Johnson: “A win is a win, no matter how we get it.”

Posted by Tara Altman on December 15, 2010 – 3:24 pm

“Oh man, you don’t even understand, getting that ‘Victory Monday,’ we felt like we had three days off just because we got to sleep in on Monday, which was a long day, so that was good. I was just chilling and then the same thing on Tuesday. I just relaxed, slept in and stayed off my feet.

“A big part of the Green Bay game was our defense. It was definitely a defensive battle the whole game because the game was 7-3, so yeah, it was a battle. Our defense held strong the whole game. I’m definitely proud of those guys. A big play in the end zone, stopped them from scoring a touchdown and that was a big momentum swing and we were able to stay on the field long enough. We saw we weren’t doing too much on offense, but one thing that we wanted to do was stay on the field long enough to give the defense a break. They were playing so well.

“Against their defense, one thing that we were working on is running the ball. We had a season-high 190 yards running, so that was huge. Mo (Morris) and those guys were leading the way with the run, Stefan (Logan) got some good running yards in there too, but that’s what kept us in the game: running the ball, knocking some time off the clock and we were able to pull it out.

“It’s big having a guy like Stefan. No. 1, his main responsibility is special teams. Every time he’s back there, everyone is tuned in because you never know if he’s going to take it back. At receiver, he’s playing receiver with us the whole season and now he’s doing a lot of stuff in the backfield and he’s good in between the tackles because you can’t really see him.

“A win is a win, no matter how we get it. That’s definitely how I’m looking at it. It was definitely exciting, that was the first time that I beat them and I’ve been here for about four years now. It was big.”

Posted in Calvin Johnson Blog | 34 Comments »

34 Responses to “Johnson: “A win is a win, no matter how we get it.””

1. By Danny on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

I think this win was huge for us. Not just to get a division win to end the streak, but because of how we won. To beat a good division opponent, with running the ball and playing defense? This was a huge step going into next year and I hope we can pull off a road win so both streaks will be ended going into next season.

2. By Ulises Barba on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

Thanks LIONS, I’m your mexican fan, and you gave me a smile for a all the week, nice job defense and lets go for BUCS!!!

3. By Michael R. Burhans on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

I, as a fan, enjoyed this win. I enjoyed the grit I saw coming from my Lions. I’ve been a fan for 50 years, and for so long the hallmarks of the Lions have been fading under pressure, lack of effort, and mailing it in on Sunday. I see something different this year. Even though our record is not what it could be, in every game the Lions fought till the bitter end. I saw passion. I saw effort. I saw a deep seated HATE of losing. As a team you all still need to work on finishing the game, it is a habit that takes learning. this week you took a huge leap in that direction. This is why even at 3-10 I am wildly optimistic about the future.

You Mr. Johnson are a major part of that. Your “Do what it takes” effort to make the play, to win the game has obviously inspired your teammates. A number of other players too display this leadership the Lions have always lacked. You, Suh, Stafford, and others walk the walk for all to see, so when you talk the talk I cannot help but think anyone on your team would listen well and take heed. As a fan I thank you for all your efforts, and would urge you to continue your role as a leader, instill the pride in what they do in every player on a level with yours.

Roar on! Lions Pride.

4. By Steve on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

This win made all us Lions fans feel amazing. I haven’t been this excited in a long time. Defense played near perfect and that was nice to see. And although the offense started off slow it was nice to see them score when they needed to. All around a great performance, now lets take care of that road loss record and we can take some huge positives away from this season. Go Lions!

5. By Dr. Stein on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

I live in the DFW market and was so happy when I realized I’d get to see the Lions/Packers game on TV and was even more excited when I saw the final score.

It was great to see the defensive line hold so well and I hope we’ll see that again against Tampa Bay.

My only suggestion right now is to make Drew Stanton promise to not do that dance again. :-)

6. By Tony on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

Big win. I’m feeling good about this week. Tampa Bay sounds like a great place to get a road win!!

7. By Jordan on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

hell yeah boys good job playing 60 minutes!

8. By Ralph on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

I

9. By jon lesnieski on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

Calvin you are right on a win is a win that’s for sure and I’m proud of you guys I was happy to see you beat the number 1 seeded team in our division the greenbay packers and the defense was awsome and the running game was good also and logan is a big part of our team he is explosive and good with his feet as you are with your hands and just so you know you are my fav player you are a beast and the best in the nfl

10. By Ralph on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

I think this win over the Green Bay Packers should us that we can finish out games offensively and defensively

Sorry about the first comment I sent, my computer started to act up and accidentally hit the sumbit comment button

11. By Brian on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

Hey Calvin, Im not sure if you actually ever read this blog (no hard feelings whatsoever) but if you do, I just want to say that its been an absolute blast watching you these last few years since you were first drafted. You have carried your self with pride and professionalism and I am proud to be a fan of yours. I listen to 97.1 the ticket all the time and you do shows with Mike Valenti and Terry Foster on Wednesdays and Ive heard some of your interviews. I just wanted to pitch to you that as a fan, if we keep losing (which hopefully we don’t) that I understand if you want to go somewhere else to win, if I could play professionally like you I’d want to win too, but if we do get better and start making the playoffs, I just wanted to say I hope that youd give it another run here in Detroit. I know that the disappointment you’ve felt these past few years has been enormous, but Id be really happy if we were able to make a strong playoff run with you here in Detroit. Regardless, best of luck.

12. By Starkicker on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

Great win out there on Sunday Lions. That winning feeling is awesome. Just want to take this opportunity to say Merry Christmas to the Lions, fellow fans and the City of Detroit. Things are looking up for 2011. I hope for happiness and prosperity for all of you.

13. By mike on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

i was at this game and it was by far the best lions game i have been to! our D is so young and already scaring offense’s! even with injurys the back ups played great! this shows me that we are headed in the right direction and i’ll explain why. 1st- we WON! 2nd. we had starters out all over the field. and the back ups showed they are all good players, in years past in week 14 everybody on the roster played like crap and gave up and didnt care. THIS TEAM DONT DO THAT! its time to invest all you have left into the lions! throw your hailmary if you will cuz you know these guys will catch it! GO LIONS!!!!!! BEAT TAMPA!!!

14. By mike on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

i need to comment some more lol. when great teams get killed by injuries “like we are right now” they still fight hard to get the win “like we did” and when they are healthy they kill other teams” like we will when we have our starters” dont give up now its been too long of a wait to jump ship while your nearing land! GO LIONS!!!!!

15. By Gus on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

Hats off to the Lions Defense! Suh is a SUHHHHH-NAMI

Megatron, you spent 4 years with the team so far and now that we are making progress dont be stupid and go to another organization! Stick with Detroit and good things r a coming baby!

Next year with some good off season moves we should be a beast of a team, offensively and defensively! GO MOTORCITY MAULERS!

16. By AJ on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

you know a win is a win but i tell you what the only thing in this game that was worth praising is the defense. we really lucked out in this one FOR ONCE. I know were on are third string qb and we really should be glad to even get a touchdown. but how many times do you see jennings drop stuff like that, and it was definetly a win when rodgers went down. i guess we did make a full 60 minute game with oppurtune mishaps, but man we really should have lost this game. there was steal some questionable calls there too at the end trying to milk the clock that make me wonder what the hell is shwartz doing. but u know this team (player wise) is making huge strides, now as far as this current coaching staff being are crew has yet to be seen, the total record doesnt look good in there favor, but im sure management is gonna give schwartz another year and we better see some playoffs or they are all done. there been terrible teams able to turn things around in a year and personally i think we grab a big time coach while there out there(if they even want to come to detroit) but I like schwartz and gunther, not so much scott even though ive seen little things i like better in the playcalling. I just hope this organization is truly commited to putting the DETROIT LIONS in the best position possible to when for a long time to come.

17. By YBARRYY??? on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

The game was ugly and it seemed like that last pass was in the air FOREVER!!! I”m very happy for the Lions players. It was almost like the offensive line wanted to regain their man cards. I’ve been on cloud 9 all week, and it’s only our 3rd win…lol…but I’ll take it! In-Laws are all Packer fans and they don’t really talk a lot of smack to me about my team anymore, but it’s more the sympathetic sorrow comments. It couldn’t have happened against a better team in my opinion. I LOVED the gameplan to get the run going and mixing it up with the QB keepers. Regardless of who starts at QB this week, I hope we have as good of gameplan as we did last week and pull out another W. Congrats to the Lion organization and fanbase as well. I really think we can end the season on a good little streak and hopefully carry that momentum through the offseason and into next year. Keep working hard fellas. The light at the end of the tunnel might not be the train afterall. Lions!!!!

18. By paul b. on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

Geart game D -fence !!! To me it looked like you guys have started to gel”ALL
    of Ya ” 22 of ya or 35 . All that are their to play the game. The coach’s are learning or finely opening things up / mixing things up with the Team . Thats what i hope to see with other year of draft and FA .. The of team get healthly and no the field and see better things. Great job To” ALL” !! You have to play as a TEAM . How go out and get the raod win you should of had after week 1. That should have been the end of the road losses. But oh Well!! next game end it. GO Stefan , Mo , All the as they say back ups .
    Oh and I am in the middle of Packer Land . Thanks !!! smile !!!!!!!!!

19. By paul b. on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

Geart game D -fence !!! To me it looked like you guys have started to gel”ALL
    of Ya ” 22 of ya or 35 . All that are their to play the game. The coach’s are learning or finely opening things up / mixing things up with the Team . Thats what i hope to see with other year of draft and FA .. The of team get healthly and no the field and see better things. Great job To” ALL” !! You have to play as a TEAM . How go out and get the raod win you should of had after week 1. That should have been the end of the road losses. But oh Well!! next game end it. GO Stefan , Mo ,and All of the . As they say back ups .
    Oh ya forgot to say. I am in the middle of Packer Land . Thanks !!! smile !!!!!!!!!

20. By Ghost of Bobby Layne on Dec 15, 2010 | Reply

Oh it feels so good to have our team beat the Packers. I can die a happy man if we finish the season with a win over the vikings. Of course the inbetween games would be nice to win too.

21. By Smitty01 on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

AJ, you don’t know what you’re talking about. Schwartz is a good coach. His team has just had some bad luck this year with all the injuries. Although the record does not show it, the Lions are playing a hell of a lot better this year. A lot of the reason why is that Schwartz believes in his team and they seem to realize that. Additionally, they have gotten better because of the players that Schwartz has aquaired during the off season. P.S. learn some English!

22. By J.T. on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

GREAT WIN.

23. By Ed on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

I have two words for you Calvin

Whooooo Hoooooooo!!!!!!

24. By Edward Huffmaster on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

..nice win guys, i hope this means we have turned the corner, now if we can win on the road, Hell, we can win out and still get a high draft pick so lets go guys ! lets do it ! Also i hope they keep Matt on the sidelines, don’t risk further injury, just let him rest it ,..Matt work on getting stronger and moving in the pocket.

25. By Dan on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

CALVIN – My hope is that you might actually read this blog. It kind of scares me that you are talking about leaving for another team (although, I can understand how you would feel that way). I would hope that you can begin to see that this team is the foundation of “something special” that is being built in Detroit, and you, are a BIG part of that. As you look back on the season, game by game, with a few different “bounces of the ball”, we don’t have a losing record and may even be a playoff contender. To hold the Green Bay Packers to just 3 points was an awesome feat and no one, and I mean no one, would have thought that WE could have done that! Yes, we only scored 7 points on them, but they are a good team and we still beat them.
    We are building something special here in Detroit and I hope that you want to be a part of it. The “puzzle” is coming together – maybe just a few more pieces. Martin Mayhew, the boys in the front office, Coach Schwartz & his staff – they are building a winner.
    Best looking uniforms in the NFL – Honalulu Blue & Silver (and Black). GO LIONS!!!

26. By BILLO313 on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

now we can break the road streak next week!!! keep fighting guys!!! i know we can do it!!! we got a W over green bay!! HUGE VICTORY no mateer the score!

27. By Tony B on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

Having been a Lions fan for over 50 years..I feel pretty qualified in saying that this year they played HARD..stupid at times but always hard.
    This was the best game I’ve seen them play against the Packers since the 40-0 season opener against the Packers some 40years ago.
    I didn’t expect much this year.5 wins is what I thought..BUT next year..the playoffs are very realistic..they only need a few more pieces for the puzzle to come together.
    Stafford needs to stay healthy or next years 1st pick should be a replacement.
    Mr Best, needs to learn patience..and practice his pass catching skills..

I’ve always said ..the hardest thing on earth is being a Lions fan..keep the faith.

28. By Old Boy on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

Congratulations. You guys earned it.

29. By Ghost of Bobby Layne on Dec 16, 2010 | Reply

I hear the coach is going to start Hill if his broken finger is not broken enough. What’s up with that dudes?

30. By Brandon Jetts on Dec 17, 2010 | Reply

Keep it up Calvin!! this team is coming around, just some holes we need to fill in the Oline and CBs and a good late drafter LB and teams will be fearing you guys! and hang in there, our time will come and if it will we need you badly!!! Good luck Sunday

31. By matthew on Dec 17, 2010 | Reply

i dont know if you read this comments calvin but i have to say i haven’t been able to sleep well at night after hearing you say your ready to leave if we cant get it together. completely understandable given we are talking about the fours yrs of your career here. the whole state of michigan loves you man. i have you on all my fantasy teams if i cant draft i trade for you. you are the best reciever in the league in my eyes and i love it that you where silver and blue. you are the only bright spot that came out of the dirty matt millen era. i mean that. i know and you know the lions will pay anything to keep you here. whether that means franchise tagging you. i can totally understand if we dont make the playoffs next yr and you want to leave but please if we do make a run then i hope you opt to stick around. you are michigan royalty man. i put you up there with tom izzo, steve yzerman, barry sanders, nick lidstrom, isaiah thomas, joe dumars, allen trammel, kirk gibson, and mr. michigan himself mike illitch you are in that catagory of great athletes,coaches/owners. just all around a great person.

32. By Jordan on Dec 18, 2010 | Reply

end the streak tommorrow win on the road play smart you guys can do it keep fighting!

33. By lionsfan 91' on Dec 19, 2010 | Reply

calvin you are the man

34. By David P on Dec 20, 2010 | Reply

Finally!!!
    The players are starting to believe in themselves! Good for you guys. I’ve been a fan for 55 years & I’m finally starting to see the development of a real team! I’m proud of the players for never giving up, even in all the tough loses. You guys have shown me more heart then I can ever remember from a loins team. Too bad Barry Sanders never had a group like you guys, he probably would have stayed in football to collect all the main records, instead of quitting football, when, he was still on top. Dominic Raolia, you are my hero!!! I can tell you are a passionate man, by the way you made comments after the Tampa WIN. Good things are coming your way, Shwartz & Mayhew will totally turn this Team into a Playoff team by next year. “MARK MY WORDS” it’s here.