Johnson: “It definitely helps to take a break”

Posted by Tara Altman on October 27, 2010 – 3:06 pm

“The bye week was great. I got to see the family and it’s always good, and important, to get some time away from work to clear your mind. Now is a well-timed break because usually our bye week comes early in the season, so it was kind of cool to have it during Week 7. Overall it was good.

“It definitely helps to take a break. The only way you’re going to get healthy, especially in this sport, is by taking time off. You can’t really keep practicing and expect to get yourself healthy or back to as close to 100-percent as you can, which you’re not going to get there during the season, but you always need time off in order to get your body back to where it needs to be to play.

“It’s nice to have Matt (Stafford) back on the field. Last week at practice we got him back in stride, so we didn’t miss a beat this week. He knows as the starting quarterback of the team that you’re just automatically dumped into the role of being a leader, and whether you like it or not, you’re going to have to step up and be accountable and hold that role down. He’s done a good job of that.

“There hasn’t been any drop-off in the mood of the team. Guys are still flying around and we know we’re a good team, we just have to cut down on the mistakes and I think everybody is aware of that and one thing that we’re really focusing on this week is cutting back on the mental mistakes.

“We have six of the last 10 games at home, so that’s a big advantage for us. One of the biggest things that we have to do is take care of our home field and if we can do that, we can get ourselves right back into the NFC North.

“Looking towards Washington, they have a lot of talented guys in their secondary. They have nothing but first-rounders back there, or just about, I think. I’ve played these guys every year since I’ve been in the league, so we have a little familiarity with them. Obviously they have some with us too, but I think that, I don’t want to say there’s any comfort zone, but we know who we’re going against. We feel that if we can just execute and cut down on the penalties, the metal mistakes and move the ball up and down the field, the defense will do their job and we’ll be alright.

“I’ve always liked (Donovan) McNabb, even when he was with the Eagles. He seems like he brings a lot of energy to the huddle and to his teammates. I like those kinds of guys. He’s always been a leader, that’s just him. Obviously they’re not where they want to be on offense right now, but they definitely have the potential to be a good offense. At the same time, I hope they stay where they’re at this week.”

Posted in Calvin Johnson Blog | 25 Comments »

25 Responses to “Johnson: “It definitely helps to take a break””

1. By david pardo on Oct 27, 2010 | Reply

Gettin healthy, mentally stronger. Time to pull it all together. Couple games at home = couple wins! Get that home cookin goin and take that confidence on the road and start marchin to the top in the nfc north! GO LIONS!!!!!

2. By Sam UK Lion on Oct 27, 2010 | Reply

Love you CJ. Watching you Sundays is a privilege

3. By M.Walker on Oct 27, 2010 | Reply

It’s now or wait until nent year!

4. By John Williams on Oct 27, 2010 | Reply

For the 1st time in a long time i actually believe these guys can go on win streak!Get some revenge on some of these teams!Go Lions!!

5. By AJ on Oct 27, 2010 | Reply

11-5 LETS GO LIONS. ” YOUR THE BEST, AROUND, AND NOTHINS EVER GONNA KEEP YA DOWN.” LOL.

6. By Daniel on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

Ha play calling is still bad. They don’t know how to mix is up to stretch the field. Can’t call run and dumps all day , then at the end of the game they finally throw it down field but guess what there on to it cause where down on the points. LEARN HOW TO CALL AND MIX UP THE PLAY BOOK OR GTFO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. By Jonathan G. on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

If the lions can stay healthy i think we have a shot at the nfc north. Stafford comming back and Calvin getting to 100% is key,both players are pro bowl worthy they just have to get on the field together. I believe if we were totally healthy we would be 4-2 not 1-5 and taking the leauge by storm.. Mark my words the lions will be a playoff team real soon.. and keep it up SUH your a beast…..

8. By Michael Riley on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

Amen Calvin!

The Lions Have lost close games this year, and with the exception of the Minnesota game, have played tough, very tough. The problem I see here is, this team NEEDS more discipline, stop shooting yourselves in the foot, and play 4 full quarters, and close out these games. TGhe team has developed swagger, and there is no doubt about that, but now it’s time for the Lions to also adopt a winning atitude! Winners want the ball, winners find ways of winning, no matter what, I KNEW THIS TEAM WAS going to go through growing pains, with so many new players, I understood that, however, it’s time to shed that mentality, and become winners. Calvin you talked about leadership, albeit it’s true Matthew is the leader of the team. It’s also time for players like Vandenbosch, Delmas, and other veterans, including YOURSELF to step up. That is what makes a winner, SHARED RESPONSIBILITY. Look at the 90 Lions, everyone contributed, and noone on that team accepted losing, they refused to QUIT, they refused to LOSE (ala Detroits 4th quarter comeback against Minnesota) I as so many other fans here in Detroit, (and those who root for the Lions from afar) have heard the talk, time after time, no more excuses, it’s time to do the walk! This was once a proud franchise with several championships, special games, special moments, and special players. What this franchise was recently is a slap in the face, not only to the fans to root you on, but to all players past that donned the Honolulu blue and silver. This team NOW has the pontential to become something very special indeed, but you have to find it within yourselves, I would settle for respectability this season, get a taste of winning and build some momentum, show the rest of the league we are no longer the door mats of this league, then next year become a playoff caliber team. There’s no excuse for this team NOT to make the playoffs and run deep into them, NONE. We have the right coach, high caliber players, it’s a matter of putting it all together. So in all due respect to you Calvin, and the rest of your teammates, Let me pose a question to you now; Do you want the ball? Will players of this team FINALLY stand up, and find a way to win? Or, are we going to have to watch another humbling, humilliating loss and listen to the same old excuses next week? I sincerely hope you get this, and you read this, and take note.

9. By Brian Banks on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

Getting Matt (stafford) back is key but in order to take to the next level the linebackers have to pay attention to detail, play action has been killing us since the eagle game. The secondary i like the progress the’ve made it aint were we would like it to be six games in but we have some talent back there. We have a top 5 D line no question They have to keep generating pressure to create holes for the line backers to get to the ball carrier. Calvin is the best reciever in the league nate is a great # 2 now stay healthy. But i think the key is the O line who makes the most mistakes and Jahvid Best you can not win with a wack running game and half bad O line that department has to be very good to make playoffs win a division and set up the deep ball and also keep Matt upright. Coach I like the swagg you got the players running around with they believe in the heart now makem believe mistakes are a thing of the past thats why they are mistakes so you an correct them in the future, well the future is now so lets get it!!!!!!!

10. By Brandon on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

Calvin,
    You have been my favorite player since you entered the league and I FINALLY got you on my fantasy team. Had to give up MJD and Roethlisberger to get you. Also picked up Matt as my backup QB so I would love nothing more than to see that Stafford-Johnson combo become the best in the league!!! My roommate here at college has been giving me loads of crap for being a Lions fan so please please please SHUT HIM UP!!! Go win some more games 44-6 so not only my roommate, but all the haters have nothing to talk about. Can’t wait for the rest of this season. GO LIONS!!!!

11. By dave on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

To Mike Riley,

I sure hope you are into coaching on some level because when I read your article, it fired me up. Calvin and the rest of the team really need to listen to you. I have watched every game this season ( and all the others since 1970, when I was 4 yrs. old). But this year I have seen a team that is coming together with some strong talent…now all you need is some team continuity, comradery, trust in each other and yourselves…this will build confidence and with that this could be the first super bowl team the lions have had, and the first championship since 1957. I will be watching the rest of the season and rooting for you til the end…pull it together..

12. By Jordan on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

alright men we are a little healthier we have watched film we know why we didn’t beat the giants penalties! avril keep you’re composure calvin they should try a screen to you once in a while everybody knows about the deep threat,look whatever gameplan you guys had against the rams stick with that make teams one demensional everybody contributes i’m glad staffords back keep him upright this means you backus! i love the lions get fired up and dominate this weekend!

13. By Jared on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

I am stoked about 6 out of 10 games are at home, but I don’t think we are gonna go 11-5 like AJ said. We should definitely be a 6-10 team. Calvin, Suh, Best, Stafford, Burleson, etc.. are elite players, but everyone needs to remember DA man, Louis Delmas! Go Lions!

14. By Mike on Oct 28, 2010 | Reply

Calling right her and now. Lions will be in control of the game and have their way with the Redskins….until, Orakp beats Backus on the backside and hits Stafford. Well at least the first drive or two will be interesting.

15. By Ed on Oct 29, 2010 | Reply

Calvin,

This game is your season. This is the type of team that you should beat if we are going to beleive the improvement talk. A middle of the pack team. You guys have the talent to do it. I don’t expect you to win against top teams and beating the Rams should be expected.

If you want the fans to really start believing, this is that game! This is that game! This is that game!

Just do it!

16. By Dan on Oct 29, 2010 | Reply

I agree wit a lot of the “bloggers”. No more excuses. You are all rested. I want to see the LIONS finish the regular season 11-5. You can do it AND I expect it.

You ARE that good of a team!!!

GO LIONS!

17. By Matt From Va on Oct 29, 2010 | Reply

Been a Lions fan since 89 or 90. It’s been different players over the years, but the same results. It is time to awaken, awaken that sleeping giant, and play the way you guys should and could have been playing all along. Don’t make stupid mistakes, make your teamates accountable, not just collecting a check, make sure they reallywant to win. We are counting on you guys. Year after year we watch your games, buy tickets, merchandise, etc. We believe in you guys. Start believing in yourselves, and turn this team around.

18. By walter h on Oct 29, 2010 | Reply

I agree with everybody that posted something.And if all is good my lions yea i mean my lions will win against the skins.And win another 1 not 4 us but 4 themselves.They know they need this and 6 of the last 10 at home finish 7 and 1 at home with a couple upset victories on the road cause weve been so close all year we can make a playoff push im looking further than the nfc north…go lions.

19. By Patrick on Oct 29, 2010 | Reply

Amen to that Dan!!!!!!!! We have the players to do it, just need some hardcore direction. Alll players should have the drive that calvin does. constantly watching films, working out, and take care of that health. C’mon Lions we’ve been waitin alot of years, I mean ALOT!!!!!! lol

20. By domenico on Oct 29, 2010 | Reply

Calvin, glad you got to spend time with the family… i hope others on your team got to visit their families as well. Now go kick some tail!!!!

21. By Troy Dolick on Oct 31, 2010 | Reply

Great job today Calvin! Saw how you took some rough hits and kept battling. I know it’s not easy getting hit hard all the time going across the middle but you gutted it out and made some HUGE catches to help the team win. Great overall team effort today! Couldn’t be more proud to be a Lions fan!!!!

22. By Brandon on Oct 31, 2010 | Reply

Now that’s what I’m talkin’ about!!! It was so great to sit in the sports bar with my #81 Jersey on and watch the Redskins fans sit in silence behind me. Keep it up for next week Calvin, I’ll be watching the game with a bunch of Jets fans next Sunday.

23. By James Barnes on Nov 2, 2010 | Reply

Great Job….. Very happy to hear a win as we were blacked out up here in Tawas City. Thank You to all the Lions for all your hard work.

24. By Assaad on Nov 2, 2010 | Reply

all in favor in getting randy moss in Detroit say IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII. to dynamic wide receivers on that offense and they will when the rest of there games i bet the bank on that. come on Lions pick him up its only 3million you he would be a big help in making the playoffs and its been since 1999.

25. By Ghost of Bobby Layne on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Calvin, please don’t pull a Labron James. Stick with us. Then of how great it will feel to be part of the organization that went from worse to first. You will be a legend that will never die. You will be remembered like Bobby Layne.