Johnson: “That 14-point swing turned the whole game around”

Posted by Tara Altman on November 22, 2010 – 5:11 pm

“Shoot, I think it was going into halftime we were right in the game, it was just a series of bad events that happened for us in about a five minute spread. We had a turnover, they scored, we get the ball, we punt and had a good play down on the goal line to keep the ball out of the end zone, but they had a guy right there to scoop it in, run down the sideline and score with it. That 14-point swing turned the whole game around.

“When you look at every game, there’s always some event of plays that went down and changed the whole course of the game, so you can say that there’s always something, but it really doesn’t mean anything until we start winning.

“One good thing that I noticed is that when we were down inside the five-yard line, we moved the ball out to midfield, we had to punt it off, but fortunately we were able to get the ball and get the defense in good field position there. The times that we moved the ball well was off of big plays. Usually when we get a big play in the passing game we usually go down and score and that’s been the thing for us this season. We have to stick to that somehow.

“Obviously we have to forget the Dallas game. We’re going to get some film in today, have some kind practice – walk through or jog through out there and get ready for the Patriots. They’re a tough team, they’re smart team, they don’t beat themselves, so that’s one thing that we cannot do if we want to compete.

“It’s tough to put it behind you, especially when you’ve got consecutive losses. It starts to pile on and it’s tough, but I mean that’s our job. We have to move forward, we have to win. If we don’t win, guys aren’t going to be here too long.

Posted in Calvin Johnson Blog | 93 Comments »

93 Responses to “Johnson: “That 14-point swing turned the whole game around””

1. By michael venuto on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

yeah those points were bad. but no even close to as bad as all the penalties that the team keeps taking. look around the league all the teams that are at the bottom take all kinds of penalties….pretty much if you can’t stop taking penalties good luck ever winning any games and p.s. cut peterman he is rotten. sign someone from the practice squad.the discipline on this team is just pitiful!!!!!

2. By Pantera Aly on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

keep up the fight calvin we need you bro get stafford to hit the weight room hard build them shoulders up and were is the discipline with the penalties?

3. By Silver&"BLUE" on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

I, and I am sure every other die hard lion’s fan agrees, would love to see a Thangsgiving day victory this year. I don’t care how many wins you guys have right now, cause i can see a real difference in the way you guys are playing. Keep workin hard and it will happen. besides I have always been a lions fan and I am used to losses, even when we had Barry in the backfield (best running back of all time) we lost. Just dont give up, that is what Detroit is all about. You might get knocked down but you get back up, no matter what. Just do me a favor, for christmas this year, deliver us all a Thanksgiving day victory here in D-Town. Stuff that ball so far down Tom Brady’s throat he wishes he never went to U of M., or at least tell him to get a hair cut when you see him. Peace out…………..GO LIONS!!!!!

4. By Eddie on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Keep up the hard work Calvin!! We appreciate you and the guys who are out there playing hard trying to produce a winning football team. Almost there!!

5. By Ghost of Bobby Layne on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

We have a good coach. We can’t fire him. We may need a new offensive coach. Who calls the plays? We need to see how stafford bounces back. If he does not get it by next season we have to redraft. Who is it, Cal norton, he is good and of course Vick is a free agent next year. I think the OL is ok. The secondary needs some improvement. We cant do anything about the ownership but we can do something about the coaching staff. But again I think the head coach is worth keeping.

6. By Danny on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

We have a good head coach? You cant be serious. Ive defended Schwartz the whole year, but after the past 3 weeks, there cant be any argument. He should of went for it on 4th and inches at midfield in the first half, and I was hoping to see a fake punt or maybe on-side kick at sometime, to try something to actually win the game. Instead he plays it safe everytime, and the same players commit the same penalties. You take away Corey Williams encroachment and Petermans block in the back, then it very well could of 19-0 at the half. Thats where the game was lost IMO. Yeah some bad things happened in the second half, but we outplayed them in the first only to gain a whopping 3 point lead. I think Schwartz should finish the year, and I personally like him and would like to see him as our coach for years to come. But if there is an established veteran head coach available next year, then Mayhew would be crazy not to consider a change.

7. By blair doty on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

boy…..this is hard…30 years of hope without results….well i for one dont think we will get consecutive wins without a running game…and that has to start at the o-line…stopping four or five guys and spreading them out or pinching them in…then you need a decent back…weve had some of those…also you need a convincing pass game which starts …yup at the o-line…then you need receivers (got those)…and a decent qb…(had a couple…) and i believe our defense is close…big plays being the achillies heel…stopping big plays happens in the secondary…lb’s cb’s safeties…need a little help there..im saying get two great linemen a couple solid lb’s another good corner and we are looking at being bona fide contenders any day of the year including in february…so come on already stop the bs penalties…learn about running the ball consistantly and beef up the secondary….if ya have too look at what teams like pitsburg and the saints do….give me and hundreds of thousands of lions die hards what we need to continue to buy your gear …watch your games….and spread the hype… help us keep hope …fix the dang offensive line…or wreck some more qb’s and start thinking of a new home cause we die hards are gettin tired of carrying this weight…responses welcome at i9racefan9@aol.com

8. By Ghost of Bobby Layne on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

We can’t keep firing and hiring coaches. We need some continuity and growth at the head coach position. This guy can grow in the position. He is the best we have had in many decades. Assistant coaches are a different situation. But as I’ve said in other posts, it will take a lot longer than a few years to transform the franchise. The Fords are not going to sell so we have to see how the current GM will work out and the draft and trades go. Life is a learning experience.

9. By mike cole on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

THIS SEASON STARTING WITH THE FIRST GAME AT CHICAGO WE SEEM TO BE TAKING A BEATING BY THE STRIPED TEAM ON THE FIELD. I KNOW SOME PENALTIES ARE WARRANTED BUT MANY AREN’T. CONSTANTLY YOU SEE HOLDING BY BOTH TEAMS BUT ONLY THE LIONS DRAW THE FLAG WHY, WHY, WHY, N.F.L.. WILL SOMEONE IN THE LEAGUE OFFICE PLEASE GIVE OUR LIONS A FAIR SHAKE. I SEE A TON OF IMPROVEMENT THIS YEAR SO HANG IN THERE AND GO LIONS.

10. By Ryan on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Calvin please don’t leave Detroit

11. By James on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

I agree Jim Schwartz is a good coach and its a darn shame that Lions fans have already given up on him just b/c he’s learning the job on the fly.

He’s slowly turning the Lions around and its unfortunate that our major injuries has paused the progress we’ve made to become a force in this league for many years to come. I do believe the Lions will officially become a good team once we can get Stafford or a good healthy quarterback on that field. We need to rebuild the o-line and build the defense around Suh. Somebody said it before a few weeks ago but Albert Haynesworth playing next to Suh might work if they can pick him up next season.

12. By billy on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

I think if Hill would put the ball up to more offten we can win some games. You know what you need is a real QB

13. By domenico on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Calvin, you are a Lion. I hear Lions are jinxed ever since the let someone go 50 years ago… you said it best “there is always something.” I have a feeling you are correct. The QB situation has me concerned the most… Remember Reggie Ball? You are getting “Reggied” friend. Stafford is injury prone… find a new team. The Lions will be fine with Burelson… and they can get Hankerson out of Miami, or another WR… you need to go to a team with a STRONG and STABBLE QB to reach your max potential… If you stay a Lion and sign a lengthy contract there, I will say you are the GREATEST TEAM player THAT EVER LIVED. However, if you want to be the GREATEST WR and WIN the SUPER BOWL… find a team that’s got a QB!!!!

14. By domenico on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

For those that think STAFFORD is a real QB… you are correct, if he doesn’t get hit… considering our vulnerabiliy at OL… that will never happen. Be prepared to see Stafford on IR through out his contract…

15. By samuel ballard on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

its like said we will be in the supper bowl in three years YES i said it. we need to stop shooting our self with the bull@@@@.we got the best coaches we gotvery good players we need to get stafford back i stay in dallas. i went to the game if not for that 3-4min strech we had a chance. to my detroit family we are on the right track. yall keep your head up thing are moving in the right way stop with all the penalties let me say it again stop with all the penalties

16. By S.J.D on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Peterman is a large reason to why our OL needs work… he is the most penalized offensive lineman in the entire league.. too many of which have been personal fouls costing us big gains…. changing up some of these linemen and getting some good free agents signed is all it will take to get a better run game…

17. By Ricky Bobby on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Hey Ghost, you are right that Cal Norton guy really is a “Magic man”

18. By jon lesnieski on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Well
    what to say bout our team we call the detroit lions first off I am tired of disapbointing seasons but it won’t change who I like the lions will always be my team we have a lot of young players and talent and the penalties our team has collected this year is redicoulious if you ask me they need to get there head in the game and stop doing the same thing over and over and over again and it is the same players time after time so we should prolly do something bout that there is no excuse for it and also we need a healthy qb stafford is great when he is healthy but his injuries in the past 2 years haven’t given him the experience he needs to be great he big and good but fragile we have many weapons on our offence and need to use them or get an offencive coordinator that sees this and put our players I mean look at our tide ends and receivers they got talent and speed and best is good at catching and running but he needs a ol to back him up he can’t do it on his own he is very explosive and our defence is actualy lyt pretty tough but we do need to work on the secondary in my opinion they need to put dre bly in but that’s my opinion we need to finish games that’s for sure we can be a great team its just takes everyone to be on the same page and play as a team that is proud of who they are

19. By Duke Fakir Jr. on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

We just need to learn how to finish games… And put teams away. Go Lions! I like this team, the coaches… Etc. Finish Them!!

20. By hurting fan on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Being a fan for 50 or so years my doctor warned me to stop watching due to blood pressure. Can we please get a stable QB and a coach who isnt a cooridinator. Cower or Gruden would be great. Referees should be fired or fined. These guys cant see 2 inches in front of them..Take money away for bad calls and I bet we start seeing games being called better and more consistant.

21. By Ralph on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

Jim Schwartz is a good coach, I don’t know see any other coach that’s good. We need to stick with Jim Schwartz, so we can grow with him because one day the Lions will turn around into a whole new team

22. By Ralph on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

When you have the lead in any game, you got to keep the momentum swing in your position. Don’t ever let a team take it from you.

23. By lionmike on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

GHOST OF BOBBY LANE – I can’t believe you said our OL is ok. You totally discredit yourself with comments like that. Sure there are less sacks this year, but lets look at the facts….2 shoulder injuries, 1 broken forearm, 2 good RB”s and no yards to show for it, one dimensional offense due to lack of run game – due to lack of blocking. There is a reason we are averaging 6-7 yds per catch this year instead of 10-12. We have CJ and against Dallas he averaged what, 6 yds a catch? It’s because we have to throw short routes because we have no blocking. I’m tired of hearing fans say SOL – Same Old Lions yet as fans people turn around and give our no-blocking, undersized, overmatched, chronic penalty o line a free pass! Sims should stay as well as Gos and the other 3 need to go. They wouldn’t make most NFL rosters as backups, yet they are staples to our line and supposed to protect our $72 million QB??? GIVE ME A BREAK. And Schwartz can’t hold the players accountable because he has single handed cost us 2 games himself with poor play calliing. I’m not saying fire Schwartz just yet, but it’s win or go home next year for him. If he comes back with the same swiss cheese oline and big talking midget Riola as a center, he deserves to be fired. Would you bet your HC career on Backus, Riola and Peterman? I sure hope not…

24. By YBARRYY??? on Nov 22, 2010 | Reply

We are probably going to have ANOTHER top 3 pick this year. 1. CB – Peterson 2. Move back into 1st and get Pouncy. 3. OLB 4th round on draft best lineman available (offense or defense). Stop picking skill players with every draft pick and build a flipping line already! Pick up an OLB in free agency or via trade and we will be much improved. WIth 2nd year player Fox at LT and Pouncy at Center and move Backus to RG our line will be 10 times better than it is now. Backus has good blocking skills, once he engages. The problem is getting beat by speed rushers. He won’t face that as an interior lineman. Maybe then we will be able to protect our QB, run the ball for more than 3 yds per carry and with a few new OLB’s we might stop some runs as well. Peterson is a shutdown CB, Houston and Smith have both played well enough to come back next year (not sure if they want to though). Spievey and Delmas in the Safety spots should be a pretty solid secondary. If we could establish the OLine and Secondary this year, we can focus on upgrading starters one position at a time and more importantly start adding depth. Not that injuries decimate us every year or anything.

25. By david on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

So true Calvin..I was at the game and sat in Sec 143 with your family..i spoke briefly with your sister…Its the mental part of the game thats killing us..non action penalties like offsides, encroachments, illegal procedure…and then after the play penalites like unnecessary roughness..Schwartz needs to do a better job preparing you all mentally for the game..we are not losing because of talent

26. By chuck on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

this team was going to lose this game. there’s no two plays that cost them the game. when they lost to buffalo and dallas man-handled ny to show they turned it around there was no way dallas would let a sorry team like detroit come in and beat them.they aren’t that good. and come thursday they’re going to get man-handled by new england. i’m guessing something like 44-13.

27. By Razor30 on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

I don’t know when Stafford will be coming back. I been hearing people saying they should play Stanton and instead of Hill. no offense but I don’t want to see Drew back on the field for the year, he sucks. if there is one QB we need to give a chance is, Zac Robinson. just to see what the kid has got.

28. By Mac on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Stay the course Calvin. We live in a “instant gratification” era and sad to say we all want to win and never lose. The culture in Detroit is turning, is it turning at the pace I as a fan would like. No, but that doesn’t mean that I am going to scream to high heaven to fire everyone. The Lions will win as like I have said before if the Saints can turn their entire organization around and win the SB why can’t one of the oldest franchises in the NFL do it? Our team is good, record aside…..mental mistakes like david stated where and are what is killing this team. When bad stuff happens out there (and it will because of what team you are on) there needs to be some leadership out on the field that doesn’t let you take the air out of your balloon. This team needs constant fire and needs to just bury teams when they leads. Running up the score be damned! The Lions can put points on the board, that is proven this season, just keep doing it after you score and bury teams. That is the only way this team turns around. Go out there and beat NE’s ass on Thursday as if Cleveland can do it so can Detroit. I for one am tired of my team losing on Thanksgiving to a national audience (our one nationally televised game every year). At least do that. GO LIONS!

29. By Chris on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

I’m going to be sad to see Calvin Johnson go. I mean it’s still mid-season, and early to start giving up…..but I’m use to it now. It’s always nice to see good players want to be with the Detroit Lions like Vandenbosch and Burleson, but remember Larry Foote. He’s a decent player that left the Steelers who’re always in superbowl contention to help the Lions. He got sick of losing after 1 season. How long is it gonna take the other guys. The Lions are cursed. I’m a huge Lions fan and will be til my dying day. But I’m losing any ability to be optimistic. Until this team completely forgets what organization they’re playing for, we’re not going to see the playoffs.

30. By Chris on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

One more thing. I’m sick of the…..’it was this, it was that, we’re rebuilding’ junk. Here it is…..plain and simple……..it’s a mindset. I want a Detroit Lion to step up and say at the beginning of the season or before any game that WE WILL WIN. AND MEAN IT!!! And we do need a good quarterback who can stay on the field week after week. I like Stafford, but DAMN! This isn’t flag football. You’re gonna get hit and if you get injured time after time…..find an office job. Most fans have to pay to watch the game. He got paid A TON of money just to be a fan.

31. By Rick on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

I CANT IMAGINE THE WAY A FIRST ROUND PICK FEELS WHEN THEY ARE THE PICK OF THE LIONS! OH MY I AM A MILLIONAIRE, BUT I WILL NEVER EXPEREINCE A WINNING SEASON

32. By Rick on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

LIONS FANS, WE NEED TO START THE WORD ABOUT FINING THESE PLAYERS WHEN THEY COMMITT A FOUL ARE GET PENALIZED, START IT OFF AT $50,000 A FLAG, THEN $25,000 INCREASE FOR EVERY FLAG AFTER THAT, WATCH THE PENALTY’S DROP,,

33. By Bill Mi on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

What’s really sad is we let Kitna get a rushing touchdown..are you kidding me!! He also drove 99 yards against us.It’s like a kick in the nuts.And now we got the Pat’s…well maybe they’ll interupt the game with the “Heidi” movie and save us the embarrassment…

34. By BILLO313 on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

i wont try to explain the losses. thats been done since i was born. i just cant understand how a PROFESSIONAL SPORTS TEAM can repeatedly look so subpar week in and week out. penalties, mistakes, injuries, flukes, etc. whatever. we lost. i dont care if its only by one. we lost. i will always be a die-hard fan… but somethings gotta give!! you guys can hang with ANY team in this league. i dont know why we cant just come out and dominate. like the st. louis game!! NOBODY takes us seriously in this league. i guess im just venting, but the sh!t is really sad anymore. Calvin, you are one of the few brightspots on the team. i hope to keep you around for years to come. as for peterman… ive seen little league games that end with less penalties!!! we need a stout Oline! good luck with the rest of the season. although i wont go out of my way to watch.

35. By Edward Huffmaster on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

…Same old excuses, like i’ve said so many times before, i’ve been following the Lions ever sense the late 50′s and it’s the same thing year after year, oh yeah you can trough a 9 and 7 year in there every once in a great while, but then it’s right back to the same old Lions, it seems like they never have a complete team, right now we have some great receivers but by the time we get a good O-Line the the QB will be DEAD ! (lol) and we will need another one of those or the receivers will have moved on, and the running backs will be all banged up (Smith is done again for the year) and Best isn’t far behind him. I do like the coach but he needs some better assistants, as far as Matt Stafford goes i do like his talent but he won’t last,.. maybe 3 more games next year but that will be it so the Lions better draft another Franchise QB this year with the NUMBER 2 PICK !! and then draft some O-Line men. Hey CJ , good luck this week i hope you get a couple of long TD’s

36. By dick on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

When you keep losing game after game, year after year. I believe the team laks motivation and good coaching. Look at Green Bay , they were torn apart with injuries and yet are having a great season. Look at Dallas they fire their coach and win th next two games. MOTIVATION, and using players that want to give 200% and win. I dont buy this stuff of giving Swartz and his coaching staff several years to produce a contender. PaTIENCE IS RUNNING THIN1111

37. By sgtblood2000 on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Schwartz IS a GOOD coach. Calvin the talk of “we can’t beat ourselves if we wanna compete” should read. We can’t beat ourselves if we want to WIN. When the Lions change that mentality then well maybe we’ll turn this ship around. You can’t win if you’ve already beaten yourself.

38. By Nick on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

It’s simple. If you look at the Lions’ roster over the past 3 -5 years, you can easily point out one thing. NO CONSISTANCY! We move players in and out too quickly. The new management and coaches are playing a lot of younger players to let them learn and grow into the positions. We will improve and are on the right track, this team is exciting, it’s like Calvin said…Big plays we have to stop. My biggest fear being a lions fan is this…losing Calvin Johnson because of losing. Calvin, if you read this man, please stay, we are improving on the field, it just hasn’t resulted in W’s yet, but it will…

39. By Danny on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

I agree that Schwartz can be good and that some continuity is what we need. But if theres an experienced candidate out there like a Cowher or Gruden whos willing to come here? I live with getting outplayed by other teams, but im tired of seeing them play it safe constantly especially on the road. Between that and the penalties that arent being addressed, I say Schwartz needs to take action.

40. By Ghost of Bobby Layne on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

It is difficult to understand why professional players and coaches can’t get a handle on penalties.

41. By shane lemcool on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

out of all the blog posts and comments i have seen i have seen fans so willing to quit or give up i agree 100% with ghosts of bobby lane we need continued growth some imporvement on the o line peterman and my own personal opinion raiola is bum corey williams needs to get his timing down he is a very high calibur DT ndamakung suh is a beast probowl bound for sure the secondary is a vast improvement of years past yes i do believe that 1 maybe 2 mor people back there in the LBS and SEcondary will help that o line is jus okay and we got the wide outs and running backs stafford does need to bounce back and stay healthy i will say this he is becoming a growing concern i agree with the vivk idea he is a free agent this offseason bring him in in case stafford is to soft to handle the job and for petes sake give us a o line that is solid and dependable this penalty crap is a bit ridiculous the same dam penalties every week and CJ u do boss on the field please stay we need u more then anything else i have seen to many teams the star of the team get tired of non improvement and leave for a team that he can reach the promise land with CJ u are the best thing to come to motown since herman moore and barry sanders we need u to stay strong and believe in your team we believe in you bro and it is very obvious that u are one of if not the best reciever in the league okay mayhew lets fix this theses boys are hungry get rid of peterman and that other douche bag on the o line get some hard core prven veterans to replace them bring sammie hill along because it is obvious he is williams replacement when he is ready hell no dont get rid of the off cord linehan is doing a hgood job it is in the execution even gunther has the defense humming and yes schwartz is the best coach we have ever had and that includes wayne fontes to u see how animated and passionate he i about this team u dont find that in jus okay coaches they did away with matt whats his name and they have a solid front office now be patient and let them do there job schwartz is in the second year of his contract so relax it is obvious they will not make the playoffs this season but i am willing to bet next year will be a totally different story one more draft one more free agancy and hopefully getting vick in blue and silver and we will contend with any of them out there now lets put our heads down and go kick some patriot ass

42. By domenico on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

CJ… sign a deal elsewhere… The lions can take AJ GREEN and they will have the UGA tandum back in Detoit.. Calvin, go find a real QB.

43. By Starkicker on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

CJ said: “I’m going to keep on fighting, this is my job, I’m going to keep fighting for it and go out there on Thursday and play like I’m supposed to.”

Wow… if that doesn’t sound like a guy who wants to get the hell out I don’t know what does. Optimism only lasts for so long, I guess. If the players aren’t loyal, why the hell should I be?
    A lock out is the best thing that can happen to this team. Everybody starts fresh in 2012.

44. By Ghost of Bobby Layne on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Iron Mike. OL is better than we have had in many years. Stafford is great but does not know how to fall. Watch the big named QBs. They don’t fall on their shoulders. Every QB gets sacked. Ours falls on his throwing shoulder. I do agree the coach(es) need to address the penalties. Someone wrote the players should be fined for penalties. I agree.

Looking back, we had a good season with Kitna. But our line allowed him to get beat to hell. I remember an announcer saying, He will not last 16 games if they can’t protect him better than that. And he didn’t. Now he has a line that protects him after the coaching change in Dallas and he cleaned our clocks.

We have to allow the coach and players to develop. Nobody feels worse than they do, not even us. But the coach of the offence may need to go.

45. By chris on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

You’re right if you don’t start winning people will leave…..seems to be a big problem in Detroit! I believe if you stick together, keep working hard every practice. the wins will come and they will come alot! The lions are a great team, one of the best in many years. I am excited about the future of this team……I’ve been a Lions fan my whole life and for the first time in at least 10-15 years I see a super bowl bound team. You guys are right on the edge with a few minor kinks to work out!!!!!! Keep your spirits up, and keep fighting, and keep everyone healthy! You guys are going to go a long way if you stick together,stay focused, and never say never!

46. By Ghost of Bobby Layne on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

i hate to rain on the parade, but you do know the players and coaches don’t read our comments, right?

47. By Starkicker on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Well Ghost, maybe they should.

48. By domenico on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

Agreed… and Calvin probably doesn’t even write the post. So what is your point, Ghost?

49. By barryfan25 on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

lionmike/blair…I am in total agreement with both of you. Our O-line and D-line have stunk for years and years, now our D-line is moving in an awesome direction but the O-line is still bad. I appreciate rai and backs hearts but they are done, and peterman…whatever. We have made improvements this year, and I think we are definately moving in the right direction but my god we need to finish the darn game. That Jets game hurt the most….Offseason has got to be about O-line, and secondary. Stafford needs a little more time before discounting him. Its time to make some gutsy calls now to end the season, conservative is pointless right now. Everyone has an opinion and this is just mine…later lion fans!!

50. By Ghost of Bobby Layne on Nov 23, 2010 | Reply

I agree, CJ does not write the post, maybe Tara gets his general impression and she writes it. My point is that if people want to write posts that give advice directly to players and try to tell them to go team go, that is ok. It makes them feel good. But they need to know that the players really don’t read what we the fans have to say to them. But this is a good place to vent.

51. By John M. on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

We do have a good team and a good Coach. But you people have got to understand that we have a great QB also. True, he has been hurt, but he played in the SEC and I’m sure you will all agree that that is no pushover Conference. Maybe Mat needs to go on a Brady Quinn type build up program. In Seattle, they gave Hasselback lessons on how to fall. Hey, it’s football, it’s the NFL, people are going to get hurt…but look what he does when he is in there. IT’S ABSURD TO TALK ABOUT GETTING RID OF STAFFORD! HOW COULD ANYONE FORGET THAT CLEVELAND GAME! GET REAL, THE GUY IS A WINNER AND HE AND THE COACH WILL LEAD THIS TEAM TO GREATNESS!

52. By richard hill on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

This team can play well enough to win.But they have only showed that twice.A win was certain against the jets if the defense held up ,they did not.they relaxed when new york played harder.The intensity is not complete throughout the game.mistakes ,coupled with questionable calls has hurt the team considerably.The running game has been terrible.The backs need to go straight through and stop dancing.,looking for a hole ,let it happen but go straight.There hads been little time for footwork.Go lions.

53. By AJ on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

man i just wanna see a game where we arent hearing the coulda shoulda woulda, and instead how great of a comeback win or blow out on the patriots on thanksgiving day with millions watching will see potential GREATNESS, and not a another pathetic, sad, mediocre,bad luck, whatever in the heck wanna call it same ol bull that the lions have presented year after year, I mean when is it going to end, are we destined to be the Los Angeles Lions, LOL. I hope not. This is a Good chance to see what are guys are made of in a oppurtune time against a more than good team, and I hope they dig deep and play a fundementally sound (NO PENALTIES) Football game. GO LIONS

54. By J.T. on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

pats 59 lions 12. hill gets sacked a record 11 times. we run for our standard 45 yrds. brady is done midway through the 3rd. why?…why should we have to put up with this team that embarass us every got dam week? some of the stupidity on this team really looks intentional. if not, we not only have bad players, we have alot of stupid, silly people on this team. i almost want them to lose this tradition all together and quit ruining everyones meal. it is so sickening to admit to people that im a lions fan. if i handled my job like the lions handle thier’s, i would not be employed and id have no references. seriously where our we finding these idiots. many of you may not remember but when schwartz got hired he said “we need to protect the thanksgiving day game. we need to build a barbwired fence around that game.” ya we’ll see. schwartz needs to make an example of someone. if peterman keeps hurting the team, cut his ass. what do we have to lose? peterson wants to slack off and make kid mistakes, cut his ass.

but ya…59 – 12 pats. dave raynor with 4 fgs

55. By Starkicker on Nov 24, 2010 | Reply

I have a feeling this Thanksgiving game will be worse than the one against the Titans a couple of years ago. Wrecked my damn turkey. I agree J.T. Someone has to be made an example of on this team, show they mean business and they want to win. If I had a girlfriend that disappointed me this many times, she’d have gotten the boot long ago.

56. By Jared Augustine on Nov 25, 2010 | Reply

Keep up the great work guys! I think that a few of the games should have been wins, but bad calls by the refs make it so hard to win. I’m still a little bummed about the call in the Chicago game, and even madder about the “scoop and run” in the Dallas game. Should have been called out of bounds, but once again bad officiating hurts the team. That play changed the momentum of the game, you guys had it, and the refs gave the game Dallas. It was nothing you guys did wrong. Just bad calls by the refs. Keep up the great work – Bounce back.

57. By Ghost of Bobby Layne on Nov 25, 2010 | Reply

Happy Thanksgiving Lions Fans.

Today is the day. Stay calm. Don’t let the game effect your day or your dinnner. I have a movie I can switch to if things go south. Remember it is just a game, it does not have any bearing on our lives or our self worth.

Don’t eat too much or to fast.

58. By Corn Bread - Blah! on Nov 25, 2010 | Reply

Hmm…… No running game, no O line, newly drafted QB with issues, holes on defense the size of the Grand Canyon, inadequate coaching, momentum killing penalties on both sides of the ball, bizarre freakish game changing plays by other teams against you, and lets not forget the worst owner in the NFL………. looks a lot like the Lions of the 1960′s, 1970′s, 1980′s, and the last 10 years (they were mediocre at best in the 90′s, thanks to Barry). Give up Lions fans, this team is snake bit, cursed, doomed, whatever you want to call it but they will never win in any of our lifetimes. If you were to quit watching them now and started watching them 5, or even 10 years ( or even 40 years for that matter) from now, it would be the same story then as it has been for the past 50 years – Garbage. Get the team out of Detroit, petition the NFL for an expansion team not called the Lions, and start over. At least then you would have a chance for success with an owner that cares about winning. By the way, I think the NFL should take the Turkey Day game away from Detroit. Who wants to watch these losers and their bad version of what real football is supposed to look like? The only reason they have this game is because Ford cries about tradition. What tradition? You mean embarrassing yourself every year on national TV? Why do you think the Lions never play on Sunday or Monday night? Because they are the worst product the NFL has to offer and they are just as embarassed as you are of it. Prepare for a beating today at the hands of a real football team. Take some notes Lions fans, and try not to get too depressed. Prediction: Patriots 112 – Lions 2 (Patriots will score 112 unanswered points after a Lions safety in the 3rd, but they’ll keep it close until then – so be proud of that)

59. By Corn Bread - Blah! on Nov 25, 2010 | Reply

AJ – sorry, not gonna happen…… JT – I feel your pain and agree with you 100%, but the Lions don’t handle things like winners so………gave up on these losers years ago and started following the Steelers like when I was a kid. Championships are fun to watch, you should try it – and as a Lions fan you’ve more that earned it. Oh, I hate to burst your bubble but one of Rayner’s FG attempts will be blocked and returned for a TD so only 9 for the Leos – remember, it is the Lions………Ghost – break out that movie buddy! You’re gonna need it.

60. By LJ on Nov 25, 2010 | Reply

I didnt even pay no mind to the rest of ya this time.Love ya Cal.Great attitude and alot a fight in ya regardless of these bad breaks.Keep fightin and things will turn around.Im with you boys today and every day,lets get er done.L.J.
    By the way tell coach to throw that flag when a brotha step out a bounds,tear it up Cal.

61. By LJ on Nov 25, 2010 | Reply

Chris,right on brotha,finally a TRUE LION BROTHA

62. By Corn Bread - Blah! on Nov 25, 2010 | Reply

To Shane Lemcool – What makes you think Vick would ever consider coming to a loser like the Lions? You do realize that they already have about 72 million tied up in their own china doll quarterback, right? Great move by the way since Josh Freeman would have easily been available at #20. But I’m sure you consider Pettigrew a Hall of Famer, right? As far as Schwartz being the best ever – have you even watched any of these games? The Jets game alone shows he doesn’t belong at the helm. One more draft, one more free agency – wow, lay off the Kool-Aid. As far as the running backs are concerned – None of them – including Best – would start as an every down back anywhere else in the NFL. Yeah, I said it. Best is undersized (and injury prone as a result) – just like 31 other NFL scouts predicted while he was at Cal. He is a third down specialty back/returner at best (no pun). Why do you think the Lions were the only team willing to trade up to the bottom of the 1st round to get him (big reach)? Because that’s the kind of ignorant ownership they’ve operated under for the last 45 years (the name is William Clay Ford).

63. By LJ on Nov 25, 2010 | Reply

Danny and Nick your exactly right,but definately need to keep Cal and Coach,please Lord.

64. By Ghost of Bobby Layne on Nov 25, 2010 | Reply

To Corn: I offer you Phil Sims. He did well his rookie year of 79, was banged up and couldn’t play much through 83. People were saying the same thing about him they are saying about Matt. In 84 Phil threw for over 4000 yards and won the Super Bowl in 88 I think it was. We can’t give up on Matt. He has potential.

65. By Ghost of Bobby Layne on Nov 25, 2010 | Reply

I watched the Hidie movie. How did the game turn out?

66. By tired of losing on Nov 25, 2010 | Reply

It turned out like all lions games turn out 28 unanswered points in the 4th. I TOLD ALL OF YOU 3 WEEKS AGO THIS TEAM WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER GAME!!!! 2 AND 14 TYPICAL DETROIT TEAM OF FAILURE

67. By tired of losing on Nov 25, 2010 | Reply

Are there any idiots left that still believe in this organization; or did you finnaly see the truth. the truth is the lions should be disbanded and shipped out of state. maybe we can get an expansion team in a few years and call them the detroit voltage or the farmington hills bluebloods

68. By Rocky! on Nov 25, 2010 | Reply

Amazing what I saw today. Thursday November 25th!
    If Cunningham were the offense coordinator, Hill would never have gotten past the 3rd game as the quarterback, but here we are and he’s still in there! First I have to say that he’s in IDIOT!!! Maybe a really nice guy and a smart player, but he has to be the worst backup in the league! Why would you think that you have to keep starting a complete loser every week and week after week and week after week and … well you get the picture! Only a really inexperienced Head Coach would be so Naive as to believe that Hill could win at this level, with a team like Detroit!!! It turns my stomach so bad to watch each and every week, that I have resolved to give away all my season tickets for the rest of the year! The only thing I’m grateful today for, is that I gave the tickets away today and didn’t have to sit through such a calamity again!
    P.s. I don’t think #27 had a very good game today either. When you have one job to do and you can’t do that very well, you are a lost soul!
    ALONSO, STAY WITH YOUR MAN and TRUST YOUR TEAM MATES TO DO THEIR JOB!!!!!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING~ :O)

ROCKY!

69. By Pete on Nov 26, 2010 | Reply

Man some of you guys have to be getting down. It is something new every week. This week the refs were to bad the penaltize were somewhat deserved. Stafford either has to work out and build some strenght or go. Looking at him on the sidelines he’s getting more chins than a chinese phone book. The hits he took that knocked him out weren’t really that bad. Doubting his toughness. Calvin you played a tough game, keep up the good work. If tow guys start covering you then someone should get open. It’s really getting hard to watch though, week after week something new a new way to loose.

70. By Don on Nov 26, 2010 | Reply

I was at the Game, and we played a great first halve. In fact this TEAM was looking great the way that they were playing against the Patriots.
    Even the Patriots fans that were at the game were looking worried! it was a great Feeling then.
    And then AGAIN! Another BULL SHIT CALL from the ref and everything went Down Hill from there! You can beat a team, BUT you cant BEAT THE REFS!
    There were TWO BULL CRAP CALLS and ALL the Momentum turned the other way!
    And the ONLY thing that I DONT LIKE about SCHWARTZ is the way that he KISSES THE LEAGUE”S behind and is too much of a COWARD TO CALL THEM OUT FOR THERE BULLCRAP CALLS!
    YEP the TEAM DID QUIT PLAYING at THAT time! ANYONE ONE OF YOU WOULD HAVE TOO! WHEN EVERY TIME YOU PLAY YOU SEE THE REFS MAKING CRAP CALLS AGAINST YOU AND YOU KNOW THERE IS’NT ANYTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT, YOU WOULD QUIT TOO!
    IT HAPPENS IN EVERY GAME THAT THIS TEAM PLAYS!
    AGAIN THEY STOLE A ANOTHER BIG PASS PLAY AGAINST US AT THE MOST CRITICAL TIME IN THE GAME!
    YOU LOSER”S ALLWAYS BLAMING THE PLAYERS AND COACH”S WHEN YOU KNOW THE TRUTH!
    THIS TEAM WILL NEVER WIN and IT IS”NT BECAUSE WE GET ANOTHER COACH OR NEW PLAYERS OR ANYTHING ELSE!
    THE RADIO ANOUNCERS IN THIS CITY STINK ALSO GETTING ON THERE AND RAILING FANS THAT KNOW THAT, THAT IS THE REASON THAT THIS GAME WENT SOUTH!
    SCREAMING ABOUT IF FANS WANT TO BLAME PENALTIES ON THE LOSING THEN THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH THOSE FANS!
    NO there is something WRONG WITH RADIO ANOUNCERS THAT REFUSE TO LOOK AT THE TRUTH! WHO IS PAYING YOUR SALERY?
    IT HAS BEEN POINTED OUT IN EVERY GAME THIS SEASON THAT THIS TEAM HAS HAD DIRTY CALLS CALLED AGAINST THEM IN EVERY GAME!
    And that does change the outcome in a game.
    AND THE SAME WAS YESTURDAY! AGAIN!
    EVERY GAME! YOU CANNOT WIN AGAINST the REFS!
    AND WHEN IT COMES TO Players, Yea our GM has done a very good job of getting some very good talent!
    BUT there are TWO WRs THAT WERE kept on this TEAM that NEVER SHOULD HAVE BEEN ON THIS TEAM AGAIN THIS YEAR!
    Derrick WiLLIAMS and BRYANT JOHNSON!
    THE KID WITH THE DREADLOCKS SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN DERRICK WILLIAMS SPOT BUT NO it was Mayhews influance that kept those two Losers on this team! AND THEY BOTH STINK! AND I’m not saying that they need to do a little better or givin more of a chance. THEY NEVER SHOULD HAVE MADE THIS ROSTER!
    THEY HAVENT CONTRIBUTED EVEN A LITTLE BIT!
    BRYANT HAS CAUGHT MAYBE ONE PASS ALL SEASON AND DERRICK dropped another one in yesterday’s game.
    Don’t think for one moment that there is’nt influance from the GM MAYHEW on some of the players that stayed on this TEAM and never should have!
    HOW MANY PENALTIES DID THE PATRIOTS GET YESTURDAY?
    Because they were commiting penalties ALL over the Feild, BUT FOR SOME REASON THE REFS ARE BLIND TO THAT!
    AND HOW many were CALLED AGAINST THE LIONS!
    IT HAS BEEN IN EVERY GAME THAT WE HAVE PLAYED!
    EVERY GAME, BLAINTANT BAD CALLS!
    WHY DON”T YOU PLAYERS GO OUT AND JUST START HITTING THE DAMN REFS! NOW your going to say that I crazy or unfair or a bad sport?
    YOUR DAMN RIGHT I AM, AFTER WATCHING THIS TEAM BEING CHEATED YEAR AFTER YEAR AFTER YEAR by PLAYERS, REFS AND THIS LEAGUE,
    yes WHEN IT COMES TO NFL” NOT FRIKEN LEGIT” FOOTBALL yes, I am a BAD SPORT!
    BUT FOR 50 YEARS THIS CITY HAS BEEN PRETTY GOOD SPORTS ABOUT THE WHOLE THING!
    AND I HOPE THAT THIS CITY SHOWS HOW SICK AND TIRED IT REALLY IS ABOUT THIS LEAGUE!
    This TEAM was playing a good game for half of the game And anyone can pick and choose whatever they want for a reason that this game went south.
    BUT through ALL the years of blambing the coach’s, Player’s, GM’s, and the OWNER MR. WILLIAM CLAY FORD THAT HAS KEPT US A TEAM TO AT LEAST ROOT FOR, FOR ALL THESE YEASRS.
    WELL, COMPLAINING ABOUT ALL THOSE THINGS HAS GIVEN US ONE THING AND THAT IS LOSING!
    MAYBE IT IS TIME TO TRULLY OPEN YOUR EYES TO THE REAL REASON THAT THIS TEAM CANNOT WIN, EVER, NO MATTER WHAT IT HAS TRIED TO DO.
    THE LEAGUE,THE REFS, THE MEDIA!
    AND THEY DID IT AGAIN!
    OH, AND FOR SOME REASON THE TEAM WITH THE MOST INJURED PLAYERS IN THE LEAGUE, AGAIN.
    HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN?
    JUST FATE? BAD LUCK? BULL!
    BY BEING CHEATED THAT’S HOW!
    GO AHEAD SAY THAT IS THE COWARDLY THING TO BLAME, IT MIGHT BE,BUT, IT IS THE ONLY THING LEFT!
    THIS TEAM HAS DONE ALL THE OTHER THINGS OVER AND OVER AND OVER FOR 50 YEARS!
    THE ONLY B.S. THAT THERE IS ABOUT BEING CHEATED IS THE DENIAL THAT IT IS HAPPENING!
    There was one of the Calls yesturday, I think the one for enterferance against one of our CBs and you could FEEL IT. Everyone KNEW right then what was happening AND HOW the game was going to turn out AND that the REFS were going to make sure how the rest of the game went!
    I mean EVERYONE in that STADIUM KNEW WHAT WAS HAPPENING!
    ALL of the DETROIT FANS knew that the GAME WAS BEING TAKEN AWAY FROM US. ANd it was’nt because of our players or the other TEAM?
    Everyone knew that the REFS were going to change the outcome of that game.
    AND THEY DID!

71. By USEDTOLOSIN on Nov 26, 2010 | Reply

Don, check your blood pressure. I think you might have ruptured something. A holding call or a pass interference call shouldn’t end the game but for this team it typically has. I have to disagree with you blaming the loss on the refs. “F” them! It started with that dumb decision by Hill that ended up with an interception and eventually a Pats TD. That took any momentum that the Lions had and from that point on the defense looked like they were shell-shocked. How many times did we hit Brady in the second half? I keep reading about how this team keeps fighting. I certainly did not see that in this game. However, I am in total agreement with you on the poor decision of the GM to continue playing two of the league’s weakest receivers. Hey, but at least we can take comfort knowing that Dallas ended up with that clown Roy Williams. Ha ha ha!

72. By toledo lionfan on Nov 26, 2010 | Reply

iam so sick of losing we are 4-39 the last three years this isnt fun

73. By AJ on Nov 27, 2010 | Reply

YEAH, what don said. LOL

74. By newercomet on Nov 27, 2010 | Reply

Hey, I figured the Lions might win 4 to 5 games before Matthew Stafford got hurt. And then Javid Best and Kevin Smith are injured and Hill. The defense has to rely on too many young guys and too many new parts. I am happy that the Lions look like a real NFL team again. I will worry about the penalties next year. You guys are on the right track now.

75. By g-man360 on Nov 28, 2010 | Reply

I think the swing in the game happened with the bad pass interference call against levy. You could see where the team started to act like no matter what we do there going to give New England the calls. Its horrible how these types of calls have deflated our team. You guys have to keep each other up though fight through the bad calls and battle to the end. If you keep battling and playing with your heads held high the bad calls will stop coming your way.

76. By ryan on Nov 28, 2010 | Reply

read between the lines people, calvin is doing it because it’s his job, not because he love detroit or it’s not for the fans, as time passes with no real improvement CJ has no reason to stay in detroit, sad to say he’s wasting his talent, 3yrd check down throws on 3rd and 10+ to a hb is bs, if stafford was in he’s air it out at least 5 times to calvin, and when shaun hill decides to throw further than 6yrds it’s to bryant johnson the wr with no hands(he’s just as good as if he’s playing with his hands cut off) but my point is CJ is stuck in football hell and i don’t think stats and money are gonna be enough to keep him here, the lions drafted him to help us win games, i’d believe that if they would throw the ball to him, is it sad that i’m already thinking about the potential teams calvin would sign with when his contract is done here?

77. By ryan on Nov 28, 2010 | Reply

attention lions fans, let’s all donate $5 to the “pay the refs for a lion win” fund

78. By Bill Mi on Nov 28, 2010 | Reply

You know watching the Thanksgiving day game was a clear example of two franchises that move in opposite directions…The Lions were out gunned in every way..better management; better draft picks;depth; quarterback;coach…My friends said” the Lions looked good for awhile there”..Bullcrap!…the Pats were on the road after only 3 days off.After a shaky first half they re-gamed and showed the Lions what a good team does…WIN!…They played the Lions like a fiddle..like Charlie Daniels on crack.Seriously does anyone here honestly think that Hill could beat Brady?..Hill is a horrible QB..the ugly sister who sits home on prom night.Is there any hope for this team?..hey TSA don’t worry about patting down the Lions for weapons..they don’t have any.

79. By Corn Bread - Blah! on Nov 28, 2010 | Reply

I think Ryan might have something there. If you can’t beat em – buy em. Hey Don, are you trying to convince us that the refs are to blame for the 39 losses over the last three seasons? How about the worst record over the last 10 seasons of any team in the NFL. Are they also to blame for the record 26 game road losing streak? What about the record 16 losses in 2008? While you’re at it, you might just as well blame them for only one playoff win in the last 50 years too. I bet if you dug deep enough you’d find that the refs were the real reason that Barry retired so early. You’re probably one of those parents whose kid gets into all kinds of trouble in school and blames it on everyone in the school except for your undisciplined brat. It isn’t the refs, it’s this garbage team. There are bad calls against every NFL team every week. The difference is that most real teams in the NFL are good enough to overcome them mentally, unlike the Lions. One other thing about the penalties – Penalties, while some mental, are one sure sign of a team that’s young or low on talent and depth. When you are young without depth, and lack talent at many positions – like the Lions do now and have for at least the last 10 years – i.e.; corner, safety, linebacker,center, guard, running back (yes running back – Best is not the guy, so quit dreaming)- you tend to have a lot of penalties. So do us all a favor and quit blaming the refs – I know they suck, but the Lions have sucked more. Oh yeah – The kid with the dreadlocks? I hope you’re not talking about Tim Toon – Mr Irrelevant – that guy wouldn’t make any other NFL practice squad let alone actually play on Sundays. Just another Lions fan living the dream.

80. By Corn Bread - Blah! on Nov 28, 2010 | Reply

To Ghost- I agree with you on Stafford’s potential but the Lions didn’t draft him to have a couple great years 8 or 10 seasons from now and then go away – like Sims. You know as well as I do that if that is the case, in today’s NFL, no team invests that much into a quarterback and then hopes for the Phil Sims comparison. I joke about the china doll thing. In fact, I don’t think the injury has any thing to do with Stafford’s durability at all. My opinion is that the injury was more serious and required surgery earlier in the year and the Lions (being the Ford influenced Lions) made the call to play him for the sake of fan fare and he re-injured it. You could see him in pain in the Washington game and earlier in the Jets game. And then they try to feed everyone this BS line about how it is a different injury than the one earlier in the season. That’s just crap. And why isn’t he on IR? If they had this team’s best interest for the future in mind he would be getting surgery and placed on IR. Instead they are hoping for a return this season – maybe one of the last couple home games. Why? To put asses in the seats because he’s the only one can after they are 2 and whatever at that point. If it’s experience they claim he needs, I say BS. We’ve seen what this kid can do when he is only semi-healthy and on his game: 6 TD’s and 1 INT with a near 60% completion ratio. And that’s with an undersized center and rag bag guard combo in front of him, no running game behind him, and receivers dropping every 3rd pass.

81. By Ghost of Bobby Layne on Nov 28, 2010 | Reply

Hi Corn Bread. Yeah the Lions drafted him to play with the same success he had a Georgia. The one thing I do know is that I don’t really know. We all have opinions but we really don’t know what is in the future. We all have “hope” for the rest of this season and the following seasons. I hope Matt gets and stays healthy and I hope the lions have winning seasons and get in the playoffs and eventually win a SB. But, I really don’t know if any of that will happen. I don’t know if the Fords sell the team if it will happen. I am glad about today when I can watch football on not really have a dog in the fight, so to speak. No offence Mike Vick.

To Ryan: That is the interesting thing about language. We can read the same words and it means different things to different people. What I hear him saying between the lines is This is my job and I am am going to do it to the best of my ability every Sunday. It is my job because this is what I love. I know too that we never know what really is in the heart so to speak of anyone. Jung called it the shadow side. We never know what is really deep inside anyone. We have to account too for the fact that Tara Altman writes the blog. Is it her taking dictation, is it Tara writing from what she knows of Calvin, does he proof it, or does she rewrite his work? We don’t know so we should not put to much credibility into what we think Calvin means or thinks or may or may not write..

82. By Jon Fillman on Nov 28, 2010 | Reply

CALVIN! Please stay in detroit! We need you buddy!

83. By Don on Nov 28, 2010 | Reply

No, cornbread I am not blambing the refs for ALL the Loses that this TEAM has had through the years. But, I am saying that the REFS make Bad calls in EVERY game that this TEAM plays!
    And That A TON of these Calls have been game changing calls in so many that it is’nt even funny. And when you are trying to dig your way out of the Pit and you have those Jugheads calling crap when your team just broke for a game Breaking pass play that May well determine the outcome of that game and they FIND a way to make a Bullcrap call and take all of our momentum away.
    And I would say that in about 30 of the 40 years that I have watched this TEAM play that, YES, the refs have called enough in those years to keep us out of the running of the playoffs. And maybe 2 years we were medeocre and 8 years just stunk it up.
    I remember a game just last year in which the WR Calvin that many of you are talking about here got knocked out in the Middle of the field and the refs Not only did not call a penalty against the Vikings but also gave them the Ball to go along with it, AND, THAT WAS A GAME CHANGING CALL BY THE REFS!
    Even people in Minnasota were complaining about the call.
    The one in Chicago, I know there were some in the EAGLES game, There has been a couple in EVERY GAME That we have played this year.
    And at least three of those games they were Game changing Calls!
    I remember Way back in 92 or 93 a game against Dallas in which we or one of our WR’s caught the ball and took it all the way to the endzone only to have it brought back because he was called out of bounds and Later on it was shown that our WR never stepped out of bounds.
    Tell you what? You get me the Tapes of all the GAMES that we have played in the last 20 years and I would bet that I could probably find at least 3 bad calls in just about every game we have played through those years.
    And that would’nt be just bad calls. I am just talking about the bad calls against us.
    And if I can’t find bad calls in every game I would bet that the LIONS have more bogus calls that went against them then any other TEAM in the League with the exception of the OLD TAMPA BAY TEAM!
    Schwartz said it all right here: ” When your a 2-9 football team your not going to get those Calls when your a 9-2 Football team your going to get those calls That’s the way that the NFL is”.
    “We don’t have that reputation of a team to make those plays”
    “We need to make those Plays!”
    The thing is that we do make some of those plays and when we do The refs take them away from us.? How can you ever get the rep of being one of those TEAMS?
    And that also means that we arent actually commiting ALL those Penalties.
    It’s only because of the Losing reputation that we allready have that decides weather or not we are going to get calls agiainst us or calls for us..
    SO that Means that you can change the coach’s, the players, the GM? Whatever you want.
    But you arent going to win unless someone in the league decides your one of the TEAMS that they decide are allowed to win.
    So what Schwartz seemed to be saying is that The refs can do whatever they want call a game however they want and there is’nt anything that anyone can do about it.
    Well, then it is the truth when people say that the LIONS will never win in our Lifetime, or at least NEVER win a superbowl.
    Because if the League and refs decide who gets the calls and who does’nt
    and it has been totally clear for 50 years now that it is not the Lions.
    Then what is ever going to change it? Well ,so far it does’nt look like it ever will.
    Anyone can see with ALL the Bogus calls that we had against us this year that we are a LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG way away from anything like a superBowl.
    IN fact with the VERY first Game the Message was sent to us all.
    The REFS CALLED THE ONLY CALL THAT THEY COULD HAVE CALLED IN THAT SITUATION With Calvin and that TD pass.
    That Call had’nt been used in I don’t know how long? But, it got pulled out of the hat on that day. Oh, and Now it has been used a few more times this year.Of coarse it has been used, tracks must be covered.
    The Message was sent that this League or someone somewheere does not want this TEAM “the LIONS to win” and the LIONS arent going to win if the don’t get the approval to win. And I don’t mean a game or something even though that can been done also.
    So NO it has’nt been every Game that we lost because of the refs.
    Probably only about 95% of them were because of the refs?
    And your telling me that In 50 years that All are TEAMS Players, Coach’s, GM’s, Just werent good enough THE WHOLE LOT OF THEM THROUGH ALLTHESE YEARS have Lost All those GAMES just because they could’nt get it done?
    REALLY, You actually believe that? That ALL THAT Losing was because of Lack of Talent? Lack of good coaching? Bad Management?
    50 years?
    If that’s what you want to believe then go ahead. But, I would have to say that you sound like a real sucker to me if you bye that garbage.

84. By AJ on Nov 28, 2010 | Reply

YEAH! WHAT DON SAID

85. By 1SG on Nov 29, 2010 | Reply

I have never responded to any of these blogs but after reading them, I just had too. My father taught me to never give up on your team. My team is and all ways will be the Detroit Lions! During my deployment two years ago, it was rough to hear my friends dog me out. I even received a Lions hard hat which I wore on base when driving a gator or ATV around. I never jumped off the band wagon, I routed for them every weekend. I even sent out on email that Thanksgiving Day and wished them good luck. Let us remember, the Lions had to put up with Matt Millen for how many years? You cannot just draft wide receivers and expect to have a playoff team. There was a lot of rebuilding to be done but I have seen great improvement in the Lions from last year. They have the heart and will to win and I am hoping that this weekend against the Bear, it’s payback time! I sure hope that Calvin does not leave the team as so many of you have posted. I will keep the faith no matter how bad things look. I live in the New England area due to the military but still wore my Lions sweatshirt Friday! GO LIONS!

86. By Lions Fan on Nov 30, 2010 | Reply

Every team gets bad calls & yes some are game changers. The Lions are not the only ones who get them. So time to quit blaming that on losses. Good teams overcome bad calls. Plain & simple.

87. By Don on Dec 2, 2010 | Reply

MAYBE THAT IS TRUE LIONS FAN? MAYBE? Maybe for the Other TEAMS that your TALKING ABOUT. BUT NOT THIS TEAM!
    BUT, SO FAR IT HAS’NT BEEN FOR THIS TEAM IN 50 YEARS!
    But there is One Differance and if you don’t know what that is you must live in a cave or something.
    It NEVER happens to other TEAM’s THAT PLAY US!
    When the LIONS are involved in a Game the Only one that is going to get a BS CALL during that game is the LIONS!
    And if there is one against another TEAM I would ALLMOST bet that it won’t be a GAME CHANGING CALL AGAINST THEM.
    Where have you been LION’s Fan? What Games have you been Watching?
    ARE you telling me that you believe that this team is being and getting the SAME treatment as other teams during this SEASON or any other for that matter?
    AND Like I said Before we can go back and Look at all the Games that this TEAM has played in in the past 50 years and I would Bet that this TEAM has at Least 75% More BOGUS CALLS against them than any other team.
    When was the Last TIME that you have SEEN another TEAM get so many Bad Calls against it that WE won the GAME?
    When was the Last Time that we have won a game because the other TEAM got a BAD call AGAINST IT AT A KEY TIME DURING THAT GAME?
    WHEN? YOU say that, About it happening to other TEAMS. WHEN? How Often?
    Give Me a BREAK! It happens to us ALL the time, EVERY YEAR!
    How many times DO OTHER TEAMS LOOSE thier Franchize QB in the First Quarter or Game that takes him out for the Season just about?
    How many TEAMS does that happen too? Not very Many I bet.
    How many TEAM’s has a LT that has Let DEs just come in and thump thier QB and mannage to have him Taken out for halve of the year? And then when he comes back he get’s taken out right away again? How Many?
    Well, I can’t tell you that answer either, But I know this, that there are soooo many things that do happen to this TEAM that Never happen with some other TEAMS that it is insane.
    And so far it is still the SAME.
    No matter what we change about this TEAM, Coach’s, Players, GM’s.
    It does’nt Matter, One thing that has NEVER changed is the way that OUR players get injured ALL the time and the Way that the REFS CALL THE GAMES AGAINST US ALL THE TIME.
    And having GOOD Players that are ALLWays comming up with a reason for not being able to get it done or just did’nt see the DE comming after our QB.
    Just that one time, Just enough to TAKE THE GOOD QB OUT OF THE GAME FOR THE BETTER PART OF THE SEASON.
    OH, But after the Franchise QB is Taken out, then, well, that dude can play like an ALL PRO.

88. By Corn Bread - Blah! on Dec 4, 2010 | Reply

Wow Don. That’s just crazy. Since we’re talking conspiracy theories here – what was the deal with the coin toss in the Thanksgiving day OT game with the Lions and Steelers? Was the league just giving one back or did the evil empire get the uniforms confused that day? I can’t buy into this “them against the Lions” theory. Maybe it’s just as simple as this: In Free Agency good players with discipline and smarts go to other teams while the Lions settle (usually overpaying in the process) for the leftovers. In the Draft the Lions just suck at scouting talented players that possess any level of common sense or discipline – hence the penalties. The refs are just another reason for fans like you to make more excuses for all the miserable failures of this pathetic imitation of an NFL franchise. Ford is a fraud as an owner- a spoiled rich boy who hasn’t had a clue how to correctly own this joke of a team for the last 45 plus years. How many times has this team been on the verge of “turning the corner” since he’s been the owner? Sell them or move them, who cares at this point – just get us a real football team with a real owner in Detroit.

89. By Ghost of Bobby Layne on Dec 4, 2010 | Reply

Well Corn, as long as the Lions make a profit in gate and concessions Ford won’t sell. He is a business person looking at the bottom line. When fans stop coming to games and the profit line goes above expenses then he will sell out.

90. By Corn Bread - Blah! on Dec 4, 2010 | Reply

Yeah Ghost, it’s sad but very true. The saddest part of it all is that it is at the expense of fans who continue to support such an inferior product and just want to see a winner on the field. I know that I criticize the hell out of this team but I’ve watched them since 1973 make the same mistakes with management, coaching and players and the only sense I can make of it is Ford. I can’t believe that I still watch them – as much as they piss me off. I have to be out of my freaking mind. I think we all are.

91. By Ghost of Bobby Layne on Dec 5, 2010 | Reply

Yeah Corn Bread, I mentioned to my step-son that perhaps I need a 12 step program to rid myself of the Lion addiction. He said it may take more than 12 steps. Anyway, enjoy the game today everyone. Don’t take it to seriously. Think of it as experience building for Drew. If it gets too bad, turn it off and put in a Heidi movie. Or one of my favorites, The Outlaw Jose Wales or Unforgiven.

92. By Corn Bread - Blah! on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Ghost – I think they did a study on Lions addiction and found it to be worse than alcoholism. There is no 12 step program for it. I checked it out. Anyway, 80% of this game was more than watchable until the defense ran out of steam. Lack of depth is a killer, huh? That might explain all the blown halftime leads, and collapses in the 4th – just a thought. A couple questionable calls by Schwartz – should have challenged the spot on 3rd down early in the game – looked about a 1/2 yard or so short and would have forced a punt, instead Chicago scored on the drive. After the turnover to begin the 3rd – offense was too predictable on 1st down, should have run play action because everybody including the Bears knew it was run – really need 7 instead of 3 there and I think they let the Bears off easy after stealing momentum (these are things that good teams do) . Stanton looked serviceable. Calvin was unstoppable when they went to him. Best actually showed a pulse with a couple good plays. Avril looked pretty impressive. Suh was Suh and got jobbed again on a bad call. Trying to find the positives – good therapy, turning over a new leaf. Oh yeah – The Outlaw Jose Wales…… much better choice than Heidi. LOL

93. By Ghost of Bobby Layne on Dec 7, 2010 | Reply

Yeah, the coaching staff needs to learn how to finish a game and make smart calls down the stretch. Best’s turf toe was better Sunday and that is helpful. I was happy with Drew.