball when its kicked that close to the sideline???? WHY??? mental mistakes, both of the players that ran for that need to correct mistakes like that. Everyone is tired of hearing the Lions are so close but probably none more than you guys yourselves, you go out there everyweek and play your hearts out and guys that can’t hold on to the ball or cause penalties just make it that much harder to win. Calvin do what you can to not just make yourself better during this bye but as a captain do what you can to help the whole team, special teams, defense. Try to get guys in groups, like you get all the receivers together and watch tape and talk about it together, probably even the QB’s too, and so on. I know you guys want to win and you are still pressed for time but I feel you guys can still make a run for the postseason, and you will have a lot of work to get there but I really feel you can do it….

14. By david on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

The last two years it has been lack of talent and discipline..now its lack of discipline..every one should do what CJ said and ask of himself “what can I do better” stupid penalites kill drives which kills games..Its all mental at this point

15. By Scott on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

TACKLING TACKLING TACKLING. Every single week I see the same things I’ve seen for that last 3-4 decades. A LACK OF BASIC SKILLS WHICH IS WHY THE LIONS ARE ALWAYS ON THE LOSING END OF ALL OF THE GAMES. Ever see and NFL film about a team where they highlight a player? Well take a closer look and you will generally see a Lions player(s) missing tackles left and right.. Anyone of these coaches ever teach you guys to tackle @ the waistline?? lol
    Offensive coach is offensive.You have the number 1 WR in the BIz and you can’t find him on the field? Single Double or triple coverage, throw It anyways because he’ll get it! @ least try to win by being aggressive!!!!!

16. By Jordan on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

stop the penalties=wins

17. By Drew on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

This isn’t high school football anymore. You guys know how to play football, and to play it right. Getting these stupid penalties, really kills us fan, but im sure it kills u guys even more. So lets STOP all of this talk about how we have improved and put it on the field! So rest up, and enjoy the bye week and i hope to god i see some improvement vs Washington. GO LIONS PLZ!!

18. By D.K. on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

The Lions could (and should) be sitting on 4 wins instead of 1. They are playing much better and the team is playing as a “team” not every man for himself. A healthy Stafford and stop the mental mistakes (penalties) and we would be talking playoffs…….not wait til next year! GO LIONS!

19. By Stillion on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

I agree with Calvin. Each member needs to really evaluate themselves through tape. They are so close but yet so far away from winning. I was really dissapointed when Shaun Hill got hurt. No matter how incidental, it involved the line not being able to hold the rush. Defense looked better but silll ailing when it comes to pass rush. Love Zack and hope he recovers well.

20. By Stillion on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

correction on my comment, defense is still weak defending against the passing game.

21. By Sportsfancave.com on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

Should come out ready to win after the bye week.

22. By zedrick on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

Calvin I and Im pretty sure the rest of the fans agree with.Get the rest of the locker room on the same page,yeah the may already knowbut remind them.We’re better then every team in the division I believe.so just re-build during the bye week and come swangging at home against the skin’s

23. By zedrick on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

I love the Lions and I will continue to love them through thick or thin!

24. By Big Ern on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

Our offensive line is one player from being really solid. Peterman has to step it up or ride the pine. Also, why cant our #2 and #3 recievers and Pettigrew hang on to the ball? Is it lack of talent or interest? I love the effort the D is giving, this is the first year I’ve seen the “never give up attitude.” Lets get Stafford back, linebackers healthy, and win some games. Restore the Roar!!!

25. By domenico on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

Regardless of penalties or turnovers the LIONS had a chance to tie the game at the end. Why don’t they throw it up to Calvin in these moments… just like the Green Bay game, we go 4 and out… where any balls thrown to Calvin. How can this guy be silenced, he will speak out and when he does sorry Lions fans, he’s going to another team.

26. By 4DLIONS on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

I wonder if THEY BELIEVE they can win? Do THEY BELIEVE they can beat anybody? We the fans KNOW they can. So just do it guys!

27. By Jizzle on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

in my eyes the only team the Lions will have a tough time against is the Pats but other than that we are going to watch the Lions play a lot better season than we are used to. hopefully there is no lockout because after this upcoming offseason the Lions will be contenders in the NFL. hopefully get a veteran RB and LB, along with a LT, CB and SS in the draft and there are few holes on the team.

28. By Jeff Williamson on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

Calvin, you’re a class act, and an unbelievable athlete. I did the math on you once – turns out with your wingspan and vertical leap… etc, a QB can throw the ball nearly 13 feet high to you. That’s ridiculous. The best two corners in the league couldn’t stop that if they had you in double coverage. PLEASE don’t leave the Lions – ever. We’re getting better and it’s obvious, but we can’t lose the best player in the league.

29. By wendymaddy on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

I am looking forward to the rest of the Lions’ season. They beat themselves against the Giants, whom they could take had they not had so many self inflicted penalties. Raring to go, that’s a great quality, and I love it, but make sure you are penalty free for the sake of the team’s bottom line. No taking swings at the opposition. Hold your temper and put that energy into making great plays. Keep your energy always positive, teamwork, and let your magnificence as players shine forth. Everybody knows how talented and capable you are. Just let it happen naturally and free of any angst. You’re a great team this year with a great coach, and you’ll be mopping the floor with the opposition the rest of the season. Never psyche yourself out vs a strong opponent. The Giants were winnable, and you woulda won if penalty free. So go out there and DO it! My best to Shaun Hill, who has had a fantastic season, and kudos also to Drew Stanton, who came through with a touchdown after Hill had to leave the game. Stanton, you’re the goods too, and just keep up the excellent work, okay? We need WINS from you, so keep that top dog mentality that let you make your TD play. You RULE the football field. Okay? Okay! Teamwork is what makes this team a standout, and you are individually so excellent! So go get’em, and make everybody know they played a WINNING SUPERBOWL TEAM each week until it becomes your reality!

30. By Gator on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

True the teams playing very hard for the coaching staff. But until they quit commiting stupid penalties they will continue to struggle and lose. The offensive line play is really inconsistent and until they can run the football teams are going to stack the line and kill our quarterbacks!!!. Why we ever resigned Jell Sackus to a 5 yr. deal I will never know. Major needs for next year, a road grader offensive guard to open some holes, a tackle to protect Matthews blind side, a cover cornerback of any sort, and most of all please draft that stud linebacker Greg Jones from MSU who’s a tackling machine!!!
    Thats all folks.

31. By Anthony Cassini on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

What’s going with the penalties is what goes on with every developing team that;s trying to play tough football, they’re getting carried away. Add frustration of being 1-5 when we should be even (5-1 is a strech) and you sart to see what’s going on. Not to mention we’re working with Sean Hill, his first year in the system insted of Stafford who has the confidence of his team. In essence, when Stafford comes back, I think you’ll see fewer offensive penalties. As the season wears on, I think you’ll see a lot fewer panalties as well as the team starts to build on their chemistry and these young players get smarter. Remember, this is a young team as well. I mean, your old men are Backus, KVB, and Jason Hanson. By the way, Great special teams play last week, Hanson 2-2 both 50 yds, Logan 50+ yard return. Special teams will win us at least a couple this year.

32. By rik emmit on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

Who’s the chump that had a unsportsman like conduct called on him when the Giants were on the Lions 3 yard line and the lions stopped them on 3rd down, and then gave the giants a 1st down because of his stupid mental mistake! This the crap the lions get called on them all the time, this smuck should be released out of pure stupidity or fined and made to do 1000 100 yard sprints and appologize to the team and the fans on TV and at the game for his &**^&^* decision to act like a tough guy.

33. By rik emmit on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

The coaches need to get tough, they need to start fining these players that commit these stupid penalties, make it hurt, and make them do more sprints, and pay the price for their child like play, these mistakes should not be tolerated!!!!!!!!!!!!1

34. By detriot on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

i hear alot of negitive comments on all these blogs. any one whom is educated in the game of football can see the difference in the talent level and what schwartz and the entire staff are doing. this team is going places. i know it has been a long time since weve had a winning season. i will say i believe that these guys understand and the coach is telling them that these foolish mistakes have to end.. each game these guys are in it. they will be 500 by the end of the season. listen guys rome was not built in a day. and as far down as millen took this organization we need time to rebuild. bill ford is and has put the right pieces together. from management to coaches everything is there. even with 3 rd string mike line backers we are competive.. its ok to be upset but all these guys need our support not negativety.

35. By jalen brightwell on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

we will be ok go lions.

36. By charles heneghar on Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

this team has come a long way and i love where its heading..but i also hate seeing loses pile up and it will continue as long people cant tackle and cover ..( jonathan wade sucks ) ( cc brown) sucks..if theyre not gonna play at least respectfuly one time this season put someone in there that will at least attempt to not look bad

37. By Tim Owens on Oct 20, 2010 | Reply

Mr. Johnson,
    As a lions fan of 35 years I just want to tell you that I am proud to see the way this team is playing. I see no quit in this team and I am extremely confident in the fact that you will turn this organiztion around. Everyone wants to see wins, however, it is not always possible. I believe in the character of this team and if you keep holding yourselves accountable than you will come out on top. Hold your heads high and continue with what you are all doing as a team.

GO LIONS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

38. By Ron Sweet on Oct 20, 2010 | Reply

Been a Lions fan since I was 8 years old (1968), and I’m more excited about this team than any before it, even the 91 team.
    Penalties (and a couple bad calls or non-calls) are the only thing thats stopping this team from representing the NFC in the Super Bowl.
    I still don’t think its too late, and no, I’m not on the Kool-Aide. Thats just how I look at dominant teams.
    I’m proud of you guys. Tighten it up, just a tad.

39. By Jack in Port Huron on Oct 20, 2010 | Reply

What stupid penalties at such important times. I am 50 years old and have not missed a game since I was 12 years old. If we can just be and play smart football the wins will come. We are the best 1-5 football team in the history of the NFL. Here’s an idea. I think that all of the players should take up a kitty and every time someone commits a stupid penalty, they have to donate a certain amount to the kitty and give it to a charity at the end of the season. That way at least someone can benefit from the pain that these stupid penalties are costing us. The pain that you guys keep giving to us can at least transfer to making someone else feel better in the end. Thanks for your time and come on guys get it together. This season is still very salvageable and maybe with the parody the playoffs are even possible.

40. By Rocky Bass on Oct 20, 2010 | Reply

No Acceptable Excuse’s, NONE!
    This team Spanked the Rams hands down, no questions asked. So the difference? Penalties, poor attention to detail.
    Details
    Details
    Details
    It’s all about details.
    If the team does it correctly we can go deep into the play-offs, keep on this way & we got worse then nothing.
    Details
    Details
    Details.

Correct it, correct it now.
    NO Excuse’s

Get it right & we can beat any team in the league. You can’t restore the roar if you suffer brain farts.

41. By macman on Oct 20, 2010 | Reply

the offense needs to be able to run the ball on a consistant base’s!!! plan and simple which in turn would open up some more opportunities for calvin and nate, along with the stupid penalties with basically stop drives for themselves and keeping alive drives the the opposing team!!!! i honestly believe the lions would be undefeated they had it corrected from day 1!!!

42. By Dan on Oct 21, 2010 | Reply

Calvin – I hope you actually read this?

I am predicting more wins from here on out. You guys have learned from your mistakes and, I just feel it – YOU”RE GOING TO WIN!

This team can play with anybody in the league. NO MORE MISTAKES! let’s get respectable!

GO LIONS!!!

43. By LYDELL (Detroit) on Oct 21, 2010 | Reply

HI! Calvin-AKA-Megatron)
    may God continue to bless you & the rest of the team!

The bolg that you posted was very interesting, the call for self-evaluation is exactly on course.Now
    is the time for self improvement in other words’. Meaning,the team as a whole is ‘jellin’on most points
    eventually though maxing out,and individual stand-out effort starts to play a more significant role to achieve success;on a continual basis.Therefore, the tempo/line must be drawn in the sand, as to ‘what am I willing to go for in a game? See, there are just some things that we should just simply as a matter of ‘priciple’not allow to happen; on our part particularly! Moreover, after the ‘bye’ the team should be fairly healed,both physically/emotionally and the ‘Redskins’ defenantly should be able to see our ‘FRANTIC DESPERATISM’FOR A WIN! Going into the ‘Redskins’ game is the perceived ‘begining’ of our play-off run! Everone must be moving in the same’SPIRIT’,MIND-SET,AND DETERMINATION’ to make it happen and not ‘SETTLE’. I will end by reminding us all that this is a game of ‘TAKERS’and ‘TAKERS’ when the opportunity presents its’ self become ‘ravening’ OPPORTUNIST! It reminds me of what the ‘ex-Pres’ said prior to the Iraq invasion; ‘it will be SHOCK AND AWE’! And that not only for the oppisition but also for Lions’ fans! One comercial says,’yeah you have shown me something, but now you really have to show us ‘SOMETHIN’.

44. By danny on Oct 21, 2010 | Reply

Penalties are often a sign of over-pressing, which is understandable giving our start to the season. Even in the Rams game I think we had 10 penalties, but we outplayed them so much so, that they didnt factor in the result. Theres alot of work to be done this bye-week and Im anxious to see some results on halloween. I think Schwartz has been an excellent leader thus far, but now is the time to nip this in the butt; I dont care if he has to do something drastic such as benching someone, or even fining them. Its usually the same guys every week: Corey Williams, Stephen Peterman, Wade etc. While this is a huge problem, especially when it comes to close games, a quick resolution is possible with the right emphasis.

45. By discodan on Oct 23, 2010 | Reply

I have yet to see the Lions play as a team, a winning team. Maybe its all the Losses they have piled up, or the fact that they are too soft, (real men play football)………………But winners act a certain way, and the Lions act another…
    Winning seems to be an unreachable goal for this team, when players take it upon themselves to create penalties at the worst time… No respect for the coaches, owners or other players….Penalize your team is their claim to fame……The selfish bastards!
    Fans come to a game to root you on and you give them little….to cheer.
    I wish the economy hit your jobs as hard as it hit others…….who pay for tickets, to see a sad, pathetic, team with NO self esteem…

46. By DETRIOT on Oct 24, 2010 | Reply

HEY DISCODAN HAVE YOU BEEN WATCHING THE LIONS PLAY THIS YEAR. THEY HAVE BEEN PLAYING MORE LIKE A TEAM THIS YEAR THAN SINCE THE PLAY OFFS IN 91. THINGS CAN NOT TURN AROUND THAT FAST IT TAKES SOMETIMES YEARS. THIS TEAM IS HEADED IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. EVERYONE IS FRUSTRATED WITH THIS TEAM AND UPPER BRASS. BUT THINGS ARE TURNING AROUND.WE WILL BE AT 500 BY THE END OF THE SEASON. I CANT STAND BOO BIRDS… SUPPORT YOUR TEAM AND BE A REAL FAN.. DETRIOT FROM OCALA FLA…

47. By detroitnative on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

I was born a Lions fan and will die one. I’ve been waiting 40 yrs for us to contend and we are getting close. Go Lions!!! We love you

48. By Detroit Lions #1 on May 30, 2012 | Reply

I can’t wait for this season!!! Super Bowl here we come! GO LIONS!!!