Johnson, Suh Named Pro Bowl Starters

Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on December 28, 2010 – 8:07 pm

The NFL has announced that fourth-year wide receiver Calvin Johnson and rookie defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh have been named starters to the 2011 NFC Pro Bowl roster.

This is Johnson’s first Pro Bowl bid in four seasons.

“The Pro Bowl is a great honor for a player because the vote comes from the coaches and players as well as the fans.  Both Calvin and Ndamukong had outstanding seasons and today’s announcement confirms the NFC coaches and players felt the same way,” said Head Coach Jim Schwartz. “While this is an individual honor, Calvin and ND’s success would not be possible without the help of their teammates and coaches.”

He currently has 1,120 receiving yards and 12 touchdowns, averaging 14.5 receiving yards per game. His 12 touchdowns matches a career best and ties him for fourth in the NFL.

For those who have been around Johnson since he was drafted by Detroit in 2007, this honor is past due.

“It’s an exciting time for him,” said wide receivers coach Shawn Jefferson. “All of us around the Lions organization have seen him come in and work his butt off. He didn’t say anything – he’s very unselfish.

“This is definitely the first stepping stone of his young NFL career.”

Johnson is the first Detroit Lions’ wide receiver to be named to the Pro Bowl outright since Herman Moore following the 1997 season.

“Not only making the Pro Bowl, but being elected to be a Pro Bowl starter definitely says something about how you’re viewed around the league by your peers,” said Jefferson.

“There are great receivers in this league and to be chosen as a starter in the Pro Bowl, that’s a great accomplishment. That’s what you want as a player – you want the respect of your peers. That means a lot.”

Suh has lived up to the hype that surrounded him as he prepared for the 2010 NFL Draft.

His season total of nine sacks currently leads the NFL in sacks by a defensive tackle and sacks by a rookie. That mark also ties him for third in the NFL all-time in sacks by a rookie defensive tackle.

“It’s a tremendous honor,” said Suh. “In the NFL I can’t expect anything more and it’s truly a blessing and something that I’m definitely elated about and it’s only going to make me want to work harder to get back there again.”

Suh marks the first defensive rookie to make the Pro Bowl for the Detroit Lions since Al “Bubba” Baker in 1979. He is the first overall rookie to be elected since Barry Sanders in 1990.

“From day one, Ndamukong has come in here with a great attitude and a great work ethic,” said Lions’ defensive line coach, Kris Kocurek. “He’s very, very focused on the job at hand each and every week.

“He played a totally different scheme in college than what we’re doing now. The transition that he has made into our scheme, I don’t know that a whole lot of defensive tackles in particular could make that transition as fast as he has.”

Suh was sure to give credit to Kocurek and the rest of his teammates along the defensive line.

“If it weren’t for them, who knows what would have happened to the season,” he said. “I’ve definitely got to thank them and Coach Schwartz and the rest of the defense because it’s a total team effort – defensive effort – and I can’t say much more than that.”

51 Responses to “Johnson, Suh Named Pro Bowl Starters”

1. By blakhornets football on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Calvin Johnson and rookie defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh are two great players, and it is well deserved. But let us not forget the other warriors on that team, them pest lions gonna make minced meat out of teams next year. all about hard hitting speed and agility.,,,, go lions go.

2. By Dave on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

So…where can we get pro bowl jerseys?

3. By Dez on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Well it’s about time . Calvin finally gets his due. And to King Suh, it was inevitable. Way to go men . Lions Nation has arrived ! We may have 5 starters next year. Let’s go Lou ! We witcha boy !

4. By blakhornets football on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

i told you we were going to slice the fish, but it is this week, we play like it is the super bowl game. and who else but the vikes, get real mad lions. with their weak QB Spot, we should be able to smack him fast in the first quarter and adrian peterson who was scared to start against ChiTown because it was to cold and their crazy defense is just ballistic,,, Now comes the Lions who are going to smash peterson super hard hits to the thighs, cripple the QB,, and take this one to the house…. Next Year The Lions Will Roll Every Game…. Keep movin the legs johnny…. go lions go..

5. By mickey on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Congradulations Detroit Lions on having the most wins since 2007 you guys are my favorite team and you guys are the best team in the NFL to me

6. By Lion mane Larry on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Mr. Johnson and Mr. Suh,
    Thank you for a great season full of memorable moments. I am one who is sick of so called fans giving up. I see the progress you have brought to our city. You did it with honor and that makes me a very proud fan. I am already looking forward to next year!!! Congrats and enjoy Hawaii for me ;)

7. By Steve Mayo on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Awesome news for Megatron and Suh! Totally deserved and a testament to how far the Lions have come this season. Congratulations to the whole team for playing hard, fighting for every game and pushing for results. Go Lions! :o)

8. By Steve K on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Well done boys , thoroughly deserved :)

9. By Old Boy on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Congratulations :D

10. By Robin on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

awesome congrats.

11. By Casey on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Very exciting. This team is starting to come together. Next season could be special!

12. By Ryan on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Good Job Men, Lets end the season with a win.

13. By Nick on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

awesome

14. By Gary on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

We are at the threshhold of something that we have never seen in Detroit. The great young talent at the skilled positions is unmatched. Smith and Pettigrew will be two years removed and fully healed from knee injuries. we need stafford to stay healthy, a solid draft and Gunther Cunningham to buy the house next door to Chad Greenway and sign him as a freeagent at 12 midnight march 1. He would be a great fit and solidify the D.

15. By Jordan on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

alright my boys got their due stefan logan should have got a mention also and pettigrew he would have made it without a few drops.. you’ll get it

16. By Ralph on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Congratulations Calvin and Suh for being the starters of the 2011 Pro Bowl. It’s a honor for two guys who work hard all year and never gave up. I will be watching it and I know that you two will play hard and get the NFC a win

17. By Ghost of Bobby Layne on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Great news, very deserving. We have a lot of talent and it is beginning to show.

18. By David on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Big ups to Suh and Johnson. Big ups to the entire team, turning around a franchise that has struggled into a contender is in the near future with the great mindset the locker room seems to have. The leadership I see in the videos and on field play is incredible. Go Lions Go!

19. By S.J.D on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Congrats to both Johnson and Suh! Great rookie season Suh and Johnson finally gets the recognition hes deserved since his 2nd NFL season. Great job guys.

20. By demitriustown on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Eat’em Lions…Eat’em up!!! Clap Clap….

21. By Huskers for Suh on Dec 28, 2010 | Reply

Congrats Ndamukong! We in Husker Nation are not surprised by your selection to the Pro Bowl. As a former Detroiter it’s great that your being a Lion has led many in Nebraska to become Lion’s fans. Once again congrats and Go Lions – Go Huskers!

22. By D. Brat on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Great job and well deserved. Been watching nearly every game since early 70’s. With this foundation and coaching staff, all lions fans will be able to hold their heads high next season and more seasons to come. Congrats!!!

23. By Don on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Congrats, Men! Calvin I could’nt be Happier for you With the Exception of the day that You and Ndamukong Play and win the SuperBowl On This LIONS TEAM! And I believe that, that Can and Will Happen!
    I am Trully VERY Happy for you Calvin, You should have been selected Long Before Now. But, Hey Your In Now. Go show the Nation Your Stuff ! (:
    Ndamukong, You are One Great Player That is well Deserving of this Honor Also, And I am Very Happy for you also! Show them How it’s done, But don’t give away any of your Secrets!
    Congrats Men, for a fine Job and a Lot of fun watching you do it!

24. By Preston on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

The Probowl is suppose to be based upon individual performances, that’s supposed to be how it works anyway. Calvin Johnson should have been here acouple times, Jason Hanson set records during the 0-16 season as a kicker and never made it here. Louis Delmas set records as a rookie and should have been here! Stephen Logan should have been here if this is based upon individual performances. I don’t have much respect for the NFL and its delivery of electives into the Probowl, but as a die heard DETROIT LIONs fan I would like to congratulate you on recognition well deserved. I will without a doubt be watching the Probowl for the first time in my life sourly and only because of you guys, don’t ever leave Motown!

25. By Thomas on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

If Calvin or Suh did not make it this year, i would have been super pissed

26. By Flip on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

GO LIONS!!!! I am here to tell you guys I have been a Lions fan long enough to remember watching Joe Smit busting heads in the middle. I have always been proud to be Lions fan. Perhaps this Year I am the proudest I have ever been. I know the injuries will subside and the Lions will be world Champions. ……REAL SOON!!!.Calvin you are the best thing I have seen at WR in a long time and I have seen all of them. Nadamukong You are an Awesome Force in there. Big Daddy Liscome, Alex,K. Larry H. Bubba B. Doug E. are some of the great Lions from the past. Hey You Guys represent the best team I have seen on the feild in my 54 years. You Play as a team .You support each other. you are as willing to give it your All with just secoends left . I couldn’t be prouder of any other group of Guys. Please give a pat on the back to all the 2010 Lions

27. By wendymaddy on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

This has been a very rewarding season for Detroit fans, because the team has shown tremendous growth, narrowly missing winning most of its games by just a few points. Next year should be a real turnaround to a winning team. Hope they keep all the quarterbacks, as all produced well this season to win 5 games and hopefully end with a 6-10 record. There are many standout players who belong in the Pro Bowl, but certainly Calvin Johnson and N. Suh are standouts. Wish our longtime kicker Jason Hanson could have had the recognition he deserves! Well done, Lions, looking forward to seeing what you do at the end and next year! Keep in training, drop any unhealthy habits, get your rest, and eat right! Stay happy, as you are all winners this year and next year should be very, very exciting!

28. By Ghost of Bobby Layne on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Oh boy, here I go again raining on the parade. I have been a fan since the days of my hero, Bobby Layne. I know it feels good to write notes to the players but, they don’t read these posts. Pro ball players are in a world of their own.

29. By Sammydabull on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Congratulations to both young men. Had a chance to meet Mr. Suh and was very impressed by how he carried himself. He was an inspiration to our youth football program this year. Thank you to him for giving his time. Both players are well deserving.

30. By stanley blakely on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Just want to say; congrat guys, you’ve done a great job! the last few week has shown what a little running game can do for you. we’re a passing team, and all we needed is four or five yards out of our backs to keep the defence honest oh! and what a difference it has made!!! keep up the good work Detroit lions!!!!

31. By Golden Kitten on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Congrats to both young men – you have made us proud!

32. By Mike G on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Congrats! Two great players getting their deserved respect. I’m particularly happy for CJ because he could/should have gone the past 2 years, but there is a bais against the Lions because they have been so bad. It is great to see the Lions getting noticed for something other than losses and bad streaks. Things are really changing and I for one don’t want the season to end yet. This should be the first of many for both of them and hopefully a few other Lion players get a chance to get recognized by their peers as well. Congrats guys! I hope there are many more for you…as Lions! Go Lions!

33. By ghost hunter on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Ghost of Bobby Lanyne – What if we’re right and you are wrong? You sir, are in a world of your own.

34. By Dan on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

A big “shout out” to Calvin & Suh – good job guys – you deserve it, for sure!

I cannot say enough about the entire Lions team – coaches & players both! What a great job! Keep it up! GO LIONS!!!

35. By Restore the ROAR 37 on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Hey Ghost.
    Are you telling me the players do not have access to a computer? Do you know for sure the players do not read these? It seems a little strange to me that the players and the organization (who boasts that its all about the fans) do not care to read what alot of their fans want or have to say. I think if this is true, then shame on them. There are a lot of die hard fans(such as yourself) who look up or idolize their favorite players. It gives them the satisfaction to be able to feel like they are communicating to one of their teams players. To all the fans out there, keep posting your notes. I am sure all of your favorite players read what you post at some point in time. If they don’t, well ,then maybe they should.

36. By steve w. on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

i can think of atleast 2 more lions that deserve the pro bowl but hey we got 2 of the top guys of thier position in and i am very happy for them congrats guys have fun and come back next year and kick the crap outta the nfl !!Go LIONS!! AND i cant wait to get the pro bowl jerseies lol

37. By Thomas on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

I told you all after that bullsh!t call against he bears that Calvin would still catch at least 12 td’s

38. By JC on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

i go to college in Honolulu and I’m so pumped to see CJ and Suh go out there and wreck the AFC. LIONS NATION BABY!!!

39. By Jason B. on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Way to go guys, well deserved.
    “una salus victis nullam sperare salutem”

40. By paul b. on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

ABOUT TIME !!! great job both of you.. This is just the start .. right!!

41. By Ghost of Bobby Layne on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

RtR37 and Ghost Hunter: I am sure the guys have computers and i pods and i pads and Kendals and even mental telepathy. But here are professional athletes that have played pop warner football, Jr. High, High School College and now pro ball. I just can’t see them taking time from their day to look up the blog to see what we have to say about this and that and the other thing. They get all the information they want from each other and the coaches and staff and Tara Altman who writes most of the blogs.

I could be wrong I suppose.

But I doubt it.

42. By orrie phillips on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

To Calvin Johnson and Ndamukong Suhhhhhh I’m a die hard lions fan,you two are great congrats you my day, well deserved to the hole lions team keep up the good work. 2011 GO LIONS!!!!!

43. By JB, surviror of milen era! on Dec 29, 2010 | Reply

Coach Schwartz congrats on the last three. The defense played great…great enough to rep the BLACK uniforms. I haven’t seen them since 07. Hope i see’em… you did a great job with the o-line and d-line this year keep coaching’em up.

44. By Scott S. on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

I’m 53 and have been at Lion’s faithful since I was little. I never give up becuase I know the Lions never give up! Congrats to Calvin and Suh…wear the colors proud!

45. By Michael on Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

Jb i hope they do bring back an updated black uni an lions fans lets push for a sunday or monday night game at ford field. sign a petition or do whatever. congrats to megatron & suh. 2011 restore the roar

46. By Another Husker fan for Detroit on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

Absolutely fantastic! Wasn’t even a pro ball fan until Suh made it to the Lions. Now my stepson and I both have Lions stickers on our vehicles and #90 jerseys. We haven’t missed a game. Can’t wait until next year. The Lions are going to roar!

47. By Will "Beatnic" on Jan 3, 2011 | Reply

Congrats Gentlemen…Never lost faith…

48. By Jeff S on Jan 5, 2011 | Reply

TREMENDOUS EFFORT PUT FORTH BY THE WHOLE TEAM. I have never been so pumped or proud to be a Lions fan, thanks to C. Johnson, and SUHHHHHH! I knew SUH WAS THE CORRECT PICK, it was destiny, ha, i believe in such things, I KNOW WE ARE HEADED IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION NOW, I CAN FEEL IT COMING ON, call it Football intuition :) It may take a couple more years, but darn it, WE’RE GONNA BE A FORCE TO BE RECKONED WITH. I also support Levy, VandenBosch, and Corey Williams, as well as DELMAS, these guys are key, they just need to add a few more players and BAM! SUPER BOWL IS POSSIBLE! Jim Schwartz is the gel that holds this all together, He’ll get his due someday, but i think hes an incredible coach. THE BEST IN MY 30 YEARS OF LIFE BY FAR! With “shack” Harris in the front office and Mayhew, I AM FINALLY STARTING TO GET JACKED UP AND EVERY FAN SHOULD TOO! ITS GONNA BE A HELLUVA RIDE

49. By Get Jacked Up on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

Awesome year for the Detriot Lions. They could of easily been 12-4. They lost both games to the Bears because of one bad call in each game. They lost four games by a total of 10 points. If Mathew Stafford played in those four games I say we score those 10 points and end up 12-4 and playing in the Super Bowl. Lion’s already proved they can beat Green Bay on December 12.

50. By Ghost of Bobby Layne on Feb 9, 2011 | Reply

To Ghost Hunter, when one of us gets a legitimate Email from a player or coach in response to what what have written here, I may change my mind upon verification.

51. By Detroit Lions #1 on May 30, 2012 | Reply