Hill to Start at Buffalo

Posted by Tara Altman on November 10, 2010 – 2:50 pm

Head Coach Jim Schwartz announced this afternoon following practice that “barring any set back this week,” QB Shaun Hill will be the starter against the Bills.

Hill fractured his forearm against the NY Giants prior to the Lions’ bye week and was inactive against the Redskins.

Schwartz on Hill’s injury: “He’s been cleared. He was in a position last week that we kept him active as our third quarterback. We dressed him as our third quarterback. He could hand off, he could do all those different things. He wasn’t really in a position to take a hit. But he can play with a cast and another week will be good for it. That will close him right in at four weeks. The doctors feel good about that. Shaun will be ready, barring any setbacks.”

Hill says that “everything feels fine,” and is looking forward to the opportunity.

Hill: “It feels good. I’m full-go. Last weekend I had a splint that went all the way into the palm of my hand and I had no wrist mobility in it until Sunday. Since I’ve gotten the wrist back, a lot of things have changed. It had more to do with finding out where we were and getting a different splint.”

62 Responses to “Hill to Start at Buffalo”

1. By U5 on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

Hill is starting? He’s not ready and once again, Stanton will miss an opportunity for any practice reps with the first team offense. I am not sure of the reasoning…maybe it is to avoid giving him a chance to show what he can do with proper preparation. That way they won’t look like such morons when they have to keep Hill next year and Stanton thrives with a different NFL team willing to give him a chance. Only a matter of time before he comes back to compete against Detroit and validates yet another in the long line of mistakes, made by the Lions.

2. By Jonas Turner on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

I am glad they are starting Hill. I think he’s a great backup QB. In the past, I felt like once the backup QB comes in…the game was over. This is the first season I have actually been excited about every game KNOWING we have a great chance in winning!! I wasn’t expecting a Superbowl season, but if we continue like we have been and keep improving and fixing the weak links…I would say Detroit Lions could easily be a Superbowl team within the next 2-3 years. :)

3. By Jerry VanDonkelaar on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

I think Drew Stanton should get the shot this week! He hasn’t been able to prove himself in the NFL yet… Shawn Hill is a really good QB but think of whats best for the lions in the future a young gun QB..

Mathew Stafford is a excellent QB but what does a weak QB with excellent skills do for us?

Jerry VanDonkelaar
    Fruitport MI

4. By Alex on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

its good to have you back Shaun hill. now lets go beat the Bills and end are away losing streak!!

5. By Paynskii on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

Just get the ball to Calvin like you have been doing. Establish the running game early. We have 2 good backs that need more work. Tight ends might be your key to victory.

Paynskii

6. By tony thacker on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

thank god for shawn hill being one of the best back up quarter backs that produce good things when behind center, thank god our defense is stepping up their game and gelling , thank god for a strong coaching and support staff people may be disgruntled by matt staffords injury but they forget how much the franchise has grown and moved forward the last 2 years. our back up quarterbacks are better than the last 5 quarter backs and the other coaching staff and the old general manager actually lions fans we will survive and be ok lets keep believing and maintain our faith for our detroit lions as they push forward to more wins. I have been a fan for 20 years and with my faith there is no sway or lack of confidence in my team or coaches just pure love for them never quitting ,given up,or taking plays off. thank you to all the players on the 53 man roster for giving every snap 110% and the coaching staff keeps you guys pumped and ready to devour the next team my name is tony thacker and i am a detroit lion and my family believes in you if you keep pushing we will keep the faith i promise. your most beloved fan.

7. By Julio on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

Drew Stanton needs to step up. We invested a 2nd round draft pick in him, either give him a chance or get rid of him. Im tired of seeing him on the sideline doing nothing. Lions fans will never embrace Shaun Hill.

8. By Kathy on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

Stanton doesn’t deserve to start. He is the third string QB for a reason. Hill is far more experienced and a better decision maker. If Hill is healthy enough, go beat Buffalo!

9. By Nick on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

You know he’s going to encounter a setback Sunday when he gets hit on that arm, or worse, falls and lands on it. Man for Pete’s sake, just play Stanton. I can’t stand to see another QB go down. Best of luck to Shaun Hill. Guys being rushed back from injury… why? To keep Stanton off the field? show the guy an inkling of confidence! I’m not a huge supporter of the guy, but man o man, he’s been with the team forever, he has to be worth a shot at some point…

10. By Nick on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

Speak for yourself Julio, but Shaun Hill did give us our first win of the season, and I’m glad we picked him up. I just don’t want to see another of our QBs re-injured due to lack of healing time. He’s a keeper in my book. any team would want him.

11. By terry putman on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

Sean u made a lot of fans in detroit regardless of the record! Detroit got sumthn right when they picked u up. Go lions!

12. By Sheryl Petefi on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

Hill? Seriously? And Drew Stanton is there for what reason again?? Pleeeese! Play the healthy guy. Stanton can handle it. You drafted him for a reason, now play him!!! Good God, how many dumb decisions are you guys gonna make in one season? Others are right. Stanton will end up being a star on some other team while Detroit wastes his time. PLAY THE MAN!!!

13. By Allen on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

Glad to hear Hill is back and ready to go. I believe Hill gives us the best shot to win this game. Start with running and mix in a few pass plays to make sure Hill is in rythym. I know we can get this road win and I look for our Lions to finish no worse then 7 and 9. Go Lions from a very devoted and long time fan.

14. By Frank on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

Drew Stanton is garbage. If he plays, we lose.

After this season is over, Shaun Hill will have more victories as a Lions Starting QB than Matthew Stafford.

15. By mitch on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

Stanton does NOT deserve to start. He’s been mediocre when he’s gotten his shots and hasn’t proven to anyone that he will be a star. Quit being naïve and placing your faith in a QB who had a semi-succesful college career. Shaun Hill has proven himself in the NFL and is the obvious second stringer. If the doctors have cleared him and he feels good, let him play.

16. By Jordan on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

man i’m sorry but some of you people are retartded staton started with prep and was horrible last year they benched him and put in culppeper and he wasn’t any better hill is the man he can move that offense and can make good decisions stanton is just getting a pay check like he has if he could do things he wouldn’t be 3rd string period. the coaches have to to a better job of clock management what happen last week was in terrible don’t let it happen again get some confidence this team is the shit so wake up and realize it and stafford look at drew brees he had the same injury grade 3 he got let go by the chargers no one thought he could come back he worked out with lats and military presses and still does and look at him now come back next year and use this as a learning tool about what you have to do don’t be a bust you have the talent so come back stronger than all!

17. By Dave Steenbergh on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

Well, here we go again!!! This is further miss management by the Lions. We seem to ruin every Quarterback one way or another. Stanton will be a good quarterback when he gets a team who will give him afair chance. I’ve been a season ticket holder for 17 years(I’m crazy, I know) and it just seems the msnagement doesn’t know what to do next !!!!!!!!
    Drew good luck in the future.

18. By rebobmi on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

I true believe Stanton should be given a chance. I think with his running ability he could add a another demension to the game!

19. By Jeff on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

Quit running up the middle. Our OLine has been doing good blocking for the pass, but they aren’t the best for running up the middle. Off tackle and outside the TE will be the key to our running success.

I’m not a fan of Stanton anymore. I’ve been impressed with Hill so far, but Stafford is our man. He’s only played in three games this year.

Left game one with a 14-3 lead.
    Won vs Washington.
    Left game eight with a 20-10 lead.

20. By Cody on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

What are some of you guys smoking? Stanton should not start, watch any game he has played in, Hill is the guy from here on out probably til the end of the year.

On another note:

Is anybody else concerned about our future at the QB position? Stafford can’t even play a whole season and gets injured on routine plays. We can’t sit around hoping “Ahh the next year will be the year where he doesn’t get injured.”

No question about it, Stafford can play and he’s the best QB we have, but an injury prone QB ain’t worth squat.

21. By Ric on Nov 10, 2010 | Reply

Stanton has had lots of chances. He is no more than a 3rd stringer. If he just runs instead of that stupid girly incomplete pass, the Lions use 40 more seconds and win the game last week. Schawrtz took the blame, but it was Stanton who blew the game.

22. By 44yearloser on Nov 11, 2010 | Reply

I still wish Lions had moved out of the first pick in 09. You have to take way to big a gamble on an unproven overpriced College Kid,Hey is Joey availible? Maybe Stafford has just become another Stoney Case or Rusty Hildger,Andre Ware, Chuck Long,Bob Gagliano Jeff Komlo,Rodney Pete,Scott Mitchell,Eric Hipple,Joe Fergusen(sorry Joe),Dave Kreig and so on and so on.

23. By Old Boy on Nov 11, 2010 | Reply

I don’t care who starts. Bills have the worst run D’s, we have a budding RB. Even if Stafford was starting I would be fairly dumbfounded if they weren’t close to 50-50 r/p ratio or higher run than pass. This the game to get our RBs some experience.

24. By dave on Nov 11, 2010 | Reply

I would like to know why the lions don’t use a pro form set with best and smith in the backfield, with those two coming out of the backfield to recieve passes, it may put a little bit more pressure on the defense and open it up a little more for Calvin, and the rest of the recieving corps. Or you could keep one back to pick up blitzes, you know, mix it up a little. Everytime they run the ball it seems to be out of a singleback set and if I can recognize this, I know the defensive coordinators of our opponents do.

25. By ryan on Nov 11, 2010 | Reply

I agree with a lot of you guys, I always thought that stanton could do something in this league I think he would do well with us, but shaun hill has done very well with us sence we signed him I think he will gives 4 or 5 more wins this year regardless what happens to stafford, we are facing the bills this week so I dont think it matters who we start cause we are going to beat the bills. I think shaun hilll is a good choice and a good qb so lets go lions!! and I think give us another year and we will be a playoff team and give stafford till next year and his bad luck will run out.

26. By detriot on Nov 11, 2010 | Reply

U5 GET A GRIP STANTON DOES NOT GIVE US THE BEST CHANCE TO WIN. READ JORDANS BLOG HE GETS IT. STOP BEING A FRICKIN BO BIRD. THIS TEAM HAS HAD ENOUGH NEGATIVETY. SORRY BUT THE COACHING STAFF SEES MORE THAN YOU DO AND THERE FORE KNOWS WHOS BEST TO START. DAVE THE FORMATIONS THEY RUN ARE FOR THE PISTOL TYPE FORMATION. THIS GIVES THEM GOOD MATCH UPS IN THE PASSING GAME. WITH CALVIN AND NATE. B JOHNSON’S POSTION SHOULD BE UPGRADED NEXT YEAR. DONT BE SUPRISED IF TOON GETS ON THE FIELD NEXT YEAR. HE IS A SPEED DEMON. I BELIEVE THE STAFF IS GET HIS TIMING AND BALL CONTROL BETTER BEFORE TURNING HIM LOOSE.SMITH IS ALSO STILL NOT 100%. HE CAN NOT GO EVERY DOWN. HE IS GETTING STRONGER EVERY WEEK THOUGH. DONT BE SUPRISED IF WE SEE THE PRO SET THOUGH BEFORE THE END OF THE YEAR..

27. By Ghost of Bobby Layne on Nov 11, 2010 | Reply

Believe it or not, the coaches know who the better QB is. I like Drew too, but he does not have NFL skill. I wonder if Kurt Warner would like to finish the season us? Anyone have his number? Matt has to bulk up in the off season and learn how to fall on some other part of his body than his throwing arm. How could a big league QB not know how to fall? A boxer does not lead with his chin. At last a great QB and he does not know how to fall. Bummer

28. By Prdvdsn on Nov 11, 2010 | Reply

The lions should get qb pat white formaly of miami dolphins he played for west Virgina university won 4 bowl game and got MVP in the senior bowl in 08 .that would be a very smart move on the lions part pat white would be an asset!!!!! Also he’s a dual thrat qb which will add a new demention to lions offense some one should notify coaching staff ASAP!!!!!

29. By Really on Nov 11, 2010 | Reply

Those who want Stanton to start over Hill, Really!!! They need to look at the body of work. Hill gives the best chance for a win.

30. By opie on Nov 11, 2010 | Reply

Lets look at the real issue here. We have an improved defense, a team that is competitive and we are scoring points. Whichever quarterback plays we cannot make the mistakes throughout the game to put us in a losing situation. Matthew Stafford seems to be injury prone, lets get a starting quarterback to go along with our million dollar quarterback that hasn’t played. This isn’t college anymore, I can’t see Drew being the leader and the motivator that is needed. One more thing, let’s make smart coaching decisions, like calling a timeout to let the backup kicker (which is quite funny) take a couple kicks on the sideline. This seems to only happen in Detroit. Opie

31. By U5 on Nov 11, 2010 | Reply

Jordan…apologize for the correction but Stanton had just one day of 1st team reps in prep for SanFran. Was he great…far from it but a QB doesn’t do it alone. Better team this year provides more opps for success..
    As for Hill…hope I am wrong but will be very surprised if he sees the 2nd half due to limitations or reinjury. Given the chance…Stanton will stay morning, nooon, and night to work with 1st team to prepare as no one can question his committment to succeed.
    detroit…what is a FRICKIN BO BIRD? Does anyone else know for that matter?
    Thx in advance for clarification

32. By hassan on Nov 11, 2010 | Reply

I think hill is way better than stanton, hes more physical and more experienced and lets not give up on the lions guys, I mean cmon i never enjoyed watching the lions play more than this year, you can see the change they tackle more the offense is stepping up and the defense, every year we use to say k well see next year and its always been the same until this year, they showed every team that its not gna be an easy win from now on, and look all these games we played this year , they were always close games, i think we waited for a long time to see em get better and now after we see the changes we can wait a lil more, and guys dnt forget season is not over yet, lions are showing best football, go lionsss

33. By Ghost of Bobby Layne on Nov 11, 2010 | Reply

Hang in there Lions fans. We are making progress. We have the offensive line we need and defensive line. We need to work on the secondary and find the golden QB like I was when I played in the 50s. Sure I played with a hang over a lot but by golly we won some games. If Matt can toughen up his sholders and upper body he will be as good as I was. He went to my high school you know.

34. By james on Nov 11, 2010 | Reply

Stanton has one fundamental unfixable problem that will keep
    him from being successful in NFL… his arms are too long. That
    simple…too long to wind up. in need of a short armed gun slinger.

35. By rich weiner on Nov 12, 2010 | Reply

if we cannot beat Buffalo and get a road win for a change, I don’t know when it will ever happen. Hill did a good job when he was in there. The defense must turn it up a notch and not make any bonehead mistakes as they have been doing. PLAY SMART FOOTBALL.

36. By barry on Nov 12, 2010 | Reply

Have faith there Lions fans. I personally know Shaun and he just needs a chance to start more than just a game here and there. he’ll stay calm and make the right desicions. He says he’s healthy, believe him. Good luck man show ‘em how it’s done.

37. By swit on Nov 12, 2010 | Reply

All you sunday QB think you know it all as far as Matt goes you take a hit like he did see if you even live thru it.he was not ready to return that just shows that detroit coaches have 0 faith in stanton..
    GO LIONS

38. By Edward Huffmaster on Nov 12, 2010 | Reply

..Well it’s that time of the year for the Lions again, they have to play Hill because they are in a race for the 1st pick in the draft and you can’t let the 0 and 8 Bill’s loose to ya, so put the banged up QB in there and no one will question why ya lost to a worst team, plus you prevent Stanton from getting hurt, ya see, Stanton is the QB of the future and as soon as the Lions have a great O-line to protect him they will start him. Don’t worry Lion’s fans, were not going to let teams like the Cowboys sneak in there and steal the number one pick from us,..don’t forget the Lion’s have been doing this for a long long time and they are the best loser’s i’ve ever seen. I know they might never be 0-16 again, but we can dream can’t we ! Oh, wait a second, they are going to add 2 more game to the season,..cool, maybe the LIONS can make NFL history and go 0-18 wouldn’t that be neat, just think how much they could make off the sale of T-Shirts, i can see it now, 0-16 and 0-18 TWO TIME Losers .

39. By BILLO313 on Nov 12, 2010 | Reply

i have more faith in HILL!!! C’mon… he has proven himself as far as im concerned. Stanton just never gets it done. but either way, whichever one does play… WE BETTA START WINNING!!

40. By Court on Nov 12, 2010 | Reply

I’m so glad Shaun in starting this Sunday. With Jason and Matt hurt (hopefully Jason might be able to play on Sunday. Crossing fingers), having Shaun back will help. He obviously knows how to lead the team and get wins. I would like see Drew become better though, because obviously there’s been some points in the season where he’s had to come in. But, I remember when he came in after Shaun got hurt, and he and Calvin scored that touchdown. That was awesome! But, I was at the game against the Jets, and was very heartbroken that they did’nt pull it off – they easily could’ve. But, I think Shaun will lead us to a win this Sunday just like Matt did in his first game back! Love my Lions! :)

41. By hassan on Nov 12, 2010 | Reply

i totally agree with u i think hill is good for it, at least compared to john kitna he is way better, he’s more experienced and i think we will win more games this season is not over yet, great defense we have im not worried at all

42. By ben on Nov 12, 2010 | Reply

come on people stanton barely played against the jets after stafford got hurt he stayed in stanton only got one or two drives and stanton hasnt gotten a chance yet hes only played in 2 regular season games and they were this year and in one he didnt have enough time in to save the game i know more about the lions than most adult lions fans. look what stanton did against the giants he did better than shaun hill did his first whole game with the lions and stanton didnt even play the whole game start stanton and even if we dont win against the bills after stanton starts this game hell get better he just needs a chance with more expierence he could be better than stafford the only reason he isnt is hes not calm in the pocket but with a few starts under his belt hell show everyone that he can play and be a starter in this league right now hes a never been used brand new bike thats collecting dust

43. By AJ on Nov 12, 2010 | Reply

GO SPARTANS

44. By Ghost of Bobby Layne on Nov 12, 2010 | Reply

Drew just needs some experience and confidence. I was dissapointed that we didn’t try more passes to Cavin. We had one pass for 13 yards and that was it. Ya gotta keep going to him and he will break a couple for a TD. What the heck do we have to lose.

I just hope the guys don’t think this is a push over game. The Bills are as hungry as we are.

45. By matt on Nov 12, 2010 | Reply

stanton has been mediocre. Thats mediocre compared to horrible like the rest of the team at the time last year when he played. Great players shine when theres a foundation of hard working football players. He has the drive to do it. Stafford may not be our franchise quarterback if things go the way they are so whats the point of starting shaun hill just to get one more not so sure victory over buffalo bills and lose him by the time the team is decent enough to make the playoffs when you could start stanton, still have a not so sure chance of winning and giving a young quarterback experience in case stafford never makes it

46. By Savage49er on Nov 13, 2010 | Reply

I’m a 49ers fan but I’m still rooting for Shaun Hill. He was good for us and had a winning record which is what mattered most. The organization was stupid to get rid of him and go with Alex Smith and David Carr as a backup. I’d take Shaun over either one! Go Lions! Go Shaun!

47. By Larry on Nov 13, 2010 | Reply

Drew Stanton did a nice job for the Spartans but he needs to improve his throwing accuracy to make it in the NFL. He has the physical toughness and size to get it done. I just wish he had Stafford’s passing skills or Stafford had Stanton’s toughness and running ability.

By the way, I count the Lions as having won an away game already this year. I watched the Bears game in a Chicago bar and was the only one rooting for Detroit. They all said “we’re Bear fans, but that was a touchdown.” That and last weeks game makes one wonder if the Football Gods have something against us.

48. By gibby on Nov 13, 2010 | Reply

The lions are better than they have been in a long time!! If Hill doesn’t break his arm i think they should have kept him as the starter! Stafford is an awsome but YOUNG QB. Ithink he needs to play behind a VET for a while. Look at Rodgers, learn the NFL This isn’t college no more. These are the big boys. He is going to take shots from time to time. Heneeds to learn how to go down. Watch a bit of tape, when he goes down he rolls to his shoulder. That keeps happening he will always be hurt. That being said i hope Hill tears up the BILLS. Our defence, my hat is off to you. OUR defensive line is a bunch of blood thirsty animals. Gain the confidence that you are GONNA win and the LIONS (YEAH LIONS!!) WILL BE A DOMINANT TEAM! Meanwhile look for another QB Stanton is NOT who we need. VICK goes free agent next year (just saying)

49. By Corn Bread - Blah! on Nov 13, 2010 | Reply

Stanton should start – 2 reasons – #1: Hill’s still not 100% and you already know what you have with him – a capable backup to your fragile china doll 72 million dollar franchise QB – and you will need him again, guaranteed. #2: He’s young, he needs the experience and you, the franchise – regardless of who was making the mistakes at the time – spent a 2nd round pick on this guy – period. While I believe that this team is making progress ( I mean, they were 0-16, right?) people need to realize just how far away they still are. They have no running game at all – guard and center are not even 2nd string quality on other teams ( a lot of offensive line help at #20 in the 2009 draft – just saying) , Best is too small to run between the tackles – big issue in the NFL and big reach to trade up for a a player who’s not even close to an every down back. Kevin Smith is just not an NFL back – period. QB has a durability issue – big concern for such a high pick. ( 1st overall – just a reminder) Pettigrew – (20th overall – just a reminder) – drops more balls than he catches. Calvin Johnson – as freakish of a potential talent as he is – never seems to create much separation on routes, even in one on one matchups – and takes some pretty big hits as a result. Defensive line looks pretty good when they’re not playing the Jets, the Packers, the Giants, or the Vikings – no depth and one injury away from being below average. The jury is still out on Levy in the middle because the guy has been out more than in – just another durability issue to be concerned about (we won’t talk about the three middle linebackers that were available at number 20 in the 2009 draft) I think Speivey will turn out to be a good pick and a sleeper at Safety – even a blind squirrel can find a nut, right? Nice start for him. Just turn on any other game on Sunday – watch the team that loses, and compare them to the Lions and you will realize just how far away this team is to winning on a consistent basis.

50. By RLM on Nov 13, 2010 | Reply

Let’s hope Backus doesn’t get another notch in his belt and get Hill hurt again. The lions will never win until they get a left tackle and a center. They also need defensive secondary help, then they will be more competitive than they have become this year. I hope they can keep up their enthusiasm the entire year. I’ve been a lifelong fan, but after Millen ruined the franchise, it will take more time to erase his blunders. Go Lions!!!

51. By U5 on Nov 13, 2010 | Reply

Hassan….you think Hill is more physical than Stanton? Have you seen them side by side in street clothes? Stanton is built more like a linebacker…Hill looks like a pudgy, middle aged fan. I think Hill is a decent QB with lots of experience whcih makes him a safe choice…hope he stays healthy. But more physical than Stanton…that is laughable! Sorry!

52. By U5 on Nov 13, 2010 | Reply

Ric…Stanton blew the game? Never played QB have you?
    1st rule…man open throw ecause tackles are missed (you know that…you watch Detroit D). Also…put pass where IT CANNOT BE INTERCEPTED!
    Let’s face it…Stanton was in for 3 plays and he blew the game? Peterson’s penalty and a terrible play in OT by secondary and Stanton b lew the game? Ryan out coached Swartz in spades! Loaded the D as they knew they were going to boot leg Stanton…hello?
    Swartz took the blame becasue he should have…he made poor decisions throughout the game (un prepped Suh kicking PA…call time out and give him some reps. This is 101…for most. Scary part is this is the best coach that we’ve had in years!
    No bigger Lions fan than me but if we are going to get into the bame game…we need to be accurate and not keep blaming Stanton every chance we get

53. By Bill Mi on Nov 14, 2010 | Reply

Well here we are in November and the Lions are done again..truly the football gods hate the Lions…well nothing but pride to play for now,but that’s a pretty good reason I think…GO LIONS!!

54. By John on Nov 14, 2010 | Reply

Need to quit worring about the Q-back and start worring about the offencive line. If Stafford or Hill are getting sacked more than once a game it’s time to look at the line. The top 5 teams in the league, such as the Colts, New England ect. average only 1 sack per game. It’s either get rid of the ball quicker or get some offencive linemen with a few #1 picks.

55. By J.T. on Nov 14, 2010 | Reply

Not only are we full of bad players but this is a team full of bitch ass men.

56. By Ghost of Bobby Layne on Nov 14, 2010 | Reply

What does bitch ass men, mean?

We need to use the rest of the season just to give Drew Stanton experience.

This is just pathetic.

57. By Mad as Heck on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

Three things need to happen next off season:

1. Replace entire offensive line (except for sims) LT and C are most important to replace. They are old and suck anyhow.
    2. One solid CB.
    3. One solid Back up QB. If you get rid of Blobcus at LT then we wont have Stafford hurt.

58. By Ghost of Bobby Layne on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

I agree with Ben. Stanton needs to play and gain experience. We have to write off the season, give him the opportunity to grow in the league, and get another great draft pick. Mellien took a mediocre franchise and drove it into the ground. It will take several years to overcome his incompetence. Why is he on TV by the way? I cringe whenever I see his ugly mug.

59. By U5 on Nov 16, 2010 | Reply

Stanton will never play for Ions at this point other than a last resort. They know what they have and more importantly who they don’t have. They have an aging line that can’t protect a young pre Madonna who has never had to play behind anything but great protection, falls down and goes boom on a regular basis. He won’t put the time into the weight room because he doesn’t have to…he already has $41M and no committment to a team or winning! And don’t talk to me about the Cleveland game where he went in and passed for a 2 yd TD…if he’d had pressurw he would have launched it so there was no heroics. Can he play…yep when it suits him but he doesn’t have the toughness or work ethic to makew it with the Lions
    Stanton offered that but he was a Millen guy so heaven forbid he succeed! He played under a worthless coach at MSU and still holds the completion record for 60+ percent for those who say he can’t throw accurately. He just needs time! He works his butt off regardless of how he is treated and that will be evident when he returns to Detroit with another team and I hope he smokes them! He is done with his contract after this year and I applaud Drew for the way he has handled himself. Not one snap at Buffalo when I hear it was obvious the play calling was pathetic and looked to be primarily focused atprotecting Hill, as a result…he Lions never were a real threat. Amazing…one of the worst run Ds in the league and you want to put that all on the line…QB has to be a multi threat…hand offs and short dump passes only are not gonna do it! 40 year Lions fan and I am at my wits end! This is not poor coaching…this is coaching/management egos on parade!

60. By Ghost of Bobby Layne on Nov 16, 2010 | Reply

Well U5, those are some might harsh words.But I hear your pain and anger and disappointment. I have been a Lion fan for 50+ years. It will take a a few more years to have a winning franchise. Sadly, I have tickets for the Bears game. I will have to wait to see if I want to drive across the state from Spring Lake to Detroit to be humiliated. Again.

61. By Seth on Nov 16, 2010 | Reply

bring in hill tye hill that is he runs 4:30 40 thats flying and was a frist round pic in 06

62. By Baxter on Nov 17, 2010 | Reply

I have plenty of faith in HIll. He can win us games, but all we have to do is avoid penalties and we will do just fine. I know it might sound a little crazy, but with a couple of Greenbay and Chicago loses, and we can have a chance at the playoffs. We need to WIN WIN WIN!!