Johnson: “It was good to get that monkey off our back.”

Posted by Tara Altman on December 22, 2010 – 3:19 pm

“It was good to get Monday and Tuesday off. I was a little banged up after the game, and it’s always good to hear that you don’t have to come in on Monday. Still, a bunch of guys came in and got ready, started preparing for this week, so it’s good to see that.

“It was a great feeling to get that win because, one, we haven’t won on the road all year and for the guys who have been here in the past, they know we haven’t won on the road in a long time. It was good to get that monkey off our back and just to get two wins in a row, that was a good feeling. I wasn’t even thinking about the streak until after the game and was like, ‘That’s right, we haven’t won a game on the road since my rookie year.’ It’s been awhile.

“I was able to get the ball thrown to me a couple of times and I always try to make something happen when it is. Drew (Stanton) kept on feeding me and kept on making plays, we got the run game going and we were all moving down hill. Finally at the end of the game we were able to put together the two-minute drive so that (Dave) Rayner could kick the game-tying field goal and then he came back in overtime, after a good drive there, and sealed the win for us.

“I was definitely happy for Drew, for one, getting back-to-back wins, because that hasn’t happened in a long time and I was happy for him for that. Two, for him, being able to go out there and play with a dislocated shoulder for really almost three quarters of the game, I knew that Drew is a football player first, he’s a real tough guy and I was happy for him to get that win in the circumstances presented.

“Definitely this is the time of the season guys are really hurting, stuff just starts to pile on top of injuries and it gets to really be a lot more mental. Once you get going into the game, you’ll be alright for the most part, but it takes a lot of toughness just to get going.”

Posted in Calvin Johnson Blog | 27 Comments »

27 Responses to “Johnson: “It was good to get that monkey off our back.””

1. By Starkicker on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Awesome win, CJ. Great to see the Lions battle back despite injuries and refuse to lose. This team has heart, and it’s starting to pay off. Next up: a little fishing trip in Miami to make it three in a row. All the best over Christmas!

2. By Billy on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

does Calvin really write these?

3. By jake on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

If thats the team that beat “a playoff contender”, not to mention that we don’t have our franchise qb,we are going to really put a but whooping on the Dolphins. I think if Drew Stanton is in there then we’ll have a pretty good shot at winning the game. Next year we are going to be a big contender for the NFC North. All those Espn analyst are already giving a lot of respect to Matt Stafford,D-line, and our wide outs, especially our d-line.

4. By Ange on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Congrats on the road win this week!!!! It’s great to see the team really starting to come together. I live in Packer country so we take a lot of junk for being Lions fans but this year, we’ve been getting a lot more respect from the Packer Backers. They can tell that the Lions have great team members and have had a lot of close games this year. They better watch out next year!! Keep it up CJ! Merry Christmas!

5. By Jordan on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

yeah baby the trend is DEAD! get stafford working out military press build them shoulders and move around in the pocket damnit get some o-line from wisconsin in the draft or the top corner and a wideout to compliment nate and calvin maybe a linebacker and we will be set keep levy and carpenter those are our lb’s go lions

6. By Don on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Great Game Calvin!
    I too want this TEAM to go down to Miami and take another team down.
    Nothin Against those Little fishies, But to Lion’s, Dolphins are like goldfish in a Bowl! (:
    And as far as Vikings go If We jump on them before they Lift thier Sword’s It’s All Over!
    And About Drew Stanton, It is great to have a Home Town Hero, And I have High Hopes that we can Keep our Home Town Hero on this TEAM for Next year and a few More Than that also.
    However, I do have to say that I am one of the Believers in our Franchise QB also, Mathew Stafford.
    And I would really like to know a little more about his Shoulder?
    Not that I want to be a party Killer or anything, Nor do I wish to start controversy, however, I am not understanding what the problem with his shoulder is exactly? Why does it Seem to take so long for Matt’s shoulder to heal up? I have never seen a shoulder injury take so long to heal except for a Broken Collar Bone?
    Anyway’s, I am clearly not a Dr. and so I for sure do not know what the problem is? All I know is that if this Happens again Next year, I for one will expect you to show up back on the field a lot sooner than you got back this year! I am not saying that you are Milking it. But I am thinking that While your waiting for it to be perfectly Healed Your TEAM is Learning How to play without you!

7. By blakhornets football on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Johnson, you are a true champion my friend, the wins will start piling up, don’t worry about that. Them fish are doomed this sunday, you just watch that pesty lions defense deliver some of the most punishing hits you have ever seen. You just keep that offense fired up, and if stanton is hurting and you need someone to toss you a sixty yarder, than i will jump in for free,,, Go Lions Go,,Keep movin the legs johnny….

8. By StaticDean on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

It was great seeing the streak end and Drew finally get a chance. All those preseason games I watched him drive us to victory yet not get a chance to get in to proove he belongs on this team! I was very disapointed with the signing of Shaun Hill this year because it hurt Stantons chance to play. This years front line is the best line he has ever been behind,and i hope he remains the #2 qb atleast and stays with the team!

9. By buczko on Dec 23, 2010 | Reply

DON-a seperated shoulder takes a variation of time to heal depending which type of seperation he has there are six types can take anywhere from a couple weeks for a type one to 12 weeks for a type 5 or 6.

10. By Mike on Dec 23, 2010 | Reply

Hey CJ…first off let me say that you are my favorite player in the leauge hands down…way to get that road loss streak off ur backs…just keep pushing and the wins will come followed by the respect that the lions are not just an easy W anymore..Lions are the best

11. By BILLO313 on Dec 23, 2010 | Reply

KEEP POUNDING!!! we will have a win streak to build off of next season!! i am proud of you guys!! finally winning games and playing smart football. the best thing was NO TURNOVERS!!! thats whats up fellas!!! keep it going!!

12. By Ed on Dec 23, 2010 | Reply

Great job Calvin.

Everytime you catch the ball you are twisting and turning trying to get that extra yard. That’s the attitude that is going to assure we are in playoff contention next year.

Please Matt get and stay healthy!

13. By paul b. on Dec 23, 2010 | Reply

Great Job CJ and to all of you!!! I am sorry happy for the whole team.
    This is not the way you wanted to see things at this time of the year I am sure.
    But , take it anyway we get it . Its more important at ALL of you guys are playing as a TEAM . Great to see all the back ups being able to show what they can do for the team as well. Now lets go out there and get another Win.
    I would love to see the team go out with wins at the end of the year . I do not care about the draft right now . That will take care of its self . I do wish things worked out better this year for the team and Matt, and the other who got hurt this year and, did not get to do all that you guys wanted on offence. I do not agree with these ppl that are saing Matt is made of glass but he does need to show them they are wronge. Next year i guess . A few more FA here and a couple of things there and , the team can have a better year next year. Things are looking better now than a few weeks ago !! Right!!! GO TEAM !!! WIN!!!

14. By paul b. on Dec 23, 2010 | Reply

Great Job CJ and to all of you!!! I am so happy for the whole team.

15. By Don on Dec 23, 2010 | Reply

Buczko, thank’s for the info.
    And Lions Let’s go get another Win in Miami!
    LIONS!

16. By LIONSorDIE on Dec 23, 2010 | Reply

Calvin is the best WR in the league, no questions about it. I would like to see J.Best hit the holes like Mo and stop dancing around. I think that our line on both sides of the ball are playing great. KEEP IT UP GUYS!!!! I haven’t this proud to be a LIONS fan in a few years.

17. By Ralph on Dec 23, 2010 | Reply

Good Job Calvin and congratulations to the Lions on beating the Buccaneers in overtime. It feels really good for the fans to get the monkey off the Lions and I feel they can close out the 2010 season with a strong finish.

18. By Lion Mike on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

I wonder if Calvin fully understands how much he means to this team, the city of Detroit and the Lion fans around the world. This guy is amazing and I hope to GOD that he can stay a Lion long enough to see some playoff games, a NFC championship and possibly a SB. This guy is an unbelievable athlete and a better person. Hard worker that doesn’t say much, but keeps his head down working hard…a perfect fit in Detroit. I sure hope he makes the pro bowl this year and gets some acknowledgement for his contributions and achievements.

19. By Don on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

I hope for ALL of the things that LION MIKE has Writen down here about Calvin.
    From the very Moment that we drafted this Man ( at the time a Very young Man) We All Knew that he was a very Special Human Being.
    A Man that had True Humilty, And that Rare Desire to be able to make things Happen When Other’s Might not be Able to show the Same ability!
    A Christian Man That had the right Goals and Was on the right Path And that we All were and are Happy to have our children and Grandchildren Look Up to him. I Trully hope that Calvin Does not opt to go somewhere else. I for one believe that he was sent here or picked by the LIONS for a REASON!
    And I also Do not believe that the Reason has been finished yet!
    I also believe that if Calvin Johnson Stay’s here and does Not leave to go somewhere else that he is going to end up being Very Happy that he Stayed.
    “You were Sent here to Help Lead this TEAM to Victory, Not for the TEAM to Lead you to victory”!

OH, and for this Whole TEAM, Thank You for All of your Efforts, And Merry Christmas!

20. By Jermaine Jones on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

Drew needs to be our QB of the future! Trade Stafford and go with Drew!!!

21. By Helmedon on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

Anyone else think it’s awesome that Drew Stanton is getting a chance, and doing so well? I’ve always liked him and feel for any third string player. The fact that he’s done what no other Lion’s quarterback could do for at least three seasons says alot about his talent and desire. I would love to see him back next season as our back-up, but would also love to see him get the chance to start somewhere else. I’d be surprised if another team isn’t interested in him but I would like to see him stay. I like Shaun Hill and think he’s a good quarterback, a good back-up, but honestly I think Stanton deserves to be moved to No. 2 behind Stafford. That way when Stafford gets hurt next year we’ll have a proven, quality back-up.

22. By lionnuts on Dec 24, 2010 | Reply

Calvin is one of the best players, if not the best wide receiver, in football. We are fortunate to have him on our team. I believe the Lions have what it takes to beat Miami. They just need to focus. No silly penalties. False starts and those types of penalties are mental mistakes. (I think Ricky Waters cut off his dreads, so no horse collar calls. LOL)
    GO LIONS!!!!!

23. By blakhornets football on Dec 25, 2010 | Reply

When the warriors take the field tomorrow, priority number one, chad henne doesn’t see the second quarter, carry him out on a fkn stretcher,,, go lions, go

24. By lionsfan 91' on Dec 26, 2010 | Reply

” THE NEW STREAK STARTS TODAY”

25. By Old Boy on Dec 26, 2010 | Reply

You know what else was great to get off your back a drought of WINNING STREAKS BABY HELL YEAH!! Better not stop the train at Minnie next week neither!!

26. By SHELLY on Dec 26, 2010 | Reply

ALWAYS AND FOREVER WILL LOVE THE LIONS.
    YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME AND DONT EVER FORGET IT1!!!!!!!

27. By Jay on Dec 27, 2010 | Reply

@lionsnut- Ricky Waters? Where have you been? hahaha, Anyway Go Lions! Calvin you are a beast!