Johnson: “This was probably one of the most frustrating games of my career”

Posted by Tara Altman on November 8, 2010 – 3:28 pm

“This was probably one of the most frustrating games of my career, just because we were up 10 points with four-and-a-half minutes on the clock, and we let it slip away. We let them tie it up and they got the ball in overtime, went down, made a big play and kicked a field goal. That was tough. We felt that we had that one on lock, but obviously not.

“It was a battle. We knew it was going to be a 60 minute battle, but at the same time there were times where we really could have put the game away, but we weren’t able to. I mean, there’s a lot of things in the game where we could say, ‘If we did this, we would have gotten that and it would have been a whole different outcome,’ but when it’s all said and done we have to find a way to keep that 10-point margin.

“Nate (Burleson) had some big plays yesterday and I think the big thing is that we came out on the first drive and scored, that was a big plus for us. But then we kind of stalled there a little bit. Thanks to Nate, we got some big plays and he moved us down the field to get scoring opportunities.

“I’m going to have watch film, but I know on offense there were a couple of penalties that brought plays back. That’s been a big killer for us all season. Like I said, I have to watch film, but we had a big penalty when we were trying to get them to jump off sides and got a false start, that one hurt us and we got some penalties on defense that hurt us in the end.

“Yesterday was real tough mentally, and it’s easy to say we have the 24 hour rule and we have to drop it, but after a loss like that, it’s real hard to get over. At the same time, we have to get over it, we have to move on to Buffalo and we have to keep our mindset that we have to win the rest of these games, we should have won yesterday, but we didn’t and we have to move on.”

Posted in Calvin Johnson Blog | 108 Comments »

108 Responses to “Johnson: “This was probably one of the most frustrating games of my career””

1. By Alex Bailey on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

Calvin you have this right we need to go back and look at plays that we hurt our self in with penalties and also! we need to get a running game! WE have not had one since week 2 and this is putting a lot of pressure on your WR. Which makes it easier for the defense to call their plays! but i hope practice goes well for you this week but keep up the hard work we are all proud to be lions fans and always will no matter what.

2. By Dale on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

It was a tough loss yesterday. From watching the game there were a couple key items, the biggest being the missed extra point. That extra point changes the whole game.
    Moving on… I’ve been a Lions fan since I could walk back in the late 70’s. I have been more excited about the Lions now more than ever. Shake this loss off and go out and win the next two. THen focus on the Thanksgiving Day Game. Been a long time since we ate turkey to a Lions victory. Go Lions!

3. By Mark on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

Win out and make the Playoffs, this team is as good as any team I have watched since I don’t know when. I am amazed that this team is playing better than any Lions team I have ever seen, yet they are 2-6. I can’t explain it, but I really feel this is the best team I have watched in years. Keep up the good, and hard work. Wins will come!!!! This team is not going to be a team that wins a Superbowl, this will be a team that wins a lot of Superbowl’s. Just keep pushing and trust in who I see weekly

4. By Jesse Bennett on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

You guys played a hard fought game with some costly penalties down the stretch. Coach took the blame for a bad 3 and 6 call, Stafford is beginning to draw bust criticism for being injury prone, but I wonder why he didn’t just fall on his stomach, not turn on his shoulder. Calvin your a beast and I would throw to you in double coverage and give you a shot at doing what you do best make plays! Drew Stanton is gonna get his shot now cause Stafford is done in my eyes, why put him back out when his knee is obviously bothering him. His shoulder is banged up and hes gonna need surgery to fix it I’m calling it now! Toughness is what makes players great and draws respect around the league look at Hanson he came out hurt and still maned up like a pro!

5. By Renee on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

CJ, I know how hard it was for me leaving FF yesterday after the OT loss I can only imagine how devastating it is for you and your teammates. But I fear the 24 hour rule won’t apply to the resulting injuries from that competition.

6. By Chris on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

Tough one for the fans too. I could taste the vicory for 56 minutes in that game. You guys are so close to putting it all together. Go Lions! 10-6!!

7. By jack sprat on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

I’ve been a Lions fan for nearly half a century. This is the very first time that I can honestly say, without reservation, that the players deserve to shed bitter tears over a loss. That’s NOT a negative. Only teams that have both the talent AND the HEART to be champions also have the RIGHT for bitterness. At THEMSELVES, both collectively and INDIVIDUALLY. Because you guys can look in the mirror AND in the eyes of your teammates and KNOW that you’re good enough to win it all. ONE play–ANY play–EVERY play was the difference. You weren’t surprised to be there. You knew you had the RIGHT to be there. Yet here you are. Like cancer and chemo and radiation did to Lance Armstrong, let that knowledge burn away all pretense and any urge to point fingers. You’ll NEVER play a perfect game; every one of you will find a moment in every game when you could have done more. (Even Walter Jones could tell you stories about his own failures, no matter that his coaches and teammates couldn’t.)

Now comes the HARD part. Every play matters. Every player matters. Every minute of every practice matters. Look to guys like Vanden Bosch, whose each breath reflects the bitterness of past defeats and the glory of past successes. Going forward, most of the teammates you lose will be guys who contributed, guys who mattered for at least a moment. Not all of them will make it to the promised land, even if some of you do. Each time you sit a meeting or suit up, know that the soul of the guys with you will STAY with you until your dying day. These are the only men who will ever know what it cost you to achieve greatness. Remember them. In years to come, raise a glass to their joys and sorrows; mourn their passing, when the time comes, no matter how small your role or theirs on the day that you hoist the trophy. You shed blood with them–and bitter tears.

8. By Michael on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

Keep your head up Calvin, we love you in Detroit. I was so frustrated too but with Buffalo and Dallas coming up their are some chances. I don’t know who will be throwing you the ball Sunday but lets go out and get a win!

9. By carlos on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

Calvin keep your head up you guys will turn it around your almost there don’t give up now.

10. By vernon schaff on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

Calvin, when the first down up the middle play is thrown out of the playbook, then go long to you instead. The LIONS will be over the hump.That call on our own (2) , was the start of the slide. Go take it out on Buffalo. GO LIONS

11. By JakeSEO on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

It’s just the dumb mental mistakes that you guys make that losses the games for you. You need to have the basics of football in your instincts rather than thinking about them. Practice the basics and then practice them again until you are saying them in your sleep.

12. By Andrew on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

Definitely tough for all of us. Win out. The Lions are talented enough. Frankly, it’s your only optioin at this point to have a shot at the post season.

13. By Rellz24/7 on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

I freaky luv da LIONS since i was 4 yrs of age… Bruh, i almost wantd to cry when i heard dat we lost the game and the calls that were made, plus wen Staff got hurt. This is one of the best LION team thust far i have ever seen since. We got to get it together but its coo though, on Madden 2011 were undefeated. lol

14. By zedrick on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

I actually shed a couple of tears,but I know you guy’s are going to over come those mental mistakes. The Detroit Lions are very strong team that I have faith in and like Chris said 10-6. Take it to Buffalo!

15. By Noam on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

Watching this game, living in New York amongst Jets fans, made it a very painful ending. I could taste the ‘W’ all weekend leading up to kickoff. Going into the second half of the 4th I knew we had it. In the bag. But your right Megatron. Its all about the penalties that steal the victories away and that stall the Lions true capabilities from coming out. Once that mentality ends, I see the super bowl so close. This team is scary dangerous, let’s protect Staff and take the NFL for surprise.

16. By Ell on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

I know this one hurts but let this loss undo all the positive things that you guys have done so far this season …… I’m still a fan!!!

17. By MoTown Madness on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

Tough Loss….I thought nothing could hurt more than the loss to the Bears this year; but, this one was deeper. This is the best team I’ve seen on the field in a long time. We bleed some blue & silver today with our team. I would like to see the asst. head coaches step up a make recommendations to take a time-out before Suh goes out to kick, remind the coach that the D has kept us in the game (and to let the time run on clock), and find away to REDUCE the penalties.

MotTown Madness 4 Life
    236 Alumni

18. By Bpyrc on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

It was hard to watch but we’ll be back next week. 10-6! I’m a Texas boy and I’m excited to see the game live in Dallas. GO LIONS!

19. By Joey on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

All of us true lions fans watch you guys working so hard every sunday and we know it is all going to come together soon. Lets go to Buffalo and get that road win taken care of!!

20. By T-BO on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

The Detroit Lions and Company have made one giant step this year! Giving the Jets all they could handle yesterday is a testimony to that. The bounces went their way early or it would have been a no contest. You truely outplayed the Jets yesterday! Grind it out this year and get a few more outstanding draft choices and you will make the Central Division Tiltle run nest year! Great job! I am proud to be a Lion fan!

21. By Loren Jones on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

I been a die hard Detroit Lions fan my whole entire life man. The pain I felt Sunday when we blew that lead was so bad and it took me back to when Adam Edinger for the Chicago Bears kicked that field goal to knock us out of playoff contention some years back. Then we go get Matt Milen and you know how that turned out for us. I feel we can still go to the playoffs if we continue to stay together and if Matthew Stafford is not hurt for a long period of time. Chris Houston may be out for a while and maybe we can go get Al Harris as a free agent. But still the loss Sunday was right up there with the pain I been feeling all of my life. Lions keep playing tough and hard so we can get this thing pulled around now!!! Go Lions!!!1

22. By joe on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

Man, what a game. What can you say, Jets won. It’s going to linger, its going to haunt you for the next couple days but we all gotta move on and do work on Buffalo and hold on to that frustrating, because the Lions will play the Jets again this year, in the playoffs, and knock them out where it matters.

23. By Andrea Molinari on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

Yes, Calvin, it was very hard on us fans too. However, the worst thing for me was seeing guys go down and not know how bad your injuries were. I am a huge fan of Cliff. Is he ok? What about Chris Houston? He has been a gift for us at CB…is he going to be alright? Matt? He has played so darn well (6tds and 1int). He is great but we can’t seem to keep him safe. Jahvid seemed hurt, even Alphonso got banged up. I realize the stragegy of not letting opponents know about the guys’ condition but as a fan… you just want to hear that your guys are going to be ok.

The loss is bad but you guys are our team. We are NOT just cheering for laundry. You guys matter so much more than a win or loss.

No matter what: we are STILL behind you guys. Don’t forget it.

24. By Bamidele Fuller on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

I really believe the coaches let this one get away, too many headscratching decisions were made. For some reason Cal, I feel like I lost and I don’t even ball sir!!! Keep ya head up and please stay in detroit, we need your talent to win the superbowl in a few years!!!

25. By Julio on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

One of the toughest loss ever as a Lion fan and this is coming from a fan that got NFL sunday ticket for the first time when we went 0-16. Calvin Im sorry man. I love Stafford, Hes my boy but Im not liking all these injuries. Ever heard of Charles Rogers? I honestly would not be disappointed if Andrew Luck ended up a Lion in the near future, but Im not hating on Stafford. If Luck falls to us anytime in the next couple years we need to seriously consider having him join our team.

Calvin, keep pushing your teammates. Lets all get better. Lets bring a championship to Detroit.

26. By danny on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

Id have to say this is the toughest loss since the year we lost at home to Chicago on a last second FG to lose our playoff spot. That was a good 10 years ago, so despite the loss, im still excited as a Lions fan. There would of been no point in any season over the past decade that a loss would of really hurt anyways, no matter how it happened, cause it wouldnt of mattered had we won anyways. This game showed how close we are to making the playoffs, I think. Alot of people said coming into this season that it would take another 2 or 3 years. Its apparent that IF Stafford can stay healthy, theres no reason we cant make the playoffs next year. We dont need an overhaul, we dont need a great draft and we wont need a miracle. We just need our QB to get his share of good luck for a change. GO LIONS!

27. By Sheryl Petefi on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

That was a tough one. In my pool, I picked you towin. Just knew you were going to do it. Mental mistakes are killing you, but the bad, bad calls by the officials can no longer be tolerated. I don’t get why Schwartz doesn’t raise a stink about it. So what if he gets ejected from the game? It will make his point. Even the commentators were saying how the officials were making bad calls and missing others that were flagrant! This has been going on all season and it HAS to stop. What needs to be done?

28. By Mike D. on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

I watched that game with a room full of Lions fans in the interior of British Columbia, and everyone took it hard too. But even this far from Detroit it is evident that you guys are a new team, with a new attitude, added to old love from lifetime fans. Don’t get discouraged, you are so close. Go Lions!!!!!!

29. By Eric on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

Yeah, that was a tough one, for players and fans alike. I was screaming I was so excited that we were going to knock off the Jets. Then when I seen the coaches call a passing play with Stanton in the game, I was like, WTF?!?!?! Why would he do that? Just run the clock out man! If that would’ve happened, it would’ve been over…and they wouldn’t have ever tied the game. But oh well, just come back week after week and win the rest of ‘em! Start getting over these mental mistakes and make the other teams have them instead. Us fans can really feel that times are changing and we’re really excited that we all know that we can make it to the post-season and push any team in the league. C’mon Lions! Restore the Roar!!!

30. By FRUSTRATED!!!! on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

Why was Calvin in ghost mode yesterday? I’m the biggest fan of Calvin and I was really looking forward to seeing him go against Revis. Why did we only target him 4 times? So what, we didn’t connect on a deep pass on the 1st play of the game, but we shouldn’t have gone away from our strength. Nate came up big, but we didn’t even try to stretch the field with Calvin. Was Scheffler even at the game? VERY FRUSTRATING! Why doesn’t someone hold the offensive line accountable, for once? I’m tired of stupid mistakes and unaccountable staff and players. I know our offense is young and mistakes happen, but the mistakes weren’t coming from the young players. Dom knows better. Petterman knows better. Peterson knows better than to get that late hit penalty. Schwartz and Linehan know better than to make that 3rd down call. Why doesn’t Harris kick that PAT? I have read blog after blog about how the coaches need to be accountable and the clock has to start ticking on Schwartz. I have always defended him because the team has been competitive and catching tough breaks. After yesterdays game…TICK, TOCK, TICK, TOCK…the clock has started ticking Jim. Lead by example and win the dang game! Run the ball when you want to chew clock. Don’t get cute with playaction. Don’t get cute with Suh kicking. Step up or get out…we are tired of being let down.

31. By Eric on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

danny…I’d have to say that yes, we do need a great draft. But this next draft we need nothing but OL. Maybe then we can keep Stafford healthy. And someone teach Stafford to stop falling on his dadgum shoulders and fall on his back or something…lol.

32. By Ran D on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

whoa! im so proud of this team. this team is so close. the pieces are there. people are stepping up in positions on this team and players need NOT listen to those negative critics. teams pickup the slack when there team mates fall short or struggle with difficult matchups. there are a lot of DETROIT LIONS fans in the D, we still believe. Let’s Go Lions!!!

33. By DanyoInDaLionsDen on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

Hey it was hard for me too. i was busy during the 4th qtr and had to leave but when i came back home. my daughter told me she think we won. when i looked we lost in OT. im looking at it this way we will be fine. We are to close and will only get better. WE HAVE YOUR BACKS!!!! i must be the only Lion fan in Alabama… Go LIONS!!!!!!!

34. By Lhunt007 on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

I think Andrea pretty much summed it up.

35. By Desiree on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

next time run on third n six instead of playaction pass with a backup quarterback

36. By John on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

If we would have had Hanson for that kick, or let our punter kick that field goal, we would have won the game. That is just a bad call on special teams coaching… and I am a die hard lions fan who hates to admit our faults.

37. By Dan on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

I agree, as a fan, that was a hard one to swallow. I was “on edge” the whole game because I knew how good the Jets were “supposed to be” BUT, WE WERE KICKING THEIR BUTT”! We were so close.
    As hard as it was for us – I feel so bad for the whole Lions team. They deserve better than a 2-6 record. All I can say to the team is DO NOT give up on yourselves because, it is clear, the Lions fans have not given up on you! LET”S GO! Kick some ass! 10-6 is still a good record. GO LIONS!

38. By Jack Jarvis on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

You guys were dominating them and they got that pass at the end of the half which was tough, but if not for a few big plays, you guys owned them! Much improvement from last year. I don’t think too many teams are eager to play you now! Hang in there!! Get the next one and then the Pats on Thanksgiving!

39. By david pardo on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

Tough lesson to learn, but when you have a team down you have to go for the throat. Detroit learned that yesterday. Given how this team has fought hard all year, the lesson was learned the hard way. Buffalo is about to run into a buzzsaw. The anger from this game will be taken out on the bills!! GO LIONS!!!!

40. By Rickey on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

Im a die hard lion fan win or lose and i see much progress in this team! Keep working hard and take care of the little mistakes that turn into big mistakes and we will be allright! Let get that nasty taste out of our mouths and run the table!

41. By shane fountain on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

I couldnt not agree more with all of u they are right there just have step over that line we could pull a denny green and say they are who we thought they were ..lmao the jets suck suck suck .. CJ u guys aint got nothen to be ashamed off i know and i am speaking for me personally wanted to smack julian peterson s head off when he hit lt out of bounds c mon J P are u kdding me anywhoo everyone ois right 10-6 is not a bad recoord as opposed to 2-14 either way we are all behind u giiys we love our boys in blue and silver buffalo got something comming there way that they aint ready for remember st louis cj spiller 1 2 suh s coimmin for you and i sincerely hope matty and the fellas will be back next week c mon coach let the family know our boys are okay or whats the deal …… keep your heads up fellas promised land is right around the corner in a couple years they gonna be talkin about the dynasty in detroit so screw all the haters and nay sayers …. GO LIONS

42. By Daryl on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

Hard luck man, that was tough. Keep your heads up though, you know you deserve to be in the playoffs. Work hard and good luck for the next game!

43. By Edward Huffmaster on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

…another tuff loss, i just don’t understand the play calling, and not just in the last minutes of the game but the whole game, when you know you are facing a great corner in an upcoming game why doesn’t the coaching staff find other ways to get you involved in the game, ok, ok, i get it, you want to go against a great corner, i know you are up to the challenge and i want to see that match up to but not the whole game, talk to the coaches man, there has got to be a way to get the ball in your hands. I hope Matt is o.k. and everything, but i still think we should have kept Chad, he’s bigger and stronger,..and he seems to be doing pretty good in Miami.

44. By Kent on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

I’ve been a Lions fan from the year I was born, win or lose I have always supported the Lions….This has not or will not change. I have come down from Petoskey, Michigan every year to see you all play and I never miss a game on TV. My point is that I have watched you all of my life and I can tell from experience that you are all very close to overcoming the past challenges that have plagued you.

I think coach Swartz is the best coach in many years. I can see he believes in you as I do. Please don’t let the recent losses get you down. The wake doesn’t drive the boat. No matter what happens you can rest assured that I Kent Warner will be here believing in you all, hoping, praying and cheering for you!

Chin up this to shall pass….Your time is coming.

Respectfully

Kent C Warner

45. By DETRIOT on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

ALL AND ALL OUR BOYS PLAYED WELL. AT THIS LEVEL THESE GAMES USUALLY COME DOWN TO ONE OR TWO PLAYS. AND OF COURSE COACHING AND PLAY CALLING. I BELIEVE IN OUR STAFF BUT THE LAST PLAY WAS NOT A GOOD CHOICE. WE SHOULS HAVE RUN THE BALL BETWEEN THIRD DOWN AND 4TH DOWN WE WOULD HAVE LEFT CLOSE TO NO TIME ON THE CLOCK. LOOK NO ONE IS PERFECT COACHES ARE HUMAN TOO. ALL I KNOW IS THIS TEAM IS THE BEST LIONS TEAM IN 13 YEARS. THIS COACH IS GOT HIS STUFF TOGETHER.HIS IS A LEADER. JUST KEEP GOING IN THE DIRECTION YOU HAVE BEEN GOING AND THE WINS WILL COME. WE ARE ALL BEHIND YOU. THIS CITY NEEDS A REASON TO ROAR… GO LIONS YOUR FAN D….

46. By ART on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

I drove all the way from new jersey and am a Die hard Fan.. You guys looked great and I can still remember Corey Williams telling a O lineman don’t worry we got this.. Stafford get healthy and the others great job. Next time just keep on the throttle on defense. I love all of you!!!! DIE HARD JERSEY LIONS FAN!!!!!

47. By Rick on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

I don’t blame coach Swartz for the call on 3rd & 6, ’cause the Jets were playing the run, and Drew threw a catchable pass, it just sucks Jerome couldn’t hang on. **it happens.
    Drew’s just got to get more reps in practice to get his timing down. shake off the loss and kick the bills butts next week!
    Lions fan forever!

48. By Ken in Cincy on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

I know it’s hard to apply the 24 hr rule to a loss like this one. But you’ve simply got to focus on the big picture. THIS TEAM HAS TALENT, LOTS OF IT! Injuries happen and all you can do is role with it. Focus on correcting what you can control. I’ve been a fan for 40+ years and I’m proud of the way the Leo’s have fought all year. The corner has been turned. Hard work will be rewarded. I can envision a parade down Woodward for the VICTORIOUS DETROIT LIONS and their Lombardi Trophy!!

49. By Matt on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

At least your off of Revis Island and can continue to play great.

50. By Fan for 40 yrs on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

Ok a tough loss, what’s new? You guys need to learn to turn your tough loss into the other teams tough loss. Great teams overcome the mental mistakes they may make and finish games strong. Until that happens, this will continue. You’re are a great receiver, but the greatest receivers don’t have 1 catch for 13 yds in big games. I’m not blaming you, but you’re our #1 WR for a reason. There isn’t a DB in the league that should be able to cover you! It was a tough team loss no doubt, but our Lions have turned the corner and on their way. I can only see great things ahead for this team.

51. By Bill in Green Bay on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

I just hope you guys know that we appreciate your hard work! We are behind you all the way! Keep on pluggin! Go Lions!

52. By Steve K on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

We blew that . Plain & simple . The team’s building good , we’re just not used to winning/holding a lead . That will come :-)

53. By demink on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

All that truly matters is that the team played its hardest. You men have given us fans something we haven’t had for many years, a team that cares and doesn’t give up. Thank you. One loss doesn’t matter because everyone can see the effort you guys make on a daily basis. We believe in you, just keep working and the sky is the limit!

54. By LionsForever on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

I watched some pretty tough losses in my lifetime but without a doubt yesterday’s loss was the hardest i felt since Barry Sanders walked away in 1999. I gave up on the Lions that summer and part me regrets leaving them like BS did. I’ve quietly cheered for the Lions to rise from the slums of the NFL and become a respectable franchise, sadly I still wait. Ironically through all the losses I’ve watched over the years I still am proud to say that I’m a Detroit Lions Fan and i’m thankful CJ is a Lion. Lions Fan Forever.

55. By jeremy on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

I to am a huge lions fan here in Texas I can not believe we lost that game as i watch on tv i see the potential there they just need to keep working and pay attention to many penaltys I have tickets to see the lions play in Dallas and i will be cheering over all the cowgirls fans…GO LIONS

56. By Gary on Nov 8, 2010 | Reply

One of the toughest losses in 40 years as a fan. We must learn and grow from these heartbreakers. Coaches and players alike. The most frustrating part is that Stafford is by far the best qb this team has had in years, his understanding, and ablity to run this offense is amazing.When he went down again you could see the air come out of this team. My concern for the future is that he gets injured on routine plays, and that as much as i respect him as a player and a leader, I dont see anyway that he can stay healthy over a 16 or 18 game schedule. and with the wealth of qb’s coming out in the draft we are going to have to look strongly at going after one of them.

57. By Darrell on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Im easily the only lions fan in california> i watch every snap of every game every year and i really wanted to cry…. it was kind of ridiculous our 47 million dollar qb cant stay healthy.. in hindsite we are 6-2 but in reality we are wat we are… Stafford is easily one of the best in the league but i sound stupid to my friends when i say that cuzz hes always out… We r good with Shaun Hill but we are deadly with Matt Stat……

58. By Justin on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Don’t give up. We are so close. We are behind you guys all the way! 10-6!

59. By Dan on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

hey i say we are a playoff caliber team our only problem like every year is QB and penalties. One thing is dif though we have a great QB we just need to keep him healthy and stop shootin ourselves in the foot. We went to OT with a team that has a great shot to represent the AFC in the super bowl, and we took it to em I’d rather have a win but this just shows that we have a good team and we are so close to makin playoffs soon. GO LIONS #1 fan for life

60. By Rocky! on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

I have to say that the team is still short on smart talent~ Too many dropped balls by #84, #44, and # 85.
    #51 is still a hot headed, finger pointer in all directions but his own!!
    #66 continues to make stupid mental mistakes week after week. And for the first time, I really have to call out the coach on this one. No time out called prior to the halftime got my blood curdling. No time out prior to the extra point by Suh got my blood pressure up! To even call a pass play for Stanton on the 3rd down was way over my boiling point and there were an array of events that led up to the melt down of what is becoming a very good football team in Detroit.
    #27, don’t try to bring the ball out once you’re in the end zone with a great interception..(you ruined an otherwise great play and looked like a Rook doing it!)
    Peterson, what were you thinking???
    Two Chop Blocks by our Offensive players???
    Mr. Linehan, 4 passes to #44 in the flat Three for losses—SCRAP THAT PLAY….IT DOESN’T”T WORK!
    I did see some non-calls on the Jets that would have kept some of our drives alive, but without a coach getting his point across to the Referees better, we will always seem GUTLESS to them! It all started with the humble way he handled the non=touchdown in the very first game and still carries on now.
    #81 is a premier receiver in this league and our coach needs to let the officials know that cornerbacks cannot grab him prior to the ball getting there and he can’t let them get away with that over and over.
    Stand up and fight for your team before you lose them to someone who will!
    We need to earn our respect back and it starts at the TOP!!!!

61. By Rocky! on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

I forgot to add that we still need a Quarterback! Stafford might be the greatest Quarterback that’s ever played the game and he might be the second coming, and he might be the smartest player ever to play the position, and he might be the only,nicest guy, that Raiola has ever liked, but so far, all’s I’ve seen in the last two years is one that cannot stay healthy and cannot stay on the playing field. Don’t take this personal, but this is a game for men and if you can’t stay on the field and play the game, you are a wanna be and no good to anyone. Nothing personal, just a very true fact about a great kid that might be in over his head??!

Rocky!

62. By J.T. on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

CJ, you are a beast. I’m just sorry that you are surrounded by idiots and you are forced to try and catch passes from a douchebag incompetent QB like Drew Stanton.

63. By Mac on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Calvin, you played a great game. Stats aren’t all that is important. The entire Jets defensive scheme changed because of you. That allowed Nate to get all those yards and that is because of you. I saw a lot of holding by the Jets O-line in that game that wasn’t called and it was frustrating as I thought you guys would put a lot more pressure on Sanchez. The biggest mistake as stated above was the playcalling with Drew in. Shoot, he could have just took a knee on that 3rd down as it would have milked 40 seconds off the clock with no T.O.’s and there is no way Mark marches down the field with no time. Julian’s penalty was real big too but I think that was one of those that he could really stop his momentum hitting Tomlinson. Oh well. I am still with you guys and despite the loses you and your buds have made me proud to be a Lions fan even all the way over here in Germany serving in our forces. I love you guys, oh, next time you play Revis you need to just push the crap out of that guy as you are a lot bigger. I didn’t get that one but hey I am not playing. Good luck against the Bills and I hope you get off like you have been bro. GO LIONS!!!

64. By Ralph on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

This was a tough game, but I believe the Lions can still do it and they will. Don’t give up Calvin Johnson, every team makes mistakes in the NFL, no team is perfect.
    Your one of my favorite players and I’m rooting for you

65. By Bill Mi on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

The bottom line is the best teams have good quarterbacks and sad to say Stafford is not one of them…he’s got everything to be one but one thing…he’s got paper mache shoulders….the Lions will have to look at getting another quarterback and into OL next year…as for this season I must admit it’s been exciting so far…better talent and tough grit playing. Add in the coulda shoulda wouldas and we’d be 6-2 but life and this game doesn’t live by those things…Just keep pushing guys and maybe we’ll break this thing open..great game Calvin.

66. By Amie on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Love you Calvin….and all the Lions :) ….This is a great team now and in the making. Been a since I was a little girl and still love the LIONS…..BTW Calvin, you tore it up week before last, got me 38 fantasy points..Thank you…They indeed call you Megatron for a reason :) GO LIONS

There is talk that you are leaving too, hope it is not true :(

67. By roy on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Man, you guys are so close to being a great team! I agree that if Stafford can stay healthy,which seems to be impossible we have a great chance of beating any team.Stafford definitely needs to learn how to stop rolling onto his shoulders EVERY time he goes down.Hats off to Burleson . I have been impressed with him since we got him and makes a great combo with the best and most feared receiver in the league. And I have to say that Logan plays hard and has given our team the charge we have so desperately needed. Go LIONS!!!

68. By Wes on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Very proud of how well Lions played the Jets Sunday for 56 minutes, but game lasts 60 minutes. Lions made too many mental errors the entire game including every penalty and Coach Scwartz did not have, nor did his staff drawn up good end of game clock use plan for any QB and I have seen similar sideline confusion a few times this year. I realize he is learning position of head coach same as many players. But the Lions must fix this problem now. No team can play 1st down & 20 for half a game and win often.
    When Jets went down by 10 points with 4 minutes left I am sure they had to be very surprised by the Lions skill and overall toughness, and possibly feeling they were going lose two games in a row to NFC Central but they knew exactly what had to be done for any hope of much needed victory and luck was part of plan along with Lions making a few bad mistakes and all went like a script written for the Jets. The Lions are now a far better team than I have seen in years. But, that being said a loss is a loss and every one hurts more now than the one before. It is time right now – this season — to find out if Stafford can overcome his injury prone ways — he already has a rep around the NFL and is target to hit and knock down for other teams. Every QB has to learn to fall without injury. The entire future and how deep into playoff games the Lions can go rests on Stafford and his ability to stay in every game all game. If Stafford is too fragile the Lions must hope to find and draft another QB with his skills (mental and physical) and potential to become great as Stafford will be (if healthy) in next draft. I hope he learns how to fall without hurting himself and he can train to make himself stay healthy. Finding another QB as smart and gifted is needle in a haystack at best and Lions have other holes to fill. Stafford has the rare potential to be an elite NFL QB from what I have seen. Sadly that is in about only 13 almost 14 total NFL games over 1.5 seasons.

69. By DanyoInDaLionsDen on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Matt is a great QB. He will have to develop his shoulder muscles. It pretty much like Drew B. of the Saints. We will be ok. Matt is a clutch QB and he is Tuff. It looked like it was bothing him earlier in the game but he stayed in and fought. We are going to need to draft a tackle next year. GO LIONS!!!!!

70. By David Deighton on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

You guys looked great. Just need to learn how to finish games out, it will come, don’t lose hope. The team has made great leaps and bounds post-Millen. Matt Millen set us back ~ 20 years. Only one move has made it, and that CJ aka Megatron, the only reason we aren’t asking for Millen to be exiled from Michigan.

71. By AD on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Lions 38 Bills 10

72. By mark on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

that one was a real tough loss for all of us the fans that are really tired of supporting this team.I’ve been a supporter of the lions since I can remember and I’m 48 yrs. old. So that is a very long time. and I’m sorry but everytime you turn around its a penalty or a turnover. you guys get paid a lot of money to go to work and do your job,yet evrytime you turn around its the same ole same ole.Now I will still support my DETROIT LIONS every week but please guys just go out and be proud and play like all of us fans know your capable of playing. so go lions go

73. By G Money on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

That game is going to stick in my craw for a long time. That was the game that could’ve started the winning habit in Detroit. But now, it’s just part of the losing habit. Beating Buffalo won’t be as significant, because we’re supposed to beat Buffalo like a drum. That Jets game was critical. Now we have no QB. Stafford’s truly made of glass and has no idea of how to fall to the ground when no one is on him to keep from getting hurt. Once again, I feel that we are doomed to yet another losing season. We really needed to upgrade the O-line and LB’s in the next draft, but now we need another QB too. Add 2-3 more years to the rebuilding project. I just hope that Calvin Johnson sticks around long enough for it to happen, but he probably won’t. Would you?

74. By Starkicker on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

The thing that frustrates me is that the same mistakes are made over and over. If this team wants, it can win a Super Bowl. We have loads of talent and I believe the desire. We just need to strive for perfection and accept nothing less. If that happens, we’re champions. if not, same old. You guys can be so close to holding that Lombardi trophy. Look in the mirror and ask yourselves how bad do you want it then go get it. Lions pride forever!

75. By Marc P on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

I don’t chat, write, blog, or comment much. I’ve been more of a silent fan for the past forty some odd years, however, every Sunday and Turkey Day, I yell myself hoarse rooting for my Detroit Lions, or encouraging the defense, or screaming run, run, at the top of my lungs.

I had many chances to do that last Sunday, and I thank you for that. Every Lion played a great game, and if it wasn’t for a few miscues, or penalties at the wrong times, that game would have been ours to enjoy and savor. Even though we ended up with a bitter pill to swallow, it was a great game, and we have nothing to be ashamed of. We only need to study film a bit more, and discipline ourselves to hold steady at the line, watch the low tackles, and refrain from making late hits – not matter how much they deserved it.

And, as long as we can keep great players such as yourself and the others on our team, I know the kinks will be worked out, and deep down in my heart, I know this is the Lions’ decade! I see a couple Superbowls in our future!

76. By Gator on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Calvin, Keep your chin up, your an awesome player and a great individual.
    It’s not your fault the team can’t seem to get you involved earllier in games like the other successful teams do with their star players. Just bide your time and your contract will be up soon so you can go to a team that has an owner and an organization that really cares about winning.
    It’s unfortunate Matthew seems to be injury prone bacause I truly believe you could be a lethal combination if he could just stay healthy on a consistant basis.
    Until then I will continue to watch you and your teammates from sunny Florida and look forward to seeing you at the game in Tampa later this year..

77. By domenico on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Why didn’t Calvin mention anything in his blog why he was only targeted 4 times? I’d like to know about the battle he had out there at WR with Revis and Cromartie. Didn’t watch the game, anybody know? I understand the QB must throw it to him before Calvin has a chance, but he is probably a first or at least second read in the progression so in my opinion CJ you may want to work on your moves more. Height and strength can’t always win! Good Luck Lions. I

78. By Mike Cook on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

CJ and Lions,
    Thank you for an already amazing season. This season is just one more step closer to where all of the true fans know we are going to be…the Super Bowl. The Lions are an amazing team with amazing talent at every turn. You all are surprising the best of teams with your talent. Every post game interview of opposing coaches and players brings the same comment…”this is not the same Lions team we’ve played in the past”. You all are no joke and are becoming a well rounded, multi-talented and solid team. The only aspect missing from this team is a culture of victory. As soon as that comes, this Detroit Lions team will be UNSTOPPABLE. I will be here, in Colorado, with my multitude of Detroit Lions paraphernalia watching and cheering the whole way to the championship. May God be with you and remember, you have fans and supporters around the world cheering you on.

GO LIONS!!!

79. By George P. Burdell on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Calvin, I am a life long Detroit Lion fan and since 1977 a graduate and loyal Georgia Tech fan. This was a hard loss, plus the Ga. Tech loss at Va Tech. Despite the ups and down in this game it is still exciting to watch players of your talent and character hang in there week after week and perform. This Lion’s team has stepped up and made great strides in two years. In 1982 Ga Tech had a one win season and by 1990 were National Champions.
    It is also interesting to see you taking passes from Matthew Stafford. Two years ago I would cheer the Ga Tech safeties who caught his passes. So this weekend go to Buffalo and make Chan’s team a 0-16 team. Hang in there and keep up the good fight. I am also pulling for a healthy return of Matthew Stafford. In my life time I hope you and the Lion’s win the Championship game.

80. By LILO on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

CALVIN, DONT TRIP, WE WILL COME BACK THE REST OF THE SEASON. YOU ARE THE BEST WIDE RECEIVER IN THE LEAGUE IN MY EYES;MEGATRON, WHAT A AWESOME NAME. NO ONE EVEN COMES CLOSE TO THAT ONE IN THE LEAGUE. THAT NAME SAYS A LOT ABOUT YOU. WE HAVE MET IN OAKLAND AND IN SAN DIEGO IN 2008. I HAVE PICS WITH YOU. I AM LEARNING EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU. I BREATHE DETROIT LIONS TO THE FULLEST.

81. By Lee on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

My son and I cried with you brother!

82. By Randy on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Go Lions. As with all true lions fans I am behind you every game no matter what. You are almost there and this season has been fun (and a bit heartbreaking) at times to watch. This is, as most everyone else has said the most talented team we have produced in years. Oh yeah…my neighbor is a frigging bears fan and he had nothing to say after that first game because he knows we won that game.

83. By Illinois Lion on Nov 9, 2010 | Reply

Still so bummed about this game. I don’t remember a time I have been this upset about a regular season loss, but I guess I don’t really remember a time in the past 10 years that I have had this high of expectations either. There is always a sexy pick in the draft. Last year was Suh and he is AWESOME. This year will be one of the lock down cornerbacks in Peterson or the kid from Nebraska. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE. I’M BEGGING…FOR THE SANITY OF THE FAN BASE…PLEASE DRAFT A LT THAT IS AN IMMEDIATE STARTER. Lets keep Matt healthy next year. Lets get the run game running. Not saying throw Backus out, but maybe move him to RG. Good luck against Buffalo. We are going to need the other players to step up and help Stanton out big time! Restore the Roar! LIONS!

84. By Lions Fan on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

If yins cant beat the Bills you might as well hang it up.

85. By big buck on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

This is the same coaching mistakes that haven been costing this team set back’s since the 70’s. Can’t run the ball and the coach calls a stupid play with a quarterbaqck who clearly doesn’t belong in the league. You can’t blame the team on this one, its all bad coaching blunders that cost this team at the end of the game. Face it, this team has played with 4 playoff teams all the way to the end to have the head coach have a brian fart and cost them wins.

86. By Son-in-Law to a Packer Fan on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

There were mistakes made by players and coaches. It happens sometimes but needs to be curtailed by this team. We have a great group of guys that are hungry for something more. We just need to take a step back and focus on how we are going to win at Buffalo. Let’s not forget Joe Paquette and his desire. Tell everybody to get wih Jason, start praying, and get our minds focused. We’ll make it through this just fine.

87. By Big Ed on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

Keep your head up and keep fighting. I truely feel that next year at this time your record will be flipped and you will have all the wins. Mainly though, we need to keep Matt on his feet. In his limited action this year he has shown that he is the man to lead this team. Get in those “O” linemans face and make them earn their paychecks. That too would help the undeveloped running game. Its all coming together……SOON!!

88. By Rodaja on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

Hey Cal, how yah doin!
    Man, I feel for you, but like it has been mentioned a hundred times, the ground game isn’t. With Best and Felton in there you would think coach would have more plays than up the middle, off-tackle. Is Best unaware that he is tipping the defence off that he is getting the ball, they seem to know when the play is going to him? Linehan has to force the defensive line to spread out.
    I don’t believe anybody thought you guys were going to the superbowl, growth takes time. This team is a few players short (linebackers, corner and safety) away from a dominant powerhouse. I’ve been waiting since 57′, and I truly believe that you and the rest of the lions will be re-writing the books soon!

89. By lion rage on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

Calvin Hey man, first off I gota say man I been a Lions fan for 25 yrs. and never been to Detroit , in all my years of being a Fan only 1 player ever gave me hope , and inspired myself in many areas of life and that was of course Barry Sanders , and Upfront my brother YOU inspire me as sanders did then . Your a beast man straight up! I have 2 of your jerseys and your wallpaper on my computer. I am with you on the frustration of a few losses that have occured, and being I am a football fan , not just because I am loyal to the LIons but, I observe all of football , even thou. we have lost some tough games I truly believe we are one of the best teams in the league and it’s awsome to hear local people in my small Oregon town talking about the Lions and saying “wow man they are not the team they used to be”! Keep the faith my brother and know I support ya guys!

90. By lion rage on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

Reply to people that got attitude and trying to be the coach of the Lions, first off you are not THE COACH 2nd off it’s amazing how people are bashing players and coaches ,because you got some sick twisted thoughts that people actually listen to your negativity! If you are a true fan and support our LIONS be thankful they are giving us hope and show them you care if you are a true supporter silence your mouth or get off the team bus , we don’t need fans like you bashing our coaches and players. WE ARE NO LONGER THE TEAM PEOPLE ARE LAUGHING AT IN THE LEAGUE , OTHER FANS OF TEAMS ARE TAKING NOTICE WE ARE BECOMING A FORCE TO BE RECKONED WITH AND PEOPLE ARE GETTING LEARY TO PLAY US! So for once in your life be of encouragement!

91. By chris on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

I also have been a Lions fan my whole life! I’ve taken alot of crap for it from all my friends and co-workers to. They don’t understand what it’s like to be a true fan. I see a team with alot of heart, and a never give up attitude. Things will come around, you guys are the best lions team I’ve ever seen and just as good as any team in the league! Hang in there, this team is headed to nfl greatness and you are one of the few to lead us there! And when that day comes…It will have been worth the wait! Shake it off bro……..the fat lady hasn’t sang her song! We still have a half a season to go. GO LIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

92. By AndyBIZ on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

So proud of this team and all of the adversity you have had to overcome says a lot about your character. Looking forward to seeing Stafford stay healthy. Maybe the next Montana to Rice combo is in the future to come. Can you imagine this team in 2 years time with a few little tweaks I think the NFL will have to look out. The Jets you kidding me, they’re going nowhere with Sanchez! That Jets coach is a weasel got to love Schwartz I think he’s the real deal!

93. By Rob Owen on Nov 11, 2010 | Reply

I remember the moment I decided i loved football. I was 8 years old and saw a game at the bowling alley my parents worked at. Barry Sanders was going nuts against the 49ers and i was awestruck. Ever since then my favorite team always has been and always will be the Lions. I had planned to come see you guys play the Jets on my bday this year. Always been something I wanted to do, Go to Ford Field on my bday and catch a Lions game. Get alot of flak being a Lions fan in Oklahoma atleast i can say im not a cowboys fan lol. You guys are doing amazing competeing in every game. Keep doing what youre doing and the Lions will soon be a powerhouse!

94. By Michael Riley on Nov 11, 2010 | Reply

Calvin I can empathise with you and your teamates, however As I comiserate here, I have to point out, Detroit MUST play ball for 60 minutes! Detroit MUST find ways to win! The Lions players MUST look deep within, and pull out of them the idea “We are not going to lose anymore!” “We are NOT going to be anyones patsies anymore!” I can share this frustration with you Calvin as a fan, because Lions fans have been frustrated a lot longer than you have been here!!! It’s even more frustrating this year because this team is so close, so damned close! I’m watching Stafford come into his own and now he goes down to injury, and dare I say? The sophomore jinx? This team has a lot of talent, even ESPN called the Lions “A good team” We also have the right coach for the first time in years, YEARS!! But I must say it’s time for the veterans such as yourself Calvin, and other players like Vanderbosch to go out and step up and take on leadership roles, it’s time that you and your teamates get focused and play SOLID ball for 60 minutes, it’s time for this team to QUIT making bonehead plays, and rather start executing, and it’s time to gain that mentality “We’re going to win no matter what” THIS is what seperates the winners from the losers, this is how you seperate yourselves from being the losingnest franchise of this decade. I agree the Lions need a strong running game to compliment the passing game, and it would take pressure off the recievers, Matthew, and the “O” line, hopefully the front office will be reminded of that at the next draft. HOWEVER, there are games left to play this season, and they are WINNABLE games, a winless Buffalo team, A Dallas team in admist Chaos, and fodder, a New England team that isn’t the same powerhouse they once were, and the rest of our division, there is no reason, no EXCUSE for this team to go 4-2, 5-1 the rest of the way, and gain respectability, NONE. If you guys need some inspiration go look at films from teams like Kansas City, Cleveland, and Oakland maybe you guys can learn a thing or two from them on how to turn a team around, on how to execute, and how to win! I’m just saying…….

95. By fattyboomboom on Nov 11, 2010 | Reply

Revis had u in his pocket my man, but take some heart he said u were the best he’s ever covered…keep at it

96. By Geo on Nov 11, 2010 | Reply

Don’t give up on us like Roy

97. By jonjay25 on Nov 11, 2010 | Reply

Com’on Team we are moving in the right direction but we nee to learn to close a team out!!! When we do that we will be a top rate team! Play with heart for your fellow brother and make each other look good.

98. By Joseph Durham on Nov 12, 2010 | Reply

4 1/2 minutes. An eternity in football. Because of lack of focus. Because of lack discipline. Because of lack of respect for the other team. The Lions lose.

Sunday, I lost all respect for this Lions team. I struggled through bad years. I seen this team quit before. But this time, I was embarrassed to be a Lions fan. I seen other great teams before play their butts off in the last 4 1/2 minutes for a come from behind win. Heck, I even seen the Lions set an NFL record for most points scored in the 4th quarter to win a game. But this Lions team… I’m embarrassed.

You guys don’t deserve a penny of the money you make! Donate the money you made last week to charity. At least somebody would benefit. You don’t deserve it!

99. By Michael M Daugherty on Nov 12, 2010 | Reply

The Lions have proved they can play with any team in the NFL,but lacks the ability to close the game with a win. the more you guys play together the ability to close the games will come! I still think moving Suh in different positions on the defensive line;this would force the other team’s offensive line to account for Suh on every down!! Putting Suh in different positions will cofuse their offensive line to make blocking mistakes which will help get more pressure on their QB and disrupt their running game!! If you don’t believe me, try it in practice!!!

100. By Mt Man on Nov 12, 2010 | Reply

Calvin Johnson is far too valuable for this team. Trade him to a team that can utilize his talents and just think of the impact players we could get in return. Getting the ball to Calvin is causing more pressure than its worth. If our running game keeps stalling, Calvin Johnson will only be a what if and stats never lie.

101. By maggie on Nov 12, 2010 | Reply

I watched Matt Ryan & Roddy White’s game winning touchdown last night and thought Matthew Stafford & Calvin Johnson will do the same thing time after time
    in the near future. We just have to be patient.

102. By matt d on Nov 13, 2010 | Reply

well MR megatron im with you on how hard that game IS to swollow down, you guys ALL played your asses off and came into that game with the right mindset and played better then them for 50+mins…either way that was last week, now to deal with this week and the bills…

103. By matt d on Nov 13, 2010 | Reply

P.S. yo CALVIN ill be in the stands in buff with that 81 lions jersey screaming for you guys like you were back in d-town… cant wait to get out to see u guys on a road game and well been out in NY now for 3 years so i havent got to see many of my lions games

104. By tuna on Nov 13, 2010 | Reply

It comes down to the fact that we need to learn to win!!!!!! All good teams have bad things happen to them in the course of a game but they beleive they can overcome mistakes and play harder then the otherguys. When this tean decides they will no longer accept losing wins will start. The fans have stood with you thru all these losing seasons, now its time to play to win and pay the fans back for there support through all those poor years. This team needs to step up and play for a full game and the wins will come. We have the talent, lets play to WIN!!!!!!!

105. By JKelly on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

It’s not your fault, Calvin. Detroit can beat anyone if you get rid of your play-caller. He SUCKS! Who can’t figure out that Det. will try to run early, even if it doesn’t work and then late 2nd qrt remember, “oh, yeah, Calvin Johnson is on our team, let’s throw to him”. They do the same at the end of the game. It’s amazing how the playbook opens at the end of games and not early. Why not try hurry-up early? Other teams do it. Anything but this stupidity from the coaches.

106. By J Kelly on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

Calvin, I love this team’s players but the play-calling STINKS! Are the coaches afraid someone will discover the good plays in the playbook? This “we gotta establish the run” crap is making the entire team suffer. You can’t establish the run with 80% run plays at the start of the game, especially the way your coaches do it. They keep trying holes that are clogged and the other team knows what you are doing. Example: Buffalo sends a safety blitz on 1st down because they know coach Swartz is not smart enough to pass on 1st down sometimes. As I see it the coaches cost Detroit 4 games. Even with the penaties, you guys could have won those games. Too many weapons are not being used. Mix up the pass and run and stop establishing a pattern that Stevie Wonder can see. Everybody that’s smart knows the Lions game plan. That’s why Shanahan lost to you all. He’s not smart enough to plan for it and he thinks he has a good team but doesn’t. Also, Calvin, DEMAND the ball when the game is on the line. If we lose, I’d rather see the ball come your way on the last play.

107. By Thomas on Nov 16, 2010 | Reply

YO, CJ!!! I love you man…I am proud you are a Lion. You are the Hermann Moore of the team now. I know it is frustrating to you. You are one of the reasons people pay their hard earned money to watch the Lions. Stafford and thr defense are another. I love watching the defense play. The way they can take over a game is phenomenal. The O=line leaves a lot to be desired. C’mon fellas Stafford needs more than 1-2 seconds to throw the ball. I also think Coach Linehan needs to scrap that shitty playbook. I know what the play is going to be before you even get to the line of scrimmage. Don’t you think the other teams coaches do too? I would love to see more passes come your way. You are a big threat, that is why teams double cover you. If Coach Linehan was smart he would see that would open up the offense a whole lot more. With you and Burleson on the outside there is no reason you 2 could not rule the field. I love watching Best run the ball too. He has the caliber to be the next Barry for the Lions. HEY COACH LINEHAN, STOP BEING SO AFRAID TO LET THE GUYS PLAY BALL. YOUR PLAY CALLING STINKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! COACH SCHWARTZ, SHOW YOUR PLAYERS YOU HAVE THEIR BACKS MORE OFTEN, DON’T BE AFRAID TO CHALLENGE, I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO SEE YOU A LOT MORE ANIMATED ON THE SIDELINES…I AM MORE ANIMATED IN MY LIVING ROOM THAN YOU ARE ON THE SIDELINES…I WISH I HAD YOUR SPOT….THERE WOULD NOT BE A DOUBT IN MY PLAYERS MINDS AS TO WHOM THEY WOULD WANT TO PLAY FOR…….CJ, IS THE RUMOR TRUE? ARE YOU LEAVING??? I SURE, SURE, SURE, HOPE NOT…………THANK YOU FOR LETTING ME RANT AND RAVE…….YOU ARE THE BEST………..I STILL BELIEVE!!!!!!!!!!

108. By Richisback on Dec 11, 2010 | Reply

How do you beat green bay just like DA bears did dont let up on the QB. Run him down and dont let him run with the ball thats all you need to do.