Posted by Tara Altman on November 4, 2010 – 10:58 am

Rookie DT Ndamukong Suh has been named the NFL Rookie of the Month, while WR Stefan Logan has been named the NFC Special Teams Player of the Month.

It is only the second time that two Lions have been named NFL Rookie of the Month and NFC Player of the Month in the same month (September 2004: WR Roy Williams, Offensive Rookie of the Month and WR Eddie Drummond, NFC Special Teams Player of the Month).

“First and foremost I have to give a big up to my coach (Danny Crossman) for making good calls as far as what we returns we want to go with and the blockers up front do a great job keeping their guys keeping their guys from getting down field. It’s always an honor. We just have to keep on doing what we’re doing. I appreciate it and it’s a big honor.”

Suh is the Lions’ second rookie to earn NFL Defensive Rookie of the Month. He joins S Louis Delmas (September 2009) as the only Lions’ rookies to be named NFL Defensive Rookie of the Month. With RB Jahvid Best earning NFL Offensive Rookie of the Month earlier this year (September), Suh and Best become the second Lions rookie tandem to be named Rookies of the Month since 2005 (WR Roy Williams in September and RC Kevin Jones in December). It marks the first time that both an defensive rookie and an offensive rookie have been named Rookie of the Month in the same year, and the first that two rookies have been named Rookie of the Month in consecutive months.

“It’s definitely a great honor, I’m definitely proud to accept it, but to me it just adds more pressure, which I like, to continue to work and live up to it,” said Suh. “I definitely something that I’m proud to carry and be a part of.”

DT NDAMUKONG SUH:

• Suh was dominant during the month of October as he finished with 14 tackles, 4.5 sacks (29.5 yards lost), 1 interception, 1 pass defense and a 17-yard fumble return for a touchdown. He was a key cog in the Lions going 2-2 and winning both their home games.
  • Suh’s 4.5 sacks in October are the most for the month by a Lions rookie since sacks became official in 1982. They are the fifth-most among all Lions’ defensive players for October and the second-most (DT Doug English in 1983) among Lions defensive tackles.
  • Suh had more sacks (4.5) in October than any other rookie in the NFL has tallied for the entire season, and he had the most among defensive tackles in the League (Chicago DT Israel Idonije recorded 4.5 sacks but did it over 4 games starting at LDE).
  • With 4.5 sacks, Suh became the first rookie defensive tackle to record 4.5 sacks in October since Jacksonville DT John Henderson had 5.0 in 2002. He also became the first defensive tackle in the NFL to collect 4.5 sacks during October since Tampa Bay DT Warren Sapp had 5.0 in 2005.
  • In three of the four games Suh played in October, he had at least 1.0 sack, and he finished the month off with 3.5 sacks over the final two games.
  • At Green Bay (10/3), Suh registered his first sack of October with a 5-yard loss.
  • In the Lions 44-6 win over St. Louis (10/10), Suh recorded his first career interception when he tipped Rams QB Sam Bradford’s pass at the line of scrimmage and plucked the ball out of the air in the fourth quarter. Suh then returned the interception 20 yards to set up a Lions field goal.
  • Suh’s interception against the Rams was the first interception by a Lions’ rookie defensive lineman since DT Thurman McGraw intercepted a pass vs. the Los Angeles Rams October 15, 1950. Suh is also the first rookie defensive tackle in the NFL to register an interception since Falcons rookie DT Trey Lewis had one at Tennessee October 7, 2007.
  • At the New York Giants (10/17) Suh recorded his fourth full-sack of the season in the second quarter for a 5-yard loss. Earlier in the game, Suh recorded half-a-sack with DE Kyle Vanden Bosch.
  • Suh electrified the Ford Field crowd as part of a dominating performance by the defensive line in the team’s 37-25 win over Washington (10/31) when he registered 2.0 sacks (17 yards loss), 4 tackles (2 tackles-for-loss) and put an exclamation point on the victory with a 17-yard fumble return for a touchdown with 1:36 to play in the game that gave the Lions a 37-25 lead.
  • In the second quarter, Suh halted a Redskins drive when he registered 2.0 sacks in the span of three plays for a total of 17 yards lost. Suh became the team’s first rookie to record two sacks in a game since DE Kalimba Edwards at Arizona December 8, 2002. He is the first Lions rookie defensive tackle to record 2.0 sacks in a game since sacks became an official statistic in 1982.
  • Suh became the first Lions rookie defensive lineman to return a fumble for a touchdown since Bob Bell (25 yards) at Green Bay November 1, 1971.

WR STEFAN LOGAN:

• Logan had arguably the best all-around performance for the month of October by a special teamer in the entire NFL. Logan contributed on every kick and cover unit, and he came up with huge plays in all four of the Lions’ October games.
  • In each of the past three games, Logan had a kick return for at least 50 yards, including a 105-yard kickoff return for a touchdown vs. St. Louis (10/10), a 58-yard kickoff return at New York Giants (10/17) and a 71-yard punt return vs. the Washington Redskins (10/31).
  • Logan became the first player in Lions history to return a 100-yard kickoff return and a punt return for at least 70 yards in the same season (both returns occurred in October). He is the only player in the League this season with a kickoff return over 90 yards and a punt return over 60 yards, and he accomplished this in the month of October.
  • Logan led the NFL in kickoff return average (35.9) in October as he returned 10 kickoffs for 359 yards.
  • As a punt returner, he averaged 18.4 yards per return (8 for 147 yards), which was the second highest in the NFL during October among punt returners with at least 4 punt returns. He highlighted the month as a punt returner against Washington (10/31) with a career-long 71-yard return that set up a Lions touchdown.
  • Logan also contributes significantly on the team’s cover units. At Green Bay (10/3), Logan became the only special teams player this year to recover two fumbles on special teams in a game this season. Logan recovered two fumbles on kickoffs against the Packers. His second fumble recovery led to a Lions 24-yard field goal and put Detroit within two points of the Packers 28-26.
  • Logan’s 105-yard kickoff return for a touchdown against the Rams gave the Lions a 10-3 lead in the second quarter. It tied a franchise record for the longest kickoff return in team history (CB Terry Fair, 105t vs. Tampa Bay September 28, 1998) and it is tied for the sixth longest in NFL history.
  • Logan’s kickoff return for a touchdown was the team’s first since TE Casey FitzSimmons returned an onside kickoff 42 yards for a touchdown vs. Chicago September 30, 2007.
  • The kickoff return for touchdown was the second of Logan’s career.
  • At the New York Giants (10/17), Logan struck again with a 58-yard kickoff return in the fourth quarter to help set up a Lions’ field goal as the team mounted a comeback. Earlier in the game, Logan returned a punt 21 yards.
  • On Sunday against the Washington Redskins (10/31), Logan set up the Lions first score of the game when he returned a Redskins punt for career-high 71 yards. He gave the ball to the Lions offense at the Redskins 19-yard line.
  • The 71-yarder is the longest by a Lions returner since WR Eddie Drummond returned an 83-yard touchdown at Jacksonville November 14, 2004.

Tags: ,

15 Responses to “Suh Named Defensive Rookie of the Month, Logan NFC Special Teams Player of the Month”

1. By Zack from Brantford on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

Great Job Suh and Logan. Go Lions

2. By Rand Gearld DesRosiers on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

WOW how exciting!! having all of our players voted the best amoung their peers. Our Lions will continue to improve every game. again this is the first time i have said the coaching staff will make all the difference, providing we aquire players who WILL make moves every week on the field , just as we see here with awards. these acknowledgments only lead to a winning team , getting the respect you get when your headed to the playoffs!! keep those boys pumped up coaches. bring in the old stars, Barney, Sims, Sanders, Landry, and don’t forget Barry, to be honerary coaches on the sidelines. these guys will show them all about winning with the right attitude!! CONGRATS TO ALL. WE LOVE YA PROUD TO BE FROM DETROIT

3. By Don on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

Rand Gerald desRosiers, It is Great to have and hear from Fans with Good attitudes about our players and coach’s.
    And I’m not even a Player! Just another Fan That Loves to believe that this TEAM can overcome the Past Reputation’s that this TEAM has had, And , Can become the Team that it is becoming! WINNERS!
    GO LIONS!

4. By Kelly Swartzmiller on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

That boy names Suh has brought that special something to this organization that hasn’t been seen in some time. I’ve always been a Lions fan and it is so exiting to see you guys get that winning attitude. Now you KNOW you can win, and you will!

5. By Tonya Brewer on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

I have been a Lions fan since I could watch you guys on T.V. The Lions have always had talent but not always the right mind set to win. Sometimes I attribute that to 1 or 2 bad seeds that set the tone for the team. Presently, I think we have the right players on the team. The team has passed on the negative implact players and brought in positive and eager players that have desire to win and always want to improve. I can see this team improving and making the strides I knew could be made to make this team a major contender. I am grateful to have you players on this team. I enjoy all the games I watch. I make sure to wear my Lions wear to work and everywhere to show my appreciation for what great memories and moments I have watched and seen through the years. Thanks for giving this state something to chear for and thanks for givng me reasons to be a team fan.

T Brewer RN.

6. By Pat on Nov 4, 2010 | Reply

I am so glad to see comments that reflect the reason why we are Lion fans. We never give up; we never let up; we never change teams; we never stop growing…I have, many times, thought of packing all my gear in a box such as jerseys, pictures, playing cards, etc,.. and mail it to Detroit with no return address. But, I am a fan for LIFE…and that means through good and bad times. I have been married to this franchise and don’t plan on cheating..lol! I, like others, have seen plenty of number 1 draft picks and coaches come through like a one night stand…But no more! Go Schwartz and company! Take care Lion fans, see ya’ll at the superbowl (soon)!!

7. By Shawn Beerens on Nov 5, 2010 | Reply

It is great to see the GM and the coaching staff on the same page finally. Suh is by far the best player I have seen on the Lions defense in a long time and having Levy, Vanden Bosch and Delmas on that defense to support Suh is a good base to build around. Every game our Lions lost this year was within a scoring drive to win or tie the game. Says a lot about the players and coaches. Nobody said that rebuilding this franchise was going to happen over night.

8. By BILLO313 on Nov 5, 2010 | Reply

Suh… you are a beast!! If you dont get selected as a starter for the pro bowl i will be shocked!!! now we have Logan… Great job with his accomplishments this season! our whole team is finally coming together with the same goal… WIN!!! I HAVE FAITH IN YOU GUYS!!! BEAT THE JETS AND CONTINUE THIS WINNING!!!

9. By Rand Gearld DesRosiers on Nov 5, 2010 | Reply

YES BOY’S, I JUST VIEWED ESPN’ FIRST TAKE. THERE PICKIN US TO UPSET THE JETS!! SO HUDDLE ROUND THE CAMP FIRE, TELL YOUR BEST FOOTBALL STORY’S ABOUT HOW YOU NAILED THIS GUY, PUT THIS ONE IN THE HOSPITAL, SO ON , AND SO ON. ANOTHER WORDS KICK THE CRAP OUT OF THOSE PUNK JET PLAYER’S! THEIR COACH, AROGENT AS HIS FATHER, BUDDY RYAN, WHO USED TO PUT OUT BOUNTY’S ON PLAYER’S HEAD’S, NEED’S A GOOD AZZ KICKIN!! DAM IM PUMPED. WHEN I PLAYED HOCKEY, I LOVED NAILING PEOPLE INTO THE BOARD’S . ESPECIALLY AFTER MAKING A GREAT MOVE GETTING AROUND THE GUY FOR THE 3RD TIME, TELLING HIM IF YOU TRIP ME ONE MORE TIME . WELL I HAD TO BE PULLED OFF OF A FEW PLAYER’S . BREAKING A FEW NOSES, AND KNOCKING OUT A FEW OF THEIR TEETH, STOPPED THEM FROM TRIPPING ME, OR PULLING ME DOWN FROM BEHIND. MAKE US ALL PROUD ON GAME DAY! GOD BLESS YOU ALL. NO MORE INJURY’S I PRAY TO GOD. RAND

10. By John C on Nov 5, 2010 | Reply

This has been a long time coming. It’s early, but all indications are positive. I can’t wait for Green Bay, Chicago, and the Vikes to come into Ford Field. I really think we can reverse all three of those (OK two because the Lions beat Chicago – I was there) road losses.

11. By Lion Mike on Nov 5, 2010 | Reply

Lets go Lions! I never really cared much about the Jets, but after this season of Hard Knocks and listening to the Jets fans talk smack on nfl dot com…I want to see us beat them SOOOO BAD. If we can stop the run game early, or even contain it, and we can prevent silly turnovers…we can win this game. The fan base is very excited and supporting the team 100%. Bring home the W and give that sell out crowd something to get loud about! Go get em!

Lions!

12. By Don on Nov 6, 2010 | Reply

OK, Here is another Game in which everyone is wondering if this TEAM can win thier next game. Yep, That is what everyone was saying about the RedSkins Game Too as I recall. Or at least noone was saying anything like an upset. However, That is exactly what I believe that this TEAM can and WILL do!
    As far as coach Ryan is concerned and the comment’s that he has Made, I expect nothing less. That was the same way that his Father did things, Syked people out! Well, anyone that would allow him to syke them out.
    I mean yea, The jet’s are a godd TEAM, however the Ryan’s allway’s Talk there TEAMS up !That’s what they do.
    However, WE all know that this LIONS TEAM is a LOT better than what we have been shown so far.
    And that NOW is the TIME for this TEAM to Step up And show everyone who we really are.
    And I for one believe that we are Just as good as the JET’s are, IF NOT BETTER! I know that we have a defence that is just as good as thiers is, and that we have Corners and safeties That can be shut down corners themselves! Ballhawks I call them! Men that love to pluck that ball right out of the air and take it to the house! I know that we have a D-Line that can crack ANY O-LINE in this League and go get thier QB!
    And even though I want our D-line to be sacking Sanchez all day long, I just don’t want Sanchez or Stafford to get hurt.
    I hope that they both walk away from this game, able to play thier next games.
    And of coarse I want Stafford to WALK away the VICTOR ! (:
    This should be a great game This sunday.
    BE ready LIONS, And Use the self Controll that the GOOD LORD has givin you and don’t Go aetting a lot of penalties.
    Coach ryan was saying that he had the best O-Line in the League? Maybe ?
    However, when this O-Line (LIONS) has it all together and Not Getting penalized Then we are some force ourselves.
    When I look at this Game and ALL the hype, It all sounds one sided, However when I start matching player for player. There is’nt anything saying that they have that much of an advantage. Except for the W’s.
    LION”S YOU Did what Needs to be done last week, YOU fought to the VERY END, When the other TEAM Scored, YOU did what a winning team does, YOU scored again! You did’nt allow yourselves to get into that MOPING stage!
    There is NO room for that in the NFL!
    When the other TEAM scores, YOU Have to pick yourselves up dust yourselves off and GO and SCORE AGAIN!
    NO MATTER, Everytime that your Rival scores you must Return the favor!
    WE MUST and WE CAN Score MORE than the other TEAM!
    Weather it is More by a hundred or by three point’s, WE MUST AND CAN, score more than our opponant.
    I know that coach Ryan said something Like ” I don’t Know what you people are expecting” But, were bringing the Be….. Blah de blah blah blah!
    Well, I don’t know what he is expecting? However, I do know what he could end up With, A LOSS!
    Because he is comming into “OUR HOUSE” and our LIONS ARE GOING TO BE AT home ready to win!
    Let’s GO LIONS! TIME TO DO IT AGAIN! That’s what TIME IT IS!
    Last Week I asked who you were, This Week I expect you to know who you are.
    LIONS!

13. By Rand Gearld DesRosiers on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

OK What the hell happened!! I sat through the game , as all looked fine! then a simple tackle on Stafford. replay showed him turning his shoulder before hitting the turf. so I must address the strength coach. after the shoulder injurys, you move to preventative work out program! when I trained Troy Aikman the 2cd week of the Earl Campbell Football Camp I sponsered in 91 , Earl asked me to help Troy. concussions being the issue. I told Troy as im now telling Stafford , to continue to take hard hits , your body needs to be a rock! only way to isolate the upper body is working out with free weights. when balance is used , along with slow reps , you concentrate on the muscle group needed to get results. in Mathew’s case, he needs a life time comitment, or while playing qb during his carrer. OR is he prone to injury! I pray not! the offense went to crap after he went out. Hansen was so upset after that busch league hit , makes me want to kill Ryan and the dirty play of the Jets. penalty’s as we lead the league, will be our fate. time to fine players in up wards of 50,000 for idiotic mistake. but injury’s caused by rotten players who continue to nail every one, suspend them during the game!!! the hit on Roy Williams last night in the Dallas game could have killed him!!! im depressed big time!!! Rand

14. By Lion Mike on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

This was a demoralizing loss to the Jets. I feel worse about our team now then I did when we were 0-16. Are we hopeless fans that have been hoodwinked again??? Coaches blow the game with horrible play calling and show a total lack of player control. Julian Peterson should be made an example of. He gave up a long pass to Keller to set up the TD, then the late hit, not to mention all the missed tackles. Our offensive line is protected by the coaches and front office. We now have 2 QB’s that are hurt and can’t play. Some blame Stafford for being soft, but I tend to look at the nature of the injuries and there is little he can do about the injuries he had. The 3rd down pass was total arrogance and ingnorance. RUN THE DANG BALL!!! Coming into this game I thought that if we keep it close and stay respectable, the Lions may have turned the corner. However, once we got the lead and outplayed the Jets, I thought we should win this game. However, it’s the same old Lions that find a way to lose. Why doesn’t our punter kick PATs when Hanson is hurt? Why don’t we run the clock down. Why don’t we have a big back that can pound the rock? Why don’t we address the offensive line when Stafford is getting paid so much? I thought I might feel a little better today, but it’s getting very hard to care about this team anymore…

15. By Detroit Lions #1 on May 30, 2012 | Reply

I can’t wait for this season!!! Super Bowl here we come! GO LIONS!!!